Washington University School of Medicine

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
4444 Forest Park Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63108
314-286-2400
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 55Neutral: 8Don't recommend: 69
I expect a response within a day but these girls [staff at Washington University School of Medicine] are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!...I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization...It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There's not much to say about this. It's a clinic and I loved my doctor and his nurses! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
From the beginning, Dr. Omurtag was kind, easy to talk to and very thorough. His staff reflects this, they are just as incredible! He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that. Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessie and Kathy)
Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done! I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization.
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
YES! He is great at what he does and you can tell in his heart he wants to help you get pregnant!
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
He gave me options, we could very aggressive and go straight to invitro or go a slower route. I decided to go an even slower route than what he offered which he was completely supportive of! Month 1 consisted of starting thyroid medicine and having my tubes flushed, then me and my husband trying spontaneously. If that did not work the next month I was going to start Clomid but we did not get to that point :) He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
My us and tube cleaning was not covered by my insurance, it was 280 for the u/s and 720 for the tube cleaning.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The volume of patients and staff allows them [Washington U School of Medicine] to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge.... Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients.... The line to check in can get long some days but once checked in blood draws and Ultrasounds are done quickly.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
In my opinion this is the only place to go for fertility treatment in the St. Louis area. The volume of patients and staff allows them to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge. They also have their own embryology lab and the ability to do your egg retrieval on Sundays if that's when your follicles are ready. Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients. This means you don't have just one doctor, you have six physicians collaborating on YOUR plan. Also they have the entire Barnes Jewish Hospital complex and doctors at their disposal. This means that for example if you have endometriosis that requires surgery, they can refer you to someone in their system who can perform your surgery. Because they share that same computer systems, all the physicians are on the same page about your care. Weaknesses include: lack of privacy when checking in; the woman checking me in always asks if I want to pay my bill before I've ever received a bill in the mail; the Ultrasound techs are not friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
The staff and Dr. Keller all seem invested in a positive outcome for us. When I came in with suspected miscarriage everyone was very somber and supportive. It seemed like they were disappointed along with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Amy is very knowledgeable and professional. She is prompt to call with results and communicates effectively with Dr. Keller and her patients. She's not particularly friendly but I trust her.
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable and an expert in her field. I've never felt she has pushed us into spending more money than we absolutely have to. She has not recommended PGS testing for our second IVF cycle, citing that it does not improve birth rates. She never rushes us out of the office and takes the time to answer all questions thoroughly. She often seems flustered or nervous and for that reason I would recommend other doctors in this practice over her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Do your research. Ask questions. Tell her what's bothering you. Trust her plan of care.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
In 2016 I did 3 clomid IUIs without trigger shot. None were successful and I was disappointed that no Ultrasound or hCG blood levels were obtained during any of the cycles. I didn't see Dr. Keller at all during this time and really felt like nobody cared if they were successful or not. Cycle 1 IVF was better. I do not have ovulatory dysfunction so Keller recommend an agonist protocol for my first IVF cycle. In retrospect I responded quickly to the medications, maybe too quickly because we got 10 eggs and only 2 5-day embryos. Our fresh transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy and our FET resulted in a miscarriage at 7 weeks. Dr. Keller said that a quick stimulation can result in poorer egg quality. For cycle two she is doing a long antagonist which will hopefully allow slower development of my follicles and give better egg quality.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
I think IUIs were around $350 each plus the copay for Clomid. For one egg retrieval/IVF with ICSI, a frozen transfer and fresh transfer we paid almost $13k and my insurance covered $4k.
Describe Sarah Keller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Keller was open to both single and double embryo transfer for us. We elected single transfer to avoid a twin or triplet pregnancy.
St. Louis CWE
Costs for IVF [at Wash U] range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
During cycle, you could see any doctor depending who is on rotation. They work together and they work around the patients cycle, not a M-F schedule. For appointments to check lining, eggs, and blood, appts would take maybe 5-10 min. It took me longer to drive there than to actually have an appt. I was always able to go back to work so I wasn’t loosing all my sick days.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts will personally call you following a failed cycle after the team has met. She will answer any questions you have and discuss the next treatment options. Also, during treatment or consultation if my husband and I had questions while we were in the office, she would sit down to help answer them even if our time was over.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Anytime I had any questions at all, I could call and I would hear back with them. They worked with me to figure out if I needed to order extra meds the closer I got to retrieval/transfer so that I didn’t waste a ton of money (it always fell at a weekend). She was great all around. Very helpful and calmed my nerves many times.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
I love have Dr. Rattes for a doctor. I wish a cycle would have worked, but she continues to look for ways to adjust the cycle. She is a caring human being would will have the difficult conversations when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
You will not see her for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left. Cycle was much easier. Took estradiol before and then progesterone after transfer. The cycle also failed. I did a second retrieval, 3rd transfer (2nd fresh). Cycle was much like the First only the stemmed harder to try for more eggs. More eggs were immature and didn’t get to be fertilized. 2 embryos transferred on fresh cycle day 3. Failed. No embryos survived to 5 days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
Costs for IVF range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
they [staff at Washington University School of Medicine] seemed to know me, asked questions about home life, and school...All questions and concerns I had were answered, and voice messages I had left were returned in a timely manner. Again, the entire staff had genuine interest in me and I can only assume they are this way with all of their clients...From the moment I walked in to the reception area to staff in the lab, to the techs, nurses etc, I always felt I was treated like a person, not a number, not another paycheck. Everyone, EVERYONE, is a true professional who takes an interest in the person who is seeking help in becoming pregnant.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
He, and his staff, listened to concerns my husband and I had throughout the process, answered questions regardless of how trivial they may have been. He gave us the statistics necessary for my husband and me to make an informed decision for egg donor, the process involved in using egg donor. Showed compassion when there were hiccups along the way that delayed the egg transfer. Gave us the good and bad news without sugar coating anything. He and his staff were "real" not in this particular profession just for the money, true caregivers who take the oath "to do no harm" while making certain not to give false hope, seriously.
All I had to do was say "this is Tricia, patient of Dr Omertag" and no matter whom I spoke with, they seemed to know me, asked questions about home life, and school (I was in nursing school and studying for state boards throughout the process). All questions and concerns I had were answered, and voice messages I had left were returned in a timely manner. Again, the entire staff had genuine interest in me and I can only assume they are this way with all of their clients.
Dr Omertag kept us informed with each visit, communicated each step of the process clearly. We never wondered what to expect next. Showed regret when there were setbacks in our plan. His compassion for his clients is above anything than I expected. I felt very comfortable being Dr. Omertag's patient. I'm hoping in a few months to start the same process over again with him and his staff.
Listen to him, and his staff. They won't give you false hope, they won't tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you what the facts are and what they can do to help you achieve your dreams of becoming pregnant. They will be with every step.
My process was quite lengthy. I started complete workup which led to cysts (?) that needed to be removed, which delayed the process. There were many hiccups along our way. About 1.5 year later I started on hormone injections (subq) for a few months, followed my intramuscular injections every day for several more months along with hormone pills and hormone patch. After approximately 4 months of this I was ready for the egg donor transfer....after about 1 month, a blood test was done to confirm a positive pregnancy. I stayed with Dr Omertag an his staff for 3 months, after which, sadly, I was told I "graduate" to an OBGYN. very sad day for me to leave him and his staff!
If I remember correctly the cost for labs and ultrasound were done on a monthly basis. Because this is a specialized facility, I'm sure the cost was a bit more and our insurance did not cover much (if any) part of the process. However, my husband and I were more than willing to pay the fee for the service we received from Omertag and his staff. The egg donor (and transfer) was a separate fee from the lab cost but again knowing we were in the best of care we were willing to pay the cost, and the end result was worth every penny spent....so much so, we have talked with Dr Omertag and his staff about starting the process again!
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Of the 5 eggs we had, only 3 were "viable", 2 of which were transferred. I was hoping for a transfer of 3 or 4, but this would have been too high of a risk for me and potential baby so only 2 were transferred, and with those 2, we have a healthy baby boy!
IVF, Surrogacy
Endometriosis, Other
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients.... The nursing staff and the care coordinator have been wonderful so far in our journey through IVF. My husband and I tend to have many questions because we are both nurses. They call back in a timely manner and always seem to find the answers if they don't have them for us right away.
IVF, Surrogacy
Endometriosis, Other
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients. They do egg retrievals 7 days a week, and they don't clump everyone into cycles together. They are able to work with each patient one on one.
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller. After going through some testing for infertility, we became pregnant on our own. We miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks. I was then diagnosed with an AVM in my uterus and ended up hemorrhaging a month after my miscarriage. I was in and out of the hospital with complications and trying to figure out how to save my fertility with my new diagnosis. I was always in contact with Dr. Keller and trusted her input on everything regarding our decisions. Ultimately, a hysterectomy had to happen for my safety and health. At age 26, with no children, it was and for ever will be the hardest decision of my life. Dr. Keller was there for my husband and I during that time and is now guiding us through IVF to do egg retrieval to have a surrogate. I am forever thankful for her care!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Susan )
Being a nurse, I have learned about effective communication. Having effective communication with physicians is always key to experience excellent care. After my husband and I miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks, I learned to be an advocate for my care even more. I did not have complications after my D&C surgery after miscarriage. I however was diagnosed with an uterine arterial venous malformation which is very rare. I was under my general OBGYN at the time I was diagnosed and Dr. Keller which is my infertility specialist. Many doctors were consulted to see if they had an idea of how to treat the AVM in my uterus. A month or so after my diagnosis, I was told it would not be in my best interest to carry children for my safety and health. Dr. Keller was my main physician who helped me through my time of this diagnosis. She understood how hard this time was because we have never had any children and I was only 26 years old at the time. Every time I was seen by her, I felt as if she was fighting for answers for my husband and I, seeing everything in our best interest. Time went by and I ended up hemorrhaging, which is a complication of the uterine AVM, and admitted to the hospital multiple times in a months span. While the bleeding would start and stop, the doctors were trying to figure out how to save my fertility without doing anything to drastic. After failed attempts to do so, I ultimately had to make the decision to get a hysterectomy for my health and safety. Dr. Keller was always there, one call away, to answer all my questions and concerns. I wanted to make sure that this was the best decision for myself and that there weren't any other options available. I trusted her decision, as did my husband. Now, fast forward to a little over a year later, and were are about to do an IVF cycle to ultimately have a surrogate carry our baby. After a couple of months of trying to heal mentally and physically, my husband and I are ready for our next steps into starting our family. The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands. She always asks how I am doing when I meet with her, how I am healing, and just how I feel overall. My experiences that I have gone through in the past year and half are something I never expected. I never dreamt of not being able to carry our children. It sure does make it easier having Dr. Keller sincerely care about my husband and I and our ultimate goal which is to start our family. There is nothing bad I could say about Dr. Keller!
That she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you. She will always listen and respect your decisions. Effective communication!
I am about 3 weeks away from our very first round of IVF.
I will know a more detailed cost estimate soon. Since we are just beginning our first IVF cycle, I am not sure of the overall costs. I estimate it being close to $20,000.
Dr. Keller has discussed her approach to both because of us needing to use a surrogate since I cannot carry. The decision mainly depends on the surrogate and what they agree too, but she does mention it is best to not do a multiple embryo transfer for surrogate to carry. It costs more and many more risks involve is my understanding.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
There are a lot of patients at this clinic [Wash U] but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond...I can’t enough about the nursing staff at the clinic. They really kept me going and we there for me when I cried. I loved the nursing staff at the clinic. They knew me by name and were extremely compassionate and excited for us in every cycle.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond
Because she knew me and my husband as people and our history. She was prepared at meetings and worked with us, our expectations and personally reviewed our outcomes. She cared about me with every negative pregnancy test that happened. She helped us do clinic cycles in between IVF cycles to increase our chances.
Strengths- she knew our history and us as people. She was open to sugggestions of next steps in treatment and was very knowledgeable in statistics of different procedures like scratch test, assisted hatching, ICSI, etc and she explained procedures and set up expectations for us. She truly cared about us as a couple. She even talked us through next steps on another cycle right after her father passed away. She is selfless. The weakness- because of her compassion I think she was less direct than we needed about my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve. She expressed the panel of docs at clinic would advocate for donor eggs but said we could continue to try. In hindsight I feel it would have been better to be more blunt about our chances with own eggs so we could have moved forward with donor eggs sooner. Overall, I think we had to come to that acceptance before anything. I’m glad she introduced the topic to us and moved ahead with lightening speed thereafter
Be proactive and know what you want. She will be there to support your treatment plan and advocate for you.
