4444 Forest Park Avenue
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Jungheim is very helpful and was extremely comforting while dealing with my many miscarriages as well as a complication during my ivf cycle. She checked up on me numerous times and has remained positive and very supportive... Don't spend too long doing IUI before moving to IVF. Dr Jungheim encouraged me to move to IVF but was supportive when I wasn't ready. I now wish I had moved on sooner.
The clinic [Washington University Medical Center] is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.... Nikki [a nurse] is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
How was your experience with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Jungheim is very caring and cares for me personally.
Describe the protocols Emily Jungheim used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We did clomid and IUI for several cycles. Then we did a long agonist cycle starting with a month of oral contraceptives then adding Lupron, gonal F and menopur. That cycle resulted in a miscarriage. I now am undergoing a frozen embryo transfer cycle with estrogen and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Nikki is great and regularly calls me to communicate follow up and next steps in the process. She was also very nice when I was going through my miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is nice and easy to access in terms of location and parking. The front desk staff are nice and helpful. They were also very supportive and kind when I was dealing with a lost.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Emily Jungheim at Washington University School of Medicine.
I paid 383$ for each IUI cycle. We paid a total of around $12 k for our IVF cycle with an additional $4k for prescriptions. We have no IVF or infertility coverage.
Describe Emily Jungheim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
She prefers and counsels in favor of elective single embryo transfer in my age group but is very receptive to whatever the patient wants to do.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag and his nurse Kathy were always available to assist and answer any questions we had. They are very personable and help to make a somewhat scary experience seem painless and easy... He takes him time with his patients and lets you know exactly what to expect along the way. Even if he was unavailable all the other doctors were familiar with our protocol and were also always available to assist...Dr. Omurtag put us on a long protocol with a month of birth control in the beginning. After the birth control we did injectibles with medrol, Gonal F and one more drug i can't remember to stimulate the ovaries. WE had one retrieval where we retrieved 19 eggs. Four of those successfully made it to Blastocyte stage.
They [Washington University School of Medicine] always work you in if there is an emergency. The wait times are very low and the entire staff was wonderful. The Phlebotomist and Ultrasound techs were all very nice and easy to work with as well...We did financing through ARC and did the One Plus Program. The total cost for us was just over $20,000...Kathy was wonderful to work with and very understanding. She was my go to with all my questions and always made me feel at ease.
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Omurtag was great to work with. He takes him time with his patients and lets you know exactly what to expect along the way. Even if he was unavailable all the other doctors were familiar with our protocol and were also always available to assist.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Ask questions
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They always work you in if there is an emergency. The wait times are very low and the entire staff was wonderful. The Phlebotomist and Ultrasound techs were all very nice and easy to work with as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Our odds were good for success so my husband and I selected to only have one transferred each time. That was also the Dr.'s recommendation based on our age (under 35) and other medical factors.

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Jungheim was nice but kept pushing IVF as an only option for my treatment. She only wanted to do 3 IUIs and move on to IVF. I really felt like there were other options for me that were less expensive. Also i didnt like the fact the nurses did the IUIs and not the doctor...When i first saw her we did 3 rounds of clomid and tried timing intercourse...Feb 2017 took femara again started monitoring with US. Did US too late and missed ovulation. No IUI performed.
I honestly do not have a lot to say about this office. Everyone was professional but definitely did not get any warm and fuzzy feelings from them. The techs that drew blood were always very nice and very good at their job...Dr Jungheim was nice but kept pushing IVF as an only option for my treatment. She only wanted to do 3 IUIs and move on to IVF. I really felt like there were other options for me that were less expensive. Also i didnt like the fact the nurses did the IUIs and not the doctor
When i first saw her we did 3 rounds of clomid and tried timing intercourse. Then jan 2017 started femara preparing for IUI and told me to take OPKs starting day 10. Took them through day 20 and no positive test. They did an US and confirmed ovulation. No IUI performed. Feb 2017 took femara again started monitoring with US. Did US too late and missed ovulation. No IUI performed. March 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test May 2017 took femara got ovulation and IUI completed. Negative pregnancy test. Contacted her in July 2017 and suggested that maybe my progesterone was too low and asked for her to take blood work throughout my cycle and she refused. That is when i decided to leave her practice and seek help elsewhere.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I had a $10k benefit towards Wash U doctors so i had insurance coverage i only had a $50 copay for each of the 2 IUIs that were performed.
St. Louis - Central West End
I live in Illinois...Dr. Omurtag and his staff welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available...Dr. Omurtag was very caring. I dont have a single complaint. He put together a program and walked me through everything from day one. He had a positive attitude and was very clear on the goal. My experience was amazing and I would go back to him if I ever needed to have another treatment. If he wasnt able to follow uo with me he had a one of a kind staff that was kind made sure all your needs were met.
Dr. Omurtag and his staff [at Washington U - CWE] welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available...[nURSES] Kathy and Jessie were on top of all my needs. They would call and check up on me, were prompt with calling me with my results. Jessie was on top of all my lab work that was done in illinois so i didnt have to travel to st louis for my labs. They were so kind and amazing.
I live in Illinois and there is 1 fertility doctor in my area that has a horrible rep. Dr. Omurtag and his staff welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available. I would travel the 2hrs regulary if I had too just to get the care that I got from his office.
Dr Omurtag set a plan for me in May 2017. We had a few tests done and was but on fertility medication in June. July 2017 i had my first IUI and found out that I was pregnant 2wks later. He saw me at wk 7 and stated that he would release back to my illinois doctor but if i ever needed anything to let him know.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy and Jessie)
St. Louis - Central West End
Dr Omurtag and his staff were amazing throughout the whole process. Calling them compassionate does not do them justice. We lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks due to Turner syndrome and Dr Omurtag and his staff were so supportive. We would not be pregnant right now if it weren’t for them. I could not give them a higher recommendation....I trust him implicitly and I would recommend him to my closest loved ones. He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals.
