Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
136 South Broadway
White Plains, NY 10605
914-949-6677
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology to a friend?
1 doctor
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
They [nurses at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology] were organized, hard-working, detailed, and compassionate. Blood draws were always quick, easy, and relatively painless here (which is a feat because at other places I have a reputation for terrible veins). Even though the doctor often did not call me back when he was supposed to, they really tried to get him to call with results. The embryologist was top notch.
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology.
As discussed in depth before, my experience with the doctor was terrible. However, the nurses were all nice, caring, organized, and good at what they did. The embryologist was skilled and explained things. The office staff rarely pick up the phone however, and it is hard to get questions answered after hours. I rarely got results in a timely manner and constantly felt like I was pestering the office to get normal care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Blotner at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology?
I think the doctor thinks he treats people like humans, but my experience was distressing. I was first diagnosed by him with PCOS in 2016. He did not explain this condition at all to me and simply said I may need help getting pregnant. I had to find out more about the condition through google, as getting information out of him was difficult. When I went to him in 2017 with a spontaneous pregnancy, he never called with results when he was supposed to. This was very distressing as I had issues with the pregnancy that needed to be addressed in a timely manner. I ended up crying on multiple occasions because I felt ignored and forgotten, was afraid of losing the pregnancy, and he did not like to explain or discuss things. I ended up miscarrying the pregnancy (which was unavoidable-- I don't blame him for that). He did not give me options with the miscarriage, only said I had to have a D and C and did not tell me any associated risks. I had to look up all of this information myself. From what I read, cytotec sounded like a better option for me to try first. When I asked him about this, he responded with what sounded to me like anger for not going with what he recommended. He did let me take the cytotec but said it would be very painful then refused to prescribe pain medications (said extra-strength Tylenol would be fine). The cytotec worked very well for me and got everything out quite quickly. After the miscarriage, I started fertility treatments with him because I did not ovulate on my own after the miscarriage. I felt like he never gave me options or told me what would happen next and he usually did not listen to my concerns. I always left appointments with him feeling stressed and upset. He pushed me to injections (which quickly led to overstimulation and IVF rescue) quickly after clomid failed for me, making it sound foolish for me to want to explore other options, first. I often felt like crying after appointments with him. I often felt like their were holes in my care because he kept getting me confused with other patients, thinking we had already done certain treatments before and not wanting to give me instructions for treatment, convinced he had already done so previously.
The nursing staff was another thing that kept me at Dr. Blotner's for a while. The nursing staff was always caring and considerate. They were organized, hard-working, detailed, and compassionate. Blood draws were always quick, easy, and relatively painless here (which is a feat because at other places I have a reputation for terrible veins). Even though the doctor often did not call me back when he was supposed to, they really tried to get him to call with results. The embryologist was top notch.
What specific things went wrong at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology?
How was your experience with Michael Blotner at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology?
One strength about Dr. Blotner and the reason I stayed with him so long despite the negative experiences is that he is very good at accurate diagnoses. He diagnosed me with two conditions that all of my previous Ob-Gyns had missed and further time without those diagnoses would have been a problem. He also insisted before treatment that I see a hematologist about a condition that showed up in a genetic screen that could actually have an effect on my health and it is a good thing he did. However, overall my experience with him was very negative. I often felt like he was rushed and could not be bothered to explain conditions or options to me. He often made me feel bad for asking questions or seeing if we could look into another option. He often gave the impression that he saw me as unintelligent and unable to understand details of my treatment (which he often failed to provide unless pressed, and even then, reluctantly). He often got me confused with other patients and assumed certain things had already been done in my care, making me feel like there were components missing in my care. He often ignored medical literature that did not fit with the way he understood the mechanisms to work and relied on poorly done studies that were not verified. He always portrayed everything as black and white with no controversies or options. He rarely told me about medical risks. He never even mentioned the possibility of overstimulating on injectables (but thankfully someone outside the clinic had warned me that it could happen), which ended up happening to me in a nightmarish manner (last minute IVF rescue, moderate OHSS). I think my OHSS could have been prevented or at least less severe if he had prescribed cabergoline before the retrieval and done a Lupron only trigger. I feel that I was hurt by the way he runs his practice multiple times and in many ways.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Blotner at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology?
