Greenwich Fertility and IVF Center

Tuckahoe, NY 10707
914-793-2990
660 1st Avenue
212-263-7629
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alan Berkeley to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Greenwich Fertility and IVF Center to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment.... Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
One person who knows Dr. Berkeley well at his clinic described him to us once as a man who can look at a set of numbers in front of him and explain patterns that he immediately sees amongst them. There is no doubt that he is has an extraordinarily scientific brain. But along with this, he is compassionate, honest and caring with his patients. Though NYU is large and sees many daily patients, not once has Dr. Berkeley or any of his staff made me feel like a 'number.' In truth, Dr. Berkeley spends more time with us one on one that any other doctor I've ever known. He always wants to make sure you fully understand what is going on in your treatment, both before and during any treatment course. One very positive thing I will also say about Dr. Berkeley is that he is very pro-patient in his patient counseling. I am sure many of us have experienced well meaning partners at times who have wanted to do treatments that require less financial risk, at the expense of not working as well. He reminds partners in the room that it is, in fact, the female patient undergoing treatment that has to undergo the procedures, and that they should really be the ones to consult carefully before making any hard and fast decisions. Dr. Berkeley is always in the patient's corner - and this is very reassuring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Patients who are seeking an honest assessment of their fertility issues and chances at conceiving will do well under Dr. Berkeley's care. He is kind and compassionate, but he is not a man who will sugar coat your situation. If this is the type of doctor you seek, then you will be very happy with his treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
We first tried a different fertility clinic which we promptly left before the first cycle commenced as we felt this office was not really on top of things. After this experience, we decided to go to NYU and work with Dr. Berkeley after another friend gave us a good recommendation of him. Immediately upon meeting him, I sensed he had the wisdom of a highly skilled scientist, but the warmth of a family member. Dr. Berkeley takes a considerable amount of time with his patients to get to know them, and thoroughly explain not only what he thinks is going on case by case, but his strategies for resolving the issues. He is also a very straight shooter - and by this I do not mean he is brutal with his honesty. He simply explains odds in a realistic yet comforting manner. Although we had two failed cycles, we feel very happy under Dr. Berkeley's care and will soon be undergoing a donor egg cycle as our main issue is diminished ovarian reserve. I am so grateful to have found Dr. Berkeley and to be under his care.
Describe the protocols Alan Berkeley used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
Because of my age, Dr. Berkeley felt it was imperative to get started on a treatment course quickly. Unfortunately, my diminished ovarian reserve resulted in two failed IVF cycles, which were heartbreaking to us. When we were ready, Dr. Berkeley recommended that our best option would be donor egg treatment. We did not feel like he was pushing us against our will, or trying to 'sell' us on something. It took us awhile, but we felt very comfortable with the decision we made to work with him to accomplish our goal using donor egg as our next step. NYU is also really on top of making sure you not only understand what is going on in your cycle treatment, but also helping you through every step in the process, either with phone calls or emails.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Aleksandra)
For this third cycle, Aleksandra has been my main nurse care coordinator. She is personable, skilled, scientific and warm. I could not be more pleased with her care and the time she has taken to answer my questions and reply to my emails. She is a true compassionate caregiver and I am very grateful.
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is a large place, and there are always many people in the waiting room. Suffice to say, I have never once felt like a number at this clinic. I am always greeted with a smile by my caregivers, who call me by name, and am treated with respect. The billing process at NYU is always scary as you have to check out with full payment before you leave. Some of those bills will bill enough to give you a coronary. But hey let's face it - infertility treatment is prohibitively expensive no matter the clinic. With this in mind, I am more interested in the type of quality healthcare I get for my money. NYU has been a solid choice for us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
The costs are astronomical no matter where you end up going. This is the reality of infertility treatment in the US.
