4444 Forest Park Avenue
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400

2021, Successful
While he [Dr. Omurtag] was always straightforward, it was never indifferent or cold. His manner and encouragement was so appreciated during such a stressful time...He is very thorough and wants to have all the information before presenting the best options customized for you. Be prepared for a variety of tests for both you and your partner...Recalls details of previous discussions...about 6 months of trying to conceive without success, Dr Omurtag then requested my partner be evaluated and placed me on letrozole. Luckily this only required one cycle to conceive
[Washington University School of Medicine] staff were responsive, proactive, informative, and straight forward. Facility had an easy off campus location in CWE with parking so no worries about navigating through Barnes campus...Responded to messaged questions within hours and test results always same day...team walked me through home testing and lab work thereafter ever step of the way...Such a wonderful and supportive experience...
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Omurtag and his staff were incredible. Responded to messaged questions within hours and test results always same day. We had a few set backs and bumps along the way. While he was always straightforward, it was never indifferent or cold. His manner and encouragement was so appreciated during such a stressful time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Recalls details of previous discussions.
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Following several tests to evaluate my fertility r/t age, adjustments to my medications, and the addition of home ovulations tests, and about 6 months of trying to conceive without success, Dr Omurtag then requested my partner be evaluated and placed me on letrozole. Luckily this only required one cycle to conceive. His team walked me through home testing and lab work thereafter ever step of the way. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and again at 7 weeks prior to him releasing me back to my OB for care. Such a wonderful and supportive experience. Hopefully will not have to return but 10/10 recommend!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jesse)
Incredibly responsive and patient with all questions. Such an asset to the team!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
MD and staff were responsive, proactive, informative, and straight forward. Facility had an easy off campus location in CWE with parking so no worries about navigating through Barnes campus. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
The hysterosalpingogram and ultrasound were expensive and maxed out my insurance copay. The genetic testing was also out of pocket. Total spent was likely $1200.
2017 - 2021, Successful
after meeting with him [Dr. Omurtag], I knew he had my best interest at heart and that he would exhaust every avenue to help me in my journey. He and his staff are very organized, personable, caring, kind, and understanding...I always felt informed and included on all aspects of my care. It was always comforting to know that I was a priority and that there was always a plan in terms of my care...
Everyone [at Washington University School of Medicine] was supportive, encouraging, organized, understanding, and helpful. I never felt alone and was always included in communications about my care...He [Dr. Omurtag] and his staff are very organized, personable, caring, kind, and understanding...I always felt informed and included on all aspects of my care. It was always comforting to know that I was a priority and that there was always a plan in terms of my care...
I was extremely impressed with Dr. Omurtag and his staff. Prior to coming to them, I was doubtful I would ever reach my goal of having children. However, after meeting with him, I knew he had my best interest at heart and that he would exhaust every avenue to help me in my journey. He and his staff are very organized, personable, caring, kind, and understanding. Thanks to them, I have two beautiful babies.
Trust the process.
I always felt informed and included on all aspects of my care. It was always comforting to know that I was a priority and that there was always a plan in terms of my care. I was never in doubt that I was receiving the best care.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I can only talk about the strengths. Everyone was supportive, encouraging, organized, understanding, and helpful. I never felt alone and was always included in communications about my care. I would recommend them to anyone needing fertility assistance.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Jaminez is clear on what is safe. She also understands our wants and needs and we come to a happy end result of how many to transfer...called to personally talk to us. She always remembered who we were, remembered our personalities, and our expectations...She is friendly, caring, professional...The 2nd IVF cycle resulted in 5 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET.
We transferred 2 fresh embryos [at Washington University School of Medicine] and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET...She [nurse] responds to calls and emails quickly. She goes above her job duties and even met me with some medication when there was an issue with our prescription provider so our cycle wouldn't be canceled...FET will cost right under $5,000. The office gave me a breakdown of the costs.
How was your experience with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
She is friendly, caring, professional. She listens to our needs, wants, desires. She also is clear on what the right path is, safely, for mother and potential babies. There is good communication and understanding from both patient and doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
You dont see Dr Jaminez at every appointment. You mostly are in contact with her nursing staff, but they are in constant contact with the dr. They are the best!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Jaminez called to personally talk to us. She always remembered who we were, remembered our personalities, and our expectations.
Describe the protocols Patricia Jimenez used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I have done 2 long analytical cycles for IVF. The first resulted in 3 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos that didnt take. We went right into a FET, that didnt take either. The 2nd IVF cycle resulted in 5 day 5 embryos. We transferred 2 fresh embryos and neither of those resulted in a pregnancy. We are currently waiting to proceed with a FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denice)
Denice is AMAZING!!!! She responds to calls and emails quickly. She goes above her job duties and even met me with some medication when there was an issue with our prescription provider so our cycle wouldn't be canceled. She's the BEST!!!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great. They have a team of doctors that meet every Tuesday afternoon to discuss the weeks cases and review any upcoming cycles. I honestly cant think of any weakness. They are all so friendly and caring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Patricia Jimenez at Washington University School of Medicine.