Honestly, just don't go to him. I really wish I had not.
Describe the protocols Michael Blotner used in your cycles at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology and their degree of success.
He started me on Provera to induce a period because I was not ovulating and to make sure my lining was starting at a neutral place. He then started me on 50 mg clomid. 50 mg clomid did not stimulate, so he stair-stepped me using 100 mg clomid next. It still really did not stimulate so he gave me 50 iu gonal f per day which finally stimulated. I then got an early LH surge so he had me trigger than put me on progesterone suppositories (he did not explain why). This cycle ended in BFN. He wanted to do combined clomid and injections for future cycles, but the side effects from the clomid were dangerous for me. He then said letrozole would not work for me because it works through lowering estrogen and my estrogen was already low without stimulation (we have since tried this at a new clinic and it has proven to be untrue-- I have now ovulated 3 times on letrozole at my new place, twice with at least 2 lead follicles, with minimal side effects). We then started a gonal f injections only cycle because I was lead to believe letrozole was not an option. He started me at 50 iu. No response. Then upped to 75 iu. No response. Upped to 100 iu. Minimal response. He then increased to 150 iu. That finally got a good response, but suddenly small follicles shot up and soon enough it became clear we had to either cancel the cycle or convert to IVF. We converted to IVF because it appeared our only option to stimulate was injections and the lowest working dose of injections for me led to this overstimulation, making it appear that future attempts would have similar results. He gave me a Lupron and low dose hCG trigger. I am not sure why he did not give me cabergoline before the retrieval or do a Lupron only trigger as these things would have reduced the chances and severity of OHSS despite the fact I was clearly high risk for it (43 eggs retrieved, estrogen very high, young age, PCOS). I developed moderate OHSS a few hours after the retrieval. I was in severe pain, vomited whenever I got up, and had trouble moving (even started to have trouble breathing before things started to improve). It was the worst experience of my life. I ended up getting a UTI after because it was so difficult for me to use the restroom. I had my embryos PGS tested because he claimed it would increase our chances of a successful transfer and would decrease our chances of another miscarriage (turns out for my age, under 30, there is no benefit to PGS so I wish we had not wasted our financial and emotional investment on this). Before transferring an embryo, he did a mock transfer (which went smoothly) and an endometrial biopsy to test for endometritis and other things. We had one FET of a PGS normal embryo. It failed (technically chemical pregnancy with a positive home pregnancy test that led to negative bloodwork by the time I had the beta). He then planned to do an EFT to see what went wrong, but I do not think this makes sense based on the medical literature. We then switched clinics.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology.
It was always a very long line when you go at the beginning of monitoring hours (later is faster, but even more disruptive to your day). I would miss hours of my mornings from appointments (about 45 minutes before the blood draw and some time after that before the ultrasound and a long time before seeing the doctor to discuss the results/changes in treatment plan). I missed several meetings and several hours of work. They did give the option to leave after the ultrasound instead of meeting with the doctor, but even with that option, it was a very long time. I never chose that option because he was terrible about getting back to me with results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Blotner at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology.
Thankfully. my insurance covered all bloodwork, ultrasounds, mock transfer, semen analysis, and endometrial biopsy. I had to pay for the IVF. It was ~$15k not including anesthesia and PGS testing. In total with meds, PGS, ICSI, anesthesia, and all we paid about $25-30k from a single round of IVF and one transfer.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I love that the clinic [Westchester Fertility and Repro Endo] is akin to a “mom and pop” shop. You always see the same faces whenever you go in and all procedures are done “in house”. It’s a much warmer experience then what I would imagine a big clinic would be like.... Monitoring hours were hit or miss. Some day you could go in and be the only patient and get in and out in 15 minutes. Other days you could be there for over an hour, sometimes close to 2 hours. There was really no rhyme or reason, you just had to hope to hit it right
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I love that the clinic is akin to a “mom and pop” shop. You always see the same faces whenever you go in and all procedures are done “in house”. It’s a much warmer experience then what I would imagine a big clinic would be like.