With DOR- we tried femara cycle day 5-9 plus follistim but had to convert to IUI. We did 2 antagonist cycles with gonal-f (225) and menopur (225) with one cycle doing an estrogen prime. Last cycle we did estrogen prime plus micro dose Lupron flare anatagonist
We had help with insurance. The largest out of pocket cost was donor reimbursement fees which were $5000 plus adminustrative costs which were $3000
She showed us her statistics at the clinic and discussed risks, benefits and chances with eSET & multiple transfers but left the decision up to us ultimately
St. Louis CWE
They (Wash U- CWE) were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something....The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves....It was efficient and I loved that they were first thing in the morning so I could still make it to work on time.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves. The introduction session was amazing and very informative!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
The doctors and nurses were always wonderful. The front desk staff was unfriendly and very unwelcoming. They never even greeted you with a "Good Morning" to ease your anxiety.
They were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something. They even handled my one complaint with instructions for the POU shot well and were interested in what I found helpful.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need considering I had been through so much before going to this specific clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Know that you work with all doctors and not with just the one you see the first time. A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team. She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation.
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I was on the long agonist protocol. I started Dec. 24 with my first shot and triggered Jan. 14. I started taking all 3 shots by Dec. 31 I believe. I felt bloated at times and had one headache, but overall I wasn't miserable. I am currently in the TWW so I don't have results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
$325 just for the initial appointment consultation. $130 for the trial embryo transfer.... Those are the only two bills I remember the amounts of.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
I felt rushed in this decision. We were thinking initially that it would be a single embryo, and when I went in for my egg retrieval and saw a different doctor, he said he was worried there is a cause other than my endometriosis and would recommend ICSI just to increase our chances of being successful this first round. At transfer and showed me two embryos and said the 3 wasn't looking good and probably wouldn't freeze. He said of the two was was a really good 7 cell and the other was a 6 cell but it appeared the cells were starting to merge so he wasn't as sure of it. Using the amendment logic he had with retrieval, and not wanting to live with regrets, we went with 2.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The ladies at the front desk [Washington University School of Medicine] during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.... Kathy and Jessie both were always available, they would call back within a reasonable amount of time (same day, usually a few hours), answered questions, talked with you, treated you professionally but as a human.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The ladies at the front desk during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.
He took the time during each appointment to explain the process and answer questions. He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
He was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.
Ask questions. and be aware that he may not be the doctor to do your procedures, that’s important to know, but all the doctors in the practice are great.
We did IVF. I started meds to “quiet” my ovaries which worked great. Then we started Stims at low doses and increased. I was not responding well enough at first and we talked about canceling the cycle and starting over with another protocol. I was able to come in an extra time for monitoring and finally started responding. Dr. Omurtag called me himself to talk about it since he knew they “scared” me with talk of canceling. Once we were where we needed to be we did egg retrieval and got 8 eggs, which was exactly what I expected per the last monitoring appointment we had. We ended up with 6 embryos. We went in for a day 5 fresh transfer and found out we had two picture perfect embryos but the others did not meet the criteria to freeze. We transferred one embryo and froze the other. Our fresh transfer did not work. We waited one cycle and jumped in to our frozen cycle. The one frozen embryo we had stuck like a champ and our IVF miracle baby was born January 2018. We are very happy with our results. :)
Fresh transfer was in the $11,000’s. I cannot remember the exact number right now. Medication was anywhere between $3-5k.
We had two “perfect” embryos. I wanted to transfer both but the doctor suggested only doing one. She said they don’t offer only doing one to everyone but that I was young, healthy and the embryo was “perfect.” I cried but agreed to only transfer one. I know it doesn’t always go how we want it to but I am glad I only did the one. I still had one frozen after the fresh transfer didn’t work. I would have been very upset and frustrated if we had walked away with nothing.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
I like that the clinic [WA U] has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first)....My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I like that the clinic has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first).
Dr Keller has called me personally on various occasions to discuss my "game plan." She also went to a conference and while there she said she went to some speakers on my condition. This gave her new ideas for my next protocol.
My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly. I really appreciate that. There have been a few times when the response comes late in the day and I would worry but I always heard from her! The procedure area nurses are amazing. They are so sweet. I have not met one that I don’t like!
Dr. Keller is very candid which I appreciate. She gets right to the point. She doesn't sugar coat. I feel that she absolutely has my best interests at heart. I know she has a lot of other patients but I don’t really feel like “just a number” to her. I wish I could see Dr. Keller at every procedure but Washington University rotates doctors doing procedure. However, I think there are many pros to this system. I have had egg retrievals and transfers on holidays, weekends, even Sunday. I appreciate that they have a large group of doctors for this reason. And they meet every week to discuss cases and bounce ideas off of each other.
I would just warn them that they might feel overwhelmed at first or feel like “just a number” but Dr. Keller really cares.
Dr. K switched my to an antagonist for my second retrieval. Therefore I could do a Lupron trigger since the first egg retrieval resulted in mild OHSS. Antagonist with the Lupron trigger was soooo much easier on my body. She also suggested freezing my embryos at 2PN (right after fertilization) rather than grow them to blast and then freeze. I didn’t have luck getting embryos to blast stage during the first IVF. So this way I can still do a frozen transfer (let my body calm down for a couple months) and still have the option of a 3 day transfer if necessary.
For my first cycle (monitoring, retrieval, and transfer), insurance was billed $21,000. This was MORE than I was originally told. Meds were $3,800. Luckily I have fairly good insurance. For my second cycle (monitoring and retrieval - no transfer yet), insurance has been billed $17,862. Meds were about the same.
I've done one transfer so far. We transferred 2 embryos at her suggestion. This was because it was day 5 and they were not quite blasts yet so she thought 2 would be better than 1.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Our primary nurse is Cathy [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her...My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omertang and his fellow Fertiltiy Doctors are the best in Saint Louis. We have many friends that have used them with success. My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy. The being said they get the job done and this is the only clinic we want to be at for our upcoming egg retrieval and transfer.
Most Importantly-When with Omertag I always felt like a human and was treated with kindness and respect. He always takes the time to explain any question and never rushes you. The Nurses and Tech are not so much. The bedside manner while receiving a vaginal ultrasound was kind of horrible. I was told I had many fibroids but was given no explanation of what type or what this meant for me. When I asked her for just a bit of explanation or if I could speak with a nurse I was shown the door. Like she actually said" the exit it right down the hall. So I left the office very confused and has to wait 24 hours for any explanation as to what this meant for me and my partners treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Our primary nurse is Cathy. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her. With that said she is always prompt on calling us back gets the job done. If this was not such a painful, hard and expensive time in our lives we would be ok with this- but it's such a sensitive time that even a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Extremely patient, Kind and compassionate. He even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor.
Know that the techs and nurses might not have the best bedside manner or be super kind to you-BUT Dr. Omurtag is the one in charge of your treatment and each step along the way.
After 3 failed IUI at another clinic-We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
At this point, we have spent around $4,500.00. For three IUI's, medication, ultrasounds, medication, (2) meetings with Omertag and Sperm.
Anovulation, Unexplained
They [nurses at Washington University School of Medicine] are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive...IUI 383 per cycle...I am very pleased with the care they provide. I came here to get a second opinion and I am so glad I did. They are very compassionate and knowledgeable. They take all things into consideration when planning your course of treatment.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
She was very attentive and courteous and genuinely concerned about my success and my over all well being.
They are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.
Dr Keller is exceptional. She is very compassionate and thorough. She takes into consideration the whole picture when coming up with a plan. She went over both mine and my husbands issues. She made sure you understood before you left her office. She gave options instead of trying to dictate every move. She is highly recommended.
Go see her sooner than you think you should. You will not be disappointed in her care.
I had previously had two egg retrievals at a different place with poor results. I went to Dr Keller for a second opinion. My diagnosis was basically unexplained infertility. She gave me the option to try less expensive treatments with IUI plus clinic first because I have a strong family history of breast cancer and the less hormones the better for me. She said sometimes if it is an issues with egg quality the less you mess with the eggs the better off you are. IUI plus Clomid resulted in a pregnancy the 3rd try, however it was an ectopic pregnancy. After 3 more attempts she recommended IVF which we are currently planning to do soon. The last IUI I took Femara instead of Clomid she wanted to see if it might work better for me.
IUI 383 per cycle.
She has recommended two embryos (maximum) transfer when the time comes if possible.
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Laura is Dr. Odem's coordinator or receptionist: she is amazing and always gets back to me in a timely manner. I always received a call back in the same day, and never had to wait more than an hour or a few hours. Crystal is one of his nurses: she is always smiling and caring. She always explains what she is doing before she does it, and is super encouraging.... My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk worker Alicia is always happy to see you and get you signed in. She is always smiling and super comforting. My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Odem is amazing at his profession. He is not only very professional, but he is also very kindhearted and gentle spirited. You can tell he genuinely cares for his patients. During a very difficult time, he made us feel as if we were his only patients. He took the time to explain things to us, and we never felt rushed. We appreciated his caring heart during a very hard time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal nurse, Laura coordinator)
How was your experience with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Odem is an amazing person and a wonderful physician. I honestly don't have any weakness or negatives to say regarding Dr. Odem. I have many positive things to say in our time spend at the clinic with Dr Odem. From our visit, we could tell that he loves what he does, and he truly wants the best outcome for his patients. One specific visit was very very difficult for us, when we experienced an ectopic pregnancy. He was very calm and caring, and he was gentle and gave us plenty of time to grieve and then decide what our next step was. I cannot explain how much that meant to us during a very hard time. He took excellent care of us, and that was just very encouraging.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Ask lots of questions.
Describe the protocols Randall Odem used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
The first cycle we just used Clomid with no success. The 2nd cycle we used Clomid and IUI together, and we did have success with a pregnancy. At 6 weeks, it failed with an ectopic pregnancy. The next 4 cycles we did Clomid and IUI with no success. Our last visit consisted of an IVF discussion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine.
Office visits with Dr Odem himself costed anywhere from $130-250. IUI ranged $100-$300. I had to have surgery at Barnes for ectopic pregnancy which was around $15,000.
Describe Randall Odem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
We did feel sufficiently educated on the IVF process. He strongly recommended a single embryo transfer in our case. He did explain why he recommended a single transfer versus multiple--examples: higher risk pregnancy, higher risk of premature births and higher risk of losing a pregnancy.
2012 - 2017
The only problem is reaching a person when we call [Washington University]. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again... The initial visit took place at a different location than the rest of the appointments, treatments, and procedures which did not make much sense to me. Other than that, the facilities were welcoming and easy to navigate.
2012 - 2017
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Doctor Keller and her staff always treat us kindly. They are pleasant and personable. Our concerns/questions are addressed and discussed in a clear manner. Instructions are clear, given verbally and written. The only problem is reaching a person when we call. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Susan)
Everyone is compassionate and caring. They take the time to get to know you as a person and a patient. They are encouraging and never talk down to you if you have questions or concerns.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
She is concise, but explained my conditions in full detail, even provided drawings if that helped us understand why some things did/did not work. She always walks us through each procedure at least once, if not twice. She is thorough in understanding my body and our treatment. We are returning patients and she loves to hear about our son, who was conceived with her help. The first round we had some miscommunication that caused some confusion, but it was easily fixed and she made sure it did not happen again.
She will cover everything and she is very knowledgable in her field. If it doesn't make sense at first, ask questions and she will be happy to explain and help in any way she can.
Because of my diagnosis we went straight to IVF treatments. I had other procedures, but do not recall exact names or reasons. I received hormones orally and injected. She adjusted my thyroid medicine as my blood work results were obtained. I had a fresh transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and frozen transfer which resulted in a live birth. Because of my previous results, she is following the same course of treatment this round.
I am unsure about total clinic costs. Copays are $40 and my insurance has always covered 80% of expenses. I know the medication cost about $1,500.
IUI, 1 IVF
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA [at Washington University] were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!... The lab techs are fabulous at drawing and always super friendly. The ultrasound techs are equally as good! Always happy and they explain every little moment to you so there are no surprises!
IUI, 1 IVF
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr Omurtag and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel special and most importantly, comfortable! Multiple times he has gone out of his way to ease my husbands and I's minds whether it was a check in call, researching to find an answer to our question or simply a hug!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!
