Zev Rosenwaks

Westchester
657 Main Street
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Treated 2018 - 2019
Weakness: I have had 2 failed embryo transfer with him. The last one was devastating as I transferred 2 of my last remaining embryos but I didn't receive any phone call from him. Even just to say, "sorry it didn't work". ... Strength: he tries to see his patients during "monitoring" hours. This puts me at ease as he knows everything that is going on with me. He will also try to call back your phone call by the end of the day.
Weakness: Speaking to billing [Weill Cornell] might not be private. Clinic could get crowded during the monitoring hours. ... During monitoring hours, They also have a "card" system where you just swipe your card and let them know you have arrived. ... I feel that since they [nurses] have many patients, sometimes they could loose their "patience". They would always return your phone call but you most times have to leave a message in an answering machine and waiting for their phone call.
How was your experience with Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Strength: he tries to see his patients during "monitoring" hours. This puts me at ease as he knows everything that is going on with me. He will also try to call back your phone call by the end of the day. What I like about him is that he calls us personally with results of tests and what are the treatments. I liked that I don't feel rushed when I asked him questions after ultrasound during monitoring (which could be awkward for some). Weakness: I have had 2 failed embryo transfer with him. The last one was devastating as I transferred 2 of my last remaining embryos but I didn't receive any phone call from him. Even just to say, "sorry it didn't work". The only call I received was from my nurse that my pregnancy test was negative. I had to do a follow up appointment to speak to him about the next step. I know he might be busy or might be away during that time but days/weeks passed and still no phone call.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be prepared with your questions during your initial consultation. Do your own research also as to what IVF is. Be an advocate for yourself - if you don't understand something or want to discuss something with him don't be afraid to do so.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I rate my experience is neutral. I like Dr. Schattman - he called us personally to discuss test results; he will also call back if I leave any messages. When you see him during monitoring, I don't feel rushed to ask him questions. However, the nurse communication/instructions could be better. They have different numbers for appointments, Main office # and nurses. For the nurses, there will not always be someone to pick up your call. You will have to leave a voice message. Although they will call you back before the end of the day when you leave a message, during this stressful journey I feel that having someone answer your phone call (may it be to relay a message) feels more "human" or less anxious provoking. Also, sometimes you also gets a voice message thru Dr. Schattman's office. When I leave a message, there is always that thought what if my message get deleted by mistake or the voice mail machine acts up. What now? Just my thought. In terms of their monitoring and appointments, they have a different section for both which I like. You don't feel the crowdedness in the morning during monitoring hours if you have an appointment with your doctor.
Describe the protocols Glenn Schattman used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I don't know that protocol Dr. Schattman used but he started me with Estrogen patches (after a positive ovulation using ovulation predictor kit) changing it every 2 days, till the 4th patch and getting my period. He then gave me letrozole for 5 days together with follistim/gonal-f and menopur. After a few days on those (I forgot exactly), I needed to get ganirelix to prevent "maturing" of my eggs. I had 1-2 that is growing faster than the rest. Then they gave me a Lupron trigger prior to egg retrieval. I have about 24 eggs retrieved with 3 embryos making it to freezing. I had one blastocyst transferred in October 2018 but failed and 2 morulas in April 2018 which also failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
My primary nurse at Weill Cornell is very knowledgeable about fertility treatments. Although I had difficulty communicating with them. I feel that since they have many patients, sometimes they could loose their "patience". They would always return your phone call but you most times have to leave a message in an answering machine and waiting for their phone call. I also feel that sometimes, they are rushed when you are in the phone with them or in person. This infertility journey is as stressful as it could be and we need someone from our team to be there for us to help us get through his journey. I remember one time during in this clinic during monitoring, the doctor (not my primary doctor) told me to give ganirelix since some of my eggs are growing faster than the rest. I thought she would repeat the instructions before leaving. I didn't ask again, I thought I could just ask a nurse. I went and asked for a nurse but the nurse (not my primary nurse) told me, if the doctor told you to do it, do it; "nothing yet is written in your file so I don't know what the doctor said". I left and cried but went back to the doctor that did the monitoring. This could have been avoided if the nurse just had asked the doctor what was said! As a nurse myself, I try to bridge that gap between the patient & the doctor. If something was not clear to the patient, I will make sure and even take "strides" to ask the doctor about the plan of care. I also feel that they could have an email sent to patients for "instructions" during monitoring as to avoid confusions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: clinic physically is clean and spacious. They have a separate area for doctor's appointment and during "monitoring hours". During monitoring hours, They also have a "card" system where you just swipe your card and let them know you have arrived. You don't have to fall in line to "register". The egg retrieval and embryo transfer are done in a hospital setting. What I also like it that they have a "pre-op" class prior to the egg retrieval, they check your labs, vitals". Weakness: Speaking to billing might not be private. Clinic could get crowded during the monitoring hours. Some receptionist in the front could be more friendlier.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell's monitoring hours was from 6:30 am-8 am so it was convenient for me. I will still be late for work since I start 7 am but I will just have to come to the clinic at 6:30 or earlier. It is a well oiled machined will lots of people taking blood so we move quickly. Dr. Schattman will also try to see me during monitoring hours for the ultrasounds which I liked since it also gives me opportunity to ask him questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
for regular appointments with Dr. Schattman, I only paid my copay with my insurance. For IVF cycle, please be advised that this clinic might be more expensive that the others. their IVF cycle for 1 fresh transfer: 10,500 for any frozen embryo transfer: $ 4,260 ICSI: $ 2, 630 Cryopreservation: $ 1,050 (storage $ 262. 50/quarterly); 1st 6 months waived Anesthesia fee varies if your insurance covers it but they have a facility fee $ 1005.84 during the day of egg retrieval which is an additional expense.
Describe Glenn Schattman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell Reproductive team has a sheet where you can put it who many embryos to transfer. The recommend embryo transfer for my age was only 1 but my second transfer since the embryos are in the morula stage, Dr. Schattman decided two embryos transfer but it also failed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I submitted a consent form to my nurse but as we approach the cycle, I was told that they didn't have the consent form. Could thing is I made a copy of it and just resend it (I had to resend it twice though). Although, the nurse told me about the results and that the doctor would call me back to discuss it further - no phone call made by the doctor.
Upper East Side
she [Dr. Kang] thought our previous clinic overstimulated us and she was confident we could have more success with less aggressive medication regimens to stimulate eggs. The first cycle we had 4 embryos, but only 1 was viable on testing. The second cycle was cancelled. However, when we met with her for the next cycle to discuss the treatment plan, she was much colder. We stated that due to insurance, this is our last cycle and we want to optimize it. She looked at us and said, "well we go into all of our treatment cycles thinking that."
Most times the wait [at Weill Cornell] is over an hour, though recently it has been under 15 minutes. Basically very variable...Unnecessary hoops for "veteran IVFer's" to jump through, like their IVF class, retrieval class in the city, etc. Its like they have unrealistic expectations on the amount of time their demands waste on the patients lives. For instance, a trigger shot may be administered at 12 midnight, then they expect the patient to come into the city for a 6am class - regardless of where you live so you may be coming from hours away, need to drive (awful parking) or take a train (horrible schedule at that time). Meaning you get 1 hour of sleep and they just tell you to deal with it.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang is sometimes warm and smiley, sometimes no nonsense, sometimes appears not invested. She is by the book (doesn't believe the research supports supplements, acupuncture, etc). I completed 1 egg retrieval, had 1 cancelled cycle, and about to begin another egg retrieval.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Come prepared with questions and research.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
We have done a couple of rounds of IVF retrievals with Dr. Kang. Prior to working with her, we were at RMA for 4 timed intercourse cycles, 3 IUIs, and 3 rounds of IVF. Dr. Kang started by treating us like a human at the beginning of the treatment. During the first cycle she stated that she thought our previous clinic overstimulated us and she was confident we could have more success with less aggressive medication regimens to stimulate eggs. The first cycle we had 4 embryos, but only 1 was viable on testing. The second cycle was cancelled. However, when we met with her for the next cycle to discuss the treatment plan, she was much colder. We stated that due to insurance, this is our last cycle and we want to optimize it. She looked at us and said, "well we go into all of our treatment cycles thinking that." When we asked for advice she wouldn't give us any suggestions and instead said, "Well what do you want to do?" I tried giving ideas based off of treatments I heard of through other support groups, online research, friends such as using Clomid on the male, procedures on myself, etc. She shook her head at all of them and said, "what else are you thinking?" So finally I responded, "Well, you are the professional and this is your area of expertise, I'm only telling you the little research I've done, why don't you give us some ideas based on your knowledge?" She was reluctant to come up with more suggestions but finally agreed to do a check up and after some time came up with a plan. I felt discouraged like I had to do the work on my own. Also felt as though she was not invested in our treatment after hearing we were running out of funds in our insurance plan.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
1. Egg retrieval using an estrogen priming protocol (20 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 4 blastocysts, PGS testing 1 normal). 2. Same protocol for round 2, cycle cancelled due to poor response. 3. Will begin shortly, estrogen priming with microdose lupron flare to see if it controls eggs better.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Overall, its hit or miss. Seems like they are usually in a rush to call or se the next patient and its hard to stop them to ask questions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weaknesses: The billing team and clinic are very separate and they don't communicate with one another. Unnecessary hoops for "veteran IVFer's" to jump through, like their IVF class, retrieval class in the city, etc. Its like they have unrealistic expectations on the amount of time their demands waste on the patients lives. For instance, a trigger shot may be administered at 12 midnight, then they expect the patient to come into the city for a 6am class - regardless of where you live so you may be coming from hours away, need to drive (awful parking) or take a train (horrible schedule at that time). Meaning you get 1 hour of sleep and they just tell you to deal with it.
