Genetic counseling: Offered
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Dr. Omurtag] was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Just know that none of the docs within the WashU program are super patient-forward. You'll communicate with their nurses and receptionists, but these are amazing people who have no problem getting to the doctor, and getting back to you...She [nurse] had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from [Dr. Omurtag], still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Kenan was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Kenan knew exactly what was going on with us at every step of the way. His staff (receptionist and nurse) were really great to work with, and answered all of our questions. Like everyone going through the infertility nightmare, we were a special snowflake case. He knew the details, day in and day out, and was hugely supportive.
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with an estrogen primer, followed by five days of Letrozole. From there, I added in 150 Follistim. Eventually, we added Ganirelix, with an HcG trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is amazing! She had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from Kenan, still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk staff are great, the techs who do the blood draws are kind and compassionate, and the medical staff (doctors) we interacted with were really good at their jobs. If there's a weakness, it's that you don't have much direct contact with your doctor beyond the initial consult and testing, and the post-beta testing. For most of the treatment period, you're talking with the doctor's receptionist and nurse. Your doctor is still closely following your progress - you just don't talk with him/her.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
We were ridiculously fortunate to have coverage through both my insurance and my husband's insurance. We paid under $3,000 for both IVF protocols.
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Because of my age, we planned to do fresh 3-day transfers. We transferred every embryo we had at that point (4 the first time, 3 the second).
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.

IVF, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Immunological
Dr. Jungheim constantly has our best interest at heart. You can tell she genuinely cares about my husband and I's struggle with infertility and she is constantly finding ways/different options for us to make it possible to have a baby...She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there...personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I
They sometimes offer drinks [at Washington University School of Medicine] while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
IVF, Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Immunological
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim cares for her patients. She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there. She makes me feel like she cares about me and my need to have a baby. My husband and I are both CF carriers, so we determined, along with Dr. Jungheim that PGD/PGS would have to be done to ensure that the CF gene is not passed along to our children. Long story short, insurance DENIED the PGD/PGS, however Dr. Jungheim personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I, to only have my insure company approve it. I strongly believe Dr. Jungheim would do this for any of her patients and I know that she cares for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
See her, if you are facing infertility. She will not only figure out the best course of treatment for you, but will fight for you, until she finds something that will work. She is constantly willing to think of new ways to help my husband and I and she explains everything, in and out, regardless of how long it takes. There is never a rush with her, while she is talking to me, and that makes me feel so important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
First, Dr. Jungheim felt it to be necessary to get a genetic screening on me, as my husband was already a known CF carrier. We all thought nothing of it, that I would be fine, but the screening did also say I was a CF carrier as well. Dr. Jungheim is the one to make that call, and I can't think her enough for it, as we could have passed that disease along and it would've been awful. So, we are currently in the middle of the PGD/PGS development. We spoke with Dr. Jungheim about 3 weeks ago, regarding the details, as we cannot proceed with any cycles until we get confirmation that the development was complete, however it could be at anytime now. So, she put me on birth control at that time. This will help knowing right where I am in my cycle, so we are able to start/stop things if needed right away. She also put me on a prenatal vitamin just to help get my body ready. Once the development of the PGD/PGS is confirmed, I will start my medication for stimulation. cannot remember exactly which ones I will be on, but I know she said roughly I will be on meds for about 14 days before the egg retrieval. From there, the embryos will be made and grow for 6 days. At that time, the surviving embryos will be biopsied and frozen. The biopsies themselves will be sent to the company for the PGD/PGS and we will wait about 2 weeks to hear if any of those embryos are medically clear for transfer. If there are more than 1, we will keep them frozen, as we are only implanting one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate, Melanie)
All of the nursing staff at the office is great. They are usually very quick on calling back, to answer questions. My clinic also has an online patient portal, and if I get impatient, I also write them via the portal, and they are also quick to respond on that as well. They are all very sweet, and just like Dr. Jungheim, I can tell that they care for the patients.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are always on time, and if they rent, they are sure to update me and apologize. They sometimes offer drinks while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
I am still in the procees, so no bills have come to us yet. I have had a Saline Sonogram, which the bill was around $2,000, but I only had to pay $35 after inuracne. I do know that the PGD/PGS development will cost around $6,000, meds will cost anywhere between $3,500-$4,500 and the IVF procedures themselves which also have to include ICSI, freezing of the embryos, etc will be about $10,000, if not more.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Jungheim, and the rest of her clinic, are very reluctant on transferring multiple embryos. Of course, it depends on the mothers age, and other health concerns, but for me, Dr. Jungheim explained that I am otherwise healthy and also with my husband and I having to go through PGD/PDS, there is a high likelyhood that the one embryo that we implant, will take. I fully trust herin this. Dr. Jugheim explained, that transferring 2 embryos does not necessarily increase the risk of pregnancy, as if one embryo wants to take, it'll take, but transferring two embryos does increase the chance for multiples, which then becomes high risk.