Dr Omurtag is a compassionate, trustworthy doctor. I now consider him a friend. He has been there for my fiancé and I through this tough experience and has not let us feel as though we are "alone on an island" once, just like he promised in the beginning! We ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to have two doses of methotrexate, this all occurred over the holidays. You could feel the compassion when in his office and see the pain he had for us in his eyes. I could likely go elsewhere for less money but he is worth every extra penny, even if we didn't get to our end result just yet!
Go to your first meeting with your questions and with your past experiences and information! He will help guide you the rest of the way!
Our first round was a long agonist with gonal-f protocol. The lupron that was used gave me terrible headaches and some stiffness in my neck but overall I did great with the protocol. We ended up transferring two healthy embryos and we had an ectopic pregnancy. We just now started an antagonist with OCPs protocol for round 2. He chose this so he can be more aggressive with the stimulation and therefore have more embryos hopefully to choose from in the end.
It was close to $18,00 including meds. Our insurance didn't cover a penny so we were out of pocket patients.
The doctors in this practice choose based on the embryos and their development. Their goal is for you to have one healthy and happy baby...they come with their reasoning on how many they feel you should transfer and together you make a decision.
2013 - 2017
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
I love the feel of this clinic [Centers for Reproductive Medicine and Wellness], it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
2013 - 2017
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I love the feel of this clinic, it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
She made me feel like she truest wanted the best outcomes for me and despite my hormone levels was still willing to work with me if treatment is what I wanted to persue
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Brantley )
Andrea was great in communicating with me the plan Dr. Copper wanted me to take or to provide me lab/ultrasound results. She was just as compassionate and empathetic as Dr. Cooper.
How was your experience with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Cooper is the most compassionate and empathetic physician I have ever had. Her knowledge and expertise on infertility related disease states are well shown through the research and studies she partakes in within the reproductive/endocrinology field. She treats each patient like a person and not as a statistic that will increase/decrease her facilities success rates. She never rushes you and thoroughly answers all questions during all phone and in person interactions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
Make an in person consultation ASAP to see for yourself what a wonderful physician she is. You will leave feeling loved, cared about, and that your best interest is her number one priority.
Describe the protocols Amber Cooper used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with premature ovarian insiffiency, I wanted to know that I tried everything I could before opting for donor eggs. I tried high doses of gonadotropins such as follistim and menopur, but still did not produce follicles of sufficient size to proceed to a trigger and a retrieval. I tried this 2 different times, both times with the same results. I am currently in the process of persueing donor eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine.
After my deductible is met, insurance picks up a majority of my visit cost. Prior to my deductible being met, a consultation was around $250, all of which was being applied to my deductible.
St. Louis CWE
Everyone that I have encountered has been very kind, friendly, and helpful [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Be prepared to see different faces if you go in different days and times and know you will not always see your doctor for procedures. Regardless, everyone has been great and good to work with.... You may not see Dr. Jungheim for the procedures but they want to do things on each patient's time table and not the doctor's.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone that I have encountered has been very kind, friendly, and helpful. Be prepared to see different faces if you go in different days and times and know you will not always see your doctor for procedures. Regardless, everyone has been great and good to work with.
Each time I met with her, she talked with me and explained things very thoroughly. She did not stare at my file or computer but came prepared to our appointments knowing exactly what was going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
I have just started communicating with her more with our upcoming IVF. She called and explained the entire process to me again, let me know what we needed to be done before we could begin, and gave suggestions on what could be helpful. They are very quick to return phone calls after I leave messages.
Again, I appreciate the time she took to explain treatments to me. She came to the appointments prepared. I also appreciated that she called me after my 3rd IUI (I wasn't even home yet) to touch base.
I would tell them to recognize that this is a practice and not a single doctor clinic. You may not see Dr. Jungheim for the procedures but they want to do things on each patient's time table and not the doctor's.
We started with ultrasounds, HSG, and blood work. After that it was determined I wasn't ovulating consistently. (I had also previously had surgery to remove cyst, ovary, and Fallopian tube. I had also previously been diagnosed with endometriosis). We did 3 rounds of Letrozole and IUI. All 3 resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We are now in the process of beginning IVF.
IUIs have ran around $500. The IVF quote including medicine is roughly $14,000
None, Other
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff...The nursing staff is competant and efficient. However, I cannot say that they show much compassion or attempt to get to know you personally. This is probably due to the volume of patients they see...IUIs were $385, and ultrasounds were $345. IVF is going to be approximately $11,500 (before meds).
None, Other
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The obvious strength of WashU is that they have the highest success rates in the area. The doctors are experts at one of the most highly ranked medical centers in the country. Dr. Omrutag is very personable and patient as well. The weakness is that the staff is not very personal.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff. Dr. Omertag is very kind and personal, but we only saw him for consultations.
Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient. We left our consultation with him feeling like our questions were answered. He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful. We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.
I would have no reservations referring someone to Dr. Omurtag. He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.
I did 3 IUIs, two with Clomid and one natural. I did day 12 ultrasounds to monitor follicles for the second and third cycles. For one cycle it was determined that the clomid diminished my lining so I was given estradoil and a trigger shot. IUI's were typically done the day after the positive LH surge. They were done by the nurse.
We are just beginning the IVF process, but during our IVF consultation he informed us that they recommend transfering only one embryo.
St. Louis CWE
Washington University Physicians Department of reproductive endocrinology has a very impersonal approach to IVF. You are unlikely to go through the cycle with your chosen doctor, they will not customize a protocol or attempt to think outside the box to fix your protocol if your body is not reacting like it's supposed to. If your body doesn't react like a normal person's body, you will not get pregnant with this Clinic.... My PPO insurance does cover infertility.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This doctor made flippant remarks about how it's all a numbers game and we only need one embryo implying that there's no use trying for more than one
Dr.Omurtag seems like a nice guy, but at the core of it he really does not care if you get pregnant or not. When we first saw this doctor we were essentially told that we had a greater than 60% chance of success for one cycle of IVF and that most likely since it was male Factor infertility we were battling one cycle would be all it would take. Our first cycle of IVF they retrieved 13 eggs, only 4 were mature, and only one embryo was created. Dr. Omurtag brushed this off as a fluke and we tried again. Washington University only has certain set protocols in place, they do not customize a protocol for the way your body reacts. If you don't fit perfectly into the box then you are not going to have success at this Clinic. Additionally, the doctor making decisions about your care is going to be whatever doctor happens to be on call for IVF that week and they may not know your case or your history at all.
Don't.
My first cycle of IVF was a long Agonist protocol. We did Lupron for 10 days I think, followed by stimulation with follistim and menopur. I triggered with HCG for my retrieval. My second cycle of IVF was different, I did not use Lupron at all instead they had me simulate with follistim and menopur and ganirelix was used towards the end with an HCG trigger
My PPO insurance does cover infertility. The Physician and anesthesiologist fees are prepaid before they will schedule your cycle and it was $600 even. They have a surgical room attached to their office and it bills you as a free-standing Surgical Center for Missouri Baptist and my 20% coinsurance was over $2,800 for one cycle
St. Louis Mo Bapt
The clinic [Wash U ] was not great at all honestly. We definitely felt like a number there... The nurses, other than Mary...were incredibly hard to get a hold of! The billing people were almost impossible to talk to you unless of course they were trying to get money from you... And making an appointment was very very difficult! Honestly, the receptionist was the best thing about the whole place!... Good news or bad news Mary was the one to call us.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was not great at all honestly. We definitely felt like a number there... The nurses, other than Mary...were incredibly hard to get a hold of! The billing people were almost impossible to talk to you unless of course they were trying to get money from you... And making an appointment was very very difficult! Honestly, the receptionist was the best thing about the whole place! She was so sweet, and knew both my husband and my name every time we walked in. She learned little things about us and would always ask us personal questions, in a good way...about our life and just was always so kind and friendly. If she was the doctor, nurse, or represented everyone else in the clinic, I would give this place a 10 out of 10!
Not necessarily a number, but probably definitely not a human either. I think we only saw Dr. Ratts maybe twice out of the many many visits that we made there. And I don't know that we ever actually spoke to her on the phone in between visits.
Mary was our nurse throughout our whole treatment Journey with Dr. Ratts. And honestly she felt more like the doctor than Dr. Ratts. If something changed, Mary was the one to call us. Good news or bad news Mary was the one to call us. And Mary was actually the one who performed our IUI. She was a very good nurse, and very very knowledgeable. Not necessarily super compassionate, but very smart and knowledgeable and informative.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts was nice, and was pretty informative our very first visit, but we really never saw her again after that. She just was very hard to get ahold of, and I felt like she really didn't know that much about us or really want or try to get to know us personally. And I definitely didn't feel a lot of compassion from her.
Be prepared to see her one time and one time only.
We did a couple rounds of oral medications, none of which were successful. So then we switched to injectables, and did an IUI cycle. It was successful but unfortunately ended in miscarriage.
Describe Valerie Ratts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
IUI, IVF
This clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!...My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000.
IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!
Dr. Omurtag is a very sincere and respectful physician. His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease.
The nursing staff for Dr. Omurtag were excellent! I don't feel like I was rushed through or felt that I was just another number. They were very friendly and supportive through the whole process.
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand. As an example, I felt uncomfortable with an SHG and trial transfer that we allowed a Fellow perform under his guidance, and Dr. Omurtag distracted me with talking about everyday things, like baseball, which I enjoy.
The advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Omurtag would be to speak up and ask questions - even if you feel it's a dumb question - there are NO dumb questions to him! He's very knowledgeable, so use that to help you make an informed decision about your fertility journey.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Dr. Omurtag put me on the Long GnRH Agonist regimen. It went over 2 menstrual cycles, utilizing birth control pills beginning on CD4 (preventing pregnancy) until all active pills were taken. On CD 21, I started 20 units of Lupron ( to block ovulation) for 21 days. I started my period around this time, beginning the second cycle of the long regimen. I had an ultrasound and estradiol check to confirm suppression. Then in cycle 2, I used varying doses of Gonal F and Menopur (to stimulate my ovaries to make follicles.) Gonal F started on CD6 at 225iu, then decreased to 150iu on CD9 until last dose on CD15. I started 75iu of Menopur on CD9 through CD12. One day of 150iu of Menopur on CD13, then 75iu CD14 through CD15. I stopped all meds on CD16 for my retrieval on CD18. At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000. I also sought out rebates, coupons, etc, to help off-set those medicine costs.
Dr Omurtag seemed okay with my decision to transfer 2 embryos, informing me of the risks/benefits and not trying to persuade me either way. He was quite supportive. However, on the day of the transfer, another doctor (Dr. Randal Odem) performed it because he was being on call that week. He double checked with me and my decision to do two, informing me one last time of benefits/risks of transferring two, but I backed out and only had them transfer one embryo. I went on to have a successful singleton pregnancy and live birth of this fresh cycle.
St. Louis CWE
it is the doctor who is on call [at Washington University School of Medicine] for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you...After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's...I conveniently could do monitoring appointments right before work. It operated well. Sometimes I wouldn't have to wait at all, sometimes I'd have to wait 10 minutes. The techs who did the monitoring were great.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic uses a team approach. So, Dr. Jungheim was my primary doctor who I met with for consultations and corresponded with about my treatment plan and results. But, she was not the doctor who performed the embryo retrieval and transfer. Instead, it is the doctor who is on call for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you. The thing I like about it is that you effectively get 5 second opinions because the team meets every week to discuss their patients and make decisions. After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's.
Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes The staff at the clinic were also very nice and friendly and would clearly remember me. I got to know some of the staff pretty well and we would chat about my work and their lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori, but I think she is gone now)
I did not love my nurse. But I am pretty sure she is not there anymore. And I have heard that the new nurse is great.
Dr. Jungheim has the exact bedside manner that I love. She is warm, friendly, compassionate, and deeply caring. Also, as a scientist, I wanted to know the research that exists about treatment options, and Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so. When there was truly no way to know the biological reason our first IVF cycle didn't work, she was honest about that and told me so. I hear stories of other doctors telling patients guesses as to why things worked a certain way, when there is actually no real way for them to know. Some patients find comfort in that, but that is not what I want. I want a doctor who does not have inflated confidence about what they know, and is informed about the actual research to give me that information. She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself. Dr. Jungheim is fantastic. If I move away from St. Louis and need to do IVF again, I plan to go back to her!
Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. She will take the time for you.
