Zev Rosenwaks

Westchester
657 Main Street
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Treated 2018 - 2019
The Tribeca office staff [at Weill Cornell] always remembered my name...Hannah was Dr. Reichman's nurse, whom I worked with before she went out on maternity leave. She was always cheerful and willing to help, but in most cases she did not know the extent of my discussions with Dr. Reichman, so I preferred to speak directly with the doctor...Front desk is very friendly. I chose this clinic due to early monitoring hours before work
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman was one of five REs in the NYC area my husband and I consulted with. He was optimistic with my case from the beginning, even when I felt pessimistic. I had come to see him having just experienced my very first pregnancy, which became a miscarriage at 10 weeks. I was emotional but had my heart set on doing everything possible to becoming pregnant again. I micromanaged him. I wanted to handle every aspect of my journey, from the IVF protocols to the timing of transfer. I second guessed his nurses constantly. I emailed Dr. Reichman incessantly with compromises, worries, and left-field inquiries. He almost always answered in detail, which is something that I have yet to come across in other NYC physicians who are as busy as he is. He did not have unlimited patience, but he was always willing to sit down and touch base with us to alleviate fears, or to set our patient-physician relationship back on track after an argument.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Advocate for yourself. Dr. Reichman is incredibly smart. If your requests are substantiated, he will compromise with you on reasonable grounds.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
The Tribeca office staff always remembered my name, and Dr. Reichman kept detailed notes on my case.
Describe the protocols David Reichman used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
We dove straight into IVF due to my diminished ovarian reserve. Dr. Reichman had pitched starting with IUI/letrozole, but he supported my more aggressive choice. I insisted on a natural start, resulting in 8 retrieved, 5 fertilized, and 4 frozen. We did not PGS test. The second cycle, he proposed using BCP. I was afraid of being oversuppressed and did not want to try this modification, but he assured me it would give good results. Unfortunately, I developed a lead follicle and he canceled that cycle. The third cycle, he proposed estrogen priming. I also fought him on this. Although I had 7 follicles going into retrieval, only 2 were retrieved. Both were alive at day 6, frozen, and confirmed to be PGS normal. I took some time off after the last cycle to undergo several back to back surgeries. In January of 2019, I insisted Dr. Reichman raise a request to the embryology lab for them to transfer the second-best graded frozen embryo in my batch. That FET resulted in my current pregnancy - I am due in three weeks.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell Tribeca - biggest pro is that the physician performs the monitoring ultrasounds. I was able to see Dr. Reichman at almost every single monitoring appointment during the week. In addition, the clinic is clean, and the calls from nurses during the cycle are consistent and organized. Front desk is very friendly. I chose this clinic due to early monitoring hours before work, and the fact that it was a 5 minute walk from my apartment. Weakness: you do not get to see your doctor on weekends and holidays unless he/she happens to be on call. My weekend treks up to the UES office were always much worse experiences (i.e., longer wait times, unfamiliar physicians, and several incompetent nurses).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
If you are willing to be at the office right at 6:30, there is almost no wait time. I made it my priority to always be in by 7am, and never had an issue being late to work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My husband and I are fortunate to both have some fertility coverage from work. During 2018 when we were banking embryos, we were on his insurance, which covered the entirety of the 1st and 2nd round. We paid about $15,000 out of pocket for the 3rd round.
Describe David Reichman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Reichman was adamant on single embryo transfer with me, citing my age and body type (slim/petite).

Treated 2018 - 2020
We did 5 IUIs with Dr. Reichman with different types of medications from clomid to injectables with no success. We went through 5 rounds of IVF with him as well all with the antagonist protocol. During the first 3 cycles the dosing was similar - on the last two cycles he increased the Follistim since I had gained weight. Unfortunately, my egg quality was poor and I am a low responder.
I found it frustrating that no one on the team [at Weill Cornell] seemed to follow my case closely - you need to be your own advocate. I had to seek out acupuncture and supplements on my own as the clinic does not seem to include those in their regimen. I am incredibly disappointed with my results at the clinic. The first three unsuccessful cycles were attributed to my husband's poor sperm quality. We switched to donor sperm. The following three cycles were then attributed to poor egg quality. Frustrating to not know if egg quality played a role in the first three cycles and that we could have perhaps gone with a different protocol in cycles four through six based on that information.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman performed all ultrasounds during morning monitoring, which was great. It gave me an opportunity to see and speak with the doctor directly even if for a short amount of time. Dr. Reichman is also very accessible via email. He was always empathetic to my losses. I felt like he was always rushed and in a hurry. He has a matter of fact way of expressing information that does not always leave time to foster discussion or questions. Very intelligent and clearly wants to help his patients.
Arrive with your questions ready to go at your appointments.
Dr. Reichman has a very busy practice and while I was able to email with him frequently, I felt he may not understand my desperation at trying to conceive. He was always able to express sympathy, but never did much to think outside the box and change protocols. Since I have undergone so many cycles, staff did remember my name and face, which was comforting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine was alway responsive to emails, which is my preferred means of communication. She was always compassionate when delivering bad news, and had many helpful tips on purchasing meds, etc.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The weekend monitoring hours on the UES are a cattle call, but they work very hard to get you in and out in a reasonable time period. I found it frustrating that no one on the team seemed to follow my case closely - you need to be your own advocate. I had to seek out acupuncture and supplements on my own as the clinic does not seem to include those in their regimen. I am incredibly disappointed with my results at the clinic. The first three unsuccessful cycles were attributed to my husband's poor sperm quality. We switched to donor sperm. The following three cycles were then attributed to poor egg quality. Frustrating to not know if egg quality played a role in the first three cycles and that we could have perhaps gone with a different protocol in cycles four through six based on that information.
I highly recommend arriving at the office exactly at 6:30 am to beat the rush, otherwise there will be a wait time.
I paid for one IVF cycle out of pocket, approximately $25,000. I also paid for IUI out of pocket. Prices significantly spiked in 2020 - in 2019 an IUI cost $750 and in 2020 I believe the cost was close to $1200.
Given my age he would only transfer a max of 2 embryos
Treated 2019 - 2020
He [Dr. Pereira] has incredibly bedside manner and was able to explain complicated matters in a way that made you feel at ease. He was simply brilliant, caring, and compassionate. He made decisions in consultation with our needs / schedules without judgement. He was always available to help us even outside of office hours. He was incredible at remembering details about our specific situation without looking up notes. He genuinely cared.
Even if your OB and other aspects of your treatment are all at Weill Cornell, it seems that the offices do not necessary share information with one another specifically test results even though it's all for the same treatment. My OB who was also at Weill Cornell had no idea what tests were already performed by the fertility clinic etc...I saw several nurses throughout my visits and some had great manners and others didn't. One particular occasion a nurse didn't specify to me that that the Tribeca office was closed on the weekend and i missed the appointment and this was during covid so getting around was tough.
How was your experience with Nigel Pereira at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He has incredibly bedside manner and was able to explain complicated matters in a way that made you feel at ease. He was simply brilliant, caring, and compassionate. He made decisions in consultation with our needs / schedules without judgement. He was always available to help us even outside of office hours. He was incredible at remembering details about our specific situation without looking up notes. He genuinely cared.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nigel Pereira at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be frank, and open. No questions is too dumb for him to answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nigel Pereira at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Pereira is by far one of the best doctor's I have ever worked with. I genuinely believe that we were lucky to have found him. He is simply brilliant, with amazing bedside manners and incredibly responsive. No question was too small and he always personally called or email us back with any questions we may have. He made himself available to chat with us even if its in after hours or on the weekends, and even provided us with his cell phone number! Even once we were successful and went back to our regular OB, he still personally answered any questions we may still have. He cares about his patient, he is able to communicate with us in a way that made us feel comfortable and knowledgeable throughout the entire process. We knew several people who went through him, and everyone is of the same opinion. He is simply the best in his field and we would recommend him in a heartbeat.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nigel Pereira at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I was under insurance and after our initial appointment, we were advised that my husband should also get his bloodwork done. We received a bill for the bloodwork as his insurance had a high deductible. We didn't realize that this blood work could have been done later on in the treatment process which would have been helpful as we could have avoided the payment.
Treated 2015 - 2019
Dr Elias is a very good listener who is willing to do everything he can to achieve our goals together. Our situation is very complicated with very low chances to conceive, but he never made us feel that it was impossible. He's ready to explore every treatment, every solution for us to get pregnant. I will never change for another doctor because he's really aware of our situation and always tries to do the best for us.
This clinic [Weill Cornell] strengths are that they are really advanced on a technological, medical, research basis. The lab is really amazing and always try to improve, find new treatments. ... Weaknesses are the costs of course... You have to pay for success. Some people find also that it's like a factory because there is so much women and patient who are dealing with that and sometimes you will maybe have the feeling to be treated like a number.
How was your experience with Rony Elias at Weill Cornell Medical College?