Dr Omurtag and his staff [at Washington U - CWE] were amazing throughout the whole process. Calling them compassionate does not do them justice....He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals....I have never Experienced a more compassionate and professional medical team. Each time we came in for a regular appointment for procedure we were treated with kindness compassion and dignity
Like I said previously in the survey I have never Experienced a more compassionate and professional medical team. Each time we came in for a regular appointment for procedure we were treated with kindness compassion and dignity. Having lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks we were absolutely devastated. That being said, Dr. Omurtag and his staff showed more compassion than I can possibly explain. He got us back in the saddle and now we are pregnant with what will be hopefully our second daughter or first son. I trust him implicitly and I would recommend him to my closest loved ones. He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals.
Do not waste your time worrying about whether or not Dr. Omurtag and his team are right for you because I will tell you that you will not and cannot find any better in their field. They are amazing!

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Keller is warm and compassionate, she talks to us and not at us. She lets us know exactly what to expect each visit. She is also very thorough and detail oriented. You can tell she really wants you to succeed...She and her staff truly care about me/my husband and our success...I will be starting injections at the end of April and hopefully by the end of may we will be doing the transfer of embryos
So far the clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] has been amazing. They are thorough and make sure we are right on track. They provide a class for anyone going through IVF to let them know in detail what to expect with their cycles...Amy is very detail oriented and is there to answer any additional questions we have. If we call and she has to call us back she is very prompt and ready with the answers...I will be starting injections at the end of April and hopefully by the end of may we will be doing the transfer of embryos
How was your experience with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
Ask questions, don't worry if you think they are "dumb", the doctor is happy to answer all question and make sure you are well informed. No question is a dumb question.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine?
She and her staff truly care about me/my husband and our success.
Describe the protocols Sarah Keller used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We are doing are on our first official cycle. I will be starting injections at the end of April and hopefully by the end of may we will be doing the transfer of embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
So far the clinic has been amazing. They are thorough and make sure we are right on track. They provide a class for anyone going through IVF to let them know in detail what to expect with their cycles. Two thumbs up to the clinic. They are amazing!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sarah Keller at Washington University School of Medicine.
Not sure.
Sarah Keller
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Odem is very knowledgeable and very thorough. I trust his experience and opinions. It felt, at times, that what we talked about and what was communicated to the nurses and staff was not on the same page. ... I used a microdose Lupron flare protocol with very high doses of Menopur and gonal f. I ended up with a cancelled cycle and moving forward with an IUI instead due to poor response to the medications.
There is poor comic nation between the doctor and staff [at Wash U]. I was told I could start the IVF cycle on my next cycle and when I called the nurse wondering about what I needed to do, it was not known that I would be on the next cycle. They lacked direction and communication on what the proper steps are and how their flow works.... the monitoring times felt like a heard of cattle waiting to move from one room to the next.
How was your experience with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr Odem is very knowledgeable and very thorough. I trust his experience and opinions. It felt, at times, that what we talked about and what was communicated to the nurses and staff was not on the same page. I very much respect Dr Odem and feel he is a great doctor but I did not feel he was the best doctor for treating a patient with Diminished Ovarian Reserve.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
You need to be your own advocate in this clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine?
I rarely saw Dr Odem and the monitoring times felt like a heard of cattle waiting to move from one room to the next.
Describe the protocols Randall Odem used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
My coordinator was amazing and very compassionate. Crystal helped me navigate all of the steps needed.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There is poor comic nation between the doctor and staff. I was told I could start the IVF cycle on my next cycle and when I called the nurse wondering about what I needed to do, it was not known that I would be on the next cycle. They lacked direction and communication on what the proper steps are and how their flow works.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Randall Odem at Washington University School of Medicine.
Nothing specific
Describe Randall Odem's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
No comment
Randall Odem
St. Louis - Central West End
Instead of seeing a PA or a NP for the initial consultation, I met with Dr. Omurtag and he completed every step of the appointment. Since then, he has always been directly involved in the care that occurred at the appointments....Dr. Omurtag was willing to work with my husband and I as we struggled with insurance coverage through the state of Illinois. There was not a time that he was unwilling to consider alternative treatment options to meet our needs of starting a family....
The clinic [Wash U - Mo Bap] did not have a long waiting list, which was extremely important to me as time was not on our side. They are always willing to discuss appointments and information when I would call outside the appointments....Instead of seeing a PA or a NP for the initial consultation, I met with Dr. Omurtag and he completed every step of the appointment. Since then, he has always been directly involved in the care that occurred at the appointments.
Ask as many questions you would like, he is very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic did not have a long waiting list, which was extremely important to me as time was not on our side. They are always willing to discuss appointments and information when I would call outside the appointments.
I am unsure of the actual costs from the treatments thus far. But I am a state of Illinois insurance carrier and he was more than willing to work with us even in the condition of the state of Illinois and not receiving payment for services. Other options were available to us.