Dr Blotner has a small staff so they really get to know you. You see the same faces every time you go in and it’s comforting to think they are routing for your success.
They were wonderful. Answered questions, took the time explain everything, answered any call/email and made you feel like they genuinely cared about your success.
I think Dr Blotner is brilliant at what he does. I’ve heard complaints about his bedside manner, but I think it’s really just him trying to figure things out and keep up with the enormous influx of patients he sees on a daily basis. I think he is a caring and warm doctor but he’s also very busy. He can be blunt, but I personally appreciate honestly and realistic expectations.
Take notes
My first 2 IUI’s were Clomid and Ovidrel cycles that both resulted in negative pregnancy tests. My first IUI was a Ganirelix/Menopur/follistim cycle which produced 6 eggs/5embryos. 2 were transfered on day 5, the other 3 arrested. Negative pregnancy test. The last IVF cycle I prematurely ovulated, was converted to IUI and had a negative pregnancy test.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Blotner] and the staff treated me like a member of their family never felt like a number it was so much more then a human like on another level of love that a practice can endure...my [nursing] Ladies took such great care of me, they really know how to work hard and get the job done! i was so pleased every time i saw them they really made you feel welcome and understood everything that you are going through! they also showed love and compassion i wouldn't have got through this without them
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
in every aspect of this practice there is always strengths and always team work, no weakness!!!!! there wasn't any room for it
He and the staff treated me like a member of their family never felt like a number it was so much more then a human like on another level of love that a practice can endure
Describe your experience with your nurse at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Donna, Natasha,& Michele My ladies )
my Ladies took such great care of me, they really know how to work hard and get the job done! i was so pleased every time i saw them they really made you feel welcome and understood everything that you are going through! they also showed love and compassion i wouldn't have got through this without them
where do i start, from the beginning to end he has always had an option on how to progress forward, he was able to gibe my husband and I a family, and there was always hope and love that he endured, he was so compassionate on every obstacle and would consider every option he is the best doctor i could of ever had and basically love like a family member! He is the absolute best
have faith and patience know that whatever plan he has with you will work out!
started with blood work and a consultation on testing everything under the sun, then was able to proceed on finding a pollup on my tube which was removed by Dr. Blotner, after this was done we started on trials of biopsys and a round of clomid to follow with IUI's, after a 4 failed IUI's we decided to proceed with IVF with basically a year of medicine and injections with a class in house i was able to follow and give my injections at home, resulting to an egg retrieval of 16 eggs where we were able to get 7 grade A advanced eggs we were all set for transfer, after the transfer i waited long two weeks of me life too where he (Dr. Blotner) personally called to let me know that i was pregnant we shared an amazing tearful phone conversation where he was so proud of my steps towards this and was so happy for me. Here's to our next journey!
i had amazing insurance that paid for the entire procedure!
Describe Michael Blotner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology.
we believed that since they felt i was still young and my eggs were Grade A, they felt that i would end up with twins, which they did give us the decision, which we felt at this moment twins would be two much so we are happy with the single embyro transfer, no pressure was ever an issue when it came to this
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
It's a small clinic [Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology], where there is only one doctor and you'll meet every staff member. Even if the doctor forgets your name periodically, the rest of the staff will know you personally and make you feel welcome. The personal touch is really important for something as emotional as this.... A full out-of-pocket cycle with medication, including my husband's ICSI retrieval and embryo fertilization, cost about $22K. We were covered by insurance for some or part of some cycles, so not every cycle cost that much. When embryos failed genetic testing (another $2200) and we canceled the transfer, we were able to apply that credit towards a future cycle.
