Medical SchoolOregon Health & Science
503.274.4994
808 SW 15th Avenue
Portland, OR 97205
503.274.4994
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Amanda Hurliman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Oregon Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Hurliman has always been very personable. She always makes sure to give us her full attention making sure all of our questions are answered.... Although we haven't gotten our happily ever after yet, Dr. Hurliman has done everything in her power to help us. She has been here every step of the way and continues to try and use the science to meet our specific needs.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hurliman has always been very nice and informative with us. She answers our questions completely never making us feel like an annoyance (no matter how ridiculous the questions are). Unfortunately we haven't had a successful pregnancy yet, but Dr. Hurliman is there with us every step of the way. She cares about our success just as much as us and isn't in this industry just to make money.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
If you have questions, just ask! She will answer your questions thoroughly and completely.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Amanda Hurliman used in your cycles at Oregon Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have done just about every treatment out there, so this may take a while... We first starting seeing Dr. Hurliman after our third miscarriage and learning of my unicornuate uterus. During the pre-diagnosis testing, we learned of my husband's chromosomal inversion. With these results, we assumed our miscarriages were a result of the chromosomal inversion so we embarked on IVF with PDG. We ended up with 1 balanced embryo (out of 10 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and were tested). We then had a failed FET. Since we didn't get the results we were hoping for, we decided to proceed with IUI with DS. Our first IUI cycle was unsuccessful (using Clomid). The next three months I used Clomid and Letrozole and proceeded to ovulate from my unconnected ovary. Since we were using DS, we didn't not proceed with the IUI those months. On our 5 cycle trying IUI, we used injectable medication to make both of my ovaries respond. This cycle went beautifully and we received a positive pregnancy test. Unfortunately, we miscarried at 7 weeks. Realizing my uterus was not going to be able to sustain a pregnancy, we decided to move forward with IVF with PGD and a GC. We retrieved my eggs, and fertilized half of the eggs with my husband's sperm and half with DS. Out of 13 fertilized embryos, 2 made it to day 5 (1 from husband, 1 from DS). Being able to see and compare the results from embryo with my husband vs. embryos with the DS, we learned that my eggs are vary poor quality. This was a complete shock because all of my other testing came back normal. Although this was a very disappointing discovery, we ended up with 1 balanced embryo and had a successful FET with our GC. Everyone was so happy - Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our excitement. Unfortunately, we lost the pregnancy at 8 weeks. Everyone was devastated - again, Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our emotions. Right now we are in the process on where to go from here and again, Dr. Hurliman is right here with us. This survey asked if we have received the results we wanted - I put it's too soon to tell because it's a hard question to answer. Technically, Dr. Hurliman has done a brilliant job and we have gotten pregnant twice. But in the end, we don't have a sweet little baby in our arms. Although we haven't gotten our happily ever after yet, Dr. Hurliman has done everything in her power to help us. She has been here every step of the way and continues to try and use the science to meet our specific needs. Although we haven't been able to reach our end goal, I wouldn't consider it to be Dr. Hurliman or her staff's fault - no matter how hard you try, sometimes science can't fix you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katy and Heidi)
When we first began at ORM, we had Katy as a nurse. She was amazing, and we loved her. Katy has moved onto other opportunities and Heidi took her place. Heidi is super nice. I do wish she communicated a little more, but in the end, I get the information I need - sometimes I just have to reach out and request it.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very organized and clean. Everyone (billing, genetic counseling, front desk, nursing, etc.) is very friendly and willing to help you in any way. We've never had any issues or disliked any of our interactions with anyone. A dislike would have to be the limited, tight parking lot of the downtown office. But I rather have tight parking at a great clinic, than easy parking at a mediocre clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
I don't completely remember the costs, but I we spent about $32k on our IVF with PDG - this includes medications from an outside pharmacy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
[Dr. Hurliman] is very professional and pleasant. She always answers all our questions we have and if I ask her to explain something again for me to better understand, she always does. She is always smiling and I feel she is always is encouraging us that our day as parents is coming. A weakness we find in her though which we wish was not the case is that we feel in the end she always just really pushes for us to do another IUI (and IVF) without digging deeper on what our fertility issues are.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
De Hurlamin is very professional and pleasant. She always answers all our questions we have and if I ask her to explain something again for me to better understand, she always does. She is always smiling and I feel she is always is encouraging us that our day as parents is coming. A weakness we find in her though which we wish was not the case is that we feel in the end she always just really pushes for us to do another IUI (and IVF) without digging deeper on what our fertility issues are. We did a few IUIs with her already and If we had the money to spend on another IUI or possibley an IVF than heck, I would jump right to it like she wants to but we can’t just jump into it without being more sure on our issues and how we can avoid a miscarriage if we do get pregnant again when we are already baried in so many medical bills.
Always always ask questions, ask her to repeat explaining something if you need more clarification and be firm about certain testing you want done
I feel there’s never interest to find out why I am having recurrent miscarriages. They push IUI and IVF on us but we can’t afford to do another cycle of IUI (can’t even think of IVF as that’s not even close to an option) especially if it ends in a miscarriage again.
Both my IUI cycles I took clomid (can’t remember the dosage), and a trigger shot before the IUI procedure. These both resulted in a failed IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
We were assigned different nurses at different times but all our nurses were very professional and caring. They all were very organized and would set our schedules and would call us when certain things would need to be done and call us each time we had a result and discussed those results with us. Overall we think the nurses there are great
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Overall i think the clinic is very professional as a whole and they all make sure they smile when talking to a patient which is so nice when you’re doing something that could be so difficult to stay positive in but their smiles I feel always help us without realizing it. I do wish that their would be more financial support like some other clinics have. For example I know some clinics give you 3 tries but if all theee fail, you get your money back or part of your money back. If they do have any, I’m completely not aware of it as no one ever mentioned it to us. If they want to really push IUI/IVF on you than they should have options like this.
Most of our treatments were done in 2015/early 2016 so I don’t quite remember the exact amount but overall it costed us over 2000 for the two IUI and everything leading up to those
Describe Amanda Hurliman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
13 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Dr Hurliman always gives me the impression that she is dedicated to me as a patient. I've been so impressed with how thorough Dr Hurliman is pre-cycle testing to make sure that I have the best chance possible at having a healthy pregnancy and baby. When I sit with Dr Hurliman in person, I feel that Dr Hurliman is truly fully in the the room with me which means so much!...I was also truly blown away by Dr Hurliman's ability to navigate my cervix and uterus. Dr Hurliman completed a procedure that when I had the same one years earlier, was excruciating. With Dr Hurliman, I did not feel a thing!!
13 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I will always remember the first consult that I had with Dr Hurliman. It was by phone, yet she felt so close to me as we talked. I remember her saying, "We are here for you and we are going to support you on this journey to getting your baby." I could feel that her energy was genuine and I immediately felt a connection with her. The first time that I met with Dr Hurliman in person was for an invasive ultrasound procedure. I was touched by how emotionally present Dr Hurliman was - it made me feel so safe! I was also truly blown away by Dr Hurliman's ability to navigate my cervix and uterus. Dr Hurliman completed a procedure that when I had the same one years earlier, was excruciating. With Dr Hurliman, I did not feel a thing!! With Dr Hurliman, I have put myself into her hands 100%. For a woman who does not trust medical doctors very easily, this says a lot about the doctor that she is.
Dr Hurliman is going to ask you to give 100% to this process. She is going to require that you follow her protocols to a T and she's going to require that you complete extensive pre-cycle testing. Remind yourself that the reason she is doing this is because she wants what you want: for you to succeed! Place yourself in her hands and do what she asks. But, you have to be very assertive to make sure that you have Dr Hurliman's time, whatever time you need. Ask for what YOU need and don't worry about what other patients are doing. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and connect.