2019 - 2020
Unexplained, Other
I called on a Friday with worries that my scaring might be returning (Friday’s are Dr.Odem’s surgeries) he called me at 6:30 on a Friday night to talk me through my worries and complaints and helped me find a doctor closer to home. Dr. Odem said I’d only need one surgery for Ashermans (most women need multiple!) and he was right! I only wish I lived closer I would have continued to see Dr. Odem...Dr. Odem LISTENS and tries to answer every one of your questions. He takes time and is not in a rush to see the next patient- you feel like he’s on your side and a friend. He ALWAYS called me back the same day with any questions or worries I had. I only wish I lived closer.
Nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] was also amazing, caring, and listened...The staff and clinic as a whole are amazing. Everyone took their time to explain procedures and protocol to me. I didn’t feel like cattle being moved from one room to another. My case was a bit different than others- but I wasn’t treated any differently. I know I called many times (I’m sure I was annoying) but this staff worked with me. They helped ensure my procedure was covered by insurance!!
2019 - 2020
Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Be prepared to have a doctor who treats you more like a friend than just another number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Odem listened to my complaints, worries, questions- everything. After seeing three doctors, I finally saw a doctor who LISTENED and cared and put my worries at ease! He is so caring. I called on a Friday with worries that my scaring might be returning (Friday’s are Dr.Odem’s surgeries) he called me at 6:30 on a Friday night to talk me through my worries and complaints and helped me find a doctor closer to home. Dr. Odem said I’d only need one surgery for Ashermans (most women need multiple!) and he was right! I only wish I lived closer I would have continued to see Dr. Odem. Seriously- cannot day enough how amazing this man is!
Describe the protocols Randall Odem used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My situation was a bit different. I went to Dr. Odem only for Ashermans Syndrome. He worked around my schedule as I lived far away. He scheduled my surgery as soon as he could and helped arrange for care closer to home after the surgery.
Nursing staff was also amazing, caring, and listened.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Keller is very personable, knowledgeable and caring. She was very proactive in trying to find the reason Ikeep having miscarriages. Though no reason was discovered, I still have trust in her care and believe she is making the right decisions...She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo...But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.
For how large the practice [Washington University School of Medicine] is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in...nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
While Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable the fertility science is not absolute. She will work her hardest for the best results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
I came to Dr. Keller after multiple failed transfers with my previous Dr. She is not only very down to earth and tells you how it is in the sweetest way possible, she took the time to personally call me with test results and discuss my upcoming transfer.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I have only used Dr. Keller for FETs. She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo. My protocol was: Day 1(March 2nd) start of period- start 2mg estrace 3x daily March 15- uterine lining check March 17- start 1/2ml PIO and azithromiacin (today only) March 18- Medrol 2x daily for 5 days and up PIO to 1ml March 22- Embryo transfer and continue 1ml PIO and estrace 3x daily Beta is 12 days after transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Dr. Kellers nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
For how large the practice is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
My FET was $3,800. My saline ultrasound and all other blood was covered by my insurance.
Describe Sarah Keller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Keller prefers transferring 1 high quality embryo at a time. But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.
St. Louis - Central West End

We tried IUI first, using Menopur. We started out slow because she didn’t know how quickly my body was going to react. We ended up using menopur for 26 days & then did the IUI with the nurse. The IUI did not work, so we moved on to IVF. Her plan is to use Menopur again but at a faster rate. Around 10 days & then do the egg retrieval, we will be starting this process in a few weeks.
The clinic [Wash U] is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.... Melanie is awesome, very caring & helpful throughout the process. She kept you calm and hopeful.
She was very sweet & caring yet had the experience that we were looking for with my condition. We also liked how she remembered us and everything we have done so far and helped us develop a plan for what the next step was, the only thing I was upset about was that we were doing IUI & she had us not take the next round of menopur because she was afraid of multiples but in exchange the follicles were not big enough to actually successfully fertilize. The IUI did not work. Overall she is a great doctor & I would refer anyone to her services.
Speak up to your wishes, they try to get everyone to do genetic testing but that often adds on a lot of money. If you are not interested in it, just simply tell them that you are not doing it.
She cared for my case specifically for my needs, I’ve been to other clinics that made us feel like a number but with Jungheim we felt like she is doing what is best for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Melanie )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.
40 copay to see dr. 40 copay to see gen. Counseling Blood test billed $12000 ivf $500 for iui $4000-$5000 for menopur IUI/IVF $100 for trigger shot
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.

He [Dr. Kevin Omurtag] suggested we do multiple due to age and past records...He has great bedside manner. He spends all the time in the world with you, going through every possible scenario that you bring to his attention. Dr. Omurtag is young and I find that an advantage as he seems to keep up on the latest information going on in infertility... is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
The front desk staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too...For IUI, we did mainly clomid, then after three of those, went to a clomid with one u/s and trigger shot. Finally, went to an IUI with injectables and monitoring. For IVF, we did a short antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles with ovidrel trigger shots.
Dr. Omurtag is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
Feel comfortable asking questions and make suggestions. He's open to them all and will go through all possibilities with you.
Kathy is fantastic! She responds very quickly to messages and calls. She does rush a bit on the phone, but is very thorough on email. I feel like she cares and wants everyone to be successful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is pretty cold when you first get there. The front desk staff are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too.
He suggested we do multiple due to age and past records.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Omurtag] reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care [at Wash U]. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey.
Dr. Omurtag was professional yet completely approachable, and was able to explain things in ways that were simple to understand while still being comprehensive. He patiently answered all of my questions - even during my first appointment, when I had an entire list of questions written down. He reviewed all of my test results, and would write comments once he had done so that I could read them on the patient portal. He made the whole fertility treatment process seem as easy and natural as anything in the world, giving us realistic expectations of success while reassuring us that he would be there to support and guide us along every step of the way. I have never had a doctor in whom I had more confidence and trust.
Come with questions, so you know what you want to know - and then rest easy, knowing Dr. Omurtag will tell you everything else, the things you didn't think to ask.
While always professional on every level, I felt like Dr. Omurtag and his staff were incredibly approachable and supportive. If I emailed them with a question, I had an answer within hours. If I called, I always either spoke directly with someone or received a prompt call back. If there were any tests I could do locally (I live two hours away from St. Louis), they would let me - saving me that long trip. During my first appointment I came with a list of questions written down, and Dr. Omurtag patiently answered every single one, and never made me feel foolish for asking any of them - even if they were very basic. Honestly, I cannot say enough about the supportive and attentive care I received while a patient of Dr. Omurtag. His nurses Kathy and Mary, and his medical secretary Jessie, were also incredible! Truly, those women made me feel so well looked after.
He reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey. She is the kind of person who made you feel safe, like you could rest easy because you knew she would dot every I and cross every T to make sure that the administrative side of your care was attended to. Honestly, I cannot say enough about Dr. Omurtag's staff. I wish we didn't live so far away, so that they could be in charge of my care permanently.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everything I experienced with Dr. Omurtag, his staff, and the clinic as a whole was of top-notch quality. I honestly did not have a single complaint during my time as their patient (and they have assured me that even though I will be resuming full-time care with my local OBGYN, I am free to call them at any time if I have any questions or concerns - another testament to how wonderful of an office they are). The patient portal made communication with the staff a breeze, the appointments were always prompt and efficiently run, and we would not hesitate to go to them again if we needed help with getting pregnant again. Frankly, if it weren't for the drive, I would switch doctors in a heartbeat. I've never had a better doctor or staff, nor felt more comfortable or well looked after.
Besides copays, I did not have any extra costs associated with my care from Dr. Omurtag.
St. Louis - Central West End

