New York Medical College

Alan Copperman works in 1 office at

635 Madison Ave

2012 - 2014, Successful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Alan [Copperman] was very knowledgeable and always seemed completely committed to getting me pregnant. he does not show much compassion though and he didn't tell me about pre genetic testing, which I found out from a friend, and found it to be extremely valuable in my final successful IVF...We first tried two IUIs every cycle - no success. The 2nd IVF, the Dr. advised only putting in one good embryo, although I had asked for the previous embryo to be included. It was a frozen embryo with a different donor and therefore, he said the practice wouldn't put two embryos together from different donors. This is understandable but he didn't tell me until the day of transfer, but he did come personally to explain it to me.
RMA actually told me that my remaining embryo undergoing pre genetic testing was not good and 2 weeks later I realized the nurse was mistaken and it was good. That embryo turned out to be my son, but I had a rough 2 weeks in which I thought i had another unsuccessful treatment...Alan was very knowledgeable and always seemed completely committed to getting me pregnant. he does not show much compassion though and he didn't tell me about pre genetic testing, which I found out from a friend, and found it to be extremely valuable in my final successful IVF.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Ask a lot of questions about your options. The nurses are your friends, and the doctors do not generally have a lot of compassion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
He was generally kind but showed little to no emotion. In my 2nd and final iVF I had a miscarriage scare while traveling for work in HK and a HK doctor had wrongly told me I had a miscarriage. Fortunately, a second doctor told me everything was fine, but when I got back to NYC, Dr. Cooperman was somehow mad at me for the whole thing, which was a little heartless and ridiculous.
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Very compassionate but not all could draw blood well and sometimes it took several times.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very knowledgeable and helpful but too big to receive personal attention.
It was fine
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
not much because of my health insurance plan.
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
None, he did a good job.
2010 - 2013, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
He [Dr. Copperman] is a talented doctor but definitely lacks bedside manner. You go to him for his expertise and success rates, not because he is going to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I liked seeing other doctors in the practice who were a little warmer, but knowing that he was reviewing all the blood work and sonograms was good.
It [RMA of New York] feels like a factory. the morning check-in for blood and ultrasound are very crowded. you have to wait, sometimes up to 45 minutes to get in for blood and then wait again for a doctor to come see you. then if you have additional questions you have to wait for a nurse. when you are cycling through for IVF and have to be there almost daily for 10 days its hard not to feel frustrated and just a number.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
he is a talented doctor but definitely lacks bedside manner. You go to him for his expertise and success rates, not because he is going to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I liked seeing other doctors in the practice who were a little warmer, but knowing that he was reviewing all the blood work and sonograms was good. i did have some losses, one in particular that was devastating, and he was very helpful. at the end of the day i owe my two amazing sons to him.
he is a clinician first with a high volume practice. you will get pregnant there but he won't be your best friend.
it feels like a factory. the morning check-in for blood and ultrasound are very crowded. you have to wait, sometimes up to 45 minutes to get in for blood and then wait again for a doctor to come see you. then if you have additional questions you have to wait for a nurse. when you are cycling through for IVF and have to be there almost daily for 10 days its hard not to feel frustrated and just a number.
i dont remember sorry. i think I blocked it all out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: anne)
anne and hilde were absolutely amazing. they were my first cycles for my oldest. Second time around his staff was not nearly as good. HIlde was in midwifery school so wasn't as available and anne was out on maternity leave. one nurse gave me a dosage error during an iVF cycle and nearly destroyed the cycle.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
factory. front desk staff probably dealt with way too many hormonal women to count and now is in robot mode.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
ugh. you had to wait. you didnt know if it would be 10 minutes or 40 minutes. during a 10 day cycle its awful when you are racing to get to work. The waiting room is absolutely packed. And they make you go back into the waiting room between blood and doctor sonogram (in 2010/2011 you went right in). general impression of the difference between 2010/2011 and 2013/2014 was that they got too big too fast
we had 5 cycles. insurance paid for 2 and change but even after that the doctor's visits were covered by coinsurance. it was just the transfer, retrieval, ICSI, etc that wasn't covered. Probably 20K out of pocket for all of it
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
one of the nurses gave incorrect hormone information during an IVF cycle. it was caught when I asked a question to a different nurse as I contrasted what she said to my prior day's instructions. Doctor called me immediately and had me come in the next day. At the end of the day we were still able to do the retrieval.
NY - Eastside
Dr Copperman was empathetic and always available for questions. ... We only discussed eSET, I am not interested in multiples because of the increased risk of miscarriage and preterm births. ... Dr Copperman took time to answer my questions and explain changes in my protocol. He called me directly with results on a few occasions and was comforting when I found out I miscarried. ... Wish there was more guidance on what I didn't know to ask.
The office [RMA of New York] has a high volume and during the morning monitoring it felt more like a clinic but the doctor was great outside of that experience. ... Both assigned nurses were great. They explained the medication side effects and answered all questions. On the occasion that a different nurse called I had mixed experiences. One gave misinformation about the embryo stage another forgot something I mentioned to her. Overall the two primary were exceptional the others were just ok.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr Copperman took time to answer my questions and explain changes in my protocol. He called me directly with results on a few occasions and was comforting when I found out I miscarried. The conversation was driven by my questions most of the time. Wish there was more guidance on what I didn't know to ask. Although its hard to know what you don't know. Did not feel like a number and felt like I received the needed amount of attention at each stage.
It's a busy office, come with your questions and do your research. It will help you get better answers from the doctors and staff.
Dr Copperman was empathetic and always available for questions. The office has a high volume and during the morning monitoring it felt more like a clinic but the doctor was great outside of that experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Alan Copperman