Most times the wait is over an hour, though recently it has been under 15 minutes. Basically very variable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Insurance covered but responsible for many copays, some medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
During the first retrieval, they changed the trigger and didn't explain why. It was after hours so I couldn't get in touch with my doctor and they were annoyed I was requesting more information about this. Also, the billing team expects patients to do all the pre-authorizations for them (my previous clinic did all this work for you). Then when medications change, they don't explain if they don't have pre-auth for it. You're expected to keep track of all of that. If you don't have strong knowledge in billing, etc. then good luck figuring it out. Also, through my insurance this clinic is considered a "center of excellence", which means no copays etc. However, they will send their tests etc to the hospital, which is out of network. So you have to constantly fight about billing. At the previous clinic I was at, no matter what was done and sent to external labs etc, you weren't responsible for even a penny. It shows the difference in the billing teams and their investment in helping their patients. then, to top it all of, you'll get mailings every few weeks asking for donations to their hospital for their "top notch care" they gave you....
Long Island

Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Davis was a strong proponent of fresh day 3 transfers, and one time we transferred 4 of them, which made me pretty nervous. ... I went to Dr. Davis because of his reputation as a researcher, which is impeccable. However, he has so many patients that our interactions were very brief. By my third cycle I felt like he had lost interest in my case. During my fourth cycle - a protocol that I requested - I neither saw nor spoke to him once.
Cornell has a research profile and reputation that is nearly unmatched, as far as I can tell. ... But I experienced it as a large, impersonal practice, which very little investment in whether or not I personally had a successful outcome. ... I was in excruciating pain for 24 hours after each retrieval, and did not feel that the clinic took my pain seriously until my final cycle, and that was after speaking with four different people.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Go prepared to ask a lot of questions, and do not expect hand holding. I thought I didn't need personalized attention if I was seeing someone with incredible research chops, but discovered that this is a more emotional process than I realized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Cornell is a large cattle-call practice. I was monitored by a different attending almost every time. I didn't have a consistent nurse. I felt like my treatment plans were by the numbers, rather than tailored to me specifically, and I had real problems with pain management after egg retrieval. Over two years, they never even pronounced my name correctly. It wasn't great.
Describe the protocols Owen Davis used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
3 IUI with Clomid, no success. One IVF cycle with estrogen priming and high doses of Follistim and Menopur, canceled due to nonresponse. One IVF cycle with estrogen priming, Clomid, and low doses of Follistim and Menopur, resulting in 3 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success. One IVF with estrogen priming, Clomid, low doses of Follistim and Menopur, plus endometrial co-culture, which was painful and not covered by insurance, 4 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success. One IVF with estrogen priming and Lupron flare (my request), 2 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success.
I had a different nurse every time, so it's hard to say. Once I had to request a different phlebotomist because she was having so much trouble taking my blood. Honestly, my experience with them wasn't great.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has a research profile and reputation that is nearly unmatched, as far as I can tell. And I know colleagues who have found success there. But I experienced it as a large, impersonal practice, which very little investment in whether or not I personally had a successful outcome. At the beginning of this process I thought I didn't need compassionate care if the research chops were there, but over time and repeated failures my needs changed, and I completed treatment elsewhere.
It was a cattle call with a line around the corner. I regularly waited at least an hour, and once was forgotten in an examining room waiting for an ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had insurance coverage. My out of pocket expenses were $1000 for endometrial co-culture, several trigger shots, and misc.
Describe Owen Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Davis was a strong proponent of fresh day 3 transfers, and one time we transferred 4 of them, which made me pretty nervous. He felt that embryos had a better chance of success in a woman's body than in a petri dish. I ultimately had success with a fresh day 3 transfer with another doctor.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had a real problem with pain management after egg retrieval. I gather that my body is unusually sensitive, as most people don't experience this level, but I was in excruciating pain for 24 hours after each retrieval, and did not feel that the clinic took my pain seriously until my final cycle, and that was after speaking with four different people.
Treated 2017
i came to him [Dr. Davis] because i was told he would do day 2 or 3 freezing and fresh transfers if desired and appropriate. ... We had one initial converastion to make a plan. It was extended and I never felt rushed. ... I told him I thought I had been way overmedicated in my previous cycle and he listened and dosed lower as a result. We ended up having a very solid outcome of that cycle with 10 to freeze. Ultimately the one pgs normal was in that group but it ended up not taking in transfer.
100% a cattle call. ... there were literally 75- 100 people waiting to be seen. ... You check in with a swipe card. ... When you get called in you will see random blood draw person- i swear I never saw teh same person twice. ... I hated that I literally never saw Dr. Davis and they drs doing the scans were so clearly like- whatever- about their job. ... you are called by name and given scribs to change into they put the IV in your arm. And then you are put in a waiting room with all the same women AND their partners, parents etc..
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Davis was the 4th fertility doc on my long list. i came to him because i was told he would do day 2 or 3 freezing and fresh transfers if desired and appropriate. This was the first time that those options had been offered to me and given the fact that i cannot get an embryo to day 5 in a dish this was comforting. We had one initial converastion to make a plan. It was extended and I never felt rushed. I asked him about the reason that nothign ever made it to day 5 in the dish and he said probably egg quality but not necessarily. He is not didactic in his approach to treatment and has been doing this long enough to remember the days before automatically pushing to day 5 blasts and pgs was the norm. We ultimately decided on a freeze all cycle with the plan to do another cycle immediately following which I ended up not doing because I hated the clinic so much. I told him I thought I had been way overmedicated in my previous cycle and he listened and dosed lower as a result. We ended up having a very solid outcome of that cycle with 10 to freeze. Ultimately the one pgs normal was in that group but it ended up not taking in transfer.
Be aware that you will probably never see him in person again after your initial consult. He was available by phone as was consistent in returning phone calls and I never felt rushed in our conversations.
Dr. Davis is a very nice person. He was very patient and available on the phone and reassuring. I absolutely hated the clinic and that was the reason I only did 1 cycle there. But I liked him as a Dr and respected his approach.
It was lose dose- i think it was 25 clomid on cycle days 3-7 and then 125 follistim. He likes double ganirelix on theses low dose cycles, but I thouht it may have been over-suppressive so i actually just did one and a half ganirelix instead of 2X a day.
I remember Dr. Davis's manager a lot more than his nursing staff. His office manager was excellent. The way that Cornell organizes their clinic make me so aggravated that I honestly don't think I had a main nurse. You literally never see teh same person twice- nurse or even phlebotomist. They were all.... fine. It really is truly a factory so the nurses respond to the culture that they are a part of and have no power to change.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Let me start by saying that I hated pretty much everything about the way this clinic is run. it is impersonal. It is a factory but not a well oiled machine. All REs love to talk about how their labs are teh best. Literally every single RE will tell you they have the best lab. And while there are some labs that may be better than others in some ways, for the most part i think it's negligible once you get past a certain threshold of care. So I think Cornell hides behind "we have the best lab" argument to avoid actually providing quality continuity of care. The waiting room holds 100 people. You check in with a swipe card. It is incredibely impersonal. They do not run on time. When you get called in you will see random blood draw person- i swear I never saw teh same person twice. Then you will be assigned a room and random young dr will do your scan. I seriously had to ask a few of tehm if they were med students or not becuase tehy looked so young, and again, I never saw teh same person twice. This is a problem becuase everyone measures follicles differently and you are relying on their measurements being given to your dr to decide on what next steps are needed. So if you are deciding when to trigger and someone measures either generously or conservatively it can actually have a major impact on your outcome. I hated that I literally never saw Dr. Davis and they drs doing the scans were so clearly like- whatever- about their job. It is a factory. I also really, really have a major issue with how they handle retrievals. First of all, EVERYONE is required to come to a 6am class and sort of group blood work the day before your retrieval even if you have already done multiple retrievals. They come out with a clipboard and the order that your name goes on teh clipboard is the order that you are seen. So you sit around a conference table with all the women who are being retrieved the next day. Too bad about HIPPA and expectations of privacy- there are NONE. You could end up sitting there with your boss, or your sister in law, or your hairdresser. I actually can;t believe it's legal. Then they call yuo back one at a time to do blood and sign forms. I then refused to stay for the class ofw hat to expect becuase this was going to be by 4th or 5th retrieval which I told them. The nurses were not nice about it all and threatened to cancel my cycle if I messed up anything. I was like- you are handing me a piece of paper with the extensive instructions of what to do. i can read and I will follow them . And then I left. Then the next day I showed up at 6am again- for a 10am retrieval- which is just obnoxious. Then again, you are called by name and given scribs to change into they put the IV in your arm. And then you are put in a waiting room with all the same women AND their partners, parents etc... in scrubs... with an IV sticking in your arm. And you wait. Again. And then they call you by name in groups of 3 and take you to a tiny waiting room. There one at a time the anethesiologist pulls you into the hallway (i swear) to have a private converastion about any anethesia you may have. I had 2 very lovely girls I was sitting with and we kinda chatted a bit but honestly, what if you don't really want to be in scrubs with strangers having a convo right before your retrieval? Then they take you one at a time and you see whoever is on call for retrievals that day- you may or may not have ever met them. Then you go to recovery. They wake you up with mandatory pain pills and send you on your merry way. They do tell you how many eggs were retrieved and thats it. Having had a a fair amount of clinic experiences by the time I got there I had a lot of comparisons to other clinics and this model is by a loooong shot, my least favorite. I ended up moving my 10 frozen 2PNs to another clinic because I refused to ever cycle with them again.