I had great insurance for my first 2 retrievals and transfers, so our costs were minimal compared to others. Right now I have new insurance and am fighting to get treatment approved. If it is not, a FET will cost right under $5,000. The office gave me a breakdown of the costs.
Describe Patricia Jimenez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Patricia Jimenez
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again...my first cycle was a short protocol, with 9 days of stim medications of Gonal-f, Menopur, and cetrotide. we retrieved 9 eggs, but most of them were not mature. the 2nd cycle we changed to a long agonist protocol with lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur. we retrieved 17 eggs, 15 were mature...our 1st cycle we transferred 2, because of the low quality and low numbers we retrieved. the 2nd time, because we had so many embryos, we only transferred 1
everyone was always on the same page for my care [at Washington University School of Medicine], and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously...most of my monitoring was done at a secondary location, but all appointments were quick, in and out.
with this clinic, its a group effort, so while i may not have seen my direct doctor, i was always aware of who would be handling each procedure. i was introduced to each doctor, and everything was explained in detail, with a chance to ask questions and confirm understanding. i never waited for a doctor to show up.
be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again with success .
my first name was used at all times, without referring to paperwork to ensure it was correct. i was given a voice in all transactions, and decisions were made with me, not for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
everyone was always on the same page for my care, and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
the clinic is highly organized, and efficient. the only downside for me personally was that they were over 200 miles away from where i live. a lot of communication had to be done by phone, text or patientchart. there was never a lack of communication, even with that being true.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
most of my costs were covered by insurance, but it was hard to nail down an exact number, or cost for anything. i contacted billing several times without an answer. if i were paying out of pocket, this would have been very concerning.
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.

2020, Unknown Success
Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Omurtag spent over an hour on Zoom with me explaining all the details of the fertility medications, retrieval process, etc. he was very well-informed and constantly asked if we had any questions. He also drew out pictures to make things very clear. He set me up with his nurse who has been in constant contact with me since...helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
The cost of one egg retrieval [at Washington University School of Medicine] and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year...Everyone is very organized and kind. The clinic has excellent communication skills and all questions are clearly answered. They make you feel like you belong and aren’t just another patient at the clinic. They care about you.
Dr. Omurtag helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
He is very informative and friendly. He makes sure you understand everything and doesn’t move on if you have questions.
I am on an antagonist cycle. I’m doing 3 injectable medications daily. I get ultrasounds and bloodwork done approximately every other day. He updated my online profile very quickly so I know the results of my lab tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary has called me nearly every day with updates, advice, or just to check in. She’s been absolutely amazing and has answered any and all questions that I have. She is readily available at all times. She got me set up with several programs so my medications would be cheaper. She is in contact with the fertility doctors in my hometown so I have appointments when necessary and get results quickly. I’d be lost without Mary!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The cost of one egg retrieval and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year. Medications not covered by grants were approximately $600.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center
I called on a Friday with worries that my scaring might be returning (Friday’s are Dr.Odem’s surgeries) he called me at 6:30 on a Friday night to talk me through my worries and complaints and helped me find a doctor closer to home. Dr. Odem said I’d only need one surgery for Ashermans (most women need multiple!) and he was right! I only wish I lived closer I would have continued to see Dr. Odem...Dr. Odem LISTENS and tries to answer every one of your questions. He takes time and is not in a rush to see the next patient- you feel like he’s on your side and a friend. He ALWAYS called me back the same day with any questions or worries I had. I only wish I lived closer.
Nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] was also amazing, caring, and listened...The staff and clinic as a whole are amazing. Everyone took their time to explain procedures and protocol to me. I didn’t feel like cattle being moved from one room to another. My case was a bit different than others- but I wasn’t treated any differently. I know I called many times (I’m sure I was annoying) but this staff worked with me. They helped ensure my procedure was covered by insurance!!
How was your experience with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Be prepared to have a doctor who treats you more like a friend than just another number.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Odem listened to my complaints, worries, questions- everything. After seeing three doctors, I finally saw a doctor who LISTENED and cared and put my worries at ease! He is so caring. I called on a Friday with worries that my scaring might be returning (Friday’s are Dr.Odem’s surgeries) he called me at 6:30 on a Friday night to talk me through my worries and complaints and helped me find a doctor closer to home. Dr. Odem said I’d only need one surgery for Ashermans (most women need multiple!) and he was right! I only wish I lived closer I would have continued to see Dr. Odem. Seriously- cannot day enough how amazing this man is!
Describe the protocols Randall Odem used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
My situation was a bit different. I went to Dr. Odem only for Ashermans Syndrome. He worked around my schedule as I lived far away. He scheduled my surgery as soon as he could and helped arrange for care closer to home after the surgery.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
Nursing staff was also amazing, caring, and listened.
2016 - 2020, Successful
They [Washington University] are great at communicating with you, easy to get a hold of and very quick to respond to any messages. They handled IVF through the pandemic wonderfully. Patients need to know your provider might not do your actual retrieval or transfer, but they are all wonderful...He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] was extremely honest and great with communication, especially with going through IVF during the pandemic. Would highly recommend him. He always puts the patient first and it's nice when he responds to questions personally...Always easy to get a hold of them. They were also very quick to return calls or messages... ..