We have unexplained infertility, which led us to start with IUI. When that didn't work, we moved on to IVF. My first cycle was an antagonist protocol, which was chosen for several reasons. One is that it is one of the most successful protocols for unexplained infertility in my age group at this clinic. Another is that I had a huge needle phobia, and this protocol involves fewer injections compared to the other option she would consider. We also did what they call "partial" ICSI. Since there were no known male factor issues or egg quality issues for us, the clinic used ICSI on half of my eggs in order to test the fertilization rate for ICSI vs. not. It turned out that the fertilization rate was equal, so it didn't seem that ICSI was truly necessary for us. Many clinics automatically do ICSI no matter what, however, there are some small risks of doing ICSI if you don't need to. So, this partial ICSI approach is like an experiment to see if I needed it, which would be useful for future decisions if this cycle didn't work. Then, the clinic watches the embryos and makes a decision on day 3 as to whether to do a day 3 or day 5 transfer of 1 or 2 embryos. They have certain criteria that they want to meet in order to push the transfer to day 5. I did not meet that criteria, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. Unfortunately, this cycle failed. The second cycle chosen was a long agonist protocol with Lupron. I also inquired about an endometrial scratch test. Dr. Jungheim told me that the evidence for the scratch is strictly correlational right now, but promising. In fact, the clinic was conducting a clinical trial to test the efficacy of the scratch at that time. Dr. Jungheim told me that if I wanted to do the scratch, I certainly could. So, I did. Ouchie. Then, we did not use ICSI this cycle given the fertilization rate of the previous cycle. And we had the same rate of fertilization. Again, the embryos did not meet criteria for a day 5 transfer, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. This cycle worked!!! We now have a 7.5 month old son, who is the light of our lives.
Each IUI cost $400, and each round of IVF cost ~$15,000
The Washington University clinic as a whole wants to avoid multiples while maximizing live births. So they make decisions about the number of embryos to transfer based on each individual case, and I think they make very good decisions. We transferred 2 embryos and ended up with a singleton pregnancy, so I am very glad we didn't transfer 1.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!... They have many strengths in professionalism, knowledge, communication, and compassion. I cannot think of any weaknesses that I experienced. I highly recommend this clinic to everyone.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
He was always honest and direct, but would not use medical terms that a normal person would not know. His explanations were always very clear. He is very professional, but always made us feel like he cared.
Kathy was brand new during my second cycle, so I had to really stay on her if I needed something done. I attribute this to growing pains in a new organization. She was always friendly. The nursing staff is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!
He is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan.
Trust him.
Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo. We did full ICSI. We did not conceive. On our second round, we did a Luteal Estradiol Antagonist protocol, eliminating birth control and Lupron completely. We eliminated supressants because I didn't respond well to the first cycle. I took ovulation tests until I ovulated, then a week later, I started estrogen for 5 days to prime my ovaries. At the start of my period, took 150IU of Menopur, and 225IU Gonal F for seven days. Then added in 250IU of Cetrotide for an additional three days. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 were mature, and 2 fertilized into embryos with full ICSI again. We conceived and are currently pregnant.
We were fortunate enough to have 2 rounds mostly covered by insurance. We just had to pay for the more expensive of the medications. A round including medications does cost about $20,000 usually.
I believe his approach was correct with our results.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly...Meredith is great. She's very bubbly and upbeat. As Dr. Omurtag's nurse, she performs IUIs and is also the primary point of contact for his IVF patients. You can contact her through Dr. Omurtag's secretary and she will always get back to your quickly...
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. With the exception of Drs. Omurtag and Odom, all of the staff are female. Prospective patients should know that this is a very large practice with many patients; you may need to be proactive if you're the kind of person who wants to meet directly with your physician regularly. My husband and I felt very comfortable with the staff and our nurse, who was very organized and provided us with lots of detailed written and verbal instructions for our procedures, so not seeing Dr. Omurtag regularly didn't bother us. As stated elsewhere in this review, be aware that the practice doctors take turns handling IVF cases on a monthly basis, so your doctor may not perform your egg retrieval and/or embryo transfer. Your nurse remains the same throughout. Please know that although all of these procedures and protocols seem very intimidating at first, you will receive all the information you need to successfully complete your treatment. The IVF orientation is great, your nurse is available to answer any questions, and detailed information packets are provided every step of the way. If you are doing IUI, be aware that you may need to wait awhile, due to the size of the practice and the unpredictability of patients' cycles. If you do IVF, you may need to wait a cycle or two to get on the schedule. As a working mom, I appreciated that most of the office visits could be done in the morning.
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us and ask about our older son. He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith Woody)
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
We really enjoyed working with Dr. Omurtag. After evaluating our histories and testing, he was very confident that we would be successful, either via IUI or IVF. We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health. At this meeting, he went over our initial plan to obtain a diagnosis, including all of the testing he was ordering and when/where these procedures would be performed. Once this testing was completed, we met with him again to discuss our treatment course, which turned out to be IUI. We underwent four unsuccessful IUI cycles and then reconvened with Dr. Omurtag, who recommended proceeding with IVF. Because this was such a costly step, we asked to continue the IUI for two more cycles while we saved up the money for IVF, and he agreed. These cycles were also unsuccessful, so we met with Dr. Omurtag once again after our IVF financing was in place. At this meeting, he explained the IVF process and all of the procedures associated with it. At this practice, all IVF cases for the month are handled by a single physician on a rotating basis. This is the reason that Dr. Omurtag did not handle all of our procedures himself. However, we had a good experience with the other two physicians in the practice with whom we worked. Once we received a positive pregnancy blood work up after the fresh IVF cycle, we met with Dr. Omurtag again after our first ultrasound at 7 weeks. The baby was slightly undersized, but not alarmingly so, and Dr. Omurtag asked us to return in a week to check on the fetal growth. At that point, he felt comfortable turning us over to our OB for the remainder of the pregnancy, but encouraged us to call at any time if we had concerns, especially during the time before our first OB appointment. When I miscarried at nearly 11 weeks, Dr. Omurtag happened to be at the hospital and stopped to see us after we got the bad news. He was very compassionate, but also made sure to express his confidence that our treatment plan was good and would result in a viable pregnancy. This was very reassuring to hear on what was the worst day of our lives. When we were ready, we scheduled another meeting to discuss conducting a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag also performed a saline sonohysterogram to make sure that there were no issues that had not been visible on my HSG or other ultrasounds. He explained the differences between the fresh and frozen cycles and we proceeded (again, a different doctor performed the embryo transfer, but he was great as well). We were once again successful and transferred to the care of our OB at 8 weeks. This second pregnancy resulted in our son, born in August 2016. During all of our appointments, Dr. Omurtag was very comprehensive and understandable in all of his explanations. We were encouraged to ask questions and interrupt him for further explanation. He made us feel very comfortable and definitely made an effort to get to know us as people. He still remembers details about us and our family, even after going 8 months without seeing us. He asked us to keep the practice posted on the outcome of the pregnancy and suggested we visit after our son was born in August 2016. Before that visit, we found out that our son is a carrier for a fatal genetic condition, and Dr. Omurtag was able to give us the basics on how we would proceed if we decide to have a third child.
Trust in the process. It might seem like you are going to endless appointments, tests, scans and blood draws, but they are all necessary. Remind yourself that reproduction is incredibly inefficient and accept that you may never know the exact reason for your infertility without going through multiple cycles of medication, IUI and/or IVF. There are so many factors that it may be very difficult for the docs to pinpoint the exact cause, especially in cases of secondary infertility like ours. It was a two year process, but Dr. Omurtag was a great guide and we ended up with a child, which was the goal of the exercise.
See my response from the experience question. We came to Dr. Omurtag with secondary infertility after 6 months of ovulation testing and two cycles of Clomid performed by my OB. Treatment began with an HSG and ultrasounds and bloodwork for me and a semen analysis for my husband. I was diagnosed PCO due to a slightly elevated testosterone level and high ovarian reserve. However, I don't experience any other symptoms and all other testing was normal. Because my cycles were regular and I was ovulating, and because we had successfully conceived and carried to term on our own in the past, we decided to start with IUI. Dr. Omurtag recommended four cycles, because success rates drop off sharply after four IUIs. We ended up doing six cycles, but the last two were done to increase our slim chances of conceiving while we saved up the funds and waited for IVF availability (they only accept a certain number of IVF patients each month). I was prescribed Lupron to aid in the IUI cycles. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact procedures and tests involved with each cycle, other than coming in for a mid-cycle ultrasound to check on follicle ripeness. When the scan was favorable, we scheduled a morning appointment for the IUI. My husband arrived early to provide a semen sample, which was analyzed and prepared and then transferred via a catheter by one of the nurses about an hour later. When IUI proved unsuccessful, we turned to IVF. Dr. Omurtag determined that Long GnRH agonist protocol was the best fit for us. We were required to secure financing and attend a very helpful IVF orientation before proceeding. After completing the drug regimen (which included OCP, Leuprolide, FSH, and hCG trigger), we harvested 23 eggs, 19 of which were viable. Because my husband's sperm count had varied during the IUI cycles, Dr. Omurtag decided to fertilize 10 of the eggs conventionally and 9 of them with ICSI. Only one of the eggs fertilized conventionally, but all 9 of the ICSI were successful. After 3 days of growth, we had several promising embryos, so Dr. Omurtag settled on a day 5 transfer. At that point, there were three exceptionally good transfer candidates. The decision of how many (1 or 2) to transfer was left to us. We chose 2 and one of those successfully implanted. After our miscarriage, we did a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag performed a saline sonohysterogram to ensure that there were no underlying physical issues with carrying a pregnancy that we might have missed previously (and to ensure that the products of the miscarriage had all been expelled). I'm unable to locate all of my paperwork from this cycle for some reason, but I know that the drug regimen was much less intense and there were fewer injectables. The frozen embryo transfer was again successful and this time I carried to term.
I believe each IUI cycle cost around $600. We financed the IVF cycles through ARC, where we paid $15,000 to cover a fresh and a frozen cycle. Medications were an additional expenses, but a relatively low cost with my insurance. All diagnostic testing was covered under our insurance.
St. Louis CWE
Everyone in this [Wash U - CWE] clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change...
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone in this clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change.
Dr Omurtag was very kind and patient in discussing our options. He never rushed us out of the office, and took all of our considerations into account. He made sure to follow up with us, both before and after the birth of our child.
My wife met most of the nursing staff during her IUI treatments. She never once complained and was always talking about how friendly everyone was. One specific nurse (who's name I am unsure) even took the time to show compassion for what my wife was dealing with and revealed her own personal experience.
As the husband, I was the cause of the infertility. Never once did I feel judged, or any less of a person because of my medical issue. Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy.
Come to each appointment with an open mind. We made a decision that, at the time, felt very difficult (using a donor sperm). Looking back, all of the anxieties were for nothing because at the end of the day, we were blessed with the birth of our beautiful child. Dr Omurtag will take care of you, so rest in that comfort.
In a nutshell, we decided that the only option was to use a donor sperm. We purchased 5 vials (just to have more than enough) and began IUI. Dr. Omurtag wanted to try one cycle of IUI without Clomid. This first cycle and treatment did not result in a pregnancy. For the second cycle, Dr. O started my wife on Clomid and after the second treatment (IUI), we found out we were pregnant.
These are not exact, but the cost estimates were: IUI Treatment - Approximately 300 USD Donor Sperm - Approximately 4000 USD (5 Vials) Clomid - Unsure, but not expensive Sperm Analysis - Approximately 150 USD Test to Check Fallopian Tubes - 3000 USD (not covered with insurance)
St. Louis CWE
The [Wash U - CWE] clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints...The entire nursing staff always promptly returned my calls, answered my questions and took wonderful care of me during visits. They are fantastic...Do not be afraid to ask any and all questions/voice any concerns that you have with him at any time. He patiently listens and answers them all. He NEVER made us feel like a question or concern was dumb or invalid...
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints.
Dr. Omurtag treated us with kindness and compassion from our very first meeting. He decisively laid out details, treatment options and plans always making it known that ultimately the decision was always ours. He never pressured us into making a decision. We never felt rushed during our appointments. Dr. O would stay as long as needed to answer all of our questions. He also called us several times in the evening and on weekends when I had additional questions or concerns about treatments or upcoming procedures. He was truly there to support us through every part of our IVF journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith)
As described in my previous response, Dr. Omurtag always made us feel comfortable and never treated us like a number. My husband and I always felt like his descriptions and explanation of treatment options and procedures were easy to understand. It was always obvious that he knew what he was talking about and always had the data and statistics to back it up. His intelligence and success were made even more wonderful when accompanied by his amazing bedside manner. He always greeted us with a smile and an upbeat, optimistic personality. I know he puts in countless hours at the office working with couples just like us, but we never once felt rushed and he never let his exhaustion show (if it even existed at all). He followed up with us and was by our sides every step of the way. After my successful IVF cycle, I brought my son back three months after he was born because Dr. O wanted to meet him and because I missed seeing him! That is the kind of wonderful connection that he creates with his patients. He is a truly special doctor and person and we look forward to seeing him again when it is time to expand our family once more!
