U. of Albany

540 N. Cleveland Ave
Westerville, OH 43082
614-895-3333

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Jain was very sympathetic to the loss of our first son and I do feel as though he listened when I had something to offer or talk about. However, I did feel at times as though he needed to read my chart before meeting with me to be familiar with my case and my treatment.... I like that Dr. Jain is aggressive and thorough with treatment. However I had very little testing done compared to what I expected. I had an ultrasound and blood work to determine ovarian reserve, a bubble test to verify that there were no blockages
I like the clinic [Reproductive Gynecology]. The waiting room is overdone. It feels ostentatious and like that is where my money goes. The girls at the front desk are very nice and are starting to recognize me when I come in. Again I repeat, if you have questions ask them. Information is not readily provided.... Each round of IUI cost $500. The trigger shot was $125. Ultrasounds and blood work were run through my insurance.
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
I like that Dr. Jain is aggressive and thorough with treatment. However I had very little testing done compared to what I expected. I had an ultrasound and blood work to determine ovarian reserve, a bubble test to verify that there were no blockages, and we discussed my history at a glance. I also never feel like I know what is next. I am rarely given any direction on how to take next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
If you have them, ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
Describe the protocols Akas Jain used in your cycles at Reproductive Gynecology and their degree of success.
After 6 failed cycles of Clomid with my regular OB/GYN, she referred me to Dr. Jain. Dr. Jain was suprised to here that we had one successful pregnancy (that resulted in my son being stillborn) and had had no success with Clomid. He decided to do one more round of Clomid and do our first round of IUI. I had 3 mature follicles that cycle with very high numbers from my husband and Dr Jain was confident in our chances. After the first round was unsuccessful, Dr. Jain felt that my endomentrial lining was thin due to the rounds of Clomid, so he switched me to Letrozole. During that cycle I only had one mature egg and so my husband and I decided to skip IUI that cycle. Dr. Jain did feel that my lining looked better after changing medication. I am currently at the beginning of our 3rd cycle with Dr. Jain. He raised my dose of Letrozole with the hopes of having more eggs. Mid-cycle check is next Monday and we will decided how to proceed for this cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Gynecology.
I have seen a few nurses. All of them are very nice, however none stick out as going above and beyond. I also don't feel as though they provide any information as to what to expect next.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
I like the clinic. The waiting room is overdone. It feels ostentatious and like that is where my money goes. The girls at the front desk are very nice and are starting to recognize me when I come in. Again I repeat, if you have questions ask them. Information is not readily provided.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology.
Westerville
[Dr. Akas Jain is] Wonderful at making you feel comfortable and bringing humor to a not so humorous situation. Good bedside manner. Does not remember specifics about us individually as he appears very rushed...I do not believe that this is lack of knowledge but lack of time...Very rushed, doesn't fully explain procedures (relies on nurses to explain everything) doesn't remember details about us...we are doing our first IUI with clomid and trigger shot.
We pay out of pocket [at Reproductive Gynecology] - costs so far $200 each visit $200 sperm analysis $125 trigger shot $500 IUI...Beautifully decorated clinic that reminds you more of a cosmetic procedures/spa office than a fertility clinic. Staff is nice but not overly by any means. They get you checked in, take your money, direct you where to go and do usually say something as you leave. I imagine there are a lot of emotions with patients in and out so they stay pretty neutral.
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
Wonderful at making you feel comfortable and bringing humor to a not so humorous situation. Good bedside manner. Does not remember specifics about us individually as he appears very rushed. Relying on him for his knowledge but he relies on his nursed to explain procedures or process in detail. We still fully believe in him as a doctor and person and we are doing our first IUI with clomid and trigger shot. We have completed 2 prior rounds of clomid.
Trust the process and know that you can rely on his nursed to explain what he may not. I do not believe that this is lack of knowledge but lack of time. If you have questions or concerns for him make sure you ask directly since you may not get that much individual time during your visit.
