Annandale
Rockville
14955 Shady Grove Rd.
Rockville, MD 20850
703-658-3100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington Fertility Center to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 1Neutral: 1Don't recommend: 17
6.5
2 doctors
This [Wash Fert Ctr] is not a fancy place. They're smart, they're caring, and they've done this for awhile, but they're a lean operation. I had straightforward needs - no infertility diagnosis and natural cycle IUIs...If you need a ton of hand-holding or want the front office to run like clockwork they may not be right for you, but if you're looking for a less-expensive, capable option for fertility treatment, they're a great alternative to the bigger operations in the area.
Describe your experience with Washington Fertility Center.
This is not a fancy place. They're smart, they're caring, and they've done this for awhile, but they're a lean operation. I had straightforward needs - no infertility diagnosis and natural cycle IUIs - and they have been great at treating me for both of my pregnancies (one live birth, one 10 weeks along). If you need a ton of hand-holding or want the front office to run like clockwork they may not be right for you, but if you're looking for a less-expensive, capable option for fertility treatment, they're a great alternative to the bigger operations in the area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicole Banks at Washington Fertility Center?
Dr. Banks always remembered details of my case, greeted me warmly, and asked about my daughter. Our appointments felt like a continuing conversation rather than rapid processing. She always takes time to answer questions, explain procedures, and set expectations.
It's a lean operation. They don't so much have nurses as supporting staff. I like them all and they treated me well, but the primary relationship is with the doctor.
How was your experience with Nicole Banks at Washington Fertility Center?
Dr. Banks is warm, intelligent, and thoughtful. She made me feel like we were partners in the process. One little difference that I love is that she always angles the ultrasound monitor screen so that I can also see it, and describes to me what she's seeing. I felt so much more knowledgeable and better able to participate in decision making. I appreciated that she respected my personal preferences, risk assessments, and decisions, while always providing counsel to help me make an informed decision (e.g., when I decided to cancel an IUI cycle because I didn't like the follicle maturation pattern, or when we decided to try one cycle with Clomid).
Describe the protocols Nicole Banks used in your cycles at Washington Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We primarily did natural cycle IUIs. I have no diagnosed fertility issues - doing IUI because I'm a single mother by choice using donor sperm. I appreciated that Dr. Banks did not make me do extensive fertility testing before starting treatment, as all of the testing would have been out of pocket. She was very thoughtful about what was truly required versus nice to have, and let me make the cost/benefit trade off. When I had a few cycles that were "off" - the follicle wasn't maturing at my normal pace and ovulation was delayed - we tried one cycle with a small dose of Clomid. We did not do an IUI that month since I produced 10+ eggs and she said that even if I was willing to go through with insemination, she wasn't (very fair!). We went back to natural cycles after that, though she said that if we ever needed to move to IVF, we know my body responds well to Clomid. My pregnancy is the result of a natural cycle IUI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicole Banks at Washington Fertility Center.
Their care is so much less expensive than any of the other area options! My natural cycle IUI cash rate should have been a $795 flat fee (includes all ultrasounds and blood work), but they actually grandfathered me into the rates from my first pregnancy with them, so I paid even less than that.
Describe Nicole Banks's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington Fertility Center.
We didn't discuss embryo transfer, but did discuss the number of mature follicles that she was willing to proceed with for an IUI. She said that two would be a conversation, but not a major concern. Three mature follicles would be a very serious conversation and potentially counsel to not proceed. Four or above she would not be willing to proceed with the IUI.
Nicole Banks
Annandale
IUI, Donor Sperm
Disorganized, but cheaper than any of the other options I found in the area...Doctor [Pierre Asmar]was cheerful but not detail-oriented. Never felt like he really understood/remembered that I was there because I'm a single mother by choice, rather than that I had diagnosed fertility issues...Ask questions and be alert. I learned most of what I needed to know by listening to the conversation between the doctor and the staff and asking for clarification about what they were saying.
IUI, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Washington Fertility Center.
Disorganized, but cheaper than any of the other options I found in the area.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pierre Asmar at Washington Fertility Center?
The office was odd. It looked like a front for a criminal enterprise - no filing cabinets behind the front desk, no land line, difficulty answering questions without calling the main location, difficulty making appointments (they write my time on a piece of scrap paper and said they'd call me back if it wouldn't work out). Doctor came in and said, cheerfully, "you know the drill!" even though it was my first visit. I eventually figured out they were expecting me to undress for a vaginal ultrasound. Hard to feel either like a number or a human when the whole place just felt disorganized.
What specific things went wrong at Washington Fertility Center?
How was your experience with Pierre Asmar at Washington Fertility Center?
Doctor was cheerful but not detail-oriented. Never felt like he really understood/remembered that I was there because I'm a single mother by choice, rather than that I had diagnosed fertility issues.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pierre Asmar at Washington Fertility Center?
Pierre Asmar
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
They [the staff at Washington Fertility Center] were professional and efficient but very human and kind...I don't remember having any problems with this practice. I don't think we ever felt hurried or ignored. I'm sure we would have gone on to the next option after we tried an unsuccessful insemination, but we moved.
2009 - 2010
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
They were professional and efficient but very human and kind
How was your experience with Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
She was thorough and open. We liked her.We did not work with her for very long because we moved out of the area. She was personable and careful. We trusted her and would have continued with her if we had not moved. I don't remember having any problems with this practice. I don't think we ever felt hurried or ignored. I'm sure we would have gone on to the next option after we tried an unsuccessful insemination, but we moved.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center?
She seemed very genuine. We had a good experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rafat Abbasi at Washington Fertility Center.
Covered by insurance