4444 Forest Park Avenue
314-286-2400
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400

Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need...She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation....A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team....
They (Wash U- CWE) were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something....The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves....It was efficient and I loved that they were first thing in the morning so I could still make it to work on time.
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Jungheim was very friendly and explained everything to me in terms I could understand. She even drew pictures to explain various steps. Before meeting with her, she reviewed my file very thoroughly and didn't offer any procedure she didn't think I would need considering I had been through so much before going to this specific clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Know that you work with all doctors and not with just the one you see the first time. A different doctor did my retrieval and transfer because they work as a team. She is very understanding and will answer any of your questions without reservation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
The doctors and nurses were always wonderful. The front desk staff was unfriendly and very unwelcoming. They never even greeted you with a "Good Morning" to ease your anxiety.
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I was on the long agonist protocol. I started Dec. 24 with my first shot and triggered Jan. 14. I started taking all 3 shots by Dec. 31 I believe. I felt bloated at times and had one headache, but overall I wasn't miserable. I am currently in the TWW so I don't have results.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
They were very understanding, great listeners, could compassionate, understanding, and informative. I never felt that I couldn't ask them something. They even handled my one complaint with instructions for the POU shot well and were interested in what I found helpful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The only weakness is the front desk staff. Although they are timely, they are just very cold. Once you get past the waiting area it becomes a great experience and everyone calms your nerves. The introduction session was amazing and very informative!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
$325 just for the initial appointment consultation. $130 for the trial embryo transfer.... Those are the only two bills I remember the amounts of.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
I felt rushed in this decision. We were thinking initially that it would be a single embryo, and when I went in for my egg retrieval and saw a different doctor, he said he was worried there is a cause other than my endometriosis and would recommend ICSI just to increase our chances of being successful this first round. At transfer and showed me two embryos and said the 3 wasn't looking good and probably wouldn't freeze. He said of the two was was a really good 7 cell and the other was a 6 cell but it appeared the cells were starting to merge so he wasn't as sure of it. Using the amendment logic he had with retrieval, and not wanting to live with regrets, we went with 2.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
One morning the front desk told me I didn't have an appointment when I knew I did. I waited for almost an hour before the realizes it somehow got placed under my maiden name... I've been married 5 years and never went to this clinic under my maiden name.
St. Louis - Central West End
She [Dr. Keller] was prepared at meetings and worked with us, our expectations and personally reviewed our outcomes....She was open to sugggestions of next steps in treatment and was very knowledgeable in statistics of different procedures like scratch test, assisted hatching, ICSI, etc and she explained procedures and set up expectations for us...the weakness- because of her compassion I think she was less direct than we needed about my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic [Wash U] but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond...I can’t enough about the nursing staff at the clinic. They really kept me going and we there for me when I cried. I loved the nursing staff at the clinic. They knew me by name and were extremely compassionate and excited for us in every cycle.
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Strengths- she knew our history and us as people. She was open to sugggestions of next steps in treatment and was very knowledgeable in statistics of different procedures like scratch test, assisted hatching, ICSI, etc and she explained procedures and set up expectations for us. She truly cared about us as a couple. She even talked us through next steps on another cycle right after her father passed away. She is selfless. The weakness- because of her compassion I think she was less direct than we needed about my diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve. She expressed the panel of docs at clinic would advocate for donor eggs but said we could continue to try. In hindsight I feel it would have been better to be more blunt about our chances with own eggs so we could have moved forward with donor eggs sooner. Overall, I think we had to come to that acceptance before anything. I’m glad she introduced the topic to us and moved ahead with lightening speed thereafter
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Be proactive and know what you want. She will be there to support your treatment plan and advocate for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Because she knew me and my husband as people and our history. She was prepared at meetings and worked with us, our expectations and personally reviewed our outcomes. She cared about me with every negative pregnancy test that happened. She helped us do clinic cycles in between IVF cycles to increase our chances.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
With DOR- we tried femara cycle day 5-9 plus follistim but had to convert to IUI. We did 2 antagonist cycles with gonal-f (225) and menopur (225) with one cycle doing an estrogen prime. Last cycle we did estrogen prime plus micro dose Lupron flare anatagonist
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There are a lot of patients at this clinic but you wouldn’t know it. I don’t know how they remain so personable with so many people in and out the door. We use a patient portal system and everyone is always quick to respond
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
We had help with insurance. The largest out of pocket cost was donor reimbursement fees which were $5000 plus adminustrative costs which were $3000
Describe Sarah Keller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
She showed us her statistics at the clinic and discussed risks, benefits and chances with eSET & multiple transfers but left the decision up to us ultimately
St. Louis - Central West End
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller.... The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands.... she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients.... The nursing staff and the care coordinator have been wonderful so far in our journey through IVF. My husband and I tend to have many questions because we are both nurses. They call back in a timely manner and always seem to find the answers if they don't have them for us right away.
Being a nurse, I have learned about effective communication. Having effective communication with physicians is always key to experience excellent care. After my husband and I miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks, I learned to be an advocate for my care even more. I did not have complications after my D&C surgery after miscarriage. I however was diagnosed with an uterine arterial venous malformation which is very rare. I was under my general OBGYN at the time I was diagnosed and Dr. Keller which is my infertility specialist. Many doctors were consulted to see if they had an idea of how to treat the AVM in my uterus. A month or so after my diagnosis, I was told it would not be in my best interest to carry children for my safety and health. Dr. Keller was my main physician who helped me through my time of this diagnosis. She understood how hard this time was because we have never had any children and I was only 26 years old at the time. Every time I was seen by her, I felt as if she was fighting for answers for my husband and I, seeing everything in our best interest. Time went by and I ended up hemorrhaging, which is a complication of the uterine AVM, and admitted to the hospital multiple times in a months span. While the bleeding would start and stop, the doctors were trying to figure out how to save my fertility without doing anything to drastic. After failed attempts to do so, I ultimately had to make the decision to get a hysterectomy for my health and safety. Dr. Keller was always there, one call away, to answer all my questions and concerns. I wanted to make sure that this was the best decision for myself and that there weren't any other options available. I trusted her decision, as did my husband. Now, fast forward to a little over a year later, and were are about to do an IVF cycle to ultimately have a surrogate carry our baby. After a couple of months of trying to heal mentally and physically, my husband and I are ready for our next steps into starting our family. The first appointment we had with Dr. Keller to meet to chat about IVF was one I will never forget. After sitting with her, discussing all that is involved with IVF, Dr. Keller looked at us and said, "I want you to get your baby! That is my goal here!". It made me feel as if I wasn't alone and I felt as if my husband and I are in the best hands. She always asks how I am doing when I meet with her, how I am healing, and just how I feel overall. My experiences that I have gone through in the past year and half are something I never expected. I never dreamt of not being able to carry our children. It sure does make it easier having Dr. Keller sincerely care about my husband and I and our ultimate goal which is to start our family. There is nothing bad I could say about Dr. Keller!