I am currently in cycle - We are doing an FET with an embryo created via donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Haley Swanson and Andi Hockman)
I am currently under the care of Andi Hockman who is the program coordinator. Andi is meticulous with all aspects of IVF nursing care. She is highly organized, responds promptly to every communication, she is excellent at communication, she is extremely kind/sensitive/patient - Andi has never once acted upset at my many emails and questions. She has taken my concerns seriously and has taken it upon herself to check in with Dr Hurliman with my concerns though I have rarely asked her to. I feel 100% supported by Andi and Dr Hurliman.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Oregon Reproductive Medicine is, imo, the best clinic in the United States. The clinic says it strives to achieve excellent patient care, and I feel that the staff is achieving this. From the receptionist to the medical records team to the financial coordinators...every staff member seems to truly care about me and my success. They perform their jobs with competence and with consistency. The only area where the clinic needs to continue to improve is with having the best nurses available for us. The first nurse that I was assigned to caused emotional hurt to me as a patient, but I can clearly see that the situation was taken very seriously and it is now in the past. I hope that my feedback during that situation resulted in that nurse growing as a provider. That would be my hope!
I don't want to answer this question.
So many women doing IVF want to transfer 2 embryos. Not me! I want a natural birth and I want my pregnancy to go full term. Most of the twin births that I know of were preemie births. The babies were very fragile and the pregnancies were stressful. I agree with Dr Hurliman: transfer one only.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
Not much explaining unless you had all the questions. Only recommended Coq10 after 5 failed iuis instead of from the beginning. She [Dr. Hurliman] didn’t have the answers to why the iuis were not working. She didn’t give me other options, other meds to take, or other treatments to do with IUI... I requested to have my HSG done somewhere that I knew was covered with my insurance and Dr.Hurliman wasn’t supportive of that. They wanted me to go to where they wanted even though it would be out of network for me
East Asian, Other
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Not much explaining unless you had all the questions. Only recommended Coq10 after 5 failed iuis instead of from the beginning. She didn’t have the answers to why the iuis were not working. She didn’t give me other options, other meds to take, or other treatments to do with IUI.
It’s nice to know what I could do at home to help with IUI success. Like recommending diets, supplements, alternative medicine.
Felt like I was just another number and all they cared about was money. I requested to have my HSG done somewhere that I knew was covered with my insurance and Dr.Hurliman wasn’t supportive of that. They wanted me to go to where they wanted even though it would be out of network for me
The first IUI I did letrozole 5mg. My follicles were not mature. I increased to 10mg after the second IUI. I ovulated on my own the first 3 IUI treatments. The 4th cycle I had ovulated early so I had to miss a month. The 4th IUI I did the injection night before IUI and 5th iui no injection. All failed. The sperm analysis was up and down for all of the cycles
They were available to answer questions. My last IUI cycle, there was miscommunication. I had completed the IUI and I was leaving to schedule the blood pregnancy test in 2 weeks. I was told by the front desk that my account was on hold since I had an outstanding balance and was told I couldn’t make the next appointment. I was not given any options so I just walked out. 2 weeks later I got a call from the MA asking why I didn’t take my blood pregnancy test. I wAs very upset since my period had started so I knew it wasn’t working but also because I was told I couldn’t schedule the blood pregnancy test. Turns out they sent an order to a hospital that covers my insurance and expected me to go there for the lab draw but never told me.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
They just want your money. They don’t have any payment plan options. They want you to get tests done that are not necessary. They also double charge you on your account so you have to double check to make sure you were charged correctly. I was told but the front desk to call their billing office to set up a payment plan but when I call the billing office, they tell me they don’t do payment plans. Lots of comminication
Very expensive no payment plan option.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
When my spouse and I began seeing Dr. Hurliman we were unsure of the future for us in conceiving our own children. She reviewed our records and provided a professional perspective without making us feel discouraged or overwhelmed. Her approach was always to educate and reassure. I never felt that she over promised things, she was very clear on the next steps and what results she thought we might see. By not over promising my spouse and I were never discouraged by results.
1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable; Dr. Hurliman and her staff really don't mind answering your questions.
Dr. Hurliman and her staff got to know my staff and I very well. They always referred to us by first name and asked questions about our weekends, family and hobbies.
Diagnosed with tubal blockage on both sides. ORM referred me to a specialist to have surgery. Prior to the surgery we decided to start IVF and freeze the eggs. My IVF cycle included; PM Dexamethasone, Prenatal, Aspirin, Menopur 2, Follistim 150 and Ganirellex. My cycle lasted 7 days. We retrieved 23 eggs and of those 23, 13 lasted past day 7. When met with the sperm we ended up with 7 embryos and after testing 3 were ruled out. Thus, our one cycle rendered 4 viable embryos. After my tubal surgery and recovery we scheduled a time for the embryo transfer. At that time I took Doxycycline twice a day, Endometrin and Medrol after the HCG trigger. First transfer was a success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth )
Regardless of whether I saw my care coordinator or not, they seemed to take very good notes so all staff was aware of last visits and conversations. Overall the staff was very helpful and willing to answer questions at any time.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Hurliman was very supportive through every step of this process. She was always very patient and explained in detail everything she was doing and answered any question that came up. She even took the time to personally call me when the results of my pregnancy test came in...When I met with Dr. Hurliman to discuss the results, she was so loving and kind and just normal. She wasn't in doctor mode-- her reactions to everything were the same as my close friends. It felt good to have a real conversation about how hard things were.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I met Dr. Hurliman right at the start of what turned out to be the hardest year of my life. I had been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and still trying to figure out what that even meant. We were having trouble getting pregnant, but we hadn't been trying that long, so I wasn't convinced there was anything wrong. Since I had my MS issues, I thought it would be good just to get checked out. After my first couple appointments, I learned that I had all sorts of fertility issues. I started treatment and in the middle of it, my dad got really sick. I went back to California to help my mom take care of him, while still trying to do my injections and fly back and forth for appointments. I felt like I was calling ORM every day asking them what to do, if I could move an appointment, if I had to have a blood draw, etc. They finally told me it would probably be a good idea to just stop this round of IVF and pick back up when I was in a better place. It was the best thing they could have ever said to me. It was this weird relief and it allowed me to focus completely on my Dad. He was on in-home hospice and we were told he had about a year to live. He ended up passing away 3 weeks later, and I am so incredibly thankful I got to spend those last 3 weeks taking care of him with nothing else on my mind except that. Dr. Hurliman and her team were so compassionate and patient during this time. It was already overwhelming trying to navigate the fertility injections and going through everything with my Dad made it a million times harder. They answered my every phone call with nothing but warmth and it felt like they were going through all this with me. A few weeks later, my Grandma passed away and then my poor mother had a massive heart attack from all the stress of the last month and losing two of the people she loved the most. It was definitely a very sad, stressful time and writing this all out reminds me just how absolutely crazy it was. I started another round of treatment that ended up not working. I felt like it was kind of set up to fail based on the amount of stress and heartache that had happened in the months before. When I met with Dr. Hurliman to discuss the results, she was so loving and kind and just normal. She wasn't in doctor mode-- her reactions to everything were the same as my close friends. It felt good to have a real conversation about how hard things were. After that, she had a new plan to move forward and was confident that we could be successful in the next round...And we were! Fast forward to a few months later, Dr. Hurliman called me herself to tell me that I had a positive pregnancy test. It meant a lot that she took the time to personally call me and I think it shows a lot about what an amazing person she is and how invested she is in her patients I still thank my lucky stars that I got Dr. Hurliman as my Doctor. She is an incredibly smart, caring and compassionate person, and has a very calming presence that puts you at ease. Going through IVF sucks, but the way she handles things makes it so much better.