100% a cattle call. See above. I walked in one saturday and there were literally 75- 100 people waiting to be seen. It is the worst model for monitoring.
I paid OOP for this whole cycle. I think it was around 20k?
Treated 2017
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic....looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis.
This [Weill Cornell] is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Spandorfer was pleasant during our consult and took an extensive history for both my partner and I. He acknowledged the emotional toll infertility takes on a woman and highlighted the psychological/counseling resources that are available at the clinic. While I had a basic understanding of my diagnosis from doing research on my own prior to my first consult (my OBGYN had completed basic hormone level testing which indicated severe diminished ovarian reserve and high FSH and referred me to the clinic), looking back I feel that Dr. Spandorfer could have been more specific and blunt about my chances of success doing IVF and using my own eggs. At no point would he give us an estimated chance at success given my young age and diagnosis. He explained that while I would likely only produce 2-4 eggs per retrieval, there was a good chance that due to my young age, there was a chance I could produce a good quality egg within that cycle. As we progressed with treatment and moved on to second and third rounds of IVF, I often found that he would present options (ex: medication protocols) and I would be left to make the decision on which path to choose. I would have preferred the doctor to have more conviction and state "we should go with XX option given this will give you your best shot". I received a lot of "well we just don't know..." in my time with this doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own advocate. Do your research and be well prepared for your consult and appointments. You will need to speak up for yourself and not be afraid to ask questions about your plan of treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
This is an extremely busy practice and while it is run as efficiently as possible, I found the experience to lack personal attention. The front desk employees are not overly friendly. The doctors handing ultrasounds for follicle growth always seemed to be in a rush and I would need to ask questions quickly to get an answer before they left the room for the next patient. I never had a dedicated nurse assigned to my case while I was a patient. Every call would be from a different individual which made it difficult if I had questions on my treatment....there was no consistency. For my egg retrieval and transfer at the hospital, it was one big waiting game. The room was full of patients and you were filed into the operating room one after the next. The process was quite long and there was a lot of down time while waiting your turn.
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Cycle 1: estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 3 Cycle 2: low dose medication protcol with clomid-&gt; (150 units Gonal F and 75 units Menopur; meds were eventually bumped up due to lack of response) we tried this approach given my body will never produce a large amount of follicles and I had been told by other parties that this is a good approach for poor responders/diminished ovarian reserve patients. This protocol unfortunately did not work at all and I was left stimming for approx. 18 days without any follicles growing past 10mm and cycle was then cancelled. Cycle 3: returned to original protocol- estrogen priming/antagonist protocol- 300 units Gonal F and 150 units Menopur; eggs retrieved: 1
This is an area that could be greatly improved upon. There should be consistency in the person you speak to during an IVF cycle. I felt like I needed to give color on my case or background information given I was always speaking to a new person. For my first failed transfer, the lack of compassion I received from the nurse who called to tell me my test was negative was very upsetting. There was no emotion or feeling of empathy as she spoke to me and the call last all of 2 minutes. At times nurses had attitudes and made you feel like you were bothering them if you called with a question. You would always have to leave a voicemail and someone would eventually call you back.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The reputation for this clinic is extremely strong in the NYC area. I know many people who have gone to this clinic and had success. I feel like if you have a more common issue or case and can follow standard protocols, you'll be good. The lab is also supposed to have a great reputation and rates of success. I felt like everyone was competent and I was in good hands but often felt like I was being shuffled along due to the amount of patients.
The clinic has the flow down for monitoring appointments and is run efficiently however, there can be long waits due to the number of patients if you decide to go at "peak time". It is best to go when monitoring hours open or if it works for you, to their Tribeca office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
From what I recall, an IVF cycle with ICSI was approximately $20K.
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For my first transfer, we transferred two embryos. The doctor gave me the choice if I wanted to transfer 1 or 2 embryos. He and the doctor performing the embryo transfer explained that there was an increased chance of twins by transferring 2 embryos.
Treated 2017 - 2019
Positive attitude, compassionate, honest. ... Really tried his [Dr. Schattman] best to counter the “I feel like in a factory” sentiment. ... He walks on water, as far as I’m concerned! ... Personalized treatment. Gave me a clear idea (as much as possible) about what to expect next. ... trust his judgement! ... In the room with him, always like a human. In the waiting room [Weill Cornell] or pre-op (ie policy of the clinic), DEFINITELY like a number.
Like most clinics, feels like a factory.... Billing could use some improvement - told me the day before retrieval that none of my last 2 weeks of treatment was covered and I owed $18K!!!! Also, they call out your full name to the very large waiting room every morning - ZERO privacy. ... And you watch all of the women leave, one at a time, and get rolled out of the OR on a gurney, still under anesthesia. It is so absolutely inhumane, especially with women at such a fragile time.
How was your experience with Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Positive attitude, compassionate, honest. He walks on water, as far as I’m concerned! Really tried his best to counter the “I feel like in a factory” sentiment. Personalized treatment. Gave me a clear idea (as much as possible) about what to expect next.
trust his judgement!
In the room with him, always like a human. In the waiting room or pre-op (ie policy of the clinic), DEFINITELY like a number.
Very very nice when you actually speak to them or spend time with them. Did try to accommodate as much as possible.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Like most clinics, feels like a factory. Often felt like right hand wasn’t talking to the left hand. Billing could use some improvement - told me the day before retrieval that none of my last 2 weeks of treatment was covered and I owed $18K!!!! Also, they call out your full name to the very large waiting room every morning - ZERO privacy. They also take you back, with 3 other women, to a sub-room just outside of the operating room, before retrieval. No tv, no phones, not even a clock. And you watch all of the women leave, one at a time, and get rolled out of the OR on a gurney, still under anesthesia. It is so absolutely inhumane, especially with women at such a fragile time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Some medication confusion when the primary nurse was not the one calling with instructions. Calling out your full name to the entire waiting room felt so violating of everyone’s privacy. Waiting in the sub-room just outside of the OR “waiting your turn” and watching other women rolled out of the OR was beyond unacceptable.
Treated 2016 - 2019
My RE missed my ovulation 2x ... When we returned to him [Dr. Reichman] in 2018/2019 for baby 2 it was a very different experience. He was overly blunt, cold and got extremely upset whenever he was questioned or I advocated for myself. He just seemed like he was too busy too care anymore. Emails would go unanswered for days and you never received phone calls when requested.
The downtown office is smaller. Very clean and organized. You will usually always see your Dr when you go. The staff is friendly and knows your name. They always get your meds in on time. They only issue I found is it takes forever to get your records. So if you need them quickly you will have to stay on them. ... I only ever spoke to Hannah and Christine [nurses]. Both were good and responsive. However they will never really answer questions for you and will tell you to email Dr Reichman.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I first went to him back in 2016. He was empathetic, concerned and took the time to walk you through everything and also made sure that you were handling everything ok mentally. He was the kind of dr that would call you from vacation or on his way home to check in and explain things. I will add that we did get pregnant during that time at his practice, however it likely would've happened regardless. When we returned to him in 2018/2019 for baby 2 it was a very different experience. He was overly blunt, cold and got extremely upset whenever he was questioned or I advocated for myself. He just seemed like he was too busy too care anymore. Emails would go unanswered for days and you never received phone calls when requested. It was like I was dealing with a completely different dr.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If you tend to ask questions and advocate for yourself do not work with him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
When i initially saw Dr Reichman in 2016 after 2 losses he was nothing short of amazing. He was kind, empathetic and really took the time to discuss treatment, calm anxiety and let you know he was there to support you. When I saw him again in 2018/2019 everything changed. He was blunt, short, easily annoyed and combative. I really felt like I was dealing with a completely different Doctor. He was no longer willing to try different things or think outside the box. It was very his way or the highway. I did not feel the comfort and support I once felt with him at all.
Describe the protocols David Reichman used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
We only got as far as letrozole and timed intercourse with him. He also missed my ovulation twice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Hannah Giaimo)
I only ever spoke to Hannah and Christine. Both were good and responsive. However they will never really answer questions for you and will tell you to email Dr Reichman.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
25k+ for IVF before medication, IUI 1.4k and trigger shots $100 if not covered by insurance.
Describe David Reichman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He will never implant more than one embryo at a time. Or at leas that is what he said. He is extremely conservative.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My RE missed my ovulation 2x due to not scheduling me to come in enough and likely not getting enough blood work. It also took an extremely long time to receive my records. I had to ask multiple times for them.
Investor
We were living abroad when we went through the treatment with Dr. Chung. He makes an effort to go over the procedure and results with us either over the phone or in person when we were in NY. However, he does seem to be in a rush all the time...We did 3 retrievals with him, each time it failed to yield a PGTA normal embryo...we asked him multiple times to consider doing something different to improve the results but he refused.
