Women & Infants Hospital

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication is not offered: Not Offered
101 Dudley Street
Providence, RI 02905
401-274-1100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Women & Infants Hospital to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 7Neutral: 1Don't recommend: 28.1
View fewer doctors
Other, Unexplained
This clinic [Women & Infants Hospital] runs like a well oiled machine. They are always on top of the next step and help guide you in the process. The only thing I would change was the protocol for IUI. They have you do an ovulation test every morning and call the clinic when it’s positive. Although this saves on trips to the doctors every morning, I feel like I would have had better results had hey preformed ultrasounds up until ovulation to see when the perfect time would be. For me personally, I think I ovulate very soon after a positive ovulation test, so by the time I would get there, I probably missed the opportunity.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
This clinic runs like a well oiled machine. They are always on top of the next step and help guide you in the process. The only thing I would change was the protocol for IUI. They have you do an ovulation test every morning and call the clinic when it’s positive. Although this saves on trips to the doctors every morning, I feel like I would have had better results had hey preformed ultrasounds up until ovulation to see when the perfect time would be. For me personally, I think I ovulate very soon after a positive ovulation test, so by the time I would get there, I probably missed the opportunity.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
Dr. Wheeler made sure to follow up with me on various occasions. Instead of just talking to nurses, I often would have in person or telephone conversations with her. She even called the hospital to congratulate me on the birth of my son. She may not come off as warm and fuzzy, but she knows what she’s doing and is definitely kind.
Nursing staff was easy to get in touch with, and very precise with their information.
How was your experience with Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
When I first met with Dr. Wheeler, she made sure we underwent all tests to make sure we could find out why I wasn’t getting pregnant, and also paid attention to what my insurance required to pay for fertility treatments (at the time it was covered 100%). We did 3 unsuccessful IUI’s and said we’d probably be a better candidate for IVF. We didn’t do ICSI because it wasn’t covered, and had 12 eggs retrieved, 9 of which fertilized. She likes to do fresh transfers, (thinking getting the baby back to where it belongs quicker is better in her opinion) and I had a 3 day fresh transfer that ended up in my first pregnancy and live birth of my son. No other embryos made it to Dave five to be frozen, so I am currently waiting to do another IVF cycle and egg retrieval in the next couple months. Many may not see Dr. Wheeler as warm and fuzzy, but she is caring and knows her stuff. She told me she’d get me pregnant and did. Unlike the other review, she did change up my protocol often, and because I only had 12 retrieved last time, I will be using a new protocol this time as well. It’s been 3 years, so she has changed some prescriptions to more up to date ones. She stays current with her knowledge, and even though she isn’t into holistic treatments, she had no problem with me changing my diet and getting acupuncture during my IVF cycle. All in all, I would recommend her in a heartbeat. She knows what she’s doing, and will help you achieve a pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
Don’t expect hugs, and tears when things don’t work out. She’s very systematic and if one thing doesn’t work, she doesn’t let you get discouraged, she instead tries a new approach.
Describe the protocols Carol Wheeler used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
I used clomid with each of my IUI’s and would call the morning of a positive ovulation test and have two consecutive days of inseminations. With IVF, (2015) I first started with birth control for 5 days and Lupron injections staring day 3. I also used Gonal-F and had a trigger shot 46 hours before retrieval. She’s also not a fan of PIO shots (thank goodness) and instead gives you progesterone suppositories. My next IVF cycle this year (2018) will be birth control for two weeks, menopur instead of lupron, and still using Gonal-F, but in a higher dose to give me more eggs.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Women & Infants Hospital.
They tried to space out appointments in the morning, which was hard for us working women who all wanted to be seen at 7:30 to make it to work for 8:00. Even though there were st appointment times, it was more like first come first serve with a sign in sheet. If they found out you were significantly early though, they would make you wait until all the earlier appointments were finished. It was pretty quick though, because they would do your blood work while you waited, or right after your ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital.
At the time, I had insurance that covered IVF at 100%. I still had copays for procedures, but not monitoring or blood work. Now my insurance covers 80%, so it will cost me a little over $3,000 for IVF with ICSI.
