5.7

8200 E. BELLEVIEW AVENUE, SUITE 615-E
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
720-704-8221

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Alex Polotsky is a very knowledgeable man and doctor in the fertility field. With the way his office is ran, it was very unusual to see him more than a few times which was just to update a treatment plan. When speaking with him about my treatments he spoke with confidence and knowledge of the subject yet lacked empathy and used very blunt tones.... With my particular case and the myriad of issues contributing it seemed like everything I was doing was a large science experiment and guess as he never could decide what the answers to my questions were or how these instances may effect me.
Overall this clinic [Advanced Repro Med] is very well managed. I have never received issues with billing and any complaints or questions I have were answered immediately. I am always able to reach someone with call backs the very same day. Issues, questions and concerns are rectified as soon as they can and definitely by the end of the day.... The only downside is not being able to see your actual “doctor” very often and when you do the bed side manner is just lacking, especially in comparison to the nursing staff.
How was your experience with Alex Polotsky at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Alex Polotsky is a very knowledgeable man and doctor in the fertility field. With the way his office is ran, it was very unusual to see him more than a few times which was just to update a treatment plan. When speaking with him about my treatments he spoke with confidence and knowledge of the subject yet lacked empathy and used very blunt tones. I appreciate his honesty in some situations but he was not well in tuned with when these things should have been addressed more delicately so his patients don’t immediately leave and break down as they are doing so. Dr. Polotsky, knows his job and knows it well for standard cases. With my particular case and the myriad of issues contributing it seemed like everything I was doing was a large science experiment and guess as he never could decide what the answers to my questions were or how these instances may effect me. Overall I would rate Alex Polotsky as right in the middle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alex Polotsky at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
If I were to give anyone advice before seeing Alex Polotsky is to be knowledgeable about what is going on. He is an intelligent man and speaks in a manner that when you may be new to this process you become very overwhelmed and lost. It is important to know about the process, options, and your own personal issues affecting fertility before speaking with him as he is not well versed in his charts or patients and steps towards the most aggressive approach right away.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alex Polotsky at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
I had felt like both a number and a human, both in different circumstances. It was very rare that I had interactions with my doctor. Everything I had done through the office he is in is run by his medical assistants and nurses. When I needed to get in contact with him I was sent through someone else unless I had to meet with him to update our plan. When actually meeting with him he didn’t know who I was like the rest of his staff did, which made me not feel like a number. He could recall certain aspects that made my case unique from others and was very open with what options were out there, which aided in making me feel less of a number.
Describe the protocols Alex Polotsky used in your cycles at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO) and their degree of success.
My particular protocol is induced cycles via medications. Once I hit day one of my cycle I was to call the office and they would schedule me for an ultrasound and blood work from day 1-3. My ovulation was monitored as I took Femara and returned to the office one or two times after the initial ultrasound and blood work. Around day 10 was when I was told to use my trigger injection, ovidrel. Three days after I began progesterone suppositories and called when I began my cycle again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
The nursing staff is beyond exceptional at this office. Every nurse, tech and medical assistant knows me by name and situation. It is very helpful because I don’t feel like a stranger in this office and I don’t have to repeat my issues and story each time to another individual. They are always kind and smiling and really help pull you back when things get tough. This nursing staff is the ONLY reason I have stayed with this office.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Overall this clinic is very well managed. I have never received issues with billing and any complaints or questions I have were answered immediately. I am always able to reach someone with call backs the very same day. Issues, questions and concerns are rectified as soon as they can and definitely by the end of the day. Results from tests are fast to come back and they are very great about relaying these results to you. Their nursing staff goes above and beyond and really makes this office feel comfortable. The only downside is not being able to see your actual “doctor” very often and when you do the bed side manner is just lacking, especially in comparison to the nursing staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alex Polotsky at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Cost for my IUI out of pocket was $350. With my insurance the rest of the treatments were covered after $2500 was spent in ultrasounds, monitoring and testing. Medication was on top of this price.
Describe Alex Polotsky's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
In my case, with a Unicornuate uterus, Dr. Polotsky felt strongly about transferring only one embryo. This seems to be the consensus according to my own research. Although with the lack of funds to proceed with IVF I don’t necessarily agree with the low chances I have.