[Weill Cornell has] a lot of patients cycle through so it's not as personal as a private clinic. Don't expect to see your doctor on every monitoring appointment. He / she may not do your retrieval or transfer. each doctor only does retrieval one day a week...The nurse had a hard time figure out how to coordinate with us because we were living overseas and did the first few days of monitoring outside of country. I would like to note the genetic counsel who communicated the final results to us was horrible. she had zero compassion and knowledge.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Pak Chung takes very straight and narrow approach to IVF , a process that has a lot variability. We did 3 retrievals with him, each time it failed to yield a PGTA normal embryo from a total of 14 highly rated day 5 embryos. Throughout the process, we asked him multiple times to consider doing something different to improve the results but he refused. We are now under the care of CCRM, the doctor there was very surprised by Dr. Chung's approach to stick with the same protocol after seeing the same results in 3 rounds. I think Dr. Chung's approach may work with 75% of the patients but if you have a tough/ unique case and requires the doctor to think out of box, you should not go to Dr. Chung. He sticks with the same general protocol. Being a part of an academic organization, the doctors there are super conservative. They would not go out of their way to help the patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If you have a tough case and his protocol didn't work for the first time, I would think very hard about staying with him. Get a second opinion. Be prepared with questions when you meet with him. He can be very intimidating sometimes but you need to be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
We were living abroad when we went through the treatment with Dr. Chung. He makes an effort to go over the procedure and results with us either over the phone or in person when we were in NY. However, he does seem to be in a rush all the time so better get your questions prepared ahead of time.
Describe the protocols Pak Chung used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I am a good responder to stim so he used the same protocol for all three rounds: 225 gonal F/ 150 Menopur then added grlx use 5000 IU HCG trigger
The nurse had a hard time figure out how to coordinate with us because we were living overseas and did the first few days of monitoring outside of country. I would like to note the genetic counsel who communicated the final results to us was horrible. she had zero compassion and knowledge. her name was Ann Carlson. She didn't know how to explain our results and completely dismissed our results because they were abnormal. She would make these conclusions about the embryos without any data and told us it's based on her gut feeling. I am floored with how unprofessional she was. You should definitely request a different genetic counselor if you go to Cornell. She added so much stress to our process. We deserve better.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Go to Cornell for their lab - we got much better fertilization rate; They have a lot of patients cycle through so it's not as personal as a private clinic. Don't expect to see your doctor on every monitoring appointment. He / she may not do your retrieval or transfer. each doctor only does retrieval one day a week.
cattle call but efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College.
mine was mostly covered by my insurance. Don't recall the exact cost
Describe Pak Chung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I think Cornell does up to 2 for day 5 and 3-4 for day 3 (not 100% sure)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Please see my note about the genetic counselor above. My recommendation is request a different one if you get assigned to Ann Carlson.

Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Goldschlag] reported that the number and quality of my eggs are very low and may not be that great...During appointments I could hardly hear what he was saying as he ultrasounded me. I would ask questions and get no answer. I would then email him still no answer, I would call his office and still no answers. Turns out he wrote in my chart patient has many questions one day. All of those questions were still unanswered.
Never really got to know anyone in particular [at Weill Cornell] except the front desk when I had to leave after waiting over an hour and a half and had to go to work. There was one lady who made fun of me for going to the clinic as I was told I should by dr G. for my trigger injection...didn’t tell me the protocols of how much estrogen and when. The didn’t tell me when to start the clomid and one time it was too late and I already had a follicle and then he scoffed at me that if I took it I may have more eggs but the probably would all be defective if I took it. I didn’t know it was category x
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He seemed to have a hard time making direct eye contact with me especially when I asked questions or he was explaining things during my ultrasounds. He was very submissive of my questions that started with based on my research (of which I meant scholarly articles since I too am a doctor, I may be a doctor of physical therapy however I understand researching) what do you think about diet, supplements, acupuncture, and my other issues anxiety, low iron, stress, lack of progesterone etc.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Demand eye contact.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
We went after researching many. After meeting him my husband seemed to like him, so we stayed initially. He kinda laughed at us the first day “why are you here? Did you know you are one of my youngest clients. This should be pretty easy.” After my blood work was taken he then called us in. He said that my husbands numbers were “low that day but he may have masturbated to recently to the data so he is probably fine. The reason he sometimes could not ejaculate was most like because,” turns to me, without looking at me, “the stress that is placed on him.” “(My) numbers aren’t terrible but aren’t great as my AMH IS 0.55. So we are going to treat you like a much older woman well into her 40s.” All without eye contact. I had to pipe up and ask what amh meant again. We were pretty new to all of this. I really wasn’t sure. He reported that the number and quality of my eggs are very low and may not be that great. I’m still having a hard time forgetting. “Not terrible”. During appointments I could hardly hear what he was saying as he ultrasounded me. I would ask questions and get no answer. I would then email him still no answer, I would call his office and still no answers. Turns out he wrote in my chart patient has many questions one day. All of those questions were still unanswered. I finally got my husband to ask after realizing DrG rarely made eye contact with me. He finally answered my husband the same questions I had been asking a few cycles ago. After that I was done with him. I took a break, cleaned up my diet, got some other hormones checked and took supplements. Now we are meeting with a new doctor who already explained the most of that was a waste of time for me.
Describe the protocols Dan Goldschlag used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Natural timing, clomid 50 with iui, estrogen patches with natural, climbs 150 with iui.
Never really got to know anyone in particular except the front desk when I had to leave after waiting over an hour and a half and had to go to work. There was one lady who made fun of me for going to the clinic as I was told I should by dr G. for my trigger injection.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths multiple doctors. Weakness you may still wait to get seen for hours. You will see other doctors. I had no idea I was supposed to keep a full bladder for the iui. I had been drinking water that entire morning waiting for my husband etc but thought I should use the restroom bc I really had to go and was worried it my hurt if they had to open my cervix and didn’t want to pee on the table so I quickly ran to the bathroom. Hearing that doctor complain about me ruining her morning making her job so much harder was horrible. Making me think that bc my bladder wasn’t full I was another reason my iui failed. Cold voicemails to tell you that The blood test was negative for your pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College.
400/ ultrasound I think it was $2000 for the iui
Describe Dan Goldschlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
They forgot to fax the medication prescription and then were mad at me bc I didn’t have it. The didn’t tell me the protocols of how much estrogen and when. The didn’t tell me when to start the clomid and one time it was too late and I already had a follicle and then he scoffed at me that if I took it I may have more eggs but the probably would all be defective if I took it. I didn’t know it was category x
Upper East Side
Dr Spandorfer initially was kind, extremely confident and really seem to know what he was talking about and the direction he wanted to go with my treatment. But when my first IVF with him failed he was a very different person. He was snappy and rude and unwilling to explain things to me especially when the second and different protocol didn't go well at all.
The office [Weill Cornell] could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic. ... He really determines that [eSet] based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
When I initially saw him for our consultation, he seemed to really know what he was doing and genuinely seemed to care about his patients. I felt like I would be in good hands with him. I was wrong. After my first IVF failed with him he became a different person. Perhaps he thought I was a lost cause. He was distant, snappy and often rude, especially when things went even worse with his new protocol for the 2nd round. He never even followed up with me after. He needs to retire. He is a rude, grumpy old man who could really careless about the patients he thinks won't up his numbers.
See someone else.
First we did the antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. 150 menopur with 300 gonal-f then added antagonist. When that didn't work we did micro-flaire. Hi rationale was these are the most commonly used protocols. He did not tailor things to me AT ALL.
His nurses are all great. Its a shame he doesn't act more like them. They are kind, caring and very thorough. They always take the time to walk you through everything. Lots of handholding with them.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The office could use updating and the front desk could you a little training in how to treat patients. The nurses are so kind and helpful, but the drs all think they are gods and are mostly men. Go to another clinic.
20k for each IVF cycle
He really determines that based on how many children you want to have and how the process is going once the embryos start growing. He is not opposed to multiple embryo transfer.
Treated 2016 - 2018
He [Dr. Reichman] preferred to transfer a single embryo for us, but we never had one to transfer...We tried a second round (everything was paid for out of pocket), had 26 eggs retrieved, 24 mature, and 0 fertilized with ICSI. Dr. Reichman was truly stumped...I am now under the care of another doctor and have already been diagnosed with PCOS among other things, which I am being treated for, but which never came to light
Everything was out of pocket for us [at Weill Cornell Medical College]. We spent 15-20k for each cycle...embryology lab met to discuss our failures, as did the andrology team. I was told that they were devastated and stumped by our results. Dr. Palermo offered my husband a couple of tests after our second failure. We have yet to receive the results of the second test about 7 months later.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman is a conscientious, responsive, and caring, but he is conservative and didn't go above and beyond to help us get to the root of our problem. We had 48 eggs retrieved over the course of two cycles, 34 of which were mature, only 1 fertilized with ICSI, and that embryo didn't survive long enough for transfer. We felt he shrugged us off and was ready to let us move on without trying to dig in and search for answers, run additional tests, etc. This was a let down.
If you aren't getting typical results, move on to another clinic, or even a reproductive immunologist. You won't get a rigorous scientific examination of your results.
After meeting with Dr. Reichman, I had a spontaneous chemical pregnancy, 1 failed IUI, and then a spontaneous pregnancy which ended at 9 weeks, soon after being passed on to my OBGYN. After my d and c, I had retained products of conception and my OBGYN wanted to do a second d and c. Dr. Reichman called me and firmly told me not to do the second d and c and that it could affect future fertility, and offered to do a hysteroscopy instead. I knew he truly cared about my well being. I then had two IVF cycles with him. The first round yielded 22 eggs, 10 mature, and 1 fertilized with ICSI. That embryo failed to develop. At the time he told us that it would be like lightning striking twice for similar result to happen again. We tried a second round (everything was paid for out of pocket), had 26 eggs retrieved, 24 mature, and 0 fertilized with ICSI. Dr. Reichman was truly stumped. I don't fault him personally, but feel that if your case is tricky, Weill Cornell is not the place for you. I am now under the care of another doctor and have already been diagnosed with PCOS among other things, which I am being treated for, but which never came to light at Cornell. I believe the biggest mistake that Dr. Reichman made was allowing us to proceed with a second round without ensuring that we learned something from it (such as doing half with donor sperm). After our final meeting with him post 2nd IVF, he still have no idea if it was an egg or sperm issue. My husband has normal sperm count and motility, but low morphology, but that shouldn't have led to the results we got. Dr. Reichman did offer us a third round at a discount to try a cycle without ICSI, but we didn't feel there was any evidence to put ourselves through that.