Describe Carol Wheeler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
Because I am younger, the chance of having multiples with a multiple embryo transfer is higher, and therefore results in a more high risk pregnancy. If I were 35+ she would be more likely to transfer more than one.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
The phlebotomy nurses [at Women & Infants Hospital] are all very friendly, good at getting what they need and efficient. The iui nurses run the gamut from mechanical/cold, awkwardly quiet to super friendly and helpful but it seems they are all well qualified and do their job equally well...Their website is super helpful but I wish sometimes they had more paper options that I could share easily with my partner. The two doctors I've had are great (wheeler and frishman) but very different personalities. The nurses are great but I wish their financial counselor was a bit more accessible.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Their website is super helpful but I wish sometimes they had more paper options that I could share easily with my partner. The two doctors I've had are great (wheeler and frishman) but very different personalities. The nurses are great but I wish their financial counselor was a bit more accessible. The clinic should do work on their phone system ease of use and their bill pay through women and infants is consistently failing and near impossible to use.
Staff is super friendly and take all the time you need to be explained to and answer questions.
The phlebotomy nurses are all very friendly, good at getting what they need and efficient. The iui nurses run the gamut from mechanical/cold, awkwardly quiet to super friendly and helpful but it seems they are all well qualified and do their job equally well.
How was your experience with Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
She comes off as very intelligent and knowledgeable, however perhaps she not for everyone as she may come off as mechanical and detatched. Very cut to the chase and practical which I appreciate instead of niceties. She listens well and answers whatever questions or concerns of yours that she can.
Come prepared with specific questions and do your homework to make the most of the meetings.
So far I have done three cycles of iui beginning with day three baseline blood work and ultrasound, followed by 5 nights of Clomid. On approximately day 10 youll have another bloodwork and ultrasound. That evening they call and instruct whether you can take the injectable Ovidrel to induce ovulation. Then two days later the iui is scheduled, followed a week later by a progesterone bloodwork and in another week a beta blood draw.
Typically physician payments come from care New England and other labwork etc from women and infants directly. Dr. Visits were charged by time used (at least with Cigna) and the financial counselor s are helpful and a great resource.
This doesn't apply to the treatment I've listed as receiving.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Although we decided to stop treatment, if we decide we are going to pursue treatment again, we will 100% return to this facility [Women & Infants Hospital] and under the care of Dr. Alvero. Communication was great and I never felt like I annoyed anyone when I called to ask a silly question. I loved this facility. They made a very difficult time in our lives a little bit easier... My husband and I were pleased from start to finish.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
I think the clinic is a great place to seek infertility treatments. My husband and I were pleased from start to finish. Although we decided to stop treatment, if we decide we are going to pursue treatment again, we will 100% return to this facility and under the care of Dr. Alvero. Communication was great and I never felt like I annoyed anyone when I called to ask a silly question. I loved this facility. They made a very difficult time in our lives a little bit easier.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Dr. Alvero always made me feel important and that my feelings mattered. He always made me feel like I could ask any questions I had or share all my concerns.
The nursing staff was absolutely AMAZING. I cried my last appointment simply because of how compassionate they had been to me. When they called with updates, they always made a personal connection and made me feel like they truly cared about me and the outcome of our cycles.
How was your experience with Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Dr. Alvero did everything he could to try to figure out what was causing our unexplained infertility. Each IVF cycle gave us more information and as hard as it all was for me to hear, he always did a great job explaining everything and giving us all our options. He never pressured us into anything but gave his expert advice and what our chances were for each cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital?
Choose him for your doctor!
Describe the protocols Ruben Alvero used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
We tried the antagonist protocol twice, the second time being with higher doses of meds. The last cycle, we did estrogen priming protocol due to my poor response.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ruben Alvero at Women & Infants Hospital.
We are lucky to have great health insurance in Massachusetts. The costs were mostly covered by insurance, which the exception of medications and some of the surgery costs.
Ruben Alvero
Providence
Some of the nursing staff [at Women and Infants] made racially charged comments surrounding the election and about Muslim Americans in our presence, which was extremely uncomfortable. We were speaking amongst ourselves about the upcoming Women's March in Washington, and the nurse became extremely upset and started ranting about "Those muslims" and those "Angry muslims" ect. This was WHILE she was taking blood in anticipation of our first IUI.