I went through four cycles of IUI with chlomid. None resulted in a pregnancy. We then went on to IVF. I was on oral contraceptive birth control for a month, then began the injections to prepare for my egg harvest. After my egg harvest, I had one 'day 5' embryo transferred which resulted in a pregnancy and my beautiful son. For 8 weeks following the transfer, I continued injections of progesterone to ensure proper uterine wall lining.
We were very fortunate that my insurance covered our medical costs. I had only to pay my 1,200 out of pocked max.
Anovulation, Unexplained
They [staff at Wash U Fertility] are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances...We started with Lori, with whom we felt like we developed a personal and caring relationship with. However, Lori recently moved away and we have now been working with Kathy, who has also been fantastic so far....She [Dr. Jungheim] is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as we
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances.
She met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
She is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as well as one that would work with my husband and I to achieve our goals. I strongly feel that Dr. Jungheim has done just that. She has exceeded my expectations.
Be prepared to hear the good and bad of what to expect during the infertility treatment process, which is exactly what I prefer to hear from a physician.
We did a few cycles using only fertility medications, because we wanted to see if we could conceive with as little medical intervention as possible. When that was unsuccessful, we moved on to IUI, knowing that our chances of conceiving with this ,ethos was only slightly better than naturally. Out 2 IUI cycles were unsuccessful. Then we decided to move on to IVF. The clinic holds an orientation which is very informative. We went into the process feeling like we had a good idea of what to expect. Our fresh cycle was not successful, so Dr. Jungheim encouraged us to try another cycle using frozen embryos and so far it has been successful and we couldn't be more thrilled.
The process is efficient and flexible. They are very willing to work with your schedule and offer a range of available times to fit better with your personal needs.
I am unsure, as I was fortunate enough to have the majority of my treat,nets covered by my insurance policy.
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
The clinic [Washington University Fertility] did IVF on rotation. So even if you loved your doctor, she helped set you up, but another doctor may be doing your retrieval and transfer. Dr. Cooper was so kind she came in and visited sometimes during our retrieval/transfers anyway. I did not connect with all the other doctors the same way I did with Amber Cooper, but I trusted their skills....Even though we traveled across state lines (we are on the IL side of St Louis), our insurance covered most of our procedures after getting a Global Release.
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic did IVF on rotation. So even if you loved your doctor, she helped set you up, but another doctor may be doing your retrieval and transfer. Dr. Cooper was so kind she came in and visited sometimes during our retrieval/transfers anyway. I did not connect with all the other doctors the same way I did with Amber Cooper, but I trusted their skills.
Amber Cooper was always excited to see us, like an old friend. She remembered our daughter's name (miscarriage) and would use her name when speaking about her. That meant a lot. She would check on us and email us any time we had questions or worries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
She wasn't all about business. She cared to ask how I was going, really doing, and wanted to know when/if I felt overhwelmed or scared or worried. She always validated my feelings and helped encourage me to push on.
Amber Cooper was just amazing. Can't say a bad thing about her. She was warm and kind, and sympathized with us. She greeted us excitedly and was always hopeful (but realistic) on our chances. She built our family.
Don't wait.
Our first IVF cycle I had very low quality eggs and embryos. We transferred two, but were realistic with how low quality they were. That cycle was a BFN. The very next cycle 3 months later we completely switched protocols and injections. I responded slightly better. We transferred 2 more "below average" embryos, but by miracle one took. Two years later or son wanted a sibling. We reviewed my results and tweaked my protocol once again. We had twin girls.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I was not a fan of a few of the receptionists [WashU- CWE]. I think one might have been a student, she was our first contact and unfortunately did not know what she was doing. We had a moment of panic when she couldn't find us on the schedule and she always acted somewhat inconvenienced. However, their regular front office lady was always so sweet and warm to us!... Andrea was very caring, understanding and patient. With how many hormonal women she deals with on a daily basis she never let any of my frustrations or emotions frustrate her. I felt comfortable speaking with her about concerns I had and asking questions.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I was not a fan of a few of the receptionists. I think one might have been a student, she was our first contact and unfortunately did not know what she was doing. We had a moment of panic when she couldn't find us on the schedule and she always acted somewhat inconvenienced. However, their regular front office lady was always so sweet and warm to us! We unfortunately were with WASHU when Dr. Cooper left the practice without notice. We were one of her patients and that was very scary for us. We weren't notified and I found out when I came in for blood work which was not ideal. Thankfully between Andrea contacting us and meeting with Dr. Omurtag things turned around and we are glad we continued our care with them.
Dr. Omurtag spoke to my husband and I as an individual couple and not as a statistic or in general terms. He sent messages to check on us even after our daughter was born and thanked us for the birth announcements/christmas card we sent.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
I really appreciated that Dr. Omurtag was willing to take my husband and I's concerns/opinions into account. He performed a scratch test, which at the time, had only been researched on women who had failed IVF cycles. Knowing the benefits of the scratch test I was adamant that I wanted it done. Dr. Omurtag explained the risks and research but respected our feelings. He was always positive but sure to explain the realistic side of things. He took the time to meet with my husband and I multiple times after our initial doctor left the practice without warning.
To not be afraid to explain your opinions or feelings on the procedure. It is ultimately your body and baby and he is very cognizant of that and won't make you feel intimated about asking questions.
All of the procedures, aside from the scratch test, were used specifically for someone with my diagnoses and age.
I dont remember, somewhere in the range of $15,000 with medication
WASHU's goal is one healthy singleton but there are considerations when making the decision on how many embryos to transfer. In our situation we had one that wasn't a great quality and the embryologist did not think would make to freeze but had a slight chance with transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
The [Wash U- CWE] clinic is very private and very positive...The girl who set me up with the medications did such a great job of working with our insurance on such short notice. I felt the staff was extremely accommodating...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is very private and very positive.
I was 19 when I began seeing Dr. Cooper. I have always felt that she has treated me like a friend. She is extremely compassionate and empathetic. I did not get the results we had hoped for but every time she called with the bad news, she was so empathetic and took the time to listen to my fears and my hurt. She is always so optimistic. I have never felt a connection with a doctor the way I feel with Dr. Cooper and I have never trusted a doctor as much as I trust her.
The nurse practitioner that worked with Dr Cooper was phenomenal as was the staff in the lab and the ultrasound technicians.
I began seeing Dr. Cooper my freshman year of college. She was very understanding of the stress I was going through with transitioning to college as well as the stress of trying to have a successful egg retrieval. It took several attempt to get my hormone levels to the appropriate level to go forward with the injections but Dr. Cooper was always optimistic. I was finally able to go through with the injections but they were unsuccessful. My ovaries did not produce any follicles. Even through the disappointment, she helped me to remain hopeful. We tried two more times in two different ways. Both times were unsuccessful. Dr. Cooper was so hopeful for me. I could tell she wanted it to work just as badly as I did. Unfortunately, we had to take a step back and take a break from the process. She has always encouraged me to remain hopeful because I am so young. I still see her annually and she keeps me up to date with the new research. She is very cutting edge. I will never go to a different fertility specialist.
Don't wait.
My parents insurance covered the treatment. The girl who set me up with the medications did such a great job of working with our insurance on such short notice. I felt the staff was extremely accommodating.
St. Louis CWE
[Dr. Kenan Omurtag] is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children...First, I had an ultrasound to look at my uterus. I just had an hsg so we looked at the xrays. I had a saline ultrasound to determine how they would get to where they needed to implant. I also had an outpatient surgery to open up my cervix I believe I was on the long agonist protocol. I had to take birth control for 1 month before I began the meds. Everything worked out good and I had day 5 embryos with 38 eggs retrieved. I had 13 embryos frozen and 1 embryo implanted. It took and we have a healthy baby boy.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
One of the secretaries wasn't very nice when answering questions or over billing issues. It was not the one with brown curly hair, she remembered us and was very nice.
He treated us like a person and was very compassionate and real with process
They took the time to answer all my questions and were very compassionate towards me.
Kenan is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
First come first serve. We arrived the time the doors open and usually only had to wait briefly.
He worked very well with Blue Cross out of Illinois. Out of the total of around 30k billed for everything including drug cost we were only responsible for around 2500 bucks plus 700 a year for embryo storage for our frozen embryos.
St. Louis Mo Bapt
The ladies who did my ultrasounds [at Washington University School of Medicine] and blood work were great, I actually miss seeing them since I was there a few times a week. They made me feel comfortable even when you are stressed out with everything going on, I feel like they were all very positive which is what you need
European, Other
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I thought it was easy to get in and out of, clean, professional and had top of the line equipment
He really took the time to talk with us (husband) and go over our options, what the chances were. He was amazing in taking time to e-mail and call us to check in and see how we were doing, if we had any questions or needed anything. I really felt like he was part of our team
The ladies who did my ultrasounds and blood work were great, I actually miss seeing them since I was there a few times a week. They made me feel comfortable even when you are stressed out with everything going on, I feel like they were all very positive which is what you need
He was the 2nd doctor that we saw for our issues. we had done other treatments that didn't work. Dr Omurtag really took the time to sit with us and answer questions and go over all of our issues which didn't happen with the other Dr. I felt and still do that Dr Omurtag really helped make this horrible journey enjoyable and I really felt like he was right along with us every step of the way. Checking in on us, answer all of our questions along the way.
He really cares about his patients and puts you at ease for such a stressful process of trying to conceive
he went over our options and then after doing the testing told us what would be the most successful option for us. I cant recall which treatment it was for IVF but he did let us know that IUIs were not a good option for us and so we didn't consider that again
I never added the total up since we were successful, I don't care the cost since we have a baby now
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
There is more than just her [Dr. Keller] when it comes to ivf. There are several doctors who work together and decided which methods and medicines should work best for each ivf patient.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
When we first met, she was very down to earth and easy to talk to. My husband liked her also which was a huge plus. She always knew my name when we came in and so did her staff. She took the time to explain a lot to us and took even our drive time to and from appointments into consideration for scheduling.
She knew just as much as Dr Keller did. Any question I had after the consultations, she could answer or get an answer for me and return my call. The nurses are trained to be able to answer those questions. They are a big part of the whole process and they are the ones you talk with the most during it.
I loved having her for my doctor. We discussed everything that needed to be talked about. I had done some research on my own before our consultations and then asked questions throughout when they came up. When we did the iuis, the timing was off but that was probably partly because of how my cycles fell, usually over the weekends was when I would ovulate. They were all natural cycles because she wanted to keep things as close to natural as possible if we could. When they proved to not be working, we tried a medicated cycle and I overstimulated. I came in for an ultrasound and we decided to have another consultation. Over the phone, we discussed our next step, she thought I would respond well to the meds,which was ivf. We were able to start immediately and were both excited and nervous. There is more than just her when it comes to ivf. There are several doctors who work together and decided which methods and medicines should work best for each ivf patient. They all specialize in different areas and some overlap with other doctors but the made me feel better for choosing her.
Be open and ready to ask questions if you don't understand something. She will answer any question you have and won't judge you for it. Even if it seems small or silly. Ask anyway. She was able to answer my questions and provide the information I needed to make our decisions.
They scheduled between 7:30 - 9:30 am. They would put you down in a time slot but if you happen to show up a little early they were usually pretty good about getting you in early if not right one time. There usually wasnt much waiting when they scheduled you like this. There were several utlrasound techs and several ultrasound rooms. Different times during the day were for different types of appointments.
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
The [Wash U - CWE] clinic sees a lot of patients and they hold a lot of educational seminars / teaching moments for patients...Everyone was attentive to my needs. They all understood my fears and took their time with me. They trated me like gold...Leave no question un-asked. Go to the consultation a couple to talk about growing your family. Everyone involved in the process should be seen and talk with Dr. Cooper...
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic sees a lot of patients and they hold a lot of educational seminars / teaching moments for patients.
Dr. Cooper, was working at Wash U at the time. There were a number of reproductive endocrinologist on staff that took weekend call for egg retrieval and egg transfers. The clinic worked as a team. Due to my fear of medical procedures I would only agree to be seen by Dr. Cooper. She agreed to oversee my care and came in for all of my appointments, egg retrieval, and egg transfers. She is the most compassionate physician I have ever met. She puts her patients first.