As I said before, he's willing to try everything for us to get pregnant. I am deeply convinced that he thinks of our situation outside our appointments with him, because he always come back with new solutions or treatment. I have a really good feeling with him and give him all of my trust. I am truly convinced that if I get pregnant one day, it will be with his help.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rony Elias at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Don't hesitate to ask him everything you wish for. He will find a way if he can. I believe he's truly a good person beside his doctor qualifications.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rony Elias at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the protocols Rony Elias used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I don't have any trouble to conceive, but my husband has. On the first IVF round, we didn't find any sperm to try a embryo transfer. Later, he got in touch with my husband's doctor and find some new way to create sperm. So we got one embryo to transfer. Didn't get pregnant. During next years, we had the chance to have some more embryo to transfer, I did two transfer of two embryo (day 3 each) . Didn't get pregnant either. Now I think he wants to change something, I will have to see with him next time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Artusa and Jane Mary Taraf )
At first I was communicating with Lisa Artusa, she was really sweet, caring and always there when I had questions. It's been two years or so now that a new nurse came (Jane Mary Taraf) and she is also amazing. Always there, responsive, so sweet. I have some trouble for my bloodworks because I have some really little veins. I almost faint everytime and she's here to take care of me, she stays until everything is over and she has so much compassion. Thanks God she's here! I feel like I can tell her everything.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
This clinic strengths are that they are really advanced on a technological, medical, research basis. The lab is really amazing and always try to improve, find new treatments. If you are dealing with a severe trouble to conceive, don't hesitate one second to go to them because they will surely find a way to get out. Weaknesses are the costs of course... You have to pay for success. Some people find also that it's like a factory because there is so much women and patient who are dealing with that and sometimes you will maybe have the feeling to be treated like a number. But I will definitely tell you something, most of fertility clinics are like that. This doesn't bother me or my husband, but I can understand that some women prefer more intimacy.
Sometimes it's really crowded and you have to wait a little but it's really not that long. Doctors are very professional during ultrasound and nurses very caring for bloodworks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rony Elias at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I really can't tell because he's part of general costs that we pay for IVF.
Describe Rony Elias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I'm young (28) and when I started IVF with him I was 25, he insists of not putting a lot of embryo at the same time; he prefer to put one, or maximum two.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Weill Cornell has a large volume of patients, and it's not cheap. But hopefully you get top notch treatment and that will make it all worthwhile. For daily monitoring, come as early as you can (ideally before 7 AM) to get in & out more quickly.... Thus far in my treatment at CRM, I have not felt like I had one particular assigned nurse or clinical coordinator. Would be really helpful for them to establish a single point of contact up front for clinical questions/issues, and in particular if you could communicate
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Kang has been great thus far - I appreciated that she did not immediately push us to IVF and instead took a more pragmatic approach of trying IUI. She did my first IUI, and then the 2nd cycle I asked to do a double IUI, both of which were performed by nurse practitioners. One thing I will say is I feel like the timing of the IUIs may not have been ideal. First cycle was only 22 hours post trigger (which seemed early), and 2nd cycle had IUIs at 26 & 51 hours (2nd seemed really late). I would prefer they teach you how to administer the trigger shot at home on your own so you can get the timing closer to 36 hours (my IUIs were all in the morning about 9:30-11). We're still awaiting results of 2nd cycle, but if it didn't work I'm going to push for that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
The clinic is busy and they talk fast. Be prepared with questions for each visit with her, or you can call & talk to her assistant (Diana) or the nursing staff. Especially when it's your first cycle I feel like you need to do this or you may wish later on you'd done things differently (it's expensive you want to maximize your odds of success each round).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Based upon the process thus far, we are happy we chose Dr. Kang. She has a nice demeanor, and is very easy to talk to but also professional & clinical. I've been fortunate to see her for all my monitoring ultrasounds at CRM except one (which was with an RE fellow). Given the volume of patients they have at the clinic, she is good with remembering our specifics and has been helpful in keeping our spirits up during what can be an emotional, difficult process.
Describe the protocols Hey-Joo Kang used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
First cycle, I went in for baseline bloodwork & ultrasound on Day 2, then took 100 mg Clomid/day for Days 2-6, monitoring bloodwork & ultrasound Days 12, 13 & 15, and trigger shot on Day 15 with IUI next morning (22 hours after trigger; 2.25 hours post collection). Had 3 mature follicles (16, 20, & 21) on day of trigger. Did not work and Dr. Kang said afterward that clomid had resulted in thinning of the uterine lining (endometrial stripe was 6.8 when triggered), so we would try letrozole/femara next round. Second cycle did baseline bloodwork & ultrasound on Day 4, with 5 mg letrozole/day for Days 4-8, monitoring bloodwork & ultrasound Days 11 & 15, and trigger shot on Day 15 with double IUI next 2 mornings (26 hours after trigger, 1.5 hours post collection, & 51 hours after trigger, 2 hours post collection). Had only 2 mature follicles (21 & 14) on letrozole but better uterine lining (9.4), but given my age if this cycle doesn't work she recommended going back to clomid to increase our odds with more follicles.
Thus far in my treatment at CRM, I have not felt like I had one particular assigned nurse or clinical coordinator. Would be really helpful for them to establish a single point of contact up front for clinical questions/issues, and in particular if you could communicate with them more directly via email, secure message etc. Sometimes you are not in a workspace conducive to being on the phone talking about your treatment, and at those times having an alternate method by which to communicate with their staff would be invaluable.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell has a large volume of patients, and it's not cheap. But hopefully you get top notch treatment and that will make it all worthwhile. For daily monitoring, come as early as you can (ideally before 7 AM) to get in & out more quickly. Also, it seems in 2019 they have enhanced their financial collection efforts - I had not even invoiced yet for coinsurance from my 1st cycle and they were asking me to pay the balance prior to starting my 2nd cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Our insurance has a $30K lifetime max for infertility treatment so I've been tracking costs of everything really carefully. Would recommend putting it in a spreadsheet right away because there will be A LOT of insurance claims and it can get very confusing. Here's how it breaks down thus far (total for both husband & myself): o Diagnosis (physician consult, bloodwork/ultrasound, semen analysis & HSG test) = Billed charges ~$5,700; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,200; our cost sharing (deductible & coinsurance) ~ $900. o Genetic Testing (through Mt. Sinai Genomics/Sema4) = Billed charges ~$20,500; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $1,400; our cost sharing ~ $500 ** I think the billing staff at CRM said if the genetic testing was not covered by insurance it would only cost a few hundred dollars each, so was completely shocked by the enormous amount billed to our insurance. Wish they would have told us about that in advance (and fortunately our insurance confirmed genetic testing would not go toward our $30K lifetime maximum).** o IUI cycle #1 (medical) = Billed charges ~$4,600; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,300; our cost sharing ~ $300; o IUI cycle #1 (Rx-clomid & ovidrel) = after discounts our insurance paid ~ $70; our cost sharing ~ $130 o IUI cycle #2 (medical-estimate) = Billed charges ~$4,700; after discounts our insurance paid ~ $3,500; our cost sharing ~ $400; o IUI cycle #2 (Rx-letrozole & ovidrel) = after discounts our insurance paid ~ $50; our cost sharing ~ $120
Describe Hey-Joo Kang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
N/A - have not discussed since we are only doing IUI so far.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
For my 1st cycle it was a bit of a scramble to get the trigger shot (ovidrel) in time. CRM's prior authorization team did not submit the request to my Rx insurance when they should have, and it resulted in me having to spend a lot of time on the phone with CVS Caremark mail order specialty pharmacy trying to ensure I could get it in time from them or someplace else & pay out of pocket. At the end of the day it worked out (and absolute worst case you could pay for script in-house at CRM) but it was a lot of stress that could have been avoided if they acted in a more timely fashion. Just be sure to keep on top of them, and call Dr. Kang's assistant, Diana, if you run into a problem.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Melnick is very smart, sensitive, and efficient. Early on (maybe our first meeting), she told us that she likes to take the stress off of her patients and that they will be monitoring all of my hormones, etc.. I think she made this statement after I had asked about or shown my ovulation testing (urine strips vs. temperature).... I think Dr. Melnick’s philosophy is that unless we ask for details about things or have specific questions, she will continue with the next course without giving a lot of details or explanation.
The facilities [Weill Cornell] are great. The waiting area has nice light and comfortable seating. The clinic is quite big and feels very different from seeing Dr. Melnick at her office, which is a few blocks away and quite small (but, also new and very nice!). Even though there are comfortable couches, due to it’s size - it feels like a hospital. I have had to wait quite a while a few days. My first trigger shot, I somehow ended up waiting for like 2 hours (there was a class
How was your experience with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Melnick is very smart, sensitive, and efficient. Early on (maybe our first meeting), she told us that she likes to take the stress off of her patients and that they will be monitoring all of my hormones, etc.. I think she made this statement after I had asked about or shown my ovulation testing (urine strips vs. temperature). My husband and I have relief with this statement for sure, but we also want to know and wrap our heads around things. My first bloodwork was uploaded onto MyChart (Weill Cornell uses this system), which was great because we could go in and see - but all of the following results were never uploaded. I think Dr. Melnick’s philosophy is that unless we ask for details about things or have specific questions, she will continue with the next course without giving a lot of details or explanation. (Maybe this is standard practice because nothing was alarming in any of my test results) This has worked out well for us as it has taken the stress away at times. It has also made us gather a list of questions to ask before a visit. Dr. Melnick was recommended to me by a friend and I see why. For me (and I’m sure others), she’s been a great balance of warmth and cool / calm / efficiency.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Morning appointments have always been really easy to get in and out for me and come with specific questions to ask as your meeting with her will be quick.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Melnick and her team are very warm and very efficient. Most of my appointments have been in the morning before work (as it seems with most of her patients). She teaches and has surgeries during the regular hours I would have possibly been able to go in. My experience was always one of an efficient morning with caring people getting things done (reminded me of a family environment getting ready to go school / work in the morning).