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
The strengths include proximity - it's close to downtown Providence and open on the weekends. The administrative staff is ok - depends on who you get. Their dedicated financial counselor, however, was also unkind. Despite trying IUI twice, she never did meet with us as requested to go over the cost of IVF or anything else. It was super frustrating.
The first appointment, when my spouse and I were still trying to decide if we were going to move forward, Dr. Wheeler brought us in for what we thought was just an initial consultation. However, during the appointment, she referred to us as "my gays" as in, I love my gays - more options - which would seem to be kind, but felt...really hostile. I know, I know - that's subjective, but she also wrote a LONG paragraph on her professional site describing her relationship to church and religion - not exactly what we were looking for. She didn't want to answer ANY of our questions and would simply avoid or re-direct. It was really confusing and frustrating.
Some of the nursing staff made racially charged comments surrounding the election and about Muslim Americans in our presence, which was extremely uncomfortable. We were speaking amongst ourselves about the upcoming Women's March in Washington, and the nurse became extremely upset and started ranting about "Those muslims" and those "Angry muslims" ect. This was WHILE she was taking blood in anticipation of our first IUI. It was shocking and disgusting. She also made it clear that she had only recently come to accept gays - I don't remember the specific comment, but something like "I try to accept all lifestyles" etc., which is basically code for "I think your love is a lifestyle, like eating vegan or partying a lot, i.e., not for me, but I guess you shouldn't be persecuted for it". Not a comfortable experience.
How was your experience with Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
I felt as though Dr. Wheeler held back in terms of what to expect, and wouldn't commit to any outcome or even discuss the chances, aside from saying "well, you're older, so..." Not the best bed side manner, not the most LGBT friendly. Our first visit, she separated us physically, without telling us why and then informed me that I was going to have a gynecological exam - not by her, but by a male doctor. It was extremely upsetting as I felt I was coerced and did not have the chance to consent - in addition, they wouldn't allow my same sex spouse in the room, which is standard protocol. This made me feel even more nervous, like he had a reason for not allowing them to provide me support. Overall, it was a horrid, horrid experience.
Be extremely assertive - insist on knowing BEFORE you come in what to expect, especially in terms of gynecological exams. I asked for data on the clinic and was denied = she wouldn't tell me or discuss. I asked for reasoning behind trying natural cycles (I was over 40) and wasn't given an answer. I asked for what she thought my chances were and she just said "the same as other women your age"?? What does that mean? No idea. I'm not the specialist - she is, but we never received any specific information.
She insisted we try two cycles naturally. By the second try, we were ready to move on to another clinic, based on how uncomfortable we were made to feel by multiple people.
250.00 per IUI
Providence
The clinic [Womens and Infants] has great staff from the first person at the desk to the last person you see at your appointment. They communicate well and always return phone calls in a timely manner. I always receive results and hear from them when they say I will. They are also very empathetic when giving negative news...We have been doing IUI without success unfortunately but he has followed some testing protocols to make sure that we are not missing anything. He made sure that I was ovulating through a blood test, checked my ovaries through testing, etc.
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
The clinic has great staff from the first person at the desk to the last person you see at your appointment. They communicate well and always return phone calls in a timely manner. I always receive results and hear from them when they say I will. They are also very empathetic when giving negative news.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gary Frishman at Women & Infants Hospital?
I felt like a human. He is always kind and considerate and takes his cues from me. He is blunt but yet considerate of my feelings and this process that can at times be very wearing. He always listens and always takes the time to make sure I feel like I have been heard. He's amazing and I'm glad he is part of our journey.
Very compassionate and knowledgeable. They were always kind and never rushed us through this process.
How was your experience with Gary Frishman at Women & Infants Hospital?
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Frishman. He is kind, intelligent and straight forward which we have always appreciated. We were hoping to use the same donor between my partner and I but that plan changed due to some unforeseen circumstances and he Personally called me to check it and make sure I was ok with this. He has guided us on this journey from testing to putting our plan in to motion. My partner carried our beautiful twins and it was all because of him and we couldn't be more grateful. We know he will continue to be apart of our journey moving forward as we add to our family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gary Frishman at Women & Infants Hospital?
I would say going in try to think about what you are comfortable and wanting from this process. He will tell you all of the options but ultimately will not decide for you as he wants you to be comfortable and happy and a part of the journey and have some control
Describe the protocols Gary Frishman used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gary Frishman at Women & Infants Hospital.