Dr. Cooper will take the time to inform the patient of the physical, emotional, and even financial aspects of trying to grow a family. My wife, who fears the medical profession, was able to overcome her greatest fear and perform 1 cycle of IVF, which I directly correlate to Dr. Cooper. She moved mountains so my wife could overcome her greatest fear and be granted her most desired wish, a family. She came in for every appointment, for every procedure, even though she worked in a multi-physician environment. Dr. Cooper cares about her patients and will spend any amount of time necessary to make a patient comfortable with their options and their decision.
The ART method was followed. Daily ultra sounds with medication dose changes based upon medical diagnostic testing performed daily.
Patrial Insurance Coverage. Between $5-$10, our of pocket.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The [Was U - CWE] clinic overall was very caring and very compassionate. They took care of their patients and made sure I was comfortable with everything and how everything was explained...The nursing staff was very caring and sweet during all the processes. They went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable with everything that was happening...If you have any questions be honest with him and he will be honest with you. He was very good at going over things we didn't understand and making sure that i knew what was happening each step of the way...
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic overall was very caring and very compassionate. They took care of their patients and made sure I was comfortable with everything and how everything was explained.
He spoke to me in a caring manner and made sure that I understood everything that was happening. He made me feel like a person each step of the way and made sure that I was comfortable. He always knew me by name and my spouse. He took the time to ask how I was, my family and my older child.
Dr Omurtag was beyond wonderful. I would recommend him and the drs at Wash U to anyone that is going to be going through ivf treatment. I had a dr prior to him that was awful and did not take my feelings into any consideration. The drs at Wash U and Dr Omurtag made sure to check with me each step and made sure I was comfortable with everything that was going on and how we were going to handle everything. They helped me have my baby boy and I cannot thank them enough for everything they have done for me.
When i went to see Dr Omurtag I knew I wanted to do ivf and did not want to do any other treatment. He was very open to that and let me make that choice. He used injectable drugs.
I do not remember all the costs as the ivf was covered by my insurance. So i only had to pay my ded/opx.
St. Louis CWE
The entire clinic staff [Washington University] is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!... Given we had no fertility coverage, we were always made aware of the out of pocket costs for everything. There was never any cost surprises. They made sure we had and knew all our options in regards to the cost and financing.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The entire clinic staff is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jimenez and her staff has made us feel comfortable and are so attentive. They treat you like family! They are always accessible and are there for you! I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate her staff! They go above and beyond for their patients and their dream for a family!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
They are all amazing!! Very attentive! They treated us like family! They went above and beyond!
How was your experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night. She worked with us as far as timing for our IUIs. We drove 2 hrs to see her. She always made us feel more like family instead of a patient!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Definitely be prepared to hear a lot of information. She covers everything and is very thorough! Take paper with you to jot down notes if you’d like.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe Patricia Jimenez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
I’m 38 and she was comfortable with a 2 embryo transfer. It was more up to me to decide after considering risks and benefits.
Patricia Jimenez
St. Louis CWE
Good communication, friendly receptionists, nice waiting area and multiple doctors available at all times to assist with procedures [at Wash U]. Everything was explained in detail when we were there and the billing department always let you know when a procedure was or wasn’t covered by insurance.... Kathy [a nurse] is super friendly and informative. She communicated information to Dr. Omurtag quickly and always got back to us in a timely manner. She performed all three of our IUIs.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I have nothing bad to say. Good communication, friendly receptionists, nice waiting area and multiple doctors available at all times to assist with procedures. Everything was explained in detail when we were there and the billing department always let you know when a procedure was or wasn’t covered by insurance.
When I enter the clinic I feel like the staff know who I am and where I’m at in my journey.
Kathy is super friendly and informative. She communicated information to Dr. Omurtag quickly and always got back to us in a timely manner. She performed all three of our IUIs.
Kenan explained everything in detail and was interested everything we had done before meeting with him. He got to know my husband and I in detail and gave us a reassuring feeling when we left his office.
He is on it and will want to be aggressive with treatment. I think this is a good thing!
He wanted to start us with IUI because we had one miscarriage prior to meeting with him. It was possible for us to get pregnant but had been challenging. IUI was the more affordable option and we had a good chance of success. He stated to do 3 rounds and if one did not work we would meet again and decide the next steps. Most likely IVF.
First visit was covered with copay and we never were charged for all of our blood work, so insurance covered that. Our IUI’s were $383 each time and the ovidrel shot was $107
2014 - 2017
I honestly do not have a lot to say about this office. Everyone was professional but definitely did not get any warm and fuzzy feelings from them. The techs that drew blood were always very nice and very good at their job...Dr Jungheim was nice but kept pushing IVF as an only option for my treatment. She only wanted to do 3 IUIs and move on to IVF. I really felt like there were other options for me that were less expensive. Also i didnt like the fact the nurses did the IUIs and not the doctor
2014 - 2017
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
When i first saw her we did 3 rounds of clomid and tried timing intercourse. Then jan 2017 started femara preparing for IUI and told me to take OPKs starting day 10. Took them through day 20 and no positive test. They did an US and confirmed ovulation. No IUI performed. Feb 2017 took femara again started monitoring with US. Did US too late and missed ovulation. No IUI performed. March 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test May 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test. Contacted her in July 2017 and suggested that maybe my progesterone was too low and asked for her to take blood work throughout my cycle and she refused. That is when i decided to leave her practice and seek help elsewhere.
I had a $10k benefit towards Wash U doctors so i had insurance coverage i only had a $50 copay for each of the 2 IUIs that were performed.
St. Louis CWE
The clinic [Washington University Medical Center] is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.... Nikki [a nurse] is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.
Dr Jungheim is very caring and cares for me personally.
Nikki is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Dr Jungheim is very helpful and was extremely comforting while dealing with my many miscarriages as well as a complication during my ivf cycle. She checked up on me numerous times and has remained positive and very supportive.
Don't spend too long doing IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Jungheim encouraged me to move to IVF but was supportive when I wasn't ready. I now wish I had moved on sooner.
We did clomid and IUI for several cycles. Then we did a long agonist cycle starting with a month of oral contraceptives then adding Lupron, gonal F and menopur. That cycle resulted in a miscarriage. I now am undergoing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with estrogen and progesterone.
I paid 383$ for each IUI cycle. We paid a total of around $12 k for our IVF cycle with an additional $4k for prescriptions. We have no IVF or infertility coverage.
She prefers and counsels in favor of elective single embryo transfer in my age group but is very receptive to whatever the patient wants to do.
St. Louis CWE
Dr Omurtag and his staff [at Washington U - CWE] were amazing throughout the whole process. Calling them compassionate does not do them justice....He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals....I have never Experienced a more compassionate and professional medical team. Each time we came in for a regular appointment for procedure we were treated with kindness compassion and dignity
Dr Omurtag and his staff were amazing throughout the whole process. Calling them compassionate does not do them justice. We lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks due to Turner syndrome and Dr Omurtag and his staff were so supportive. We would not be pregnant right now if it weren’t for them. I could not give them a higher recommendation.
Like I said previously in the survey I have never Experienced a more compassionate and professional medical team. Each time we came in for a regular appointment for procedure we were treated with kindness compassion and dignity. Having lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks we were absolutely devastated. That being said, Dr. Omurtag and his staff showed more compassion than I can possibly explain. He got us back in the saddle and now we are pregnant with what will be hopefully our second daughter or first son. I trust him implicitly and I would recommend him to my closest loved ones. He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals.
Do not waste your time worrying about whether or not Dr. Omurtag and his team are right for you because I will tell you that you will not and cannot find any better in their field. They are amazing!
St. Louis CWE
Dr. Omurtag and his staff [at Washington U - CWE] welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available...[nURSES] Kathy and Jessie were on top of all my needs. They would call and check up on me, were prompt with calling me with my results. Jessie was on top of all my lab work that was done in illinois so i didnt have to travel to st louis for my labs. They were so kind and amazing.
I live in Illinois and there is 1 fertility doctor in my area that has a horrible rep. Dr. Omurtag and his staff welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available. I would travel the 2hrs regulary if I had too just to get the care that I got from his office.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy and Jessie)
Dr. Omurtag was very caring. I dont have a single complaint. He put together a program and walked me through everything from day one. He had a positive attitude and was very clear on the goal. My experience was amazing and I would go back to him if I ever needed to have another treatment. If he wasnt able to follow uo with me he had a one of a kind staff that was kind made sure all your needs were met.
Dr Omurtag set a plan for me in May 2017. We had a few tests done and was but on fertility medication in June. July 2017 i had my first IUI and found out that I was pregnant 2wks later. He saw me at wk 7 and stated that he would release back to my illinois doctor but if i ever needed anything to let him know.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[At Washington University Fertility] They were very flexible and reserved specific times a day for quick visits or blood work to ensure that they were able to provide flexibility...It was under $25K for 1 Fresh transfer cycle and medications, 1 Frozen embryo cycle and medications...Every time I met with Dr. Omurtag we talked about my specific concerns and he addressed my concerns with my medical results rather than just giving me generalized information or data from research articles.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omurtag was referred to me by my gynecologist. Her exact words were "every time I send him a patient they come back to me pregnant within the year." So I went to him believing he would be able to help and I trusted his advice. I often would research things on my own and come to him with recommendations and he helped me to understand my unique situation and demonstrated that he was making decisions based off of my medical information and not just going through the motions.
Always do your research so that you will know what questions to ask along the way. This way you will be more confident and accepting of the results even if it does not end with a baby. Consider skipping the fresh transfer and starting with a frozen cycle. Ask Dr. Omurtag if that would make sense for your situation.
I can't remember everything I just know that it was customized for my situation. I researched various protocols and realized it is not a one size fits all.
4 IUI, 3 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
I honestly could not say enough about this entire [Wash U - CWE] clinic. From the moment you walk in the door, the front office is welcoming and apologetic for any wait times. (Rarely was there any waiting) The phlebotomists are top notch and super sweet. The ultrasound techs are professional and compassionate. I really can't think of anything I would change about the staff or clinic...
4 IUI, 3 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I honestly could not say enough about this entire clinic. From the moment you walk in the door, the front office is welcoming and apologetic for any wait times. (Rarely was there any waiting) The phlebotomists are top notch and super sweet. The ultrasound techs are professional and compassionate. I really can't think of anything I would change about the staff or clinic.
I never felt like a number at this practice. From the front office to the phlebotomists, the Ultrasound techs, the OR staff, Dr. Omurtag and other MD's that assisted with my procedures. Everyone I met here was truely amazing and felt like a friend or family member.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith, Kathy, Mary)
The nurses were excellent! They were great with keeping me informed, relaying results and directions. They made sure I understood the protocols. I felt comfortable calling them if I had any questions.
I was impressed from the first office visit I had with Dr. Omurtag. He spent over an hour going over my fertility history, really paying attention to what has worked in the past and even more what hasn't. He's extremely thorough and detailed. Explaining plans/treatments and always stopping to see if we had any questions.
I have seen many fertility MD's in the Stl area and I truely wish I would have started here. Don't wait, make your appointment now!
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Be prepared for lots of appointments and to work with nurses and possibly other doctors. Dr. Omurtag and his nurse will handle all of your consultations, procedures not related to IVF (including IUI, which is performed by the nurse), treatment plan, instructions, test results, and scheduling. However, the doctors [at Wash U - CWE] take turns performing IVF procedures on a monthly basis, so a different physician may perform your retrieval and/or transfer.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us. He and his staff were always available to address our questions and concerns. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic, but also optimistic and encouraging.
We have very positive feelings about Dr. Omurtag, he is very personable and explained the entire process in detail and answered every question we had. He also gave us his thinking behind the treatment plan he formulated for us, as well as any changes made along the way. We never felt pressured to make a quick decision or to move on to a new treatment until we were ready physically, emotionally and financially. While we didn't see him every visit and he didn't perform every procedure, we felt very comfortable working with the other doctors in the practice and we knew we could set up a meeting, call or email him at any time.
Be prepared for lots of appointments and to work with nurses and possibly other doctors. Dr. Omurtag and his nurse will handle all of your consultations, procedures not related to IVF (including IUI, which is performed by the nurse), treatment plan, instructions, test results, and scheduling. However, the doctors take turns performing IVF procedures on a monthly basis, so a different physician may perform your retrieval and/or transfer.
Kenan Omurtag
The [Wash U - CWE] office setting is conveniently located, clean, and professional. Dr. Ratts usually runs behind schedule so plan on waiting to be seen...I rarely received results from labwork or scans without calling the office, leaving a message, and waiting for a return phone call. Return calls were not very quick and could sometimes take over 2 days...
