Acupuncture is not offered

336-716-0665
131 Miller Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27157
336-716-6476

Dr Johnston takes the time to sit and explain everything with you. She validates your feelings, fears, concerns and frustrations. She is sensitive to your specific needs as her patient and involves you in the decision making process.... She started me on femara with Ovidrel with timed intercourse following 2 failed rounds of clomid. We then moved to injections of menopur with ovidrel for three IUI cycles, in hopes of increasing my number of mature follicles
It [Wake Forest U] is a small office feel, in that most of the staff begins to recognize you after a few visits. The appointments for US and labs are difficult to schedule, and the office is only open during normal business hours. Early morning, weekend, or extended hours are not an option for monitoring...Correct Menopur dosage failed to be communicated after lab results came back in the middle of third IUI cycle. Had to call MD on call in the evening who laughed when I did not know the results of my labs from that day.
How was your experience with Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Wake Forest University?
Dr. Johnston communicates effectively with her patients, even calling them herself at home if questions arise. She has made every effort to include us in decision making for treatment options. There have been several times where she has spent additional minutes out of her busy day talking to us like people, not just her patient and spouse. Her bedside manner is second to none.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Wake Forest University?
She is worth waiting weeks for an appointment with.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Wake Forest University?
Dr Johnston takes the time to sit and explain everything with you. She validates your feelings, fears, concerns and frustrations. She is sensitive to your specific needs as her patient and involves you in the decision making process. She has made an effort to get to know little details about us, such as our favorite things to do together on weekends, places to eat, favorite foods, etc.
Describe the protocols Erika Johnston-MacAnanny used in your cycles at Wake Forest University and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Wake Forest University.
The nursing staff has failed short a few times on communicating effectively, especially late in the day as the clinic is about to close. New medication side effects are never discussed and compassion is rarely shown. I know they work hard and are very busy, but I feel more could be done with educating the patient before they leave to office.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
It is a small office feel, in that most of the staff begins to recognize you after a few visits. The appointments for US and labs are difficult to schedule, and the office is only open during normal business hours. Early morning, weekend, or extended hours are not an option for monitoring, which is a challenge when you work full time. Additionally, appointments are almost never on time, with a wait time of usually at least 15 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Wake Forest University.
most not covered under insurance. Injectables for IUI were partially covered as were labs. The IUI and numerous US are out of pocket expenses
What specific things went wrong at Wake Forest University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Wake Forest University.
-Prometrium not called in to the pharmacy or even mentioned after the first IUI procedure. (went home and found instructions on the back of a piece of paper that stated "start prometrium 3 days post IUI. I called and the RN assumed I had the meds already) -Correct Menopur dosage failed to be communicated after lab results came back in the middle of third IUI cycle. Had to call MD on call in the evening who laughed when I did not know the results of my labs from that day. -Lab results not released to me via mychart portal

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
I was pleased with the way the doctor [Dr. Erika Johnston-MacAnanny] and nurses treated me. However, -after a failed IVF there was not much talk after. I felt as though my IVF was failed after I was told there was close to 80% chance of success, and there was no explanation why...She made us feel like everything was going to go great and we had great chances for success. However, after only 1 embryo to make it out of 10 eggs and no explanation, I was kind of put off. There was no "answers" to be had, however Dr Johnston did seem compassionate and understanding about the cost of treatments and not being able to afford further treatments
Strengths [at Wake Forest University] - good staff, friendly, and organized. Weakness- I believe something failed with the lab and that is why our embryos fragmented. The embryologist was hard to understand and not able to explain why...Nursing staff was very attentive and readily available. They were friendly most days and informative. However, I do not feel they connected with each patient as much as Dr Johnston did...I used menopur, Lipton, /and gonal F during treatments. We used a birth control antagonist protocol before Begining. We did this because she [Dr. Erika Johnston] said we should have great eggs, egg quality, and be able to produce lots of good embryos given an Unexplained dx, and young age.
She was very nice and informative. She spent quite a while with my husband and I and answered any questions I had. She made us feel like everything was going to go great and we had great chances for success. However, after only 1 embryo to make it out of 10 eggs and no explanation, I was kind of put off. There was no "answers" to be had, however Dr Johnston did seem compassionate and understanding about the cost of treatments and not being able to afford further treatments
Go in knowing that although you could have a 99% chance of conceiving, things still may go wrong.
I was pleased with the way the doctor and nurses treated me. However, -after a failed IVF there was not much talk after. I felt as though my IVF was failed after I was told there was close to 80% chance of success, and there was no explanation why.
I used menopur, Lipton, /and gonal F during treatments. We used a birth control antagonist protocol before Begining. We did this because she said we should have great eggs, egg quality, and be able to produce lots of good embryos given an Unexplained dx, and young age.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
Strengths - good staff, friendly, and organized. Weakness- I believe something failed with the lab and that is why our embryos fragmented. The embryologist was hard to understand and not able to explain why.
I paid for all blood draws. Typically about $100 each time. I also was billed for some of the IUI, and for IVF. Still currently owe about 5,000 from last IVF
Winston-Salem