Colorado Springs

Dr. Polotsky did not take the time to explain the diagnosis and treatment plan adequately enough...Dr. Polotsky always appeared more interested in seeing his next patient than actually spending time with us. The only instance in which he actually spent any time talking with us was after I complained and requested a personal phone call from him. If you are okay with a technician taking care of your reproductive needs, then he may be a good fit, but if you are looking for a relationship, go elsewhere...
[Uof Colorado - Denver clinic] Strengths: cheap. Weaknesses: disorganized, chaotic, unprofessional, and poor communication skills among practice team members...They were incredibly disorganized and overall insensitive. First, the did not send in the prescription for Ovidrel on time in order for me to pick it up at the pharmacy. After navigating the dysfunctional call center, I got a hold of the fellow on call who sent in the prescription. The nurse called later and simply stated that she forgot. Furthermore, after the first round of IUI, the nurse informed us that my wife had an adequate response to clomid. For our second round, a different nurse (we always saw a different nurse!) said that our response to that first round was inadequate. Both nurses had the exact same data (follicle count and size) but with vastly different interpretations...
Shop around, seek second opinions, and make him explain every detail.
Dr. Polotsky did not take the time to explain the diagnosis and treatment plan adequately enough. As we embarked on our treatment plan, we received mixed interpretations from his staff on the same information. During one round of IUI, one nurse stated that the response was adequate to the medication while another stated that it was not. Given the lack of communication, mixed interpretation of the same clinical data, we could not trust that this clinic was delivering high quality care.
I have even more complaints of the nursing staff. They were incredibly disorganized and overall insensitive. First, the did not send in the prescription for Ovidrel on time in order for me to pick it up at the pharmacy. After navigating the dysfunctional call center, I got a hold of the fellow on call who sent in the prescription. The nurse called later and simply stated that she forgot. Furthermore, after the first round of IUI, the nurse informed us that my wife had an adequate response to clomid. For our second round, a different nurse (we always saw a different nurse!) said that our response to that first round was inadequate. Both nurses had the exact same data (follicle count and size) but with vastly different interpretations. Additionally, this second nurse told us that "IVF may be unethical", implying futility to even considering this approach. My wife is young (32 years old) with diminished ovarian reserve, but hardly at the point of futility. Furthermore, I am not sure how this clinic allows nurses to render these decisions and recommendations. As Dr. Polotsky is the division chief and medical director, he is ultimately responsible for the education, training, and scope of practice of these nurses and it is unacceptable.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Most affordable clinic in Denver that I could find.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Denver

He wasn't willing to try just medication and said IUI was the way to go, but didn't really tell us why. We decided to go ahead with his recommendation to try an IUI. Every appointment I saw someone different and no one could fully tell me what we were doing or answer my questions. I felt like a part in the machine-- just another patient to push through. After this treatment failed and we were not happy with how we were treated, we found another office and doctor...
The first time I called [U of Colorado - Denver] to set an appointment I had to leave 3 messages and do an online appointment request before they called me back. Office is nice and clean and in a nice medical complex. We have to drive a few hours to get there so sometimes appointment availability was difficult. All ultrasounds and bloodwork had to be done early in the morning which was very difficult for us to get to. Some of the front desk ladies were not very friendly...
I loved our first appointment with him. The second appointment we had to review tests and determine a treatment plan, I felt more rushed and like we didn't have a diagnosis. My questions were dodged and we were pushed into IUI. After the two appointments, I never saw him again-- always saw a resident or another doctor. I was never sure what our diagnosis was or what we were fixing. I felt like I was just another patient being pushed through the process. Some residents were not pleasant.
He has an accent that is sometimes hard to understand. Make sure you fully understand everything when you meet with him, because you will likely not see him again.
At our first appointment, he and his intake doctor were very willing to answer all my questions. I didn't feel rushed at all. He said he was so confident that we could get a baby that he would save a spot on his wall for our baby picture. We completed all the testing and things he wanted checked and then went back for a treatment plan. Once we had all our tests results in, we went back and he would never give us a real diagnosis and I felt like things were being hidden. He was very optimistic that we would still have a baby, and that is what I focused on. He wasn't willing to try just medication and said IUI was the way to go, but didn't really tell us why. We decided to go ahead with his recommendation to try an IUI. Every appointment I saw someone different and no one could fully tell me what we were doing or answer my questions. I felt like a part in the machine-- just another patient to push through. After this treatment failed and we were not happy with how we were treated, we found another office and doctor.
1 failed IUI.
They seemed a little overwhelmed. A lot going on in the front and in the back of the office it appeared. Sometimes I felt like they just wanted me to move on.