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
It's a small clinic, where there is only one doctor and you'll meet every staff member. Even if the doctor forgets your name periodically, the rest of the staff will know you personally and make you feel welcome. The personal touch is really important for something as emotional as this.
Although Dr. Blotner has a somewhat gruff demeanor, he truly cared and wanted our success as much as we did. He expressed frustration at our failures and encouragement at our continued attempts. He gave us a discount when our insurance denied our claims. The thing that stands out the most is that when we failed with donor eggs, he connected us with a couple willing to donate embryos, above and beyond what he needed to do.
They all had their strengths and were friendly and warm. Donna was the best at drawing blood and keeping a sense of humor. A new person had started during my last cycle, I forgot her name. She was less skilled but nice. Natasha was really more of a physician's assistant, but she was very friendly and followed up with me with all my questions. Val the ultrasound tech was kind and efficient.
Dr. Blotner has an absent-minded-professor air, and I joked that he seemed not to remember me each time I saw him, but I still found him caring and very careful to craft a protocol specific to my circumstance. My first cycle was off-putting because I didn't know anything and he seemed surprised at this, but later I realized that most people do go through multiple cycles and know the ropes and don't need the same explanations that a first-timer craves. Once I was more experienced, I appreciated that Dr. Blotner was spending his energy trying to solve our problems and give us the best possible outcomes.
Don't expect Dr. Blotner to explain the basics of IVF to a first-timer. He's not very good at that. If you're past that first time, he will treat you like an investigative partner into the mystery of what you need to conceive.
Because this is a small clinic, Dr. Blotner wants everyone on the same cycle. A cycle would start the month prior with estrogen and progesterone pills in lieu of birth control pills (because I get migraines on bc pills), with some Lupron at the end to ensure I menstruated at the target time of the month. I'd go in on day 3 and start stimulation meds. For me, I also used human growth hormone on some cycles to improve egg quality. I had good response to the stimulation meds and we'd start low and not necessarily raise the quantity. On different cycles we used different combinations: Follistim, Ganirelix, Menopur, etc. I'm sorry, I did it so many times, I don't remember the details.
Monitoring was first-come, first-served in the morning. Officially the clinic opened at 7:30am, but Donna the nurse would come at 7am and we all knew that. The women who needed to commute to Manhattan would arrive at 6:30am to be at the front of the line before Donna arrived. The ultrasound tech would arrive at 7:30, and that's what took the longest. The doctor would arrive closer to 8am, which meant I sometimes skipped seeing him in order to make my train to Manhattan.
This was something we discussed the first time, before we knew what to expect, and our wishes were not to transfer more than two at once. However, as it happened, we never had more than two in any given cycle. I think Dr. Blotner would have been open to transferring more if we had wanted that.
2006 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The small staff [at W'chester Fert & Repro Endo] is what really makes this clinic awesome-it's like a family. Everyone knows everyone's name, they know all about you, they make you feel comfortable...Monitoring is everyday from 8am-10am. The nurse will come early around 7, and ultrasound begins around 7:30. Sometimes either party is late, but they are reliably able to start at 8. The waiting room can get full, but not out the door full...The nurse coordinator has a small requirement-just going over paperwork, signing, the main communicator for order meds and scheduling appointments. Because the office is so small, Dr. Blotner really is the coordinator himself, compared to what others see in other offices.
2006 - 2016
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The small staff is what really makes this clinic awesome-it's like a family. Everyone knows everyone's name, they know all about you, they make you feel comfortable.
Dr. Blotner's staff consists of one doctor, himself, one secretary, one financial adviser, one cycle coordinator, one nurse and one ultrasound technician. Because of the low staff, everyone is on a first name basis, and the patient always knows who they are communicating with. Dr. Blotner himself is always personally available should one need him.