Dr. Hurliman will create the best path to success for you and you need to trust her and her plan. I would also recommend utilizing the resources ORM has to offer. I think when you find out that you have fertility issues, your first instinct is to become as educated as possible in your condition and the best way to get the results you want. There is SO much information online and in books that it can be overwhelming. Definitely do you research, but also take advantage of people at ORM like Dr. Sgarlata. He helped me refine my vitamin regimen and also provided insight on some lifestyle changes I could make to promote better overall health. It was very helpful. I also highly recommended acupuncture. I think it was one of the defining things I did that helped me to achieve a positive outcome. ORM gives you a list of great acupuncturists that specialize in fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Schmitke)
The nursing staff at ORM is the best. They are all very informed on where you are in the process and provide detailed answers for any questions you may have. They are great teachers too. They go over your calendar (which can seem daunting at first) and how to do your injections in an easy to understand way. I am sure they have to do that a million times a day with each person, but they are always treat you like you're their only patient. Katy and Whitney were my two favorite nurses. They were always so nice and knew who I was. I imagine they deal with a lot of patients throughout the day, so it was always really cool that they knew who I was and were so friendly. Jeri was also an amazing person at ORM and really made this whole process a lot more bearable. She definitely helped me through some tough appointments. Anyone that gets to meet her should consider themselves very lucky.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
ORM runs like a well oiled machine (at least it presents that way!) They respond to you in a timely manner, they are all very helpful and compassionate and they make going through this whole process a whole lot easier. They recently introduced an online portal which makes communicating with them even easier and its nice to be able to access your test results and go back to old emails that may have instructions.
I had two embryos and Dr. Hurliman advised me to transfer one. She went over in detail the success rates of a single transfer vs multiple and we both agreed that a single transfer was best for me.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
The strategy at ORM seems to be strongly quality over quantity. I have no diagnosis outside of unexplained infertility. I was given an Antagonist protocol. I was started with birth control pills and doxycycline. Later I started dexamethasone. After my suppression check I was not quite suppressed enough so they had me do a few days of Cetrotide to get my estrogen levels down. That worked, so I then started all my injectables: Menopur (2) and Gonal F (150). On day 6 they added Cetrotide back. I did 10 days total of injections before I took my trigger shot. My doses were never adjusted, except on the final day when my Gonal-F was reduced to 75. At the egg retrieval, 11 eggs were retrieved and all were mature. 9 of the 11 fertilized. 5 of the 9 made it to day 5 and were biopsied/frozen for CCS testing. All 5 came back as normal.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
She is amazing at explaining the process. Whenever we had a sit-down meeting, e.g. to discuss IVF, she drew out the whole process and we were able to take that image/notes with us. She gave us ample time to ask all our questions and never rushed us out, even when we sometimes went over time. It did seem like it took some time to build a more personal rapport with her, but as she got to know us better, I felt like her demeanor was more and more caring and gentle.
Don't be afraid to share the personal side of what this experience means to you, or your hopes and fears. She seems to respond well when a patient opens up a bit, which allows her to have a more personal relationship with you.
I always met with Dr. Hurliman at each appointment, except at weekend appointments. I always received prompt return phone calls/messages whenever I had a question. Dr. Hurliman was always present when with me, well-prepared for the meeting, and felt very authentic in her communication style.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katy)
Katy was incredibly kind, happy, and present whenever I met with her. She always responded promptly and thoroughly to my messages. I felt like she was genuinely sad/happy with me through the whole journey. She gave me whatever time I needed to ask every question I could think of.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
I can't think of a single thing wrong with ORM. They are very clean, warm, professional, and thorough. The same staff is present all the time (i.e. they aren't too big), so you begin to recognize the same faces over and over. The waiting area is tactful and compassionate (i.e. no signage or environment cues to remind you that you don't have children). I loved that their office is available on weekends for appointments (at the Downtown location). The Westside location was very convenient for us during weekdays. Exam rooms are clean and calming. Meeting rooms/offices are professional but not cold/"sterile." They have an amazing genetic counselor (Serena!). And Westside has an amazing receptionist (Jennifer!). I just loved coming there, despite the reason for it!
For our IVF (egg retrieval and frozen embryo transfer with ICSI and CCS testing), we paid approximately $11,500 out of pocket. I have good health insurance coverage for infertility treatment and medications.
Dr. Hurliman strongly recommended that we transfer 1 embryo, due to my age (31) and the lack of previous miscarriages.
Portland Westside
We had a very candid long discussion at the beginning of my treatment where she [Dr. Amanda Hurliman] laid out all of my various options and discussed with me my ultimate family goals. I was able to direct exactly what I wanted to happen- she was willing to do more IUIs if I wanted, or to go straight to IVF. I felt like she was always very informed about my care, very excited for me, and very involved in my treatment. Immediately after my FET, I remember she came over to me and just rested her hand on my head in a very supportive gesture which was immensely calming- I felt like we were partners in my treatment. When that transfer resulted in pregnancy, Dr. Hurliman and the entire team were so excited for me.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I found Dr. Hurliman to be very thorough in explaining every step along the way and making me feel comfortable as we proceeded though the IVF process. I saw her for every single appointment but the egg retrieval, because ORM has the doctors share duties for egg retrieval. She did every single monitoring appointment and my frozen embryo transfer.
I was very happy with my care at ORM under Dr. Hurliman. We had a very candid long discussion at the beginning of my treatment where she laid out all of my various options and discussed with me my ultimate family goals. I was able to direct exactly what I wanted to happen- she was willing to do more IUIs if I wanted, or to go straight to IVF. I felt like she was always very informed about my care, very excited for me, and very involved in my treatment. Immediately after my FET, I remember she came over to me and just rested her hand on my head in a very supportive gesture which was immensely calming- I felt like we were partners in my treatment. When that transfer resulted in pregnancy, Dr. Hurliman and the entire team were so excited for me.
We started with an IUI while I was doing the basic testing (Clomid Challenge, etc.) Then we moved into stimulation for IVF- I did an antagonist protocol. I can't remember why, but I remember the pros/cons of antagonist vs. one of the lupron protocols were explained to me and I agreed with antagonist. I had 12 days of medication and monitoring because Dr. Hurliman wanted my follicles to develop. I retrieved 21 eggs, 19 of which were mature and 16 of which fertilized with ICSI. I had 8 embryos make it to Day 5, at which time they were biopsied for PGD testing and frozen. I had 7 embryos come back as chromosome-normal. For the frozen embryo transfer, Dr. Hurliman discussed that I could do a "natural" FET or a medicated FET. I chose the medicated because I wanted to make sure that I could control the date of transfer and because I didn't find the injections to be that bad. My single embryo transfer resulted in a pregnancy- I had frequent monitoring with Dr. Hurliman until I was released to my OB-GYN at 10 weeks pregnant. I wish I could have stayed with her for my whole pregnancy because I felt that I got MUCH more individual attention at ORM than at my OB-GYN.
I loved Katy. She was really responsive, always called me within hours of my appointment to go over my results and my protocol. She was really responsive and an absolute sweetheart.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
ORM was great- I went to the smaller clinic for the majority of my appointments, which had a smaller staff. That means that I saw the same person for blood draws every time, the same nurse, and my same doctor. I'm not sure if this is consistent with the larger downtown location. I also appreciated ORM's IVF orientation sessions (two of them, overview and injection training)- made me feel very confident in moving through the process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
I was able to schedule my monitoring appointments for first thing in the morning, which worked best with my schedule.
