Medical SchoolUCSD
FellowshipUSC
35 CASA STREET #260
SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA 93405
805.543.2228
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alex Steinleitner to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Central Coast Fertility to a friend?
My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia, so we did an micro tese a day before my egg retrieval followed by ICSI [with Dr. Steinleitner]...very straight forward with treatment and is always confident with each step, he gave me hope when i had 0 hope left, although he isnt one to be super compassionate you must go in with a thick skin knowing he wont be sugar coating anything. He didnt make me feel overwhelmed with anything and he didn’t make me spend money on extra things where he didnt see fit.
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Dr. S is very straight forward with treatment and is always confident with each step, he gave me hope when i had 0 hope left, although he isnt one to be super compassionate you must go in with a thick skin knowing he wont be sugar coating anything. He didnt make me feel overwhelmed with anything and he didn’t make me spend money on extra things where he didnt see fit.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Go in with thick skin and ask all questions before treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
At times i felt like i was treated like a number when i recieved news of my chemical pregnancy and wanted to ask a various amount of questions and felt like i would get shutdown. But overall i felt i was treated like a human the staff was always nice to me
Describe the protocols Alex Steinleitner used in your cycles at Central Coast Fertility and their degree of success.
My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia, so we did an micro tese a day before my egg retrieval followed by ICSI. To prep for egg retrieval we did menopur and ganirelix with a trigger for approximately 10 days. We did a frozen embryo transfer and got a positive but end result was chemical pregnancy, for our 2nd transfer we finally got our BFP and are waiting for our first ultrasound
Describe your experience with your nurse at Central Coast Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tamar)
I was always seen by Tamar or Darlene and they are absolutely amazing! Super coordinated and know there stuff!
Describe your experience with Central Coast Fertility.
The clinic isnt the most beautiful but it has everything you need, i believe it is a temporary clinic while they move into there new one. I am very picky when it comes to doctor offices and there clinic can use some decor but it didnt affect the service so thats all that mattered to me
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility.
Our treatmebt was roughly 15,000 and another 5,000 & up in medications/labfees/embryologist etc...
Describe Alex Steinleitner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Central Coast Fertility.
We decided to do 2 embryos for both transfers but doctor let us be the decision makers for that
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
European, Latino
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
While Dr. Steinleitner was personable, empathetic, and compassionate during consultations, and even helped us out with some of the pricing here and there, he was quite misleading and dishonest along the way. If you had a question he'd give a very confusing, quick, 1 sentence answer that left you with more questions. And if you pressed for more questions he'd get elusive, even angry. I never felt that I got the full amount of information necessary at each stage. Bad news was not delivered by him, and not always delivered at all, I found out that eggs he said were frozen were not and were actually deemed unusable! My last hopes were "just kidding - not actually there" and no one bothered to tell me! Finally, after 2 failed cycles, with no proposed change to treatment, additional testing, or explanation of his thought process, we asked some relevant, reasonable questions. He became hostile and refused to treat us or communicate with us further!
Do NOT see this doctor. Seek better care elsewhere!!!
They always remembered my name and were very nice/personable, however, they were very disorganized, forgot things, and often had to wait long periods to hear back.
First did 6 rounds of OI treatments. After they all failed he recommended IVF We did a "normal" round of IVF and out of 23 eggs only had 1 to transfer. After this he recommended INVOcell which was new to his practice. I had 4 embroyos, transferred 2, they failed. Then after that found out the other 2 were not actually viable as he said they were.
Some were better than others. They were extremely disorganized. Often gave me incorrect medication orders, calendars, and information. They were very kind, but way disorganized and often took forever to get responses back. It did not make you feel like you could get the info you need nor rely on it when you got it. I think though it's the doctor's fault for spreading them so thin. He works in several offices in different cities managing multiple cycles at once, and I believe that's the root of the problem - juggling too much and making mistakes just everywhere. Such a shame.
Describe your experience with Central Coast Fertility.
I mentioned it before, but I think they are just spread too thin between the various offices in SLO, Santa Barbara, and Fresno, and now doing INVOCell right out of his SLO office. He's likely trying to do too much, and so everything suffers - patient care, communication, information, results, overall quality of care, time with patient, all of it. Then, when you try to question things he gets rude and angry real quick. When we started out it seemed like a good fit and trustworthy practice, but it went downhill quickly
About $4000 for all OI cycles, about $15000 for "regular" IVF cycle + around $3000 for meds and about $4000 for INVOcell cycle + around $2000 for meds
He recommended 2 embryo transfer for us due to age (38) but first time we only had 1 to consider, second time we did do 2 embryos at day 3
SAN LUIS OBISPO
I had Dr. S [Dr. Steinleitner] cell phone number. During our appointments we never felt rushed. We were always encouraged to ask questions.Because we had been dealing with fertility and other health issues for quite some time we were able to convey to Dr. S. that we needed him to be straightforward with us at all times and he respected this wish. His bedside manner is unique. If you want someone to hand hold and comfort you then you'll be disappointed. He did show compassion.