That she is trustworthy and will fight for the best care for you. She will always listen and respect your decisions. Effective communication!
I have always felt like a human under the care of Dr. Keller. After going through some testing for infertility, we became pregnant on our own. We miscarried our baby boy at 17 weeks. I was then diagnosed with an AVM in my uterus and ended up hemorrhaging a month after my miscarriage. I was in and out of the hospital with complications and trying to figure out how to save my fertility with my new diagnosis. I was always in contact with Dr. Keller and trusted her input on everything regarding our decisions. Ultimately, a hysterectomy had to happen for my safety and health. At age 26, with no children, it was and for ever will be the hardest decision of my life. Dr. Keller was there for my husband and I during that time and is now guiding us through IVF to do egg retrieval to have a surrogate. I am forever thankful for her care!
I am about 3 weeks away from our very first round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Susan )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Center is well known and the doctors there have the best communication with their patients. They do egg retrievals 7 days a week, and they don't clump everyone into cycles together. They are able to work with each patient one on one.
I will know a more detailed cost estimate soon. Since we are just beginning our first IVF cycle, I am not sure of the overall costs. I estimate it being close to $20,000.
Dr. Keller has discussed her approach to both because of us needing to use a surrogate since I cannot carry. The decision mainly depends on the surrogate and what they agree too, but she does mention it is best to not do a multiple embryo transfer for surrogate to carry. It costs more and many more risks involve is my understanding.
St. Louis - Central West End
Dr. Omurtag was very aware of how difficult this process was and was always willing to work with my husband and me to find a treatment plan that worked for us. He listened to our concerns and made us feel good about moving forward. He was also very helpful in explaining our treatment.... Dr. Omurtag is a very helpful and compassionate doctor. He helped us navigate through a very frustrating and disappointing time in our life, which ended up resulting in the birth of our son. He was very informative and straightforward, but also listened to our concerns and reservations. I can’t recommend Dr. Omurtag and his staff enough!!
[Wash U is] Very organized, friendly, and helpful. Great and making sure you are informed and always willing to answer your questions. I never had to wait too long for appointments either. It was very easy to get ahold of my nurse or doctor.... Cathy was always very helpful and informative. She did the one IUI I had with Wash U. She was great about answering all of my questions.
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Trust the process and try to be patient. Also, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
First we tried a medicated cycle with injections and an IUI. I over responded to the injections and had to wait 2 months for my ovaries to go down. Didn’t get to the IUI that time. We tried again, this time with less dosage and an IUI, by resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After that, we were ready to move forward with IVF. I used injections for 4-5 days (Gonal F, Menopur, and Lupron). My egg retrieval resulted in 32 eggs, 19 were mature, and we decided, as a personal decision to only fertilize 10. We did a fresh transfer with one of our day 5 embryos and ended up freezing the remaining four embryos we had for future use.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
Insurance covered our IVF treatment so I’m not sure. Medications cost us $3,000 out of pocket, and we had to put $600 (if I remember correctly) down to be financially clear.
St. Louis - Central West End

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] wanted to start us with IUI because we had one miscarriage prior to meeting with him. It was possible for us to get pregnant but had been challenging. IUI was the more affordable option and we had a good chance of success. He stated to do 3 rounds and if one did not work we would meet again and decide the next steps. Most likely IVF.
Good communication, friendly receptionists, nice waiting area and multiple doctors available at all times to assist with procedures [at Wash U]. Everything was explained in detail when we were there and the billing department always let you know when a procedure was or wasn’t covered by insurance.... Kathy [a nurse] is super friendly and informative. She communicated information to Dr. Omurtag quickly and always got back to us in a timely manner. She performed all three of our IUIs.
Kenan explained everything in detail and was interested everything we had done before meeting with him. He got to know my husband and I in detail and gave us a reassuring feeling when we left his office.
He is on it and will want to be aggressive with treatment. I think this is a good thing!
When I enter the clinic I feel like the staff know who I am and where I’m at in my journey.
He wanted to start us with IUI because we had one miscarriage prior to meeting with him. It was possible for us to get pregnant but had been challenging. IUI was the more affordable option and we had a good chance of success. He stated to do 3 rounds and if one did not work we would meet again and decide the next steps. Most likely IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is super friendly and informative. She communicated information to Dr. Omurtag quickly and always got back to us in a timely manner. She performed all three of our IUIs.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I have nothing bad to say. Good communication, friendly receptionists, nice waiting area and multiple doctors available at all times to assist with procedures. Everything was explained in detail when we were there and the billing department always let you know when a procedure was or wasn’t covered by insurance.