He was extremely honest and great with communication, especially with going through IVF during the pandemic. Would highly recommend him. He always puts the patient first and it's nice when he responds to questions personally.
Trust your healthcare provider
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy and Jessie)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are great at communicating with you, easy to get a hold of and very quick to respond to any messages. They handled IVF through the pandemic wonderfully. Patients need to know your provider might not do your actual retrieval or transfer, but they are all wonderful.
St. Louis - Central West End
[Dr. Omurtag] was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Just know that none of the docs within the WashU program are super patient-forward. You'll communicate with their nurses and receptionists, but these are amazing people who have no problem getting to the doctor, and getting back to you...She [nurse] had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from [Dr. Omurtag], still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Kenan was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Kenan knew exactly what was going on with us at every step of the way. His staff (receptionist and nurse) were really great to work with, and answered all of our questions. Like everyone going through the infertility nightmare, we were a special snowflake case. He knew the details, day in and day out, and was hugely supportive.
We started with an estrogen primer, followed by five days of Letrozole. From there, I added in 150 Follistim. Eventually, we added Ganirelix, with an HcG trigger.
Kathy is amazing! She had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from Kenan, still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk staff are great, the techs who do the blood draws are kind and compassionate, and the medical staff (doctors) we interacted with were really good at their jobs. If there's a weakness, it's that you don't have much direct contact with your doctor beyond the initial consult and testing, and the post-beta testing. For most of the treatment period, you're talking with the doctor's receptionist and nurse. Your doctor is still closely following your progress - you just don't talk with him/her.
We were ridiculously fortunate to have coverage through both my insurance and my husband's insurance. We paid under $3,000 for both IVF protocols.
Because of my age, we planned to do fresh 3-day transfers. We transferred every embryo we had at that point (4 the first time, 3 the second).
St. Louis - Central West End

We tried IUI first, using Menopur. We started out slow because she didn’t know how quickly my body was going to react. We ended up using menopur for 26 days & then did the IUI with the nurse. The IUI did not work, so we moved on to IVF. Her plan is to use Menopur again but at a faster rate. Around 10 days & then do the egg retrieval, we will be starting this process in a few weeks.
The clinic [Wash U] is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.... Melanie is awesome, very caring & helpful throughout the process. She kept you calm and hopeful.
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
She was very sweet & caring yet had the experience that we were looking for with my condition. We also liked how she remembered us and everything we have done so far and helped us develop a plan for what the next step was, the only thing I was upset about was that we were doing IUI & she had us not take the next round of menopur because she was afraid of multiples but in exchange the follicles were not big enough to actually successfully fertilize. The IUI did not work. Overall she is a great doctor & I would refer anyone to her services.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Speak up to your wishes, they try to get everyone to do genetic testing but that often adds on a lot of money. If you are not interested in it, just simply tell them that you are not doing it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
She cared for my case specifically for my needs, I’ve been to other clinics that made us feel like a number but with Jungheim we felt like she is doing what is best for us.
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Melanie )
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great, very clean and well equipped. The only thing that bugs me is that it is hard to get ahold of the clinic. You have to call the nurse & leave a message before you can get ahold of anyone. There is also the portal that is cool, but sometimes it takes 1 or 2 days for someone to respond.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
40 copay to see dr. 40 copay to see gen. Counseling Blood test billed $12000 ivf $500 for iui $4000-$5000 for menopur IUI/IVF $100 for trigger shot
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Keller is very personable, knowledgeable and caring. She was very proactive in trying to find the reason Ikeep having miscarriages. Though no reason was discovered, I still have trust in her care and believe she is making the right decisions...She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo...But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.
For how large the practice [Washington University School of Medicine] is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in...nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
While Dr. Keller is very knowledgeable the fertility science is not absolute. She will work her hardest for the best results.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
I came to Dr. Keller after multiple failed transfers with my previous Dr. She is not only very down to earth and tells you how it is in the sweetest way possible, she took the time to personally call me with test results and discuss my upcoming transfer.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
I have only used Dr. Keller for FETs. She ran multiple test for recurrent miscarriage on me and they all came back negative. For my frozen cycle we transfered 1 embryo. My protocol was: Day 1(March 2nd) start of period- start 2mg estrace 3x daily March 15- uterine lining check March 17- start 1/2ml PIO and azithromiacin (today only) March 18- Medrol 2x daily for 5 days and up PIO to 1ml March 22- Embryo transfer and continue 1ml PIO and estrace 3x daily Beta is 12 days after transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Dr. Kellers nurse Amy is very quick to respond to your questions. They have a portal that easily allows to communicate back in forth. Though I feel like I had many questions she never made me feel as though I was a bother.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
For how large the practice is, they are incredibly quick to respond and get you in and out and quickly as possible. My only complaint is the billing office is slow to to process our invoices. We used our HSA to pay for our transfer and we've been waiting for 3 weeks to get a detailed receipt to turn in.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
My FET was $3,800. My saline ultrasound and all other blood was covered by my insurance.
Describe Sarah Keller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Keller prefers transferring 1 high quality embryo at a time. But for my next transfer I have a fair and poor quality left she recommended transferring both. She will go over the risks of multiples if you decide to transfer more than 1.