My first initial meeting with Dr. Copperman was great. He went through all of my paperwork in a lot of detail. Unfortunately, I have to complete 6 IUI treatments before moving onto IVF, so we are working towards that... My first appointment at RMA was incredible. I met with not only my doctor, but the whole team. The financial consultant, my nurse, my IVF coordinator - everyone was SO helpful and gave me all of their direct contact information. Everyone is so accessible and easy to get in touch with.
Leyla [a nurse at RMA of NY] is incredible. She responds to me almost immediately and answers all my questions with a lot of compassion and trust. I cannot recommend her enough.... My first appointment at RMA was incredible. I met with not only my doctor, but the whole team. The financial consultant, my nurse, my IVF coordinator - everyone was SO helpful and gave me all of their direct contact information. Everyone is so accessible and easy to get in touch with.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
He's a great, well-known doctor with a lot of experience.
The only reason why I feel like a number is because when I go to RMA, I almost never see Dr. Copperman.
Unexplained infertility is a tough diagnosis since there aren't many protocols to use. Insurance requires 6 cycles of IUI, so we are going through with that right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Leyla Bilali)
Leyla is incredible. She responds to me almost immediately and answers all my questions with a lot of compassion and trust. I cannot recommend her enough.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The billing team is amazing. They were so helpful navigating my insurance plan and even called my insurance company to get information for me.
NY - Eastside

He [Dr. Copperman] is clearly expert but his communication style is to be limited and not really conversational. He does care about getting you a positive result but doesn't really talk to you very often. He will listen but there's not a ton of conversation...You're not getting a warm and fuzzy doctor but you will get quality care...There was acknowledgement when the cycle failed and that we would want some kind of feedback
[Nurses at RMA] They were responsive but when the news was bad it's hard for anyone to hear...It's very busy and a lot of patients and doesn't seem like a lot of personalized protocols...[Cost of Treatment] 15k plus 2k for pgd and medicines...There was acknowledgement when the cycle failed and that we would want some kind of feedback...You're not getting a warm and fuzzy doctor [Dr. Copperman] but you will get quality care
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
He is clearly expert but his communication style is to be limited and not really conversational. He does care about getting you a positive result but doesn't really talk to you very often. He will listen but there's not a ton of conversation
You're not getting a warm and fuzzy doctor but you will get quality care
Gonal f and menopur then ganorellix very straight forward. Lupron and hcg trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Samantha )
They were responsive but when the news was bad it's hard for anyone to hear
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's very busy and a lot of patients and doesn't seem like a lot of personalized protocols .....................................................................................................................................................................
15k plus 2k for pgd and medicines