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
I was referred to Dr. S by a friend who is a local OB/GYN and has also experienced infertility firsthand. He had just opened a satellite office in Fresno and it was good to have another option as we had already been to the only other fertility doctor in town. His pricing was very fair and reasonable. Based on our tax return he offered us a discount on his fees. Because we had been dealing with fertility and other health issues for quite some time we were able to convey to Dr. S. that we needed him to be straightforward with us at all times and he respected this wish. His bedside manner is unique. If you want someone to hand hold and comfort you then you'll be disappointed. He did show compassion. There were 1-2 instances where I felt like the communication could have been clearer. For example, at some point we only had 1 viable embryo. I'm not sure when this changed from 2 to 1 but we didn't find out until we were on our way back to the clinic to have the embryo transfer. Unfortunately, I ended up having a chemical pregnancy. The calls from the person in the office were very vague and disconnected. I took the first blood test on Christmas Eve and received a call stating I was kinda pregnant (I'm paraphrasing). I repeated the test a few days later and received another call indicating my number had dropped to zero. I understand the doctor was very busy but I believe we should have been asked if we wanted to schedule a follow up or if we at least knew how we wanted to proceed. There was no communication from the office after that call. In all honesty I felt like a number at that point but I don't know if that was just standard protocol. If I had not scheduled a follow up and asked specific questions I would not have known that I had a chemical pregnancy. If we were to move forward I'd feel comfortable working with Dr. S. again.
Hold everyone accountable. If someone says they will call and they don't, call them. Ask questions.
I had Dr. S cell phone number. During our appointments we never felt rushed. We were always encouraged to ask questions.
I don't remember the specifics of the protocol that was used. I don't have anything to compare to.
The protocol was in line with our wishes and everything was explained to us well in advance.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Alex is a doctor who is quite obviously passionate about his field and practice. He is very thorough with us and answers all of our questions in a respectful and easy to understand manner. He is very accommodating and traveled 4 hours to the clinic of our insurance's choice so our procedure would be covered. He also adjusted our treatment plan as needed when I was developing eggs slower than anticipated. When I had issues obtaining my medications through my insurance on time, he was so sweet and allowed us to get our medications in his office for free, and replace them with the drugs we received from my insurance the following week, so we wouldn't have to move our cycle dates. His prices are average to the industry and we are so happy we chose him to be our RE. I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone looking for an RE on the central coast or central valley. He has 2 offices. One in Fresno, CA and the other in San Luis Obispo, CA.
Don't think you can't get IVF because you can't afford it. While there are some upfront costs, Dr. Steinleitner's office is able to set up monthly payments for those who don't have insurance coverage and can't afford upfront costs.
Alex is extremely accommodating. He was willing to travel to the facility of our insurance's choice to get the procedure costs covered by insurance. He takes his time to discuss the situation and creates a customized plan for your care. He was willing to fit us in on weekends and after hours when necessary for our treatment plan. He even gave us his cll phone number for weekend calls due to my cycle.
I was a complete emotional trainwreck when we started our cycle. The nurses showed my husband how to give my shots and make the syringes. However, I wasn't paying attention and when it came time to start our shots, I wasn't comfortable allowing him to give them to me without knowing what he was doing. The nursing staff told us to come on in without an appointment and they would teach us again. When we arrived, I was crying and upset. They were so kind and understanding. They assured me my husband knew what he was doing and they watched him administer my shots. They reminded me he is here to help me and I'm not alone in this process. They told me to let him help me and to trust him with the process. I felt so much better when we left and my husband was very confident in his abilities after our appointment.
2013 - 2014
Dr. Steinleitner was a nice guy, but as a doctor he seemed a little careless....But perhaps the biggest issue I had with Steinleitner was that after a poor response from my first IVF cycle, he didn't try a different protocol. He put me on slightly stronger stims, but overall still pretty mild. I ended up having to cancel the second cycle, too, and he recommended we seek a second opinion. After going through an IVF cycle with a new doctor, Steinleitner's lack of attention to detail became even more apparent.
2013 - 2014
European, Latino
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Dr. Steinleitner was a nice guy, but as a doctor he seemed a little careless. I never felt that he had read my chart before entering the room to see me. He would walk in and say "ok, what are we doing today?" I wiuld answer "today we are doing a baseline ultrasound," or whatever, but in my head I was always thinking "why don't you tell me what the hell we're doing today?" Also, he didn't pay close attention to detail. I did three IUIs with him, and the first two were very painful because he used the wrong size speculum and got flustered that it wasn't working. On the third IUI, I had to remind him beforehand what size speculum to use and what do you know, that one went super smoothly. But perhaps the biggest issue I had with Steinleitner was that after a poor response from my first IVF cycle, he didn't try a different protocol. He put me on slightly stronger stims, but overall still pretty mild. I ended up having to cancel the second cycle, too, and he recommended we seek a second opinion. After going through an IVF cycle with a new doctor, Steinleitner's lack of attention to detail became even more apparent. The new doctor had me doing blood tests almost daily during the stims, and I didn't do any blood testing during the stim cycles with Steinleitner. Maybe if I had, he would have been able to detect the poor response sooner and course correct. Instead, thousands of dollars of meds went down the drain. The good thing about Steinleitner is that he was very sympathetic and he seemed to generally care and feel bad that he couldn't get us pregnant. His office has a policy where you pay half of the fee upon start of treatment, and you only pay the other half if you achieve a pregnancy. We didn't even make it to a retrieval so he ended up generously refunding almost our entire payment, save for the costs of ultrasounds. It was astounding, and we were incredibly greatful.