Describe the protocols Alexis Melnick used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I have had 7 rounds of Clomid and 4 IUI’s. My body responded well the first month to Clomid (I believe it was 50mg), but the second month only 1 or 2 follicles so the third cycle the prescription was increased to two tablets. This worked well for the last 5 cycles. Everything she prescribed made a lot of sense. Our insurance does not cover IVF - and, if it did we probably would have tried IVF after 2 IUI’s. She told us that the percentage of IUI working goes down each time, but she worked with us with what made sense financially. Because our insurance deductible was paid, we continued with IUI’s and Clomid through the rest of the calendar year. Now we are gearing up for IVF in this new year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Holly Nadal)
Holly the nurse who helps with prescriptions and such is super helpful - responds well to emails and is very informative. The other staff - Connie (manager?), Lindsay (nurse who assists Dr. Melnick and takes bloods), and Jersey (front desk) are all very nice and work really well as a team.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The facilities are great. The waiting area has nice light and comfortable seating. The clinic is quite big and feels very different from seeing Dr. Melnick at her office, which is a few blocks away and quite small (but, also new and very nice!). Even though there are comfortable couches, due to it’s size - it feels like a hospital. I have had to wait quite a while a few days. My first trigger shot, I somehow ended up waiting for like 2 hours (there was a class - it is a teaching facility). After that, my husband always gave me the trigger shot. All of the staff are very nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I now am out-of-pocket that I’m starting the process for IVF and I just paid $600 for my sounding. The IUI procedures along with all the bloodwork and ultrasounds were paid by insurance and I saw some very bizarre negotiations between the clinic and the insurance so I don’t have straight numbers for them. All of my medications needed pre-authorization and I would pay out of pocket mainly due to timing for Clomid, which is quite inexpensive.
Describe Alexis Melnick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I haven’t really gotten to a conversation with her about this yet. She said that it’s most efficient for the clinic to fertilize all of the eggs that are extracted and freeze extras - but we didn’t talk about how many would be transferred.
Treated 2018 - 2019
However, he overlooked something that could have saved my husband and I months of trying to conceive. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS on my first visit to him, he assumed that the problem was me and therefore did not recommend that my husband get tested as well. ... we finally pushed for a semen analysis (although he didnt recommend it yet) and found out that my husband had a low sperm count, at which point Dr. Reichman recommended IUI.
busy office [Weill Cornell] and you have to come in early, sometimes a wait but never more than 30 minutes. And usually they take you within 5 mins of your arrival. ... eveyrone who works there is really nice and friendly. ... ALso sometimes you have to wait in the room for the doctor to come in for 10 mins but not more. usually very fast.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Reichman is a great doctor and he clearly cares a lot about his patients and is very responsive. Also extremely bright and has a nice bedside manner. However, he overlooked something that could have saved my husband and I months of trying to conceive. Since I was diagnosed with PCOS on my first visit to him, he assumed that the problem was me and therefore did not recommend that my husband get tested as well. After 6 months of Letrozole (which worked very well for me and got me to ovulate on the first try) and not getting pregnant, we finally pushed for a semen analysis (although he didnt recommend it yet) and found out that my husband had a low sperm count, at which point Dr. Reichman recommended IUI. After 3 IUI's and still not pregnant, WE asked Dr. Reichman if he thought it would be a good idea to see a reproductive urologist and he said it couldn't hurt and gave us a recommendation. We ended up seeing the urologist who told my husband that he had a double varicocele on both testicles and he had surgery to remove them. Now it has been 3 months post surgery and still not pregnant but at our last IUI a week ago, his sperm count had trippled. Howeevr, no we are finding out that there may be another problem with his capscore (ability of sperm to fertilize the egg) and the only way to deal with that is through IVF, however we want to wait at least until 6-7 months post-op to start IVF. In my opinion, Dr. Reichman is a great doctor, but he should have told us from the start to get my husband tested, because you never know if its just one persons fault or both until you get tested. If I had a freind going to see Dr. Reichman, I would recommend that she push to have her husband get tested on the first visit to avoid any further complexities and to make the process go faster.
get your husband tested on the first visit even if he doesnt recommend it
Dr. Reichman is always extremely responsive to emails (answers usually right away) and questions I had while at the office for ultrasound appointments and bloodwork. However usually when I am there for ultrasounds the visit lasts less than 5 minutes and he doesn't ask if I have any questions and doesn't always explain what he's seeing in the ultrasound. However, when we first started seeing him, we had an hour meeting with him to discuss the plan and we just had another hour meeting with him to discuss potential IVF, in which he took the time to explain everything to us and answer any questions. He definitely treats me like a human and not just a number.
fFirst I just did letrozole and since i have PCOS I reacted really well to it and began ovulating on the first try. Did this for a couple months. Dr. Reichman says normal couples TTC have a 1/5 chance of getting pregnant every time so he thought we should do that for 5-6 months. 7th month we did IUI after finding out that my husband had low sperm count, although he probably wouldve waited to do another cycle or 2 without IUI if we hadnt done semen analysis of my husband. Then we did IUI for 6 cycles. last 2 IUI's I was on clomid instead of letrozole so I would ovulate more than one egg and have a better chance of conceiving
They were great, really responsive and nice and friendly.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
busy office and you have to come in early, sometimes a wait but never more than 30 minutes. And usually they take you within 5 mins of your arrival. ALso sometimes you have to wait in the room for the doctor to come in for 10 mins but not more. usually very fast. eveyrone who works there is really nice and friendly.
normal co-pay for ultrasounds, price depends on your insurance. my insurance didnt cover IUI, so we paid $750 out of pocket every time. Also HSG was around $250 that we paid out of pocket, but depends on your insurance and fertility benefits.
Treated 2018 - 2019
The clinic [Weill Cornell] at Tribeca is filled with the nicest people I have ever met. However, because of the volume at their other office at York, the same treatment is not found there. And as a patient, you will need to visit both offices. At York, the woman at the front speaks too fast and seems uninterested in speaking with others. She called me on the day that should have been my third IUI at 10:40 AM claiming that she called me and left a message at 8 AM and if I was still coming in.
How was your experience with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was very happy with Dr. Pfeiffer until for one cycle, when we were setting up the IUI appointment she said “remind me for next cycle that you ovulate early” and it just showed me she did not have faith that this cycle would work. I already felt like it was a waste of time. At my consultation, one of the recommendations was laparoscopy and when I went in to try that as an option, she said if I was open to IVF then that would be the better option. However, when she discussed the IUI, I felt like she just felt that IVF was going to be what I did and was dismissive of other options. I thought she was a great doctor, and very thoughtful and compassionate, but I did feel like what she truly believed was not what she wanted me to do. It was as though I was rushing through the IUI’s so that I could be eligible for IVF. Also, there was only one cycle of the 4 cycles I was there that I saw her throughout the entire process. I really wanted her to be my doctor but she was often out of the office.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be mindful that she is not always available and you will need to see other doctors quite often
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Her bedside manner was great. She was really good at listening to me and not telling me only what she knew.
Describe the protocols Samantha Pfeifer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
First cycle was clomid 50mg only but no timed intercourse or IUI. My husband had a viral infection and Dr. Pfeiffer was not sure if his sperm would be okay to use for the IUI. Second cycle was clomid 50mg again with an IUI (this is the cycle I saw Dr. Pfeiffer throughout). Third cycle was clomid 50mg with an IUI. My follicles were very small and I was already surging when I was told to go in for my IUI the next day. Fourth cycle was clomid 100mg with timed intercourse because the IUI was not scheduled on time. The two follicles were small (13-14) and I was again already surging when I was to schedule the IUI the following day. All four cycles resulted in negative pregnancy tests.
The nursing staff was always patient, answered all my questions, and very compassionate. I once met Crystal, and she was very kind and always explained things very well to me.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic at Tribeca is filled with the nicest people I have ever met. However, because of the volume at their other office at York, the same treatment is not found there. And as a patient, you will need to visit both offices. At York, the woman at the front speaks too fast and seems uninterested in speaking with others. She called me on the day that should have been my third IUI at 10:40 AM claiming that she called me and left a message at 8 AM and if I was still coming in. I never got any missed call or message (because I was hoping the clinic would call me back in time and had my phone on my person all morning) but once 9AM hit, I told my husband to just go to work because we couldn’t wait all day, plus the follicles were very small and the doctor (Dr. Reichmann) when he did my ultrasound, had no impression that I would be ready for an IUI. I was annoyed that the woman was more interested in proving she was right than realizing that I missed my third IUI. I did not express that to her, but just said that my husband had to go to work and we would not be coming in that day. I have not gone back for treatments at Weill Cornell, or any clinic for that matter, because this very last experience left me discouraged and very stressed. This is pretty much the experience I have had at every ob/gyn before switching over to a fertility clinic. I will try another fertility clinic when I am ready again in a few months, but I think all the heavy lifting needs to be done by the patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
All costs were paid by my insurance except some medication and copays. I paid for Clomid, Sperm wash, and IUI through insurance.
Describe Samantha Pfeifer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
It is the same situation I mentioned in the previous text box, about the last IUI’s scheduling.

Treated 2018 - 2019
I would have liked to better understand what he [Dr. Reichman]/ we learned from each test and cycle. I often felt in the dark and my questions were answered but curtly and without elaboration...he was very matter-of-fact and direct. There were no elaborations, explainations were as minimal as necessary, he seems busy but always made time for pleasantries and to ensure I was OK. There were a few times I had to call nurses after the appointment for clarity on next steps.
