Women's Health Practice

Champaign
2125 S Neil St
Champaign, IL 61820
217.356.3736
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Women's Health Practice to a friend?
Don't recommend: 100%1

1 doctor
Upon learning that we had male factor infertility, she [Dr. Trupin] immediately pushed for IUI with donor sperm. There was no discussion of seeing a urologist to examine my partner, or discussion of exploring IVF/ICSI as an option. ... This news was a surprise to us, and she demonstrated very poor bedside manner. She stated "he has no sperm" (which was not true upon later consult with urology), and told me that her recommendation was IUI with donor sperm (from a cryobank I believe she is partnered with).
I advise against using this clinic [Women's Health Practice] for initial workup/diagnosis. I feel that the clinic unethically encouraged us to pursue a treatment option that was inappropriate (without offering alternatives to explore), as that was the only service their clinic was capable of providing. If you have had a more thorough workup and know that IUI is the best option, then this clinic may be more appropriate (but I never got that far with them, since we found a provider more appropriate for us after our consult).
European, Latino, Middle Eastern, Native American
How was your experience with Suzanne Trupin at Women's Health Practice?
We had a negative experience with this provider. After our initial workup after difficulty conceiving, we learned that my partner had male factor infertility. This news was a surprise to us, and she demonstrated very poor bedside manner. She stated "he has no sperm" (which was not true upon later consult with urology), and told me that her recommendation was IUI with donor sperm (from a cryobank I believe she is partnered with). She did not recommend that my partner see a urologist for further workup. She only admitted that ICSI/IVF at another location + urology consult could be an option after I explicitly asked about it. I felt that pushing for IUI/donor sperm without educating the patient about other options for my partner to have biological children (that her clinic could not provide) was unethical. Additionally, she was rough during my physical exam and it was very painful (I have had IVF in the past and have had too many pelvic ultrasounds/biopsies etc to count, and can still say that this experience was atypically uncomfortable).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Suzanne Trupin at Women's Health Practice?
I advise against using this clinic for initial workup/diagnosis. I feel that the clinic unethically encouraged us to pursue a treatment option that was inappropriate (without offering alternatives to explore), as that was the only service their clinic was capable of providing. If you have had a more thorough workup and know that IUI is the best option, then this clinic may be more appropriate (but I never got that far with them, since we found a provider more appropriate for us after our consult).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Suzanne Trupin at Women's Health Practice?
The doctor had a pretty cold bedside manner. Upon learning that we had male factor infertility, she immediately pushed for IUI with donor sperm. There was no discussion of seeing a urologist to examine my partner, or discussion of exploring IVF/ICSI as an option. As this clinic does not perform IVF, I felt that the decision to recommend donor sperm/IUI was done in the interest of the clinic, not the patient. If I had not had prior knowledge of IVF, I would not have known that there were other options available to my partner and I.
Describe the protocols Suzanne Trupin used in your cycles at Women's Health Practice and their degree of success.
This clinic only offers medicated cycles (clomid etc) and IUI. With diagnosed severe MFI (low motility/count), she pushed for IUI with donor sperm. Later consult with a urologist (with fertility specialty) stated that this was not necessary, and other options (such as IVF/ICSI) were feasible.
The nurses were polite and returned calls in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Women's Health Practice.
strengths: relaxing ambience, nursing staff was responsive to emails/calls. cons: unethical treatment recommendations, very poor/callous bedside manner of provider. Assumptions about patients' financial situation or ability to finance procedures, and a general feeling that we were seen as a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Suzanne Trupin at Women's Health Practice.
$400-500 for consult/workup
What specific things went wrong at Women's Health Practice?
Suzanne Trupin