1st round of clomid 50mg produced 2 eggs ,( one on each side) but short periods so switched to letrizole for 2nd round and ovulation was early (unable to do IUI) along with other side effects. 3rd round 50mg clomid produced 3 eggs on one side and setup IUI date. Dr did advise of chance of multiples and advised that we could proceed with timed intercourse this month if we were uncomfortable with that and he would adjust the clomid dosage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Gynecology.
Although extremely busy (scheduling everyone's fertility timeframe, writing scripts etc.), they will take the time to answer questions you may have. I rely on them for procedural answers. For instance, my husband and I have never given a shot so one of the nurses fully explained everything including showing us the needle and how to prep and use it.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
We pay out of pocket - costs so far $200 each visit $200 sperm analysis $125 trigger shot $500 IUI
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Gynecology.
When we first had tests done, we were divided that we would get a call with results however we inevitably got them at our next appointment. They were all positive results so news earlier would have been relieving.
Westerville

When Dr. Jain entered the office he didn't introduce himself or shake our hands. He spent about 30 minutes talking to us about our previous experience with failed fertility treatments, which made me cry at points, and he failed to show any empathy or even offer tissue.... The good: Dr. Jain is very blunt, which I appreciated after so many failed fertility treatments with my previous RE, who at times sugarcoated our problems.
The clinic [Reproductive Gynecology] is modern, clean, and designed to very warm and welcoming. They have the front desk staffed with 2-3 individuals who greet you with a friendly smile. The procedure rooms are modern, have low lighting for more privacy, and are not stuffy with unnecessary decorations.... Not sure how I feel about this yet, but our nurse prefers to communicate via email instead of phone....
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
The good: Dr. Jain is very blunt, which I appreciated after so many failed fertility treatments with my previous RE, who at times sugarcoated our problems. Dr. Jain spoke off the cuff, which again, I appreciated because my previous RE was *very* reheared. After speaking with Dr. Jain in his office, he suggested we move to a procedure room in order to perform an AFC. I was grateful for this because after treatment with my previous RE, an AFC had never been performed at baseline. The bad: Dr. Jain spent a good time blaming my previous RE, calling his techniques antiquated and completely based on a handful of old case studies. The ugly: Dr. Jain's bluntness often borders on rudeness. He was generally unpleasant and didn't introduce himself or shake our hands upon meeting or finishing our appointment.
Prepare yourself for a RE who lacks bedside manner.
I'm currently under the agonist protocol, priming with a short cycle of birth control.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Gynecology. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
The clinic is modern, clean, and designed to very warm and welcoming. They have the front desk staffed with 2-3 individuals who greet you with a friendly smile. The procedure rooms are modern, have low lighting for more privacy, and are not stuffy with unnecessary decorations.
$7,600 with embryo freezing.
Describe Akas Jain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Gynecology.
Dr. Jain said that we could decide if we wanted him to transfer 1-2 embryos.
Treated 2014 - 2018
He's a thorough doctor, taking into consideration various scenarios and options. He's a little chatty at times, but seems genuinely concerned about patient's circumstances. He [Dr. Jain] did all of my procedures except one appointment when he was sick and a partner, Dr. Nash, helped out and kept the appointment to keep us on schedule.... I had two IUI with clomid and follistim injections (and HcG trigger shot) that failed. Based on age and low reserve, donor egg was recommended.
The strengths are: the environment is modern and clean. Staff are pretty friendly and you're treated like a human being, not a number. They [Reproductive Gynecology- Westerville] have an in-house LabCorp tech, so you don't have to go elsewhere for blood work and the lab tech is very good. Weaknesses: there's not much in terms of guarantee programs/refunds. Billing needs more transparency. When I've had money due, it wasn't an issue getting an itemized list of services (in bill form), when I had a positive balance on my account, it was like pulling teeth to get a list of documented services and expenses
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
He's a thorough doctor, taking into consideration various scenarios and options. He's a little chatty at times, but seems genuinely concerned about patient's circumstances. He did all of my procedures except one appointment when he was sick and a partner, Dr. Nash, helped out and kept the appointment to keep us on schedule.
