5.8

Waltham, MA 02451
South Portland
778 Main Street, Suite 2
South Portland, ME 04106

Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider.... I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff...Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus.
[Boston IVF] Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning...Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: . Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Dr. Penzias did take the time to answer my questions but I felt as though I was expected to perform my own research on the IVF process rather than being provided with options to consider. I do not feel as though the IVF treatment was tailored to my husband and I's specific fertility challenges. I was not able to contact Dr. Penzias directly during the process and was required to work with the nursing staff. We had a Day 3 fresh transfer in round 2 without prior understanding of this strategy being utilized. The Day 3 fresh transfer felt like a financial decision to ensure complete billing of the cycle rather than a decision that would result in a successful pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
Consider a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
During my cycles I only had contact with the nursing staff, despite a change protocols the drugs ordered were incorrect, we did a day 3 embryo transfer on cycle 2 despite prior poor embryo survival in the first round.
Describe the protocols Alan S. Penzias used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Bicornuate uterus requiring single embryo transfer. Cycle 1 started on 06-Jul-2017: OCP/Antagonist - birth control, 375 Gonal F + 75 Menopur, cetrotide, ovidrel. Crinone vaginal progesterone. Resulted in retrieval of 9 eggs, 5 fertilized (ICSI), 3 embryos made it to Day 3, 2 embryos made it to Day 5. Fresh transfer of 1 embryo at Day 5. Acupuncture twice after embryo transfer. Remaining embryo did not survive for freezing. Menstruation occurred 4-5 days after transfer. Negative pregnancy test. Cycle 2 started on 08-Oct-2017: OCP/Microdose Lupron - birth control, microdose Lupron 10 IU (am & pm), 475 IU Gonal F, 75 IU menopur, Ovidrel. Resulted in retrieval of 12 eggs (10 mature). Intramuscular progesterone injections twice a day. Two eggs fertilized (ICSI) with fresh transfer at Day 3 of one embryo. Second embryo was necrotic at Day 5.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amanda Merchant)
After completing the birth control for cycle 1 the nurse informed me that we would not be abel to proceed with the cycle because my husband had not completed the Counsyl screening. At no point had this testing been communicated as a contingency for proceeding with the cycle. I asked to speak with the Dr. Penzias but received a call from the nursing manager explaining that Amanda had mistakenly not given me the correct information regarding the completion of the Counsyl testing being a requirement. The nursing manager gave me the option to either waive my husband's testing or to have the testing done as soon as possible while the IVF cycle continued. After my embryo transfer I was not told to schedule a follow-up visit with Dr. Penzias which resulted in my not being able to proceed to the next cycle until an additional month had passed. Before cycle 2 I shared my concerns with Dr. Penzias that Amanda seemed to be disorganized and the communication was not ideal. I met with Amanda to discuss the next cycle and I asked her whether I was able to combine the drugs for the second cycle and if it was possible for me to utilize any drugs I had left over from the previous cycle. Amanda indicated that she did not know and referred me to the pharmacy. The pharmacy stated that my clinic should provide a response about mixing of medications. The second cycle started with my receiving Cetrotide despite this medication being removed from my protocol. It was confirmed that the error was in the orders coming from Dr. Penzias' office. For both cycles I was given the incorrect time for my embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: Ultrasound and blood testing begins early in the morning which is convenient for testing before work. Testing is done quickly and is staffed to support each patient even when they are early for their appointment. Billing and insurance verification is efficient. Domar center provides nutritional counseling and acupuncture in one location. Weaknesses: You never see the same surgeon or embryologist. Contact with your doctor is extremely limited. Results of ultrasounds and blood test results were not discussed regarding the implications of fertility or responsiveness but only put in the context of the IVF progress.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF.
$1200 for the first cycle including preliminary testing. I have not yet been billed for the second cycle.
Describe Alan S. Penzias's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Utilized single embryo transfer due to bicornuate uterus making multiple pregnancy a risk to my health.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Due to my bicornuate uterus I was supposed to have an ultrasound to confirm that I have 2 kidneys. This test was never included in my ultrasound testing to confirm the bicornuate uterus. For both cycles I was given the incorrect appointment time for my embryo transfer. The first time I was told to arrive at 7:30 but the appointment wasn't until 9 am. The second time I was told to arrive at 8:30 but the appointment wasn't scheduled until 10:45. I received the inappropriate medications for cycle 2. For cycle 2 I was not given my pregnancy test results until almost 5 days after the test.

2009 - 2010, Unsuccessful
I don't have strong memories of the nursing staff since I didn't do any major procedures at this clinic.
How was your experience with Alan S. Penzias at Boston IVF?
He put me on clomid three times, one of those times I got pregnant. He told me "call me when you have the baby." I miscarried a few days later. He is kind and compassionate but didn't seem to go the extra mile to really figure out if this was the right course of action.
Ask many questions
He and the team were caring and friendly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.