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The office setting is conveniently located, clean, and professional. Dr. Ratts usually runs behind schedule so plan on waiting to be seen.
This practice felt more like a business trying to sell IVF.
I communicated with the nursing staff over the phone frequently. Mary RN was very direct and offered little compassion.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
I completed three rounds of letrozole and two rounds of Clomid with follicle scans under the care of Dr. Ratts. I never ovulated on any of these cycles. Dr. Ratts said I could either pursue IUI or IVF, but she would recommend IVF if I was going to spend the money. After all of my failed treatment cycles, I didn't have any direct communication with her. All messages were relayed through her nurse, which was frustrating.
Do not see Dr. Ratts if you are not interested in pursuing IVF.
I did three rounds of letrozole (2.5, 5, and 7.5 mg) with OPKs and timed intercourse. When I didn't have a period by CD35 and had a negative pregnancy test, I took Provera to have a withdrawal bleed. I also did two rounds of Clomid (150 and 250 mg) with a follicle scan. I did not develop a follicle with either scan so my treatments stopped. My next course of action was to try injectable medications with IUI or IVF, and I did not want to pursue that course at the time due to financial and ethical concerns.
Ultrasounds - $360; Injectables $3,000-5,000; IUI - $1200; IVF - $11,000
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I would have to schedule my appointment [at Wash U - MO Bapt] within a few hours in the morning. If I had to wait for my turn, it was usually a short wait under 10 min. To get the ultrasound and blood work done, I was usually in and out within 30 min. I usually had results back via a phone call within 2 or 3 hours... They [nurses] were all very friendly and helpful...
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Omurtag was very caring and took his time to explain things to me and what my options were. He kept track of me even when I wasn't seeing him at the time. When he found out we had our son, he personally called me to congratulate us. Dr. Omurtag has an amazing bedside manner.
They were all very friendly and helpful.
I love how Dr. Omurtag would explain the course of treatment and would usually say it 3 times giving me time to process things and think of any questions I might have. He was always positive in things even if the course of treatment had to change or there was some kind of road block that came up. I always left his office feeling fully informed and having hope that things would work out in the end. Dr. Omurtag has an amazing bedside manner and genuinely cares for his patients. :)
You are in amazing hands. Trust him completely.
I would have to schedule my appointment within a few hours in the morning. If I had to wait for my turn, it was usually a short wait under 10 min. To get the ultrasound and blood work done, I was usually in and out within 30 min. I usually had results back via a phone call within 2 or 3 hours.
Most of my costs were covered by my insurance. I was only responsible for about 10% of the bill
3 IUI, IVF
This Washington University clinic has the very best physicians, and I have been extremely impressed by the nursing staff as well. The one improvement I feel could be made is to the front desk staff who can be a bit gruff.... I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
3 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Each time we met with Dr. Jungheim, she took all the time we needed to answer our questions and provide us with more information on the treatments she was recommending.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim is incredibly warm and very thorough and scientific in her treatment planning and recommendations. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to a friend. She maintained a positive but realistic attitude throughout the process.
Dr. Jungheim diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. She was not able to pinpoint any specific issues in either my partner nor I. I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Dr. Jungheim has a strong preference for eSET.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
There is poor comic nation between the doctor and staff [at Wash U]. I was told I could start the IVF cycle on my next cycle and when I called the nurse wondering about what I needed to do, it was not known that I would be on the next cycle. They lacked direction and communication on what the proper steps are and how their flow works.... the monitoring times felt like a heard of cattle waiting to move from one room to the next.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There is poor comic nation between the doctor and staff. I was told I could start the IVF cycle on my next cycle and when I called the nurse wondering about what I needed to do, it was not known that I would be on the next cycle. They lacked direction and communication on what the proper steps are and how their flow works.
I rarely saw Dr Odem and the monitoring times felt like a heard of cattle waiting to move from one room to the next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
My coordinator was amazing and very compassionate. Crystal helped me navigate all of the steps needed.
Dr Odem is very knowledgeable and very thorough. I trust his experience and opinions. It felt, at times, that what we talked about and what was communicated to the nurses and staff was not on the same page. I very much respect Dr Odem and feel he is a great doctor but I did not feel he was the best doctor for treating a patient with Diminished Ovarian Reserve.
You need to be your own advocate in this clinic.
I used a microdose Lupron flare protocol with very high doses of Menopur and gonal f. I ended up with a cancelled cycle and moving forward with an IUI instead due to poor response to the medications.
Nothing specific
No comment
St. Louis CWE
They [Washington University School of Medicine] always work you in if there is an emergency. The wait times are very low and the entire staff was wonderful. The Phlebotomist and Ultrasound techs were all very nice and easy to work with as well...We did financing through ARC and did the One Plus Program. The total cost for us was just over $20,000...Kathy was wonderful to work with and very understanding. She was my go to with all my questions and always made me feel at ease.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They always work you in if there is an emergency. The wait times are very low and the entire staff was wonderful. The Phlebotomist and Ultrasound techs were all very nice and easy to work with as well.
Dr. Omurtag and his nurse Kathy were always available to assist and answer any questions we had. They are very personable and help to make a somewhat scary experience seem painless and easy.
Dr. Omurtag was great to work with. He takes him time with his patients and lets you know exactly what to expect along the way. Even if he was unavailable all the other doctors were familiar with our protocol and were also always available to assist.
Ask questions
Dr. Omurtag put us on a long protocol with a month of birth control in the beginning. After the birth control we did injectibles with medrol, Gonal F and one more drug i can't remember to stimulate the ovaries. WE had one retrieval where we retrieved 19 eggs. Four of those successfully made it to Blastocyte stage.
Our odds were good for success so my husband and I selected to only have one transferred each time. That was also the Dr.'s recommendation based on our age (under 35) and other medical factors.
St. Louis CWE
So far the clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] has been amazing. They are thorough and make sure we are right on track. They provide a class for anyone going through IVF to let them know in detail what to expect with their cycles...Amy is very detail oriented and is there to answer any additional questions we have. If we call and she has to call us back she is very prompt and ready with the answers...I will be starting injections at the end of April and hopefully by the end of may we will be doing the transfer of embryos
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
So far the clinic has been amazing. They are thorough and make sure we are right on track. They provide a class for anyone going through IVF to let them know in detail what to expect with their cycles. Two thumbs up to the clinic. They are amazing!
She and her staff truly care about me/my husband and our success.
Dr. Keller is warm and compassionate, she talks to us and not at us. She lets us know exactly what to expect each visit. She is also very thorough and detail oriented. You can tell she really wants you to succeed.
Ask questions, don't worry if you think they are "dumb", the doctor is happy to answer all question and make sure you are well informed. No question is a dumb question.
We are doing are on our first official cycle. I will be starting injections at the end of April and hopefully by the end of may we will be doing the transfer of embryos
Not sure.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
The service there [Washington University] was always amazing. As many patients as they have...I always felt like I was the only one everytime...You always get a call back the same day you leave a message. I've always been able to get good appts and they always describe what to expect prior to arrival. Waiting time is very minimal. Front desk is always super nice and personable...Everyone is friendly and seems to know their job. They are always busy but never seem stressed. They always speak or smile no matter what
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The service there was always amazing. As many patients as they have...I always felt like I was the only one everytime
He is quick and to the point and always asks my partner how she feels. He even called after the baby was born to congratulate us and see how we were doing. He remembers your name and creates personal conversation with you. Where are you from....what do you like and dislike. Really an awesome down to earth guy
Trust him
Everything was timing related. If there was an option he would clearly lay out the pros and cons and then let you decide. Very knowledgeable
I am military and had to pay out of pocket for all of my services
I had the option to move 2 due to my age. We discussed it and I ultimately said you are the dr. If this was you...what would you do. We got our answer and made our decision and everything worked out wonderfully
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
The clinic [Wash U - Mo Bap] did not have a long waiting list, which was extremely important to me as time was not on our side. They are always willing to discuss appointments and information when I would call outside the appointments....Instead of seeing a PA or a NP for the initial consultation, I met with Dr. Omurtag and he completed every step of the appointment. Since then, he has always been directly involved in the care that occurred at the appointments.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic did not have a long waiting list, which was extremely important to me as time was not on our side. They are always willing to discuss appointments and information when I would call outside the appointments.
Dr. Omurtag was willing to work with my husband and I as we struggled with insurance coverage through the state of Illinois. There was not a time that he was unwilling to consider alternative treatment options to meet our needs of starting a family.
Ask as many questions you would like, he is very knowledgeable!
I am unsure of the actual costs from the treatments thus far. But I am a state of Illinois insurance carrier and he was more than willing to work with us even in the condition of the state of Illinois and not receiving payment for services. Other options were available to us.
St. Louis Mo Bapt
Meredith was friendly and made me feel comfortable all along the way. She was there to answer any questions whenever I needed her to...Between $20,000 & 25,000...We had 3 failed IUI's. Then we mived to injectables. We did have to stop the meds towards the end of the first round because I wasn't responding. Then we took a month off and began again with a new plan.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone was kind and professional. The clinic was always clean and inviting.
Dr. Omurtag was professional and kind. He gave us straightforward information and was honest in his expectations for success. He made us feel like he really cared about us and was available to talk when we were nervous, upset, or had a question.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: MEREDITH )
He was professional, thoughtful, and dedicated to helping us. I trusted that he was making solid decisions about our treatment. I knew that he and his team were working hard to figure out the best plan. We knew we were a tough case. While it took a while for us to conceive, he had prepared us for the long journey.
Ask a lot of questions, trust their plan, and as hard as it is- be patient.
I don't remember the exact plans. We had 3 failed IUI's. Then we mived to injectables. We did have to stop the meds towards the end of the first round because I wasn't responding. Then we took a month off and began again with a new plan.
Between $20,000 & 25,000
St. Louis CWE
Meredith [nurse at Wash U in St. Louis] is on top of things and generally has a great attitude and makes you feel like she's taking care of you. But when she is out of the picture things fall apart with too many cooks in the kitchen. She did once get an attitude with me over not calling her back more frequently
Black or African-American, Native American
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
open most of the time and happy to see you on all occassions
sometimes i was treated very well and other times I felt like an after thought
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meridith)
Meridth is on top of things and generally has a great attitude and makes you feel like she's taking care of you. But when she is out of the picture things fall apart with too many cooks in the kitchen. She did once get an attitude with me over not calling her back more frequently
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
There are some obvious gaps in communication at times between the many different nurses involved at times in my case and Kenan. Kenan has been very good with me and my questions and concerns.
be persistent about the nurses you talk to getting the instruction right. Make sure you completely understand what his plan is so you can see deviations in it along the way aren't stemming from him.
still working these out. I'm older so we're tailoring a protocol for me now
monitoring appointments were a well oiled machine. I never really had to wait and it was always super fast
around 15 grand for an ivf, 400 for an iui with meds, just pills 50bucks, injectable cycle 600
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
One piece of advice would be to enter lose hope. There were many times where I know it was just as hard for Dr. Cooper [at Washington University School of Medicine] to share the bad news as it was for us to hear it. She never gave up on us or turned us away. Instead she was there with a hug, compassionate smile, and a let's try again attitude. Now I have no greater joy than being able to share photos and updates of our amazing daughter thanks to her!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Cooper is the most amazing doctor! She is dedicated beyond belief. She made me feel so comfortable and at ease. Dr. Cooper has always gone above and beyond for me and I will never be able to thank her enough.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Brantley)
I would speak with Andrea on a regular basics. She always took the time to make sure I understood everything and did not have any questions. She is truly amazing!
When you enter Dr. Cooper's office she makes you feel so welcome. As her patient, there were many times I was scared, worried, overwhelmed, and the list goes on. However, I always left with a sense of reassurance and comfort. There was never a time I felt unsure of the plan or what was out next step. She stood by my husband and I even step of the way. Bad times and now good, she truly cares for her patients and that passion is evident.
One price of advice would be to enter lose hope. There were many times where I know it was just as hard for Dr. Cooper to share the bad news as it was for us to hear it. She never gave up on us or turned us away. Instead she was there with a hug, compassionate smile, and a let's try again attitude. Now I have no greater joy than being able to share photos and updates of our amazing daughter thanks to her!
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
It was very hard to reach anyone to talk to on the phone, I often had to wait an entire day, or 2-3 days, to receive a phone call back. They misplaced my blood work for several days (which may have revealed an ectopic pregnancy sooner).