Describe Alan Berkeley's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
NYU uses the eSET approach unless the multiple embryo transfer is discussed first, and I believe this is used on a case by case basis. I am comfortable with the fact that Dr. Berkeley uses eSET as I am in my 40's and already at high risk if and when I conceive.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley was great in the initial consultation. He was also great at reviewing the probabilities of women my age being able to conceive using my own eggs. He is very knowledgeable and experienced in this field, so we trusted him completely. He knows what he's doing. The only critical feedback I would give Berkeley to date is communicating better with the patient 1) he didn't mention during the initial consultation how many rounds of ovulation induction and retrieval this might take, especially for someone in my age group. 2) Each failed cycle, we would have appreciated a sit-down face-to-face meeting rather than a follow-up phone call. Since the initial consult and the first retrieval, I haven't really met with Berkeley, other than the occasional ultrasound during morning monitoring. Depending on the schedule, I was able to see other doctors at the clinic during morning monitoring, retrievals, transfers, and other procedures. Those other doctors, during my short and limited interactions, especially Grifo and Hodes-Wertz, exhibited greater empathy and compassion, which I viewed as a plus.
Go into your initial consultation fully organized and prepared with any prior lab work, medical history, genetic testing all relevant to fertility. Also, make sure that you get clarity on exactly what blood tests and exams you'll need done or updated prior to starting any cycle; infectious disease panel, day 2-3 labs, semen analysis, mammogram, etc. Also, know that you as patient will have to be the proactive one. You'll have to make tough decisions on how many rounds of IvF you can handle, whether to transfer mosaic embryos (if that is all you have), how many transfers you're wiling to go through, and when to call it quits. I understand why NYU Fertility doesn't proactively nudge you in either direction because they are first and foremost a clinic (not a research lab). But likewise, don't expect any proactive outreachor guidance on whether to continue (unless explicitly advised otherwise) either.
I dealt mostly with the nurses and fellows. Some of them were very nurturing, caring, and competent. Others were less so. Depends on who I got. Dr. Berkeley is a very matter-of-fact, analytical doctor. He gives you the straight answers and instill confidence in you that he's competent, experienced and knowledgeable. That is the primary reason why we went with Dr. Berkeley for all of our IvF rounds. His communication skills and bedside manners weren't always as consistent or strong. But we knew that going into the journey not to expect any hand holding of any kind from Dr. Berkeley.
For the first three ovulation inductions, he prescribed 225 Follistim or Gonal F, 150 Menopur, and Ganirelex. For my trigger shot, I had to take 2 Ovidrels. For the fourth ovulation induction, I had the same protocol, except he also added clomid. For the one frozen embryo transfer, I was on estrace, medrol, progesterone in oil injections.
Nurses overall were pretty good. They communicated instructions pretty well and were generally good about returning calls. A couple nurses in particular were outstanding - they were not only competent at their jobs, but patient with listening to and answering all questions, compassionate and caring, which went above and beyond. Sandra, Nicky, and Lavina, were a few of the exceptional nurses; they were really kind, and I appreciated their compassion throughout the process.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Different parts of the clinic could get on the same page about protocols. Seems like the patient coordinator and nursing staff weren't always communicating the same things - for example, when I can start my FET cycle while waiting my PGS results - patient coordinator said no, nurses said yes - that caused confusion. Some of the preliminary lab test (infectious disease panel bloodwork) fell through the cracks so I had to re-do them. Embryology lab messed up by telling the nurse 26 eggs were retrieved when in fact only 14 eggs were retrieved (26 was the incubator number). And finance and billing weren't always the most responsive. Anesthesiology messed up one of our bills. One thing I wished NYU Fertility could have provided is some type of counseling prior to the process and during the process. I'm not talking about psychological support - because they had that, and frankly, we found unhelpful. What I'm talking about is someone who was willing to walk us through what to expect in terms of the various decisions we would have to make, how to think through how many rounds, whether and how to make the tough decision on transferring mosaic embryos, how to manage pregnancy loss, when to call it quits, and someone we can provide feedback to directly (and not just some on-line survey after every procedure), etc. Not just what to expect from a medical perspective, but the impact IvF, FET and mosaic transfers may have emotionally, financially, etc. Someone who acts as an advocate for the patient. At this time, the nurse, patient coordinator, genetic counselor combined fill that role in limited capacities. But as patient, we had to seek that out and connect the dots ourselves. Perhaps this is a resource beyond the clinic's capacity, but that would have been helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
Morning monitoring was open without appointments between 7 AM and 9 AM. For the most part, that seemed fair and reasonable. NYU was good about not having to bring you in unnecessarily. One advice to future patients is if you're going in only for blood work, see if you can move up the queue, because I often waited a long time unnecessarily just to give one vile of blood. You get mixed in with the rest of the patients waiting for ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
Each IvF cycle for Phase 1 - that includes ovulation induction, morning monitoring, egg retrieval (not including Anesthesia), biopsy of up to 6 embryos (for PGS purposes), cryopreservation of embryos and transportation costs to reprogenetics lab was $15,150, out of pocket. The Phase 2 - which is the frozen embryo transfer as part of this IvF cycle was $2000 out of pocket. After our second IvF cycle, NYU began to accept our insurance, which helped with bringing down our costs. However, our insurance did not cover biopsy, shipping/handling of samples. Reprogenetics, the lab that performs the PGS tests, had their own fees, which were all out of pocket. We were charged $1000 base fee, plus $250 per embryo.