IVF #1: Day 1-6: 225 gonal f, 150 menopur Day 7: 225 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 8-9: 175 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 10: 175 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 11 150 gonal f, 150 menopure, ganirelix Day 14: 22 eggs retrieved. 10 mature. 1 fertilized. No embryos. IVF #2: Day 1-5: 1/16 225 gonal f, 150 menopur Day 6-8: 125 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 9-10: 125 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 11: 50 gonal f, 150 menopur, 2.5 cetrotide Day 12: Trigger thurs 1/24 9:30pm Lupron 4mg Hcg 2500 Retrieval 26 eggs 0 of 24 mature eggs fertilized
The nursing staff at the Tribeca office is warm and caring. My first IVF coordinator was cold and businesslike. The second one was much more pleasant and helpful.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Palermo's embryology lab met to discuss our failures, as did the andrology team. I was told that they were devastated and stumped by our results. Dr. Palermo offered my husband a couple of tests after our second failure. We have yet to receive the results of the second test about 7 months later.
Fairly efficient, but impersonal when the monitoring MD is not your own.
Everything was out of pocket for us. We spent 15-20k for each cycle. I do not recall IUI cost.
He preferred to transfer a single embryo for us, but we never had one to transfer.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Davis is a strong scientist. He is not a hand-holder. I felt like our interactions were very brief, straightforward and business-like....Clomid for 5 days (I'm 42, low AMH) and IUI. HSG after 4th IUI...I feel like there were several oversights in association with my treatment, and I wonder if his ego got in the way. As an example, he waited several cycles before performing an HSG on me. Most clinics use that in their initial diagnostic phase. IUIs with a blocked fallopian tube is pointless.
The nurses [at Weill Cornell Medical College] are great. Slightly frazzled, lots going on. But they are caring, compassionate and smart. I liked them better than my doctor, to be honest...One of the more expensive places in NYC. Owen Davis charges for clomid monitoring, which seems semi-insane. Around 1250 / IUI...It is a factory. On the plus side, they know what they're doing and they are efficient. On the minus, there is not a ton of personal connection here. The ladies behind the front desk at the monitoring station can be quite cold. If you want warm and fuzzies, this clinic is not the place.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I know he is good at what he does. However, I feel like there were several oversights in association with my treatment, and I wonder if his ego got in the way. As an example, he waited several cycles before performing an HSG on me. Most clinics use that in their initial diagnostic phase. IUIs with a blocked fallopian tube is pointless. AND an HSG can increase the chances of IUI success. No reason in the world that this shouldn't have been done before I started. Lots of money down the drain, and I consider that careless.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK and make sure you ask for as much info as possible. Silly things, like getting on a prenatal as you start treatment were never disclosed. You really have to ask for the things you need with OD, cause it will not be volunteered. He is not a bad human and I think he cares about what he does. But again, too many clients and a slightly large ego makes him a bit tricky.
Clomid for 5 days (I'm 42, low AMH) and IUI. HSG after 4th IUI.
The nurses are great. Slightly frazzled, lots going on. But they are caring, compassionate and smart. I liked them better than my doctor, to be honest.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Only one mishap - drug sent to the wrong pharm. Otherwise, these guys know what they're doing.
Upper East Side
The clinic [Weill Cornell] has a good system for monitoring appointments where patients checked in for the appointments in the morning 7 days a week.... I found the clinic well run. I liked that waiting area is not too small. This is not directly about the clinic, but we drove to the clinic so it was hard at times to find a parking space. We used different parking facilities nearby.... I spoke with two different nurses from the office of Dr.Davis. Both of them knew my case and clarified my misunderstanding. It required me to study all documents they sent to us about the IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I found Dr.Davis competent and respectful of a patient. When he had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) done on me, he explained every step to me even though I might have not understood every steop. During the IFV cycle, I did not see him until a couple days before an egg retrial surgery. Because he talked fast, it was at times hard for me to understand everything especially it was about unfamiliar medical subjects. He, however, answered my questions patiently so that I could understand well. He was very sympathetic when finding out that our IVF treatment was unsuccessful. And he provided us with options to improve the chance of success next time.
I wished I could have became more familiar with basics of the IVF treatment and anatomy on a female reproductive system so that I could have used the limited time more effectively.
Even though the Upper East Side facility of Weill Cornell as many described as well run facility, care providers, nurses, and doctors took reasonable time to answer questions I had. When I had communicated with nurses from Dr.Davis's office over the phone, they were prompt and courteous.
I went to a usual IFV cycle with regular monitoring. I used Follistim, Menopour, and Ganorelic until the egg retrieval. I used Novarel for egg triggering and afterword Progestorne. Dr. Davis monitored our case though we did not speak to him everyday. Egg retrieval was successful but we did not have mature embryos except 2 embryos used in the embryo transfer procedure. The IVF treatment was unsuccessful but Dr.Davis offered additional procedures to increase the chance of success next time.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic has a good system for monitoring appointments where patients checked in for the appointments in the morning 7 days a week. I had to get used to in the beginning but soon it became a routine.
We had to pay a fixed fee for the IVF treatment in the beginning.
Our doctor suggested multiple embryo transfer to increase a chance of pregnancy thought he talked to us about a chance of getting twins and its risks.

Treated 2017 - 2018
[Dr. Melnick is] very friendly but very fast. Too quick doesn't pay enough attention to the case in front of her...In her own words, our very first round of IVF was a 'total bust.' she called it too early and we didn't get enough mature eggs. Only 3 mature, didn't do ICSI cause she didn't explain it to us, only one fertilized and transferred day 3 and didn't take. The second round, we only got 3 eggs out of what looked like 10 follicles growing. I think I ovulated the eggs early, but of course, she wouldn't tell me that. And she allowed me to believe it was a problem with my eggs. Those two rounds of insurance covered IVF went up in smoke due to her lack of experience and attention to detail. I always sensed I had a carrying issue, cause I've had chemicals and not real miscarriages. I asked for the receptivity and ERA tests on my lining - Melnick told me those tests weren't necessary. My second private doctor (with YEARS more experience than Melnick) has been able to retrieve 11 eggs, with at least four making it to day 5 blasts. I got these numbers two retrievals in a row. Melnick only retrieved a total of 5 eggs over two retrievals. My current doctor also did the biopsies on my lining and discovered I have endometriosis - something Melnick didn't think to look into - even after requesting testing. I lost valuable time and money with Melnick. I would recommend finding a doctor with much more experience who will treat your infertility like a medical case to be figured out.
[Weill Cornell Medical College is] an assembly line of care - you are a number. You won't see your doctor more than once a cycle. But they take insurance and have a good lab. I would recommend finding something smaller with care that is more attentive...In her [Dr. Melnick's] own words, our very first round of IVF was a 'total bust.' she called it too early and we didn't get enough mature eggs. Only 3 mature, didn't do ICSI cause she didn't explain it to us, only one fertilized and transferred day 3 and didn't take. The second round, we only got 3 eggs out of what looked like 10 follicles growing. I think I ovulated the eggs early, but of course, she wouldn't tell me that. And she allowed me to believe it was a problem with my eggs. Those two rounds of insurance covered IVF went up in smoke due to her lack of experience and attention to detail. I always sensed I had a carrying issue, cause I've had chemicals and not real miscarriages. I asked for the receptivity and ERA tests on my lining - Melnick told me those tests weren't necessary. My second private doctor (with YEARS more experience than Melnick) has been able to retrieve 11 eggs, with at least four making it to day 5 blasts. I got these numbers two retrievals in a row. Melnick only retrieved a total of 5 eggs over two retrievals. My current doctor also did the biopsies on my lining and discovered I have endometriosis - something Melnick didn't think to look into - even after requesting testing. I lost valuable time and money with Melnick. I would recommend finding a doctor with much more experience who will treat your infertility like a medical case to be figured out.
How was your experience with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Find someone more experienced
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She's very friendly but very fast. Too quick doesn't pay enough attention to the case in front of her.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
its an assembly line of care - you are a number. You won't see your doctor more than once a cycle. But they take insurance and have a good lab. I would recommend finding something smaller with care that is more attentive
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Pfeiffer was always very kind and honest when we had our one on one time. ... She diagnosed me as a having a "smidge of PCOS" as well as unexplained infertility. ... She listed to my life situation and recommended an altered plan to proceed with IVF while my life (work and school responsibilities) got sorted out. My only kind of negative comment about the treatment strategy would be her lack of enthusiasm towards supplements. ...
Weakness: when it comes to billing and insurance the patient is left on their own to tackle. ... the office revealed itself to be less than helpful when it came to dealing with insurance. We had to do multiple follow-ups, which added to our decision to halt our plans to proceed with IVF. ... They offer genetic counseling (we took advantage of it and the counselor was very informative and helpful, glad we did this). ...