The nurse coordinator has a small requirement-just going over paperwork, signing, the main communicator for order meds and scheduling appointments. Because the office is so small, Dr. Blotner really is the coordinator himself, compared to what others see in other offices. At the consult, he plans out all the drugs, all the procedures and the time table. When I've had questions about my cycles, all questions are given to him, and then I'll receive my answer either from him or from the nurse. When there is a problem, I can speak to him directly, or the nurse can relay the message.
Dr. Blotner is extremely warm and caring. I've never felt rushed, quite the opposite-I've found him to be more than willing to take as much time as needed-even when I've requested to see him during a non-scheduled appointment time, such as a blood work day.
He sometimes forgets little details-such as where you live, or what your occupation is, but medically, he is top notch.
I don't remember the type of protocol used-for my IUIs and IVF I needed low stim. For my transfers I've done a Lupron protocol. I never got pregnant off of clomid, or the 3 IUIs, but my one IVF was incredibly successful: 18 retrieved, 15 fertilized, 1 fresh for a fresh transfer and 5 frozen. Of the frozen, 2 have been used as frozen ESET, both resulted in pregnancy, but the second FET was a miscarriage due to an empty gestational sac. When we did our first IVF in 2008, no one was doing genetic testing on the embryos unless there was a known condition. I have 3 remaining frozen embryos.
$500 for IUI procedure, $1200 for medications...
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Everyone [at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology] was so wonderful, between the compassion for failed cycles, the support during the in between waiting times, the encouragement, and the genuine elation when we achieved the pregnancy. I never had issue communicating with staff; my primary care coordinator was always available, if not by phone then by email.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
The office is small, so during the clinics scheduled IVF periods you may have nowhere to sit. Every one of the nursing staff is attentive, caring and courteous. If you have questions ask them, but be prepared to receive honest answers.
I met with Dr. Blotner after having been in the care of a large fertility organization with no success. Dr. Blotner is a straight shooter, and was very blunt and honest with me about my diagnosis and prognosis. He was also confident that he would help me have a child. Because of his confidence I never doubted that I would become a mom, no matter how many negative pregnancy results came back. That same confidence made it possible for me to get out of bed every day, kept my husband and I able to plan for our future family, and prevented me from succumbing to the depressive tendencies and emotional turmoil struggling with infertility comes with. Dr. Blotner always treated me with compassion and respect. He is a supreme professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Westchester Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology. (Assigned nurse: Natasha)
Everyone was so wonderful, between the compassion for failed cycles, the support during the in between waiting times, the encouragement, and the genuine elation when we achieved the pregnancy. I never had issue communicating with staff; my primary care coordinator was always available, if not by phone then by email.
I chose Dr. Blotner after having interviewed 4 other REs. What drew me to him was the fact that he did not sugarcoat my fertility issues, now did he try to encourage me to make decisions I was not wholly comfortable with. He explained things clearly, in a manner in which I could easily understand them. He developed treatment plans based upon my wishes, and with my input. He assessed my comfortability all along the way. Dr. Blotner exudes knowledge and confidence, which is so important in such a highly emotionally charged situation, at times when the patient is at their most vulnerable. What I also really respected about him was that if a cycle was not successful he did not just try the same thing again. He reevaluated the cycle and thought of what could be adjusted to enhance the chance for success. His approach, rather than the cookie cutter approach used by the former clinic I was working with, was so refreshing and reassuring. I have read criticisms of Dr. Blotner and His questionable bedside manner. I respected his bluntness, and appreciated that he was consistently honest with me. I can understand that some people may not be as receptive to this as I was, but it was most probably my favorite of his many great attributes.
Be prepared for honesty.
After a failed embryo transfer Dr. Blotner added a uterine scraping and 2 doses of neupogen to my cycle to help create more blood flow to my uterus to increase chances of implantation. It worked!!!
Upwards of $55000
I had a failed multiple embryo transfer, but success with a single transfer. I requested the double transfer, and Dr. Blotner explained the risks associated with multiples.