I was strongly advised by Dr. Berkeley, given my age, to do PGS and aim for a single embryo transfer.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Berkeley is not an easy man to reach but when you have an appointment with him, he takes all the time you need to explain every details of the treatment options and answers patiently all your questions. He never made me feel like my questions were stupid or like I am wasting his time. He is compassionate and understanding...Don't hesitate to ask for an appointment with him and don't hesitate to ask questions. He likes to share his knowledge. If you have an urgent question on your treatment, I would go through the nurse though.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
The clinic welcomes a lot of patients per day and, while everyone is friendly, they don't have time to get personal. The nurses are your primary interlocutors so they do know you better and they do their best to listen to your worries but sometimes it felt like they did not have the time nor the energy to sooth your worries and anxieties.
Because I am an SMC, I had to do 6 natural IUIs before my insurance would kick in. After that I started with medicalized IUIs. I took Clomid from Day 4 to 8 twice but had serious side effect. I therefore refused to take it again and asked for another option. I am now taking Letrozol from day 4 to 8 and Ovridel to trigger the ovulation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Carole)
The nurses and the nursing staff have to deal with a lot of patient. While they try their best to have time for each patient, it is not always easy. I remember being really upset after my second Clomid cycle did not work and I discovered I had 2 cyctes and the nurse not being very compassionate about it... like she did not know what to do. I am sure it was not the first time, a woman cried in their office. I was surprised to see how they poorly dealt with it.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is well organized however, because it is big, there are sometimes miscommunications especially between the medical team and accountability. I would advise to take the time to sit down with one of the accountants to discuss with them the financial side of the treatment and have them fully inquire about your medical coverage. I wish I had a better understanding of my coverage when I started. I think I would have made slightly different medical decisions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
Around $500 for a natural cycle IUI and I think around $1200 for an IUI with monitoring and medication
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Berkley on the other hand was compassionate and thorough. Spent almost an hour chatting with me about all of my options and recommended that we explore several less invasive (and less expensive) options first....He ordered tests that were needs and did In face uncover some medical issues I didn't even know about - specially scars tissue in uterus from a D&C. I would recommend him to everyone.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
I really like Dr. Berkley. I had seem Dr. Stein at RMA before and found him to be on the cold side and he jumped right to IVF as my only option. Dr. Berkley on the other hand was compationate and thorough. Spent almost an hour chatting with me about all of my options and recommended that we explore several less invasive (and less expensive) options first. He explained a great deal about infertility and made the whole process easier to understand. he spoke to me like a person and his equal and never made me fell silly about even my most basic questions. He ordered tests that were needs and did In face uncover some medical issues I didn't even know about - specially scars tissue in uterus from a D&C. I would recommend him to everyone.
Ask all of your questions. He is so thorough and knowledgeable and speaks to you in way that makes it easy to understand. So be sure to bring a list!
I knew from the moment I called to make my first appointment that I would like the practice. They were thorough and helpful and remembered me (and my multiple phone calls) when I came in.
At my initial visit he did an internal ultrasound and took blood to determine egg quantity and quality. He then had me do the X-ray of my uterus which showed scar tissue. I then had a Hysteroscopy to have it removed. I am now starting clomid and IUI
Patient and kind, and funny - which always helps.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The location is a bit of a pain - all the way on 1st Ave - but otherwise great. A large waiting room that is usually pretty empty. The staff is lovely and it's all well organized. Because it is part of NYU all the outside testing and procedures are done within a few blocks and there is no added time to schedule things, get test back, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
IUI is covered by my insurance and so far I have only had deductible charges. They are high, but that is because of my insurance. But they are very upfront about costs before any tests or procedures
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Berkeley is a fantastic physician, but NYU's program is simply awful. After a failed cycle, we were told our only hope was a donor egg cycle. It took 1 year and 4 months before we heard from the donor program. By that time, we had switched clinics...We really like Dr. Berkeley (he's knowledgeable, and has a great bedside manner) but the staff at NYU is a disaster. Before every appointment we had to check into billing before being seen. We felt as if we were treated like cattle at every appointment...