First visit was covered with copay and we never were charged for all of our blood work, so insurance covered that. Our IUI’s were $383 each time and the ovidrel shot was $107
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
St. Louis - Central West End

In our first appointment with Dr. Odem he took the time to sit down with my husband and i, hear our story of ttc and what we had done with our previous RE and came up with a plan of action. He took me off some medications that the doctor before had flippantly put me on and I was grateful for his knowledge.... He is kind and compassionate, willing to change a protocol if something is not working... We started on Letrozole for one cycle to get myself to ovulate
Clinic [WashU School of Med] is easily accessible if you work or live in the city. They are willing to accommodate appointments/procedures on Saturdays instead of making you work with their schedule, they work with yours. They are a bigger clinic so you may not get to see your doctor every appointment but the nursing staff has all been wonderful so far and i feel like we're getting great care. Love that they have a lab within their clinic so you get blood results back within the same day typically.
How was your experience with Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
He is kind and compassionate, willing to change a protocol if something is not working. He took the time to listen to our story and helped us come up with a plan that we were all on board with and adjustments if we ran into problems.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Randall Odem (retired) used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We started on Letrozole for one cycle to get myself to ovulate and then the next cycle did the same protocol since i was able to ovulate the previous month. We are going in for our first IUI this cycle.
The nursing staff has been wonderful. If you leave a message, they call you back within an hour or two at the most. They take time to answer questions and address concerns.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Clinic is easily accessible if you work or live in the city. They are willing to accommodate appointments/procedures on Saturdays instead of making you work with their schedule, they work with yours. They are a bigger clinic so you may not get to see your doctor every appointment but the nursing staff has all been wonderful so far and i feel like we're getting great care. Love that they have a lab within their clinic so you get blood results back within the same day typically.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag was super knowledgeable but had a great way of sharing information in a way that I could understand. He was optimistic and realistic at the same time. I appreciated the way he kept in close contact with me about increasing or decreasing medications after getting my blood drawn. He helped me create the family I've always wanted, even when I felt like it might not be possible.
Washington University has always been at the forefront of research and up to date practices. I liked how all of the doctor's were familiar with my case so that any of them were able to do procedures knowing my history and what was needed. I feel like everyone truly cared about my well-being...They [nurses] were knowledgeable as well. They kept me up to speed with things I needed to do, schedule, or change during the whole process
Don't be afraid to ask questions or get clarification if you don't understand something.
I felt like he knew me, my history, my wishes, and worked hard to make an individualized plan for me.
We used the antagonist protocol with all of the recommended medications, including progesterone injections even after transfer. I got pregnant twice with this protocol. The first one ended in a miscarriage due to a genetic abnormality. The second was a successful live birth.
They were knowledgeable as well. They kept me up to speed with things I needed to do, schedule, or change during the whole process. They were kind and helpful.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Omurtag has been great...we lost our last baby in March of 2018 since then he has been available for any questions i have had about donor embryos and the adoption process...they have determined that my eggs and embryos were not good :( while this is a very hard thing to take I have enjoyed greatly working with Dr. Omurtag when i ask a question about a certain site he will do the research and give me his honest thoughts on the site and has been there to walk us through the process.
The staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is great very friendly and want to make you as comfortable as possible. The facility is very clean this is a learning/teaching hospital and so there will be a lot of people involved in your care but the whole place is good I only wish my result could have been different and that we had better results with our embryos...There were times i felt like Kathy didnt care but other times you could hear in her voice that she wanted better results
Dr. Omurtag has been great we lost our last baby in March of 2018 since then he has been available for any questions i have had about donor embryos and the adoption process they have determined that my eggs and embryos were not good :( while this is a very hard thing to take I have enjoyed greatly working with Dr. Omurtag when i ask a question about a certain site he will do the research and give me his honest thoughts on the site and has been there to walk us through the process.
Be patient when waiting for responses he will respond within a couple of days but he is also doing his research and often responds late so you know that you are important to him
Dr. Omurtag made sure that i was fully aware of the process and what was happening to me as well as what to expect he took time to make sure that all my questions were answered and understood. Never once did we feel rushed in and out of the office we were always given the time needed to understand and for the processes
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The staff is great very friendly and want to make you as comfortable as possible. The facility is very clean this is a learning/teaching hospital and so there will be a lot of people involved in your care but the whole place is good I only wish my result could have been different and that we had better results with our embryos.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

Dr. Jungheim is incredibly warm and very thorough and scientific in her treatment planning and recommendations. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to a friend. She maintained a positive but realistic attitude throughout the process.... Each time we met with Dr. Jungheim, she took all the time we needed to answer our questions and provide us with more information on the treatments she was recommending.
This Washington University clinic has the very best physicians, and I have been extremely impressed by the nursing staff as well. The one improvement I feel could be made is to the front desk staff who can be a bit gruff.... I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Dr. Jungheim diagnosed me with unexplained infertility. She was not able to pinpoint any specific issues in either my partner nor I. I completed 3 Clomid+IUI cycles with Dr. Jungheim, all of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Jungheim then recommended we swiftly move on to IVF, rather than doing more IUI cycles, given that this is shown to get patients pregnant faster and for less cost overall than doing more IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Jungheim has a strong preference for eSET.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Odem] was easy to talk to and provided sufficient information for us to understand the process....I like that all of the doctors at Washington University work as a team and discuss all cases weekly to try to obtain the best results. Never felt that he was misleading me for his own personal financial gain....I was on the long agonist protocol. This was due to my irregular cycle and endometriosis. I feel everything went as expected.... If possible, they would like to do eSET; however, that depends upon the number of eggs retrieved and on how the fertilized eggs are developing at day 3.
I think it is important to know that the doctors at Washington University work as a team so they collaborate on all the cases. This means that you are not only dealing with your doctor, who is likely to be top notch, but your case gets input from other great doctors as well....I believe the procedures were approximately 11,000 which included everything but the medication. Medication costs were about $5000...The day I took the 14 day pregnancy test, they failed to call me with the results of the test.
He was very knowledgeable. I like that all of the doctors at Washington University work as a team and discuss all cases weekly to try to obtain the best results. Never felt that he was misleading me for his own personal financial gain.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine?
Ask questions as he is more than willing to answer them.
He was easy to talk to and provided sufficient information for us to understand the process.