I feel like Dr.Deaton is very good at what he does and examines your results and is very thorough with his instructions for your next step. My experience as a patient has been very good, although we have not conceived yet, I will continue my treatment process with dr Deaton soon...Dr Deaton has very good bedside manner and is willing to answer any questions you have...Be open with what your plans are so that you and him are on the same page with treatment.
The overall staff at this clinic [Wake Forest University] are very friendly and helpful and seem to be there for you every step of the way. You will not see the doctor at every visit. Most of my visits were blood work, followed by ultrasound then consult with the nurse who would then be in touch with me later that day to tell me what my instructions were...The nursing staff at Dr Deatons office are some of the best. They are very friendly and compassionate. They respond to messages quickly.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Deaton used in your cycles at Wake Forest University and their degree of success.
With my insurance not paying for any medications we tried femara for several months paired with ovidrel trigger shot. We got pregnant the first month there and unfortunately I had a miscarriage. We tried several more months of that same procedure with no luck. We finally tried the femara with trigger and IUI. No luck there either. They always leave it up to you as to how aggressive you are wanting to go with treatment.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
The overall staff at this clinic are very friendly and helpful and seem to be there for you every step of the way. You will not see the doctor at every visit. Most of my visits were blood work, followed by ultrasound then consult with the nurse who would then be in touch with me later that day to tell me what my instructions were.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Deaton at Wake Forest University.
My insurance did not cover medication, so I was paying around 100$ for the trigger shot every month. And around 4-5$ for the femara. The IUI was more expensive as I cannot remember the exact cost.
Jeffrey Deaton
Winston-Salem
She [Dr. Johnston-MacAnanny] was from our home state and knew of where we went to school. She shared the experience of being away from a place we called home and gave us suggestions about where to find good food. Whenever we got what felt like bad news she was able to give us an action plan as well. She also reassured use after getting poor HSG results back. She was able to provide a diagnosis after years of misdiagnosis.
It was hard to find the [Wake Forest University] clinic but I enjoyed that it was quiet. The waiting area was dark. The new clinic is beautiful! And much easier to find. I like that they now have their own stand alone office...Paid over 5000 trying to get pregnant between the HSG and the laparoscopy...[clinic error]I had new insurance and needed blood work, I wasn’t informed of the time sensitivity of the blood work and missed a cycle.
She was from our home state and knew of where we went to school. She shared the experience of being away from a place we called home and gave us suggestions about where to find good food. Whenever we got what felt like bad news she was able to give us an action plan as well. She also reassured use after getting poor HSG results back. She was able to provide a diagnosis after years of misdiagnosis. She completed a laparoscopic surgery that resulted in minimal scaring.
Be open to what she suggests and take it into consideration even if the suggestion goes against your original expectations.
She was very warm and was able to establish rapport with us quickly. She took her time and gave great suggestions.
Describe your experience with Wake Forest University.
It was hard to find the clinic but I enjoyed that it was quiet. The waiting area was dark. The new clinic is beautiful! And much easier to find. I like that they now have their own stand alone office.
Paid over 5000 trying to get pregnant between the HSG and the laparoscopy. Then the bloodwork when I did not have insurance it was all very exspensive.
What specific things went wrong at Wake Forest University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Wake Forest University.