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Again, Dr. Berkeley is a fantastic physician, but NYU's program is simply awful. After a failed cycle, we were told our only hope was a donor egg cycle. It took 1 year and 4 months before we heard from the donor program. By that time, we had switched clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Shelley Lee)
Once it became clear that I would not be able to conceive on my own, we were transferred to the donor egg program. We never spoke to Autumn Arroyo, who we were told was the donor egg program coordinator. Instead, we had a meeting with a psychologist, Shelley Lee. During our mandatory meeting, Dr. Lee repeatedly mispronounced my family's country of origin. She said, given my ethnic heritage it would take at least 6 months to find a donor for me. We waited 6 months, and didn't hear from NYU's program. After waiting 8 months, I made an appointment with another fertility clinic. I finally heard from Dr. Lee 1 year and 4 months after our appointment. During that time period, I became pregnant on my own, had a miscarriage, and found another donor at much more organized and caring program. (They even found a donor who shared my Caribbean heritage.) My new team displayed a kindness, and sympathy that I didn't receive under NYU's care. 1 year and 4 months when you are desperately trying to conceive is inexcusably long. Fortunately, I found another clinic that treated me as an individual and not a case file.
Describe your experience with NYU.
There is no question that NYU is a busy practice, but their focus is on billing patients (you check into billing before you are seen every single time you go to the office), not on patient care. The nurse didn't call in my prescriptions before my cycle. I had one physician whose name I can't remember who was counting my follicles during my first and only stim cycle. It was a disaster. While she read my ultrasound results, I asked innocently, "Is that bad?" and she answered flippantly, "Well, it's not good." As well, it took over 1 year and 4 months to hear back from the donor egg program. Although I really liked my physician, you rarely see or speak to your main physician. This is common with most fertility practices. What is not common? NYU's lack of basic patient care.
NY - 1st Ave
Only go to Dr. Berkeley when you are absolutely ready to commit yourself to doing whatever it would take to have children. He will help until he absolutely can't and than some!...Both my wife and I had been through a cycle before that was unsuccessful. Dr. Berkley was able to answer questions that were difficult ones to answer with a sense of care, compassion and knowledge like he has been down this road before and knows what to expect.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley knows what he is doing. He is a veteran that is VERY up to date on the latest protocols and procedures. His office is equipped with all that he would ever need to stay on top of current trends and successful procedures. But more important than that, his bedside manner gives you confidence that you have somebody in your corner to even the odds when you feel like everything is against you.
I really can't remember the details of the protocols, but having come from another "specialist" in fertility medicine, his protocol was radically more aggressive and did involve more of a hormone therapy approach that was sure to bring results. He stayed on top of our case and was always available within the day to get back to us with any questions we had for him. The end result was after one unsuccessful implantation (second in total of trying to conceive) we now have a beautiful child who keeps us on our toes (thank G-d).
Efficient, respectful and caring to us every morning (and they were EARLY mornings!) They were ready to get the best job done at ~6:45am every day we were there and were attentive to our emotional needs as well.
Describe your experience with NYU.
strengths: cutting edge medicine, staff that could never be outdone, environment that is comforting weaknesses: unfortunately they are located on a busy side of Manhattan so the outside atmosphere is hustle and bustle, and the total opposite of the inside... this is in no way a reflection on the clinic/staff.... just a reality to the future patients that go there that you need a plan for parking for monitoring and other time consuming visits.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
Somewhere in the range of $15,000 for IVF with ICSA. and Around $5000 for transferring of eggs after.