You walk in [to WashU] and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
Kenan was warm and engaged. I remember my husband joking he was so young. In ways I liked that piece because I felt like I could relate to him as a human and someone our age who understands all the issues we are facing. He was always very reserved about being too excited or hopeful, but would say until the baby is out and in your arms. That could sound harsh, but I think that it was helpful to keep us in the moment and not attaching to an outcome. He also referred me to Dr. Odem when he felt my Asherman's was too extensive for him to do surgery on. I appreciated him acknowledging he has limits to his medical ability and wanted to support me in getting the best possible care.
Ask as many questions as you need to in order to understand things. He will answer them and it is okay to be reserved and not jump on his first recommendation. You are allowed to dictate your own steps of care.
Keenan was great, very warm, personable. He was honest and did not make promises and took his time with us. I never felt rushed or like he needed to get to someone else. He was always quick to respond, took all my anxieties and worries seriously and was never dismissive.
He first gave me progesterone to see if I could bleed, I then had a dye test of my tubes to make sure there was no blockage and my organs were in good standing. He paired my cycle after progesterone with Letrosole and I ovulated and was pregnant on my first time. He stated that if we tried that given I had 5 failed rounds of Chlomid, he was going to recommend IUI.
I remember them giving me detailed information, being very calm, organized and relaxed. They answered questions and responded quickly.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
You walk in and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
I am a university employee so my insurance covers my fees. It was never expensive or unreasonable. Sometimes medications were very expensive regardless. However I understand meds and IVF are very expensive. They are very understanding of the financial challenge and work to support individuals in getting feedback and support from billing.

Anovulation, PCOS, Other
He’s like a father figure, he’s direct but warm. He [Dr. Odem] is a straight shooter, has tons of experience and cares about your emotions. My best interest was always at hand. He did 5 rounds of high dose estrogen and 5 hysterscopies in 5 months. One each month. I never felt rushed, never felt like a number. He would sit with us until we understood everything.... So he was treating me for ashermans syndrome. He suggested hysterscopies to clear the scar tissue out.
Very nice large lobby. Front desk staff [WashU] Check you in quickly, warm, kind. The office rooms are clean, organized. Once you enter from the lobby they take you back to whatever the procedure is. They have the ability to do a lot in house. I believe some procedures are done at the hospital but the location is easy to get in and out of and very clean, easy to navigate.... He [Dr. Odem] tells you the facts but still comes hopeful and willing to go far. He will also sometimes keep going if you request it but has ethics
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
He’s like a father figure, he’s direct but warm. He is a straight shooter, has tons of experience and cares about your emotions. My best interest was always at hand. He did 5 rounds of high dose estrogen and 5 hysterscopies in 5 months. One each month. I never felt rushed, never felt like a number. He would sit with us until we understood everything. Outline what to expect our options. I even discussed transferring care to 2 different providers out of state and he was supportive but shares his opinion.
Ask as many questions as you need, be transparent, share all your thoughts. He’ll help you work it out.
You feel like he’s in it with you. He tells you the facts but still comes hopeful and willing to go far. He will also sometimes keep going if you request it but has ethics and will tell you when to stop. He’s called me after hours, answers all my questions and cares.
So he was treating me for ashermans syndrome. He suggested hysterscopies to clear the scar tissue out. I did 3 under general anesthesia and 2 awake. I preferred being awake I recovered quicker. He would have me do high doses of estrogen for about a month and then stop, start progesterone for a withdrawal bleed. Then we would repeat.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Very nice large lobby. Front desk staff Check you in quickly, warm, kind. The office rooms are clean, organized. Once you enter from the lobby they take you back to whatever the procedure is. They have the ability to do a lot in house. I believe some procedures are done at the hospital but the location is easy to get in and out of and very clean, easy to navigate.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine.
I work for wash u so my copays are half and washu just put fertility on the benefits package so we get 10,000 dollars towards fertility treatment but it’s out of pocket cost.
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine.

From the first moment we met with Dr. Jimenez she was so nervous and made us feel uncomfortable. ... She insisted on re-running tests and procedures that I had already had completed prior even though they requested all medical results be sent to them prior to the first consultation. It's like she didn't even read any of the information provided to her ahead of time. ... She has horrible bedside manner and communication skills.
... I would get some piece of information from the doctor and then the [Washinton U - CWE] nurse/secretary would give me another piece of information and I was always so confused. ... They don't have a patient portal for communication or flow charts. I honestly don't even know who all works in the clinic as I only met a nurse who did my bloodwork who was super nice and actually communicated with you and wanted to make you feel comfortable.
How was your experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
From the first moment we met with Dr. Jimenez she was so nervous and made us feel uncomfortable. My husband was made to stand up for the entire appointment as he was uncomfortable in the chair that had arms on it and not once did anyone offer to get him another chair. When we expressed that we wanted 2 embryos implanted via IVF she continued to tell us she would only do 1 as that one might split (despite it being a 30% chance that would happen) and continued to press the issue of having multiples would make for an at risk pregnancy. She provided us with success numbers from 2-3 years prior and no recent numbers were provided. She insisted on re-running tests and procedures that I had already had completed prior even though they requested all medical results be sent to them prior to the first consultation. It's like she didn't even read any of the information provided to her ahead of time. I went through with one procedure a sonohysterography and it was the most uncomfortable experience I have ever had. They "exam table" is a chair and they literally lean you all the back to where the blood is rushing to your head. While doing the procedure the doctor and the ultrasound tech stood there for 20 minutes debating if they saw something or not. The she proceeded to tell me I needed a hysterscopy and if I didn't do it she wouldn't proceed with IVF. I was literally given no choice in my medical care. When I expressed my concerns to the doctor it seemed like she didn't even care that we were not happy with her. She has horrible bedside manner and communication skills.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Don't see her. Ask to see someone else in the clinic as from what I've heard there are better doctors within the clinic than her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
It felt like are concerns were not being heard and when we expressed something we wanted we always got a response that was based on why they didn't want to do that.
Describe the protocols Patricia Jimenez used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I never got any protocols besides doing one test and some bloodwork as I discontinued seeing the doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
I only communicated with the nurse and secretary via the mychart app and a few times by phone. I would get some piece of information from the doctor and then the nurse/secretary would give me another piece of information and I was always so confused.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic was super far from my house. They do not send you the "green dot" parking pass you for their parking lot so you have to go up the clinic and back to your car so you don't get a ticket. They have a clinic closer to my house but nothing is done there and was never offered an appointment there. They don't have a patient portal for communication or flow charts. I honestly don't even know who all works in the clinic as I only met a nurse who did my bloodwork who was super nice and actually communicated with you and wanted to make you feel comfortable. The first appointment the front desk person was super nice and helpful and the second appointment the front desk person was older and slow and didn't acknowledge anyone for several minutes of them standing there waiting. There was always another lady on a computer playing music on her personal phone and talking on her personal phone and have no clue what her job was or way she was customer facing.
Describe Patricia Jimenez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
The doctor did not listen when we advised we wanted multiple embryos transferred and is only willing to do single embryo transfers. Don't waste your time unless you only want a single embryo transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
The doctor stated I have fibrous tissue and when her nurse called she advised I had something totally different.
Patricia Jimenez
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.