2015 - 2017, Successful
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] is quick and to the point and always asks my partner how she feels. He even called after the baby was born to congratulate us and see how we were doing. He remembers your name and creates personal conversation with you. Where are you from....what do you like and dislike. Really an awesome down to earth guy...Everything was timing related. If there was an option he would clearly lay out the pros and cons and then let you decide. Very knowledgeable
The service there [Washington University] was always amazing. As many patients as they have...I always felt like I was the only one everytime...You always get a call back the same day you leave a message. I've always been able to get good appts and they always describe what to expect prior to arrival. Waiting time is very minimal. Front desk is always super nice and personable...Everyone is friendly and seems to know their job. They are always busy but never seem stressed. They always speak or smile no matter what
He is quick and to the point and always asks my partner how she feels. He even called after the baby was born to congratulate us and see how we were doing. He remembers your name and creates personal conversation with you. Where are you from....what do you like and dislike. Really an awesome down to earth guy
Trust him
The service there was always amazing. As many patients as they have...I always felt like I was the only one everytime
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Washington University School of Medicine.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I am military and had to pay out of pocket for all of my services
I had the option to move 2 due to my age. We discussed it and I ultimately said you are the dr. If this was you...what would you do. We got our answer and made our decision and everything worked out wonderfully
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

Dr. Jungheim made sure to explain everything to us. When a cycle failed, she showed us complete compassion and understood our concerns. She made sure she addressed any concerns we had and answered every question. She is kind and trustworthy!... Everyone at the office listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!
Everyone at the office [Wash U] listens to any concerns I have and answers questions without hesitation. They take their time in explaining everything and make sure I am comfortable and understand. I've never been treated with so much care and compassion by any doctor's office like I have at Wash U!... The nurse always made sure she got back to me in a timely manner. She answered any questions I had and if she wasn't sure, she made sure to ask Dr. Jungheim and then she got back to me immediately. She is always very kind, calm, and patient. She showed us nothing but compassion through the whole process!
Address any questions or concerns you have

2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Omurtag] was always quick to respond to our questions and concerns. Very reassuring and sympathetic to all the emotions on the roller coaster ride of infertility. I could tell he really wanted us to be successful....We are still in the middle of treatment but so far he has been honest and encouraging with us. We had some setbacks in not getting the number of follicles we hoped for and he talked us through our options. He was honest but also hopeful.
It's a bigger clinic [Washington U - CWE] so you don't see your doctor at every visit but we still had access to communicate with him...The nursing staff was kind and compassionate. I felt well taken care of and that my questions and concerns were all addressed in a timely manner...We paid out of pocket and cost without meds was around 13,00...Don't be afraid to ask all your questions. Big and small. As patients we are allowed to advocate for ourselves
Don't be afraid to ask all your questions. Big and small. As patients we are allowed to advocate for ourselves and Dr. Omurtag is willing to answer all questions.
He was always quick to respond to our questions and concerns. Very reassuring and sympathetic to all the emotions on the roller coaster ride of infertility. I could tell he really wanted us to be successful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It's a bigger clinic so you don't see your doctor at every visit but we still had access to communicate with him.
We paid out of pocket and cost without meds was around 13,00

2017, Unknown Success
he [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] took interest in who i was and what my life was about, never had a dr so engaged in who i am as a person...He never tried to rush us or change our minds with trying a different procedure. He wanted the same outcome we wanted and that was nice to see...I first had to go through all the bloodwork and vaginal ultrasound. I was than put with a dr who would help me loose some weight. I needed to loose 60 lbs before the procedure.l can start. I was then placed on metformin and synthyroid.
[The nurses at Washington University School of Medicine are] very personable...I first had to go through all the bloodwork and vaginal ultrasound. I was than put with a dr who would help me loose some weight. I needed to loose 60 lbs before the procedure.l can start. I was then placed on metformin and synthyroid.
Dr. Omurtag took our particular situation and made us feel at ease that we were doing the best thing that fit what we wanted as parents and ad being an light patient. He never tried to rush us or change our minds with trying a different procedure. He wanted the same outcome we wanted and that was nice to see.
Be patient
Just he took interest in who i was and what my life was about, never had a dr so engaged in who i am as a person
The nurses like dr omurtag are very personable
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Go in and see, and always be patient
Cost is nothing compared to having a baby it was all worth it. Insurance covered most appt but not actual procedure
2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Omurtag was fantastic. He was very upfront on expectations and took time to talk to me after the first IVF did not take.... My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and could talk freely with him about of questions and concerns. He really took the time to make sure we understood the risks and our options. I am so blessed to have two amazing children and I could not thank him enough for all he did. I would recommend him to anyone.
With so many people coming in at the same time, they [Washington University School of Medicine] really worked to get people in and out quickly for the blood works and ultrasounds. They were well organized and showed they care. They would remember your name which was a nice added touch.... Dr. Omurtag was fantastic. He was very upfront on expectations and took time to talk to me after the first IVF did not take. He gave me all the options and helped me think through our next steps which then resulted in a birth.
Dr. Omurtag was amazing. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and could talk freely with him about of questions and concerns. He really took the time to make sure we understood the risks and our options. I am so blessed to have two amazing children and I could not thank him enough for all he did. I would recommend him to anyone.
Don’t be afraid to talk to him and get all your questions answer befor starting the process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
With so many people coming in at the same time, they really worked to get people in and out quickly for the blood works and ultrasounds. They were well organized and showed they care. They would remember your name which was a nice added touch.
St. Louis - Central West End
Emily Jungheim was a very caring and unique understanding person.. Very professional and made sure you left her with no misunderstanding!! I loved my experience with her and would choose her again!!! The nurses were extremely help, kind and understanding I just love everything about this place...My doctor made sure I understood what my choices was and what was in my best health...Felt very safe in this clinic [WashU] and would go to it again
Very friendly and understanding [Washington University Nurses] made sure my feelings came first....Had no problems with them communication was very well handled . They made sure you understood all questions and concerns!! The clinic was clean and well kept and no problems finding their location. Was going under a little construction but wasn’t a problem! Felt very safe in this clinic and would go to it again..
Listen to everything she says because she’s doing what she can to make your dreams come true!!