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Very good about posting self pay prices up front. You get a discount if you self pay. They told me I could self pay and submit to my insurance to see what was covered, but I found it was hard to get the information I needed to be able to submit the things that my insurance would cover. Finally, when it was determined that they were in network with my insurance and were required to submit it, they upped all my costs and it was a nightmare to deal with them and insurance. Seemed shady. The first time I called to set an appointment I had to leave 3 messages and do an online appointment request before they called me back. Office is nice and clean and in a nice medical complex. We have to drive a few hours to get there so sometimes appointment availability was difficult. All ultrasounds and bloodwork had to be done early in the morning which was very difficult for us to get to. Some of the front desk ladies were not very friendly.
I did the self pay option which means they don't submit it to my insurance (but I was told I could do that myself) and I save 40%. I chose this because I wasn't sure what my insurance would cover. When it was determined that they were in network and legally had to submit to my insurance, they upped all the costs and changed procedures. It was a mess. If you were a self pay patient, it would probably be fine. Intake and follow up appointment were each 250$ Semen analysis- $166 Pelvic ultrasound- between 500 and 600 Hysterosalpingogram- 1,200 ish Blood work costs seemed pretty average-- maybe slightly less than other places I have tried. IUI was quoted to be 800 ish, but cost us closer to 1200 because of additional ultrasounds.
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
They told me I could self pay and then submit on my own to my insurance. When it was determined that they were in network with my insurance and they had to submit the paperwork it was a nightmare. Costs and procedures were changed and they delayed my requests to submit. Sometimes getting a hold of someone is hard.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I had decent experiences with Dr. Polotsky up until my miscarriage.... I was then diagnosed with a missed miscarriage he recommended I come into the office 2 days later. Being emotional and hormonal and wanting the nightmare of being done with my IVF journey (or so we thought) I agreed although I had reservations when he said it would not be with sedation. The procedure itself was human torture...I finally after screaming involuntarily for what felt like forever we stopped the procedure and I had to take meds to finish miscarrying after all. There was no sympathy, no empathy.
Honestly I can't say I remember a single nurse [at U of Colorado]. Most phone calls were from providers...Once they got an ultrasound tech it was simpler and smoother process than the wait that occurred when it was the provider doing all ultrasound...IVF ~$14000 I believe not including meds. They would not run anything through insurance and never told me I could try to submit claim forms...incomplete records sent to New clinic...When I had my miscarriage however I felt like a number.
I had decent experiences with Dr. Polotsky up until my miscarriage. I'm in the healthcare field and understand there are no guarantees. My first transfer was unexpected and we had never even discussed that a fresh transfer would be an option until the day of. My frozen transfer things were more controlled. When a heartbeat and fetal pole were difficult to obtain at 7 weeks after being clear at 6, he sent to a more specialized ultrasound tech/mfm which I appreciated. However when I was then diagnosed with a missed miscarriage he recommended I come into the office 2 days later. Being emotional and hormonal and wanting the nightmare of being done with my IVF journey (or so we thought) I agreed although I had reservations when he said it would not be with sedation. The procedure itself was human torture. I was given no pain meds, the used lidocaine but didn't even let it work. I finally after screaming involuntarily for what felt like forever we stopped the procedure and I had to take meds to finish miscarrying after all. There was no sympathy, no empathy. I've worked in teaching hospitals for 15 years and am all for residents learning. But on multiple occasions (including my miscarriage procedure which I've asked 2 other REs and they said they wouldn't do that unless a woman was hemorrhaging to death) it was not appropriate to have a resident perform procedures. I can think of a few other cases where the resident clearly had no idea what they we doing and I was a dummy for them to fumble around with.
Remember that we are humans going through something so emotional and hard for something we want so badly. We're not a learning opportunity for everyone.
I appreciated his initial approach and collaboration regarding our case and IVF. When I had my miscarriage however I felt like a number.
I don't remember to be honest. Was on follistim, menopur, ganirelex. Probably had mild OHSS and was treated with cabergoline but probably never should have been allowed to do a fresh transfer.
Honestly I can't say I remember a single nurse. Most phone calls were from providers
Describe your experience with Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Less expensive than anyone else in town
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO).
Initial plan was to do eset with testing but we didn't due to low number of embryos
What specific things went wrong at Advanced Reproductive Medicine (U of CO)?
Just incomplete records sent to New clinic