Dr. Jimenez and her staff has made us feel comfortable and are so attentive. They treat you like family! They are always accessible and are there for you! I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate her staff! They go above and beyond for their patients and their dream for a family!!... She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night.
The entire clinic staff [Washington University] is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!... Given we had no fertility coverage, we were always made aware of the out of pocket costs for everything. There was never any cost surprises. They made sure we had and knew all our options in regards to the cost and financing.
She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night. She worked with us as far as timing for our IUIs. We drove 2 hrs to see her. She always made us feel more like family instead of a patient!!
Definitely be prepared to hear a lot of information. She covers everything and is very thorough! Take paper with you to jot down notes if you’d like.
They are all amazing!! Very attentive! They treated us like family! They went above and beyond!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The entire clinic staff is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.
I’m 38 and she was comfortable with a 2 embryo transfer. It was more up to me to decide after considering risks and benefits.
Patricia Jimenez

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable and an expert in her field. I've never felt she has pushed us into spending more money than we absolutely have to.... She never rushes us out of the office and takes the time to answer all questions thoroughly. She often seems flustered or nervous... In 2016 I did 3 clomid IUIs without trigger shot.... I was disappointed that no Ultrasound or hCG blood levels were obtained during any of the cycles.
The volume of patients and staff allows them [Washington U School of Medicine] to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge.... Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients.... The line to check in can get long some days but once checked in blood draws and Ultrasounds are done quickly.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable and an expert in her field. I've never felt she has pushed us into spending more money than we absolutely have to. She has not recommended PGS testing for our second IVF cycle, citing that it does not improve birth rates. She never rushes us out of the office and takes the time to answer all questions thoroughly. She often seems flustered or nervous and for that reason I would recommend other doctors in this practice over her.
Do your research. Ask questions. Tell her what's bothering you. Trust her plan of care.
The staff and Dr. Keller all seem invested in a positive outcome for us. When I came in with suspected miscarriage everyone was very somber and supportive. It seemed like they were disappointed along with us.
In 2016 I did 3 clomid IUIs without trigger shot. None were successful and I was disappointed that no Ultrasound or hCG blood levels were obtained during any of the cycles. I didn't see Dr. Keller at all during this time and really felt like nobody cared if they were successful or not. Cycle 1 IVF was better. I do not have ovulatory dysfunction so Keller recommend an agonist protocol for my first IVF cycle. In retrospect I responded quickly to the medications, maybe too quickly because we got 10 eggs and only 2 5-day embryos. Our fresh transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy and our FET resulted in a miscarriage at 7 weeks. Dr. Keller said that a quick stimulation can result in poorer egg quality. For cycle two she is doing a long antagonist which will hopefully allow slower development of my follicles and give better egg quality.
Amy is very knowledgeable and professional. She is prompt to call with results and communicates effectively with Dr. Keller and her patients. She's not particularly friendly but I trust her.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
In my opinion this is the only place to go for fertility treatment in the St. Louis area. The volume of patients and staff allows them to be open every day of the week so you never have to delay your IUI until the Monday after your Friday surge. They also have their own embryology lab and the ability to do your egg retrieval on Sundays if that's when your follicles are ready. Once a week all of the doctors in the practice meet to discuss all of their patients. This means you don't have just one doctor, you have six physicians collaborating on YOUR plan. Also they have the entire Barnes Jewish Hospital complex and doctors at their disposal. This means that for example if you have endometriosis that requires surgery, they can refer you to someone in their system who can perform your surgery. Because they share that same computer systems, all the physicians are on the same page about your care. Weaknesses include: lack of privacy when checking in; the woman checking me in always asks if I want to pay my bill before I've ever received a bill in the mail; the Ultrasound techs are not friendly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
I think IUIs were around $350 each plus the copay for Clomid. For one egg retrieval/IVF with ICSI, a frozen transfer and fresh transfer we paid almost $13k and my insurance covered $4k.
Dr. Keller was open to both single and double embryo transfer for us. We elected single transfer to avoid a twin or triplet pregnancy.
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.