2015 - 2019, Successful
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of... I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor... LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
Everyone [Washington University] worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours.... nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive... After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of (polyps removed from uterus, EKG b/c of an irregular heart beat etc) before moving on to the next step in process. I NEVER felt these findings were a way for the company to get more money, rather they were concerns he had that needed to be examined before he felt confident enough to proceed to ensure I would be able to carry a healthy baby full term.
trust him, he knows what he is doing and will not give you poor advice or sugar coat the risks. He gives you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor. Did not sugar coat anything yet was considerate of IUI we have tried in past with another fertility dr. He and his staff were always always available to answer any questions no matter how trivial. Wanted updates once baby was born, even asked if we could have a family picture with him! LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
My husband and I met with the his consultants first to review costs. Once that was complete we then saw Dr Omurtag who went in depth on different types of procedures he could try. Since my husband and I had tried for 6 years to have a child (with a fertility clinic in TN) he told us he would not put us/me through that again, he would not try IVF since we had not had success. Our option was egg donor. Once we made that choice we had to meet with a team of specialist to see if we/I were physically and mentally ready for the process. After I was cleared a battery of tests began (continual labs, weekly/monthy ultrasounds, sonohysterogram, removal of polyps), daily pills, patches and injections needed to be administered until I was finally ready for embryo transfer. 9 months later: SUCCESS!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I really do not remember her name)
Again, nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours. After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing (his nurse didn't call me, the receptionist didn't call me, HE did and any time a dr makes it a point to pick up the phone and place a call him/her self speaks volumes for the care he provides his patients)
for the process my husband and went through I felt it was reasonable. Because insurance did not cover much, most was out of pocket and payment options were made available to us.
Due to my age, only 3 eggs were transferred. We are trying for baby number 2 and this time he is telling me only 1 egg will be transferred. This Dr is phenomenal, always takes his patient's health and safety into consideration before doing whatever the patient wants.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center
He [Dr. Omurtag] reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care [at Wash U]. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey.
Dr. Omurtag was professional yet completely approachable, and was able to explain things in ways that were simple to understand while still being comprehensive. He patiently answered all of my questions - even during my first appointment, when I had an entire list of questions written down. He reviewed all of my test results, and would write comments once he had done so that I could read them on the patient portal. He made the whole fertility treatment process seem as easy and natural as anything in the world, giving us realistic expectations of success while reassuring us that he would be there to support and guide us along every step of the way. I have never had a doctor in whom I had more confidence and trust.
Come with questions, so you know what you want to know - and then rest easy, knowing Dr. Omurtag will tell you everything else, the things you didn't think to ask.
While always professional on every level, I felt like Dr. Omurtag and his staff were incredibly approachable and supportive. If I emailed them with a question, I had an answer within hours. If I called, I always either spoke directly with someone or received a prompt call back. If there were any tests I could do locally (I live two hours away from St. Louis), they would let me - saving me that long trip. During my first appointment I came with a list of questions written down, and Dr. Omurtag patiently answered every single one, and never made me feel foolish for asking any of them - even if they were very basic. Honestly, I cannot say enough about the supportive and attentive care I received while a patient of Dr. Omurtag. His nurses Kathy and Mary, and his medical secretary Jessie, were also incredible! Truly, those women made me feel so well looked after.
He reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey. She is the kind of person who made you feel safe, like you could rest easy because you knew she would dot every I and cross every T to make sure that the administrative side of your care was attended to. Honestly, I cannot say enough about Dr. Omurtag's staff. I wish we didn't live so far away, so that they could be in charge of my care permanently.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everything I experienced with Dr. Omurtag, his staff, and the clinic as a whole was of top-notch quality. I honestly did not have a single complaint during my time as their patient (and they have assured me that even though I will be resuming full-time care with my local OBGYN, I am free to call them at any time if I have any questions or concerns - another testament to how wonderful of an office they are). The patient portal made communication with the staff a breeze, the appointments were always prompt and efficiently run, and we would not hesitate to go to them again if we needed help with getting pregnant again. Frankly, if it weren't for the drive, I would switch doctors in a heartbeat. I've never had a better doctor or staff, nor felt more comfortable or well looked after.
Besides copays, I did not have any extra costs associated with my care from Dr. Omurtag.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Kevin Omurtag] suggested we do multiple due to age and past records...He has great bedside manner. He spends all the time in the world with you, going through every possible scenario that you bring to his attention. Dr. Omurtag is young and I find that an advantage as he seems to keep up on the latest information going on in infertility... is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
The front desk staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too...For IUI, we did mainly clomid, then after three of those, went to a clomid with one u/s and trigger shot. Finally, went to an IUI with injectables and monitoring. For IVF, we did a short antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles with ovidrel trigger shots.
Dr. Omurtag is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
Feel comfortable asking questions and make suggestions. He's open to them all and will go through all possibilities with you.
Kathy is fantastic! She responds very quickly to messages and calls. She does rush a bit on the phone, but is very thorough on email. I feel like she cares and wants everyone to be successful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is pretty cold when you first get there. The front desk staff are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too.