Great team. They communicate well and promptly call with information.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem (retired) at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe Randall Odem (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Omurtag] was a bit in a rush. But knew what was going on. And always considered our questions or thoughts on potential alternatives ... He was a bit in a rush. But knew what was going on. And always considered our questions or thoughts on potential alternatives ... He recommended single. But decision was ours. ... Did the major procedures. Checked up on us. Overall great
They’re are a lot of doctors and nurses who seem very competent. ... The location is in the central west end and most of the appointment times seemed to be mid morning for us. The procedures where all done onsite ... Since it’s affiliate with WashU it seems like it’s more legit than a standalone practice. ... All total not including the medication it cost just over 20,000 as that was my companies reimbursement limit.
Very clear. To the point. Listened to our questions and considered there (e.g. considering massage therapy instead of tube removal). Had stickers on his laptop that once made him seem a bit less professional. But very personable. Did the major procedures. Checked up on us. Overall great
Trust him.
Gonal F and cetrotide
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They’re are a lot of doctors and nurses who seem very competent. Since it’s affiliate with WashU it seems like it’s more legit than a standalone practice. The location is in the central west end and most of the appointment times seemed to be mid morning for us. The procedures where all done onsite
About 14000 including a fresh transfer with medication costing additional 6000 and the frozen transfer costing about 2000. All total not including the medication it cost just over 20,000 as that was my companies reimbursement limit.
He recommended single. But decision was ours. He said for our case it would not increase the likelihood of conception
St. Louis - Central West End
She [Dr. Jimenez] is very warm and welcoming and answered all questions we had. If calls occurred, they were returned quickly. She is new to the practice but has already set a great impression. I look forward to continuing our journey and hopefully having success this year....Great teaching and listening... I am going to be doing the long agonist protocol. The thought is to suppress my endometriosis and reset my hormones.
Ensure you keep track of your insurance and bills. There was an issue with a payment made in office [Wash U School of Med] and still has not posted. Ask for the green dot for parking if not sent in your intro packet. Also ensure an email is sent to invite you the online health portal.... We financed and 2 cycles with up to 4 transfers is $28k... She [Dr. Jimenez] is very warm and welcoming and answered all questions we had. If calls occurred, they were returned quickly.
How was your experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
She is very warm and welcoming and answered all questions we had. If calls occurred, they were returned quickly. She is new to the practice but has already set a great impression. I look forward to continuing our journey and hopefully having success this year.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Take detailed notes and make a list of questions for each visit. Write the answers down at your visit and remember to call if additional questions arise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Great teaching and listening
Describe the protocols Patricia Jimenez used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Ensure you keep track of your insurance and bills. There was an issue with a payment made in office and still has not posted. Ask for the green dot for parking if not sent in your intro packet. Also ensure an email is sent to invite you the online health portal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.
We financed and 2 cycles with up to 4 transfers is $28k
Patricia Jimenez
St. Louis - Central West End

I rarely saw or spoke with Jungheim. The care was through nurses. ... I never felt like she was involved in my care at all - or that she even knew any of the details. ... found her nice but behind in the medical literature...based on the outdated practices used in my care compared to the recommendations by ACOG and ASRM. ... She wanted to transfer all 3 but I refused as that is not recommended by ASRM
Wrong semen results. Poor protocols. [Washington University School of Medicine] Charged $2000 because we made more embryos than transferred. Never told prices after insurance despite asking. Incorrect billing to insurance - transfer and extra two days of incubation covered, not doctor or egg retrieval. Double billed for ultrasounds. ... With medication $31,000 for one cycle of IVF. We were not told this upfront ... The nurse was fine - she handled some of the IUIs and the phone calls. I often felt like she didn't have good answers to my questions but no real issues.
I rarely saw Dr. Jungheim despite being her patient. The model of care is centered on nurses and techs - you only see the doctor for initial consult and egg retrieval/transfers and there is no certainty you will get your doctor. I found her nice but behind in the medical literature and she certainly didn't seem like a world class IVF researcher (or Center of Excellence as WUSTL bills it) based on the outdated practices used in my care compared to the recommendations by ACOG and ASRM.
Go elsewhere - the people that have success here with IVF would likely conceive with monitored IUIs elsewhere.
Honestly, I rarely saw or spoke with Jungheim. The care was through nurses. I saw her for my initial visit, for a a visit after 3 failed IUIs, at egg retrieval, and at my fresh embryo transfer. She called once or twice - once after I left a furious message with the nurse when we were given the wrong man's sperm information and after I demanded a call when our embryo transfer failed. I never felt like she was involved in my care at all - or that she even knew any of the details. The few meetings we had felt like combat - I would come in having read all the recent literature and wanting standards of care based on current recommendations, and she would cite decade old research as justification for her decisions. IUIs were done with clomid and no monitoring. When I could not detect ovulation one month they did a vaginal ultrasound and found a cyst. I was not told about the cyst (I saw it when I requested my medical records) nor was it monitored in any way.