You will not see her [Dr. Valerie Ratts] for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.... My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left.
Costs for IVF [at Wash U] range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
I love have Dr. Rattes for a doctor. I wish a cycle would have worked, but she continues to look for ways to adjust the cycle. She is a caring human being would will have the difficult conversations when needed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
You will not see her for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts will personally call you following a failed cycle after the team has met. She will answer any questions you have and discuss the next treatment options. Also, during treatment or consultation if my husband and I had questions while we were in the office, she would sit down to help answer them even if our time was over.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left. Cycle was much easier. Took estradiol before and then progesterone after transfer. The cycle also failed. I did a second retrieval, 3rd transfer (2nd fresh). Cycle was much like the First only the stemmed harder to try for more eggs. More eggs were immature and didn’t get to be fertilized. 2 embryos transferred on fresh cycle day 3. Failed. No embryos survived to 5 days.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Anytime I had any questions at all, I could call and I would hear back with them. They worked with me to figure out if I needed to order extra meds the closer I got to retrieval/transfer so that I didn’t waste a ton of money (it always fell at a weekend). She was great all around. Very helpful and calmed my nerves many times.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
During cycle, you could see any doctor depending who is on rotation. They work together and they work around the patients cycle, not a M-F schedule. For appointments to check lining, eggs, and blood, appts would take maybe 5-10 min. It took me longer to drive there than to actually have an appt. I was always able to go back to work so I wasn’t loosing all my sick days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
Costs for IVF range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
Valerie Ratts
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Omurtag was very aware of how difficult this process was and was always willing to work with my husband and me to find a treatment plan that worked for us. He listened to our concerns and made us feel good about moving forward. He was also very helpful in explaining our treatment.... Dr. Omurtag is a very helpful and compassionate doctor. He helped us navigate through a very frustrating and disappointing time in our life, which ended up resulting in the birth of our son. He was very informative and straightforward, but also listened to our concerns and reservations. I can’t recommend Dr. Omurtag and his staff enough!!
[Wash U is] Very organized, friendly, and helpful. Great and making sure you are informed and always willing to answer your questions. I never had to wait too long for appointments either. It was very easy to get ahold of my nurse or doctor.... Cathy was always very helpful and informative. She did the one IUI I had with Wash U. She was great about answering all of my questions.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Trust the process and try to be patient. Also, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask questions.
First we tried a medicated cycle with injections and an IUI. I over responded to the injections and had to wait 2 months for my ovaries to go down. Didn’t get to the IUI that time. We tried again, this time with less dosage and an IUI, by resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After that, we were ready to move forward with IVF. I used injections for 4-5 days (Gonal F, Menopur, and Lupron). My egg retrieval resulted in 32 eggs, 19 were mature, and we decided, as a personal decision to only fertilize 10. We did a fresh transfer with one of our day 5 embryos and ended up freezing the remaining four embryos we had for future use.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Insurance covered our IVF treatment so I’m not sure. Medications cost us $3,000 out of pocket, and we had to put $600 (if I remember correctly) down to be financially clear.

IVF, Surrogacy
Endometriosis, Other
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller.... The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands.... she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients.... The nursing staff and the care coordinator have been wonderful so far in our journey through IVF. My husband and I tend to have many questions because we are both nurses. They call back in a timely manner and always seem to find the answers if they don't have them for us right away.
IVF, Surrogacy
Endometriosis, Other
Being a nurse, I have learned about effective communication. Having effective communication with physicians is always key to experience excellent care. After my husband and I miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks, I learned to be an advocate for my care even more. I did not have complications after my D&C surgery after miscarriage. I however was diagnosed with an uterine arterial venous malformation which is very rare. I was under my general OBGYN at the time I was diagnosed and Dr. Keller which is my infertility specialist. Many doctors were consulted to see if they had an idea of how to treat the AVM in my uterus. A month or so after my diagnosis, I was told it would not be in my best interest to carry children for my safety and health. Dr. Keller was my main physician who helped me through my time of this diagnosis. She understood how hard this time was because we have never had any children and I was only 26 years old at the time. Every time I was seen by her, I felt as if she was fighting for answers for my husband and I, seeing everything in our best interest. Time went by and I ended up hemorrhaging, which is a complication of the uterine AVM, and admitted to the hospital multiple times in a months span. While the bleeding would start and stop, the doctors were trying to figure out how to save my fertility without doing anything to drastic. After failed attempts to do so, I ultimately had to make the decision to get a hysterectomy for my health and safety. Dr. Keller was always there, one call away, to answer all my questions and concerns. I wanted to make sure that this was the best decision for myself and that there weren't any other options available. I trusted her decision, as did my husband. Now, fast forward to a little over a year later, and were are about to do an IVF cycle to ultimately have a surrogate carry our baby. After a couple of months of trying to heal mentally and physically, my husband and I are ready for our next steps into starting our family. The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands. She always asks how I am doing when I meet with her, how I am healing, and just how I feel overall. My experiences that I have gone through in the past year and half are something I never expected. I never dreamt of not being able to carry our children. It sure does make it easier having Dr. Keller sincerely care about my husband and I and our ultimate goal which is to start our family. There is nothing bad I could say about Dr. Keller!
That she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you. She will always listen and respect your decisions. Effective communication!
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller. After going through some testing for infertility, we became pregnant on our own. We miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks. I was then diagnosed with an AVM in my uterus and ended up hemorrhaging a month after my miscarriage. I was in and out of the hospital with complications and trying to figure out how to save my fertility with my new diagnosis. I was always in contact with Dr. Keller and trusted her input on everything regarding our decisions. Ultimately, a hysterectomy had to happen for my safety and health. At age 26, with no children, it was and for ever will be the hardest decision of my life. Dr. Keller was there for my husband and I during that time and is now guiding us through IVF to do egg retrieval to have a surrogate. I am forever thankful for her care!
I am about 3 weeks away from our very first round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Susan )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients. They do egg retrievals 7 days a week, and they don't clump everyone into cycles together. They are able to work with each patient one on one.
I will know a more detailed cost estimate soon. Since we are just beginning our first IVF cycle, I am not sure of the overall costs. I estimate it being close to $20,000.
Dr. Keller has discussed her approach to both because of us needing to use a surrogate since I cannot carry. The decision mainly depends on the surrogate and what they agree too, but she does mention it is best to not do a multiple embryo transfer for surrogate to carry. It costs more and many more risks involve is my understanding.