Very caring and friendly person
Not sure of specific in protocol but I used Lupron, Gonal F, Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
Very friendly and understanding made sure my feelings came first.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

She [Dr Emily Jungheim] met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me...Be prepared to hear the good and bad of what to expect during the infertility treatment process, which is exactly what I prefer to hear from a physician.
They [staff at Wash U Fertility] are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances...We started with Lori, with whom we felt like we developed a personal and caring relationship with. However, Lori recently moved away and we have now been working with Kathy, who has also been fantastic so far....She [Dr. Jungheim] is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as we
She is compassionate and caring. She is knowledgeable and takes time to explain potential advantages and disadvantages and is honest. I wanted a doctor who would play it straight and let us know what they truly thought of our chances of conceiving as well as one that would work with my husband and I to achieve our goals. I strongly feel that Dr. Jungheim has done just that. She has exceeded my expectations.
She met with my husband and I when it was truly needed, she suggested aggressive treatment that she believed was most necessary to achieve our intended results, and she made personal calls to me to check on my physical, emotional and mental well-being. I truly feel like she cares about me.
We did a few cycles using only fertility medications, because we wanted to see if we could conceive with as little medical intervention as possible. When that was unsuccessful, we moved on to IUI, knowing that our chances of conceiving with this ,ethos was only slightly better than naturally. Out 2 IUI cycles were unsuccessful. Then we decided to move on to IVF. The clinic holds an orientation which is very informative. We went into the process feeling like we had a good idea of what to expect. Our fresh cycle was not successful, so Dr. Jungheim encouraged us to try another cycle using frozen embryos and so far it has been successful and we couldn't be more thrilled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They are very easy to get in touch with, respond quickly and always make you feel welcomed in what can be very awkward circumstances.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
The process is efficient and flexible. They are very willing to work with your schedule and offer a range of available times to fit better with your personal needs.
I am unsure, as I was fortunate enough to have the majority of my treat,nets covered by my insurance policy.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Omurtag treated us with kindness and compassion from our very first meeting. He decisively laid out details, treatment options and plans always making it known that ultimately the decision was always ours. He never pressured us into making a decision. We never felt rushed during our appointments. Dr. O would stay as long as needed to answer all of our questions. He also called us several times in the evening and on weekends when I had additional questions or concerns about treatments or upcoming procedures. He was truly there to support us through every part of our IVF journey...
The [Wash U - CWE] clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints...The entire nursing staff always promptly returned my calls, answered my questions and took wonderful care of me during visits. They are fantastic...Do not be afraid to ask any and all questions/voice any concerns that you have with him at any time. He patiently listens and answers them all. He NEVER made us feel like a question or concern was dumb or invalid...
As described in my previous response, Dr. Omurtag always made us feel comfortable and never treated us like a number. My husband and I always felt like his descriptions and explanation of treatment options and procedures were easy to understand. It was always obvious that he knew what he was talking about and always had the data and statistics to back it up. His intelligence and success were made even more wonderful when accompanied by his amazing bedside manner. He always greeted us with a smile and an upbeat, optimistic personality. I know he puts in countless hours at the office working with couples just like us, but we never once felt rushed and he never let his exhaustion show (if it even existed at all). He followed up with us and was by our sides every step of the way. After my successful IVF cycle, I brought my son back three months after he was born because Dr. O wanted to meet him and because I missed seeing him! That is the kind of wonderful connection that he creates with his patients. He is a truly special doctor and person and we look forward to seeing him again when it is time to expand our family once more!
I went through four cycles of IUI with chlomid. None resulted in a pregnancy. We then went on to IVF. I was on oral contraceptive birth control for a month, then began the injections to prepare for my egg harvest. After my egg harvest, I had one 'day 5' embryo transferred which resulted in a pregnancy and my beautiful son. For 8 weeks following the transfer, I continued injections of progesterone to ensure proper uterine wall lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints.
We were very fortunate that my insurance covered our medical costs. I had only to pay my 1,200 out of pocked max.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy...
Everyone in this [Wash U - CWE] clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change...
As the husband, I was the cause of the infertility. Never once did I feel judged, or any less of a person because of my medical issue. Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy.
Come to each appointment with an open mind. We made a decision that, at the time, felt very difficult (using a donor sperm). Looking back, all of the anxieties were for nothing because at the end of the day, we were blessed with the birth of our beautiful child. Dr Omurtag will take care of you, so rest in that comfort.
Dr Omurtag was very kind and patient in discussing our options. He never rushed us out of the office, and took all of our considerations into account. He made sure to follow up with us, both before and after the birth of our child.
In a nutshell, we decided that the only option was to use a donor sperm. We purchased 5 vials (just to have more than enough) and began IUI. Dr. Omurtag wanted to try one cycle of IUI without Clomid. This first cycle and treatment did not result in a pregnancy. For the second cycle, Dr. O started my wife on Clomid and after the second treatment (IUI), we found out we were pregnant.
My wife met most of the nursing staff during her IUI treatments. She never once complained and was always talking about how friendly everyone was. One specific nurse (who's name I am unsure) even took the time to show compassion for what my wife was dealing with and revealed her own personal experience.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone in this clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change.
These are not exact, but the cost estimates were: IUI Treatment - Approximately 300 USD Donor Sperm - Approximately 4000 USD (5 Vials) Clomid - Unsure, but not expensive Sperm Analysis - Approximately 150 USD Test to Check Fallopian Tubes - 3000 USD (not covered with insurance)

2014 - 2016, Successful
We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health...He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging...
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly...Meredith is great. She's very bubbly and upbeat. As Dr. Omurtag's nurse, she performs IUIs and is also the primary point of contact for his IVF patients. You can contact her through Dr. Omurtag's secretary and she will always get back to your quickly...
