Vanderbilt

2581 Samaritan Dr.
San Jose, CA 95124

1 patient review filtered by:

Treated 2017 - 2020
It was a very long journey but Dr. Kim and his team ultimately delivered (I graduated from the clinic after my fifth transfer which resulted in a pregnancy). Dr. Kim is kind, calm and patient. He has a really steady and gentle hand in procedures - other doctors will ram a probe painfully but Dr. Kim avoids that. He takes the time to explain things too. He doesn’t over promise and is science based. What I appreciate about him is that he doesn’t push outlandish IVF add-ons, but he is still willing to try things when you specifically request it (for example, I asked to do karyotype testing even though it wouldn’t be super helpful or didn’t seem particularly needed, and he was willing to let me do it upon request). At many points during the process, I wanted to change things up or do things a certain way, and while Dr. Kim indicated that we didn’t have to do things that way but was willing to accommodate, a lot of his advice (especially around luck of the draw) ended up being true in the end. One thing that I appreciated too was that given some of my complicated history, he made it a point to see me every time, even on his surgery days and for basic monitoring. (That is pretty rare at other clinics.) I was happy in the end with my treatment.
If you are a hard case, it may be harder to find the cause quickly because PAMF doesn’t automatically do things like DNA fragmentation tests, karyotype testing, ERAs, Receptiva testing, etc. You have to be an advocate for stuff like that. But if you raise it, PAMF will entertain the request but discuss the facts and science with you (and if the benefit is only marginal, they may be discouraging of pursuing it)...Honestly, PAMF isn’t the sexy clinic around here (unlike CCRM, Spring or Dr. Aimee) but don’t let that stop you from considering PAMF. Sure, you won’t have star VIP treatment, but after talking to other people who visit other local clinics here, I have grown to appreciate PAMF’s quiet but solid approach. PAMF runs smoothly. You don’t have ridiculously long waits (unlike Kaiser). PAMF stays focused on the proven science. I think some of the bad reviews of this practice were from a long time ago, but I think PAMF must have made a lot of progress since then in improving their services because a lot of the criticism seems unfair.
How was your experience with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
Dr. Kim is solid if you fit in a box or are an easy case. If you are a hard case, it may be harder to find the cause quickly because PAMF doesn’t automatically do things like DNA fragmentation tests, karyotype testing, ERAs, Receptiva testing, etc. You have to be an advocate for stuff like that. But if you raise it, PAMF will entertain the request but discuss the facts and science with you (and if the benefit is only marginal, they may be discouraging of pursuing it).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation?
My doctor always remembered my name and history. He always was very patient and kind.
Describe the protocols Alexis Kim used in your cycles at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and their degree of success.
Ultimately what worked was antagonist and Day 5 transfer with no PGS testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Palo Alto Medical Foundation. (Assigned nurse: Kristi )
I bombarded my coordinator with a gabillion questions and requests. She or another team member never forgot to respond or help. Everything was timely. I have witnessed no major mistakes. The group operates very well. I did talk to another local clinic since I was going to be forced to switch clinics due to an insurance change had my last FET not worked, and I was surprised at how much more disorganized this other famous clinic was. It made me miss PAMF - the Sutter Health app makes communication so easy. The PAMF nurses were also very kind about me graduating and asked me to stay in touch and send pictures. Some of the OR nurses are sweethearts - one day when I went for a transfer, I learned that there was nothing to transfer and burst out in tears, and a kind nurse offered me a hug which I really needed. I really appreciated her compassion.
Describe your experience with Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Kim at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
I had unlimited IVF coverage through my employer so I have no idea what anything cost. But I was impressed that they processed my insurance efficiently and never tried to unfairly bill me for things covered by insurance.
Describe Alexis Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Palo Alto Medical Foundation.
PAMF is pretty strict if you are under 35 with single embryo transfers.
Alexis Kim