Nurse available by email
FellowshipUCLA
450 N. Roxbury Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-277-2393
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alin Lina Akopians to a friend?

6.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Southern California Reproductive Center to a friend?
2020
she [Dr. Akopians] is doing luteal phase estrogen priming for us in order to optimize our changes of quality eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve...advised me on supplements and diet...is warm and understanding. We never feel rushed when speaking with her. We were able to ask all of our questions and she took the time to explain everything thoroughly and in layman's terms...calls me and responds to my emails herself when she feels necessary. She also understands our emotional and financial concerns and came up with a game plan specific to our diagnosis.
Both of the nurses I worked with [at Southern California Reproductive Center] were thorough, kind, compassionate, prompt, organized and knew my case well. When my first cycle had to be postponed due to the pandemic, Julia called me instead of e-mailing. She talked to me for a while and I could tell she was so sad for me. When I restarted, Sophie called me and was so excited to get going and optimistic for me. The compassion is real...we were given a cost/fee sheet with breakdowns of SCRC's fees, the lab's fees, the anesthesiologist fees, testing fees and an estimate of prescription costs.
2020
How was your experience with Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
We love that Dr. Akopians did not try to put us through a "general IVF" plan like prior doctors wanted to do. She was thorough and came up with a plan for our diagnosis. When I looked up the specific course of action, a lot of women only find out about this on their second or third try after failed attempts. So I feel like she is doing everything she can for this to work on the first try.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Since we don't know our final results yet, all I can say is trust her and know that she isn't a "one size fits all" RE.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Dr. Akopians is warm and understanding. We never feel rushed when speaking with her. We were able to ask all of our questions and she took the time to explain everything thoroughly and in layman's terms. Also, since she is with SCRC, we had the opportunity to hear from the lead embryologist as well at one of their free seminars. Dr. Akopians calls me and responds to my emails herself when she feels necessary. She also understands our emotional and financial concerns and came up with a game plan specific to our diagnosis.
Describe the protocols Alin Lina Akopians used in your cycles at Southern California Reproductive Center and their degree of success.
We are in cycle now so I have no results to provide at this time. But she is doing luteal phase estrogen priming for us in order to optimize our changes of quality eggs due to diminished ovarian reserve. I have not started stims. I will say, my first start up was cancelled due to Covid-19. However, the doctors office stayed in contact with us about next steps, restarting and completing any necessary tests and other issues in the interim in order to "hit the ground running" once the restrictions were lifted. I didn't feel like I really even missed a beat.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Sophie and Julia)
Both of the nurses I worked with were thorough, kind, compassionate, prompt, organized and knew my case well. When my first cycle had to be postponed due to the pandemic, Julia called me instead of e-mailing. She talked to me for a while and I could tell she was so sad for me. When I restarted, Sophie called me and was so excited to get going and optimistic for me. The compassion is real.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
First of all, I think SCRC has an excellent working model. We started with a free seminar which covered all the basics. We got to ask questions and hear from Dr. Akopians, Dr. Barritt (the head embryologist) and the CEO of the company in person. After the seminar, Dr. Akopians advised me on supplements and diet. Once I had my one on one with Dr. Akopians, I felt comfortable right away. Their embryology lab is used by UCLA for research as well. They went over all the ways their lab is one of the best and the care they take at each step with the embryos. The Covid-19 pandemic has forced cancellation of so many cycles. I commiserated with several other women at other clinics. But was surprised to learn quickly that SCRC was communicating with me and continuing to prep me to restart in ways that my friends at other clinics were not experiencing. They were left in the dark with no idea what was happening, but SCRC kept in close contact with me and was honest about what they thought was going to happen. I am so thankful that they did this for me when clearly that wasn't the case elsewhere. I also like that there is an on call nurse on weekends and holidays. As we all know, IVF can't be scheduled like traditional things. I got a positive OPK on Easter Sunday. I was able to reach a nurse right away for next steps. When she wasn't sure, she called Dr. Akopians and got an answer right away (on Easter Sunday). I was blown away at the level of care and access. These people are just passionate about their jobs. They also have a patient care coordinator named Ari, who is just as amazing as the nurses. Responds promptly to any question and is just wonderful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center.
We are not complete with the process yet. But at the consult we were given a cost/fee sheet with breakdowns of SCRC's fees, the lab's fees, the anesthesiologist fees, testing fees and an estimate of prescription costs. So far it has been very accurate and helpful. I estimate we will have paid around $28k when complete with one cycle (including ICSI, PGS testing, etc).
+ Read more- Read less

I feel I was treated like a human due to the time and effort she [Dr. Akopians] and her staff [SCRC] has taken to help me through the process. I work in the medical field and I tend to ask many questions. ... She provided me with data and additional process facts that helped educate and reassure me. She gave me a sense of comfort due to her communication, reassurance, empathy and her confidence.
They [SCRC] should improve their check out process were you typically pay your fees. More privacy should be created for this check out process. The semen collection rooms are near public areas were there is a lot of traffic. They are currently expanding to make more rooms and allow more privacy and quiet environment outside the semen collection rooms
Dr. Akopians quickly assessed my anxiety and need for control at the beginning of my IVF process. She took time to explain each detail. She wrote steps down for me so I could focus on listening but also having note to reference later. I pride myself in being organized and detail oriented so her notes were wonderful for me. She was patient with all my questions that constantly diverted the conversation. She provided me with data and additional process facts that helped educate and reassure me. She gave me a sense of comfort due to her communication, reassurance, empathy and her confidence. Her ability to make me feel at ease and confident in her abilities has been essential.
She is accessible in person if you like that type constant interaction. If you’re like me I didn’t see her in person very often but I spoke with her over phone calls which worked well with my lifestyle.
I feel I was treated like a human due to the time and effort she and her staff has taken to help me through the process. I work in the medical field and I tend to ask many questions. The communication that Dr. Akopians and her staff have provided me has exceeded my expectations. They have provided me with the quality time I have needed to go through each step.
Due to the know low sperm count and motility my husband had she had him take medication to increase his quantity and motility. Due to all our infectious disease labs being expired we had to re do them. We had sperm frozen in another facility. Dr. Akopians asked us to transfer it to her facility as backup for our process. Due to our sperm ICSI was recommended and used. Due to our sperm it was recommended to use an embryo scope to reduce the amount of times the embryos are manipulated to give them a higher chance to do well. We used the embryo scope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia Fletcher)
I absolutely love the nurse assigned to me. As I’ve mentioned I ask a lot of questions. I like to know all my facts and opinions. I would email the nurse daily or even multiple times a day. I felt bad for emailing and calling so often but she reassured me that that is why she was there to help. She is extremely caring and reassuring. Her patients to walk me through all my injections questions and nervous was incredible.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
There are always a lot of patients but they have a fast well organized process that gets all patients in and out in a timely organized manner. They should improve their check out process were you typically pay your fees. More privacy should be created for this check out process. The semen collection rooms are near public areas were there is a lot of traffic. They are currently expanding to make more rooms and allow more privacy and quiet environment outside the semen collection rooms
Consultation $275. Transvaginal US $230. Labs:Assay of Estradiol $85, FSH $85, Lh $85, assay thyroid stim hormone $85, venipuncture $30. Embryo freeze all: Cycle management fee $715, monitoring $3140, retrieval $2440. Frozen Embryo transfer: cycle management fee $715, monitoring $1590, embryo transfer $1065. Had to pay other fees for the surgery center and for the cryobank facility.
Describe Alin Lina Akopians's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Southern California Reproductive Center.
Due to our specific scenario and factors only one embryo will be transferred. Dr. Akopians made it sound like all other scenarios also only one embryo is encouraged to increase the transplant success rate. Ever couples scenario is unique.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Alin Lina Akopians at Southern California Reproductive Center.

2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I wanted a doctor who was going to coddle me enough but also treat me with respect during this hard time. Dr. Akopains was a lot of that and more. She is incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gentle but stern when necessary...I love everything about her. I was so sad to graduate...Omintrope 25 cc - for egg quality...Mock ERA cycle - to up my odds for an embryo to stick during transfer. Saline ultrasound Transfer cycle: Birth control. Lupron injections. Estrace orally Endometrin Medrol Progesterone in oil 1ML
SCRC is LARGE! Sometimes it is hard to not feel a little lost. With Surrey's team, I felt like a number. With Dr. Akopains team, because of the care and one on one time spent, I felt cared for. However, SCRC is one of the best for the reason. All the techs, embryologists, etc. were great...SHE [nurse] WAS THE BEST!!!! So caring, kind, compassionate, personable, educated, helpful...During my time with Dr. Surrey...the nurse gave me the wrong information about my embryo results after the genetic testing. She read the results wrong and gave them to me directly . Surrey called to correct them later.
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I came from working with Dr. Surrey who had the worse bed side manner. I wanted a doctor who was going to coddle me enough but also treat me with respect during this hard time. Dr. Akopains was a lot of that and more. She is incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gentle but stern when necessary...I love everything about her. I was so sad to graduate.
Ask questions...she will answer it all!
I came from working with Dr. Surrey who treated me like a number. Dr. Akopains was incredible, hands on, explained everything/broke everything down, incredibly kind, patient, caring, gently but stern when necessary...I love everything about her.
IVF egg retrieval: Birth control. Followed by: Gonal F 200 units Menopur 75 units Omintrope 25 cc - for egg quality Cetrotide Trigger shot (don't recall the name) Mock ERA cycle - to up my odds for an embryo to stick during transfer. Saline ultrasound Transfer cycle: Birth control. Lupron injections. Estrace orally Endometrin Medrol Progesterone in oil 1ML
SHE WAS THE BEST!!!! So caring, kind, compassionate, personable, educated, helpful.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
Insurance did not cover anything. I do not know the exact number but it was somewhere between $20-25k including freezing, genetic testing, procedures, medications, etc.
We did the mock ERA cycle for this reason. I did not have many embryos and we did not want to take the risk of losing any.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Akopian and I sat for over and hour and never in that time did I feel she was rushing through the conversation. She gave me a run down of our options ( at that point ) drew illustrations for me to better understand and made me feel hopeful again. ... She personally called me to give me my results after each test I have had up to date ( US readings, Blood test, Genetics, etc) I never had to chase her down or wait long for my results, Dr. Akopian was on top of it.
A financial advisor [Southern California Repro Center] is present to assist in the payment options ... Julia is such the sweetest nurse I have come across. She was so warm, friendly and on top of everything. She was the first one I came in contact, she could tell I was nervous ( I was alone) she walked me through a bit, made sure I was comfortable. ... The office staff is genuine and nice as well. I been bragging about this office since I first stepped into it. 5 stars all around!
She is genuinely warm and compassionate. She explains everything in great detail. She personally called me to give me my results after each test I have had up to date ( US readings, Blood test, Genetics, etc) I never had to chase her down or wait long for my results, Dr. Akopian was on top of it.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. She has answers and is more then willing to educate.
My husband and I are really early in the whole process of IVF. We have been trying for almost 4 years. After our primary doctors lead us down the wrong paths I decided to reach out to SCRC in Beverly Hills. First visit Dr. Akopian and her nurse Julia were so warm and explained every detail to me. Dr. Akopian and I sat for over and hour and never in that time did I feel she was rushing through the conversation. She gave me a run down of our options ( at that point ) drew illustrations for me to better understand and made me feel hopeful again.Her Nurse Julia is a total sweetheart and kept up with my weekly to make sure I was getting the proper care for my husband who was seeing the wrong Urologist for 2 years (Recommended by his primary for fertility), Dr. Akopian and Julia (RN) also helped us find him a proper urologist who specializes in fertility for men( whom my husband fell in love with after the first visit). The office staff is genuine and nice as well. I been bragging about this office since I first stepped into it. 5 stars all around!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia)
Julia is such the sweetest nurse I have come across. She was so warm, friendly and on top of everything. She was the first one I came in contact, she could tell I was nervous ( I was alone) she walked me through a bit, made sure I was comfortable. By the time Dr. Akopian came in she and I were joking about something none related which helped me to relax
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
There are 2 different offices on the floor exiting the elevator I was a bit confused. It’s an open concept. That’s about it, front office staff is nice, helpful and willing to answer basic questions and info
I personally paid out of pocket. Insurance covers some portions. A financial advisor is present to assist in the payment options

2019 - 2020
All calls had to be routed through her [Dr. Akopians] staff. Even though fertility treatments are time-sensitive, she would not respect my time. I was routinely kept waiting for IUI procedures, which take less than 5 minutes to do. One time, I waited 2 hours past my scheduled IUI procedure report time. There was no explanation as to why that occurred. She seemed uninterested in taking the time to diagnose me or find out why the IUIs were not working (maybe due to her truancy). She tried to steer me to a different path, one that cost significantly more money, and was not attentive to my care.
When I had my IUI, she [the nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center] forgot to order the sperm be transferred to the lab, resulting in an hour and a half delay. She forgot to put in my prescription for progesterone to the pharmacy...Schedules and timing were missed or not communicated. I received conflicting information from my doctor which I think impacted my care and my results. The nursing staff is overwhelmed, overworked, rude, or all three. The likelihood of results was not explained to me, nor was I given any explanation as to what to expect. Statistics and percentages are skewed, perhaps with the intention of giving false hope.
2019 - 2020
She seemed focused on my age. We discussed IVF, but she did not want to proceed. When the IUIs did not work out, she did not adjust my treatment, she just kept recommending IUIs. When, at her suggestion, I decided to use donor eggs, only one usable embryo was obtained. Dr. Akopians was cavalier in her delivery and attitude. I asked her why a 25-year old donor was only producing 1 usable embryo, and she said, "Sometimes, that happens." Well, it shouldn't happen when you're charging $15,000 for an unusable egg lot. It also goes against everything she told me with regard to the link between maternal age and usable eggs. If a young woman is producing good-quality eggs, then we should have more than 1 usable embryo.
Look for another doctor. She misrepresents data and does bot communicate with her patients in a timely, trustworthy, or direct manner.
I could never get in touch with her. All calls had to be routed through her staff. Even though fertility treatments are time-sensitive, she would not respect my time. I was routinely kept waiting for IUI procedures, which take less than 5 minutes to do. One time, I waited 2 hours past my scheduled IUI procedure report time. There was no explanation as to why that occurred. She seemed uninterested in taking the time to diagnose me or find out why the IUIs were not working (maybe due to her truancy). She tried to steer me to a different path, one that cost significantly more money, and was not attentive to my care.
I went to her to undergo IVF. She said that we could try. Even though I had a low ovarian reserve, she started me on birth control (I was told by another doctor this is the exact opposite course of treatment one would take for a woman with low ovarian reserve). No surprise, I only had 2 follicles grow when I started the medication. She then told me that she would not do the IVF because she needed at least 4 follicles to "make it worthwhile." We then opted to do IUI. She had me take FSH, which is unnecessary in a "natural" cycle, as you only need 1 good egg, not multiples. That did not work out, so she recommended I go with dobir eggs, which I did. I had to take out a loan to get the eggs, and chose a healthy, 25-year old female. The paperwork they have you sign indicates you are only guaranteed one blastocyst, not a euploid embryo, which means, in layman's terms, you'll get at least 1 embryo, not a chromosomally-normal embryo, not a usable embryo. Thus, you could get an entire egg lot with no usable embryos. She never explained this to me. I had to figure it out on my own. The healthy, 25-year old donor only produced 1 chromosomally-normal embryo. That means out of the 7 eggs, only 14% were normal, a far cry from what Dr. Akopians told me and no relevant nexus between the science and the results. She then recommended an ERA, which added on $2,740 to the costs. An ERA has not been tested significantly, and has not been shown to yield higher success rates in pregnancy. I feel that Dr. Akopians is not motivated by her success in getting patients pregnant, but rather on how much money they will spend in doing so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Southern California Reproductive Center. (Assigned nurse: Julia )
Julia is nice enough, but in addition to being nice, you also need to be competent. Sahar was the first nurse I dealt with, and she seemed to know what she was doing. Sahar left mysteriously, with no explanation given as to her absence. No one told me she left. When I called to schedule, I was told I would now be dealing with Julia. Julia forgets things. For instance, when I had bloidwork, she forgot to tell me I had to fast, so the phlebotomist was none too happy, and informed me that if the test came back abnormal, I'd have to do it again. When I had my IUI, she forgot to order the sperm be transferred to the lab, resulting in an hour and a half delay. She forgot to put in my prescription for progesterone to the pharmacy. Progesterone is needed for a baby to grow.
Describe your experience with Southern California Reproductive Center.
SCRC is a hotbed of incompetence. The staff all seemed stressed or overwhelmed and you can never get a straight answer our of them. They tried to charge me for procedures when I had credits pending on my account. You have to remind them of everything. When you do remind them, they get defensive, and reply in a hostile manner. They don't give you updates on care or how long you'll be waiting. One particularly frustrated nurse informed me that they usually only have one nurse, one lab tech, and one receptionist handling patients for 5 doctors. With a skeleton crew, things are going to get missed. They're going to get overlooked. People are no longer people. They are just numbers.
Strangely, even though my insurance provides for ultrasounds, they charged me for each and every one. Same goes for bloodwork. My insurance does not provide for fertility treatments, so I had to pay for that. IUIs were incorrectly charged. At one point, I was charged $345, another point, $270. Ironically, even though the IUIs are a medical procedure m, they cost less than the ultrasounds and bloodwork, which can be performed by any nurse. Costs associated with donor egg and FET: $15,000 for donor eggs (no guarantees) $15,000 for egg thaw, insemination, testing, ERA, and FET.
For me, this was inapplicable, as I only had one usable embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Southern California Reproductive Center?
As I mentioned before, this clinic is borderline incompetent. Schedules and timing were missed or not communicated. I received conflicting information from my doctor which I think impacted my care and my results. The nursing staff is overwhelmed, overworked, rude, or all three. The likelihood of results was not explained to me, nor was I given any explanation as to what to expect. Statistics and percentages are skewed, perhaps with the intention of giving false hope.
+ Read more- Read less

I absolutely loved Dr. Akopians! She’s caring and so knowledgeable, and went the extra mile for me to ensure that I was fully informed about certain procedures that needed to take place. She answered all my questions and spent a crucial amount of time with me making me feel that I was comfortable throughout the whole experience...has by far been the most compassionate doctor I have ever met. She has incredible bed aide manner and presented to me clearly all the information I needed to hear about egg retrieval for freezing my eggs for the future.
[Staff at Southern California Reproductive Center is] Very kind and informative just like Dr. Akopians. Best staff ever...Front desk staff was very welcoming and greeted everyone with a kind smile on their face. They were organized, prompt and I only waited for a short amount of time. The office was well maintained, and clean...I absolutely loved Dr. Akopians! She’s caring and so knowledgeable, and went the extra mile for me to ensure that I was fully informed about certain procedures that needed to take place. She answered all my questions and spent a crucial amount of time with me making me feel that I was comfortable throughout the whole experience.
Don’t be scared or nervous!
Dr. Akopians has by far been the most compassionate doctor I have ever met. She has incredible bed aide manner and presented to me clearly all the information I needed to hear about egg retrieval for freezing my eggs for the future.
Very kind and informative just like Dr. Akopians. Best staff ever