Nurse available by email
East Palo Alto, CA 94303
800-597-2234
2581 Samaritan Dr.
San Jose, CA 95124
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alexis Kim to a friend?
Neutral: 71%Don't recommend: 29%7.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Palo Alto Medical Foundation to a friend?
2017 - 2020
6 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Kim is solid if you fit in a box or are an easy case. If you are a hard case, it may be harder to find the cause because PAMF doesn’t automatically do things like DNA fragmentation tests, karyotype testing, etc. .... have no issue with Dr. Kim. I haven’t had success in three years of treatment, but it is hard to know whether that is because of my condition or PAMF. Dr. Kim is kind, calm and patient. He takes the time to explain things. He doesn’t over promise and seems to be science based. What I appreciate about him is that he doesn’t push outlandish IVF add-ons, but be is still willing to try things when you specifically request it (for example, I asked to do karyotype testing even though it wouldn’t be super helpful or didn’t seem particularly needed, and he was willing to let me do it upon request).
I have no complaints about the clinic [Palo Alto Medical Foundation], other than none of my cycles have worked. That could be because I am a hard case, but it is hard to determine what is the root cause. I have seen no major mistakes, I am treated with respect and I can get in relatively quickly. I think some of the bad reviews of this practice were from a long time ago, but I think PAMF must have made a lot of progress since then in improving their services because a lot of the criticism seems unfair. PAMF doesn’t solicit reviews, so none of the content patients come here to post.
2017 - 2020
6 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
I have no issue with Dr. Kim. I haven’t had success in three years of treatment, but it is hard to know whether that is because of my condition or PAMF. Dr. Kim is kind, calm and patient. He takes the time to explain things. He doesn’t over promise and seems to be science based. What I appreciate about him is that he doesn’t push outlandish IVF add-ons, but be is still willing to try things when you specifically request it (for example, I asked to do karyotype testing even though it wouldn’t be super helpful or didn’t seem particularly needed, and he was willing to let me do it upon request).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
My doctor always remembers my name and history.
Describe the protocols Alexis Kim used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
First round, long lupron. Poor responder, cycle almost cancelled. Moved on to microdose flare which was better.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kristi )
I bombarded my coordinator with a gabillion questions and requests. She or another team member never forgot to respond or help. I have witnessed no major mistakes. The group operates very well.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I have no complaints about the clinic, other than none of my cycles have worked. That could be because I am a hard case, but it is hard to determine what is the root cause. I have seen no major mistakes, I am treated with respect and I can get in relatively quickly. I think some of the bad reviews of this practice were from a long time ago, but I think PAMF must have made a lot of progress since then in improving their services because a lot of the criticism seems unfair. PAMF doesn’t solicit reviews, so none of the content patients come here to post.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I have unlimited IVF coverage through my employer so I have no idea what anything cost.
Describe Alexis Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is pretty strict if you are under 35 with single embryo transfers.
+ Read more- Read less

His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. ... Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers. ... I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol. ... Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. ... Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth.
I think they [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient. ... [Nurse] Very responsive, but sometimes scheduling requests were not always granted and without explanation. ... Egg retrieval and fresh transfer: $17K insurance billed, $11K self pay Frozen transfer: $5.3K
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
His approach with the transvaginal ultrasounds is extremely gentle! However, with two failed transfers, he and the coordinator didn't have much input except that it was within the expected odds. I felt like I really had to advocate for more testing and changes in protocol.
Do some research and be your own advocate.
He is friendly and easy to talk to, but interactions were mainly with a patient coordinator.
Fresh embryo transfer resulted in a live birth. Dr. Kim performed the transfer but was not my main doctor for that round of treatment. Frozen Embryo Transfers - estradiol and progesterone only. Two failed transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I think they are behind on diagnostic testing options and genetic testing options for embryos. You pretty much have to go to Los Gatos (practically) for any egg retrieval and embryo transfer which can be inconvenient.
He strongly recommended a single transfer due to the unexplained infertility diagnosis.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
He [Alexis Kim] was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance ... He's very methodical about this being a numbers game. Dr. Kim was straightforward with us, but also seemed a bit at a loss in the face of my emotion. He also doesn't seem comfortable with advancements in the field (supplements, PGS, altering retrieval protocols)
PAMF [Palo Alto Medical Foundation] is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
be prepared for a lot of waiting time between calling for an appointment, consultation, and beginning treatment
He was very present when I saw him, but it felt like he was always very busy. We didn't ever feel like we had much time to talk, and had to make appointments far far in advance
Very warm and caring
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is very busy and hard to get into. The first appointment was 3+ months away from my call, and I had to call them to check that they had received my referral. usually running late. nurses and surgical team were great, and all the doctors I saw were good, but I saw a lot of different doctors for ultrasounds. Really like the online care portal; very easy to get meds
retrieval and fresh transfer were covered by insurance, so only medication copays and $35 copay per visit. Frozen transfer was ~$4k, hysteroscopy was ~2.5K
He was very "here's what is allowed by the guidelines," and even offered to transfer 3 embryos given my age. But the decision was 100% up to us.
What specific things went wrong at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?