2014 - 2018, Successful
I had low AMH levels and was a low responder during my two egg freezing cycles. During my one IVF cycle [with Dr. Alan Copperman] where we retrieved fresh eggs, he used a micro flare protocol. I think they retrieved 5 eggs, 4 of which were mature and fertilized...only transfers one embryo at a time to minimize the chance of multiples...when I did need to ask Dr. Copperman questions or have him give me extra time and attention, he gave it to me upon asked, with wisdom, but also kindness and sincerity.
The staff who drew my blood [at RMA of New York] were almost all warm and skilled. Doctors who did ultrasounds were friendly and patient and would stop to answer any questions I had as needed...Sometimes it feels like a factory, but they get you through the process and are caring and compassionate, especially if you reach out for support. Advocate for yourself, ask as many questions as you can think of, try to stay ahead of what's coming up for you and make sure you have what you need (meds ordered in time, etc.).
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman brings all of his experience and expertise to helping you get what you want. Sometimes I had to ask him to be more forthcoming about his opinion, since the tendency can be to let you take charge, but he did this when asked, and ultimately helped me not waste time and get pregnant in less than 6 months! I felt especially attended to during my FET cycle and during the weekly visits with him after my positive pregnancy test. He confidently told me everything looked perfect as we went along. I felt reassured and like I was in great hands. By the end I was so comfortable, that it was hard to leave and switch to an OB.
Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask for what you need, while trusting you are in expert hands.
Sometimes I felt like a number, when I wasn't sure if they were paying attention to my cycle and upcoming start dates and the needs attached to it (e.g. getting meds delivered around travel schedules). But overall, the nurses were very friendly and available - by email, phone, and in person. And when I did need to ask Dr. Copperman questions or have him give me extra time and attention, he gave it to me upon asked, with wisdom, but also kindness and sincerity.
I had low AMH levels and was a low responder during my two egg freezing cycles. During my one IVF cycle where we retrieved fresh eggs, he used a micro flare protocol. I think they retrieved 5 eggs, 4 of which were mature and fertilized. However only one embryo survived a week of growth to be PGS tested and frozen. Luckily it was normal, and this was the embryo that was transferred two cycles later and stuck. I did two IUI cycles before IVF. Each was with Letrozole and a trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Leyla)
Nurses were all great. Sometimes it did feel like there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I wasn't sure who was paying attention to my upcoming cycles. But once my cycles were underway, all was smooth and nurses responded very quickly to all of my questions and concerns (even the insane ones).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Once I got used to it, it was easy. I knew the latest I could show up in the morning (I'm not a morning person), and when I would usually be done by. The staff who drew my blood were almost all warm and skilled. Doctors who did ultrasounds were friendly and patient and would stop to answer any questions I had as needed.
For my egg freezing cycles, insurance covered about half of the costs by covering almost all meds, ultrasounds, and testing. So I paid about $10,000 total for two cycles. My final IUI and IVF costs have yet to be fully sorted out, but I think insurance is covering it. I paid copays of $20 or $40 for many but not all visits. I had one visit with Dr. Copperman where he was out of network with my insurance at the time and I paid $100 for an office visit.
My doctor only transfers one embryo at a time to minimize the chance of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I struggled with the beginning of my IVF egg retrieval cycle. I was traveling a lot at the time and also had to order some of my meds from a delivery service so that they would be covered by insurance. I was not told which meds I would need on day 1 of my cycle, which led me to have to buy one of the meds that had not yet been delivered locally, instead, and pay out of pocket. It wasn't a huge expense, luckily, but was an added stress during an already stressful time. I wish someone had given me more details on my protocol and the timing well in advance of my cycle, so I could have adequately prepared around my schedule. With insurance coverage of meds being so complicated these days, the more advance it can get sorted out, the better. I had plenty of time leading up to this IVF cycle, but the meds got sorted out very last minute, and only after I called my clinic to check in and see what the story was. This led to the problem above and much unnecessary stress.

2016 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Copperman was warm and personable, but also very direct and factual. I appreciated that he discussed data and probability to give us accurate expectations. He came across as very knowledgeable and trustworthy...You will mostly interact with [his] assistants, but they are all excellent. There were some times when Dr. Copperman did contact me directly, though, and that was appreciated.
She [RMA of NY nurse] was super warm and personable and was always very responsive when I had questions...I underwent IVF in March/April 2020, at the height of the pandemic. I was super nervous and stressed, but the clinic was very organized and responsive and definitely put me at ease. Luckily, despite the stress, I had a successful transfer.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
You will mostly interact with Dr. Copperman’s assistants, but they are all excellent. There were some times when Dr. Copperman did contact me directly, though, and that was appreciated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordyn Banks)
Our coordinator Samantha was fabulous! She was super warm and personable and was always very responsive when I had questions. The nurse Jordyn Banks was also great.