The costs are something we have to manage with an expense account through work where the money comes out gradually throughout the year or we had to pay out of pocket once that money would run out
Describe Gary Frishman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
He is very open but of course within reason. We have discussed this and have been on the same page and understand at all times. He gives the facts and benefits and harm to each of our choices and then let's us talk through them together.
Gary Frishman
2011 - 2015
Strengths [at Women and Infants] are accessibility to Dr. Wold when needed for questions or concerns. She went over detailed plans. Weaknesses would be having to go out of office for blood work. Although a place was right down the road...Dr. Wold was new to this practice. She did most of the work, phone calls, test results. I rarely spoke with anyone other then her. She had a very compassionate office staff but they were still learning about the process when I first started going in 2014.
2011 - 2015
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Strengths are accessibility to Dr. Wold when needed for questions or concerns. She went over detailed plans. Weaknesses would be having to go out of office for blood work. Although a place was right down the road.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Devi Wold at Women & Infants Hospital?
She was very personable, talked to me about the process, was very warm and comforting.
How was your experience with Anne Devi Wold at Women & Infants Hospital?
I worked with her at two other clinics and would honestly follow her anywhere. She has helped me build my family and was honest about what to expect along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Devi Wold at Women & Infants Hospital?
Write everything down. Ask questions. She will prove to be an ally in your journey.
Describe the protocols Anne Devi Wold used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
Testing was extensive at first. Both my husband and I were nervous but at ease after talking to the doctor. I was put on metformin to help control insulin with my Pcos. I became pregnant after a hysteosonpinogram and first cycle of Clomid. I miscarried five weeks six days into the pregnancy. My next cycle was a negative pregnancy. She then prescribed follustim and again I became pregnant. The pregnancy ended after I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Wold saved my life by diagnosing early and administering methotrexate. I could not attempt pregnancy for four months. My next try was a negative test. She asked me to have another hsg to rule out blockages from the ectopic and to enhance my chances of conception. I became pregnant with follistim and a progesterone suppliment called Crinone, IUI and timed intercourse. I delivered a healthy 8lb baby girl nine months later in 2012 with no complications. I attempted Clomid again with the assistance of my obgyn in 2014 but ended up miscarrying at ten weeks. The doctor left product of conception in my uterus during a d &c . I called Dr Wold and was immediately scheduled for a sonohysteogram where she looked inside my uterus to check for damage. I was put back on Follistim and Crinone gel for progesterone support. I was pregnant from timed intercourse within the first medicated cycle. Because of my history of ectopic pregnancy and early loss she had my beta hcg checked for adequate rises. In September 2015 I delivered a 9 lb 7 oz healthy baby girl.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Devi Wold at Women & Infants Hospital.
My medical covered 90% of my fertility treatment. However, there was a misunderstanding about how many medicated cycles were paid for. Dr. Wold helped us find a way to work with the insurance and help get results.
Anne Devi Wold
2013 - 2014
Most of the staff [at Women & Infants Hospital] was very nice and personable but never overstepped their boundaries by asking questions or making comments...Procedures (not including medications) - $17,000-$17,500 for ICSI IVF - no testing of embryos Embryo testing would have run another $5,000... Wait times usually are not that bad. There was one nurse on staff who was cold and showed little emotions - after dealing with her several times, I realized it was just her personality. She was good at what she was supposed to do.
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
VERY CLEAN and NEW - it was a pleasure to sit in the waiting room. Wait times usually are not that bad. There was one nurse on staff who was cold and showed little emotions - after dealing with her several times, I realized it was just her personality. She was good at what she was supposed to do. So I usually just prayed I wouldn't get her for appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kelly Pagidas at Women & Infants Hospital?
She was very personable and went out of her way many times to accommodate us and our schedule. She even arrived early (on her birthday) to conduct an ultrasound.
Most of the staff was very nice and personable but never overstepped their boundaries by asking questions or making comments. This was much appreciated as they never know why you are visiting (such as first visit, follow up to failure, miscarriage etc)
How was your experience with Kelly Pagidas at Women & Infants Hospital?