How was your experience with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Pfeifer was always very positive and encouraging in regards to treatments, medications, etc. The clinic was always very busy, so her time during morning monitoring appointments was rather limited, so those appointments were quick and to the point. When an issue did arise with one of her nurses, she was nice enough to offer that we should contact her directly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be patient and make sure you have questions ready when you do meet with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Pfeiffer was always very kind and honest when we had our one on one time. The morning monitoring hours were always very compact/rushed due, so it was always brief and to the point, while always remaining positive and encouraging.
Describe the protocols Samantha Pfeifer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
She diagnosed me as a having a "smidge of PCOS" as well as unexplained infertility. I did appreciate she taking all precautions before going through with any treatments (in my case there was some suspicion that my uterus bicornuate uterus so she recommended I go through an MRI to confirm. Also when I reported feeling extremely emotional when she prescribed clomid she switched me over to letrozole, which worked much better. She listed to my life situation and recommended an altered plan to proceed with IVF while my life (work and school responsibilities) got sorted out. My only kind of negative comment about the treatment strategy would be her lack of enthusiasm towards supplements. After doing some additional research I asked her thoughts on adding CoQ10, she was very unenthusiastic and said it couldn't hurt, but she also said that the vitamin/supplement industry is a multi-million dollar industry, etc. when I inquired about vitamin E and melatonin. I was a little taken aback, but respect her feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Crystal)
The front desk/reception staff (who also helped with insurance follow-up) was direct, but overall ok. I quickly learned it was a busy clinic and they did the best they could. There was a Practice Specialist, who was very personable and a good listener when the issue with the assigned nurse arose. The nurse I was assigned to, however, was very curt on the phone and insisted on phone only follow-up, even though email was preferred for my partner and me. After a mandatory IVF orientation class, when my partner asked a question, she laughed at him (there were other couples there too) and as she apologized after seeing our faces she laughed through her apology. I did not want to jeopardize our treatment and did not bring it up with the staff or doctor. I inquired about being switched to another nurse coordinator but was told that they were short staffed and we'd have to continue working with this particular nurse. From here the issues with follow-up got a bit delayed and unacceptable to the point that we decided to put our IVF on hold due to communication issues between the insurance/billing office and our insurance. I would say that a patient has to do all the legwork between the insurance and the clinic, and it can get quite complicated and unfortunately, the clinic does not offer too much guidance, so you are really on your own.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: the clinic is clean, presentable, state of the art, accessible. They do have really good doctors that listen and seem to care when you are with them (time is limited however as they all seem to have a heavy caseload). The front desk/reception is friendly and helpful once you get to know them. They offer genetic counseling (we took advantage of it and the counselor was very informative and helpful, glad we did this). Weakness: when it comes to billing and insurance the patient is left on their own to tackle. When we first joined we could communicate with the clinic via email (where we could email in questions, paperwork, etc.) however in the past year they switch out to everything being handled via phone. The assigned nurse we got also refused to communicate via email preferring to do so via phone. This did not work for us due to work/school commitments, so having email communication was preferred. Another weakness would have to be that information (in our case insurance pre-requirements for IVF) never got to the right person in time, so the patient was left to do multiple follow-ups with several people about the same thing. I wish the office would be better coordinated.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Luckily all of our IUI's were covered by my insurance. We did not proceed with IVF due to the issues we encountered, so we don't know what that would have cost us out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For us, the most negative experience was with a specific nurse. Unfortunately, this specific nurse was the one who would be my main contact/go-to once we were to start our actual IVF treatment. The fact that we were unable to switch to someone else put a halt on things. In addition to her specifically, the office revealed itself to be less than helpful when it came to dealing with insurance. We had to do multiple follow-ups, which added to our decision to halt our plans to proceed with IVF.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Goldschlag was very calm and collected during the whole process which is an nice trait to have...He would check in on my emotional state as well as my physical. He always returned phone calls within 24 hours if I asked to speak with him directly and he never made me feel rushed on the phone. He also understood that finances played a part in our decisions and helped us decide to not waste any more money on IUIs since we have no insurance coverage our money was better spent on IVF.
I did not like the fact that I ALWAYS had to leave a voicemail [at Weill Cornell] and then was called back. I never got a live person. This was extremely frustrating for me. I would have preferred some form for email ability since these are personal calls and very difficult to take in a small work office setting....The strength is that they have great labs and great doctors. The negatives is that it is a total factory. If you are looking for a lot of hand holding through the process this is NOT the pace for you. If you have a supper system outside of the doctors and just want the best medical care then Cornell is great. The waiting room can be intimidating since it's often packed for morning mornitiring.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag was very calm and collected during the whole process which is an nice trait to have since at time I was a basket case. He would check in on my emotional state as well as my physical. He always returned phone calls within 24 hours if I asked to speak with him directly and he never made me feel rushed on the phone. He also understood that finances played a part in our decisions and helped us decide to not waste any more money on IUIs since we have no insurance coverage our money was better spent on IVF. When I was having a hard time with the nurses he put me in touch with a head nurse to oversee my case which made me feel like he heard my complaint and really tried to fix the situation. Over great guy.
If you want to see him at daily monitoring then you can try to request him and if he's there he will see you. That helped me see him more often but he does travel through several offices so is not always in the upper east side office.
Dr. Goldschlag made me fee like a human but Cornell as a whole is a factory.
We started with injectables for IUI's since I was 36 when we started. Goldschlag suggested we not waste any time since my husband and I had been trying on our own for a year. I felt he took the time to really look for any causes -he saw a slightly misshapen uterus and then sent me for an MRI which helped to rule out some factors. We did 3 IUIs with injectables and then moved on to IVF at Goldschlag's recommendation. We did our egg retrieval and have transferred one bastocyst and are currently in the dreaded TWW.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Shanice Jackson and Shakhira)
Shanice the coordinator is somewhat cold in the beginning but I think it's party due to the sheer volume of patients she has to coordinate. I did not like the fact that I ALWAYS had to leave a voicemail and then was called back. I never got a live person. This was extremely frustrating for me. I would have preferred some form for email ability since these are personal calls and very difficult to take in a small work office setting. Half way through I was assigned a new nurse and had a terrible first experience with her. I told goldschlag about not and he addressed it with her and we worked through the problem.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Monitoring was from 6:30-8:30am 7 days a week. The waits could be like 1/2 hour but I did notice that once I switched from IUI to IVF the did move me along faster in the morning. They are efficient and quick it's just very high volume of women.
They give a handout with th expenses. The initial IVF cycle is $10.5K but that's not including medication or anything in the holdouts. I think it was roughly 15K without medication.
While some doctors would have advoses me to transfer more than one he made sure I understood the potential risk of twins. My husband and I really did not want to increase the chances for twins so we decided to go with one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Having to play phone tag with a fertility clinic is never fun. There was once that they did not call worhbmy protocol for evening injections and had to call the on call doctor. They called back quickly so it was an easy fix.
Treated 2016 - 2017
[Dr. Cholst] Ina was lovely but the process at WC [Weill Cornell] makes you feel like a #... I was in contact with the nurses more than Cholst, although she did do her best to be available for 2 discussions during the cycle and after our initial consults and tests...She is very nice and empathetic. I liked her as a person. I trusted her judgement. Something about her bedside manner is odd and/or misleading. And I was unclear as to how involved in my cycle she was as there were no changes and no conversations unless I requested. Her predictions were mostly right, but I felt like I was fighting a losing battle, and that she felt the same way.
Nurses [at Weill Cornell] were mostly available but at times hard to reach. And they forgot to call me to tell me to come for day 3 transfer....The process at WC makes you feel like a #. You see a lot of different doctors and dont hear from your main dr often. Youre not told how youre doing during the cycle and i was unclear as to how often my chart was reviewed by Doctor...too many patients too little personal approach too many different doctors speeding through ultrasounds not a personal feel...
How was your experience with Ina Cholst at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ina Cholst at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Demand more explanations and updates.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ina Cholst at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ina was lovely but the process at WC makes you feel like a #. You see a lot of different doctors and dont hear from your main dr often. Youre not told how youre doing during the cycle and i was unclear as to how often my chart was reviewed by Doctor. I was in contact with the nurses more than Cholst, although she did do her best to be available for 2 discussions during the cycle and after our initial consults and tests. The cycle was straightforward, it didnt feel personalized and i felt that a ball was dropped a few times- i wasnt contacted day of transfer- they forgot to call me, and I wasnt told that one embryo had a late fert until i was in the operating room for transfer. I was also triggered a day earlier than Dr. Cholst had predicted and had no follicles over 16. i think this was a mistake.
Describe the protocols Ina Cholst used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
300 gonal f; 150 menapur; week 2 add cetratide. I produced only 3 follicles, 1 fert, 1 late fert, 2 transferred, chemical pregnancy; the protocol was never altered, and I was never given estrogen levels or told follicle #s unless I asked or asked to see chart.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Holly Nadal)
Nurses were mostly available but at times hard to reach. And they forgot to call me to tell me to come for day 3 transfer.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
cattle call but well oiled in getting people in and out. they are good at speed; bad at bedside. over worked.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ina Cholst at Weill Cornell Medical College.
appx 12k for IVF procedures and 9k for meds
mentioned previously
Treated 2017
Once my hormone level tests came back, he [Dr. Spandorfer] became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids...I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them [Weill Cornell]. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me...If you like an anonymous and mechanical office for something this imporant, you'll love it here. Otherwise, I'd skip it...Nurses were fine- nothing memorable, nothing bad. Far kinder than the Dr. himself...No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
He simply should not be treating for infertility. I've lived in NYC my entire life and have never encountered someone with less bedside manner. Unacceptable, rude, unprofessional, and generally seems like he should probably retire.