Dr. Steinleitner is great if your needs are simple and straightforward. But if your case is a bit more complex, it might behoove you to seek an expert from San Francisco or LA.
Dr. Steinleitner was a father himself, so he seemed to care passionately about his work and spoke openly about that fact. He gave hugs and was very kind.
I did one natural cycle IUI and two femara IUIs with an ovidrel trigger. In all three cases, I had one dominant follicle. I also did two IVF cycles with the long lupron protocol, and 10 days of stimming with menopur. The cycles seemed to be going well and I had approximately 12 follicles measuring around 11mm each that were visible on the ultrasound on day 7ish of stimming. But on the day of the final ultrasound (day 11ish), only 2-3 follicles had fully matured, measuring 17-18mm. Both cycles were canceled. I was tested for ovarian reserve after the first cancellation and it was discovered that I actually have very good ovarian reserve, so the doctor was stumped and recommended I get a second opinion.
I don't even remember if we had a nurse; the office manager, who was responsible for a lot of the disarray, seemed to take on a lot of "nursing" responsibility.
Describe your experience with Central Coast Fertility.
Strengths: compassionate staff; convenient location; reasonable fees and fee schedule; lots of face time with the Doctor; doctor is very willing to answer questions Weaknesses: overall disorganized; unprofessional staff; lack of attention to detail
IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Sometimes I feel like Dr Steinletner is really wanting to help, he made me feel like I was making the right decision picking him as my doctor. He told me the story of his struggle to conceive while in the same breath hurried me in and out of his office. I think more so then him his staff really make you feel like a number and the slight inclination of hesitation on the quotes giving they are quick to shut down and almost just want to cut off the call or emai.
IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Dr Steinletner is a nice man who is quite serious and to the point. He listens and is quick to correct you when your wrong about what you think you know about your procedures or medicine. But I think My experience with the doctor is just that my experience. I would love to share in hopes that I can help someone as others did for me. I read his reviews the good with the bad and still choose him. I feel like as much as we relate in our pain to one another our experiences defer. To be completely honest I found he was the most affordable in our area and my choices were very limited with my financial resources as well as where I live.
Let him know how you feel stand your ground and don’t let him intimidate you just because he’s the doctor. You know your body best if you have a concern let know.
IUI, 1 IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The Dr [Steinleitner] was warm and welcoming. He has a sense of humor, which was helpful during stressful conversations. He was very thorough and explained things well... wants to make sure you understand all aspects of your treatment. He was very comprehensive with the testing her performed which gave us a lot of good information. I felt listened to and understood...He can be a bit blunt but that is his manner when explaining things initially.
IUI, 1 IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
He is very thorough and wants to make sure you understand all aspects of your treatment. He was very comprehensive with the testing her performed which gave us a lot of good information. I felt listened to and understood.
He can be a bit blunt but that is his manner when explaining things initially.
The Dr was warm and welcoming. He has a sense of humor, which was helpful during stressful conversations. He was very thorough and explained things well.
I was on so much. I don’t remember it all.
I saw different people at different times. It’s hard to describe them as they are all different.
Describe your experience with Central Coast Fertility.
They are hard to get into initially. Be prepared to wait for an appointment. Once you have your protocol then appointments aren’t as hard to get into. They also use an app to communicate with you. I enjoyed that.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Central Coast Fertility.
My monitoring appointments were scheduled at a regular time but I always had to wait in between other patients.
Around 7000 for one cycle of ivf and the testing that was done to prepare for it.
We haven’t done our transfer yet but he shared that he would only implant one embryo at a time.
SAN LUIS OBISPO
[Dr Alex Steinleitner] is not a hand holder... He is busy and does not have much time...Strengths: knows his science and does not lack confidence. Weakness:...bedside and communication... [Nurses] Jayran and Debbie are the best! Erica then new MA is great as well
How was your experience with Alex Steinleitner at Central Coast Fertility?
Strengths: knows his science and does not lack confidence. Weakness: pot bedside and communication
Go in with thick skin
Dr S is not a hand holder... He is busy and does not have much time
Antagonist
Describe your experience with your nurse at Central Coast Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jayran)
Jayran and Debbie are the best! Erica then new MA is great as well
Describe your experience with Central Coast Fertility.
Beautiful clinic, staff seems confised
The doctor, facility, anesthesiologist, meds, pgs