I believe that the IVF was approx $16k, PGD testing of up to 9 embryos was approx. $5k, and my frozen embryo transfer was approx. $3k. Medications were approx. $2.5k.
Dr. Hurliman recommended that because I was doing PGD testing I only do a single transfer. We had previously discussed that I didn't want twins so I had never considered transferring more than one. She did go over ORM's statistics of eSET v. multiple embryo transfers for both PGD tested and non-PGD tested embryos.
Portland Westside
I didn't feel at all connected to Dr. Hurliman and tried to switch doctors but was told by the clinic manager that it was too late in my cycle to switch. She is difficult to get in touch with so for many cycles I was left feeling like I was in the dark regarding my care and my plan for fertility treatments. When I did have contact with her she was great at explaining things factually but lacked compassion and understanding. Her unavailability- both in terms of her time and emotionally- made me feel not cared for...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Don't expect to be able to reach her if you have questions or need more in depth explaining of testing or OF your treatment plan.
I went for months without seeing her and didn't feel that she cared about whether or not I conceived. At no point did Dr.Hurliman contact me to ask if I wanted to continue IUI vs move on to IVF. I had to literally beg the staff to put me on her schedule to discuss starting IVF. I never felt like Dr. Hurliman had time for me or really cared about helping me move forward.
I decided that I would go on Clomid, she recommended the dose. I decided that I would do three IUIs- she performed none of them. I decided that I would move from IUI to IVF. None of this was "recommended " by my doctor- she never recommended anything, which made me feel like no one was "driving the bus"
I had several different coordinators in my year at ORM. The staff turnover and inconsistencies made it very difficult to know who I was supposed to contact with questions. I felt like I just kept getting passed off to different people.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
From the front desk staff to nursing and MDs, everyone was rather cold. General lack of compassion at the offices. Terrible experiences with the billing offices, had to demand to see a financial counselor and when I got to the meeting all she did was read me an email she had already sent me. It felt like she was completely unprepared, she was unable to answer my questions, it was a horribly frustrating experience. No information on prior authorizations from my insurance were obtained prior to my treatment deposit being due.
We were able to use insurance for our treatments. An ongoing frustration has been that ORM did not obtain prior authorization for treatments before requiring my $12,000 IVF deposit. No one from ORM made any effort to help me determine what was covered and what wasn't until I demanded that it be done. I'm sure I wasn't the first patient to use insurance for IVF, but the financial office certainly did not seem as though this was something that they were familiar or comfortable with doing.
Portland Westside
...Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment... I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after surgery to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
After nearly four years of trying to conceive on our own and at other clinics, we made an appointment with Dr. Hurliman on a friend's recommendation, and from the first visit I knew we had come to the right place. She took a lot of time to talk with us and explained our options thoroughly. She did all of my IVF procedures including egg retrieval, a fresh transfer (two embryos), and two frozen transfers (one embryo each transfer). I always felt confident knowing she was orchestrating my treatment. I needed two surgeries while I was in her care, and she connected me with surgical teams that she trusted, which really put my mind at ease. Even though she didn't do my surgeries, she followed up with me about them before and after to see how I was doing. I went through a lot while I was in Dr. H's care, including a twin pregnancy that ended with one blighted ovum (empty gestational sac) and a complicated ectopic pregnancy. It is heartbreaking to lose a pregnancy after years of trying to conceive, and Dr. Hurliman recognized that. She had just the right mix of compassion and professionalism that helped me get through that devastating time. Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment. I conceived again after our second frozen embryo transfer, and I continued in Dr. Hurliman's care through my first trimester. If she delivered babies, I would have loved to stay in her care through my whole pregnancy!
To the extent that you can, you can stop worrying about the medical aspects of your treatment while you are Dr. Hurliman's care. She has that covered, so you can spend that energy taking care of yourself instead.
Everyone in the office knew my name when I came in, including the receptionist, the nurses, and the phlebotomist. Dr. Hurliman was always professional and extremely knowledgable, and she was also kind. She took the time to ask us about other things in our lives besides infertility. She and the nurses happily answered all of my questions during my visits, and the nurses always responded to my calls and emails quickly. I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after survey to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us.
We had already been trying to conceive for four years when we started seeing Dr. Hurliman, and we went right to IVF. I received a detailed calendar for each cycle and treatment. It was really easy to follow my calendar, and when I had questions, my nurse always got back to me within a few hours.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather and Katy)
My nurses were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is professional and welcoming. They have everything really streamlined compared to the first clinic we went to. There was a clear process for talking with clinic staff about insurance, financial assistance, scheduling, and medical questions.
I can't remember the exact cost of our IVF cycle, but we put down a deposit before the cycle started, which was nice because we didn't need to pay for anything during my appointments. The office also did a great job of billing my insurance. And even though IVF wasn't covered, a lot of the office visits and lab work was.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hurliman] is smart, thorough, and compassionate. We always knew what to expect next as she is great about compassionately communicating all potential outcomes, good or bad. We never felt as though we were given false hope, realistic expectations were always communicated to us in a very caring way. And we always felt that if we had any questions or concerns outside of our appointments we could reach out to the clinic and Dr. Hurliman would respond in a very reasonable amount of time...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hurliman is the best of the best! She is smart, thorough, and compassionate. We always knew what to expect next as she is great about compassionately communicating all potential outcomes, good or bad. We never felt as though we were given false hope, realistic expectations were always communicated to us in a very caring way. And we always felt that if we had any questions or concerns outside of our appointments we could reach out to the clinic and Dr. Hurliman would respond in a very reasonable amount of time. We would highly recommend Dr. Hurliman to an couples seeking fertility treatments!
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Hurliman is very knowledgeable when it comes to fertility treatments. She will give you the facts, without building any false expectations. She is an expert at what she does, but know that fertility treatments don't work for everyone. Dr. Hurliman will tailor your treatment plan to you and your needs, which is why open communication is so vital in the process. Ask questions and provide feedback.
ORM's West clinic is small, which allows for very personalized service. Seeking fertility treatment can be a very scary and emotional process, but all of the staff at ORM was very friendly and compassionate throughout our entire treatment process. They knew us and our story, which helped us feel very comfortable and cared for. At ORM you are not just another number or patient, which is why fertility clinics should stay small. Small clinics with personalized service are few and far between when it comes to Western Medicine. Fertility treatments are a very emotional process for patients, keeping care personalized is imperative for successful outcomes. Thanks ORM!
I remember going to our first injection class, and we were the only patients in the class to be on a Good Responder Antagonist protocol. This was our first IVF process, and of course I was thinking there was something wrong with me because all the other patients in the class were on different protocols than I was. I was confused about why so many other patients were on Agonist protocols and I was not. When I asked Dr. Hurliman she explained in great detail why she had chose that protocol for me, giving me a piece of mind that she had chosen a protocol specific to me and my situation. For me, injections were never easy, and Dr. Hurliman knew that about me. So, prior to starting any new medication or injections Dr. Hurliman went over the purpose for each in detail to help us understand the process on both a small and large scale.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane & Heather Fivas)
Both Katy and Heather (Care Coordinators) were AMAZING! It was so nice to have caring, knowledgable Care Coordinators, as they serve as the link between patients and doctors. We always knew we could reach out the Katy or Heather at any time and we would be responded to very quickly. In addition to us being very satisfied with Dr. Hurliman, these two made our experience with ORM very positive. Dr. Hurliman has a great team, and they two ladies are a vital part of making the practice was it is! They continued to reach out to us to check in throughout our pregnancy. Half way through my pregnancy we needed to changed OBGYN clinics and Heather and Katy were there to assist with referrals. We now see a OBGYN that we are EXTREMELY pleased with. Thank you Katy & Heather!