IUIs - 2 with clomid, no cycle monitoring. Test at home for ovulation using home predictor strips and call when positive. Bring in sample, it will be washed and inseminated by a nurse. Next 2 IUIs were with femera after I had a reaction to the clomid. IVF: long lupron. 15 days stim protocol. daily lupron, started with 3 vials menopur and gonal-f. I was told this is what they did for low AMH values. Doses were adjusted every 3rd day based on bloodwork and ultrasound scans. Triggered with IM HGH; egg retrieval followed. We retrieved 13 eggs, 10 mature, 3 fertilized and all 3 made it to day 3. Transfer: fresh embryo transfer on day 3. She wanted to transfer all 3 but I refused as that is not recommended by ASRM. We agreed to two. We had 8, 7, and 6 cell embryos; transferred 6 and 8 cell embryos and asked to continue growing the 7 cell to day 5 and freezing. We were told it would likely not make it. It did and we froze the embryo. And for this - our embryo having the audacity to live and me refusing to transfer above the ASRM recommendations we were charged $2000 in lab culture fees for the additional two days of growth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Melanie or Molly? )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Strengths - TV shows episodes of Great British Baking. I was really well monitored coming out of anesthesia following the egg retrieval and felt really well cared for. They kept me for more than a hour, made sure I could urinate, and just overall kept me well monitored. This was probably the best part of my experience with them. Weaknesses - IUIs are unmonitored and not likely to succeed. Cysts were not monitored. No communication with doctor outside of consults and those were few and far between. The biggest issues: 1) we had very low fertilization rates even with ICSI (next clinic 100% vs 30%). 2) 3 day fresh transfers are just not that common any more because all the data suggest that day 5 and frozen transfers are more likely to implant. Ultimately, we choose to move our remaining embryo to a different practice because we both were convinced WUSTL would kill the embryo and our chances of success with them would be low. Based on the numbers, they do numerous egg retrievals for each success and they have a biased clinic population towards younger (&lt;35 years old) women. Also, they gave us someone else's semen analysis. Finally: billing. We went to the WUSTL FRCM because it was the only clinic my insurance would cover. We had 10k in drugs and 10k in infertility. I got a pre-approval as required by the practice and the insurance company. I asked what our share would be when paying the $600 cycle deposit. I was told they couldn't tell me - it was against policy. We went ahead on good faith. That was a huge mistake. Our IVF cycle with them cost $31,000 including $12,000 in drugs. We were expected to pay the $11,000 difference at full rate - not a plan and not at the negotiated rate with our insurance company. It cost us more to do a cycle with WUSTL FRCM with insurance than with another clinic without insurance.
With medication $31,000 for one cycle of IVF. We were not told this upfront (had 20k insurance cap - 10 meds, 10 procedures). We were told after negative pregnancy test we owed $11,000 including $2000 in lab fees for making more embryos then were transferred.
She transfers too many embryos too early.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Wrong semen results. Poor protocols. Charged $2000 because we made more embryos than transferred. Never told prices after insurance despite asking. Incorrect billing to insurance - transfer and extra two days of incubation covered, not doctor or egg retrieval. Double billed for ultrasounds.
St. Louis - Central West End

Staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is friendly on arrival. When I was there they were transitioning computer charting, so everyone was confused. When making initial appointment, found it difficult to get through. When doing the financial clearance portion, found it difficult to get a callback...Dr Jungheim explained every detail of the IVF process and the steps we would be taking next. She was very knowledgeable and transparent. She was compassionate and had great bedside manner. She looks at all treatment options and decides what would work best for you. When a test result showed something we weren’t expecting, she had a plan be to use if needed. I am not through my IVF cycle, but have had a great experience with Dr. Jungheim this far.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Staff is friendly on arrival. When I was there they were transitioning computer charting, so everyone was confused. When making initial appointment, found it difficult to get through. When doing the financial clearance portion, found it difficult to get a callback.
St. Louis - Central West End

During the initial consultation he was very well informed about our process already and had a game plan already in place for our experience with his clinic [Washington University - St. Louis]. He focused on our issues and I felt like he was a lot more willing to tailor the process to our specific needs, unlike our previous doctor. He went over everything in great detail, allowed us time to ask questions, and was just wonderful to work with the entire time. He genuinely cares about his patients and the outcome of their treatment.
Everything is in one spot, they get you in and out in a timely manner while still preforming the best they can. Every single person I came in contact with had such a positive attitude and was so pleasant to work with. I loved the entire staff [Washington University - St. Louis]! ... They treated me with the utmost respect and care that I needed during this difficult process. ... The nursing staff was wonderful. They made no mistakes and went over everything with me thoroughly.
I came to Dr. Omurtag after we had a very bad experience with another local fertility specialist after a failed IVF cycle. He also came highly recommended by coworkers. During the initial consultation he was very well informed about our process already and had a game plan already in place for our experience with his clinic. He focused on our issues and I felt like he was a lot more willing to tailor the process to our specific needs, unlike our previous doctor. He went over everything in great detail, allowed us time to ask questions, and was just wonderful to work with the entire time. He genuinely cares about his patients and the outcome of their treatment. I have already recommended him to friends, and will return to him later on for additional treatment when needed. Best fertility doctor ever!
As hard as the entire process is, try to relax and trust that this fertility clinic has your best interest at heart.
Everyone I came in contact with at this clinic was absolutely wonderful. They treated me with the utmost respect and care that I needed during this difficult process. I couldn't say more positive things about the entire staff, they were perfect!
We did a full IVF procedure. I went in for a sonohyst to check my ovarian reserve, everything went great. They then started me on birth control pills after my next period, which I took for 3 weeks. I started Lupron 4 days before my birth control ended, then added in Gonal F, and Menopur later on. We did the trigger shot and then egg retrieval, and a 5 day fresh transfer.
The nursing staff was wonderful. They made no mistakes and went over everything with me thoroughly. They were great to work with and had my best interest at heart. Loved them!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I have been to more than one fertility clinic, and I have to say, this one was the absolute best, hands down. Everything is in one spot, they get you in and out in a timely manner while still preforming the best they can. Every single person I came in contact with had such a positive attitude and was so pleasant to work with. I loved the entire staff!
$600ish with insurance benefits, also we has already met our deductible for the year
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient...We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.... He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff...The nursing staff is competant and efficient. However, I cannot say that they show much compassion or attempt to get to know you personally. This is probably due to the volume of patients they see...IUIs were $385, and ultrasounds were $345. IVF is going to be approximately $11,500 (before meds).
Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient. We left our consultation with him feeling like our questions were answered. He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful. We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.
I would have no reservations referring someone to Dr. Omurtag. He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff. Dr. Omertag is very kind and personal, but we only saw him for consultations.