NY - 1st Ave
I met Dr. Berkeley at my consult when he "became" my doctor. But I never saw him again or heard from him again throughout my cycle....I thought he was professional the one (!) time I got to meet him (at my consult). I was taken aback by the fact I did not hear from him again until after my missed miscarriage/D&C at 6 weeks. My tissue from the D&C had been tested, and it was triploidy, which he explained to me over the phone.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr. Berkeley clearly has good credentials and a prestigious post at a well-known university fertility clinic. I thought he was professional the one (!) time I got to meet him (at my consult). I was taken aback by the fact I did not hear from him again until after my missed miscarriage/D&C at 6 weeks. My tissue from the D&C had been tested, and it was triploidy, which he explained to me over the phone. I advised him that Dr. Noyes, who had seen me during this very brief pregnancy mentioned during a monitoring appointment (as it began to become clearer that this was a missed miscarriage) that I had a uterine fibroid and had been incredulous as to why no one had pointed this out to me before. While my fibroid didn't cause the triploidy, of course (which he pointed out), I felt that missing such a thing at my initial consult the month before (which included an initial ultrasound) was pretty inexcusable.
If you choose to go this route, find a way to beat the system so you can speak to the Dr himself, instead of dealing only with the "doctor of the day" or nurses.
NYU's clinic is crowded. I met Dr. Berkeley at my consult when he "became" my doctor. But I never saw him again or heard from him again throughout my cycle.
Dr. Berkeley put me on Clomid after doing comprehensive bloodwork (which included genetic testing). I then triggered with Ovidrel and had an IUI. At 6 weeks, I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage and had a D&C with embryo testing at the clinic.
I mostly dealt with Carol or Andrea and wasn't assigned a specific nurse. At NYU, nurses are really the only point people available to patients on a predictable basis. All calls are returned by a nurse (not a doctor), and in fact, a nurse did my actual IUI. The nurses were generally pleasant but when my short-lived pregnancy turned out not to be viable, I thought they could have done better. The nurse who called me to inform me that my HCG levels were declining was a nurse I had never met or spoken to before, and she let me know via voicemail about my declining HCG level and that I should come back on in several days for bloodwork and an ultrasound. I reached out to Evelyn Arroyo (I think she's Dr. Berkeley's assistant) about this (which required me to go behind the system a bit) and said I'd like to speak to a doctor about this - particularly Dr. Fino since she has seen me for the past 2 times. I did not receive a call back from either Dr. Fino or Dr. Berkeley.
Describe your experience with NYU.
NYU is affiliated with a teaching hospital and presumably has a commensurate lab, so that provides comfort. But it is impersonal. Impersonal is ok for the dentist's office, but not a fertility clinic. I wound up leaving to go to a smaller, more personalized clinic where my treatment felt more tailored and where I had a name.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
My IUI protocol and treatment were covered under insurance. I had copays.
No experience with Dr. Berkeley on this
NY - 1st Ave
Dr Berkley is a funny guy with great bed side manner...his medicine is pretty conventional he didn't discuss any naturopathic options.. He went through a rigorous initial consultation with us.making sure we covered all details. He is also a brilliant dr. He is well experienced and knew exactly what should be done. He also pushed the limits to maximize results. His short comings is that he is so busy that it could take a long time to set up apts or get return calls.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr Berkley is a funny guy with great bed side manner. He went through a rigorous initial consultation with us.making sure we covered all details. He is also a brilliant dr. He is well experienced and knew exactly what should be done. He also pushed the limits to maximize results. His short comings is that he is so busy that it could take a long time to set up apts or get return calls. Also his medicine is pretty conventional he didn't discuss any naturopathic options
Come with all your questions he will take the time to go through them. Be prepared for a long waiting time for the apt though
NYU unfortunately has an enormous amount of patients. So there were so many of us that I felt we were just another patient, esspecially trying to make apts, calling the facility or coming in for monitoring. But when we were able to see or speak to the dr we felt like humans because dr Berkley took the time to go through all the details with us in person and also over the phone. He made us feel like we were his top priority. He Didn't rush us, he repeated things if we didn't understand. He joked with us so that felt very personable.
This was several years ago so I don't remember fully. Dr Berkley wanted to use an aggressive approach since I had a failed cycle which did not produce many eggs though I have a high egg reserve with a different dr. I was on menupur and Folistim I over stimulated so they had to do an HCG trigger. I produced 28 eggs. He told me he was going to be aggressive since I had a failed cycle previously so I knew what to expect. What I didn't know was that because of that the embryos had to be frozen and I could not do a fresh transfer.