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The ORM Westside clinic is fantastic! It is small and provides personalized service, the way it should be. From scheduling to the lab to the nursing staff, everyone knows you. You are not just another number in their system, you are a real live person, with a real live medical history.
IVF is expensive, there is no doubt. But, all the costs were stated up front as best as possible. The wildcard in associated costs were what your insurance will and will not cover, specifically related to prescriptions. But, I definitely feel as though all associated costs were stated up front.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Hurliman was amazing to work with. I always saw her for my appointment except for one IUI transfer out of 6. Although many of our encounters were brief it was usually because I had no questions as she had already answered all of them. However, when needed she spent the time explaining things to us or in reassuring us about how things were going. She was always concerned about how we were doing emotionally as well as physically. I would recommend her to anyone!
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions. She does a great job at communicating but everyone has different questions and there is no way to cover everything for everyone. She is one doctor who will not make you feel stupid or like you are taking up too much of her time if you ask the questions you are wondering about so do it.
Throughout the process she was always checking to see how we were doing emotionally. She also asked how life was going otherwise. Also even after a break from infertility treatments she remembered us.
Initially we tried to IUI with medication and did 6 rounds. We did 6 instead of the standard 4 because of cervical stenosis problems making it unclear whether the first 2 were as successful as they could have been. Due to my age (relatively young) and no other known risk factors or reasons for infertility it was thought it could be secondary to genetic issues either with my eggs or my husband's sperm. For that reason, when we decided to do IVF she recommended (although did not push) that we do CCS. It turns out that was a good idea as we had a low yield of embryos as compared to the number of eggs that were retrieved and of those embryos half had problems genetically. I did have problems with mild ovarian hyperstim but do not remember the specifics regarding the medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane)
Katy was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
It was very easy to check in and check out. The receptionist very early on learned who I was and would check me in without having to wait at the counter. The one issue I had with the clinic was it's billing process. At times it was very confusing - sometimes I would be asked to make a payment after a visit and sometimes I was told I was up to date but then would get a bill later in the mail. The bills were also very confusing regarding dates and what I was being billed for. The only other concern I had was with the scheduling. I would often ask for the earliest or latest appointment on a certain day and would be offered a time but I found if I said anything later or anything earlier? there typically was a later or earlier time available. So for new patient's, don't hesitate to continue asking about certain times if you need them rather than just taking what is offered.
Overall cost for the 6 IUIs was around $8000 including medication, ultrasounds, testing, and visits with Dr. Hurliman. 1 round of IVF with all the fixings =) (ICSI, CCS, medication, egg retrieval and transfer, tests, ultrasounds, visits with Dr. Hurliman, as well as post-transfer monitoring) was around $25,000. Insurance did not cover anything until after I became pregnant.
IUI, 1 IVF
She [Dr. Hurliman] is very good at adjusting her plan as needed so don't be afraid to talk to her about it...She gets to know you and your family. The treatment is very personalized so they need to know your lifestyle and needs... The initial treatment was very smooth and as we inched closer to ovarian stimulation, we found a cyst which would push back egg retrieval. Though it was very disappointing, Amanda comforted us in the process and explained why it should be postponed and when we could start back up. I saw her several times during this process...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Amanda is very thorough. She explained everything on the first day to us as if we had no knowledge of the procedures or options. Once we shared that we had done extensive research and knew what we wanted she skipped to details that would matter most to us. We explained we wanted to start as soon as possible so she immediately had us start the preliminary testing. This was very important to us as she was actually listening to what we wanted. The initial treatment was very smooth and as we inched closer to ovarian stimulation, we found a cyst which would push back egg retrieval. Though it was very disappointing, Amanda comforted us in the process and explained why it should be postponed and when we could start back up. I saw her several times during this process. Finally once it was gone, she continued the procedure just as promised. We even experienced an ice storm in the middle of the ovarian simulation process and were unable to get to an appointment the day before egg retrieval. Amanda thoroughly went through our his history and determined that the missed appointment would probably be okay, and it was. Egg retrieval was done the next day with another doctor but this was explained to us prior to it being done. Transfer was done roughly 6 weeks later with Amanda at the NW location which means she needed to leave her office to come to another facility for the procedure. She did a great job with the transfer, it was fast and professional. Amanda is extremely knowledgeable and has proven to be able to handle any situation that comes her way. I saw her most of my cycle with the exception of egg retrieval procedures. She was even willing to have a phone appointment. Thanks to Amanda, we are expecting a beautiful baby girl and baby boy in a few months. Amanda was so involved that we have promised to come see her once they are born!
It is very important to be straight forward with what you want or need. She is very good at adjusting her plan as needed so don't be afraid to talk to her about it.
Amanda and her team are very personable. She gets to know you and your family. The treatment is very personalized so they need to know your lifestyle and needs. It was a great experience.
We did the Ganirelix Protocol based on my test results. During the process, I took Doxycycline, Lupron, OCPs, Menopur, Ganirelix trigger shot, baby aspirin, daily injections of progesterone and twice a week injections of Estrogen (during and after transfer), suppositories of progesterone 3 times a day (after transfer). These were not all done at the same time. They were spaced as necessary.
Katy is very responsive and a pleasure to have assisting with care. She was always ensuring I was aware of the next steps and would check up on us throughout the process. I could email Katy at any time if I had concerns. She was always willing to work through concerns or issues or share in the joy of procedures that went well. She was definitely a key component to making this process work and I couldn't have imagined it without her.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The Clinic is very professional and has a pleasant feel to it. Staff is very helpful and willing to assist in getting you the care you need especially if the person you need is away. They were willing to work with me when I confused the time of my appointment and worked me in. You will want to keep track of your own payments and charges as sometimes they can't see that you have a credit on your account and ask for payment. Once you mention it, they will resolve it. We didn't get to speak with a financial counselor but it all worked out in the end. So if financial topics are your concern, be sure to request a meeting with your financial coordinator. I never had problems working with the financial staff when I was confused about billings and they were always willing to assist. The phlebotomist at Westside is the best (Geri). She was always pleasant and reassuring when I was there which was often. The office are updated and always extremely clean. There is no doubt they care about you, your care and the environment that you receive it in. Weekend Nurse staffing is excellent and helped put me at ease if I had concerns.
Costs are patient specific. They are broken into pre-treatment testing, phase 1 which will include any exams and egg retrieval procedures, Phase 2 which is your basic transfer charges. ICSI, Genetic Testing and other procedures you opt for will be in addition. The finance team will give you a great breakdown of the costs. Prescriptions are paid to the pharmacy you pick it up at and is not included in the cost estimate. Be aware if your cycle cancels, you will have additional costs due to the increased number of exams and visits. Acupuncture may be recommended so note that will be paid separately as well... but completely worth it. The first deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 1 and the second deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 2. All RML (laboratory) expenses are paid to ORM and they will coordinate payment to the lab.
Portland Westside
Dr. Hurliman is a compassionate and caring Dr. that you can tell truly cares about her patients. She explained everything to us throughly and I never felt like I was uninformed about what the plan was or what the next step would be. Going through fertility help was one of the most difficult and heart wrenching experiences I've ever gone through and I needed a Dr. like her that was gentle and caring but also didn't give false hope. I felt like I knew what we were up against but I had a team that went beyond my husband and I that was going to do everything in their power to give us our dream of becoming parents...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Go into the experience knowing that if it is possible they will get you there! Expect a caring Dr. that will keep you well informed and wants the best for you.