He suggested we do multiple due to age and past records.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag is fantastic. He was able to have tough discussions with us with plenty of compassion while also being thorough. ... Dr. Omertag was willing to work at the speed we wanted to go. Our previous doctor was pushing IVF when we were trying to find the root of our issues first. He was thourough and was able to find an issue with my thyroid that a previous general doctor, ob/gyn, and two other fertility specialists has missed.
The front staff [Washington U - St. Louis CWE] is amazing and fun, nurses are always great. ... IUI is around $800 for medicine, procedure, ultrasound, and trigger shot. IVF was estimated $11,500 plus medicine. ... Kathy and Jessie [nurses] are fantastic. They answer every call and are fine answering all questions I may have. They call the minute test results are in. ... I would highly recommend booking your initial appointment as early as possible
Dr. Omurtag is fantastic. He was able to have tough discussions with us with plenty of compassion while also being thorough. He answered every question we had, sometimes explaining it a few times when we were overwhelmed by information.
He’s busy because he is fantastic. He is worth the wait.
I have an upcoming IUI treatment using clomid and progesterone. I also will be on thyroid medicine to balance a deficiency.
Kathy and Jessie are fantastic. They answer every call and are fine answering all questions I may have. They call the minute test results are in.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front staff is amazing and fun, nurses are always great. I would highly recommend booking your initial appointment as early as possible, sometimes there is a wait for Dr. Omurtag, but I promise it’s worth the wait.
we have not discussed embryo transfers yet
St. Louis - Central West End
Dr. Odem has wonderful bedside manners. Makes sure we understand everything going on and answers questions thoroughly. My husband has a Male infertility factor and Dr. Odem is working alongside Dr. Johnson to see what our options are and give us percent of the chances of conceiving.... Dr. Odem started my husband on Clomid to see if that would help us conceive. Then started me on clomid as well to get a boost. We started IUI in January. First round failed, so we are trying again. Dr. Odem advised us of the percentages due to my Endo and his infertility issues.
Clinic [Wash U] is absolutely wonderful. Very clean, upscale and professional. Front desk clerks are very nice. When we went back to the room for IUI, the nurse made my husband and I feel at ease because of the atmosphere we were in and the way she talked to us in a calm manner.... Unfortunately, my insurance doesnt cover infertility. Ultrasounds are around $450 (self pay), IUI self pay is $510, if you have insurance, it is $610
If you aren't sure exactly what is going on, ask. Dr. Odem will meet all your needs during this time of trouble in your life.
Talked to my husband and I very calmly and told us he was very excited to start this journey with him. Made sure we knew what was going on and made sure to answer any questions. Will even call late at night to check on us.
Very nice and kind.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Clinic is absolutely wonderful. Very clean, upscale and professional. Front desk clerks are very nice. When we went back to the room for IUI, the nurse made my husband and I feel at ease because of the atmosphere we were in and the way she talked to us in a calm manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine.
St. Louis - Central West End

She [Dr. Keller] was sincere, helpful and understanding. I could not recommend her more. We had issues at retrieval resulting in my eggs having to be frozen and we were not able to do a fresh transfer. She did everything she could to make a hard experience more comfortable. ... She took time to explain everything to me and made me feel comfortable. ... There was no strong preference [on Eset Approach].
The clinic [Washington University - St. Louis] is great. Low wait times, great staff and an inviting atmosphere. Everyone takes the time to listen, understand your needs and is interested in knowing who you are as a person. They are always their to listen to you as a patient and look for ways to assist your needs as soon as possible. ... Denice could not be a better person or nurse. She is amazingly compassionate and quick to respond to any needs I have.
She was sincere, helpful and understanding. I could not recommend her more. We had issues at retrieval resulting in my eggs having to be frozen and we were not able to do a fresh transfer. She did everything she could to make a hard experience more comfortable.
Enjoy the tough experience of infertility with her. She is patient and understanding.
She took time to explain everything to me and made me feel comfortable.
I don't remember them to be honest. The day is a blur with everything that happened.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is great. Low wait times, great staff and an inviting atmosphere. Everyone takes the time to listen, understand your needs and is interested in knowing who you are as a person. They are always their to listen to you as a patient and look for ways to assist your needs as soon as possible.
My insurance covered a lot but it has a capped limit. I know I am close to have spent 25,000 in procedures alone and 9,700 in meds.
There was no strong preference.
St. Louis - Central West End
She [Dr. Valerie Ratts] was very honest and open to collaboration with me and what I felt comfortable with. I know she is very knowledgeable too and I trust her with my care. She has always explained things in a way that made sense and was in depth.... Since I do not ovulate decided to start with letrozole low dose to see if I could ovulate and do timed intercourse to give me a chance at the lowest intervention. I didn’t ovulate at 2.5 or 5 so increased to 7.5 and added IUI.
Everyone in the office [At Wash U] has been super nice ! They have everything in one place which is super convenient and helpful with billing! They get you in quickly and have great hours to work with. Flexible to find you the best pricing for things as well.... The nurses are amazing so helpful so responsive! They are always able to answer my questions by asking the doctor and replying quickly! It is beyond great how they have been with treatment.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
She was very honest and open to collaboration with me and what I felt comfortable with. I know she is very knowledgeable too and I trust her with my care. She has always explained things in a way that made sense and was in depth.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
To ask questions and advocate for self
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Always prompt to respond and answer any question I have
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone in the office has been super nice ! They have everything in one place which is super convenient and helpful with billing! They get you in quickly and have great hours to work with. Flexible to find you the best pricing for things as well
Describe the costs associated with your care under Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine.