There are a lot of them. Most were extraordinary. Some were great. Others were not. Luckely I dealt with wonderful nurses but occasionally I had a bad one.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Strengths: their medicine is top notch. It's NYU they have laboratory resources that is bar none. They have experience with so many various cases so they are extremely knowledgeable and have top of the line recourses. Weskness: they are not personable. In order to speak to someone you have to leave a message with a call center and they will call you back. The lines for monitoring are long and the IVF coordinators and billing have attitudes.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It was a window of time. If you get there early it's quick but if you get there late you'll be waiting a long time. It was first come first serve so some patients got competitive and catty
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
For a full IVF cycle with ICSI and initial freezing it was approximately $15,000. That was 3 years ago.
Dr Berkeley promotes single embryo transfer. However when we transferred the first embryo it didn't take. Since we did not do PGD testing He recommended that we transfer 2 embryos the next time. It became a successful single birth. The next transfer he recommends we transfer 2 again he said statistically non PGD tested embryos will have a 50% success rate. So the statistics are in your favor when transferring 2. Knowing that I asked him why we didn't transferred 2 the first time as well. we only made 5 embryos so there would always be 1 odd one out and he didn't advise to transfer 3. The first one transferred was the best quality embryo so statistically it had a highest chance of success as it was.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr. Berkeley always listened to everything we had to say and answered all our questions. He was up to date with our file and honest with what we should or shouldn't do when we brought something up on our own. He was clear with our next steps and always treated us kindly and we never felt rushed... have not had much interaction with the nursing staff and have nearly exclusively dealt with Dr. Berkeley.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
The office was never overcrowded and we were always seen on time. Dr. Berekeley and his staff always took a lot of time with us to explain everything, to let us discuss all our issues and answer all our questions. We were never rushed and often spent an hour just talking to him.
We are still early on in our treatment so have not had much interaction with the nursing staff and have nearly exclusively dealt with Dr. Berkeley.
Describe your experience with NYU.
Office was never crowded or overbooked and we were always given plenty of time with the doctor. The main weakness for us as a queer couple was a mandatory counselling session that for how far we already were in our process and knowledge was unneeded and a waste of time and money, but for those earlier in the process I could understand how it could be helpful. I think any queer couples that have a donor agreement through lawyers and have been trying on their own should have the process waived.
NY - 1st Ave
Dr Alan is very knowledgeable and he does try to get as much of your background history as possible. He does follow up on you if you call or if you have a question. I would say the weakness is that he follows a protocol and doesn't feel that he ajusts the same to the patience needs... I was never offered some kind of comfort by the nurses. The doctor was very to the point but a bit cold in my opinion. And has you know all woman that are passing thru a treatment have to be almost warriors not only physically but physiologically.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
make as many questions as you can so that you get all explain. Try to think of those before hand. Ask for psychological support if you need
I felt that I was only one more woman trying to get pregnant. It almost felt like a factory, we all seam to be following the same treatments and schedule. I was never offered some kind of comfort by the nurses. The doctor was very to the point but a bit cold in my opinion. And has you know all woman that are passing thru a treatment have to be almost warriors not only physically but physiologically.
They are knowledgeable but quite cold in my option. Felt like I was one more number....
Describe your experience with NYU.
Good space. In my option a bit bad located. Check in is easy. I wish they had mychart active or a patience portal.
2012 - 2014
I could always see Dr Berkley what I needed to and he always promptly returned my calls.
2012 - 2014
See previous feedback
Think positively!!
I was at Cornell for close to a year with horrible results....felt like a cattle call each morning for monitoring and you never saw the same doctor...it was like starting over each time. When we finally switched to NYU and Dr Berkeley the experience couldn't have been more different. Nurses were so nice and friendly, they remembered your name, doctor was always available and they don't take thousands of patients so the waiting room isn't a zoo. I could always see dr berkley what I needed to and he always promptly returned my calls. I am a fi believer that the positive experience and feeling I had under NYU's care was the differences! I had 4 failed cycles with no answers at Cornell and one cycle later at NYU a beautiful daughter with 9 frozen embryos....resulting in my now 6 month old. Success on both tries with Dr Berkeley!!
They were friendly, and always remembered you. My experience at Cornell was so cold and awful that walking into NYU and the nurses greeting you by name was a welcome surprise!