We really enjoyed working with Dr. Omurtag. After evaluating our histories and testing, he was very confident that we would be successful, either via IUI or IVF. We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health. At this meeting, he went over our initial plan to obtain a diagnosis, including all of the testing he was ordering and when/where these procedures would be performed. Once this testing was completed, we met with him again to discuss our treatment course, which turned out to be IUI. We underwent four unsuccessful IUI cycles and then reconvened with Dr. Omurtag, who recommended proceeding with IVF. Because this was such a costly step, we asked to continue the IUI for two more cycles while we saved up the money for IVF, and he agreed. These cycles were also unsuccessful, so we met with Dr. Omurtag once again after our IVF financing was in place. At this meeting, he explained the IVF process and all of the procedures associated with it. At this practice, all IVF cases for the month are handled by a single physician on a rotating basis. This is the reason that Dr. Omurtag did not handle all of our procedures himself. However, we had a good experience with the other two physicians in the practice with whom we worked. Once we received a positive pregnancy blood work up after the fresh IVF cycle, we met with Dr. Omurtag again after our first ultrasound at 7 weeks. The baby was slightly undersized, but not alarmingly so, and Dr. Omurtag asked us to return in a week to check on the fetal growth. At that point, he felt comfortable turning us over to our OB for the remainder of the pregnancy, but encouraged us to call at any time if we had concerns, especially during the time before our first OB appointment. When I miscarried at nearly 11 weeks, Dr. Omurtag happened to be at the hospital and stopped to see us after we got the bad news. He was very compassionate, but also made sure to express his confidence that our treatment plan was good and would result in a viable pregnancy. This was very reassuring to hear on what was the worst day of our lives. When we were ready, we scheduled another meeting to discuss conducting a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag also performed a saline sonohysterogram to make sure that there were no issues that had not been visible on my HSG or other ultrasounds. He explained the differences between the fresh and frozen cycles and we proceeded (again, a different doctor performed the embryo transfer, but he was great as well). We were once again successful and transferred to the care of our OB at 8 weeks. This second pregnancy resulted in our son, born in August 2016. During all of our appointments, Dr. Omurtag was very comprehensive and understandable in all of his explanations. We were encouraged to ask questions and interrupt him for further explanation. He made us feel very comfortable and definitely made an effort to get to know us as people. He still remembers details about us and our family, even after going 8 months without seeing us. He asked us to keep the practice posted on the outcome of the pregnancy and suggested we visit after our son was born in August 2016. Before that visit, we found out that our son is a carrier for a fatal genetic condition, and Dr. Omurtag was able to give us the basics on how we would proceed if we decide to have a third child.
Trust in the process. It might seem like you are going to endless appointments, tests, scans and blood draws, but they are all necessary. Remind yourself that reproduction is incredibly inefficient and accept that you may never know the exact reason for your infertility without going through multiple cycles of medication, IUI and/or IVF. There are so many factors that it may be very difficult for the docs to pinpoint the exact cause, especially in cases of secondary infertility like ours. It was a two year process, but Dr. Omurtag was a great guide and we ended up with a child, which was the goal of the exercise.
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us and ask about our older son. He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging.
See my response from the experience question. We came to Dr. Omurtag with secondary infertility after 6 months of ovulation testing and two cycles of Clomid performed by my OB. Treatment began with an HSG and ultrasounds and bloodwork for me and a semen analysis for my husband. I was diagnosed PCO due to a slightly elevated testosterone level and high ovarian reserve. However, I don't experience any other symptoms and all other testing was normal. Because my cycles were regular and I was ovulating, and because we had successfully conceived and carried to term on our own in the past, we decided to start with IUI. Dr. Omurtag recommended four cycles, because success rates drop off sharply after four IUIs. We ended up doing six cycles, but the last two were done to increase our slim chances of conceiving while we saved up the funds and waited for IVF availability (they only accept a certain number of IVF patients each month). I was prescribed Lupron to aid in the IUI cycles. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact procedures and tests involved with each cycle, other than coming in for a mid-cycle ultrasound to check on follicle ripeness. When the scan was favorable, we scheduled a morning appointment for the IUI. My husband arrived early to provide a semen sample, which was analyzed and prepared and then transferred via a catheter by one of the nurses about an hour later. When IUI proved unsuccessful, we turned to IVF. Dr. Omurtag determined that Long GnRH agonist protocol was the best fit for us. We were required to secure financing and attend a very helpful IVF orientation before proceeding. After completing the drug regimen (which included OCP, Leuprolide, FSH, and hCG trigger), we harvested 23 eggs, 19 of which were viable. Because my husband's sperm count had varied during the IUI cycles, Dr. Omurtag decided to fertilize 10 of the eggs conventionally and 9 of them with ICSI. Only one of the eggs fertilized conventionally, but all 9 of the ICSI were successful. After 3 days of growth, we had several promising embryos, so Dr. Omurtag settled on a day 5 transfer. At that point, there were three exceptionally good transfer candidates. The decision of how many (1 or 2) to transfer was left to us. We chose 2 and one of those successfully implanted. After our miscarriage, we did a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag performed a saline sonohysterogram to ensure that there were no underlying physical issues with carrying a pregnancy that we might have missed previously (and to ensure that the products of the miscarriage had all been expelled). I'm unable to locate all of my paperwork from this cycle for some reason, but I know that the drug regimen was much less intense and there were fewer injectables. The frozen embryo transfer was again successful and this time I carried to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith Woody)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. With the exception of Drs. Omurtag and Odom, all of the staff are female. Prospective patients should know that this is a very large practice with many patients; you may need to be proactive if you're the kind of person who wants to meet directly with your physician regularly. My husband and I felt very comfortable with the staff and our nurse, who was very organized and provided us with lots of detailed written and verbal instructions for our procedures, so not seeing Dr. Omurtag regularly didn't bother us. As stated elsewhere in this review, be aware that the practice doctors take turns handling IVF cases on a monthly basis, so your doctor may not perform your egg retrieval and/or embryo transfer. Your nurse remains the same throughout. Please know that although all of these procedures and protocols seem very intimidating at first, you will receive all the information you need to successfully complete your treatment. The IVF orientation is great, your nurse is available to answer any questions, and detailed information packets are provided every step of the way. If you are doing IUI, be aware that you may need to wait awhile, due to the size of the practice and the unpredictability of patients' cycles. If you do IVF, you may need to wait a cycle or two to get on the schedule. As a working mom, I appreciated that most of the office visits could be done in the morning.