[Experience with nurses at Weill Cornell was] Generally great but I had one major problem with billing that was in contrast to what the nurse told me...After my initial consultation the IUI nurse explained the process for submitting for insurance approvals and calling in and administering prescriptions. I was direcly told that I would not have to worry about insurance approvals and that Cornell handled that on my behalf. Unfortunately, they proceeded with my third IUI although my insurance denied it. They have billed me in full. Their stance is that upon my initial visit, I was read a script by their receptionist and asked to sign (many things) in acknowledgement before the Doctor would see me. In my state and the rush imposed, I may well have done so. It's a shame this is their practice and excuse. The billing representative I spoke with ("Supervisor") was condescending and rude - she seemed annoyed at my questions and had a "too bad" attitude. Once I had to call for a prescription order I was told was being placed - It was handled immediately after I called. I have requested my medical records (2+ weeks ago) and have not yet recieved.
How was your experience with David Reichman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I felt he was competent and knew exactly what he was looking for and observing - I wish he shared more insight. I still do not understand why none of our attempts worked or if he had any understanding. Our first consultation was jarring because he assertively suggested IVF immediately (at 38 years old), but I can't blame him for my shock. Throughout, he was very matter-of-fact and direct. There were no elaborations, explainations were as minimal as necessary, he seems busy but always made time for pleasantries and to ensure I was OK. There were a few times I had to call nurses after the appointment for clarity on next steps.
Do your reserach before seeing him to understand potential outcomes, alternatives and questions to ask. He will competently answer all, but not necessarily offer excess info.
I did understand what tests were being done, nor the outcome or meaning. I would have liked to better understand what he/ we learned from each test and cycle. I often felt in the dark and my questions were answered but curtly and without elaboration.
We attempted three IUI, first two with Clomid and third with Letrozole. We monitored frequently (expensively) and I gave blood and had an ultrasound for consecutive days prior to procedure. Each time I recieved conflicting recommendations for when to have intercourse following the IUI. Each IUI attempt was unsuccessful and if there was any suggestion of explaination, I never heard it.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Generally great, reception is polite although a bit hasty and patronizing - I assume because of the volume of emotional women they deal with all day. Wait times can be up to an hour but for the most part were very quick and I felt the clinic did all possible to mitigate waiting. Facilities were clean and modern. Staff was all professional and friendly.
IUI was apx $5K per attempt, including monitoring.
Treated 2018 - 2019
I can understand that someone going to him [Spandorfer] might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Totally professional operation [Weill Cornell], you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.... Expensive but what I had not spent was promptly refunded when I had to cancel my egg retrieval.
How was your experience with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He's very straightforward and has a good, dry sense of humor. I'm not someone who needs a lot of coddling but when I had to cancel my egg retrieval due to low response, he was sympathetic and understanding without sugar coating things for me. I really appreciate that quality.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
You may not get a lot of time with him so come prepared and don't be afraid to answer questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I can understand that someone going to him might feel like a number if everything looks normal and you proceed through monitoring to egg retrieval on a normal schedule. Unfortunately, I did not respond to injections and so I received personal attention from the doctor. He was very responsive by phone and then we scheduled an appointment to discuss an alternate protocol for when I try again. He took the time to answer my questions and hear my frustrations and we're moving on together. I'm still happy with his care.
Describe the protocols Steven Spandorfer used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I was initially on a very standard protocol, albeit at the highest doses of menopur and gonal-f. I will be on a new protocol with twice daily injections (still at max dose), micro dose lupron, and estrogen priming the second time around.
I had limited interaction but they seemed well informed about my situation and the next steps the doctor wanted to take.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Totally professional operation, you'll be in and out in no time during monitoring, I found everyone to be very positive and friendly. I can see why people may feel like they're a number but I count the efficiently as an absolute plus on a busy weekday morning. Facilities are great as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Steven Spandorfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Treated 2016 - 2019
I appreciate that she [Dr. Kang] is straightforward and she showed compassion for our unique medical hurdles that made genetic testing necessary. She might come across as blunt and by the book to some patients. Out of three failed cycles, with very high dose medication, she lowered it only once.... I feel like she does not deviate from Cornell's playbook.... I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles.
Too much of a factory atmosphere. You feel like you see the entire Cornell staff for visits and retrieval. I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles.... We required PGD/PGS testing and was very disappointed that Cornell would not/could not work with the company that was covered by insurance. I had to go with their lab and pay $4000 (2016) out of pocket for a probe that I never got to use with Cornell.
How was your experience with Hey-Joo Kang at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I appreciate that she is straightforward and she showed compassion for our unique medical hurdles that made genetic testing necessary. She might come across as blunt and by the book to some patients. Out of three failed cycles, with very high dose medication, she lowered it only once.
I think she is a very smart doctor, she is very straightforward, maybe too blunt for the liking of some people. I feel like she does not deviate from Cornell's playbook.
The facility was huge and I felt like another body there. It felt very clinical. At the time, I thought that was what I wanted and that being a part of a hospital clinic was the best route to go to ensure proper treatment and results.
Roughly wahat I can interpret from my records: Cycle #1- 450 Follistim, 150 Menopur- 13 days to yield 5 eggs, 5 mature and none made it to Day 5 Cycle #2- 150/225 Follistim, 75/150 Menopur- 16 days to yield 11 eggs, 8 mature and none made it to Day 5 Cycle #3- 225/300 Follistim/75/150 Menopur- 18 days to yield 5 eggs, 4 mature-- only 1 viable for Day 3 transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I always encountered a positive experience with the nursing staff during my monitoring visits as well as pre/post-retrieval monitoring.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Too much of a factory atmosphere. You feel like you see the entire Cornell staff for visits and retrieval. I only saw my doctor once or twice during the actual monitoring for all three cycles. She never performed my retrievals. I think there is some patient card to use for check in-- never offered me a card or explained what it would be used for. We required PGD/PGS testing and was very disappointed that Cornell would not/could not work with the company that was covered by insurance. I had to go with their lab and pay $4000 (2016) out of pocket for a probe that I never got to use with Cornell.
Monitoring hours was a well-run cattle call although sometimes waiting for an ultrasound could take a while.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had a concern about a particular medication and spoke to the doctor on call and being an IVF patient I was understandably panicked but was never disrespectful the doctor during the conversation...he was completely rude, nasty and condescending to me I made a complaint about him but still had to interact with him during various visits.
Upper East Side
Dr. Pfeifer was kind in how she explained my results and what we'd try next. After a few losses when trying naturally she seemed to be in my corner and wanted to see me pregnant. She didn't perform my IUI but saw me for my ultrasounds (except for weekend monitoring.)...Dr Pfeifer treated me like an individual. She was kind, straightforward, remembered my case,in most cases performed my sonograms and often called me with results (though not regular monitoring for IUI.)
Love having the Tribeca office available for most appointments but going to the UES location for weekend monitoring early in the morning and for the IUI was much less convenient. The UES office also doesn't really explain what you need to do and where you need to go for IUI ...blood tests always seem to go quickly and waits are not long for AM monitoring...Crystal and Rosie, Dr. Pfeifer's nurses are kind, responsive, and well-organized as is Hiral, her medical secretary.
How was your experience with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
While some of the nurses treated me like a number, Dr Pfeifer treated me like an individual. She was kind, straightforward, remembered my case,in most cases performed my sonograms and often called me with results (though not regular monitoring for IUI.)
She had me take 100 mgs of clomid on cycle days 4-8, trigger shot on day 12 and IUI on day 13. I will take progesterone suppositories day 17 until negative pregnancy test (or continue on progesterone if pregnant.) Currently waiting for the results.
Crystal and Rosie, Dr. Pfeifer's nurses are kind, responsive, and well-organized as is Hiral, her medical secretary. The nurses who called with my daily monitoring weren't as compassionate and I literally had to beg them to stay on the phone with me to answer a few basic questions about the timing of my first IUI.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Love having the Tribeca office available for most appointments but going to the UES location for weekend monitoring early in the morning and for the IUI was much less convenient. The UES office also doesn't really explain what you need to do and where you need to go for IUI - for example, sign in on 6th floor, then wait on 7th floor for husband's sample to be prepared, then carry it back down to 6th floor and check back in. That said, blood tests always seem to go quickly and waits are not long for AM monitoring.
My insurance covers most testing and the IUI. I've paid $30 copays for some visits and for some of the drugs. I think I also paid for the trigger shot.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr Schattman has been very involved in my trying to get pregnant. He was able to diagnose my reoccurring miscarriages and set a course of treatment for my body to get back in shape to even house a pregnancy. He is very statistics driven and by the numbers but he delivers the news wirh kindness and optimism.... He also only performs surgeries on Tuesday but he’ll awlays fit you in. He’s a superhero.
It’s [Weill Cornell] a bit of a factory and you really need fo advocate for yourself. However you are getting top care in NYC. You have to stay on top of the staff to ensure you are following the right protocol. I’d double and triple check and if they mess up they are apologetic.... There’s been some computer glitches that have made me go back to the clinic twice in one day. Luckily for me it’s a convenient commute but if I liked far I would have been much less pleasant.
How was your experience with Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He an incredibly trustworthy doctor. He specializes in Fallopian tube surgery which is why I originally sought him out. He’s performed two surgeries with me and he was too notch both times. We are currently working through a fertility treatment now.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Go in informed and with your questions ready go fire off. Your visits with him are very quick and to the point. He runs a back to back kind of day. He also only performs surgeries on Tuesday but he’ll awlays fit you in. He’s a superhero.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It’s a bit of a factory and you really need fo advocate for yourself. However you are getting top care in NYC. You have to stay on top of the staff to ensure you are following the right protocol. I’d double and triple check and if they mess up they are apologetic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Glenn Schattman at Weill Cornell Medical College.