NY - 1st Ave
My first appt lasted almost an hour -- he [Dr. Alan Berkeley] is super thorough and sets you up for the entire process. He's got great bedside manner. And is always available for questions when you schedule a call. I have recommended him to a few of my friends because I trust him.... I just did a simple IVF procedure. Responded to the meds very well. No disruptions.
European, South Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
My first appt lasted almost an hour -- he is super thorough and sets you up for the entire process. He's got great bedside manner. And is always available for questions when you schedule a call. I have recommended him to a few of my friends because I trust him.
Be prepared to go through your entire medical history.
When he is with you he is completely present on your case. He is super professional
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Cherie)
I loved the entire nursing staff. Even when I think I was annoying them with tons of questions, they always brought compassion and positivity to every interaction.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic was fine. Dont know how to compare it to others. It was always clean and everyone was always super helpful and considerate. The only downside: The waiting room could be updated -- a bit old looking.
My doctor did the best approach for my specific case. Nothing out of the ordinary.
NY - E 33rd
Dr Berkely is a bit dated in his methods. He was not very proactive or aggressive in his approach. I felt he was too factual and did not provide sensitivity for patients during a difficult time.... For our only cycle with Dr Berkeley, we used a combination of frozen eggs and fresh eggs, however all of our frozen eggs did not survive the thaw which is very very rare. We do not feel it was handled properly.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
The clinic is too big and you did not receive personal care.
Menopur Follistim
Individually they were nice, but there were too many patients each day. You did not feel like you received personal service and the wait was long.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic was too big, it was like a baby factory. You had to wait in a big waiting room with no privacy for up to an hour sometimes. It was an embarrassing and difficult environment.
Approximately $15k per cycle
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Berkeley [at NYU] was straightforward and didn't sugar coat anything. I really liked that, because I felt I was in the hands of a professional. My husband was really impressed by his down to earth attitude and the fact that the doctor didn't try to sell us onto anything. He was not pushy, it took husband and I 10 months to go ahead with our treatment.
East Asian, Latino, Other
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Dr Berkeley was straightforward and didn't sugar coat anything. I really liked that, because I felt I was in the hands of a professional. My husband was really impressed by his down to earth attitude and the fact that the doctor didn't try to sell us onto anything. He was not pushy, it took husband and I 10 months to go ahead with our treatment.
Bring your questions, it will be answered by a man of science.
In my initial consultation we had a chat about my age, my husband's age, what that meant for my treatment, that I would need to go straight to donor eggs. I really appreciated his frankness.
I'm getting "cycle-ready" so I am in the beginning stages, I am due to have my uterus filled with saline to test it this week.
N/A yet
Describe your experience with NYU.
Clean, not crowded, comfortable. Felt expensive yet professional
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Berkeley at NYU.
I have insurance so I just pay a small co-pay
NY - 1st Ave
Very competent doctor. Bedside manner is not his strong point.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Very competent doctor. Bedside manner is not his strong point and it was hard to get access to him to actually speak to him, but he's very good at explaining the procedures and he knows what he's doing. This is not the place to go if you're looking for emotional support, but a place to go if you just care about the results.
Make sure you ask the questions you want answered. Don't expect to be coddled.
They certainly knew who we were and they were personable. But the clinic operates much like a factory without much emotion or personal care. It's very hard to just speak to the doctor.
treatment strategy worked. he knows what he's doing
some were better than others. some cared and expressed support and emotion. others just kept you moving on
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
very busy, but well organized. it's a big clinic. morning hours from 7-9.
60K
NY - 1st Ave
Although, he [Dr. Alan Berkeley] is not super warm and fuzzy, I have a beautiful 2 year old and am 20 months pregnant with my second. I appreciated his matter of fact style and is incredibly smart. I trust his judgement and would recommend!... even with the high volume of patients, I always felt supported and that I could get my questions answered. I would recommend getting there by 6:45. I was out by 7:30 the latest with bloodeork and ultrasound.
How was your experience with Alan Berkeley at NYU?
Although, he is not super warm and fuzzy, I have a beautiful 2 year old and am 20 months pregnant with my second. I appreciated his matter of fact style and is incredibly smart. I trust his judgement and would recommend!
Contact his assistant if you need anything. She is very responsive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU.
The nursing staff at NYU were all wonderful and very supportive and responsive. They were very comforting as well. I was very satisfied with the nursing staff,