Look elsewhere. Cornell on a whole doesn't have a great reputation. No personal care. I love my regualr ob/gyn there but the fertility practice is too big and factory-like.
If you have no strong reason to doubt your fertility, I'm sure Dr. Spandorfer would be fine. His initial impression is of sort of a big friendly teddy bear with a touch of frat boy who speaks in plain language. If however, you are in a situation where you think you will likely have a hard time becoming pregnant, I would move on. Once my hormone level tests came back, he became very short with me. Just said that it was very unlikely I'd have kids and when I asked questions, he was impatient and was rushing me out of there. He was blunt, cut me off so abruptly when I misunderstood something and seemed irritated. No compassion at all, just told me like he was giving the weather and left me sitting there with my pants off on the table as he rushed to the next patient. I felt so vulnerable and it was awful. He was however, always willing to have me come back to do a sonogram and blood tests. I was clear from day one that I was against donor conception for very personal reasons. He not once, not twice, but three times pushed it after I was 100% straightforward that I'd either not have children or adopt if that was my only option. Needs a lot of work with compassion and bedside manner. I've sinced moved on to a smaller office and had much better treatment from a kind and caring doctor. Awful
We didn't get that far- he was only interested in having me come in every week to do a sonogram, take blood, and charge me $1000's of dollars while at the same time acting like I was getting on his nerves and wasting his time. I went to another doctor aftwerwards who somehow managed to see me less often and got much more approved on my insurance.
About $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very little communication without dragging it out of them. I often felt confused and like I was asking a favor to have things explained to me.
Treated 2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I stuck with Dr. Goldschlag through 6 IUIs and 5 IVFs over the course of the past 4 years because I genuinely believe in and trust him. He is kind, compassionate and understanding of the setbacks that go along with this process. When I miscarried in the office, he was there to hold my hand, reassure me and just be a support system...sitting in the room with me for a good hour to personally handle my case and make sure I was OK/had someone who could come to get me. He is also a bit more cautious, which I personally preferred...slow, steady and ultimately successful. I was blessed to deliver my daughter in 2013 and am now pregnant with #2 - to which I owe Dr. G all the credit in the world. The one red flag for me was the fact that neither he nor his nursing staff ever identified my weight as an obstacle. My weight, at one point, dropped dangerously low and was never once flagged as an issue/nor was it ever mentioned that I should be seeking help before continuing to cycle. WARRIOR REVIEW
Be prepared that you will not see Dr. G at every monitoring appointment. BUT, you can always schedule time with him. Also, Dr. G takes a more cautious approach to treatment and protocols. If you are looking for an innovator or someone very aggressive, he may not be the right doctor for you. WARRIOR REVIEW
Cornell's practice as a whole is more like a factory. You sit in a packed waiting room every day with countless other women, see a rotation of nurses and fellows and don;t really build warm relationships with staff. The transfer/retrieval process is even worse - sitting for hours in a small waiting room wearing nothing but a robe, watching other women go in and out of the operating room, etc. It is not a warm and fuzzy place. Dr. G himself, on the other hand, is very warm and caring. He called me personally both times I miscarried, had an open door policy, and always remembered small tidbits I had shared. I think he is a wonderful doctor - his personality doesn't jive with the setting. WARRIOR REVIEW
My protocols remained fairly similar each time, as I was responding well to meds. For all IUIs, I was on either menopur or follistim - &gt; 5th IUI resulted in a successful pregnancy.
I found the nursing staff at Cornell to be hit or miss. Some of the nurses are super on top of things, promptly return phone calls, and are great at building a a semblance of a relationship. Others have been awful, providing incorrect instructions, taking forever to call back, seeming very overworked and stressed. The nurses also rotate so frequently that it is hard to build real, caring relationships. And, it is extremely frustrating that you can NEVER reach anyone directly. WARRIOR REVIEW
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell is like a factory - but they are highly successful. You must be super prepared to be a self advocate and follow up on EVERYTHING - from billing, to questions for nurses, to staying on top of your protocol and meds. The environment leaves much to be desired, with the awkwardness of the waiting rooms [in clinic and in hospital], lack of anonymity, lack of any type of patent coordinator. i stuck with the practice only because I loved my doctor. WARRIOR REVIEW
I was fortunate to have a good deal of insurance coverage.
Because of my size and my weight, Dr. G strongly encouraged the transfer of single embryos only. He was concerned about potential risks of a pregnancy with multiples [as was I!]

Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Kligman is very knowledgeable. When in person, he communicates decently and is patient when answering questions. However, the communication and decisions don't seem to be two-way. After my first failed IUI, I asked to start IVF next given my age and for family planning purposes. However, he dismissed my request and made me do another IUI which failed again, meaning a few months slipped by before I started my first IVF cycle.
Cornell has a great reputation. I've spoken with doctors and embryologists at other clinics who speak highly of Cornell and its labs. But, Cornell also has a high patient volume. That means that it seems like a zoo during morning monitoring, and you will rarely see the same nurse/doctor twice. Getting personal attention is very difficult....It's a zoo, but it is well run....Cornell treats a high volume of patients and as such, during monitoring, I was seen by various nurses, residents, and doctors.
How was your experience with Isaac Kligman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Isaac Kligman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kligman is a better communicator in person. If possible, try to see him vs talking to him on the phone.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Isaac Kligman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
During my 3 cycles with Dr. Kligman, I only saw him a handful of times. Cornell treats a high volume of patients and as such, during monitoring, I was seen by various nurses, residents, and doctors.
Describe the protocols Isaac Kligman used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Egg freezing: Antagonist protocol IUI #1: Natural IUI #2: With Clomid IVF #1: Antagonist protocol IVF #2: Antagonist protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had very little interaction with my primary nurse. I saw her once at the start of each cycle to go over medications.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It's a zoo, but it is well run.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Isaac Kligman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had to pay out of pocket for IVF cycles, given I had my eggs frozen a few years before. My insurance company would not cover IVF due to my frozen eggs, and Dr. Kligman recommended doing a fresh IVF cycle before using the frozen eggs.
Describe Isaac Kligman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had issues getting the estrogen patch, given it was not covered by my insurance. It took days to resolve with Cornell. I luckily had patches from my previous cycle that I could use, but had I not had those patches, I would have missed the first few days of patching.

Treated 2014 - 2017
While Dr. Goldschlag is clearly a caring and dedicated doctor and his practice coordinator Shanise is his biggest asset, no single doctor or doctor/patient coordinator duo can make up for the extreme institutional disorganization that plagues Weill Cornell/CRM...I also would have liked more information along the way without a lot of prodding/questioning, he's largely a man of few words. My biggest disappointment/frustration was a lack of communication which I suspect was due to balancing a large practice, both when there was good news (surprise natural pregnancy) followed by the need to request a call when there was bad news (chemical pregnancy), which ultimately was the impetus for me leaving Weill Cornell/CRM.
We experienced a truly avoidable medication debacle that set us back several thousands of dollars. With better support and education from Weill Cornell/CRM (which we received at two other NYC facilities, so we know our expectations weren't unrealistic), this literally never would have happened. It was a truly crushing blow during what was already a highly stressful, expensive process...Weill Cornell/CRM has the power of research and cross-collaboration with other departments over time under their belt. Patients benefit from that, maybe even without knowing it. Their biggest weakness is size, a lack of personalized care, disorganization and certain staffers who bring down the efficacy of the overall operation, either with their own inefficiency or simply a bad attitude.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is a caring, compassionate doctor though I ultimately found him overly optimistic in my particular case. I also would have liked more information along the way without a lot of prodding/questioning, he's largely a man of few words. My biggest disappointment/frustration was a lack of communication which I suspect was due to balancing a large practice, both when there was good news (surprise natural pregnancy) followed by the need to request a call when there was bad news (chemical pregnancy), which ultimately was the impetus for me leaving Weill Cornell/CRM.
Be prepared to advocate for yourself and do a tremendous amount of independent research and legwork when it comes to all things related to your cycle including prior authorization, insurance coverage, billing and medications.
While Dr. Goldschlag is clearly a caring and dedicated doctor and his practice coordinator Shanise is his biggest asset, no single doctor or doctor/patient coordinator duo can make up for the extreme institutional disorganization that plagues Weill Cornell/CRM. The prior authorization process is basically an exercise in begging to get things done and a lack of education/support from the billing team resulted in a medication debacle that set us back several thousands of dollars.
Follistim/Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelex + hCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Goldschlag's biggest asset is his practice coordinator Shanise. She's a true gem. One of his nurses is particularly compassionate and consistently helpful, the others are robots who are condescending and act like they're doing you a favor by returning your call or sharing updates.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
$10,500 IVF base price + cost of medications ($10k, in my case)
Treated 2017
I felt like Dr. Spandorfer didn't really explain what was the next step. It was like, here is the Clomid, the nurse will explain when to take it, and then come back next week. At the next appointment it was like ok you are ready for the IUI, come back tomorrow with your husband. It felt so overwhelming and confusing. I had never taking fertility drugs before, so I had no idea what the steps were. By the third IUI, I finally understood the process, but it was very hard to figure out initially. It was almost like he expected me to have done my research.
The clinic [Weill Cornell] was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.... The insurance process was the biggest nightmare. Cornell took my insurance, but the center did not. This was never explained to me until I got my first bill. I had no idea that my procedures required pre-certification, and no one explained this to me either. I spent more time on the phone with my insurance company trying to get this settled than anything else.