I did 3 IUIs, two with Clomid and one natural. I did day 12 ultrasounds to monitor follicles for the second and third cycles. For one cycle it was determined that the clomid diminished my lining so I was given estradoil and a trigger shot. IUI's were typically done the day after the positive LH surge. They were done by the nurse.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The obvious strength of WashU is that they have the highest success rates in the area. The doctors are experts at one of the most highly ranked medical centers in the country. Dr. Omrutag is very personable and patient as well. The weakness is that the staff is not very personal.
We are just beginning the IVF process, but during our IVF consultation he informed us that they recommend transfering only one embryo.
St. Louis - Central West End

Each time I met with her, she [Dr. Emily Junheim] talked with me and explained things very thoroughly. She did not stare at my file or computer but came prepared to our appointments knowing exactly what was going on.... We started with ultrasounds, HSG, and blood work. After that it was determined I wasn't ovulating consistently. (I had also previously had surgery to remove cyst, ovary, and Fallopian tube. I had also previously been diagnosed with endometriosis). We did 3 rounds of Letrozole and IUI. All 3 resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We are now in the process of beginning IVF.
Everyone that I have encountered has been very kind, friendly, and helpful [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Be prepared to see different faces if you go in different days and times and know you will not always see your doctor for procedures. Regardless, everyone has been great and good to work with.... You may not see Dr. Jungheim for the procedures but they want to do things on each patient's time table and not the doctor's.
Again, I appreciate the time she took to explain treatments to me. She came to the appointments prepared. I also appreciated that she called me after my 3rd IUI (I wasn't even home yet) to touch base.
I would tell them to recognize that this is a practice and not a single doctor clinic. You may not see Dr. Jungheim for the procedures but they want to do things on each patient's time table and not the doctor's.
Each time I met with her, she talked with me and explained things very thoroughly. She did not stare at my file or computer but came prepared to our appointments knowing exactly what was going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
I have just started communicating with her more with our upcoming IVF. She called and explained the entire process to me again, let me know what we needed to be done before we could begin, and gave suggestions on what could be helpful. They are very quick to return phone calls after I leave messages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone that I have encountered has been very kind, friendly, and helpful. Be prepared to see different faces if you go in different days and times and know you will not always see your doctor for procedures. Regardless, everyone has been great and good to work with.
IUIs have ran around $500. The IVF quote including medicine is roughly $14,000

2013 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Cooper is the most compassionate and empathetic physician I have ever had. Her knowledge and expertise on infertility related disease states are well shown through the research and studies she partakes in within the reproductive/endocrinology field. She treats each patient like a person and not as a statistic that will increase/decrease her facilities success rates. She never rushes you and thoroughly answers all questions during all phone and in person interactions.
I love the feel of this clinic [Centers for Reproductive Medicine and Wellness], it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
How was your experience with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
Make an in person consultation ASAP to see for yourself what a wonderful physician she is. You will leave feeling loved, cared about, and that your best interest is her number one priority.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine?
She made me feel like she truest wanted the best outcomes for me and despite my hormone levels was still willing to work with me if treatment is what I wanted to persue
Describe the protocols Amber Cooper used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
After being diagnosed with premature ovarian insiffiency, I wanted to know that I tried everything I could before opting for donor eggs. I tried high doses of gonadotropins such as follistim and menopur, but still did not produce follicles of sufficient size to proceed to a trigger and a retrieval. I tried this 2 different times, both times with the same results. I am currently in the process of persueing donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Brantley )
Andrea was great in communicating with me the plan Dr. Copper wanted me to take or to provide me lab/ultrasound results. She was just as compassionate and empathetic as Dr. Cooper.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I love the feel of this clinic, it is very small and you get to know all the staff very well. All the staff do an excellent job at their positions. Since it is a new facility, I have had issues with billing, but have never been pressured to pay anything before seen or a next appointment. The hold up was just due to the Doctor getting credentialed with each insurance company taking some time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amber Cooper at Washington University School of Medicine.
After my deductible is met, insurance picks up a majority of my visit cost. Prior to my deductible being met, a consultation was around $250, all of which was being applied to my deductible.
Amber Cooper
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Omurtag is a compassionate, trustworthy doctor. I now consider him a friend. He has been there for my fiancé and I through this tough experience and has not let us feel as though we are "alone on an island" once, just like he promised in the beginning! We ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to have two doses of methotrexate, this all occurred over the holidays. You could feel the compassion when in his office and see the pain he had for us in his eyes. I could likely go elsewhere for less money but he is worth every extra penny, even if we didn't get to our end result just yet!
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA [at Washington University] were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!... The lab techs are fabulous at drawing and always super friendly. The ultrasound techs are equally as good! Always happy and they explain every little moment to you so there are no surprises!
Go to your first meeting with your questions and with your past experiences and information! He will help guide you the rest of the way!
Dr Omurtag and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel special and most importantly, comfortable! Multiple times he has gone out of his way to ease my husbands and I's minds whether it was a check in call, researching to find an answer to our question or simply a hug!
Our first round was a long agonist with gonal-f protocol. The lupron that was used gave me terrible headaches and some stiffness in my neck but overall I did great with the protocol. We ended up transferring two healthy embryos and we had an ectopic pregnancy. We just now started an antagonist with OCPs protocol for round 2. He chose this so he can be more aggressive with the stimulation and therefore have more embryos hopefully to choose from in the end.
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It was close to $18,00 including meds. Our insurance didn't cover a penny so we were out of pocket patients.
The doctors in this practice choose based on the embryos and their development. Their goal is for you to have one healthy and happy baby...they come with their reasoning on how many they feel you should transfer and together you make a decision.

2012 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Sarah Keller] is concise, but explained my conditions in full detail, even provided drawings if that helped us understand why some things did/did not work. She always walks us through each procedure at least once, if not twice. She is thorough in understanding my body and our treatment. We are returning patients and she loves to hear about our son, who was conceived with her help. The first round we had some miscommunication that caused some confusion, but it was easily fixed and she made sure it did not happen again.