IUI is $510 for private pay ultrasounds $270
Valerie Ratts
St. Louis - Central West End

She [Dr. Emily Jungheim] was kind, warm and respectfulWe used Letrozole and timed intercourse. I had two chemical pregnancies and miscarriages...She was knowledgeable and easy to talk to. She explained things thoroughly to make sure I understood well. She listened to me, heard my questions and concerns and took time to understand us well. She intentionally asked us what our goals and expectations were which relieved us right away.
There are a lot of patients that come in and out [at Washington University School of Medicine]. The front desk staff was slow to check people in and sometimes forgot but the medical assistants and nurses were very nice and very responsive. They quickly responsed to my questions and concerns...We used Letrozole and timed intercourse. I had two chemical pregnancies and miscarriages.
Know what you are willing to do to get what you want and have questions ready.
She was kind, warm and respectful
They were attentive and very responsive to my calls and emails
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There are a lot of patients that come in and out. The front desk staff was slow to check people in and sometimes forgot but the medical assistants and nurses were very nice and very responsive. They quickly responsed to my questions and concerns.
No concerns
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Not applicable
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
Forgot to call in a med once. It was quickly resolved.
St. Louis - Central West End
[Dr. Sarah Keller's]Strengths- knowledgeable, kind, informative...After a fertility test, she recommended fibroid surgery. After surgery, she did further tests and recommended polyp removal. Each surgery has improved my quality of life greatly! No baby yet. We plan to continue surgeries and IVF after Covid-19 dies down...
[staff of Washington University School of Medicine]They are really good communicators. I never feel like a number. They’ve never messed up with billing and they’re always gracious...they are really good at drawing blood and they are very kind in the process...[nurses]They’re thorough and amazing...The costs are minimal, we have good insurance
Strengths- knowledgeable, kind, informative Weakness- It’s a lot to ask but I wish she understood a bit better how to relate to a 40-something very pro-life, patient. Some words are very triggering like “Viable fetus” or “products of conception”. A simple study of semantics could help patients process difficult news a bit better. Again, no judgment here, just a suggestion...She’s awesome!
Listen to her advice, she’s a professional who cares.
She’s amazing! I love Dr. Keller. She’s brilliant, informative, and helpful
They’re thorough and amazing!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They’re clean and organized. They are really good communicators. I never feel like a number. They’ve never messed up with billing and they’re always gracious. Also, I have very little veins. And they are really good at drawing blood and they are very kind in the process. You’ll love it!
The costs are minimal, we have good insurance. The fertility stuff isn’t covered so we are preparing for that big financial hit.
No comments

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
After my 3rd iui all she [Dr. Sarah Keller] said she could offer was ivf that was around 16,000. We cannot afford it...so we gave up on a sibling for our son...It was just like ivf was my only choice. I had a small amount of endo on my laparoscopy with hsg showed blockage on one tube then and 2 hsg test showed normal tubes. Uterine biopsy was neg...Clomid 100mg with time sex. Femara treatments with iui and without. One hsg shot...
Iui was around 380 and went up to 580 [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Ivf was around 16,000 to 25,000 I was told...Cost high...Nurse and doctor nice...U feel like a number and they are just rotating u through the door and taking ur money...I would have the nurse or resident do my iui and they did not always have answers to my questions...During our last iui, after they sent my husband sperm to the lab we waited over 2hr to get my iui. I felt like they just wanted more and more money. Then they increased the iui cost. After my 3rd iui all she said she could offer was ivf that was around 16,000. We cannot afford it...so we gave up on a sibling for our son.
The clinic needed to run smoother, dont forget about your patients. Offer a second opinion at no cost would be great or if they brought in another doctors opinion. I felt like I was up a creek with no paddle. It was just like ivf was my only choice. I had a small amount of endo on my laparoscopy with hsg showed blockage on one tube then and 2 hsg test showed normal tubes. Uterine biopsy was neg. I am at a loss and our marriage has suffered due to money.
Get straight answers to your whys.
Waiting waiting
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Cost high Nurse and doctor nice U feel like a number and they are just rotating u through the door and taking ur money. I would have the nurse or resident do my iui and they did not always have answers to my questions.
Iui was around 380 and went up to 580. Ivf was around 16,000 to 25,000 I was told

Embryo Freezing
Dr. Jungheim constantly has our best interest at heart. You can tell she genuinely cares about my husband and I's struggle with infertility and she is constantly finding ways/different options for us to make it possible to have a baby...She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there...personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I
They sometimes offer drinks [at Washington University School of Medicine] while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
Dr. Jungheim cares for her patients. She has personally called me before, spending 30+ minutes on the phone, talking about diagnoses and the treatment plan from there. She makes me feel like she cares about me and my need to have a baby. My husband and I are both CF carriers, so we determined, along with Dr. Jungheim that PGD/PGS would have to be done to ensure that the CF gene is not passed along to our children. Long story short, insurance DENIED the PGD/PGS, however Dr. Jungheim personally called our insurance company and fought with them explaining why this step in the IVF process is medically necessary for my husband and I, to only have my insure company approve it. I strongly believe Dr. Jungheim would do this for any of her patients and I know that she cares for me.