My advice is the same for any fertility doctor, have them explain all procedures and outcomes in detail. Some times I feel like I'm missing bits and pieces of info that would help my understanding of the process.
I don't feel like a number because I am addressed by name and not my account information. The nurses and doctor are readily available to answer questions.
I had two IUI with clomid and follistim injections (and HcG trigger shot) that failed. Based on age and low reserve, donor egg was recommended. We had one full cycle with first donor, but embryos were low quality, transfer was negative, and extra embryos weren't good enough to freeze. Second donor cycle was cancelled before transfer when donor wasn't responding to the drugs as well as hoped. Donors 3-4 were tested, but didn't meet the requirements. Donor 5 was a good candidate, but had to back out due to an injury. Donor 6 was successful in that we got 12 quality embryos to freeze: After a negative test and a miscarriage, we did PGS testing. 7 of 10 embryos tested were abnormal. Had two transfers of “normal” embryos which ended in chemical pregnancy and a misacarriage. During the first donor egg cycle I was synced to donor, so I had prenatal vitamins and folbic tablet, birth control pills, then lupron, estrogen, and eventually progesterone shots. There were some meds taken around time of transfer, such as antibiotics as prep. This current cycle I am not syncing to the donor's cycle, so there is no lupron, but the rest of the meds are pretty similar, except this time I have an additional thyroid med due to low TSH. Because of recurrent miscarriage was tested for clotting issues, but none found.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Gynecology. (Assigned nurse: In the beginning yes, but not now)
When we started, Betheen took care of the IVF patients and was readily available to answer questions, but she retired. Lately, it’s a small group of nurses who take turns responding, but I do have nurses’ email and doctor’s email and phone.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
The strengths are: the environment is modern and clean. Staff are pretty friendly and you're treated like a human being, not a number. They have an in-house LabCorp tech, so you don't have to go elsewhere for blood work and the lab tech is very good. Weaknesses: there's not much in terms of guarantee programs/refunds. Billing needs more transparency. When I've had money due, it wasn't an issue getting an itemized list of services (in bill form), when I had a positive balance on my account, it was like pulling teeth to get a list of documented services and expenses (in a legible form that wasn't in office codes). The drop off for semen samples is not more than a hallway leading to a window with a couple of chairs to the side and can be awkward if someone's waiting there and another person has to drop off, mainly due to cramped quarters. Some times they over book and can run late, which is not fun on a Monday or Saturday morning when it seems very busy.
This is an estimate... about $22k total for a cycle: donor drugs, egg retrieval, embryology, and transfer (no freezing). Freezing embryos for my second cycle was $1k extra. Donor drugs are around $3-3500 of that $22k. My drug costs have ranged from $500-750 per cycle and not part of the $22k. IUIs were $500 and extra for the drugs (clomid was ~$25, can't remember how much follistim and HcG chot were).
I prefer single transfer. The last four transfers have been singles. For the last attempt, due to low quality of embryos, two were transferred, but that didn't work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Gynecology.
My husband had one of his blood samples go missing, mostly likely at the lab handling it, but who knows.
Westerville
He [Dr. Joain] takes your case seriously. However, the drawback to this is he is overworked and very busy. He often has his phone out during your appointment, and is texting - probably a medically related matter to another case- but nonetheless, it’s a little frustrating when you need his undivided attention. He tells it like it is- if you are looking for a passive, sugar coating doctor he is not that.
You get to know the doctor, nurses, lab people. It’s not a big clinic [Reproductive Gynecology] in Columbus. But they are getting so busy and popular. It means they batch patients ( common in smaller clinics I heard) so you may have to wait to start your ivf cycle or fet. ... You always waited once you showed up for appointment, maybe 20 minutes. And then waited for him to come in, maybe another 15. But it’s a busy place with one doc!