We are currently working through what the future holds. Our insurance currently covers 80/20 but we have paid thousands out of pocket.
Describe Glenn Schattman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very important to do just one. He is highly against multiples at least for my case. I already have one child through natural child birth.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Overall it’s been a great experience. There’s been some computer glitches that have made me go back to the clinic twice in one day. Luckily for me it’s a convenient commute but if I liked far I would have been much less pleasant.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps... asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions....One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF.
Busy! Which is good because they [Weill Cornell] see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.... They’re very busy, juggling a lot. But always pleasant. But you have to stay on top of your own care— you can’t rely on them to hold your hand....They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
He is experienced and many people rave about him. He had a very busy practice and it doesn’t seem patients get personalized care. I asked him why he was recommending a certain drug protocol and he responded “years of experience.” Period. He has little time/patience for communicating reasoning behind his decisions.
If you don’t want questions answered, don’t need personal care and know what your issue is, I think he’d be great.
Dr Spandorfer seems like a nice person. But he is very dismissive of questions and of ideas not his own. He is negative on supplements, acupuncture, diet changes and all other natural/non-invasive steps. The reason I left his practice was because the genetic counselor there recommended “It Starts with the Egg” to try to improve egg quality (I’m 40 and have had two chemical pregnancies). He totally dismissed all of that research as not proven and recommended I go right to IVF. One of my chemical pregnancies was during a cycle where I was being closely monitored before starting my first ivf cycle. When it became clear that pregnancy was going to fail, I got a call from a nurse saying that Dr S suggested starting IVF. There was no review of that cycle, no discussion of anything learned, just simply sticking to the path we were on without any communication from him. Without doing a recurrent pregnancy loss panel he was ready to proceed to ivf. I switched to another clinic and am now having several other tests done on me and my husband to rule out other RPL causes and make sure there’s not something else going on that would cause ivf not to work. It seems so obvious but it seems he was willing for us to spend $30k on ivf, and if it didn’t work, then see why.
I stopped seeing him before we started a protocol.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Busy! Which is good because they see it all but it’s a little crazy in there in the mornings. It feels like a factory— very impersonal. Clean, pleasant, easy scheduling. Just choose your doctor carefully— they are all very different.
My tests and diagnostics were covered by insurance. He takes some insurance but the clinic is out of network for most plans. So visits with him were covered and they were careful to send my blood work through the hospital so it was covered. They were very good about being clear on coverage and cost.
Describe Steven Spandorfer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He recommended single, which I liked.
Treated 2017 - 2018
When I had one on one meetings with Dr. Pfiefer, she always made me feel like a human and not a number. She was attentive and up to date on what was going on with me....Dr. Pfeifer has a very direct approach to explaining things with good bedside manners. There were times where I felt she could do better in explaining the whole picture or long term impact of my treatments. For example, when she mentioned harvesting more eggs sooner rather than later, I didn't realize the long term impact and timing of all the IVF cycles
like the fact that the clinic [Weill Cornell] has multiple locations so it makes it easy to go to the daily appointments. I like that there are many nursing stations to take bloodwork but also wish for a bit more privacy...After my D&C, no one called me for the biopsy results until I realized it 3 weeks later. After blood work from the D&C, nurse forgot to call me until I called them the next week realizing I never got the results and didn't know if I needed to go in or not.
How was your experience with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be prepared with questions but also asking about the timing of each treatment plan.
When I had one on one meetings with Dr. Pfiefer, she always made me feel like a human and not a number. She was attentive and up to date on what was going on with me. When I dealt with the nurses at time, I felt like a number.
1. Both IUI used Clomid and HCG shot - negative pregnancy results 2. IVF Cycle 1 & 2 use the same protocol except cycle 2 had 1 day less on hormones Gonal-F - Total 900IU - 4 pens: 450mg for 4/5 days then decrease as close to retreival Centrotide - 6 Kits Menopur - 10 vials Chorionix Gonad (HCG shot) 3. IVF Cycle 1 resulted in 2 frozen transfers (1 embryo at a time), both transfer took Progesterone vaginal inserts - both transfer resulted in negative pregnancy 4. IVF Cycle 2 was a Day 3 fresh transfer so took Progesterone oil. Transferred 3 embryos, pregnant with 2 and miscarried at 8 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Evangeline Iwu)
For the most part, the nursing staff was good overall. It was nice that someone (not the main nurse) would call you back in a timely manner. There were a few times they did not call back or forgot to after some results but it wasn't during the IVF cycle. The only issues I really had was trying to have the nurse understand the prescriptions authorization process which was different than just sending it to a pharmacy, etc.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I like the fact that the clinic has multiple locations so it makes it easy to go to the daily appointments. I like that there are many nursing stations to take bloodwork but also wish for a bit more privacy.
There was a set time for monitoring and bloodwork. You learn quickly what times to go in and to avoid due to "morning traffic". It was fine and the timing was ok that I got to work on time.
My out of pockets cost for 2017 was $14,366. Healthcare benefits was exhausted since last IVF. Medications ~$5,000 out of pocket IVF Fees ~10,000 out of pocket (last IVF I paid $5000 out of pocket as benefits were exhausted) PGS Fees ~2,000-5,000 (depending on number of embryos tested) 1st IVF, I paid for 7 embryos to be tested and did not have any tested on 2nd round Hospital Fees ~1,000 (paid twice for each egg retrieval Other Dr Visits/Lab Work ~2,000 out of pocket after insurance
Because I have never been pregnant before, my hormones levels and reserve was good, my doctor suggested to transfer 1 embryo at a time. Looking back, I would have transferred 2 (because that is all I had at the time). I ended doing a fresh transfer with 3 embryos in my 2nd IVF cycle.
Tribeca
The clinic [Weill Cornell ] moves quickly. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good if you need to get to work, but bad if you don't want to feel like a number. Always be prepared with your questions or you will be rushed out the door...There is one nurse who is not very compassionate and extremely rude on the phone. She talks quickly and becomes irritated if you ask questions for clarification.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is a very kind doctor. He is very quiet when he talks. That quietness and calmness definitely puts you at ease a bit, but with all of the machines running, it can be difficult to hear him at times. He doesn't explain much or provide you with much information other than, "You'll hear from a nurse later with instructions." If you have questions, he will answer them and give you the time you deserve, but sometimes on the spot it can be overwhelming and you're not necessarily sure what your questions are. I wish he was more thorough when in the room, so that questions didn't arise when you left because getting in contact with a nurse, or him, is difficult. You always get a machine.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Come prepared with questions to avoid playing phone tag. Also, have patience because you will never get a live person on the phone. You have to leave a message and receive a call back. If answering the phone at your job is difficult, this can feel very stressful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is a very kind doctor and will answer any questions, but you have to ask the questions or your time with him is limited and not filled with much information. At each appointment he scrolls through your files quickly, before speaking to you. It made me feel like he wasn't very familiar with my case. It would have made me feel more comfortable if he did that before entering the room or at least explained what he was looking at and why to make me feel more at ease.
Describe the protocols Dan Goldschlag used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
My cycle hasn't started yet, but I have been prescribed: estrogen patches for before my period to suppress my ovaries Gonal menopur HCG Leuprolide z pack Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Loraine )
There is one nurse who is not very compassionate and extremely rude on the phone. She talks quickly and becomes irritated if you ask questions for clarification. She acts as if you should know and understand everything she is spitting at you. My first interaction with her was very unpleasant and I hung up crying. I left a message for a call back, because you never get a live person, and she never called me back, which was extremely stressful with the time sensitive nature. I then had to wait another month, which was fine because she stressed me out so much, I felt completely overwhelmed and needed to take some time to process everything. Every interaction with her has been unpleasant and I have felt dismissed. I explained to her that I needed a specific pharmacy for my insurance to cover the medications and she claimed, "We never had that conversation." My prescription was called in to the specific pharmacy, after being called into a different one, so obviously we had a conversation about it. She was very curt on the phone, which makes a stressful time even more stressful. She was also very rude with me when I asked if my file mentioned to try and call after 3:00pm, because I'm a teacher. She made it clear that that's not always going to be possible. I said I understood that, I just wanted to know if it was in my file because I had asked the doctor's assistant to make a note of it. She is so quick to talk over you and doesn't hear what you're asking. She has taken an already stressful time in a woman's life and made it much more stressful, which is terrible. Just because she deals with this everyday and it is easy for her, she needs to understand that this is overwhelming and patients have questions. It was a very upsetting experience. That being said, Dr. Goldschlag's assistant, Shanise, is lovely and has gone above and beyond to make sure my questions get answered and that I feel comfortable with the process. I mentioned my interaction with the nurse and how upsetting it was to feel invisible and dismissed and she really stepped up and has helped with the process. She told me that I should always contact her directly and she will get my questions to the right place and get back to me with the necessary information. After our conversation I even got a call from the doctor, which I didn't even ask for. It remains stressful that no one answers the phones and you need to leave a message, but Shanise will get back to you within 2 hours.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic moves quickly. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good if you need to get to work, but bad if you don't want to feel like a number. Always be prepared with your questions or you will be rushed out the door.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Should be around $10,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The issues I had was with one nurse not listening. I made it clear that my prescriptions need to be filled at a specific pharmacy for insurances purposes and she continued to call it in to my local pharmacy. She would become rude and short on the phone each time I explained this.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr Elias [at Weill Cornell Medical College] said with my age, 42, he recommended day 3 transfer of 3-4 embryos to give me the best chance of pregnancy (embryos do better back in the body) and PGS testing on remaining embryos to freeze...They have an excellent lab, are organized. Definitely felt like a number in the NYC office, but the Mt Kisco satellite office was much more personable. Often very long waits for monitoring at the NYC upper east side and a complete cattle call. Monitoring hours were 7-9am which was tough for me to make.