The only problem is reaching a person when we call [Washington University]. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again... The initial visit took place at a different location than the rest of the appointments, treatments, and procedures which did not make much sense to me. Other than that, the facilities were welcoming and easy to navigate.
She is concise, but explained my conditions in full detail, even provided drawings if that helped us understand why some things did/did not work. She always walks us through each procedure at least once, if not twice. She is thorough in understanding my body and our treatment. We are returning patients and she loves to hear about our son, who was conceived with her help. The first round we had some miscommunication that caused some confusion, but it was easily fixed and she made sure it did not happen again.
She will cover everything and she is very knowledgable in her field. If it doesn't make sense at first, ask questions and she will be happy to explain and help in any way she can.
Doctor Keller and her staff always treat us kindly. They are pleasant and personable. Our concerns/questions are addressed and discussed in a clear manner. Instructions are clear, given verbally and written. The only problem is reaching a person when we call. More often than not, we have to leave a message and the return call is not always convenient to take. I'm a teacher and am only available at certain times throughout the day, but feel like I have to take their call even in the middle of class because I'm not sure when I will be able to reach them again.
Because of my diagnosis we went straight to IVF treatments. I had other procedures, but do not recall exact names or reasons. I received hormones orally and injected. She adjusted my thyroid medicine as my blood work results were obtained. I had a fresh transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and frozen transfer which resulted in a live birth. Because of my previous results, she is following the same course of treatment this round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Susan)
Everyone is compassionate and caring. They take the time to get to know you as a person and a patient. They are encouraging and never talk down to you if you have questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I am unsure about total clinic costs. Copays are $40 and my insurance has always covered 80% of expenses. I know the medication cost about $1,500.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
We received conflicting information from the doctor and nursing staff which caused confusion and was upsetting at the time in the procedure. We've also expected results by a certain time, but had to call requesting the information.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Odem is amazing at his profession. He is not only very professional, but he is also very kindhearted and gentle spirited. You can tell he genuinely cares for his patients. During a very difficult time, he made us feel as if we were his only patients. He took the time to explain things to us, and we never felt rushed. We appreciated his caring heart during a very hard time.... One specific visit was very very difficult for us, when we experienced an ectopic pregnancy. He was very calm and caring, and he was gentle and gave us plenty of time to grieve and then decide what our next step was.
Laura is Dr. Odem's coordinator or receptionist: she is amazing and always gets back to me in a timely manner. I always received a call back in the same day, and never had to wait more than an hour or a few hours. Crystal is one of his nurses: she is always smiling and caring. She always explains what she is doing before she does it, and is super encouraging.... My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
Dr. Odem is an amazing person and a wonderful physician. I honestly don't have any weakness or negatives to say regarding Dr. Odem. I have many positive things to say in our time spend at the clinic with Dr Odem. From our visit, we could tell that he loves what he does, and he truly wants the best outcome for his patients. One specific visit was very very difficult for us, when we experienced an ectopic pregnancy. He was very calm and caring, and he was gentle and gave us plenty of time to grieve and then decide what our next step was. I cannot explain how much that meant to us during a very hard time. He took excellent care of us, and that was just very encouraging.
Ask lots of questions.
The first cycle we just used Clomid with no success. The 2nd cycle we used Clomid and IUI together, and we did have success with a pregnancy. At 6 weeks, it failed with an ectopic pregnancy. The next 4 cycles we did Clomid and IUI with no success. Our last visit consisted of an IVF discussion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal nurse, Laura coordinator)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk worker Alicia is always happy to see you and get you signed in. She is always smiling and super comforting. My phonecalls are always returned by his nurse Crystal or coordinator Laura, and they always are very timely. His staff is always very professional and happy to help you with whatever you need.
Office visits with Dr Odem himself costed anywhere from $130-250. IUI ranged $100-$300. I had to have surgery at Barnes for ectopic pregnancy which was around $15,000.
We did feel sufficiently educated on the IVF process. He strongly recommended a single embryo transfer in our case. He did explain why he recommended a single transfer versus multiple--examples: higher risk pregnancy, higher risk of premature births and higher risk of losing a pregnancy.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Sarah Keller] was very attentive and courteous and genuinely concerned about my success and my over all well being...She takes into consideration the whole picture when coming up with a plan. She went over both mine and my husbands issues. She made sure you understood before you left her office. She gave options instead of trying to dictate every move. She is highly recommended.
They [nurses at Washington University School of Medicine] are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive...IUI 383 per cycle...I am very pleased with the care they provide. I came here to get a second opinion and I am so glad I did. They are very compassionate and knowledgeable. They take all things into consideration when planning your course of treatment.
Dr Keller is exceptional. She is very compassionate and thorough. She takes into consideration the whole picture when coming up with a plan. She went over both mine and my husbands issues. She made sure you understood before you left her office. She gave options instead of trying to dictate every move. She is highly recommended.
Go see her sooner than you think you should. You will not be disappointed in her care.
She was very attentive and courteous and genuinely concerned about my success and my over all well being.
I had previously had two egg retrievals at a different place with poor results. I went to Dr Keller for a second opinion. My diagnosis was basically unexplained infertility. She gave me the option to try less expensive treatments with IUI plus clinic first because I have a strong family history of breast cancer and the less hormones the better for me. She said sometimes if it is an issues with egg quality the less you mess with the eggs the better off you are. IUI plus Clomid resulted in a pregnancy the 3rd try, however it was an ectopic pregnancy. After 3 more attempts she recommended IVF which we are currently planning to do soon. The last IUI I took Femara instead of Clomid she wanted to see if it might work better for me.
They are all very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.
IUI 383 per cycle.
She has recommended two embryos (maximum) transfer when the time comes if possible.

2017, Unknown Success
Dr Keller has called me personally on various occasions to discuss my "game plan." She also went to a conference and while there she said she went to some speakers on my condition. This gave her new ideas for my next protocol...Dr. Keller is very candid which I appreciate. She gets right to the point. She doesn't sugar coat. I feel that she absolutely has my best interests at heart. I know she has a lot of other patients but I don’t really feel like “just a number” to her. I wish I could see Dr. Keller at every procedure but Washington University rotates doctors doing procedure.
