6.3

Lone Tree
10107 RidgeGate Parkway #300
Lone Tree, CO 80124
303-586-6598

Dr. O strongly believes in a single transfer. She is open to a 2-embryo transfer in my case now with so many failed attempts, but still STRONGLY prefers a single transfer approach...She is very straight-forward and to-the-point. She is up on her research, able to cite the latest studies when giving her plan for the best course of action. She’s not warm and fuzzy though, at all. When I had a miscarriage she didn’t call or email to reach out, we didn’t hear anything from her until our follow-up almost a month later. I appreciate her honesty, but in the world of infertility a little compassion goes a long ways
A full IVF cycle [at Conceptions Reproductive Associates] including all lab work, ultrasounds, retrieval, embryo testing, and 1 frozen transfer was around $19,000...19 eggs were retrieved, 16 fertilized, 11 made it to day 5 for PGS testing and freeze...You are assigned a nurse at the beginning during any preliminary testing and for paperwork. When that’s all completed and you’re ready for an IVF cycle, you are assigned a nurse who is in charge of all communication and questions for your cycle. Then you are assigned a nurse who only does frozen embryo transfers who handles all your scheduling and questions and communication during that step. Conceptions has their nursing staff well-allocated and stream-lined for a great experience
How was your experience with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
Dr. O is highly skilled and extremely knowledgeable. She is very straight-forward and to-the-point. She is up on her research, able to cite the latest studies when giving her plan for the best course of action. She’s not warm and fuzzy though, at all. When I had a miscarriage she didn’t call or email to reach out, we didn’t hear anything from her until our follow-up almost a month later. I appreciate her honesty, but in the world of infertility a little compassion goes a long ways. I don’t think she’s mean or rude, nothing like that, but she just feels cold.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Althea O'Shaughnessy at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
She’s from New York. She has the brusque abruptness that I’ve heard New Yorkers often have lol. She’s a great doctor though, knows her stuff and gets things done efficiently.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
Dr. O doesn’t know specifics about me until the start of our appt when she’s going through her notes. I know she sees a ton of patients, so I don’t expect her to remember personal things of course, but it would help me to feel less like another number
Describe the protocols Althea O'Shaughnessy used in your cycles at Conceptions Reproductive Associates and their degree of success.
During the IVF cycle, I had an antagonist protocol with omnitrope. I did 1 vial menopur and 300 gonal-f pretty consistently. I had a lab draw and ultrasound on days 2 and 6, then daily on cycle days 7-13. 19 eggs were retrieved, 16 fertilized, 11 made it to day 5 for PGS testing and freeze, 8 embryos passed the testing. Dr. O saw on hysteeosalpingogram that my tubes were hyrdrosalpinxed and they were removed, then I had a frozen embryo transfer 2 months later. It resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We had another transfer a couple months later that was positive, and I miscarried at 6 weeks for unknown reason. Repeated hysteroscopy and some blood work, and ready to try another transfer in 2 months
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erika Peksens for IVF, Jessica Rico for frozen transfers)
The nursing staff at Conceptions is amazing. You are assigned a nurse at the beginning during any preliminary testing and for paperwork. When that’s all completed and you’re ready for an IVF cycle, you are assigned a nurse who is in charge of all communication and questions for your cycle. Then you are assigned a nurse who only does frozen embryo transfers who handles all your scheduling and questions and communication during that step. Conceptions has their nursing staff well-allocated and stream-lined for a great experience
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
This clinic is very success-driven. They follow the latest research, and they are involved in outreach and advocating for fertility. They are very organized, friendly, and welcoming. The offices and waiting areas feel very comfortable and supportive. You really feel like you are at the best clinic in the country the whole time, from start to finish
Describe the costs associated with your care under Althea O'Shaughnessy at Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
A full IVF cycle including all lab work, ultrasounds, retrieval, embryo testing, and 1 frozen transfer was around $19,000. Each subsequent frozen transfer is $5,000
Describe Althea O'Shaughnessy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Littleton

[Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] has been direct and to the point, but also has a caring and loving disposition. She truly wants us to succeed in getting pregnant the first time...communicated very clearly and efficiently stated all the steps we need to take...sure to keep in contact with us regarding our egg donor...With my age in consideration, we are only doing a single transfer, which is what the clinic suggests.
We chose[ Conceptions Reproductive Associates] because of their incredible success rates. Every single person I’ve come into contact with has been overly helpful. Any question I have is answered quickly and in a kind and loving manner...quick to get me in and despite being a very busy clinic...sure to keep in contact with us regarding our egg donor...emailing with my nurse daily and she gets right back to me. She had been amazing at helping to ease my fears.
Dr. O’Shaughnessy is very honest. I like that. It may not be for everyone, but I’m a patient here because I want to be a mom. Her honestly and directness is refreshing and I appreciate it. She truly wants her patients to succeed.
Be ready for her to give it to you straight and listen to her. She knows what she’s doing and wants you to succeed the first time.
I have really enjoyed working with Dr. O’Shaughnessy. She has been direct and to the point, but also has a caring and loving disposition. She truly wants us to succeed in getting pregnant the first time. She has communicated very clearly and efficiently stated all the steps we need to take. I feel like her approach is reassuring and have no doubt that we will be meeting our baby very soon. In addition, the team at Conceptions is truly wonderful. Everyone we have encountered has been so helpful, caring and kind.
So far, I’ve done quite a bit of testing. Bloodwork, sonograms and uterine testing. I’m now on a birth control pill. I will soon take progesterone and lupron prior to my transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Stacey)
I’ve been emailing with my nurse daily and she gets right back to me. She had been amazing at helping to ease my fears. She has wonderful communication skills.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
We chose this clinic because of their incredible success rates. Every single person I’ve come into contact with has been overly helpful. Any question I have is answered quickly and in a kind and loving manner. They were quick to get me in and despite being a very busy clinic. They were very sure to keep in contact with us regarding our egg donor. The nurses are great communicators. Thank you Conceptions!
With the donor cycle, it’s been around 25k. We were told at a previous clinic that it would be closer to 60k, which would have been out of reach for us.
Littleton

[Dr. O'Shaughnessy] was professional but very cold and did not clearly explain "our problem" to us...The doctor never explained to me that my damaged tubes could be the problem. I had to google what this meant including what AMH, FSH, etc meant. At our final consultation, the doctor couldn't tell us why the IUIs didn't work and pushed us towards IVF...
She [Conceptions Reproductive Associates nurse] knew who I was when I emailed and called. I would have considered her a "friend" during that time...For each IUI, medications, appointments, and the procedure cost about $1,000 each. There were preceding appointments that cost a couple hundred and the followup with her which cost $150. Medications were probably about $100 each. In total, we spent $4,000-5,000.
The doctor was professional but very cold and did not clearly explain "our problem" to us. I was constantly trying to figure out what was "wrong" with me and looking up information on the internet to fill in the gaps. I was 5 days late for my period once and was trying to figure out what that meant because pregnancy tests were negative. I could not talk to the doctor about this, only the nurse, who said "you could be pregnant or your period is late". Turns out I was late due to the progesterone, none of which was explained to me as a possible side effect, I googled this possibility on the internet. Also I had some drainage in my tubes shown during the HSG. I did not know what this meant and no one explained it to me despite asking multiple times. I was always skeptical about the IUIs and whether they would work due to damage in my tubes. They didn't work. The doctor never explained to me that my damaged tubes could be the problem. I had to google what this meant including what AMH, FSH, etc meant. At our final consultation, the doctor couldn't tell us why the IUIs didn't work and pushed us towards IVF. She could not tell us what our odds were in it being successful other than the clinic statistics. This was not individualized for us. We were just a number and got a $150 bill for a 15 minute final conversation that told us nothing other than the fact that we now needed to spend more money to try to get pregnant.
To ask for another doctor. She is not very warm. She does not explain the statistics. She does not help you understand the problem. She does not answer questions. She is not present other than your initial consultation and your final consultation. You are just a number that pays her money.
We never interacted with the doctor very much at all. We talked with her during the initial consultation and then during the final consultation to discuss next steps after the IUIs failed. The doctor did not perform our IUIs, a nurse did. When we had questions, we could not email or call the doctor directly, we emailed or called the nurse. I do not feel like she knew us at all, only the data that was presented to her.
First IUI, I was given clomid. I had horrible side effects like cramping and was in bed the whole day. My lining was borderline for going through with a cycle and only one follicle matured. I ovulate naturally so likely the clomid did nothing. Even with that, I was given clomid once again for my second IUI. Cramping was worse this time. My lining was worse. I was given estradiol to thicken my lining, who knows if it worked but the IUI didn't. Only one follicle again matured. Third and final IUI I was switched to letrozole. I had no side effects and felt great. My lining was great. I had two follicles mature. Still the IUI failed, but the fact that she didn't immediately switch me to letrozole after the first IUI is concerning.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erin Mattison)
Erin was a fabulous nurse. Although she was limited by the amount information she knew about infertility, she was very caring and responsive. I called her once for 30 minutes to try to figure out my results. She was trying to figure them out with me. Although her lack of knowledge of the infertility process was concerning, it was so nice to have someone to talk to. She knew who I was when I emailed and called. I would have considered her a "friend" during that time. One time I had to call the on-call nurse for a prescription that had run out after hours. I do not remember her name but she called me back right away and was so helpful. I was able to get the prescription in time. I have nothing but positive things to say about the nursing staff at Conceptions.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Conceptions was "OK". They were recommended to me by my OBGYN when I was very new and naive about the process. If I had known more or even knew that I had to do research about fertility clinics, I would have gone elsewhere. They have a few clinics in the Denver metro area. The clinics outside Denver are the only ones open on the weekend. We live in Denver proper. Two of our IUIs happened on the weekend and it was very inconvenient to have to drive 30 minutes outside Denver on a Saturday morning. With that said, at least they had weekend options. They always fit me in, they worked with insurance (which for me didn't cover much), they had a cash option, they always answered the phone, they didn't close during snowstorms, the finance/billing staff was very helpful, and I never waited more than 15 minutes. They did lose the results of my antral follicle count test due to the machine malfunction. Good thing I remembered the results because no one else did. They were never even added to my patient portal. They also never redid the test for free. That was concerning. I would have gone elsewhere because now I know the questions to ask, whereas in the beginning I was flying blind.
No, I didn't do IVF.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
One major problem I had in the very beginning was that they were not clear about the cost of the genetic testing. They did say there would be a fee, but when I got a bill for $12,000 from Natura, I was floored. I cried and had a panic attack. I called the nurse and she said she would call the Natura rep to sort this out. I had a back and forth with their finance department for weeks trying to figure this out. They ended up knocking the bill down so I only paid 20% or so, but they can't possibly do this for every patient. Another thing, they lost the results of my antral follicle count test due to a machine malfunction. Good thing I remembered the results because no one else did. They were never even added to my patient portal. They also never redid the test for free. That was concerning. Also the results of my HSG were inconclusive. They said there was "leakage" but weren't totally sure of the severity. They said I might have had endometriosis, but never clarified. It seems like these two tests should have been re-done due to their error but they did not schedule them again.
Denver

[Dr. O’Shaughnessy] didn't listen to our questions or concerns and rather lectured us on how it would/should be... Her answers were all along the line of "don't worry, it will work!" Well, it didn't and not only were we devastated, we didn't know what was next...I mentioned to her that a procedure I had just had was terribly painful and maybe they should look at options to make patients more comfortable. Her response was that there was nothing they could do... She made condescending remarks to my husband and myself after we had asked her to clarify dosing protocols since she wasn't making any sense.
Often, they [nurses at Conceptions Reproductive Associates] are not well educated on your case and sometimes they even forget about you...There is no follow up from the staff after procedures to see how you are doing (retrievals, etc.) - It is difficult to actually reach your nurse as all instructions say to call the nurse line but the automated message says they'll return your message in 24-48 hours...I also struggled to get clear documentation of what we paid for from the billing department. On top of that, the billing team can't answer medical questions and the nurses/doctors won't answer billing questions so you're stuck without a knowledgable resource.
Hands down, the most insane moment we had with Dr. O'Shaughnessy was when she flat out refused to answer my question of "if this transfer doesn't work, what is the next course of action?" I asked three times and by the third, it got awkward and I finally let it go. Her answers were all along the line of "don't worry, it will work!" Well, it didn't and not only were we devastated, we didn't know what was next. Another time, I mentioned to her that a procedure I had just had was terribly painful and maybe they should look at options to make patients more comfortable. Her response was that there was nothing they could do. Upon switching physicians at the same clinic, I learned there was a LOT they could do to make it a more pleasant experience and, frankly, it was for me when I had to have the procedure again. We only met with her twice during the entire treatment plan. Both times, we found ourselves apologizing for taking up her time as she seemed annoyed that we were in her office. Only after did we realized how messed up that is! Lastly, I've read feedback that she is condescending to her patients and I would 100% agree with that. She made condescending remarks to my husband and myself after we had asked her to clarify dosing protocols since she wasn't making any sense.
Don't be a patient of hers! This process is too expensive, stressful and demanding to be seen by a bad doctor.
One of the biggest concerns I had with Dr. O'Shaughnessy was that she didn't listen to our questions or concerns and rather lectured us on how it would/should be.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erika)
My nurse, Erika, was great. However, my biggest concerns are with the nursing staff as a whole. Frankly, I don't know who runs that team but they do a TERRIBLE job. Honestly, I haven't been able to figure out if the nurses are incompetent or if the practice management is to blame and the nurses are working for a broken system. A few highlights: - When your nurse is out of town you're handed off to the nurse on-call for that day. Often, they are not well educated on your case and sometimes they even forget about you. - There is no follow up from the staff after procedures to see how you are doing (retrievals, etc.) - It is difficult to actually reach your nurse as all instructions say to call the nurse line but the automated message says they'll return your message in 24-48 hours. - Drug protocol worksheets were the most confusing things I've ever seen in my life. Hands down. - Welcome packets were confusing, duplicative and generic (with lots of typos). - Handoffs from one nursing team to the next as you advanced through the process was awful. I, for one, was forgotten about. Simply put, while the staff at Conceptions is very nice, the process is so complicated and disorganized that it far outshines any other positive experience you may have.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
As I mentioned earlier, the management in charge of this clinic are absolutely terrible. Not only is the nursing staff in disarray, but there is very little cross-departmental knowledge between nursing and billing and the marketing team is tone deaf. For example, EVERY TIME I walked into their office, I was reminded of their success rate statistics. This included when I was meeting to discuss transfer protocols and even during a class where we learned how to inject medication. I was already a paying patient and I was still getting sold! Also, they have newspaper clips all around their offices but what most people don't realize is that those are paid ads, not editorial coverage. How pathetic. I also struggled to get clear documentation of what we paid for from the billing department. On top of that, the billing team can't answer medical questions and the nurses/doctors won't answer billing questions so you're stuck without a knowledgable resource.
Dr. O recommended a single transfer for me based on my size and that it was our first transfer. There was no reason to doubt this course of action and we were in full support/alignment.

2019, Consult
Dr. O'Shaughnessy is very blunt and also very smart. That side of her is much appreciated. What's not appreciated is her lack of bedside manner and what seems to be lack of understanding. I went into the appointment very excited and with a list of questions. Her immediate personality turned me away from wanting to ask any of those questions...she made me feel as though my question was dumb... didn't feel like I got everything I needed out of the consultation when I was looking for a fresh start.
The clinic [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] is great! The receptionists are super helpful and have wonderful energy which you need when you're going through infertility. The clinic itself is clean and everything is in one place (Littleton office)...I have reached out to my nurse on several occasions and have not heard back either at all or after days. In addition, I feel like I have had conflicting answers which could cost us time and time is everything with this process...
As mentioned previously, Dr. O'Shaughnessy is very blunt and also very smart. That side of her is much appreciated. What's not appreciated is her lack of bedside manner and what seems to be lack of understanding. I went into the appointment very excited and with a list of questions. Her immediate personality turned me away from wanting to ask any of those questions. In fact, when I did ask some questions, she made me feel as though my question was dumb, hence why I didn't continue asking questions and therefore, didn't feel like I got everything I needed out of the consultation when I was looking for a fresh start.
Despite the lack of bedside manner, don't hesitate to be you, and get your answers—you deserve it and if Dr. O'Shaughnessy isn't for you, then move on.
Dr. O'Shaughnessy didn't seem to listen to us as much as be extremely blunt and direct with our options. While we appreciate the bluntness and the not beating around the bush, it would be nice to feel the human emotion.
I have only gone in for my first consultation and I am currently finishing up diagnostic testing. She has wanted to test my blood levels of many different tests as well as run an HSG test on me. My previously sonohysterogram showed a focal adhesion or polyp, she reviewed the test itself (ultrasound video), and immediately said "that has to be removed". I went in for the HSG and the HSG test showed that everything was normal—no adhesions or polyps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
I have not had many experiences with this nurse but it seems that every time I have a question, I am directed to email her and she is out of the office that day or moved to part-time.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The clinic is great! The receptionists are super helpful and have wonderful energy which you need when you're going through infertility. The clinic itself is clean and everything is in one place (Littleton office).
Unfortunately too early to tell. So far, I've had $40 copays with my insurance for 1. ultrasound and 2. HSG test
Littleton

[Dr. O'Shaughnessy] is wonderful with providing the hard facts but still making you feel like she cares. She has been so patient with my husband and I and the long list of questions we've had at every visit. At times when I've been upset, she has shown compassion. And at times when we've needed it, she hasn't sugar coated the details. I've always felt like I was in expert hands at each visit. And at every visit, she always makes sure I have her contact information and take a business card, just in case we have more questions or need anything. Are there maybe more personable Doctors out there, I'm sure there are. But she is a great balance and I respect that about her and would recommend her to anyone.
I never felt like a number [at Conceptions Reproductive Associates], always a patient that mattered to each and every person...Receptionists have been great, nurses have been great. There have been a few moments where I had additional questions that I felt like I should have been given the information on, but upon asking the question- i received the answer...they do not rush you into making a decision as I've experienced elsewhere. They give you the information and make sure you follow a process. Their pre-IVF class is fantastic in making sure you understand each and every step of the process and know what you are walking into. The fact that it is mandatory makes me trust them even more and know that they aren't in it for the money, they are in it to change lives and build families in the best way they can!
Dr. O is wonderful with providing the hard facts but still making you feel like she cares. She has been so patient with my husband and I and the long list of questions we've had at every visit. At times when I've been upset, she has shown compassion. And at times when we've needed it, she hasn't sugar coated the details. I've always felt like I was in expert hands at each visit. And at every visit, she always makes sure I have her contact information and take a business card, just in case we have more questions or need anything. Are there maybe more personable Doctors out there, I'm sure there are. But she is a great balance and I respect that about her and would recommend her to anyone.
Don't expect bubbly, sugar coated. Expect the facts, expect to be told the truth, and know that there will still be compassion when necessary. Ask any and all questions that come to mind, she will answer them thoroughly.
Dr. O has always made me feel like I got an honest, expert opinion every time I've seen her. She has informed my husband and I of the facts and made sure we left with all the information and all questions answered (and boy, did we have alot!). While she is a straight shooter, she also is compassionate. Upon finding out an existing endometrioma had tripled in size via ultrasound, I immediately started crying and she didn't let me leave the room without a big hug and reassurance that it didn't mean the end of anything. I felt cared for, informed, and confident that day and every visit since!
I am just at the beginning of our protocol (stims starts this week), but was told that we are approaching my protocol strong due to my age and endometriosis. I am on an Antagonist protocol which unfortunately, i don't understand but intend to ask my nurse tomorrow. Since being told this is our protocol, I have not seen Dr. O so I haven't not had the opportunity to understand the rationale, nor do i know the potential results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Dole)
At this point in my protocol, I have had more contact with my initial care coordinator than my primary IVF nurse. My initial care coordinator was difficult to get a hold of and i received responses sometimes 3-5 days after initial contact. I have had one phone call with my primary IVF nurse thus far. Her responsiveness to emails have been good, sometimes slightly delayed, but I have always gotten the answers I needed. So far she is great and time will tell as I get into stims. Everyone else I have dealt with has been lovely as well.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Conceptions has been a truly positive experience thus far, especially compared to a past clinic that we never moved forward with. I trust everyone that I have worked with and spoken to. I never felt like a number, always a patient that mattered to each and every person. I also have entered this process very realistically and know that no one is perfect. Receptionists have been great, nurses have been great. There have been a few moments where I had additional questions that I felt like I should have been given the information on, but upon asking the question- i received the answer. At the same time, they do not rush you into making a decision as I've experienced elsewhere. They give you the information and make sure you follow a process. Their pre-IVF class is fantastic in making sure you understand each and every step of the process and know what you are walking into. The fact that it is mandatory makes me trust them even more and know that they aren't in it for the money, they are in it to change lives and build families in the best way they can!
Thus far, we are expecting a total of just over $18,000 for our Conceptions care, plus medication.
Dr. O has communicated that due to my age, she only recommends single embryo transfer due to the impending risks of multiples. She explained the potential risks of 2 babies as well as the extreme risk of transferring 2 embryos and should those embryos split. My husband and I trust her opinion and expertise and will absolutely follow her recommendations.
Denver

She [Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] was very blunt and to the point, did not sugar coat anything and was a little cold coming off. However I did appreciate that as it is the kind of info I would rather have opposed to having someone beat around the bush...I wish I was feeling like the Doctor was more involved in the process...We literally met her 1 time...Estrogen priming cycle before start. High dose menopur 2 vials in the am with omnitrope 0.7ml for 9 days and high dose gonal f 450 in the pm. Cetrotide toward the end. Stimmed for 14 days total 7 follicles at my last us 8 eggs retrieved 7 mature 3 fertilized 2 look good still on day 3.
we paid a lot more then we had thought [at Conceptions Reproductive Associates]. I do feel like dealing with insurance coverage and getting credits was a bit difficult to figure out as we had several credits and I had to specifically ask and remind people about them...I really liked that you had a nurse assigned to contact at any time during the process. I wish I was feeling like the Doctor was more involved in the process however I never felt like they didnt know what they were doing.
She was very blunt and to the point, did not sugar coat anything and was a little cold coming off. However I did appreciate that as it is the kind of info I would rather have opposed to having someone beat around the bush.
Don’t be offended by her confidence and strait forwardness.
I wish the Dr seemed more in the process. We literally met her 1 time
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erika )
I didn’t always deal only with “ my” nurse seemed like she was my go to but i did meet with many of the IVF nurses during this process if Erika wasn’t available. They were all great and on the same page. Everyone knew about me so I didn’t have to explain or feel like I couldn’t trust something. I got lots of hugs and even a few tears. I felt very cared for!
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
I was lucky enough to have bits and pieces covered by insurance, but even with that we paid a lot more then we had thought. I do feel like dealing with insurance coverage and getting credits was a bit difficult to figure out as we had several credits and I had to specifically ask and remind people about them.
As far as I remember dr didn’t have a strong opinion either way. But we will only do 1 frozen when the time comes.

2018 - 2019, 7 Eggs Frozen
You should expect to be someone who has a basic knowledge of the egg freezing process as she [Dr. O'Shaughnessy] does not give an introductory overview of how your body functions and what the full process is like. Expect to be the one who initiates the questions to fully understand everything. ... Shew as very frank and forthcoming with me, and she took the time to see me when I didn't have an appointment. .... I would have liked to see her more before and during my treatment just to have her check in with me and reassure me on any of my hesitations or concerns.
Everyone [Conceptions Repro Assoc] was very friendly and warm. It seemed like most staff there knew and understood what you were going through. I would have liked a bit more explanation and communication from staff though so I knew exactly what to expect at every stage.... even as small as checking in upstairs for ultrasounds and downstairs for blood work. ... They also offered me a discount with my second round of egg freezing, and ordered my drugs from a different pharmacy that was providing the lowest costs.
I would have liked to see her more before and during my treatment just to have her check in with me and reassure me on any of my hesitations or concerns. I spoke directly with the nurses who were the middlemen for any questions I had.
You should expect to be someone who has a basic knowledge of the egg freezing process as she does not give an introductory overview of how your body functions and what the full process is like. Expect to be the one who initiates the questions to fully understand everything.
I am currently in my second round of egg freezing and the doctor recommended I do a short stint of estrogen before my cycle started. She wanted to try a new approach to get me to produce more eggs. It seems to be working so far as I am producing more eggs this round than my first round.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The nursing staff was wonderful. They answered all my questions and called me every day to give me instructions. The were able to calm my nerves and reassure me. As I am in my second round, the nurses have been more forthcoming with information regarding my progress (I.e. egg count, egg size, etc.), and I would have preferred to have had this information during my first round.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Everyone was very friendly and warm. It seemed like most staff there knew and understood what you were going through. I would have liked a bit more explanation and communication from staff though so I knew exactly what to expect at every stage.... even as small as checking in upstairs for ultrasounds and downstairs for blood work.
I only compared the costs of Conceptions with one other clinic and Conceptions was less expensive. They also offered me a discount with my second round of egg freezing, and ordered my drugs from a different pharmacy that was providing the lowest costs.
My doctor stressed to me the importance of doing a single embryo transfer as opposed to a multiple embryo transfer. I asked if it was still possible to do a multiple embryo transfer, and she responded that they really only encourage a single embryo transfer. When and if the time comes for me to do an embryo transfer, I believe I will request a multiple embryo transfer.
Denver

Dr. O [O'Shaughnessy] is very smart and that is apparent in the initial meeting with her. She has a lot of experience in her field. My husband and I appreciate this aspect of her and that she gives you information bluntly and will answer all your questions. The reason for my negative ranking is as follows: She is very opinionated, knows what she is thinks is best and wants to stick to that plan only. Some examples of scenarios where we disagreed and we were met with opposition are the following.
I love that if you call this clinic [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] (the Denver office) someone answers the phone and there is no automated messaging! It is so nice and refreshing. The facilities (Denver and Littleton) were both very nice and clean. My biggest frustrations had to do with the billing office. There was a scenario where they overcharged me for a HSG by $560 after months of waiting on the bill from my insurance.... My assigned nurse was very nice and seemed very organized. My main issues with the nursing staff came from when my nurse
Dr. O is very smart and that is apparent in the initial meeting with her. She has a lot of experience in her field. My husband and I appreciate this aspect of her and that she gives you information bluntly and will answer all your questions. The reason for my negative ranking is as follows: She is very opinionated, knows what she is thinks is best and wants to stick to that plan only. Some examples of scenarios where we disagreed and we were met with opposition are the following. 1. We denied karyotype genetic testing during our initial testing because as believers in Jesus we would not change our plans to try to conceive naturally or transfer an embryo based on a positive result of having a higher chance of having a child with multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, or other perceived "genetic abnormalities" (Dr. O was very aggressive in pushing back and challenging this decision and that there are options to test embryos so that we wouldn't have a child with CF - which entails testing an embryo and then throwing it away if it is positive with one of the "genetic abnormalities" 2. Similar to #1 we do not want to do PGS testing in a potential IVF round for similar reasons that relate to our strong beliefs about the value of life and Dr. O's views on this are very apparent from the beginning (She wants to create and transfer ONE genetically perfect embryo for highest chances of success) 3. She is very strict about only doing a frozen transfer and only transferring one embryo at a time (we would prefer to transfer 2 embryos at a time due to the desire to not do PGS testing and we do understand that there is a high likelihood that 50% of embryos will be abnormal and either miscarry or not implant altogether but we are committed to transferring all potential embryos at some point in our life). I mainly feel that my personal faith based beliefs are not respected by Dr. O. I do understand she has gone through a lot of education and is aware of all the statistics and best practices but as Christians I care about more than just the "best practice" and want to move forward in a way that honors what I know is true about the value and gift of life. I don't mind that she presents all the facts but I do wish we were treated differently with regards to our views. For all these reasons, I would caution my best friend of going to Dr. O due to her aggressive, and sometimes hostile nature, regarding anything that does not align with the "medical best practices" of genetic testing and selective embryo transfers. As previously mentioned, there was some confusion around if I was truly diagnosed with PCOS or not and I dot not understand why she wasn't blunt about this from the beginning like she is with all of her other information that she delivers.
Be prepared with a list of questions to ask her and be well researched. She really appreciated that I knew the language and had done preliminary research on testing and treatments. When she walks you through an IUI or IVF process she talks quickly and matter of factually so you could get lost in all the details if you haven't at least read about it or discussed it with someone before. Also you can be blunt back to her and hold your ground if you have strong opinion or convictions about any part of this process. I strongly recommend researching the moral and ethical implications that accompany certain fertility treatments so that you know what you are agreeing to.
Dr. O read our chart and knew our specific information, stats, etc., however, she was very concerned with best medical practice and putting us into a treatment routine. We fell outside the norm due to our convictions as Christians and we were challenged regularly such as genetic testing. In addition, there was a lack of directness about diagnosing me with PCOS. The first meeting after our testing she said I had similarities but not a diagnosis then later on the nurse told me I had PCOS. During our last meeting, I asked her pointedly and she finally confirmed that I did in fact have PCOS after skirting around the topic slightly.
My husband's SA came back with low morphology at 1% (everything else was great!) and he started using Theralogix's conception XR as prescribed. Dr. O recommended using Letrozole instead of Clomid for medicated IUIs because I have a high resting follicle count (later officially diagnosed as PCOS) and they believed I would easily hyper stimulate. IUI Cycle #1: 5 mg of Letrozole (or Femara), CD 12 sonogram - L ovary: 18 mm R ovary: 18 mm, triggered at 9:30 pm, IUI 36 hours later on CD 14, sperm (post wash): 34.7 million, motility 89%, prometrium CD 16 through pregnancy test 14 days post IUI. Negative pregnancy test. IUI Cycle #2: 5 mg of Letrozole (or Femara) CD 12 sonogram - L ovary: 16 mm, 15 mm. 12 mm R ovary: 22 mm, triggered at 9:30 pm, IUI 36 hours later on CD 14, sperm (post wash): 18.4 million, motility 88%, prometrium CD 16 through pregnancy test 14 days post IUI. Negative pregnancy test. IUI Cycle #3: 5 mg of Letrozole (or Femara) CD 11 sonogram - L ovary: 17 mm, 12 mm R ovary: 19 mm, 15mm and 13 mm triggered at 9:30 pm on CD12, IUI 36 hours later on CD 14, sperm (post wash): 25.8 million, motility 92%, prometrium CD 16 through pregnancy test 14 days post IUI. Negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
My assigned nurse was very nice and seemed very organized. My main issues with the nursing staff came from when my nurse (who works PT) was out of the office and I worked with Channing. She is very nice but not very organized. With my 1st IUI, Kelsey had preliminary told me that she would trigger me the day of my ultrasound if I had a follicle at 20 mm but she was out of the office the day of this ultrasound and Channing recommended I trigger that evening with two 18 mm follicles. In addition, my lining was slightly thin and no one mentioned this until after the cycle. After a failed 1st IUI, Kelsey said she would have done a few things differently and would have triggered me one day later and potentially put me on estrace to thicken my lining. Every cycle is so differnt so the next cycle I was put on estrace the day of my ultrasound but I had one follicle at 22 mm and my acupuncturist immediately thought that I should have done an IUI within 12-24 hours because I probably ovulated sooner, which was apparent because my pregnancy test date was 13 days post IUI. There were a few times I needed something and Kelsey was out of the office (she is PT) and Channing was supposed to call me back and either didn't or would at the very end of the day. I just felt like I was getting conflicting answers from the nurses or if Kelsey was out then I wasn't a priority to the other nurses. They are all very nice in conversation. There were several times where I took notes and had to remind them of certain things (like re-testing my husband's semen and vitamin D after taking supplements). It just felt like they weren't as detail oriented and these tests are expensive and very important to patients even if it is not IVF.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
I love that if you call this clinic (the Denver office) someone answers the phone and there is no automated messaging! It is so nice and refreshing. The facilities (Denver and Littleton) were both very nice and clean. My biggest frustrations had to do with the billing office. There was a scenario where they overcharged me for a HSG by $560 after months of waiting on the bill from my insurance. I wasn't able to make a new cycle appointment unless it was paid which I did reluctantly even though I told them I could see on my insurance side that I owed less than what they stated. After I sent my EOB after our phone call, I was told I had a credit on my account and I could either wait for the statement to cut once that month and get a check or use to pay future bills. I also just had a really hard time following their billing statements and the personnel I spoke with were often sassy or annoyed with me.
Initial fertility testing (with some insurance coverage): $1,100 Each IUI cycle: CD1-3 ultrasound and bloodwork (out of pocket): $402.16 Letrozole: $10 (with Good RX coupon) CD12 ultrasound (out of pocket): $167.20 Trigger shot: $92 (Mandell's specialty pharmacy) IUI (out of pocket): $353.76 Prometrium: $30ish (With Good RX coupon)
I have not decided yet if we will move forward with IVF at this clinic or at all, however, see previous comments regarding initial discussions regarding genetic testing and selective embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
I think I have previously mentioned the more severe issues that I experienced at this clinic.
Denver

My experience as a patient of Dr. O'Shaughnessy has not been ideal.... Dr. O'Shaughnessy is extremely blunt. From our very first meeting she seemed extremely annoyed with any questions that myself or my husband had. I felt like my previous treatment and diagnosis from my first fertility doctor in California, was brushed aside and my medical history didn't really matter to her. She made a comment during our consultation that alluded to do my PCOS diagnosis as false
The clinic [Conceptions- Littleton] strength is its nursing staff and coordinators. The phlebotomist are amazing. The receptionists are wonderful and prompt. The IVF Financial Consultants are extremely helpful. The weaknesses would be the billing department. It took us calling them five times for them to get back to us. I am not into the fact that there are ultrasound techs. I would prefer that my doctor be the one doing my ultrasounds because then they could immediately decide my course of action
My experience as a patient of Dr. O'Shaughnessy has not been ideal. The entire group / Clinic is very cold when it comes to their doctors. I feel like it's missing a personal element. I'm thinking about finding a new doctor.
I would go into any consultation or interaction with her knowing that it's going to be straight and to the point. There isn't really any comfort or hand-holding. Not a ton of compassion. She comes off just very direct and a little bit brass.
Dr. O'Shaughnessy is extremely blunt. From our very first meeting she seemed extremely annoyed with any questions that myself or my husband had. I felt like my previous treatment and diagnosis from my first fertility doctor in California, was brushed aside and my medical history didn't really matter to her. She made a comment during our consultation that alluded to do my PCOS diagnosis as false and that she didn't trust my first doctor's diagnosis and would be coming to her own conclusions. I have only seen her in person three times in almost a year.all of my correspondence regarding my treatment is done through a nurse. My ultrasounds are all done by an ultrasound tech. Dr. O'Shaughnessy immediately wanted to jump into IVF without trying any other options and I had to be the one to ask for other options first. When we last met with her she thought that I had asked if I could try another round of time to intercourse and slightly chuckled at that idea because she said my only options are IVF at this point. It just felt like we were in annoyance to her and she had better things you could be doing with her time.
after my consultation I did blood work and found out that I had a chemical pregnancy, it was not a result of anything to do with conceptions. They induced a menstrual cycle when my HCG levels dropped below 5, which means you're no longer pregnant. After that I did several rounds of timed intercourse with letrozole and clomid. During each of those Cycles I was on estrogen and prometrium. Everything was monitored via ultrasound. Trigger injections (ovidrel) were done it home. They all resulted in negative pregnancy tests. Dr. O'Shaughnessy wanted to try an IUI because my endometrial lining was so thin, but that never happened. We tried to grow my eggs with injectables instead of an oral medication and my eggs never grew past 9 mm, but my estrogen levels were through the roof so Dr. O'Shaughnessy said that it was unsafe to proceed or up the dosage of injectables because I would grow too many eggs at once and she wouldn't be able to trigger me. During the course of the injectables my lining was the perfect thickness. After that my husband and I took a 2 month break of trying and we regrouped was Dr. O'Shaughnessy and she suggested IVF. We have yet to pull the trigger on that because the cost is so high.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Ashley (monitoring nurse) and Sarah (IVF nurse) )
The nursing staff at conceptions Littleton is amazing. They've all shown compassion and understanding. They respond to phone calls and emails within a few hours or at least by the end of the day. They never hesitate to answer any questions and if they can't provide an immediate answer they reach out to the doctor. The nursing / ultrasound staff has been what has kept me at the clinic.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The clinic strength is its nursing staff and coordinators. The phlebotomist are amazing. The receptionists are wonderful and prompt. The IVF Financial Consultants are extremely helpful. The weaknesses would be the billing department. It took us calling them five times for them to get back to us. I am not into the fact that there are ultrasound techs. I would prefer that my doctor be the one doing my ultrasounds because then they could immediately decide my course of action instead of me needing to wait to hear from a nurse and then possibly having to start the next day because I usually need to go pick up a prescription. I just wish that the doctors were a little bit more Hands-On. it seems like the clinic is run on everybody but the doctors and the doctors can't be bothered with you unless you're going to be doing IVF.
My insurance only covers $1,200 of diagnostic tests. Everything else is Bill to insurance and then I am given a bill when I show up for my next appointment for it comes in the mail. Basically, we're paying for everything out of pocket. Insurance doesn't cover a whole lot. My average visit is $200 and sometimes that several times a week.
In our meeting where we discussed the possibility of IVF she told us that the clinic has a policy where they only transfer one embryo at a time. She said if I really really begged her she would consider putting in 2 embryos, but she would extremely advise against it because a multiple pregnancy is a high risk for mother and child and my health is the most important thing.
Littleton

My heart is very tender with the topic of infertility and her cold, factual, and transactional bedside manner makes it harder. I feel like I am just another case for her. ... Dr. O's [O'Shaughnessy] strategy is to share all of the information about the options with you and then let you choose what to do next, without a specific recommendation. It makes it feel like we have to figure it out all on our own.
The lab techs [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] are very friendly. The equipment is up to date... I know this because they were using a brand new ultrasound machine on me ... I received care from two coordinators. The first was a very poor communicator and over complicated all of the details for my next steps in treatment. The second coordinator was an excellent communicator and clearly outlined next steps.
Dr. O'Shaughnessey has proven success rates and is very knowledgeable. She knows her stuff and will communicate all of the options to you. However, she seems to treat every case as a factual puzzle to solve and struggles to show compassion for how emotionally difficult infertility can be. I feel like I am just another chart to look over and not a person with real-life broken dreams.
Check your heart at the door. Meetings with her are about the facts.
Dr. O's strategy is to share all of the information about the options with you and then let you choose what to do next, without a specific recommendation. It makes it feel like we have to figure it out all on our own.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember)
I received care from two coordinators. The first was a very poor communicator and over complicated all of the details for my next steps in treatment. The second coordinator was an excellent communicator and clearly outlined next steps. She showed compassion and made me feel like she was on my team.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The facility is very nice, conveniently located, and fully staffed. Everything you need is located in the same building. The lab techs are very friendly. The equipment is up to date... I know this because they were using a brand new ultrasound machine on me, with the ultrasound salesperson showing features to my caregiver during my procedure (they asked if this was okay with me first).
All diagnostics tests and medications were covered by insurance and I only had to provide co-pays.
Littleton

After my canceled cycle, [Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] basically did not have any alternative protocols to try, and wanted me to go directly to donor egg...The doctor did not seem to know me personally or to create an individualized protocol for me. Instead, I felt that I was treated like a number, and that the doctor expected me to have the same results as someone without DOR, when I now understand that she should have been aiming for very different results.
Strengths [at Conceptions Reproductive Associates] : Compassionate, knowledgeable nurses. Appointments easy to make, usually did not have to wait long (except to see doctor). Weaknesses: Communication; organization; did not like that finances were kept mostly secret, you had to leave a message with their business office and likely wouldn't hear back for a day; costs were communicated verbally, not in writing. They tried to charge me a $3,500 cycle cancellation fee when my cycle was canceled after 5 days of stimulation. I disputed this, and they only charged me for services used ($1,500, plus the $1k coordination fee). This seems like a very high cancellation fee.
I only met with the doctor during my initial consultation and then during my re-group after the canceled cycle. Every other appointment and call was with a nurse. Several times, I asked to speak with the doctor about her instructions, and instead received communications back from the nurse who said she had spoken with the doctor. Dr. O put me on a priming protocol that was questionable for someone with DOR (estrogen and birth control). I only had 2 follices during my AFC, and was put on a maximum (very expensive) dose of medications (450 follistim/150 menopur/.7 cc omnitrope). Even though I started with only 2 follicles, my cycle was canceled 5 days later due to not growing more than 2. This did not make sense to me, and wasted thousands of dollars on medications. After my canceled cycle, Dr. O basically did not have any alternative protocols to try, and wanted me to go directly to donor egg. I have since received second opinions that this suggestion makes no sense, given my relatively young age and the fact that someone with DOR should not be expected to produce a lot of eggs in the first place.
If you are in Denver, it is worth spending a bit more money to go to CCRM.
Primed with estrace for 7 days , starting 7 DPO. Birth control pill for 5 days to delay start of stimulation medications. 450 iu follistim, 150 iu menopur, and .7 cc omnitrop for 4 days; increased to 300 iu menopur on 5th day. Canceled after that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Evans)
Sarah was great! She showed great compassion and always responded to my questions. My only complaints have to do with weekends/scheduled days off. My first monitoring appointment was on a Saturday. I was told I would get a call with medication instructions by that afternoon, but didn't receive it. I finally called the after-hours number, and got a response from the on-call nurse a few hours later that I didn't need to adjust anything. She did not provide me any details on how my follicles or labs were looking. This seemed very disorganized. I also did not like that every assigned nurse is out of the office one weekday per week (plus weekends), so on those days my questions would not be answered until the next day. I'm not sure why the nurses do not work 5 days per week.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Strengths: Compassionate, knowledgeable nurses. Appointments easy to make, usually did not have to wait long (except to see doctor). Weaknesses: Communication; organization; did not like that finances were kept mostly secret, you had to leave a message with their business office and likely wouldn't hear back for a day; costs were communicated verbally, not in writing. They tried to charge me a $3,500 cycle cancellation fee when my cycle was canceled after 5 days of stimulation. I disputed this, and they only charged me for services used ($1,500, plus the $1k coordination fee). This seems like a very high cancellation fee.
Initial consult: $325 IVF coordination of care: $986 IVF with ICSI and PGS testing, including 1 FET: $17,354 (most of this was refunded due to canceled cycle) PGS for greater than 8 embryos: $250/extra embryo (did not actually incur this) Anesthesia: $400 (did not actually incur this) Mock transfer/hysteroscopy/doppler: $870 (did not actually incur this) Subsequent transfer: $5,100 (did not actually incur this) Additional rounds of IVF: $9,895 (including ICSI & PGS, but not transfer) (did not actually incur this) Drugs (paid to MDR pharmacy): $6,378.76 (this did not include all drugs, but cylce was canceled before ordering all) Cycle cancellation fee: $3,350 (did not actually incur this; instead, paid $1,475 for services rendered)
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
Results were not conveyed on first day of monitoring; had to call on-call nurse; call not returned for several hours, and information provided was incomplete.
Denver

I had a very bad experience at this location [Conceptions-Denver], but a great experience at Littleton and Lafayette. I was treated poorly from the front desk, to the nursing team to the doctor. The ultrasound tech would not allow me to look at my images when I was potentially having a miscarriage, the doctor laughed at me when I said I didn't want to stop meds and lose my pregnancy and just told me to go forward with IVF without any explanation as to why.
I had a very bad experience with Dr. O'Shaughnessy. I came to the clinic and opted to go to the Rose office for a quicker visit to see the doctor versus waiting for the clinic closer to me and another doctor. On our first visit, we were explained that we would have a lot of testing and come back to regroup with her. We had ultrasound, labs and a semen analysis. When we met with her to regroup, we were told "everything looks fine" and that my resting follicle count was over 20. Come to find out from seeing another doctor, all of this information was false, there was in fact something very wrong and my resting follicle wound was 7, not over 20. We did two IUI's with Dr. O'Shaughnessy and should have never even attempted this due to my lab results showing I have premature ovarian failure. I feel as though we were treated as a number, she was not compassionate and didn't care about her patients. I came in to my second followup after a miscarriage after an IUI and was absolutely hysterical and she just stared at me and got very angry when I asked for an ultrasound. It was overall a horrible experience and I do not recommend this doctor to anyone.
Don't see her unless you enjoy being treated poorly and essentially laughed at. There was no compassion when I was upset over a pregnancy loss, no explanation or further attempt, I felt as though she was simply after my money. Go see another doctor in her practice.
Dr. O'Shaughnessy treated my husband and I like a number. Our labs were never gone over with us thoroughly, we were never explained what was happening or what was going to happen in the future. She would throw her hands up, raise her eyebrows and said "I just don't know" every visit.
Two IUI's, one with Letrozole which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and another IUI with follistim which was negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Liz D)
Liz D was a wonderful nurse. Unfortunately during the middle of my IUI cycle, she was let go and nobody called me to let me know. I called the office asking for my results and was told she no longer worked there as of today. My care was sent to a different office to the "monitoring nurses" which was a complete nightmare all together.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
I would highly recommend visiting the Littleton or Lafayette office. The rose office did not treat me as I thought I should have been treated, from the front desk to the doctor, I was handed off and dismissed. Fertility is so stressful and so scary, we need reassurance that things are going the way they are supposed to be going and I absolutely did not receive that at the Rose location.
I had no contact with billing office at the Rose location.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
I had a very bad experience at this location, but a great experience at Littleton and Lafayette. I was treated poorly from the front desk, to the nursing team to the doctor. The ultrasound tech would not allow me to look at my images when I was potentially having a miscarriage, the doctor laughed at me when I said I didn't want to stop meds and lose my pregnancy and just told me to go forward with IVF without any explanation as to why.
Denver

She [Dr. O'Shaughnessy was caring, compassionate, and professional. She is a great communicator, easily reachable via email for questions/concerns. She performed every procedure and saw us for 99% of our visits.We felt like we were seen and heard and treated like individuals... I also tested for having elevated natural killer cells (NK) that could have been causing miscarriages so after the insemination I took steroids-- about 10mg/day of prednisone-- to help combat that.
Their [Sher] approach to patients is the best I've seen. There is no "cattle call" for morning check-ups (you always have an appointment), you aren't seen by any doctor on staff (you always see YOUR doctor), and you know that everyone there knows your unique situation and is working to help YOU...Incredibly friendly and upbeat [nurses]. They were such supporters of the whole process and felt like they were on our team!
How was your experience with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
She was caring, compassionate, and professional. She is a great communicator, easily reachable via email for questions/concerns. She performed every procedure and saw us for 99% of our visits.We felt like we were seen and heard and treated like individuals.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Speak up! Be your own advocate because she is more than happy to listen and follow your lead.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
At Sher you only ever see YOUR doctor and you always have an appointment. There are no "cattle calls" or long waits. Your doctor knows you, they work with you every day. Dr. O replied to emails quickly, never pressured us to try something we weren't comfortable with, and was a great combination of compassionate and professional. She treated us like an individual couple and prescribed a treatment plan specifically for us (unlike at another clinic where we felt like they had one thing they "do" and you were doing that thing that way regardless).
Describe the protocols Althea O'Shaughnessy used in your cycles at Sher Fertility Solutions New York and their degree of success.
We were IUI patients. I believe I took follistim and the ovidrel for a trigger shot. I also tested for having elevated natural killer cells (NK) that could have been causing miscarriages so after the insemination I took steroids-- about 10mg/day of prednisone-- to help combat that.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Incredibly friendly and upbeat. They were such supporters of the whole process and felt like they were on our team!
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Their approach to patients is the best I've seen. There is no "cattle call" for morning check-ups (you always have an appointment), you aren't seen by any doctor on staff (you always see YOUR doctor), and you know that everyone there knows your unique situation and is working to help YOU.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Althea O'Shaughnessy at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
I do not recall; they participated in my insurance at the time so we only had copays.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. O'Shaughnessy is very experienced and authoritative. She made me feel at ease after a bad experience at another clinic. She is very matter of fact, which for me, works well. She gives the facts and doesn't necessarily add much color commentary. She is responsive by email and also makes time available to talk on the phone...Dr. O'Shaughnessy is very real, upfront, and while not warm and fuzzy, she is responsive, and knows you and your issues and the plan.
Sher (SIRM) is a much smaller clinic than most in NYC but is still very highly rated. The best part is the you always see your doctor...[Nurse] Marian could be a little disorganized and on several occasions did send me calendars and medication details that were not reflective of what the doctor and I had spoken about. She is super responsive on email and quick to check with the doctor and correct the details... The outward appearance of the clinic is not the most modern - they could probably use a little office face lift, but the quality of the care makes up for that. The reception and nursing staffs are kind and familiar.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy or humor. She's very pragmatic and straightforward.
Sher is a much smaller clinic. I had previously been at RMA and was very happy with the level of engagement you get with only your doctor. Dr. O'Shaughnessy is very real, upfront, and while not warm and fuzzy, she is responsive, and knows you and your issues and the plan.
1 IVF - Gonal F (150) / Menopur (75) / Omnitrope protocol. Day 5 of monitoring showed only 3 follicles. Decision to convert to IUI cycle due to low response. - IUI not successful. Diagnosis - diminished ovarian reserve 2 IVF - Estace pre-cycle // Letrazole / Gonal F (150) - "estrogen primed cycle" - introduced Menopur later in the cycle. Ganirellex. Trigger shot. 5 follicles retrieved. 3 fertilized (donor sperm) // 1 arrested at day 3 // 2 arrested at day 5. None made it for PGS testing. 3 IVF - about to begin // will use Ganirellex prior to cycle day 1 in hopes of getting more even growth across follicles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Marian Gerges)
Marian could be a little disorganized and on several occasions did send me calendars and medication details that were not reflective of what the doctor and I had spoken about. She is super responsive on email and quick to check with the doctor and correct the details. But I did need to be super on top of it and reconfirm everything. She is very very kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Sher (SIRM) is a much smaller clinic than most in NYC but is still very highly rated. The best part is the you always see your doctor. Your doctor does all your monitoring, your retrievals, your transfers - unlike some of the bigger clinics where the doctors all rotate. I think when you're dealing with multiple cycles and poor responses, this type of connection is so important. The outward appearance of the clinic is not the most modern - they could probably use a little office face lift, but the quality of the care makes up for that. The reception and nursing staffs are kind and familiar. They accommodate appointments easily. It may not seem like an important detail, but there is never a packed waiting room so you don't feel like you're being herded through like I have felt in other places. The doctors are still busy and dealing with lots of patients, but you very much feel like a patient and not a number when you're at Sher.
I have $25k Lifetime coverage through United Healthcare which Sher accepts. I gave a $1k deposit to cover all office copays at the start of my cycle. My medication is coverage through my medical insurance - minus $3k deductible.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The only thing I had go wrong is sometimes the daily email from the nurse with meds and calendars was conflicting with what I had discussed with the doctor. It was always corrected, but I had to be paying close attention.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

Dr. O was always direct, yet empathetic in explaining any results. She conveys a familial-like vibe - sort of like your favorite Aunt. She remained positive despite my first negative pregnancy test, and was encouraging in our next cycle...Standard hormone injections for egg retrieval, Lupron treatment for slightly abnormal lining, and cleaning out of uterine fibroids. The Lupron treatment normalized my lining to produce a successful pregnancy.
My experience with SHER- NY was amazing. EVERYONE, from nurses to receptionists are welcoming and sensitive to your needs. Dr. O was always readily available via email, even responding on weekends and vacations. The ONLY time another doctor at the practice treated me, Dr. O called me just before the appointment to go over everything 1 more time. She is wonderful.
Trust her. It's an emotional process- but try not to be too emotional. See it as a goal to be met and take care of business. Follow her orders and pray for the best!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Annie)
Excellent nursing staff. I had many of them work with me on various occasions and they were all amazing!
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic itself is wonderfully laid out. Receptionists and financial planner are great! Very patient, taking time to answer any questions. The ONLY criticism I could possibly think of would be that you cannot really make a set appointment time in advance. You call and request your day and preferred time, then they call you to confirm the day before. Mostly though, the time they set is on or close to your preferred time. Also- I personally would prefer later appointment times, but they are not available beyond about 2-3pm.
I know they offered package deals for multiple cycles, but cannot remember how much they cost. I do know that they accepted our health insurance which meant we were only responsible for 10-20% of total cost, and some uncovered things (genetic screening, additional testing, prescription copays etc)
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
Thank goodness it wasn't a big deal at all- and it may not have even been SHERs fault because it involved sending bloodwork to another testing facility and company. My genetic screening bloodwork seemed to have been mixed up with my husbands, deeming the samples ineligible for testing and when Dr. O called- she explained that she was VERY upset with the company and had just gotten off the phone with them. She asked how soon we could come in for redrawing blood and explained the company would NOT charge us for the testing.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
The doctor [Althea O'Shaughnessy] was very reachable and seemed very open in her communication. I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance). My cycle at the institute (which was my third IVF - and i"m a normal 35 yo with no known problems) did not succeed, so I have mixed feelings about the Dr., who seemed to be very convinced of success rates. Also, she put me on lupron depot which was probably the worst kind of medication for my body so far. I never was told of the side effects , and in my case happened to be quite bad.
I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance)....The clinic [Sher Fertility of New York] was very small, clean and quite well organized in terms of scheduling. I never had an issue with scheduling. The billing process however was very disorganized, they very convincingly sent me a bill for additional $2,000 and were pushy with immediate payments. Given that this is a private clinic, I did have the feeling that much of the treatments and tests were cost driven.
The doctor was very reachable and seemed very open in her communication. I cannot fully trust that the large number of tests that totaled more than $5,000 were only driven by necessity and not by the clinic's desires to make additional money ( tests were not covered by insurance). My cycle at the institute (which was my third IVF - and i"m a normal 35 yo with no known problems) did not succeed, so I have mixed feelings about the Dr., who seemed to be very convinced of success rates. Also, she put me on lupron depot which was probably the worst kind of medication for my body so far. I never was told of the side effects , and in my case happened to be quite bad.
Ask as many questions as possible and fully understand what you are actually being tested for - what the purpose is and how the results are being interpreted.
The care was very personal, and the clinic was very careful. It did feel however that some of the tests were done as a matter of practice, and upon their receipt there was no diagnosis provided. Ultimately, I never understood the true value of the results of the test - Endometrial function test and NK cell test.
She ultimately gave me the same treatment for the IVF as the past doctors. She used a lupron protocol. However, we did a genetic test on the embyos so we had to continue with a frozen cycle. Because the endometrial function test showed some slight abnormatlities ( a test debated by many) - she put me on lupron depot. This was followed by an FET cycle - one embryo out of 5 tested was deemed good - and we transfered it. I was put on nightly injections of progesterone and delestrogen. Ultimately the cycle failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: annie choi)
The nurse was good, a bit overwhelmed at times, but ok. I had to remind her of medication that Dr. Oshaughessy suggested, and needed to make sure that she called in all the medication to the pharmacy - so I can't say she was very careful, but was helpful most of the time.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
The clinic was very small, clean and quite well organized in terms of scheduling. I never had an issue with scheduling. The billing process however was very disorganized, they very convincingly sent me a bill for additional $2,000 and were pushy with immediate payments. Given that this is a private clinic, I did have the feeling that much of the treatments and tests were cost driven.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Monitoring appointments were scheduled generally early in the morning, but everyone was put on a waitlist with desired times. Usually if i requested lets say 8:30, i would get that time. So the appointment process was quite easy to manage.
$11,000 (+/- a few hundred) - it was so expensive that I actually did a spreadhseet. Also i had insurance cover the IVF - this was only for tests, and FET.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I had issues with the nurse calling in medication to the pharmacy. I had to call back a few times, and send her an email detailing what the the decisions of our conversations were. It seemed difficult for her to make sure that medication was called in on time.
2015, Unknown Success
Investor
Dr. O'Shaughnessy is a great Dr. She has years of experience and I felt very confident from the beginning that the protocol she was using was the best for my case. She was not a great communicator, but I was a satellite patient so I never met her until my retrieval. Dr. O can be very blunt in her tone, but she wants the very best outcome. She is very direct and honest regarding your chances and your results. I consulted with four Dr's I had recommendations for. She was the only one who went thru my bloodwork thoroughly. If you are a satellite patient (meaning your doing all your monitoring at another facility) you just have to make sure you stay on top of your results, and ask a lot of questions. From a surgical stand point, I felt very confident with her and her team.
To make sure you are prepared with your questions during the monitoring phase. From my experience, I felt Dr O was not as attentive during this stage because its not as important to the dr. despite every day being important to the patient.
I was a satellite Patient. I do think if I was in NY for my whole treatment, I would give Dr. O'Shaughnessy a better result, but I felt like In the beginning stages she wasn't totally on top of my results. Once we got to the retrieval stage I felt more comfortable. That said, SHE did email me every time with my results or call, unlike bigger facilities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Annie Chan)
Again, because I was a satellite patient, I never really understood what role each nurse took. I also started with one nurse and then had another one emailing me. I felt they did not realize I was a satellite patient, so would send me my calendar after a monitoring appointment. They also forgot to order medications one time, which luckily turned out to be ok, but could have been an issue. I do think this was because of my status and would be different if i were an in office patient
I did not do any monitoring here. I did my monitoring in Virgina at RMSVA, which I have to say was wonderful. They treated me like I was their patient and they sent my results on a timely manner.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility Solutions New York?
I felt like if I was not 100% on top of my protocol and medicines there would have been mistakes. They sent me blanket instructions for medications, which if I had followed, would have led to a mistake in mixing. They forgot to order one medication because it was from a different pharmacy so I had to pay extra for overnight and it was still a day late. They sent me instructions that were not always accurate in terms of timing (ie number of days drugs to refill)

2018, Consult
One thing that we asked about was whether she [Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] was willing to transfer abnormal or mosaic embryos. We'd heard that many clinics refuse, but she told us we would have that option with additional waivers and genetic counseling based on specific PGS results...took time to thoroughly answer our questions and review our records. However, we jumped straight into testing the day of our consultation, which surprised me.
The [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] clinic in Littleton is large and comfortable. However, the billing office is difficult to reach and didn't return calls. The nurse didn't call with test results and also didn't post them to the patient portal the way that our previous clinic did... She [Dr. O'Shaughnessy] wasn't familiar with the clinic's CDC data, so she couldn't answer questions about that, and she also didn't have information about financial pieces - she said we'd have to make an appointment with the billing office.
Dr. O'Shaughnessy spent a lot of time answering our questions and confirmed many things our previous doctor had said. She outlined the course of testing and began it immediately. She wasn't familiar with the clinic's CDC data, so she couldn't answer questions about that, and she also didn't have information about financial pieces - she said we'd have to make an appointment with the billing office.
Dr. O'Shaughnessy took time to thoroughly answer our questions and review our records. However, we jumped straight into testing the day of our consultation, which surprised me.
The nurse was very kind and thorough in person but never called with test results.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The clinic in Littleton is large and comfortable. However, the billing office is difficult to reach and didn't return calls. The nurse didn't call with test results and also didn't post them to the patient portal the way that our previous clinic did.
We're still in the testing phase, so costs aren't clear yet.
One thing that we asked about was whether she was willing to transfer abnormal or mosaic embryos. We'd heard that many clinics refuse, but she told us we would have that option with additional waivers and genetic counseling based on specific PGS results.
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
As noted, we didn't receive test results and couldn't reach the billing office.
Littleton

Prepare for cut to the chase straight forward answers. You’ll get them [from Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy]...You barely work with the doctor. It’s the nurses start to finish...She is a little blunt, and keeps her consultations quick and in and out. I could’ve stood for a little more compassion. But she is very smart. I did trust her with my treatment. I will use her should I opt for a second round.
[Monitoring at Conceptions Reproductive Associates] was the most convenient ever. I went in at my leisure, and was immediately seen...One round of egg retrieval, and FET was upwards of 20,000 plus meds...This is a very strong, knowledgeable team who all complement each other. Our entire process was seamless from start to now. They handle everything including arguing with the insurance companies. I really appreciate the people in each office.
Prepare for cut to the chase straight forward answers. You’ll get them.
They see a ton of patients. So it’s understandable. It’s just that with COVID19, no one is happy they aren’t being treated so it is what it is. Also, we only have one. Just one. And now we have to wait even longer.
The nurses are the heart and soul of the entire operation. You barely work with the doctor. It’s the nurses start to finish.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
Gosh it was the most convenient ever. I went in at my leisure, and was immediately seen.
One round of egg retrieval, and FET was upwards of 20,000 plus meds. We cannot afford to do this a second time, sadly, and we only got one embryo.
Denver
[Dr. O'Shaughnessy] is very knowledgeable and knew exactly The perfect course of action for my husband and I. She explained our course and our test results. She respected leaving the sex of our embryos a secret. She was genuinley excited about our successes and reassuring when we faced an obstacle...was friendly and helpful. She answered all my questions...Have a list of questions before you go in to ask.
the clinic [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] really works to accommodate clients that live a distance away. There are other satellite clinics around the Denver area as well. But Littleton is the main hub...Everyone at Conceptions is amazing. Friendly, compassionate, professional, and caring...[Dr. O'Shaughnessy] is very knowledgeable and knew exactly The perfect course of action for my husband and I. She explained our course and our test results. She respected leaving the sex of our embryos a secret. She was genuinley excited about our successes and reassuring when we faced an obstacle.
Dr. O is very knowledgeable and knew exactly The perfect course of action for my husband and I. She explained our course and our test results. She respected leaving the sex of our embryos a secret. She was genuinley excited about our successes and reassuring when we faced an obstacle.
Have a list of questions before you go in to ask.
The clinic was awesome! Dr.O was friendly and helpful. She answered all my questions.
I have gone through so much, specifics have long passed out of my mind. I know a positive attitude by the couple goes a long way with the physicians protocol.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
It's hard to drive 3 hours for some of the appts. But the clinic really works to accommodate clients that live a distance away. There are other satellite clinics around the Denver area as well. But Littleton is the main hub.
$15,000 around the final total.
We were advised to transfer 1. The possibility if the embryo is high. She didnt want to transfer 2 at a time die to increased risks for babies and mother

Consult
There were no pleasantries with Dr. O'Shaughnessy. We went directly into her office where she rapid fired questions at us and then prescribed a number of labs, even though I brought in recent lab work that contained the same information. In an already stressful process her bedside manner was seriously lacking. She asked no questions about our goals, what we had tried previously or what information would be most helpful to us. We waited a long period after our initial appointment time to be seen - instead of being apologetic, she complained about how busy she is.
The nursing staff [at Conceptions Reproductive Associates] seemed kind, friendly and willing to answer our questions...Overall communication was fine. Front desk staff were pleasant. We had some difficulty hearing back from our scheduling coordinator and our appointment started past the scheduled time. A lot of information was presented to us, which felt confusing to parse out and make sense of.
It felt very methodical and not warm or welcoming at all. I left the visit feeling deeply uncomfortable and frustrated. We were not greeted with any questions or warmth when we came in. It seemed that the desire was to just run a battery of tests on us and keep it moving.
This journey is emotional enough as it is - seek another doctor who is more compassionate.
The nursing staff seemed kind, friendly and willing to answer our questions.
$175 for an initial consultation without insurance
Denver

She [Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] scheduled an appointment just to speak with us and explain what may have happened when we received a negative pregnancy test after our first transfer. She was also very personable...She was very knowledgable and thorough. Also seemed to enjoy her job. My husband and I actually discussed it and felt like she was somewhat like an aunt in nature- providing compassion, yet with direct facts...Genetic testing- because it seemed a standard practice there.
Appointments [at Sher] were somewhat inflexible. The doctor could only provide treatment in morning hours. Afternoons seemed to be reserved for new patients...Genetic testing- because it seemed a standard practice there...Everyone was wonderful at the office. Responsive, caring and attentive...Mostly covered by my insurance. But we had to pay 20% out of pocket. Came to around $3000 per cycle...She [Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy] was very knowledgable and thorough. Also seemed to enjoy her job.
She scheduled an appointment just to speak with us and explain what may have happened when we received a negative pregnancy test after our first transfer. She was also very personable.
Genetic testing- because it seemed a standard practice there. Egg retrieval and embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility Solutions New York. (Assigned nurse: Yes- cannot recall her name)
Everyone was wonderful at the office. Responsive, caring and attentive
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility Solutions New York.
Appointments were somewhat inflexible. The doctor could only provide treatment in morning hours. Afternoons seemed to be reserved for new patients.
Sher Fertility Solutions New York

[Protocols with Dr. Althea O'Shaughnessy included] IUIs with letrozole...met with Dr. O'Shaughnessy once, and had pretty much zero interaction with her about my actual case...There was an unexpected obstacle to an impending IUI. This was our first effort at treatment, so we were understandably worried about the problem. Given the remainder of our fertility efforts so far, I would no longer be super concerned about that outcome; however, Dr. O'Shaughnessy didn't help us understand the lack of need for concern. The most unpleasant part of the interaction was that we kept asking about a potential solution, and she was extremely dismissive while also misunderstanding what we were suggesting. Combined with the lack of consistent care, it gave the impression that no one in the clinic was actually following our case carefully.
Generally speaking I had mediocre communication experiences with Conceptions. It was often difficult to reach someone, and I had to be pretty on top of it to make sure initial ultrasounds for IUIs were scheduled early enough. Part of the issue is that it's a big practice (another part is the horrendous customer service standard in fertility as a whole but I digress). I worked with a lot of different nurses, and that lack of consistency was often frustrating because I would need to explain things repeatedly.
I met with Dr. O'Shaughnessy once. There was an unexpected obstacle to an impending IUI. This was our first effort at treatment, so we were understandably worried about the problem. Given the remainder of our fertility efforts so far, I would no longer be super concerned about that outcome; however, Dr. O'Shaughnessy didn't help us understand the lack of need for concern. The most unpleasant part of the interaction was that we kept asking about a potential solution, and she was extremely dismissive while also misunderstanding what we were suggesting. Combined with the lack of consistent care, it gave the impression that no one in the clinic was actually following our case carefully.
I saw different practitioners for pretty much every meeting: the first NP who did my intake left the practice before I could begin treatment, I saw another NP for a regroup, met with Dr. O'Shaughnessy once, and had pretty much zero interaction with her about my actual case.
IUIs with letrozole.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Changed over time)
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
It's a big clinic with a lot of doctors and locations. That can be good and bad. The Rose location was honestly a nightmare in terms of customer service: the front desk folks were overtly hostile and rude, lost STI test results and made us redo them (they were like, yeah, we lose faxes all the time), made obvious billing errors. The Littleton main office was much better: friendly staff, no lost test results, correct billing. Overall Conceptions is pretty heteronormative and I often found that exhausting. However, andrology is mostly great. Dealing with the lab there was the best aspect of Conceptions.
Lone Tree

She [Dr. O'Shaughnessy] was fine. Not particularly warm, but I didn’t need that at the beginning. I only saw her at the beginning of the process—once I was in a cycle, I didn’t see her at all. Because of that I don’t have anything else to write... I was prescribed Letrazole to build my lining and estrace and progesterone as well as a trigger shot. The first time, the trigger shot made me horribly ill
The reception staff [Conceptions Reproductive Associates] is not very professional and I overheard questions for other patients about health and billing from the staff on multiple occasions.... Although my main nurse was great, I got the sense that they didn’t communicate very well. My nurse had no idea that I called the after-hours nurse when I got really sick from the trigger shot.
She was fine. Not particularly warm, but I didn’t need that at the beginning. I only saw her at the beginning of the process—once I was in a cycle, I didn’t see her at all. Because of that I don’t have anything else to write so now I’m filling up this space with characters: swrtuioppjdsacvnmiytdsc luresshhjoutrdcnkitenkouv jjdyikkbcefhjklmnbcrylmbverjklmn frdxsllyrscbb. Hhhhfffvkkvfdcbn hbjnfffg bgcckkbgyvxzchjm ggcxxkkggydxv vfgjnvfxxxhj gfcxxxxjjktsscv fdzbjig b jfsxbbutfcb vfxcbb
Be prepared to be your own advocate
Doctor visits were extremely brief, and although nurses were more available, there wasn’t a whole lot of understanding of how confusing the process is, especially for a single person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Conceptions Reproductive Associates. (Assigned nurse: Channing )
Although my main nurse was great, I got the sense that they didn’t communicate very well. My nurse had no idea that I called the after-hours nurse when I got really sick from the trigger shot. There were varying levels of professionalism- one technician loudly said “I’ve never seen that before!” During an X-ray in which I was in stirrups and my uterus was pumped full of liquid.
Describe your experience with Conceptions Reproductive Associates.
The reception staff is not very professional and I overheard questions for other patients about health and billing from the staff on multiple occasions. They also ask for payment on the same day as an IUI, which is understandable (I’m not asking them not to bill me for services rendered), but it’s already a really stressful day, and especially for single patients, there has to be a more delicate way to handle this
I believe my first round ofIUI was $1200, not including sperm. My insurance covered a portion of this moving forward
What specific things went wrong at Conceptions Reproductive Associates?
Although I know how babies are made, the details of this process are overwhelming. I didn’t always get consistent messaging about what was going on with my body or the best way to move forward.