How was your experience with Rony Elias at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Elias is extremely intelligent and knows his stuff. Among other tests, he did a HSG and felt one of my tubes was questionable and told me I would need a lap. However, when the radiologist read the images, the radiologist read them as normal. Dr Elias then said we should hold off on the lap and try some clomid cycles, some with IUI. They didn’t work and finally I told him I wanted the lap and to move to ivf which he agreed to readily. Turned out my left tube was completely blocked, Black, twisted, a total mess and had to be removed. I wish Dr Elias had been more aggressive and gone with his gut feeling after the HSG that the tube was not right and recommended a lap from the beginning (which I would have been fine with) - especially since previous to developing the tube issue developing, I’d always gotten pregnant on the first month of trying (although many ended in miscarriage). I wasted 7 months and a large chunk of my insurance money on IUIs and clomid cycles that were never going to work with that tube. At the age of 42, the wasted 7 months was the hardest to swallow. Shortly after tube surgery, i had a failed ivf cycle, but then got pregnant naturally 2 months later. With that said, Dr Elias knows his stuff and is a kind and caring doctor - wish he’d been more aggressive particularly with my age.
If you want to try something other than what Dr Elias suggests, bring it up - you don’t always need to follow his advice. He is pretty amenable to doing what you want at the end of the day. He was even willing to work with a reproductive immunologist (Dr Braverman) and make changes to the ivf protocol that I suggested.
Dr Elias frequently checked in with me and was always very quick to respond to my emails. More to the point, when my ivf cycle failed he left me a voicemail and expressed his sympathy. During our follow up appointment soon after, he was caring, but also realistic presenting all the facts.
2 clomid cycles with timed inter course. 1 clomid cycle with IUI. 1 ivf with estrogen prime, menopur, gonal-f, cetrotide - produced 9 eggs, 4 fertilized, day 3 fresh transfer of 3 embryos (bfn) and the other 2 embryos didn’t make it to feeeze.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nursing staff in NYC upper east side was very busy and I felt like just a number - which was fine. I had most monitoring visits in the satellite office in Mt Kisco and the nurse there wasn’t too friendly not talkative, but she was overall ok - that didn’t bother me.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
NYC Upoer east side was a cattle call - I only went there on weekends and would sometimes have to wait 2 hours With every seat taken in their extremely large waiting room. Mt Kisco Office was much better, much more personable with sometimes no wait, and never more than 45 Min wait.
They were covered under my Fertility insurance, but the costs at Cornell are very high. About $15K per cycle plus then add on service - freezing, ICSI etc
Dr Elias said with my age, 42, he recommended day 3 transfer of 3-4 embryos to give me the best chance of pregnancy (embryos do better back in the body) and PGS testing on remaining embryos to freeze.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Once they didn’t call to give me instructions (during ivf cycle) by the time they were supposed to (I think that was 8pm) and I had to call the after hours people and they had to track down my dr/nurses after hours to provide me instructions which took a little time.
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Davis was always knowledgeable About my situation...I would 100% recommend him if he had a different staff. He is always knowledgeable about my situation, answers my questions and seems to be on top of his game. Usually he calls me back immediately. Once i had been notified of a chemical pregnancy but he didn’t call me until Monday (i asked to speak to him Friday morning).
They [nurses at Weill Cornell] have made mistakes. Often i ask them to double check with dr Davis and their directions would change as a result. They did not seem to be able to answer my questions. Generally unimpressed. I had Katie last time and i thought she was on top of things. This time the nurses keep changing and i have not being impressed...It makes the process mor Nerve racking because i wish i could trust the nurses and not have to second guess.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own advocate with the nurses. Get the plan from dr Davis and question the nurses if they are incorrect or if it was different than the plan dr Davis mentioned.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Davis was always knowledgeable About my situation. The nurses did not seem to always be knowledgeable and i felt like a number with them.
Describe the protocols Owen Davis used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
First time i got pregnant in 2016 after a natural cycle iui with estrogen priming for an ivf cycle i did not need to start because i was pregnant. I then did 3 natural cycle iuis (because it was successful the first time). Started Estrogen priming for ivf but had to Stop protocol Because i had a positive pregnancy test. Turned out it was a chemical pregnancy. Starting ivf next cycle.
They have made mistakes. Often i ask them to double check with dr Davis and their directions would change as a result. They did not seem to be able to answer my questions. Generally unimpressed. I had Katie last time and i thought she was on top of things. This time the nurses keep changing and i have not being impressed.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr Davis is great and very knowledgeable. Be your own advocate with the nurses and ask questions. When necessary ask them to double check with the doctor. The billing department is inefficient and annoying.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College.
He was out of pocket. So expensive
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurses gave me incorrect information but i questioned it. I almost had to cancel an iui because nurse Noel thought i was doing ivf not an iui and told me i couldn’t come in for my appointment. A couple of times they gave me instructions i questioned and when they checked with dr Davis i was correct. It makes the process mor Nerve racking because i wish i could trust the nurses and not have to second guess.
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Spandorfer isn't the hand holding type but I appreciated his warm personality and light humor. He was positive, empathetic and helped make a stressful and emotional process a bit easier. He doesn't always explain next steps thoroughly but was always willing to answer questions or elaborate if I asked... My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant.
They [Weill Cornell Medical College] see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed
I had two unsuccessful IUIs before moving on to IVF. My first retrieval resulted in 26 eggs that became 13 embryos. Due to my age and good test results Dr. Spandorfer did not recommend PGS testing. We did one fresh transfer which resulted in a miscarriage and then 3 frozen transfers before getting pregnant. Each time we did natural FET cycles. I'm now trying for my second and after doing 2 natural FET cycles from frozen embryos from my 1st cycle, I did another retrieval that yielded 31 eggs and resulted in 17 embryos. This time we did PGS testing and have 7 high quality embryos. We have transferred 4 of those in 3 different FETs, 2 natural and 1 medicated cycle and have yet to be successful.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
In general I found my experience to be positive. They see a high volume of patients but I've never had issues with wait time, they have convenient morning monitoring hours and it was great to be able to go to the UES or Tribeca office for my monitoring. I appreciated the calls from my nurses with instructions and next steps but feel as though email communication could be helpful in communicating medicine dosages, next appointments, etc. The billing was definitely a bit of a mess and I never felt like I had a clear understanding of what I was being billed for.
$10,500 - IVF Cycle (Not including PGS testing or ICSI if needed) $2,630 - ICSI $4,260 - Frozen Embryo Transfer
Dr. Spandorfer recommended eSET but after a few failed transfers he supported our decision to transfer two embryos.
Treated 2015 - 2018
He [Dr. Goldschlag] always said that he would be willing to do anything I wanted, but he wanted me to listen to his opinion on the matter before making decisions...When we had a cycle fail with no viable embryos, Dr. Goldschlag called me several days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day to update me on the situation and make sure I was ok. We spent over an hour talking about the results and what we were going to proceed with and he did not hang up the phone until he knew I was ok, and we had scheduled an appointment to meet and go over everything, despite it being a holiday weekend.
the cost at the time was approximately $12000 for IVF with ICSI [at Weill Cornell Medical College]... Something else that could be a little discomforting for patients is that because there are so many patients and the clinic is part of the hospital, not everything takes place in the clinic. Somethings take place in the radiology dept and then the lab, egg retrievals, and transfers happen in a surgical center in the hospital (I liked this because it was just IVF procedures happening there so no one else was walking in and out and you knew the nurses and front desk people did this all day every day).
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is very patient, always asks me how I am doing, how I am feeling - he knows after our three year journey how my emotions can get the best of me and he always asks how things are at home. He talks to me in a way that I understand what is going on, but also that shows he respects my intelligence as a health care professional. Dr. Goldschlag also has a way of lightening the mood without coming off as uncaring or harsh. He jokes with me about my reliance on Dr. Google, and he always is up to date on all the studies and new tests I bring up and what is good about the studies or what was lacking in them and why he does or does not buy into the findings. I like that he is constantly researching and learning and not just doing the same thing over and over. No two of my protocols have ever been the same (until this current cycle bc the last cycle we did I got pregnant with my daughter and we are hoping to recreate that!!), he is always taking my latest hormone levels into account and tweaking everything so I react to the meds the best way possible. Also, he always gives my husband and I a few minutes after a monitoring appointment in the room to ask questions and talk about what is going on in order to make sure that we are comfortable with everything. It can be very hard to reach anyone in the office, and almost impossible to reach him on the phone, so I like that he gives us that time. Another thing he has started doing (I am not sure if this is for everyone, but my IVF cycles were not like this), is scheduling monitoring appointments with him specifically, so I am on his schedule and know when I am going to be seeing him so that I do not have to wait as long, and there is a continuity of care, as opposed to seeing which ever MD is on call that day for ultrasounds, and then it taking several days before I see him again and can get my questions answered. Dr. Goldschlag is also EXCELLENT when the cycle fails. We have had multiple cycles fail - very, very difficulty failures - and the way he handled it, my emotions, my husband's emotions, he was very straight forward and honest with us about our bleak situation and what the next steps were. I appreciated the honesty and when he was not being straightforward with me at one point I called him out on it and from then on he gave it to me like it was. I feel for myself and my husband, it is better for us to know the truth from the outset than for us to be under the assumption that we are going to have this amazing experience. Overall he was very willing to work with us and ultimately he was able to help us get to our goal and give us our beautiful daughter.