1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr. Keller] was prepared at meetings and worked with us, our expectations and personally reviewed our outcomes....She was open to sugggestions of next steps in treatment and was very knowledgeable in statistics of different procedures like scratch test, assisted hatching, ICSI, etc and she explained procedures and set up expectations for us...the weakness- because of her compassion I think she was less direct than we needed about my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic [Wash U] but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond...I can’t enough about the nursing staff at the clinic. They really kept me going and we there for me when I cried. I loved the nursing staff at the clinic. They knew me by name and were extremely compassionate and excited for us in every cycle.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Strengths- she knew our history and us as people. She was open to sugggestions of next steps in treatment and was very knowledgeable in statistics of different procedures like scratch test, assisted hatching, ICSI, etc and she explained procedures and set up expectations for us. She truly cared about us as a couple. She even talked us through next steps on another cycle right after her father passed away. She is selfless. The weakness- because of her compassion I think she was less direct than we needed about my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve. She expressed the panel of docs at clinic would advocate for donor eggs but said we could continue to try. In hindsight I feel it would have been better to be more blunt about our chances with own eggs so we could have moved forward with donor eggs sooner. Overall, I think we had to come to that acceptance before anything. I’m glad she introduced the topic to us and moved ahead with lightening speed thereafter
Be proactive and know what you want. She will be there to support your treatment plan and advocate for you.
Because she knew me and my husband as people and our history. She was prepared at meetings and worked with us, our expectations and personally reviewed our outcomes. She cared about me with every negative pregnancy test that happened. She helped us do clinic cycles in between IVF cycles to increase our chances.
With DOR- we tried femara cycle day 5-9 plus follistim but had to convert to IUI. We did 2 antagonist cycles with gonal-f (225) and menopur (225) with one cycle doing an estrogen prime. Last cycle we did estrogen prime plus micro dose Lupron flare anatagonist
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond
We had help with insurance. The largest out of pocket cost was donor reimbursement fees which were $5000 plus adminustrative costs which were $3000
She showed us her statistics at the clinic and discussed risks, benefits and chances with eSET & multiple transfers but left the decision up to us ultimately
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need...She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation....A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team....
They (Wash U- CWE) were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something....The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves....It was efficient and I loved that they were first thing in the morning so I could still make it to work on time.
Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need considering I had been through so much before going to this specific clinic.
Know that you work with all doctors and not with just the one you see the first time. A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team. She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation.
The doctors and nurses were always wonderful. The front desk staff was unfriendly and very unwelcoming. They never even greeted you with a "Good Morning" to ease your anxiety.
I was on the long agonist protocol. I started Dec. 24 with my first shot and triggered Jan. 14. I started taking all 3 shots by Dec. 31 I believe. I felt bloated at times and had one headache, but overall I wasn't miserable. I am currently in the TWW so I don't have results.
They were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something. They even handled my one complaint with instructions for the POU shot well and were interested in what I found helpful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves. The introduction session was amazing and very informative!
$325 just for the initial appointment consultation. $130 for the trial embryo transfer.... Those are the only two bills I remember the amounts of.
I felt rushed in this decision. We were thinking initially that it would be a single embryo, and when I went in for my egg retrieval and saw a different doctor, he said he was worried there is a cause other than my endometriosis and would recommend ICSI just to increase our chances of being successful this first round. At transfer and showed me two embryos and said the 3 wasn't looking good and probably wouldn't freeze. He said of the two was was a really good 7 cell and the other was a 6 cell but it appeared the cells were starting to merge so he wasn't as sure of it. Using the amendment logic he had with retrieval, and not wanting to live with regrets, we went with 2.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
One morning the front desk told me I didn't have an appointment when I knew I did. I waited for almost an hour before the realizes it somehow got placed under my maiden name... I've been married 5 years and never went to this clinic under my maiden name.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Omurtag] was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.... He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
The ladies at the front desk [Washington University School of Medicine] during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.... Kathy and Jessie both were always available, they would call back within a reasonable amount of time (same day, usually a few hours), answered questions, talked with you, treated you professionally but as a human.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.
Ask questions. and be aware that he may not be the doctor to do your procedures, that’s important to know, but all the doctors in the practice are great.
He took the time during each appointment to explain the process and answer questions. He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
We did IVF. I started meds to “quiet” my ovaries which worked great. Then we started Stims at low doses and increased. I was not responding well enough at first and we talked about canceling the cycle and starting over with another protocol. I was able to come in an extra time for monitoring and finally started responding. Dr. Omurtag called me himself to talk about it since he knew they “scared” me with talk of canceling. Once we were where we needed to be we did egg retrieval and got 8 eggs, which was exactly what I expected per the last monitoring appointment we had. We ended up with 6 embryos. We went in for a day 5 fresh transfer and found out we had two picture perfect embryos but the others did not meet the criteria to freeze. We transferred one embryo and froze the other. Our fresh transfer did not work. We waited one cycle and jumped in to our frozen cycle. The one frozen embryo we had stuck like a champ and our IVF miracle baby was born January 2018. We are very happy with our results. :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The ladies at the front desk during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.
Fresh transfer was in the $11,000’s. I cannot remember the exact number right now. Medication was anywhere between $3-5k.
We had two “perfect” embryos. I wanted to transfer both but the doctor suggested only doing one. She said they don’t offer only doing one to everyone but that I was young, healthy and the embryo was “perfect.” I cried but agreed to only transfer one. I know it doesn’t always go how we want it to but I am glad I only did the one. I still had one frozen after the fresh transfer didn’t work. I would have been very upset and frustrated if we had walked away with nothing.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
After each monitoring appointment you are supposed to get a phone call with the results and medication adjustments. After my first monitoring appointment I never got a phone call so wasn’t sure what to do medication wise that night. As a new patient and it was my first monitoring I didn’t want to be annoying and call so I waited. Eventually the office closed and I had to call the after hours exchange and talk to a doctor to find out what I needed to do. That was the only “problem” I ever had. It would deter me from this clinic unless it happened several times. Once is just an honest mistake.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Keller has called me personally on various occasions to discuss my "game plan." She also went to a conference and while there she said she went to some speakers on my condition. This gave her new ideas for my next protocol...Dr. Keller is very candid which I appreciate. She gets right to the point. She doesn't sugar coat. I feel that she absolutely has my best interests at heart. I know she has a lot of other patients but I don’t really feel like “just a number” to her. I wish I could see Dr. Keller at every procedure but Washington University rotates doctors doing procedure.
I like that the clinic [WA U] has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first)....My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Keller is very candid which I appreciate. She gets right to the point. She doesn't sugar coat. I feel that she absolutely has my best interests at heart. I know she has a lot of other patients but I don’t really feel like “just a number” to her. I wish I could see Dr. Keller at every procedure but Washington University rotates doctors doing procedure. However, I think there are many pros to this system. I have had egg retrievals and transfers on holidays, weekends, even Sunday. I appreciate that they have a large group of doctors for this reason. And they meet every week to discuss cases and bounce ideas off of each other.
I would just warn them that they might feel overwhelmed at first or feel like “just a number” but Dr. Keller really cares.
Dr. K switched my to an antagonist for my second retrieval. Therefore I could do a Lupron trigger since the first egg retrieval resulted in mild OHSS. Antagonist with the Lupron trigger was soooo much easier on my body. She also suggested freezing my embryos at 2PN (right after fertilization) rather than grow them to blast and then freeze. I didn’t have luck getting embryos to blast stage during the first IVF. So this way I can still do a frozen transfer (let my body calm down for a couple months) and still have the option of a 3 day transfer if necessary.
My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly. I really appreciate that. There have been a few times when the response comes late in the day and I would worry but I always heard from her! The procedure area nurses are amazing. They are so sweet. I have not met one that I don’t like!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I like that the clinic has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first).
For my first cycle (monitoring, retrieval, and transfer), insurance was billed $21,000. This was MORE than I was originally told. Meds were $3,800. Luckily I have fairly good insurance. For my second cycle (monitoring and retrieval - no transfer yet), insurance has been billed $17,862. Meds were about the same.
I've done one transfer so far. We transferred 2 embryos at her suggestion. This was because it was day 5 and they were not quite blasts yet so she thought 2 would be better than 1.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Omurtag] even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor...We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her...My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Extremely patient, Kind and compassionate. He even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor.
Know that the techs and nurses might not have the best bedside manner or be super kind to you-BUT Dr. Omurtag is the one in charge of your treatment and each step along the way.
Most Importantly-When with Omertag I always felt like a human and was treated with kindness and respect. He always takes the time to explain any question and never rushes you. The Nurses and Tech are not so much. The bedside manner while receiving a vaginal ultrasound was kind of horrible. I was told I had many fibroids but was given no explanation of what type or what this meant for me. When I asked her for just a bit of explanation or if I could speak with a nurse I was shown the door. Like she actually said" the exit it right down the hall. So I left the office very confused and has to wait 24 hours for any explanation as to what this meant for me and my partners treatment.
After 3 failed IUI at another clinic-We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her. With that said she is always prompt on calling us back gets the job done. If this was not such a painful, hard and expensive time in our lives we would be ok with this- but it's such a sensitive time that even a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omertang and his fellow Fertiltiy Doctors are the best in Saint Louis. We have many friends that have used them with success. My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy. The being said they get the job done and this is the only clinic we want to be at for our upcoming egg retrieval and transfer.
At this point, we have spent around $4,500.00. For three IUI's, medication, ultrasounds, medication, (2) meetings with Omertag and Sperm.

Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr. Sarah Keller] was very attentive and courteous and genuinely concerned about my success and my over all well being...She takes into consideration the whole picture when coming up with a plan. She went over both mine and my husbands issues. She made sure you understood before you left her office. She gave options instead of trying to dictate every move. She is highly recommended.
They [nurses at Washington University School of Medicine] are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive...IUI 383 per cycle...I am very pleased with the care they provide. I came here to get a second opinion and I am so glad I did. They are very compassionate and knowledgeable. They take all things into consideration when planning your course of treatment.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr Keller is exceptional. She is very compassionate and thorough. She takes into consideration the whole picture when coming up with a plan. She went over both mine and my husbands issues. She made sure you understood before you left her office. She gave options instead of trying to dictate every move. She is highly recommended.
Go see her sooner than you think you should. You will not be disappointed in her care.
She was very attentive and courteous and genuinely concerned about my success and my over all well being.
I had previously had two egg retrievals at a different place with poor results. I went to Dr Keller for a second opinion. My diagnosis was basically unexplained infertility. She gave me the option to try less expensive treatments with IUI plus clinic first because I have a strong family history of breast cancer and the less hormones the better for me. She said sometimes if it is an issues with egg quality the less you mess with the eggs the better off you are. IUI plus Clomid resulted in a pregnancy the 3rd try, however it was an ectopic pregnancy. After 3 more attempts she recommended IVF which we are currently planning to do soon. The last IUI I took Femara instead of Clomid she wanted to see if it might work better for me.
They are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.
IUI 383 per cycle.
She has recommended two embryos (maximum) transfer when the time comes if possible.

Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr Odem is amazing at his profession. He is not only very professional, but he is also very kindhearted and gentle spirited. You can tell he genuinely cares for his patients. During a very difficult time, he made us feel as if we were his only patients. He took the time to explain things to us, and we never felt rushed. We appreciated his caring heart during a very hard time.... One specific visit was very very difficult for us, when we experienced an ectopic pregnancy. He was very calm and caring, and he was gentle and gave us plenty of time to grieve and then decide what our next step was.
Laura is Dr. Odem's coordinator or receptionist: she is amazing and always gets back to me in a timely manner. I always received a call back in the same day, and never had to wait more than an hour or a few hours. Crystal is one of his nurses: she is always smiling and caring. She always explains what she is doing before she does it, and is super encouraging.... My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Odem is an amazing person and a wonderful physician. I honestly don't have any weakness or negatives to say regarding Dr. Odem. I have many positive things to say in our time spend at the clinic with Dr Odem. From our visit, we could tell that he loves what he does, and he truly wants the best outcome for his patients. One specific visit was very very difficult for us, when we experienced an ectopic pregnancy. He was very calm and caring, and he was gentle and gave us plenty of time to grieve and then decide what our next step was. I cannot explain how much that meant to us during a very hard time. He took excellent care of us, and that was just very encouraging.
Ask lots of questions.
The first cycle we just used Clomid with no success. The 2nd cycle we used Clomid and IUI together, and we did have success with a pregnancy. At 6 weeks, it failed with an ectopic pregnancy. The next 4 cycles we did Clomid and IUI with no success. Our last visit consisted of an IVF discussion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal nurse, Laura coordinator)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk worker Alicia is always happy to see you and get you signed in. She is always smiling and super comforting. My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
Office visits with Dr Odem himself costed anywhere from $130-250. IUI ranged $100-$300. I had to have surgery at Barnes for ectopic pregnancy which was around $15,000.
Describe Randall Odem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
We did feel sufficiently educated on the IVF process. He strongly recommended a single embryo transfer in our case. He did explain why he recommended a single transfer versus multiple--examples: higher risk pregnancy, higher risk of premature births and higher risk of losing a pregnancy.

