Genetic counseling: Offered
Selling medication: Offered
Providing backup medication: Offered
719 Thompson Lane
Nashville, TN 37115
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health to a friend?

6.9

6.7
2 doctors
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
[Vanderbilt's] Weakness: difficult to get in contact with someone over the phone in the event of an emergency. There are several road blocks you have to overcome in order to get in touch with someone who can help. Strengths: Once you are able to get through to the staff everyone is very helpful and supportive.... Jodie [a nurse] is kind and will try her hardest to get what you need done. She is very hopeful and seems to genuinely want everyone to do well.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
I felt that she took the time to talk to me during every visit. I never feel rushed. She always returns my phone calls or electronic messages as does her nurse.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health. (Assigned nurse: Jodie )
Jodie is kind and will try her hardest to get what you need done. She is very hopeful and seems to genuinely want everyone to do well.
What specific things went wrong at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
How was your experience with Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Again, she is quick to return correspondence. She is very knowledgeable and discusses the science behind her decision making. She is patient and will answer all of your questions and look into things that she may not have considered before. She also very carefully reviewed records from another clinic and went through all of her concerns regarding prior treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Dr. Session is very smart and kind but she is not the "warm and fuzzy" type which is perfectly fine given the quality of her care.
Describe the protocols Donna Session used in your cycles at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health and their degree of success.
She has different strategies for every patient depending on what your baseline issue is. For patients with DOR with a low AFC she will consider clomid or letrozole focusing and getting fewer, high quality eggs rather than having patients spend 4-6K on injectable medications that will yield similar results. For patients with mid-tier AFC she will max out medications and prime with estradiol patches or lupron. She rarely does this for the first cycle due to fear of ovarian hyperstimulation. Her strategies are largely patient dependent.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Describe Donna Session's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
For fresh transfers, if embryo quality is fair to poor on day 3 or five she may transfer 2 or more. For good quality day 5 embryos in patients in their mid thirties and below she will recommend transferring one embryo and will give estimates on the chance of multiples if patients have assisted hatching or PGD testing done.
Nashville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Donna Session at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Responsive. They [Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health] learn your name quickly and remember you. Felt like I mattered. There were times that I arrived on time for my appointment however I waited for 20 min to be put in a room. There were times it would be 30 min before anyone came in the room to see you. They have a portal which is nice to see your lab results. The only thing I did t like about the portal was the email option. After the nurse responded, you did not have the option to reply back. You had to start a new email.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Responsive. They learn your name quickly and remember you. Felt like I mattered. There were times that I arrived on time for my appointment however I waited for 20 min to be put in a room. There were times it would be 30 min before anyone came in the room to see you. They have a portal which is nice to see your lab results. The only thing I did t like about the portal was the email option. After the nurse responded, you did not have the option to reply back. You had to start a new email.
Human as her bed side manners were comforting, however at times it felt like she was rushing thru conversations.
Nurses were compassionate and listened to what you had to say. It is a stressful situation for all involved, especially the staff. I can’t imagine working in that environment and having to deal with such a sensitive subject.
First meeting felt rushed and talked dr instead of more of a one on one matter of fact details. Appointments after that seemed more one on one and relaxed. I loved that she explained everything she did step by step and would show you what she was doing if she was able to.
She can be stand offish at first, but she warms up.
I was prescribed Clomid on my first round. It made me crazy! When I went back for a follow up, she listened to what I had to say and adjusted accordingly. She assured me that it was normal for some women. She changed the medication for the next round and I was finally back to my normal self. We did three rounds total with one round of IUI. We were hopeful, however it did not work out and I gave my body a break to recover.
Costs were covered by insurance. If they weren’t I was billed, however, I wish they would have told me at each appointment if there was a balance due instead of waiting till we stopped treatments to send bills that were 3 months old.
Na
Nashville