Give him a chance to get to know you before you assume he is too quiet or hands off. Once I got to know him a little better and we were all able to relax around each other, it got much easier.
Dr. Goldschalg and I get along very well. He has a very calming presence and helps bring me down off my crazy (sometimes hormone induced) tantrums about why it is not fair that I was not getting pregnant. He was very patient with me, always answered all my questions, talked to me about all the options and why something would be a good/bad/or ok idea for treatment. He always said that he would be willing to do anything I wanted, but he wanted me to listen to his opinion on the matter before making decisions. He knows that I am a healthcare professional and brings it up regularly, in explanation for decisions and for why he is explaining things to me in a scientific way. He talks to me in a way that I feel I understand what we are talking about, but that he respects my intelligence and research on our diagnosis. When we had a cycle fail with no viable embryos, Dr. Goldschlag called me several days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day to update me on the situation and make sure I was ok. We spent over an hour talking about the results and what we were going to proceed with and he did not hang up the phone until he knew I was ok, and we had scheduled an appointment to meet and go over everything, despite it being a holiday weekend. I know a lot of people who have cycled with Dr. Goldschlag sometimes are not pleased with their experience because they feel like a number, but I think that is more due to the size of the clinic. Cornell has hundreds of patients cycling through on a regular basis and if you do not stand up for yourself and advocate for your care, you may get lost, but if you are able to do that, you will get excellent care at a top rated clinic.
As an Orthodox Jew, Cornell has a specific protocol they use to help push off the egg retrieval until a little farther on in the cycle (called the Mikva Protocol), to help shorten the period and keep any spotting at bay. Started with estrogen patches for a few days, then added a Ganirelix shot for three days, then started Menopure and GonalF, then added the Ganirelix back in, then triggered with HCG. My dosages were incredibly low bc of my VERY high AMH levels. First cycle was extended (I dont think the dosages were high enough and I was injecting them incorrectly so I wasnt getting the full dose). Second cycle was the same overall, but higher dosages and I had better quality eggs (more mature) than the first cycle. (Cycle failed due to Male factor component) First IUI with clomid - did not respond well to Clomid, poor follicle and lining Second IUI with Letrazol - started with 5mg a day for 5 days, three days off, then bumped up to 7.5 mg a day for 5 days. Went in and had 2 beautiful 24mm follicles (one on each ovary) and lining was almost 9mm. Triggered with 10kHCG and IUI the following day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jamie, Allison, Cheryl, Tamara)
Jamie - Only had her the first cycle. She called me the first day and the last to let me know it failed but other than that I always talked with Allison. She gave me the wrong info which had to get changed and was thankfully caught before I gave myself the wrong meds. Was weird hearing from her that my cycle failed when I literally had nothing to do with her. She was no longer with Dr. Goldschlag when I came back six months later for my next cycle. Allison - Was there from my first cycle (she caught Jamie's mess up) all the way until my successful pregnancy. She often seemed overwhelmed, probably because of Dr. Goldschlag's caseload and how many phone calls she had to make. She always returned phone calls, and gave clear instructions. She was also a lot more down to earth than some of the other nurses I came across there, which was nice. She also was SOO happy when she got to call me with my positive pregnancy test after our fourth cycle, we were both crying on the phone together, because she had been with me through it from the beginning. Cheryl and Tamara - Dr. Goldschlag's nursing team this time is a little more haphazard, but they call me back and they seem to have things together. I dont have a real feel for them yet because I just returned to the clinic in the past month, but so far nothing bad to say.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is HUGE. If you are not ready for that, either find someplace new, or prepare yourself to advocate. If you are in their face and vocal you will have a better experience because they will know who you are. That being said this clinic also specializes in taking cases that no one else will touch. They are not as concerned with their success rates and only taking patients who will improve their rates, rather they are willing to give almost anyone a shot and they will adapt their protocols to meet patient's needs. One thing I like is that they have team meetings and come up with protocols as a team, not individual doctors making decisions on their own. This is comforting because you know that they are checking each others work. Something else that could be a little discomforting for patients is that because there are so many patients and the clinic is part of the hospital, not everything takes place in the clinic. Somethings take place in the radiology dept and then the lab, egg retrievals, and transfers happen in a surgical center in the hospital (I liked this because it was just IVF procedures happening there so no one else was walking in and out and you knew the nurses and front desk people did this all day every day). Also, the Andrology lab is on a different floor so you have to take the elevator and walk around with the sperm sample in a paper bag from when they give it to you to when you give it back to the nurse and have the IUI done (a little weird for people who know what is in the tube and see you walking around with it).
What I do now is schedule an actual appointment, show up then and get seen within 15 minutes of that appointment. At the same time and what I used to do was show up anywhere from 6:30 to 9 am and sign in and wait in the waiting room to first get called for bloodwork and then ultrasound. The MD you see for the scan can be any of the doctors in the practice. Their system is automated, so there is a computer system that tells the tech who the next patient they are taking for blood or ultrasound is and what room to put them in. This keeps things moving assuming patients are not missing in the bathroom or grabbing coffee outside at the cart on the sidewalk. Sometimes there can be close to 100 patients waiting to be seen though, which can make the wait take several hours.
My IVF was covered by insurance but the cost at the time was approximately $12000 for IVF with ICSI (we also did Micro-TESE in conjunction which was $15k out of pocket) My IUI is also under insurance so I am not aware of the costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurse told me to take the wrong dosage of medication but that was caught by another nurse and a secretary scheduled an appointment for 2 weeks later than I needed it and when I showed up I was not in the system - they resolved that quickly, but it was annoying because I got to monitoring late and then had to wait almost an hour to be seen)
Upper East Side
We did PGS testing [with Dr. Owen Davis] given my age...spoke to me honestly and explained in detail the statistical chances of success and the reasons for the protocol he’s chosen... is up to date on all of the research and is a preeminent expert in the field. I only saw him in person once because I live uptown and decided to do all my monitoring in Tribeca, but when I had questions it was very easy to schedule a call and he always took the time to speak with me and answer any of my questions.
Cattle call on UES [of Weill Cornell Medical College], but very efficiently run if you weren’t at the start of your cycle. Tribeca civilized and well run, never waited there more than 20 minutes...20-25k per cycle...and they don’t allow outside lab monitoring, so no traveling if you can’t get back every other day...I didn’t forge any relationship wit the nursing staff, they vary as did the quality of their communication.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Davis is up to date on all of the research and is a preeminent expert in the field. I only saw him in person once because I live uptown and decided to do all my monitoring in Tribeca, but when I had questions it was very easy to schedule a call and he always took the time to speak with me and answer any of my questions.
Have faith, and even though the clinic itself is very crowded and impersonal, know that an experts eyes are monitoring you daily and in charge of tour cycle and outcome.
Dr. Davis spoke to me honestly and explained in detail the statistical chances of success and the reasons for the protocol he’s chosen.
300 Gonal F, 150 menopur, Cetrotide. We did PGS testing given my age. Estrogen priming the second round. First round, 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with icsi, 3 made it to day 5 (blastocyst), all anaploid. Second round 10 retriever, 8 mature, 3 fertilized with icsi, 2 made it to day 5 (blastocyst), one mosaic and one anaploid.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Crowded on UES location, and they don’t allow outside lab monitoring, so no traveling if you can’t get back every other day. The tribeca location was easy and civilized and little wait but of course Dr Davis isn’t there, so i never saw him.
Cattle call on UES, but very efficiently run if you weren’t at the start of your cycle. Tribeca civilized and well run, never waited there more than 20 minutes.
20-25k per cycle.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Goldschlag recommended to transfer one embryo if it made it to Day 5 and two embryos if we made it to Day 3 and given my age at the time... is personable when you he sees you in person and is very patient. He is good about answering questions and taking his time with you. I have trusted him with our treatment and he has been compassionate about our set backs...you won’t see Dr. Goldschlag unless you personally ask for him
When we miscarried, the nurse [at Weill Cornell Medical College] mistakenly advised us that our HCG looked great and to continue with the Progesterone shots which was heart wrenching. The follow up tests, the nurse didn’t know about until I had to mention on it. In other words you definitely need to remind them of what was prescribed and advocate for yourself when they are mistaken.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is personable when you he sees you in person and is very patient. He is good about answering questions and taking his time with you. I have trusted him with our treatment and he has been compassionate about our set backs.
Understand that it is a big clinic and that you won’t see Dr. Goldschlag unless you personally ask for him.
It is a large clinic and on days for monitoring you feel like a number. On days when I see Dr. Goldschlag I feel more like a human.