2012 - 2017
She [Dr. Sarah Keller] is concise, but explained my conditions in full detail, even provided drawings if that helped us understand why some things did/did not work. She always walks us through each procedure at least once, if not twice. She is thorough in understanding my body and our treatment. We are returning patients and she loves to hear about our son, who was conceived with her help. The first round we had some miscommunication that caused some confusion, but it was easily fixed and she made sure it did not happen again.
The only problem is reaching a person when we call [Washington University]. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again... The initial visit took place at a different location than the rest of the appointments, treatments, and procedures which did not make much sense to me. Other than that, the facilities were welcoming and easy to navigate.
2012 - 2017
She is concise, but explained my conditions in full detail, even provided drawings if that helped us understand why some things did/did not work. She always walks us through each procedure at least once, if not twice. She is thorough in understanding my body and our treatment. We are returning patients and she loves to hear about our son, who was conceived with her help. The first round we had some miscommunication that caused some confusion, but it was easily fixed and she made sure it did not happen again.
She will cover everything and she is very knowledgable in her field. If it doesn't make sense at first, ask questions and she will be happy to explain and help in any way she can.
Doctor Keller and her staff always treat us kindly. They are pleasant and personable. Our concerns/questions are addressed and discussed in a clear manner. Instructions are clear, given verbally and written. The only problem is reaching a person when we call. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again.
Because of my diagnosis we went straight to IVF treatments. I had other procedures, but do not recall exact names or reasons. I received hormones orally and injected. She adjusted my thyroid medicine as my blood work results were obtained. I had a fresh transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and frozen transfer which resulted in a live birth. Because of my previous results, she is following the same course of treatment this round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Susan)
Everyone is compassionate and caring. They take the time to get to know you as a person and a patient. They are encouraging and never talk down to you if you have questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I am unsure about total clinic costs. Copays are $40 and my insurance has always covered 80% of expenses. I know the medication cost about $1,500.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
We received conflicting information from the doctor and nursing staff which caused confusion and was upsetting at the time in the procedure. We've also expected results by a certain time, but had to call requesting the information.

IUI, 1 IVF
Dr Omurtag is a compassionate, trustworthy doctor. I now consider him a friend. He has been there for my fiancé and I through this tough experience and has not let us feel as though we are "alone on an island" once, just like he promised in the beginning! We ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to have two doses of methotrexate, this all occurred over the holidays. You could feel the compassion when in his office and see the pain he had for us in his eyes. I could likely go elsewhere for less money but he is worth every extra penny, even if we didn't get to our end result just yet!
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA [at Washington University] were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!... The lab techs are fabulous at drawing and always super friendly. The ultrasound techs are equally as good! Always happy and they explain every little moment to you so there are no surprises!
IUI, 1 IVF
Go to your first meeting with your questions and with your past experiences and information! He will help guide you the rest of the way!
Dr Omurtag and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel special and most importantly, comfortable! Multiple times he has gone out of his way to ease my husbands and I's minds whether it was a check in call, researching to find an answer to our question or simply a hug!
Our first round was a long agonist with gonal-f protocol. The lupron that was used gave me terrible headaches and some stiffness in my neck but overall I did great with the protocol. We ended up transferring two healthy embryos and we had an ectopic pregnancy. We just now started an antagonist with OCPs protocol for round 2. He chose this so he can be more aggressive with the stimulation and therefore have more embryos hopefully to choose from in the end.
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It was close to $18,00 including meds. Our insurance didn't cover a penny so we were out of pocket patients.
The doctors in this practice choose based on the embryos and their development. Their goal is for you to have one healthy and happy baby...they come with their reasoning on how many they feel you should transfer and together you make a decision.

2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Cooper is the most compassionate and empathetic physician I have ever had. Her knowledge and expertise on infertility related disease states are well shown through the research and studies she partakes in within the reproductive/endocrinology field. She treats each patient like a person and not as a statistic that will increase/decrease her facilities success rates. She never rushes you and thoroughly answers all questions during all phone and in person interactions.
I love the feel of this clinic [Centers for Reproductive Medicine and Wellness], it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
2013 - 2017
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
Make an in person consultation ASAP to see for yourself what a wonderful physician she is. You will leave feeling loved, cared about, and that your best interest is her number one priority.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
She made me feel like she truest wanted the best outcomes for me and despite my hormone levels was still willing to work with me if treatment is what I wanted to persue
Describe the protocols Amber Cooper used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with premature ovarian insiffiency, I wanted to know that I tried everything I could before opting for donor eggs. I tried high doses of gonadotropins such as follistim and menopur, but still did not produce follicles of sufficient size to proceed to a trigger and a retrieval. I tried this 2 different times, both times with the same results. I am currently in the process of persueing donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Brantley )
Andrea was great in communicating with me the plan Dr. Copper wanted me to take or to provide me lab/ultrasound results. She was just as compassionate and empathetic as Dr. Cooper.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I love the feel of this clinic, it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine.
After my deductible is met, insurance picks up a majority of my visit cost. Prior to my deductible being met, a consultation was around $250, all of which was being applied to my deductible.
Amber Cooper
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine.