Medical SchoolNYU
FellowshipWeill Cornell Medical College
1305 York Avenue
Upper West Side
2315 Broadway
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alexis Melnick to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
She [Dr. Melnick] is young and relatable, so it feels like you are speaking with a friend and makes the whole process feel a little more personal and less clinical. She was kind and compassionate, though sometimes it did feel as if the appointments were a bit too quick and slightly rushed...Because my labs were good, my age is "young" for the clinic, and I had given birth less than two years prior, she wanted to be very conservative and initially recommended IUIs without medication because she didn't want me to end up with twins. Neither was successful, so I then tried a third IUI with Clomid, which was also unsuccessful.
How was your experience with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She is young and relatable, so it feels like you are speaking with a friend and makes the whole process feel a little more personal and less clinical. She was kind and compassionate, though sometimes it did feel as if the appointments were a bit too quick and slightly rushed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Make sure to ask for the follow-up steps for this cycle, as well as what you should do if the cycle is unsuccessful. If the cycle is unsuccessful, you will have to be proactive in making your next appointment on the right day and ordering any medicines to ensure that you have them on the day that you need them. There really isn't a lot of follow-up in between cycles, maybe because they have some veteran patients, so after my first cycle, I was a bit disoriented as far as next steps.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She has a kind and friendly manner and tailored the treatment protocol to my specific situation, and advised against more aggressive treatments that she didn't feel were necessary yet.
Describe the protocols Alexis Melnick used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Holly is the main nurse)
I only interacted with Dr. Melnick's primary nurse over the phone. All of our interactions were perfectly pleasant, but it can take some time to get them on the phone (you usually have to leave a message and get a call back by end of day). Sometimes I got a call back from her AFTER the receptionist had left, so if she told me I needed to make an appointment for the following day, I was unable to.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Melnick's office is great, in a convenient location and runs on time. Unfortunately the procedures take place at the Center for Reproductive Medicine, which is huge and does feel like a factory. Dr. Melnick did not actually perform any of my IUIs, and the location of the hospital is not convenient. This was not properly explained to me at my initial visit, and I didn't know Dr. Melnick would not be doing the actual procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College.
It was about $1,200 per IUI. My insurance should have covered my doctor visits and ultrasounds, but they took it out of my deductible.
Describe Alexis Melnick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
2 IUI, IVF
[Dr. Melnick is] responsive to all of my questions and explains everything thing really well. She is up front and honest in her assessment...told me from the beginning I didnt have much time. She encouraged me to still try everything but was understanding in my hesitations. She is realistic and I found her to refine protocols specifically for me which I appreciate. She will also listen and make time for any questions I have. She is young and knowledgeable and willing to do what it takes.
2 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She is up front and told me from the beginning I didnt have much time. She encouraged me to still try everything but was understanding in my hesitations. She is realistic and I found her to refine protocols specifically for me which I appreciate. She will also listen and make time for any questions I have. She is young and knowledgeable and willing to do what it takes.
Just make the appointment- I was afraid to find out the results but wish i had started this years ago.
She is cery responsive to all of my questions and explains everything thing really well. She is up front and honest in her assessment.
I was told to go straight to IVF since I have a low Amh. I chose to do 2 IUIs first and I found Dr Melnick to be supportive of my decision and encouraging. I am now going to try a cycle of IVF and she seems genuinely eager to do it and hopeful it will work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Holly )
She calls in the afternoon and always gives a detailed message if I don’t answer. She tries to explain things as best as possible and provide explainations when numbers are off which is comforting to me.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell is highly organized and efficient. I am constantly amazed at how well things are run. Monitoring hours are convenient to those of us that work and usually move fast. I had some issues with Billing/insurance but everything was eventually resolved.
My insurance has covered most of it so far but we will eventually likely be out of pocket.
None yet but from what I feel we will do a multiple fresh embryo transfer.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
She's [Dr. Alexis Melnick] a doctor who is excellent at her job. She gets results. Not overly familiar, not cold, she has treated me like an adult, and without judgement. Something that is important for a potential single mother.... The nurses were kind and very patient with my questions. They responded to every e-mail and telephone message. The doctor also kind and understanding.... [The nurse was] Kind, patient, and responded to all questions. Gave clear directions.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Alexis Melnick at Weill Cornell Medical College?
She's a doctor who is excellent at her job. She gets results. Not overly familiar, not cold, she has treated me like an adult, and without judgement. Something that is important for a potential single mother.
Trust her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
Kind, patient, and responded to all questions. Gave clear directions.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is large but not too large that it feels impersonal. I will say that I had a negative experience with the billing department. A week before retrieval, I was told that I owed a rather substantial amount of money that was not covered by insurance. I was told that unless I paid it all in advance, the doctors would not proceed with retrieval. This was a very stressful time for me and I resented being treated that way.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I was always seen within a reasonable period of time.
$4,795.00
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?