I like that the clinic [WA U] has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first)....My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly.
Dr. Keller is very candid which I appreciate. She gets right to the point. She doesn't sugar coat. I feel that she absolutely has my best interests at heart. I know she has a lot of other patients but I don’t really feel like “just a number” to her. I wish I could see Dr. Keller at every procedure but Washington University rotates doctors doing procedure. However, I think there are many pros to this system. I have had egg retrievals and transfers on holidays, weekends, even Sunday. I appreciate that they have a large group of doctors for this reason. And they meet every week to discuss cases and bounce ideas off of each other.
I would just warn them that they might feel overwhelmed at first or feel like “just a number” but Dr. Keller really cares.
Dr. K switched my to an antagonist for my second retrieval. Therefore I could do a Lupron trigger since the first egg retrieval resulted in mild OHSS. Antagonist with the Lupron trigger was soooo much easier on my body. She also suggested freezing my embryos at 2PN (right after fertilization) rather than grow them to blast and then freeze. I didn’t have luck getting embryos to blast stage during the first IVF. So this way I can still do a frozen transfer (let my body calm down for a couple months) and still have the option of a 3 day transfer if necessary.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
My nurse is Amy. She seems very organized and responds to emails quickly. I really appreciate that. There have been a few times when the response comes late in the day and I would worry but I always heard from her! The procedure area nurses are amazing. They are so sweet. I have not met one that I don’t like!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I like that the clinic has a group of doctors. They bounce ideas off of each other. Makes me feel better about my doctor’s protocol knowing that a GROUP of doctors agreed upon it. A new patient should know that their doctor won’t necessarily do their egg retrieval/transfer. Also since it is a teaching hospital, be prepared to have students watching procedures (your doctor will ask your permission first).
For my first cycle (monitoring, retrieval, and transfer), insurance was billed $21,000. This was MORE than I was originally told. Meds were $3,800. Luckily I have fairly good insurance. For my second cycle (monitoring and retrieval - no transfer yet), insurance has been billed $17,862. Meds were about the same.
I've done one transfer so far. We transferred 2 embryos at her suggestion. This was because it was day 5 and they were not quite blasts yet so she thought 2 would be better than 1.
St. Louis - Central West End

He [Dr. Omurtag] was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.... He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
The ladies at the front desk [Washington University School of Medicine] during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.... Kathy and Jessie both were always available, they would call back within a reasonable amount of time (same day, usually a few hours), answered questions, talked with you, treated you professionally but as a human.
He was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.
Ask questions. and be aware that he may not be the doctor to do your procedures, that’s important to know, but all the doctors in the practice are great.
He took the time during each appointment to explain the process and answer questions. He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
We did IVF. I started meds to “quiet” my ovaries which worked great. Then we started Stims at low doses and increased. I was not responding well enough at first and we talked about canceling the cycle and starting over with another protocol. I was able to come in an extra time for monitoring and finally started responding. Dr. Omurtag called me himself to talk about it since he knew they “scared” me with talk of canceling. Once we were where we needed to be we did egg retrieval and got 8 eggs, which was exactly what I expected per the last monitoring appointment we had. We ended up with 6 embryos. We went in for a day 5 fresh transfer and found out we had two picture perfect embryos but the others did not meet the criteria to freeze. We transferred one embryo and froze the other. Our fresh transfer did not work. We waited one cycle and jumped in to our frozen cycle. The one frozen embryo we had stuck like a champ and our IVF miracle baby was born January 2018. We are very happy with our results. :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The ladies at the front desk during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.
Fresh transfer was in the $11,000’s. I cannot remember the exact number right now. Medication was anywhere between $3-5k.
We had two “perfect” embryos. I wanted to transfer both but the doctor suggested only doing one. She said they don’t offer only doing one to everyone but that I was young, healthy and the embryo was “perfect.” I cried but agreed to only transfer one. I know it doesn’t always go how we want it to but I am glad I only did the one. I still had one frozen after the fresh transfer didn’t work. I would have been very upset and frustrated if we had walked away with nothing.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
After each monitoring appointment you are supposed to get a phone call with the results and medication adjustments. After my first monitoring appointment I never got a phone call so wasn’t sure what to do medication wise that night. As a new patient and it was my first monitoring I didn’t want to be annoying and call so I waited. Eventually the office closed and I had to call the after hours exchange and talk to a doctor to find out what I needed to do. That was the only “problem” I ever had. It would deter me from this clinic unless it happened several times. Once is just an honest mistake.

2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Omurtag] even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor...We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her...My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy.
Extremely patient, Kind and compassionate. He even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor.
Know that the techs and nurses might not have the best bedside manner or be super kind to you-BUT Dr. Omurtag is the one in charge of your treatment and each step along the way.
Most Importantly-When with Omertag I always felt like a human and was treated with kindness and respect. He always takes the time to explain any question and never rushes you. The Nurses and Tech are not so much. The bedside manner while receiving a vaginal ultrasound was kind of horrible. I was told I had many fibroids but was given no explanation of what type or what this meant for me. When I asked her for just a bit of explanation or if I could speak with a nurse I was shown the door. Like she actually said" the exit it right down the hall. So I left the office very confused and has to wait 24 hours for any explanation as to what this meant for me and my partners treatment.
After 3 failed IUI at another clinic-We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her. With that said she is always prompt on calling us back gets the job done. If this was not such a painful, hard and expensive time in our lives we would be ok with this- but it's such a sensitive time that even a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omertang and his fellow Fertiltiy Doctors are the best in Saint Louis. We have many friends that have used them with success. My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy. The being said they get the job done and this is the only clinic we want to be at for our upcoming egg retrieval and transfer.
At this point, we have spent around $4,500.00. For three IUI's, medication, ultrasounds, medication, (2) meetings with Omertag and Sperm.