Vanderbilt Clinic is very large. I prefer a smaller office. I see Dr. Session at the 100 Oaks facility and it feels like an airport. It is nice that everything is in one location, but I am happy that she is moving to a smaller office end of May....Dr. Session has always been very kind and knowledgable. I never feel like I am just another patient. She takes her time and is compassionate.
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Most of the nurses that I have seen have been great. I did have one experience with a nurse that was bland. She was not one of Dr. Sessions nurses and was filling in since I was the Doctors only patient that day.
Dr. Session is the other person that I see. Each visit she is the one who does the ultrasounds, gives me info, etc. I have never had an appointment where I didn't see her. On my first visit there was a student doctor in the room who took notes for me and helped Dr. Session explain things. It was very helpful! She is quiet and doesn't get excited or have that type of personality, but she is kind. I never feel rushed or feel that she is in a hurry.
Have questions ready to ask before you go to your appointment. Keep notes and don't be afraid to ask her anything.
When I had started seeing Dr. Session I had already been through 4 rounds of clomid, unmonitored. She immediately recommended switching to Femara. She was never pushy about any treatment. We are currently on our second round of Femara with Trigger shot. She is allowing us to decide when we are ready to move into IUI.
Luckily, my insurance covered anything that had to be done to determine why I am not able to get pregnant. I did have to pay a co-pay for each visit and my ultrasounds, thus far, have only cost me $30 out of pocket for each. The trigger shots cost $162 each and were not covered by insurance at all. Fertility meds have been $7 each month.

2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Loved them [the staff at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health] . When I got a good ultrasound, they would cheer with me and get me a special envelope to hold it in. They said they looked forward to my weekly visits and made me feel comfortable....I felt he truly knew what he was doing but explained things to me in a way that I could understand the doctor jargon. He [Dr John Lucas] was kind and not pushy. Respectful and genuinely got upset when he learned that other doctors had not pursued my issues earlier.
2013 - 2014
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
The ultrasound tech was AMAZING. I've had compliments on her ultrasounds from the early days. They are organized and helpful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Lucas at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
He looked me in the eye, respected my ability to know my own body and was kind and gentle through my 4th miscarriage. He stayed late to do an ultrasound when I was nervous with my successful pregnancy. Had a great sense of humor.
Loved them. When I got a good ultrasound, they would cheer with me and get me a special envelope to hold it in. They said they looked forward to my weekly visits and made me feel comfortable.
How was your experience with John Lucas at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
I felt he truly knew what he was doing but explained things to me in a way that I could understand the doctor jargon. He was kind and not pushy. Respectful and genuinely got upset when he learned that other doctors had not pursued my issues earlier.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Lucas at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
Trust him and be thankful he's your doctor. He's the best there is.
Describe the protocols John Lucas used in your cycles at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health and their degree of success.
He did extensive bloodwork which helped us figure out the issues. I have MTHFR which makes it difficult for my body to use folic acid (a true need during pregnancy). I remember Dr. Lucas actually getting his laptop and searching the right folate for me on the internet so I would know where to get the correct vitamin I needed to take (Methylated Folate). Also, he put me on progesterone for the first trimester since mine would tank each time around 6-7 weeks. I had weekly ultrasounds from week 7-13. Then he cleared me for general pregnancy treatment and got me hooked up with the practice I wanted to deliver my baby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Lucas at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
$1500 for miscarriage d&c. A few $20 copays. All other costs factored into pregnancy/delivery through insurance.
John Lucas
Nashville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with John Lucas at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
They [the nurses at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health] are the absolute best. They inform you daily with lab results and the recommendation from the doctor. They are considerate of your time. Always happy and smiling.... First cycle-high doses of Gonal-F, high doses of menopur, and cetrotide. Second cycle-more of a mini ivf cycle. Letrozole, Gonal-F 75, Menopur, and cetrotide. The thought was to do lower doses but for an extended period. This was in hope that my ovaries would respond better.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Weakness is the office manager. She is unprofessional, unorganized, and overall insensitive to the infertility and financial aspects. She is the worst part of this clinic.
Dr. Session is amazing! Her care and personality are wonderful. I got all the answers I needed and never had to second guess her medical decisions for me. I was allowed to be an active participant in my care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Hollie)
They are the absolute best. They inform you daily with lab results and the recommendation from the doctor. They are considerate of your time. Always happy and smiling.
Dr. Session was on point and told me what to expect and the potential outcomes. I always have the big picture, good and bad. She is also very caring and loving, and you feel that you are her priority when she is with you.
Expect the truth. She is not rude but she is going to let you know what you need to hear.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
It was convenient for my schedule.
All office and doctor costs were in network. All lab costs were out of network with my plan.
Nashville