After we were evaluated and I had done a hysteroscopy to remove a small polyp; Dr. Goldschlag advises we could start with IUI or IVF. We decided to do a medicated IUI which all resulted in negative results. We then moved forward with our first IVF in April 2018. We were excited when it resulted in a pregnancy but then it resulted in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Dr. Goldschlag gave me the option of miscarrying naturally and we proceeded with a second IVF cycle in September 2018 that resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
When we first started with the clinic the main nurse we were dealing with as part of Dr. Goldschlag’s team was not the nicest and easily frustrated. I don’t believe she is currently at the clinic and since that time the nurses have been friendly and willing to answer questions and work with us.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinics strengths is that they are organized considering the amount of patients. The weaknesses are that it can feel impersonal at times and if you are feeling sensitive about it which many people do feel about this process; this may not be the best place for you.
The wait time wasn’t exaggerated but it is a different doctor each time.
My co-pay and extraneous costs not covered by insurance.
Describe Dan Goldschlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
When we miscarried, the nurse mistakenly advised us that our HCG looked great and to continue with the Progesterone shots which was heart wrenching. The follow up tests, the nurse didn’t know about until I had to mention on it. In other words you definitely need to remind them of what was prescribed and advocate for yourself when they are mistaken.
Upper East Side

Dr Periera always resounded to my emails right away and always had very polite bedside manner....If you are seeing Dr Periera for IUI, he will not be performing the procedure itself.... Dr. Periera was always very kind and sincere. He answered all of my questions thoroughly and promptly and made the experience easier to handle. Although I ultimately did not conceive, I do not believe it had anything to do with Dr Periera or his protocol.
I was not a fan of the clinic [Weill Cornell] for IUI purposes. I can’t comment on IVF but IUI was poorly run. The wait is very long between arrival and the procedure and they mislead you on how long the wait will be. A nurse, not your Dr, performs the IUI. The third time I had the IUI done, the nurse couldn’t find my cervix and ended up injuring me.... They lost several signed consent forms and we had to resign them (which was annoying because they were required to be notarized) and a few times I had to call them for my blood work results.
How was your experience with Nigel Pereira at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Periera was always very kind and sincere. He answered all of my questions thoroughly and promptly and made the experience easier to handle. Although I ultimately did not conceive, I do not believe it had anything to do with Dr Periera or his protocol. With the exception of one thing. When I switched clinics, my new Dr told me I had a thyroid imbalance and put me on synthyroid. I felt better within 3 days - more energy; better mood and better quality sleep. I’m disappointed Dr Periera did not catch this.
If you are seeing Dr Periera for IUI, he will not be performing the procedure itself. While Dr Periera is great, Cornell on the other hand was not the best.
Describe the protocols Nigel Pereira used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
The first two cycles of IUI were natural cycles. Dr Periera recommended that because we only had male favor infertility secondary to chemotherapy and already had a daughter conceived nautwlly from prior to chemo. However, my husbands samples always fell below the amount/motility parameters and I believe that is why I did not get pregnant. The third round of IUI we tried clomid and a trigger shot which did produce 2 follicles. But again, my husband’s sample fell below.
The nursing staff was abrupt but informative if you pressed them. Sometimes I felt like an intrusion.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I was not a fan of the clinic for IUI purposes. I can’t comment on IVF but IUI was poorly run. The wait is very long between arrival and the procedure and they mislead you on how long the wait will be. A nurse, not your Dr, performs the IUI. The third time I had the IUI done, the nurse couldn’t find my cervix and ended up injuring me. I literally kicked her out of my body and the room and requested someone else. The IUI process itself was so stressful that I cannot help but wonder if that was part of the reason we were not successful,
It was covered by insurance.
Describe Nigel Pereira's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My husband had blood drawn for a generic test and the staff forgot to order it and he had to go again. They lost several signed consent forms and we had to resign them (which was annoying because they were required to be notarized) and a few times I had to call them for my blood work results.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr Owen Davis was very personable, listened to my preferences with respect, and was upfront with the statistics of achieving pregnancy at my age. He always called back within 36hrs of leaving a message, sometimes within 2 - 4 hrs...He was upfront and honest about what my chances were of achieving a positive outcome from a biological as well as a financial perspective. He expressed his own preferences for certain protocols and also adjusted to accommodate my preferences readily. He patiently answered all my questions when I didn't understand something clearly...
Expect high volume and the pros and cons that come with it [at Weill Cornell - U East]. Less personal attention but very efficient. The retrieval procedures done through NY Presbyterian were as stress-free as I think they could possibly have been...I went out of my way to get there very early in the morning to minimize wait time to 20-3min. Otherwise waits were anywhere from 30min to 2hrs. Going to the satellite clinic in Tribeca was extremely helpful as it was closer to me and less crowded...
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Davis was very knowledgeable. He was upfront and honest about what my chances were of achieving a positive outcome from a biological as well as a financial perspective. He expressed his own preferences for certain protocols and also adjusted to accommodate my preferences readily. He patiently answered all my questions when I didn't understand something clearly.
He is very informative and can give you lots of statistics off the top of his head. Take notes to create a plan, as well as a back up plan, that you are comfortable with. Be ready to clearly discuss your options and questions before going in thereafter. Dr Davis is a highly ranked fertility doctor, not a therapist (so don't expect lovely dovey emotional support and hand holding). But do expect honesty and results consistent with the expectations he set.
Frozen embryo transfer over fresh - better success rates. PGS testing - Dr Davis was neutral about this. After several unsuccessful cycles, I did not want to lose time in case of a miscarriage. I requested testing eventually and he did not disagree. In retrospect, I would have started with PGS testing right away. After batching 3 retrieval cycles with 54 eggs retrieved, only 2 were genetically normal. Transferred 1 of the 2 and achieved pregnancy. Meds: Follistim, ganirelex, menopur. Medicated embryo transfer cycle: Didn't want to leave anything to chance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Primary Nurse: had a miscalculation issue regarding cycle days and expected time of embryo transfer. Nurse was not very clear in setting expectations and I had to do a last minute stressful scramble with my work schedule. Spoke to Dr. Davis and requested to have nurse changed. Subsequent nurse was was very clear and concise thereafter. Nursing Staff: high volume clinic, very professional and friendly except for one nurse (eastern block - russian/ukranian?) who was a bit cold and never bothered to have me check my name/birthdate blood tube label like all the other nurses did. Surgical nursing staff for retreivals at NY Presbyterian: phenomenal. Can't say enough good things about them. Super caring and attentive.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Expect high volume and the pros and cons that come with it. Less personal attention but very efficient. The retrieval procedures done through NY Presbyterian were as stress-free as I think they could possibly have been.
Dr Davis is Out of Network. So I had to pay out of pocket for his visits and procedures e.g. hysterocsopy, pregnancy ultrasound. Initially I paid out of pocket for all procedures, meds and most bloodwork. They have a flat fee per IVF procedure with add'l cost per transfer. Within range of expected costs for IVF comparable to other clinics. My Insurance started covering IVF in 2016 - costs decreased significantly to deductible only.
Describe Owen Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr Davis was fine with transferring 5 embryos without PGS testing. Once PGS tested, he recommended eSET. I thought this was appropriate based on my age group.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
They did make 2 significant mistakes that I was willing to deal with and eventually get past. 1) embryology did not thaw the correct frozen eggs and fertilize despite verbal and written plan to do so. The follow-up was thawing them out after the fact and fertilizing them with sperm that had been previously thawed and left over. Poor fertilization, unsuccessful cycle, and hard to know exactly what were contributing factors. 2) my nurse made a counting error for scheduled retrieval procedure. Had to scramble work schedule creating a lot of stress. Requested to change primary nurse thereafter.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Dr. Pfeifer is very personable and knowledgeable, and is also a straight talker. She's also funny and warm, and made me feel like a person, not a number. However, it's difficult to get ahold of her on the phone, which can be frustrating....During my IVF cycle, the doctor left me a message about my transfer process, but when I called back, I couldn't get ahold of her, and wasn't able to talk to her about the number of embryo's being implanted before my transfer procedure. I ended up speaking to the doctor doing the procedure, but would have preferred not to feel like I was being pushed into a decision without having a conversation first.
[Weill Cornell - Tribeca] Strengths: Caring staff, smaller office, convenient location, easy walk-in process for monitoring appointments. Weaknesses: The billing department for the fertility clinic is terrible....Can also be difficult to get ahold of the doctor - even when leaving a message, a nurse will call you back and you have to then put through another message that you want to speak to the doctor...I was lucky in that Evangeline was my nurse for both my IUI and IVF cycles, and got to know me throughout the process.
How was your experience with Samantha Pfeifer at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ask all your questions during your appointments, because you'll most likely speak to your nurse when you call, who will then have to call you back once she speaks to the doctor.
I speak to the same nurse whenever I have questions, and the doctor knows me and my history.
I had one unmedicated IUI, two medicated IUIs (with chlomid and an ovulation trigger), and then IVF using Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelyx, estrogen patches and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Evangeline Iwo)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: Caring staff, smaller office, convenient location, easy walk-in process for monitoring appointments. Weaknesses: The billing department for the fertility clinic is terrible. The woman who works there is a nightmare. Can also be difficult to get ahold of the doctor - even when leaving a message, a nurse will call you back and you have to then put through another message that you want to speak to the doctor. Can be frustrating.
For the most part, it's an efficient system at the Tribeca office. There were some mornings when it would take a long time, but there was always a reason - they were short-staffed or the computers had gone down. If I had an appointment (which I recommend, even for monitoring hours), I was always seen quickly with no issues.
Each IUI cycle cost about $4k, for all the appointments, blood work, ultrasounds and medications. For IVF, the full cost was about $12k.
I felt that I was "told" how many embryos were being transferred, as opposed to having the option to disagree. This was my biggest issue with Weill Cornell.