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
Dr. Jain is one of the hardest working doctors I’ve ever seen. He does it all , with the help of his great nurses, without the aid of other doctors really. He owns the entire process of your care, start to finish. Now, this is a great thing because you can trust HE will be the one helping get you pregnant. He takes your case seriously. However, the drawback to this is he is overworked and very busy. He often has his phone out during your appointment, and is texting - probably a medically related matter to another case- but nonetheless, it’s a little frustrating when you need his undivided attention. He tells it like it is- if you are looking for a passive, sugar coating doctor he is not that. He gives you the facts, which I personally appreciated, despite the somewhat rough package they could come in. That being said, he wont waste your time. He will do the best course for you to have a baby, as fast as possible. I got pregnant from my first ever transfer and am now in my third trimester. He didn’t fill my head with allusions that an IUI would work for us. It wasn’t going to, to doing IVF sooner was the best decision bc in 2 months I get to meet my son.
Know your goals, know your budget and be ready to get a plan in place. He is ready to help, if you are ready to move forward with his plan. You will hear your real odds and how to achieve success.
Doctor Jain remember details Of my personal life I shared with him on subsequent visits. I do feel like he wanted me to succeed, not just for him/ his stats, but because he wanted us to be parents.
We used an antagonist protocol. He really worked with us, as we had a family trip as i started stims and we figured it out so I could still start. 375 gonal f, 150 menopur, 75 cetrotide after 5 days. He adjusted after a week or so bc I had some big eggs, we wanted to try to get more little ones to To catch up. He Said our goal was 12, with my diminished reserve. He retrieved 16, 13 mature. 11 fertilized with icsi. Unfortunately, only 4! Made it to day 5 and frozen. Probably due to my egg quality. Sent out for pgs and 2 normal. FET the next month and BFP!! First transfer :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Gynecology. (Assigned nurse: Shannel)
Not enough good things to say about the nurses. They care for you, they want the best for you, and are always willing to go the extra mile!! I have a few of their personal cell phone numbers in case I had questions, needed help with injections, questions before I go transferred to my obgyb.. they were just amazing.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Gynecology.
They are great because your care really stays in one team. You get to know the doctor, nurses, lab people. It’s not a big clinic in Columbus. But they are getting so busy and popular. It means they batch patients ( common in smaller clinics I heard) so you may have to wait to start your ivf cycle or fet. They can’t have patients at various stages, they need to keep them together Or they’d be overwhelmed. As it is, dr Jain needs a full time other doctor bc he has his hands full. Really full. But he knows how good he is, and probably doesn’t want to bring someone else in that he can’t control their performance/ outcome ( my opinion)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Gynecology.
Our insurance helped a lot! But pgs was not covered- $4k for up to 8 embryos. We paid right about $7-8 , including the pgs, for one ivf cycle with icsi, and the frozen transfer. Including meds, iui’s, sperm analysis, blood work
He said due to my age (29) he would not transfer both my pgs normal embryos. It was a risk to me me and the babies. I think it was the right call as I got pregnant.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Gynecology.
I had a meeting scheduled with doctor that I think never made it to the books- I still got a meeting, just later than I was originally told. So all was made right.
Treated 2017 - 2018
He [Dr. Akas Jain] does seem to be in a rush alot of times....He is very good as far as explaining and knowledge...His bedside manner is a little cold. Dr Jain is very straight forward and to the point. I really wouldn't change anything except maybe a little more compassion...Just ask for a little of his patience...Dr Jain is an awesome dr...Just ask for a little of his patience
The easiest way to get ahold of the nurses [at Reproductive Gynecology] is email, they are friendly and willing to help...I overall enjoyed the experience. They could work on their communication a little. Shanell and Jenna are the absolute sweetest! Dr Jain is an awesome dr. The office is clean and inviting. Being able to.do all procedures in office is very convenient...Dr Jain always seems in a rush.
How was your experience with Akas Jain at Reproductive Gynecology?
He is very good as far as explaining and knowledge. He does seem to be in a rush alot of times. His bedside manner is a little cold. Dr Jain is very straight forward and to the point. I really wouldn't change anything except maybe a little more compassion.
Just ask for a little of his patience
Dr Jain always seems in a rush.
Follistim 225 menopur 75 for 10 days cetrotide the last few days and 5000 hcg for trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Gynecology.
The easiest way to get ahold of the nurses is email, they are friendly and willing to help