I believe each IUI cycle cost around $600. We financed the IVF cycles through ARC, where we paid $15,000 to cover a fresh and a frozen cycle. Medications were an additional expenses, but a relatively low cost with my insurance. All diagnostic testing was covered under our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
On one occasion, our nurse forgot to call in a medication that was time-sensitive. It was the weekend, but we were able to reach the doctor on call through the after hours line and she called in the prescription. It was partially my fault, as I did not check the bag of prescriptions thoroughly when I picked them up earlier in the week, and did not catch the mistake until the office was closed.
St. Louis - Central West End

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag0 is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan... Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo.
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!... They have many strengths in professionalism, knowledge, communication, and compassion. I cannot think of any weaknesses that I experienced. I highly recommend this clinic to everyone.
He is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan.
Trust him.
He was always honest and direct, but would not use medical terms that a normal person would not know. His explanations were always very clear. He is very professional, but always made us feel like he cared.
Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo. We did full ICSI. We did not conceive. On our second round, we did a Luteal Estradiol Antagonist protocol, eliminating birth control and Lupron completely. We eliminated supressants because I didn't respond well to the first cycle. I took ovulation tests until I ovulated, then a week later, I started estrogen for 5 days to prime my ovaries. At the start of my period, took 150IU of Menopur, and 225IU Gonal F for seven days. Then added in 250IU of Cetrotide for an additional three days. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 were mature, and 2 fertilized into embryos with full ICSI again. We conceived and are currently pregnant.
Kathy was brand new during my second cycle, so I had to really stay on her if I needed something done. I attribute this to growing pains in a new organization. She was always friendly. The nursing staff is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
We were fortunate enough to have 2 rounds mostly covered by insurance. We just had to pay for the more expensive of the medications. A round including medications does cost about $20,000 usually.
I believe his approach was correct with our results.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes...Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so...She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself...
it is the doctor who is on call [at Washington University School of Medicine] for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you...After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's...I conveniently could do monitoring appointments right before work. It operated well. Sometimes I wouldn't have to wait at all, sometimes I'd have to wait 10 minutes. The techs who did the monitoring were great.
Dr. Jungheim has the exact bedside manner that I love. She is warm, friendly, compassionate, and deeply caring. Also, as a scientist, I wanted to know the research that exists about treatment options, and Dr. Jungheim was honest and forthright about the research that is out there and the research that has yet to be done. She approaches treatment from an evidence based perspective, which is important to me. And she was honest. If I asked a question to which there wasn't any good research out there to provide an answer, she would tell me so. When there was truly no way to know the biological reason our first IVF cycle didn't work, she was honest about that and told me so. I hear stories of other doctors telling patients guesses as to why things worked a certain way, when there is actually no real way for them to know. Some patients find comfort in that, but that is not what I want. I want a doctor who does not have inflated confidence about what they know, and is informed about the actual research to give me that information. She even pointed me to the original research articles, so I could read them myself. Dr. Jungheim is fantastic. If I move away from St. Louis and need to do IVF again, I plan to go back to her!
Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. She will take the time for you.
Dr. Jungheim was warm and seemed so invested in our story. She would take the time (sometimes over an hour) to meet with us and talk us through every detail of the procedures and possible outcomes The staff at the clinic were also very nice and friendly and would clearly remember me. I got to know some of the staff pretty well and we would chat about my work and their lives.
We have unexplained infertility, which led us to start with IUI. When that didn't work, we moved on to IVF. My first cycle was an antagonist protocol, which was chosen for several reasons. One is that it is one of the most successful protocols for unexplained infertility in my age group at this clinic. Another is that I had a huge needle phobia, and this protocol involves fewer injections compared to the other option she would consider. We also did what they call "partial" ICSI. Since there were no known male factor issues or egg quality issues for us, the clinic used ICSI on half of my eggs in order to test the fertilization rate for ICSI vs. not. It turned out that the fertilization rate was equal, so it didn't seem that ICSI was truly necessary for us. Many clinics automatically do ICSI no matter what, however, there are some small risks of doing ICSI if you don't need to. So, this partial ICSI approach is like an experiment to see if I needed it, which would be useful for future decisions if this cycle didn't work. Then, the clinic watches the embryos and makes a decision on day 3 as to whether to do a day 3 or day 5 transfer of 1 or 2 embryos. They have certain criteria that they want to meet in order to push the transfer to day 5. I did not meet that criteria, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. Unfortunately, this cycle failed. The second cycle chosen was a long agonist protocol with Lupron. I also inquired about an endometrial scratch test. Dr. Jungheim told me that the evidence for the scratch is strictly correlational right now, but promising. In fact, the clinic was conducting a clinical trial to test the efficacy of the scratch at that time. Dr. Jungheim told me that if I wanted to do the scratch, I certainly could. So, I did. Ouchie. Then, we did not use ICSI this cycle given the fertilization rate of the previous cycle. And we had the same rate of fertilization. Again, the embryos did not meet criteria for a day 5 transfer, so we transferred 2 embryos on day 3. This cycle worked!!! We now have a 7.5 month old son, who is the light of our lives.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lori, but I think she is gone now)
I did not love my nurse. But I am pretty sure she is not there anymore. And I have heard that the new nurse is great.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic uses a team approach. So, Dr. Jungheim was my primary doctor who I met with for consultations and corresponded with about my treatment plan and results. But, she was not the doctor who performed the embryo retrieval and transfer. Instead, it is the doctor who is on call for that week who performs the procedures. I had Dr. Ratts and Dr. Odem and they were both great. So, if you are comfortable with that type of approach, this would work for you. The thing I like about it is that you effectively get 5 second opinions because the team meets every week to discuss their patients and make decisions. After my first IVF cycle failed, they met to discuss the next steps for me. I liked knowing that I was getting 5 opinions in addition to Dr. Jungheim's.