Make sure you know in advance what your protocol is.
I came to see Dr. Spandorfer after my husband and I had been trying for 1 year. He reviewed all of my paperwork and addressed my initial questions, but told me to get all these tests done (HSG, Saline Sonogram, genetic testing) and then come back and see him. I realize this is the process for new patients to rule out all possibilities of why you are infertile, but I felt a little dismissed since I came to him with a mound of paperwork from previous doctors. I guess I more expected him to go over my history and perhaps see if something from my past was causing the issues. Everything came back normal and unfortunately I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and I was to start Clomid. I am the type who wants to know everything, and when it is happening, but I felt like it was very hard to get answers. He didn't explain the process or next steps, and at my next appointment I was told I would be getting an IUI and my husband needed to be available. I was so overwhelmed. I felt like i relied more on friends for answers, than the doctor. Also, the office at Cornell caused me the most stress of the entire process. Getting someone on the phone, figuring out insurance, Pre-certification ... everything was a total nightmare with this office and I was constantly figuring all of this out on my own. I ended up leaving the practice after my third IUI.
I took clomid, 50mg at for the first round and then for my 2nd and 3rd I was bumped up to 100mg since I responded fairly well. Unfortunately with unexplained infertility there was not too much for the doctor to do. The 1st and 2nd resulted in a negative beta, and my 3rd produced a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl )
My nurse, Cheryl, was great. However, the office staff (billing, Dr. Spandorfers assistant) was a nightmare. My insurance required pre-certification, and since this was my first experience with fertility treatments, I had no idea how to go about doing this. The nursing team barely walked me through the process. I spent hours calling insurance and coordinating with my nursing team. The wrong prescriptions were called in causing a delay in my trigger shot.. it was all very unorganized.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic was a nightmare at best. I cannot honestly think of any strengths except the wait time was manageable. Weaknesses: They are unresponsive. Can never get anyone on the phone. Do not explain anything or assist with insurance.
Cornell accepted my insurance, but their 'center' did not. The center does everything for IVF and some IUI procedures. Very hard to understand. Made for some very confusing and expensive bills.
Did not do this.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Chung provided a good overview of the different levels of med protocols that the Cornell reproductive program utilizes (there are five different levels). He also explained that the 3 key ingredients for success are egg, sperm, and uterus. When my first IVF cycle that led to a transfer failed, he explained that it was a matter of luck. He remained optimistic and encouraged us to keep trying. He said that it's a matter of finding a good egg. From my perspective, my experience at Cornell would have been more optimal had I been able to see Dr. Chung all throughout monitoring, retrievals and transfers. Also, my very first IVF cycle was canceled because the eggs did not respond to the injectibles. I have since consulted with three other REs who stated they would not have recommended that particular protocol for my situation. But I do understand that it is generally a matter of trial and error and that each woman can respond differently to med protocols.
Hundreds of women come for monitoring and appointments every day [to Cornell]. Dr. Chung did his best to explain things but it is difficult to spend more than 15 minutes with a patient. It is also difficult to call or email and get a response directly from your specific doctor. After 4pm or 5pm there is an answering service. A message is sent to the attending on call for that particular evening and you get a call back about an hour or two later.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own health advocate and ask detailed questions.
Hundreds of women come for monitoring and appointments every day. Dr. Chung did his best to explain things but it is difficult to spend more than 15 minutes with a patient. It is also difficult to call or email and get a response directly from your specific doctor. After 4pm or 5pm there is an answering service. A message is sent to the attending on call for that particular evening and you get a call back about an hour or two later.
Cycle #1 - Micro-dose Lupron 2x daily 20units = 40 units daily until trigger Result - canceled after 10 days because no response Cycle #2 - Estrogen priming with patch commencing one week after ovulation; Gonal F 300u and Menopur 150u daily; Cetrotide Result - three eggs, 2 retrieved, 1 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 cell no fragmentation; BFN Cycle #3 - same protocol as cycle #2 Result - 4 eggs, 4 retrieved, 1 immature, 2 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 and 6 cell; BFN
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Juliana Shen and Christine Lu)
My primary nurses were responsive and compassionate. With regard to the nursing staff, because of the hundreds of patients, occasionally there will be a prescription mishap (forget to call pharmacy or call the wrong pharmacy) or provided with wrong instructions (instructed to come back next day for monitoring and blood work when you were just there that morning and follicles are still small).
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has good success rates, skilled physicians, and good labs. However, the high volume of patients serves as a barrier to quality individual time with your RE. You will see different RE's throughout monitoring, retrieval, and transfer.
Yes, it is a cattle call with hundreds of women waiting for blood draws and ultrasound. There were a handful of times I waited an hour to get my blood drawn. Once I waited over an hour and had to leave to get to work. I did not have blood drawn or tested that day and no one seemed to noticed I missed it.
IVF $10,500 ICSI $2,630
Cornell recommended 3-4 eggs for my age group.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My prescription had not been called in and it was after their office hours so left a message with the answering service and waited an hour at the pharmacy. A nurse left a voicemail on a Sunday evening instructing me to go back for monitoring the next morning. I had to leave a message with answering service and attendant on call called me back an hour later. Attendant confirmed I did not have to go back for monitoring the next morning.
Treated 2016 - 2017
[Dr. Steven Spandorfer] himself was great....called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care...3 IUIs with clomid...great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach...The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs.
The nurses work hard here, however the only method of communication that Cornell used when I went here was phone calls. When you called them you always had to leave a voicemail. The nurse would always call you back, but it could be hours later and would be at a random time. This did not work for me as I work full time in client service and can't be available when a nurse decides to call me back. There was no email or online portal.
Dr. Spandorfer himself was great. I called me personally from his cell phone whilst commuting on the train to discuss test results and was a very competent doctor. However, at this practice you see your actual doctor fairly infrequently, and the clinic's antiquated communication style got in the way of patient care.
Speak to someone about how Cornell works and what to expect before going to this particular clinic for treatment. The doctors are great but the clinic definitely has a factory approach.
The staff here was perfectly nice, however no one would recognize you and it definitely had a factory feel.
3 IUIs with clomid.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell certainly has a factory feel to it. I felt the front desk was quite rude or dense sometimes; for instance I once was told to come in for a blood draw but wasn't told what time to come in. I called and asked if I could come anytime and specified that I was on my way in as we spoke. When I arrived ten minutes later they told me that they actually close for lunch between 12 and 1pm. Other times I would go in and the front desk would act annoyed by me checking in or tell me that I was at the wrong check-in desk of the two available as if this is something I'm just supposed to know. The monitoring hours are early and a narrow window - they were 6:30 to 8:30 am on weekdays when I went here. This wasn't convenient for me personally. The worst part about my experience was the poor communication between staff and patients. There was no online portal or email; you had to leave a voicemail for your nurse coordinator and then wait for her to call you back at a random time during the day when you may or may not be available. It was maddening for anyone trying to balance a busy work life with fertility treatments as well as being ineffective.
100% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The incorrect dose of clomid was called into the pharmacy for one of my IUIs. I found it nearly impossible to fix this issue due to the poor communication here until I finally insisted on waiting on the emergency line to speak to someone about it instead of leaving voicemails back and forth. Additionally, I experienced a chemical pregnancy while out of town. I repeatedly told the nurses that I was on a business trip in California, however every day someone kept calling asking where I was to check hcg levels. When I switched clinics I realized that it took speaking to several nurses before someone marked in my records that I was out of town.

Treated 2015 - 2016
I mistakenly paid out of pocket for two cycles [at Cornell] which were actually covered by my insurance. This was later credited back to me after I spotted the error and complained...Clinic is a zoo. No point-person designated from nursing team to your case. No means of contacting your doctor directly...Dr. Kang was very well-meaning, but she completely missed the mark in diagnosing my case with her cut-and-dry approach to my two late first-trimester losses. She concludes, based on my losses, thar my egg quality was more poor than my age of 32 would suggest, and chalked it up to genetics. What she failed to discover was that I do indeed have a mild case of PCOS. She was aware that my younger sister had a strong case of PCOS and never bothered to run any additional diagnostic blood work (testosterone levels, hemoglobin a1c), which are suggestive that I have it. If she had not been so dismissive, my issues might have been treated simply with metformin. Instead, I had 5 unsuccessful cycles with her over the course of a year. Complete waste of time. In addition, when it came to my thyroid, which was slightly elevated, she started me off on too high of a dose. When we later dialed it back, my body had become resistant to the lower dose. She should have been more measured in treating this condition. Similarly, with her dosage suggestion on my first injectable cycle, my estrogen skyrocketed and I was at risk of hyperstimulation. She never cautioned me not to exercise and should definitely have kept me on a more conservative dose.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If yours is a very clear-cut case, you'll be okay. If there's the slightest ambiguity, however, you would be better served by a different RE.
I saw Dr. Kabg frequently during the course of monitoring, which helped me feel more connected to her.
As a means to address what she decided was poor egg quality, my treatments aimed to produce superovulation, thus increasing the possibility of releasing a healthy egg. I released multiple eggs with each treatment, and only had one pregnancy--a chemical pregnancy--resulting on the 5th cycle of treatment. This, after having gotten pregnant naturally relatively easily prior to seeing her.
No real point-person. One particular nurse was lazy, would have me coordinate directly with pharmacy to obtain contact info and to confirm they received the prescription.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I mistakenly paid out of pocket for two cycles which were actually covered by my insurance. This was later credited back to me after I spotted the error and complained.