See her, if you are facing infertility. She will not only figure out the best course of treatment for you, but will fight for you, until she finds something that will work. She is constantly willing to think of new ways to help my husband and I and she explains everything, in and out, regardless of how long it takes. There is never a rush with her, while she is talking to me, and that makes me feel so important.
First, Dr. Jungheim felt it to be necessary to get a genetic screening on me, as my husband was already a known CF carrier. We all thought nothing of it, that I would be fine, but the screening did also say I was a CF carrier as well. Dr. Jungheim is the one to make that call, and I can't think her enough for it, as we could have passed that disease along and it would've been awful. So, we are currently in the middle of the PGD/PGS development. We spoke with Dr. Jungheim about 3 weeks ago, regarding the details, as we cannot proceed with any cycles until we get confirmation that the development was complete, however it could be at anytime now. So, she put me on birth control at that time. This will help knowing right where I am in my cycle, so we are able to start/stop things if needed right away. She also put me on a prenatal vitamin just to help get my body ready. Once the development of the PGD/PGS is confirmed, I will start my medication for stimulation. cannot remember exactly which ones I will be on, but I know she said roughly I will be on meds for about 14 days before the egg retrieval. From there, the embryos will be made and grow for 6 days. At that time, the surviving embryos will be biopsied and frozen. The biopsies themselves will be sent to the company for the PGD/PGS and we will wait about 2 weeks to hear if any of those embryos are medically clear for transfer. If there are more than 1, we will keep them frozen, as we are only implanting one.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kate, Melanie)
All of the nursing staff at the office is great. They are usually very quick on calling back, to answer questions. My clinic also has an online patient portal, and if I get impatient, I also write them via the portal, and they are also quick to respond on that as well. They are all very sweet, and just like Dr. Jungheim, I can tell that they care for the patients.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are always on time, and if they rent, they are sure to update me and apologize. They sometimes offer drinks while we wait, if it is going to be a a while. The office, patient rooms, and labs are all very clean. The front desk women are always very nice and courteous. I cannot think of a weakness, unless some want to count the occasional phone call missed or the clinic running behind, but again, they always update us and things happen.
I am still in the procees, so no bills have come to us yet. I have had a Saline Sonogram, which the bill was around $2,000, but I only had to pay $35 after inuracne. I do know that the PGD/PGS development will cost around $6,000, meds will cost anywhere between $3,500-$4,500 and the IVF procedures themselves which also have to include ICSI, freezing of the embryos, etc will be about $10,000, if not more.
Dr. Jungheim, and the rest of her clinic, are very reluctant on transferring multiple embryos. Of course, it depends on the mothers age, and other health concerns, but for me, Dr. Jungheim explained that I am otherwise healthy and also with my husband and I having to go through PGD/PDS, there is a high likelyhood that the one embryo that we implant, will take. I fully trust herin this. Dr. Jugheim explained, that transferring 2 embryos does not necessarily increase the risk of pregnancy, as if one embryo wants to take, it'll take, but transferring two embryos does increase the chance for multiples, which then becomes high risk.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jimenez and her staff has made us feel comfortable and are so attentive. They treat you like family! They are always accessible and are there for you! I can’t say enough about how much we appreciate her staff! They go above and beyond for their patients and their dream for a family!!... She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night.
The entire clinic staff [Washington University] is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!... Given we had no fertility coverage, we were always made aware of the out of pocket costs for everything. There was never any cost surprises. They made sure we had and knew all our options in regards to the cost and financing.
She takes the time to answer all your questions and address all your concerns. If we got home and forgot questions or concerns she was an email away and always got back to us quickly either same day or next day if we emailed at night. She worked with us as far as timing for our IUIs. We drove 2 hrs to see her. She always made us feel more like family instead of a patient!!
Definitely be prepared to hear a lot of information. She covers everything and is very thorough! Take paper with you to jot down notes if you’d like.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
They are all amazing!! Very attentive! They treated us like family! They went above and beyond!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The entire clinic staff is very helpful and friendly from the minute to walk in to the second you leave!! Great communication!! I can’t think of any weaknesses. It truly is an incredible staff! They are patient and if they didn’t know the answer to my question, they were able to get me to someone who did very easily!!
I’m 38 and she was comfortable with a 2 embryo transfer. It was more up to me to decide after considering risks and benefits.
Patricia Jimenez
St. Louis - Central West End

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
I expect a response within a day but these girls [staff at Washington University School of Medicine] are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!...I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization...It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
YES! He is great at what he does and you can tell in his heart he wants to help you get pregnant!
From the beginning, Dr. Omurtag was kind, easy to talk to and very thorough. His staff reflects this, they are just as incredible! He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that. Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!