I felt as though I had a relationship with Dr. Hurliman where I was able to completely trust that she cared about us and truly wanted to see us through as parents. I felt like she truly knew us on a personal level and could tell when I was worried or nervous about something without me even having to say that I was and she took the extra time to explain things to me as well as encourage me without giving false hope.
We were very hesitant to go do ivf and wanted to try several cycles of iui first and use ivf as the absolute last result. Dr. Hurliman let us do 4 or 5 cycles of iui before we went into the ivf process. During that time I was on letrozole and trigger shots and my husband was on clomid. Once we started the ivf process my husband continued the clomid while I started on injections and birth control. I do not remember all the names of the meds during this time or the dosage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katy Shane)
Katy was completely on top of it! We absolutely loved her and are so thankful she was our nurse. She was always available to answer questions we had (which were many) and I knew she was always just a call away. She was so incredibly supportive, caring and informative. I honestly can't express enough how much I appreciate her and the rest of the staff
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
I have nothing but positive things to say about this clinic. From the Dr.'s to the receptionist we had nothing but postie experiences with everyone.
It was over $20,000
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Hurliman is a very nice woman. Like many doctors she is sometimes over burdened. I had to make sure and ask questions, otherwise I sometimes felt that things were not thoroughly explained. She is good at explaining things and I felt like she gave us all the facts, with reasonable expectations.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hurliman is a very nice woman. Like many doctors she is sometimes over burdened. I had to make sure and ask questions, otherwise I sometimes felt that things were not thoroughly explained. She is good at explaining things and I fell like she gave us all the facts, with reasonable expectations.
Ask questions! Be your own heath care advocate. Sometimes she gets busy, remind her, or ask questions.
I like dr. Hurliman and her staff at the west side location. She is always friendly and honest. You have to be assertive and ask questions, otherwise a lot may be left unexplained or unsaid.
My husband and I had 3 rounds of IUI. One with Chlomid and two with Femara. Both were unsuccessful. We tried naturally for 6 months, then proceeded to IVF with ICSI with a fresh transfer. I responded well to the femara and chlomid so I was put on a good responder antagonist protocol which was perfect for me. I deviated from my original IVF calendar by only one day of additional meds. We did a fresh transfer and I am now 5 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Heather Fivas)
I loved Heather. She gave me her e-mail and I was able to do a lot of corresponding with her that way. She was always prompt, and compassionate. No question was too small which I greatly appreciated. She was so down to earth and made me feel as if all of my fears and questions were perfectly reasonable.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
West side is great. I feel like the downtown location is sometimes lacking in bedside manner as far as the nurses and receptionists are concerned. The phlebotamist at the west side location (Jerri) is my favorite. She just makes the whole thing easier.
So expensive! IVF in total was probably about 20K with ICSI, No CCS testing. fresh transfer
Portland Westside
As a patient, I feel like there was an overall lack of a compassionate bedside manner. This does not just apply to Dr. Hurliman, but to most of the staff I encountered at the clinic. I definitely felt like I was just a number and a dollar sign. For something so personal to me and my husband, I feel like Dr. Hurliman knew nothing about us as people and didn't even try to get to know us. In and out... as quickly as possible.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Take time to get to know your patients. Offer more information... not just when prompted by questions. It's hard to know what to ask when you're just starting down the infertility path.
Dr. Hurliman always seemed rushed when I saw her like she had to move quickly in order to get to another patient. She wouldn't readily give information out, it felt like I had to dig for answers and ask all of the questions.
Dr. Hurliman only prescribed clomid for me with IUI's. I wish she would have told me injectibles with IUI were a possibility. I was probably on clomid for too long, according to my new RE, who switched my protocol immediately upon reviewing my case.
The best person at ORM is the phlebotomist. She drew my blood perfectly, on the first time, every time. I just felt lost in the shuffle by the rest of the staff at ORM.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
In my opinion, the weaknesses of this clinic include an OVERALL LACK OF COMPASSION for patients, improper billing of insurance, failure to explain treatment options and procedures thoroughly without prompting. The strengths would be that it's open every day if you need to get in for an appointment.
As mentioned before, ORM will make you pay up front for some things (like medication) without billing your insurance first. My insurance was not too pleased with that protocol.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Hurliman and her team really care about their patients, and I received amazing support during my three IVF cycles...She is a brilliant doctor that listens to her patients, laughed with me on the good days, and offered compassion on the tough days. I always felt like she was on MY team. I wasn’t just a number. She deeply cared about me and kept tweaking my IVF cycles/meds to try and help me succeed in having the baby I desired so deeply. I have tears in my eyes as I’m writing this...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
I did three IVF cycles with Dr. Hurliman, and she was amazing throughout the entire process. I was diagnosed with DOR a few months before my 34th birthday. We were trying for our second child, and the diagnosis totally devastated me. I cried through the entire first few meetings my husband and I had with Dr. Hurliman. She was very kind, but let me know that my chance of success was more in-line with the over 43 year old group (my FSH was very high 21.42). Dr. Hurliman suggested donor eggs would be my best chance of success, but I wasn't ready for that and wanted to try with my own eggs. Dr. Hurliman listened to me, and we came up with a plan to move forward. I never felt that she pushed donor eggs on me, and I greatly appreciated that. However, she did provide realistic expectations - My chance of success using my own eggs was low. My first two cycles were canceled at different stages of the IVF process. My third IVF cycle wasn't looking much better (only 2 mature follicles). Dr. Hurliman gave me the option to cancel that cycle or proceed. I decided I had zero chance of success if I didn't try, so I went forward with the retrieval. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development, but I decided to proceed with the fresh transfer. On the day of the transfer I remember telling my nurse Heather “It’s a beautiful day for a miracle." I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. There were many times during this process that Dr. Hurliman could of gave up on me. With my high FSH she could of refused me service from the time I first walked in her door like many other fertility clinics would of done, but she didn’t. She could of let me know I wasn’t a candidate for IVF using my own eggs, but she didn’t. She could of canceled my third cycle without giving me the option to proceed, but she didn’t. Dr. Hurliman never gave up on me, and I love her for it. I wouldn’t have my miracle baby without her. She is a brilliant doctor that listens to her patients, laughed with me on the good days, and offered compassion on the tough days. I always felt like she was on MY team. I wasn’t just a number. She deeply cared about me and kept tweaking my IVF cycles/meds to try and help me succeed in having the baby I desired so deeply. I have tears in my eyes as I’m writing this. It was a rough year, but we did it Dr. H!!! My baby girl is perfect in every way, and we love her so much. There are no words to express how grateful we are to Dr. Hurliman. I highly recommend her to anyone needing fertility services.
Get as healthy as you can for your fertility treatment(s). I lost 25 lbs., ate only organic foods - lots of fruits and vegetables, followed an alkaline diet, eliminated foods from my diet (sugar, caffeine, wheat, dairy and alcohol), took a bunch of herbal supplements & Chinese herbal tea, walked an hour or more daily, quit my job as a graphic designer to reduce stress in my life, listened to the Circle+Bloom IVF & IUI relaxation and meditation CDs every night, and did acupuncture twice a week (moxa sticks & hot foot baths too!). I'm not sure if any of these things helped or not, but I know it helped me emotionally. Gave me a sense of control in a situation I had no control over. It helped to be working toward something. Dr. Hurliman didn't suggest theses things specifically, so do your own research and try things that make sense to you. Even if it seems crazy - who cares! Dosen't hurt to try things. I know I was desperate for a successful outcome, and now I have my little miracle.
Me = 34 years old; Diagnosis = DOR; AMH = 0.33; FSH = 21.42; Husband = Low sperm count. IVF Cycle 1 = Lupron 40 Flare with Omnitrope protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. We thought we had 4 mature follicles, but ended up just having 3 mature eggs at collection. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development so we gave it an extra day. It arrested and the cycle was canceled. IVF Cycle 2 = Antagonist protocol converted to HMG/IUI. Follistim 150. Only 2 mature follicles, so we thought we could do better and canceled the cycle before egg collection. The IUI was unsuccessful. This was the 4th IUI I tried (3 with my OBGYN before I came to ORM - all unsuccessful). IVF Cycle 3 = Estrogen Priming Antagonist protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. Only two mature follicles, two mature eggs collected, one egg fertilized, and day 5 it was a day behind in development but we went ahead with the fresh transfer on day 5. I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. I am so thankful to my ORM team!
I LOVE Heather!!! I always looked forward to seeing her at all my appointments. Sitting and talking with her was like talking to a lifelong friend. She cares so much about her patients, and would do anything to help me during this very difficult process. I truly don't know what I would of done with out her. She made a huge difference in my treatment. My husband was out of town a lot for work during my IVF cycles, so I had to administer all the shots to myself. I kept messing up my doses, and Heather would always laugh with me and show me what I was doing wrong. She even drew a bullseye on my rear end for the progesterone shots. One cycle I did 8 shots a day, the other two I did six. It was such a stressful time, and I wanted to make sure I did everything correctly. A few times I cried in frustration to Heather, and she always did anything she could to help. I had difficulty with one med in particular, and for my last cycle she even put all the doses in syringes for me so I didn't have to worry about getting it right. After I got pregnant, and I would come in for my scans to make sure everything was alright, I remember her waiting outside my door with tears in her eyes hoping for good news. Heather was rooting for me every step of the way. She will forever have a friend in me. She went above and beyond her role at ORM, and I will forever be grateful to her. Love that girl!!!
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Very pleased with Dr. Hurliman, nurse Heather Fivas, and the rest of their staff. I did have some issues with billing that were resolved quickly. I was sent a few bills for misc. things when I had already paid the deposit. I contacted the billing department and they told me to ignore the bills they were an error. After I became pregnant I had to contact billing for a refund of the credit we had with them. This was not an issue, just something to be aware of. It's not automatically refunded after a successful pregnancy. Also, when we first became patients at ORM my husband went in to provide a sperm sample for freezing, and he was told he needed to take a few tests before he could leave his sample. He didn't realize that ORM hadn't received our medical records from Kaiser yet, and he had already taken the tests - $500 wasted. Make sure ORM has received your medical records before leaving sperm samples!
ORM 3 rounds of IVF (2 rounds canceled at different stages) = $28,551.00 Medications = $16,256.67 Acupuncture = $3,600 Oregon Anesthesiology = $1,134 Labs/IUI's outside of ORM = $1,458.33 TOTAL COST = $51,000 Kaiser only covered the IUI's we did with them - Not our IVF treatments. The itemized info above was 100% out of pocket. Worth every penny!!!
Poor Egg Quality, Other
I feel like Dr. Hurliman is very invested in our case. She has been very supportive and I feel she is truly rooting for us to have success.... My wife and I have had many struggles throughout this process. Dr. Hurliman has always been able to give us hope that the next step will work. Each step of this process is difficult to cope with and process. Dr. Hurliman has been able to aid us through the hurt of not yet having success and instilling hope for the next attempt. Each time we have a set back Dr. Hurliman has been able to adjust our process to give us the best chance for success.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Be patient. This process doesn't just happen over night, and it is easy to get caught up in the instant gratification environment of today. Dr. Hurliman takes time for your relationship to build but with patience it is a rewarding one. She is. Invested in her patience.
Every member of the team is very supportive. I feel that they are invested in our success and have felt the disappointment with the lack there of.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The transition between the two locations is both convenient and difficult. It's nice to have a consistent location where you go every time, but I enjoy the fresh change meeting at a different location. The rotation of doctors conducting the procedures can seem daunting but there are several sets of eyes on your case.
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr. Hurliman was very nice and explained things to my husband and I. We were mostly happy with our care but once we had a positive pregnancy result I feel like that was all that was important to her. When we lost our babies there was no follow up.... We did injectables with egg retrival then chromosonal screening on the embryos and froze them. Transfer of one embryo was done as it was the only one with normal chromosomes
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you ask questions through the whole process. You are spending a lot of money and it is a very emotional process. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand something!
I felt like she cared but once there was a postive pregnancy result after 9 weeks I was released to my regular obgyn. When we lost our twins at 12 weeks and I notified the office they never really outreached to me like they cared.
I feel like the nursing staff was most helpful. There was one nurse that was always so kind and helpful whenever I called with questions. I'm sorry I can't remember her name.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The nursing staff was so easy to work with, understanding, and helpful. To them I never felt like just a number. They were always there when I had a question and if not would always get back in touch with me quickly.
We payed 30,000 for services and medication
Portland Westside
Dr. Hurliman is a great communicator who doesn't beat around the bush, but shows compassion. She is an expert in her field, but is not cocky and is easy to talk to. She was always willing to take extra time to answer any questions we had...Don't be afraid to ask questions. No matter how stupid you might think the question is, Dr. Hurliman will always give you an honest answer and never make you feel dumb for asking...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Hurliman and all the staff knew myself and my partner by name.
First, we did three unmedicated cycles of iui. The final three rounds I was on Clomid. The fourth iui resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am 10 weeks pregnant from the 6th iui. For the first few cycles they did a baseline ultra sound. For all the cycles they did a mid cycle ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Whitney )
Whitney was who I talked to when I called in with questions or frustrations. She was absolutely amazing! She was always so patient and never rushed me off the phone. More than once I called crying and confused, and she took the time to comfort me and calm me down. She is filled with hope, but also very realistic. Any question she didn't immediately know the answer to, she would ask Heather and get an answer. Everybody at the clinic was awesome!
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The staff at the clinic was very easy to reach and communicate with.
Other, Unexplained
Dr Hurliman was very knowledgeable and always communicated what the plan was. She did not come across warm or compassionate which made me feel like a number or that she didn’t seem to care. While we always knew what the immediate next step was, I found it frustrating to not know more specifics about the next 2 or three steps depending on how things went.... She switched us to Letrazole. Her explication was that in her experience it worked better for people in my situation.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
To be aware that She does not come across warm or fuzzy
At times I felt as though because we weren’t to the point of spending thousands that we were less important.
Prior to seeing Dr Hurliman we had been using Clomid. She switched us to Letrazole. Her explication was that in her experience it worked better for people in my situation.
Mostly interacted via email with Katy as I think we saw a couple different nurses during our apointments. But the couple times I remember seeing her she was kind, compassionate and easy to talk to.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Overall the clinic felt a little cold to me (emotionally not physical temp) would have liked to feel more compassion during the difficult infertility struggle. They are good at answering questions except when it’s related to the plan ahead more then one step. I found that hard. And The facility is very clean.
The clinic was able to bill my insurance for a couple small tests but 95% was out of pocket.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Hurliman is direct, honest, and straightforward. She shows great compassion when needed and I really feel like she’s genuinely trying to help us conceive successfully. She is promptly on time usually and has aided in necessary decision making.... I feel like I can trust what Dr. Hurliman recommends for me. She always maintains eye contact and is direct, doesn’t sugar coat things.... Antagonist protocol- no birth control pills.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
She encourages you to ask questions so don’t hesitate to ask her any questions for clarification.
Compassionate, honest care. I feel like I can trust what Dr. Hurliman recommends for me. She always maintains eye contact and is direct, doesn’t sugar coat things.