Dr. Pegidas was an amazing doctor filled with knowledge but also realistic. She did not give false hope but was honest about chances and outcomes. She was "real." She was warm and had a good bed side manner but didn't gush or go on and on about details. She had a timer for each appointment but that let me know she was conscious of her time, my time and other patients time.
Describe the protocols Kelly Pagidas used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
We have a male factor. We used ICSI in all rounds. Our rounds were very similar because egg collection was good both times. No birth control Lupron Gonal F - 200 - never adjusted Ovidrel trigger Suppositories and PIO depending on frozen vs. fresh Both rounds were almost identical - 14-15 eggs collected - 12 mature - 10 fertilized
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kelly Pagidas at Women & Infants Hospital.
Describe Kelly Pagidas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
Because we had only a few good looking embryos we did 3 day transfers. She was ok with us transferring 2 embryos in fresh and frozen. She actually approved our request to implant 3 (3 day embryos) on our last fresh which resulted in a singleton pregnancy.
Kelly Pagidas
10 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I saw a different nurse every time. Some were great, some were awful...W&I is awful. All they care about is making money. They "accidentally" thawed the last vial of my son's donor and refused to accept accountability for it. They missed my ovulation in 3/8 monitored cycles...W&I appeared to have one protocol for IVF and were unwilling to try new things (I.e. Estrogen priming protocol, antagonist protocol). They also refused to believe me that I ovulated early on injectable IUI cycles and missed ovulation in 3/8 cycles.
10 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
I saw a different nurse every time. Some were great, some were awful.
How was your experience with Carol Wheeler at Women & Infants Hospital?
She had one protocol had would not veer from it. When the clinic accidentally thawed the last remaining vial of my first son's donor, she refused to accept accountability, would not refund the money that I paid for it, and took a "wait and see what happens when we thaw it a second time" stance. She deemed the vial going from 40 million to 10 million sperm acceptable. I did not.
Do not go to her
8 injectable IUIs. She would not increase my dose when I failed to respond. She also did not tell me that repeated injectable cycles could make endometriosis worse.
Ridiculously overpriced, as I was paying out of pocket. I didn't know any better at the time.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Ease of contacting them and the clinic [Women and Infants] contacting you back was helpful. I think overall the clinic was very well run...during IVF there really is no planning but when you discuss all aspects with your doctor you can figure out an ideal start time for treatment, although certain factors may change that timeline in the end you just have to trust your doctor...The majority of the nursing staff was very compassionate and caring...the nurses were great and helped me feel more confident during the process.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Ease of contacting them and the clinic contacting you back was helpful. I think overall the clinic was very well run...during IVF there really is no planning but when you discuss all aspects with your doctor you can figure out an ideal start time for treatment, although certain factors may change that timeline in the end you just have to trust your doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eden Cardozo at Women & Infants Hospital?
Cardoza took the time to explain the process thoroughly. Also when I was at risk of OHSS she called me and discussed the best option to freeze all embryos.
The majority of the nursing staff was very compassionate and caring
How was your experience with Eden Cardozo at Women & Infants Hospital?
I thought she was very upfront and honest. I understood every step of the process well, also the nurses were great and helped me feel more confident during the process. Although we never had a fresh transfer, I believe the route we took with the frozen transfer is why we are now expecting a little boy in august.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eden Cardozo at Women & Infants Hospital?
Ask as many questions as you can
Describe the protocols Eden Cardozo used in your cycles at Women & Infants Hospital and their degree of success.
Antagonist IVF protocol
Describe Eden Cardozo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Women & Infants Hospital.
They recommended single embryo xfer which we believed was best for us as well
Eden Cardozo
1 IUI, IVF
Dr. Wold is incredibly knowledgeable about fertility issues and thoroughbred explains the whole process.She addressed financial concerns and even offered coupons when possible for medication. She continues to be very accessible as we look to try again. She possesses an outstanding bedside manner while striving to educate is about the course of treatment and other facts of birth and pregnancy.
1 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with Women & Infants Hospital.
Clinic is small and accessible
Dr. Wold explained everything in east to understand language, on our "level" so that we knew everything that would happen and why it would happen.
How was your experience with Anne Devi Wold at Women & Infants Hospital?
Ask her anything you have concerns or curiosity about. She is eager to share her knowledge and put patients at ease with full disclosure.
Covered by insurance