Each IUI cost $400, and each round of IVF cost ~$15,000
The Washington University clinic as a whole wants to avoid multiples while maximizing live births. So they make decisions about the number of embryos to transfer based on each individual case, and I think they make very good decisions. We transferred 2 embryos and ended up with a singleton pregnancy, so I am very glad we didn't transfer 1.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand...His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease...At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
This clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!...My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000.
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand. As an example, I felt uncomfortable with an SHG and trial transfer that we allowed a Fellow perform under his guidance, and Dr. Omurtag distracted me with talking about everyday things, like baseball, which I enjoy.
The advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Omurtag would be to speak up and ask questions - even if you feel it's a dumb question - there are NO dumb questions to him! He's very knowledgeable, so use that to help you make an informed decision about your fertility journey.
Dr. Omurtag is a very sincere and respectful physician. His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Dr. Omurtag put me on the Long GnRH Agonist regimen. It went over 2 menstrual cycles, utilizing birth control pills beginning on CD4 (preventing pregnancy) until all active pills were taken. On CD 21, I started 20 units of Lupron ( to block ovulation) for 21 days. I started my period around this time, beginning the second cycle of the long regimen. I had an ultrasound and estradiol check to confirm suppression. Then in cycle 2, I used varying doses of Gonal F and Menopur (to stimulate my ovaries to make follicles.) Gonal F started on CD6 at 225iu, then decreased to 150iu on CD9 until last dose on CD15. I started 75iu of Menopur on CD9 through CD12. One day of 150iu of Menopur on CD13, then 75iu CD14 through CD15. I stopped all meds on CD16 for my retrieval on CD18. At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
The nursing staff for Dr. Omurtag were excellent! I don't feel like I was rushed through or felt that I was just another number. They were very friendly and supportive through the whole process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!
My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000. I also sought out rebates, coupons, etc, to help off-set those medicine costs.
Dr Omurtag seemed okay with my decision to transfer 2 embryos, informing me of the risks/benefits and not trying to persuade me either way. He was quite supportive. However, on the day of the transfer, another doctor (Dr. Randal Odem) performed it because he was being on call that week. He double checked with me and my decision to do two, informing me one last time of benefits/risks of transferring two, but I backed out and only had them transfer one embryo. I went on to have a successful singleton pregnancy and live birth of this fresh cycle.
St. Louis - Central West End

I think we only saw Dr. Ratts maybe twice out of the many many visits that we made there. And I don't know that we ever actually spoke to her on the phone in between visits....She just was very hard to get ahold of, and I felt like she really didn't know that much about us or really want or try to get to know us personally. And I definitely didn't feel a lot of compassion from her.... Dr. Ratts was nice, and was pretty informative our very first visit,
The clinic [Wash U ] was not great at all honestly. We definitely felt like a number there... The nurses, other than Mary...were incredibly hard to get a hold of! The billing people were almost impossible to talk to you unless of course they were trying to get money from you... And making an appointment was very very difficult! Honestly, the receptionist was the best thing about the whole place!... Good news or bad news Mary was the one to call us.
How was your experience with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Dr. Ratts was nice, and was pretty informative our very first visit, but we really never saw her again after that. She just was very hard to get ahold of, and I felt like she really didn't know that much about us or really want or try to get to know us personally. And I definitely didn't feel a lot of compassion from her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Be prepared to see her one time and one time only.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Valerie Ratts at Washington University School of Medicine?
Not necessarily a number, but probably definitely not a human either. I think we only saw Dr. Ratts maybe twice out of the many many visits that we made there. And I don't know that we ever actually spoke to her on the phone in between visits.
Describe the protocols Valerie Ratts used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We did a couple rounds of oral medications, none of which were successful. So then we switched to injectables, and did an IUI cycle. It was successful but unfortunately ended in miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary was our nurse throughout our whole treatment Journey with Dr. Ratts. And honestly she felt more like the doctor than Dr. Ratts. If something changed, Mary was the one to call us. Good news or bad news Mary was the one to call us. And Mary was actually the one who performed our IUI. She was a very good nurse, and very very knowledgeable. Not necessarily super compassionate, but very smart and knowledgeable and informative.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was not great at all honestly. We definitely felt like a number there... The nurses, other than Mary...were incredibly hard to get a hold of! The billing people were almost impossible to talk to you unless of course they were trying to get money from you... And making an appointment was very very difficult! Honestly, the receptionist was the best thing about the whole place! She was so sweet, and knew both my husband and my name every time we walked in. She learned little things about us and would always ask us personal questions, in a good way...about our life and just was always so kind and friendly. If she was the doctor, nurse, or represented everyone else in the clinic, I would give this place a 10 out of 10!