Antagonist protocol- no birth control pills. 2 vials of Menopur, 300 units of Follistim, baby Aspirin, pre Natals. Ganarelix was added on cycle day 9. Lots of bloating as a side effect and a 5 pound weight gain. Started off with 6 follicles, but only had 2 by the end of stims on cycle Day 12. Cycle was converted to IUI.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Great clinic with clear communication and expectations. They offer IVF classes which prepare you complete and answer all of your questions. The clinic is always clean. Staff is kind and friendly. I sometimes felt rushed but that’s to be expected at such a busy clinic.
Very expensive. Spent $34,000 last year and no baby yet.
Strong preference on single embryo transfers for women over 35.
Portland Westside
She [Dr. Hurliman] comes across very "matter-of-fact" with less compassion or emotion than I'm used to. On the other hand, she was very professional and helped us get pregnant so I really can't complain with the overall experience...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
She comes across very "matter-of-fact" with less compassion or emotion than I'm used to. On the other hand, she was very professional and helped us get pregnant so I really can't complain with the overall experience.
I trusted her treatment plan for my husband and I and never questioned why she was doing what she was doing. It worked and that's what matters most. She just won't give you the "warm and fuzzies".
The demeanor of Dr. Hurliman is very matter-of-fact / black and white. I'm just not totally used to that style of treatment.
I can't remember much of the specifics and why she decided they were right for us. I do remember that we kept our trust in her throughout the process and tried to be patient.
Katy was easy to work with. Sometimes I got the feeling like I was "bugging" her. Overall, I was pleased with our encounters and enjoyed dealing with her and the rest of the staff.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very professional, organized, and comfortable. The staff was very pleasant to work with (esp. the women who would check us in and take our blood).
Unfortunately, our insurance did not cover any services coded as "infertility" so overall, the experience was very expensive.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hurliman] explained every step with great details and drawings. I still have them today. She made us feel comfortable. She gave us options while also inserting her opinion. She followed up with me even when not necessary...She tells it like it is. Very matter of fact but also is compassionate....She listened well and you could tell she wanted to help us have a family....IUI with femara only 1 time since I had done this 4 times prior without success. She recommended I do this 6 times total but the last one was cancelled due to a cyst
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
She explained every step with great details and drawings. I still have them today. She made us feel comfortable. She gave us options while also inserting her opinion. She followed up with me even when not necessary.
She tells it like it is. Very matter of fact but also is compassionate.
She listened well and you could tell she wanted to help us have a family.
IUI with femara only 1 time since I had done this 4 times prior without success. She recommended I do this 6 times total but the last one was cancelled due to a cyst. Once we moved to IVF I was prepared for a frozen transfer due to the large amount of eggs they were expected to receive since I have PCOS. I did injectables in the abdomen for 10-14 days in early October and then I had my frozen transfer in mid December. I started progesterone and estradiol injections in November, progesterone daily and estradiol twice weekly. This continued until mid February.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
They were almost always on time. There are so many options when calling that it is hard to get to who you want to talk to without waiting several minutes.
Around $25,000 total.
I hear of some clinics where they will only let you transfer one embryo the first time so I wondered why we had the option of 1 or 2. Our goal was to have one baby but so much had failed and I didn't want to go through more injections and another transfer so we chose 2. I ended up having horribly complicated pregnancy because my body/uterus/cervix could not handle two babies but no one could have predicted that.
Portland Westside
She [Dr. Amanda Hurliman] was friendly but very blunt. She was knowledgeable and use big words so it's hard to understand the treatment routes and exactly which one would be more successful more expensive less expensive. But over all our experience wasn't horrible... I was fairly Young when my husband and I went to her. We kept getting told by every doctor that we were too young and just keep trying 5 years later getting pregnant naturally had a baby girl. Now been ttc baby #2 for over a year now and nothing.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
She was friendly but very blunt. She was knowledgeable and use big words so it's hard to understand the treatment routes and exactly which one would be more successful more expensive less expensive. But over all our experience wasn't horrible
Felt like both! I was fairly Young when my husband and I went to her. We kept getting told by every doctor that we were too young and just keep trying 5 years later getting pregnant naturally had a baby girl. Now been ttc baby #2 for over a year now and nothing.
Did Clomid 3 rounds not all with her with monitoring was told ivf would be our best bet
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Wish they made feel more at home or comfortable with them than they did. I wish they cared more like I said I felt like a number more than a patient feel like they were just trying to get money out of me understand IVF is what I was told old but of course during that time I needed to save for it and during that time of saving for it I ended up looking natural herbs up and getting pregnant that way I just wish I would have had more help
Way out of my spending limits :(
Portland Westside
She [Dr. Hurliman] was pleasant but did not offer any information or advice unless specifcally asked. No emotion perceived. just facts.... Didn't feel she had any personal opinions/advice. unexplained infertility...my lab results were not interpreted to me. I can view online portal but the values don't mean anything to me. My fsh was high and i wasnt made aware of it. concerned about pcos.... recommended a naturopath
Ashkenazi Jewish, Native American, Other
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Didn't feel she had any personal opinions/advice. unexplained infertility.... No explanation of lab results. Went to an accupunturist and she reviewed my labs, noticed my fsh levels were high so she was concerned about pcos.... recommended a naturopath.. why Dr. Hurliman never mentioned it is beyond me.
Come prepared with lots of questions because it's like pulling teeth to get her to tell you anything.
She was pleasant but did not offer any information or advice unless specifcally asked. No emotion perceived. just facts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Sensitive & compassionate
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Staff is very warm and friendly, but Billing dept is not on-site and difficult to reach and communicate with. Pay in person at the time of each visit to avoid the billing department. Insurance coverage for basic labs is confusing. No straight answers.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
[Dr. Amanda Hurliman was] Caring and took the time to talk with and check in...She very thoroughly explained with pictures what was happening with my ovaries, pcos. Helpful for me to understand how hormones were working. Was gentle with encouragement to lower bmi but didn't say I couldn't pursue treatment. Did have some issues after using trigger shots a few months in a row, decided to check uterus by more than just ultrasound and found polyp.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Be open. Ask questions. Discuss expectations. Dr. Hurliman will have a conversation with you and help walk you through.
Caring and took the time to talk with and check in.
Letrozole with trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Oregon Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
People took the time to put me at ease. Showed me how to do a trigger shot. Compassionate when we didn't have success.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
The waiting area is small, at peterkort. Not completely private if discussing anything near waiting room or front desk. There are rooms for meeting and of course exam rooms. Artwork in waiting area was dark.
Labs, medications, visits, tests, ultrasounds. All out of pocket.
Portland Lovejoy (Closed)
Dr Hurliman sat down at every visit with us and made us feel like we were her only patient. She went into detail about each step of the IVF/IUI process and answered any questions that we had. I like to know every detail and I was more than satisfied that she disclosed all information, good or bad...It is a process and be prepared for many appointments! If you have questions, make sure to ask them!!!
Katy was the best nurse I could ever ask for! She was prompt in answering questions and didn't rush us out the door.
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
At the very beginning of the IUI process there was some scheduling problems. I was rescheduled a few times and it became an issue, especially when you have to arrange time off work.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Hurliman was always very nice, polite and really made us feel like sure cared about us and our attempts to get pregnant...
European, Other
PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Oregon Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic was always welcoming. Had no issues with availability even on the weekends. All doctors and nurses we worked with were nice and helpful.
Portland Westside
[Dr. Hurliman was a] very good doctor. We were treated with respect and had successful iui on first attempt...My care team didn't really get to know me but never mixed me up with anyone else either.
European, South Asian
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at Oregon Reproductive Medicine?
Very good doctor. We were treated with respect and had successful iui on first attempt