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
It took at least entire days, if not 2-3 days to hear back from nursing. My blood work was lost for several days.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim is very friendly and intelligent. I trust her, but had to leave the office due to a major loss of trust with the office.
Dr. Jungheim is very nice and friendly, but not always very available.
Dr. Jungheim was out of town when I started my period. The previous month we had discussed possibly having a surgery to unblock my tube. The office handled setting up the surgery, but no one went over risks of the surgery with us. I was never told that my risk for an ectopic pregnancy was increased. We managed to get pregnant naturally the month of the surgery, but it was ectopic. This surgery is my biggest regret through this entire infertility nightmare.
The surgery recommended by her, but not fully explained to us, was not covered by insurance. Nothing was covered by insurance, including when I was pregnant (ectopic). I believe their billing was incorrect.
IUI, 2 IVF
Washington University keeps up with the latest research and has a high success rate. Their staff are personable and compassionate. They are quick and thorough when it comes to communication. They are willing to work with you, answer questions, and take time to listen.... He [Dr. Omurtag] always took time to talk to us and knew exactly who we were every time we saw him.
IUI, 2 IVF
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
He always took time to talk to us and knew exactly who we were every time we saw him.
He truly cares about his patients. He takes the time to listen to us as well as explain everything on the medical end. He gives opinions but does not try to push us in a specific direction. We also loved that he was very personable and knowledgeable.
Let him guide you through everything and trust his judgement.
Antagonist protocol I was on lupron, gonal-f, Menopur, and then later progesterone.
St. Louis CWE
Ensure you keep track of your insurance and bills. There was an issue with a payment made in office [Wash U School of Med] and still has not posted. Ask for the green dot for parking if not sent in your intro packet. Also ensure an email is sent to invite you the online health portal.... We financed and 2 cycles with up to 4 transfers is $28k... She [Dr. Jimenez] is very warm and welcoming and answered all questions we had. If calls occurred, they were returned quickly.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Native American
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Ensure you keep track of your insurance and bills. There was an issue with a payment made in office and still has not posted. Ask for the green dot for parking if not sent in your intro packet. Also ensure an email is sent to invite you the online health portal.
Great teaching and listening
She is very warm and welcoming and answered all questions we had. If calls occurred, they were returned quickly. She is new to the practice but has already set a great impression. I look forward to continuing our journey and hopefully having success this year.
Take detailed notes and make a list of questions for each visit. Write the answers down at your visit and remember to call if additional questions arise.
Describe the protocols Patricia Jimenez used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I am going to be doing the long agonist protocol. The thought is to suppress my endometriosis and reset my hormones.
We financed and 2 cycles with up to 4 transfers is $28k
Patricia Jimenez
IVF, Donor Sperm
[The nurses at Washington University School of Medicine are] very personable...I first had to go through all the bloodwork and vaginal ultrasound. I was than put with a dr who would help me loose some weight. I needed to loose 60 lbs before the procedure.l can start. I was then placed on metformin and synthyroid.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Go in and see, and always be patient
Just he took interest in who i was and what my life was about, never had a dr so engaged in who i am as a person
The nurses like dr omurtag are very personable
Dr. Omurtag took our particular situation and made us feel at ease that we were doing the best thing that fit what we wanted as parents and ad being an light patient. He never tried to rush us or change our minds with trying a different procedure. He wanted the same outcome we wanted and that was nice to see.
Be patient
Cost is nothing compared to having a baby it was all worth it. Insurance covered most appt but not actual procedure
St. Louis CWE
It's a bigger clinic [Washington U - CWE] so you don't see your doctor at every visit but we still had access to communicate with him...The nursing staff was kind and compassionate. I felt well taken care of and that my questions and concerns were all addressed in a timely manner...We paid out of pocket and cost without meds was around 13,00...Don't be afraid to ask all your questions. Big and small. As patients we are allowed to advocate for ourselves
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It's a bigger clinic so you don't see your doctor at every visit but we still had access to communicate with him.
He was always quick to respond to our questions and concerns. Very reassuring and sympathetic to all the emotions on the roller coaster ride of infertility. I could tell he really wanted us to be successful.
We are still in the middle of treatment but so far he has been honest and encouraging with us. We had some setbacks in not getting the number of follicles we hoped for and he talked us through our options. He was honest but also hopeful.
Don't be afraid to ask all your questions. Big and small. As patients we are allowed to advocate for ourselves and Dr. Omurtag is willing to answer all questions.
We paid out of pocket and cost without meds was around 13,00
St. Louis CWE
Everyone at the office [Wash U] listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!... The nurse always made sure she got back to me in a timely manner. She answered any questions I had and if she wasn't sure, she made sure to ask Dr. Jungheim and then she got back to me immediately. She is always very kind, calm, and patient. She showed us nothing but compassion through the whole process!
Everyone at the office listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!
Dr. Jungheim made sure to explain everything to us. When a cycle failed, she showed us complete compassion and understood our concerns. She made sure she addressed any concerns we had and answered every question. She is kind and trustworthy!
Address any questions or concerns you have
St. Louis CWE
With so many people coming in at the same time, they [Washington University School of Medicine] really worked to get people in and out quickly for the blood works and ultrasounds. They were well organized and showed they care. They would remember your name which was a nice added touch.... Dr. Omurtag was fantastic. He was very upfront on expectations and took time to talk to me after the first IVF did not take. He gave me all the options and helped me think through our next steps which then resulted in a birth.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
With so many people coming in at the same time, they really worked to get people in and out quickly for the blood works and ultrasounds. They were well organized and showed they care. They would remember your name which was a nice added touch.
Dr. Omurtag was amazing. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and could talk freely with him about of questions and concerns. He really took the time to make sure we understood the risks and our options. I am so blessed to have two amazing children and I could not thank him enough for all he did. I would recommend him to anyone.
Don’t be afraid to talk to him and get all your questions answer befor starting the process.
St. Louis CWE
Everyone of his nursing staff [at Washington University] has treated us like we mattered...if we had questions they were answered...every single one of them were compassionate and excited when we were excited...Being billed still but so far they have been pretty good to work with...he [Dr. Omurtag] was always a part of the treatment...He was very good at communicating... I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND him
He had a great bedside manner he keeps us very informed on what's going on
Everyone of his nursing staff has treated us like we mattered if we had questions they were answered and every single one of them were compassionate and excited when we were excited
He was very good at communicating I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND him he has always been very through with the risks and explaining also wanting to make sure we are set up for the best chances of success we have never had any questions when leaving what the next step looked like and he was always a part of the treatment
Be prepared for honesty...He was very honest and we had a few roadblocks but he was open and explained how to take care of them I fully trust his advice
Being billed still but so far they have been pretty good to work with
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
The only issue [at Washington University Fertility] was that I was billed in error for treatment covered by the arc loan program...Both the nurse Andrea and the secretary Mary Ann were so good throughout the entire process. They answered every question. Treated me with respect at all times and showed so much compassion.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The only issue was that I was billed in error for treatment covered by the arc loan program
She has the best bedside manner of any doctor I have ever met. She takes the time to explain everything, sets realistic expectations, and truly cares about your outcome.
She provided treatment that was custom to me and my body. She always made me feel like she cared. She answered every question I had without making me feel stupid for asking.
You can trust her 100%
Endometrial biopsy to test for endometritis and help improve implantation. Lupron, menopure, folystim, and trigger.
Insurance covered some until I reached my lifetime max. Took out a loan from the arc program for about $12000 to cover a retrieval, fresh transfer, and frozen transfer
2013 - 2015
The clinic [Washington University Fertility] is very clean and organized. My one even slightly negative comment would be the front desk had frequent turnover....The nursing staff - Karen for blood work (retired now) and Tracy for ultrasounds - was some of the best I have ever seen....I never felt rushed. I felt that the doctor [Dr. Emily Jungheim] truly understood - and had compassion for - the emotional toll this experience took on a person. We were never pressured to make a decision. Just given the facts and encouraged to make a personal choice at every turn.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is very clean and organized. My one even slightly negative comment would be the front desk had frequent turnover.
I never felt rushed. I felt that the doctor truly understood - and had compassion for - the emotional toll this experience took on a person. We were never pressured to make a decision. Just given the facts and encouraged to make a personal choice at every turn.
Dr. Jungheim is an incredible doctor. She treats her patients and their spouse with respect and compassion. She does not overpromise but offers enough encouraging words that, as a patient, you know that she is deeply invested in the outcome.
You will not regret your choice!
$15,000 all in; Our insurance covered $10,000
St. Louis CWE
I fully credit Dr Omurtag for our twin sons. After failed IUIs he gave us so much hope. He was attentive and always available to us. He was thorough and extremely thoughtful during a very stressful time. During the IVF process I couldnt have felt more comfortable or cared for than with Dr Omurtag & the Wash U staff. When we found out our sons were monodi (identical) he completely explained all that entailed and guided us in choosing a MFM. When our sons were born early due to TTTS he called us to check on them and then again after they were released from the NICU. I recommend him with confidence. He was a wonderful doctor.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
No complaints. The clinic was great.
He was personally invested in our family. He was caring and kind. He felt like a friend though he was always extremely professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelly ??)
Excellent care!
Trust him. He knows his stuff!!
1 cancelled IVF cycle & 1 successful cycle. We had malev
He suggested that we do one, but we elected to do two. Now that I went through a very high risk twin pregnancy I fully understand his concern.
2011 - 2012
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] was very pleasant and discrete when treating me. They understand that the situation is very personal and also upsetting to the patient.... The clinic is very up front with the cost of the procedures. They were willing to work with me on how to pay for my treatments. They facility was clean and had easy parking.
2011 - 2012
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
She was very kind and compassionate. She truly wanted to help us.
The nursing staff was very pleasant and discrete when treating me. They understand that the situation is very personal and also upsetting to the patient.
Dr. Rattes understood we had no insurance coverage and tried to do what was best for us within our financial means. She was very open and honest. She was not afraid to tell me my best option would be IVF and stop wasting my money on IUI's. She always gave me multiple options in the beginning and listed all the pros and cons of each option.
Definitely give her a try!
Dr. Rattes started me with Clomid. She then prepared me for IUI. After it failed she recommended IVF.
I did not have any insurance coverage for infertility so the cost were very high.
St. Louis CWE
Very friendly staff [at Wash U - CWE] and nice facilities...Andrea was beyond amazing. She always called me back right away and listened to my concerns...I was switched to the antagonist protocol after my egg quality was not great on the first cycle...
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Very friendly staff and nice facilities.
He and his nurse both called me to talk with me directly on different occasions to make sure my concerns were answered. He would answer my patient portal messages directly, even when he was on vacation.
He listened to all of my concerns and showed great empathy. He would discuss the current literature with me. He always helped me stay positive. He was genuinely concerned with my outcome.
Trust Dr. Omurtag!
It was covered under insurance.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Friendly and cooperative. Difficult to get through to an actual person though. Almost always have to leave a message for them to call you back. But almost always very quickly back....He [Dr Omurtag] would call on weekends to make sure I was doing ok on my meds. When I found out I had DOR after I tried donating my eggs to my sister, he literally said his stomach dropped when he read my diagnosis.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
He genuinely cared about my issues and our success.
Very friendly!
He would call on weekends to make sure I was doing ok on my meds. When I found out I had DOR after I tried donating my eggs to my sister, he literally said his stomach dropped when he read my diagnosis. He was hurting with us. That's when I knew he was the right doctor for me.
Be open and honest. If you don't agree with an option he gives, let him know. He will work with you to find the best treatment possible and make sure you feel supported.
St. Louis CWE
I have so much to say about doctor Odem and his group [at Washington University in St. Louis Fertility]. They were absolutely fantastic...His nurses knew me by more than just my chart. I had the best experience at Washington University in St. Louis. I would suggest anyone looking into RE's to look into the St. Louis area.
I have so much to say about doctor Odem and his group. They were absolutely fantastic. They took the time to take every single one of my phone calls. He spent hours in consults with me. When I was hospitalized, he came to see me every day for progress checks. His nurses knew me by more than just my chart. I had the best experience at Washington University in St. Louis. I would suggest anyone looking into RE's to look into the St. Louis area.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The tone in the way that the staff [at Washington University in St. Louis Fertility] and Dr. Keller talked to me showed that they had true compassion....Dr. Keller successfully got me pregnant and was a compassionate Doctor. Her nursing staff was also great!
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The tone in the way that the staff and dr. Keller talked to me showed that they had true compassion.
Utilize the patient portal, that is the fastest way to get a response