Describe Valerie Ratts's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Valerie Ratts

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Washington University Physicians Department of reproductive endocrinology has a very impersonal approach to IVF. You are unlikely to go through the cycle with your chosen doctor, they will not customize a protocol or attempt to think outside the box to fix your protocol if your body is not reacting like it's supposed to. If your body doesn't react like a normal person's body, you will not get pregnant with this Clinic.... My PPO insurance does cover infertility.
Dr.Omurtag seems like a nice guy, but at the core of it he really does not care if you get pregnant or not. When we first saw this doctor we were essentially told that we had a greater than 60% chance of success for one cycle of IVF and that most likely since it was male Factor infertility we were battling one cycle would be all it would take. Our first cycle of IVF they retrieved 13 eggs, only 4 were mature, and only one embryo was created. Dr. Omurtag brushed this off as a fluke and we tried again. Washington University only has certain set protocols in place, they do not customize a protocol for the way your body reacts. If you don't fit perfectly into the box then you are not going to have success at this Clinic. Additionally, the doctor making decisions about your care is going to be whatever doctor happens to be on call for IVF that week and they may not know your case or your history at all.
Don't.
This doctor made flippant remarks about how it's all a numbers game and we only need one embryo implying that there's no use trying for more than one
My first cycle of IVF was a long Agonist protocol. We did Lupron for 10 days I think, followed by stimulation with follistim and menopur. I triggered with HCG for my retrieval. My second cycle of IVF was different, I did not use Lupron at all instead they had me simulate with follistim and menopur and ganirelix was used towards the end with an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
My PPO insurance does cover infertility. The Physician and anesthesiologist fees are prepaid before they will schedule your cycle and it was $600 even. They have a surgical room attached to their office and it bills you as a free-standing Surgical Center for Missouri Baptist and my 20% coinsurance was over $2,800 for one cycle
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] can be cut and dry when it gets to the medical side of things. He will tell you like it is, but you can’t take it to heart.... He did the basic ivf routine each time, when I did find out I was pregnant, he had me take baby aspirin and shots of progesterone and lovenox due to MTHFR and PI1.... He would call after hours to go over things and explain in detail what our next steps would be
The clinic [Washington Univ School of Med-STL] was very clean and organized. Everything is in the same office so you don’t have to go anywhere else for blood work or surgeries. They close for a month each year (January I believe) to sterilize so be aware of that... Most of the nursing staff were great and very nice! My coordinator was very unreliable in answering calls, wouldn’t respond with urgent matters and when calling to tell me my beta, was not sympathetic. I wasn’t a fan of hers but I stuck with it to see Dr. O.
He is very thorough, understanding and determined. He listened to my concerns and even when he didn’t think things were necessary, he ran tests to give me peace of mind. He gave us our twins and we couldn’t be more grateful!
He can be cut and dry when it gets to the medical side of things. He will tell you like it is, but you can’t take it to heart.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was very clean and organized. Everything is in the same office so you don’t have to go anywhere else for blood work or surgeries. They close for a month each year (January I believe) to sterilize so be aware of that. I have nothing bad to say!
We were lucky enough to have fertility coverage with our insurance. We ran out of funds just before our final transfer so we paid out of pocket for that. I believe it was $1,000. In total, we spent $16k
We transferred 1 resulting in a chemical pregnancy. Next we transferred 2 resulting in a neg. Finally we transferred 2 again and now have twins! It’s a choice you have to make for yourself I feel. Be prepared for each embryo to stick. There’s always a possibility!
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
I was due to take an injection and it needed to be sent to the pharmacy and I also needed to know the amount. I called and left several messages and did not get a call back. It was getting close to the office being closed and it would have ruined my whole cycle had I not taken this shot. Luckily I was able to connect with someone at the front desk who walked back to my coordinator and demanded to take my call. It ended up working out but it was a close call and I would have lost a cycle and the money spent for ultrasounds blood work and medication leading up to this.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Omurtag] spent over an hour going over my fertility history, really paying attention to what has worked in the past and even more what hasn't. He's extremely thorough and detailed. Explaining plans/treatments and always stopping to see if we had any questions...I was impressed from the first office visit I had with Dr. Omurtag...I have seen many fertility MD's in the Stl area and I truely wish I would have started here...
I honestly could not say enough about this entire [Wash U - CWE] clinic. From the moment you walk in the door, the front office is welcoming and apologetic for any wait times. (Rarely was there any waiting) The phlebotomists are top notch and super sweet. The ultrasound techs are professional and compassionate. I really can't think of anything I would change about the staff or clinic...
I was impressed from the first office visit I had with Dr. Omurtag. He spent over an hour going over my fertility history, really paying attention to what has worked in the past and even more what hasn't. He's extremely thorough and detailed. Explaining plans/treatments and always stopping to see if we had any questions.
I have seen many fertility MD's in the Stl area and I truely wish I would have started here. Don't wait, make your appointment now!
I never felt like a number at this practice. From the front office to the phlebotomists, the Ultrasound techs, the OR staff, Dr. Omurtag and other MD's that assisted with my procedures. Everyone I met here was truely amazing and felt like a friend or family member.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith, Kathy, Mary)
The nurses were excellent! They were great with keeping me informed, relaying results and directions. They made sure I understood the protocols. I felt comfortable calling them if I had any questions.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I honestly could not say enough about this entire clinic. From the moment you walk in the door, the front office is welcoming and apologetic for any wait times. (Rarely was there any waiting) The phlebotomists are top notch and super sweet. The ultrasound techs are professional and compassionate. I really can't think of anything I would change about the staff or clinic.