If you are going to Dr. Session as an RE, the office setup can be a problem. She shares a large office with OBGYN group. This means there will be children, babies, and pregnant ladies in the waiting room. This can be a painful trigger for many undergoing fertility treatments. ... The cost of the hysteroscopy at Vanderbilt was around $22,000. After insurance coverage, we paid $2,500.
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Vanderbilt is a teaching hospital so there was always a student with Dr. Session. She would ask if they could participate in the exams, but it does feel a bit like you are a spectacle.
Dr. Session sat with me for a long time in my first visit with her going over my past history and what she would recommend moving forward. She is very analytical and lays out her reasoning for her choices, siting studies she has read and other doctors in the field. She performed a hysteroscopy on me to remove calcium deposits. Unfortunately, she did not have a lab to perform IVF at Vanderbilt. If she did, I would have done an IVF cycle with her.
Hysteroscopy to remove calcium from the uterus.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
You see the same two nurses each time and they are both very friendly and kind....It's a nice mix demographic in the waiting room [Vanderbilt Ctr for Women's Health] so does not feel heavy and depressing like most RE offices. Staff is very kind and welcoming. Waiting room feels like a regular office visit. Only weakness is that it is pretty busy and can sometimes take a long time to be able to even sign in.... Dr. Session was at every appointment and even does the base line ultrasound. .
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
It's a nice mix demographic in the waiting room so does not feel heavy and depressing like most RE offices. Staff is very kind and welcoming. Waiting room feels like a regular office visit. Only weakness is that it is pretty busy and can sometimes take a long time to be able to even sign in.
Dr. Session was at every appointment and even does the base line ultrasound. .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health. (Assigned nurse: Casey)
You see the same two nurses each time and they are both very friendly and kind.
Dr. Session is very welcoming caring and understanding. She treats you like a human and not a number. It's very obvious her passion for the research side of things and finding out exactly why it's not working for you. Knowing she loves the research behind it all is very comforting because I believe she won't do a procedure she truly doesn't think will work.
Book asap b/c she is booked up.
Chlomid days 3-7, menopur day 9 and trigger and IUI.
Nashville

Associated with Vanderbilt and they [Vanderbuilt Center for Women's Health] have amazing resources. In my opinion I was disappointed with the approach, I was hoping she would think more out of the box or at least be more proactive to my history ... They [nursing staff] were all very nice, but didn’t work closely with any ... I was misdiagnosed originally with a bicornuate uterus when I really had a septate uterus. All REs have recommended single due to uterine anamoly ...
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
Associated with Vanderbilt and they have amazing resources. In my opinion I was disappointed with the approach, I was hoping she would think more out of the box or at least be more proactive to my history
We did a consult and was not impressed. It was like she didn’t look at my chart and at the time of seeing her I had done 4 IUIs and 1 retrieval with 3 failed transfers
They were all very nice, but didn’t work closely with any
We did not feel comfortable with her or he clinic after our initial consultation. We had already seen two other REs and they were much more impressive. I don’t feel like she looked at my chart. I had to correct several things she said. She was willing to work with a repductive immunologist and that may have helped but we did not feel she fit our complex case
Be prepared to ask your questions.
We did not proceed after consultation
I had some coverage with work and we did not proceed so not sure costs

2012 - 2013
The clinic was fine, needs a new doctor [Dr. John Lucas has since left] that doesn't make infertility jokes....He never remembered anything about me. Every time I went in it was like meeting him for the first time again....The doctor didn't care at all. You were just a number....The nurses were great, I wish the doctor was up to their standards.
2012 - 2013
Describe your experience with Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health.
The clinic was fine, needs a new doctor that doesn't make infertility jokes.
The nurses were great, I wish the doctor was up to their standards.
What specific things went wrong at Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health?
One situation sums it up: He "diagnosed" me with PCOS after only running a few blood tests. No ultrasound to examine my ovaries either. He also forgot to give me this diagnosis. One day he casually mentions my PCOS and I tell him he never told me that before. He then proceeds to debate me on that point. I got a new doctor and I did not have PCOS at all.
Just don't go.
Threw me on clomid and that was that.
John Lucas