He gave me options, we could very aggressive and go straight to invitro or go a slower route. I decided to go an even slower route than what he offered which he was completely supportive of! Month 1 consisted of starting thyroid medicine and having my tubes flushed, then me and my husband trying spontaneously. If that did not work the next month I was going to start Clomid but we did not get to that point :) He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessie and Kathy)
Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done! I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There's not much to say about this. It's a clinic and I loved my doctor and his nurses! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
My us and tube cleaning was not covered by my insurance, it was 280 for the u/s and 720 for the tube cleaning.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

He’s like a father figure, he’s direct but warm. He [Dr. Odem] is a straight shooter, has tons of experience and cares about your emotions. My best interest was always at hand. He did 5 rounds of high dose estrogen and 5 hysterscopies in 5 months. One each month. I never felt rushed, never felt like a number. He would sit with us until we understood everything.... So he was treating me for ashermans syndrome. He suggested hysterscopies to clear the scar tissue out.
Very nice large lobby. Front desk staff [WashU] Check you in quickly, warm, kind. The office rooms are clean, organized. Once you enter from the lobby they take you back to whatever the procedure is. They have the ability to do a lot in house. I believe some procedures are done at the hospital but the location is easy to get in and out of and very clean, easy to navigate.... He [Dr. Odem] tells you the facts but still comes hopeful and willing to go far. He will also sometimes keep going if you request it but has ethics
He’s like a father figure, he’s direct but warm. He is a straight shooter, has tons of experience and cares about your emotions. My best interest was always at hand. He did 5 rounds of high dose estrogen and 5 hysterscopies in 5 months. One each month. I never felt rushed, never felt like a number. He would sit with us until we understood everything. Outline what to expect our options. I even discussed transferring care to 2 different providers out of state and he was supportive but shares his opinion.
Ask as many questions as you need, be transparent, share all your thoughts. He’ll help you work it out.
You feel like he’s in it with you. He tells you the facts but still comes hopeful and willing to go far. He will also sometimes keep going if you request it but has ethics and will tell you when to stop. He’s called me after hours, answers all my questions and cares.
So he was treating me for ashermans syndrome. He suggested hysterscopies to clear the scar tissue out. I did 3 under general anesthesia and 2 awake. I preferred being awake I recovered quicker. He would have me do high doses of estrogen for about a month and then stop, start progesterone for a withdrawal bleed. Then we would repeat.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Very nice large lobby. Front desk staff Check you in quickly, warm, kind. The office rooms are clean, organized. Once you enter from the lobby they take you back to whatever the procedure is. They have the ability to do a lot in house. I believe some procedures are done at the hospital but the location is easy to get in and out of and very clean, easy to navigate.
I work for wash u so my copays are half and washu just put fertility on the benefits package so we get 10,000 dollars towards fertility treatment but it’s out of pocket cost.
St. Louis - Central West End

You will not see her [Dr. Valerie Ratts] for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.... My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left.
Costs for IVF [at Wash U] range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
I love have Dr. Rattes for a doctor. I wish a cycle would have worked, but she continues to look for ways to adjust the cycle. She is a caring human being would will have the difficult conversations when needed.
You will not see her for ever visit during an actual treatment cycle. The doctors work on rotation so any of the doctors could be doing the retrieval and transfer. I always fell on a different doctors rotation and absolutely loved them all.
Dr. Ratts will personally call you following a failed cycle after the team has met. She will answer any questions you have and discuss the next treatment options. Also, during treatment or consultation if my husband and I had questions while we were in the office, she would sit down to help answer them even if our time was over.
My first cycle was a fresh 3 day transfer. I went in for many visits to monitor egg growth and lining checks. Once I had the retrieval, I was called in for a 3 day transfer to transfer 2 embryos. They gave us the option for 1, but we chose 2 on the doctors recommendations. The cycle failed. The next cycle was a frozen transfer. Not all our embryos made it to day 5. We had 1 left. Cycle was much easier. Took estradiol before and then progesterone after transfer. The cycle also failed. I did a second retrieval, 3rd transfer (2nd fresh). Cycle was much like the First only the stemmed harder to try for more eggs. More eggs were immature and didn’t get to be fertilized. 2 embryos transferred on fresh cycle day 3. Failed. No embryos survived to 5 days.
Anytime I had any questions at all, I could call and I would hear back with them. They worked with me to figure out if I needed to order extra meds the closer I got to retrieval/transfer so that I didn’t waste a ton of money (it always fell at a weekend). She was great all around. Very helpful and calmed my nerves many times.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
During cycle, you could see any doctor depending who is on rotation. They work together and they work around the patients cycle, not a M-F schedule. For appointments to check lining, eggs, and blood, appts would take maybe 5-10 min. It took me longer to drive there than to actually have an appt. I was always able to go back to work so I wasn’t loosing all my sick days.
Costs for IVF range from 12-15,000 for a retrieval and fresh transfer. I went through a place in CA to finance and provide cost for 1 fresh, 1 frozen for less than in office. The second fresh, frozen we purchased I lost out on some of the $ I had paid in due to not having any embryos survive to 5 days for a frozen transfer. The clinic had the money but since it was contractually linked to the fresh cycle, it is not allowed to be applied to future cycles.
Valerie Ratts