Oregon Health & Science

Portland, OR 97225
503.274.4994

Treated 2020
Investment Banker
Working with Dr Hurliman has been fantastic. She is a clear communicator and up front with what I need to know. When Pandemic hit, it wasn’t a receptionist who called me, it was Amanda. She had a plan, options, direction during a time that is guaranteed to add stress. She’s always made me feel seen, heard, understood....I can to Dr Hurliman after 8 failed 8 IUIs elsewhere. While she was kind to not jump straight to an IVF recommendation, I knew I needed to consider it. I don’t have a partner to hash out scenarios with so she ran through the different decisions I had and was so patient while I decided
Allison is my care coordinator and I’m SO THANKFUL she’s on my team. She’s met every question with clear answers and great knowledge to support my needs. She’s responsive and helped me work through the many details.... They [ORM] are amazing. I highly recommend them. The clinic has a Warm atmosphere. Their staff are welcoming and kind with high levels of empathy and compassion. The space is modern and clean. They have a clear process and great flow in their work.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Come with questions - she wants to answer them! She is ready and has lots of experience with different patient scenarios.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr Hurliman had read my history prior to my arrival and immediately addressed the challenges I had faced prior. She was warm, patient, and answered all my questions.
Describe the protocols Amanda Hurliman used in your cycles at ORM Fertility and their degree of success.
I can to Dr Hurliman after 8 failed 8 IUIs elsewhere. While she was kind to not jump straight to an IVF recommendation, I knew I needed to consider it. I don’t have a partner to hash out scenarios with so she ran through the different decisions I had and was so patient while I decided. Ultimately, we settled on IVF as best course of action. It’s been put on hold with the Covid Pandemic, but I am clear on next steps as the clinic prepares for reengaging patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They are amazing. I highly recommend them. The clinic has a Warm atmosphere. Their staff are welcoming and kind with high levels of empathy and compassion. The space is modern and clean. They have a clear process and great flow in their work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.
Initial appointment was around $350. The rest is projected in the $15,000-$25,000 range.
Describe Amanda Hurliman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ORM Fertility.
We are doing single embryo. It’s my preferred. But it’s also her practice for those in my position.
Portland Westside

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Given she [Dr. Amanda Hurilman] is a mother of twins, she's able to give a real-life and medical opinion on the topic [of Eset]. With her guidance, we decided to go for a single transfer in order to reduce risk and increase chance of live birth...was very patient, yet direct about our specific needs. She is a nice balance of direct and warm...She was understanding in our desire to seek a very specific type of outside egg donor, and further supported us in vetting potential donors. She was especially helpful in providing input on key decisions, such as whether or not to transfer 2 embryos to a GC, explaining her own experience as a mother of twins, and then supporting with her medical opinion (re: risks). All in, we are very satisfied.
Hayley [nurse at is great. She is very thorough in explaining the process...The doctor's are very professional and their vetting process for egg donors is very strong. Further, they have strong relationships with local surrogacy agencies and conduct medical vetting for potential surrogates, ensuring a high bar for prospective surrogates prior to being considered for match... we have only been through the diagnostics and donor portion of the process. Abstinence was used in order to provide for optimal sperm samples. Nurse
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr Hurliman was very helpful in explaining how the different options related to the IVF and surrogate cycle relate to live births and outcomes. She was understanding in our desire to seek a very specific type of outside egg donor, and further supported us in vetting potential donors. She was especially helpful in providing input on key decisions, such as whether or not to transfer 2 embryos to a GC, explaining her own experience as a mother of twins, and then supporting with her medical opinion (re: risks). All in, we are very satisfied.
Spend time to prepare before having your consultation with her. Speak to ORMs nurses and potential surrogacy agencies to get background so that Dr Hurliman can best guide you. If prepared, she will...
Dr Hurliman was very patient, yet direct about our specific needs. She is a nice balance of direct and warm.
Given we are in the middle of IVF, we have only been through the diagnostics and donor portion of the process. Abstinence was used in order to provide for optimal sperm samples.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Hayley Swanson)
Hayley is great. She is very thorough in explaining the process.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM has the 2nd highest live birth (IVF success metric) rate, therefore it is attractive as a fertility clinic. The doctor's are very professional and their vetting process for egg donors is very strong. Further, they have strong relationships with local surrogacy agencies and conduct medical vetting for potential surrogates, ensuring a high bar for prospective surrogates prior to being considered for match.
$42,000 for the core IVF treatment (incl 2 sperm donors) plus $7k for egg donor, $5k for PGT/a genetic testing, and other misc. expenses.
Yes - Dr Hurliman is fabulous in this capacity. Given she is a mother of twins, she's able to give a real-life and medical opinion on the topic. With her guidance, we decided to go for a single transfer in order to reduce risk and increase chance of live birth.
Treated 2017 - 2019
She [Dr. Amanda Hurliman] remembered our individual history and her concern and care feels genuine...We were never made to feel judged or poorly as to question our decision making process even when we chose to pursue more conservative treatment, despite it did not concur with her recommendation for ideal treatment; we were aware of the statistics of our choices, and those were honored and respected. We never were made to feel pressured or rushed to follow through with her next step recommendation. I’ve never felt judged. She is also honest and doesn’t hesitate to answer slightly direct or difficult questions (like the providers at ORM are stakeholders as owners); I also felt she is able to separate bias or potential personal gain from sound and fair clinical judgements. I find her to be honest, trustworthy, down-to-earth, and reassuring. She has alleviated a lot of anxieties around I fertility. I feel good about our decision of having switched to ORM with Dr. Hurliman in particular.
The downtown clinic parking lot [of ORM Fertility] (you must use for IVF) is barely functional due to size...The diagnostic workup is as thorough as one can imagine with no stones unturned; the treatment plan choices are based on individual factors and not a generic hit list...[The nurses were] Very organized. Quick response time. Exceptional communication within the team. Quite punctual. Gentle blood draws...currently ORM does a single transfer the first time. A two-embryo transfer is not considered until a first transfer fails.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She is succinct and honest, as well as completely professional. She doesn’t go into as much detail as I prefer, but I’ve always had opportunity to ask questions. She is thorough and thoughtful in her responses. She does a thorough chart review so she isn’t asking redundant questions, and clarifying questions are appropriate. We were never made to feel judged or poorly as to question our decision making process even when we chose to pursue more conservative treatment, despite it did not concur with her recommendation for ideal treatment; we were aware of the statistics of our choices, and those were honored and respected. We never were made to feel pressured or rushed to follow through with her next step recommendation. I’ve never felt judged. She is also honest and doesn’t hesitate to answer slightly direct or difficult questions (like the providers at ORM are stakeholders as owners); I also felt she is able to separate bias or potential personal gain from sound and fair clinical judgements. I find her to be honest, trustworthy, down-to-earth, and reassuring. She has alleviated a lot of anxieties around I fertility. I feel good about our decision of having switched to ORM with Dr. Hurliman in particular.
Don’t be shy to ask questions as she is very receptive to clarify anything that is creating uncertainty or stress. Also, if you’re someone who prefers a what-you-see-is-what-you-get personality and a friendly introvert for a provider, she’s the doctor for you. If you need a bubbly extrovert provider who will small talk or schmooze, make a different selection if that is your personality preference.
She remembered our individual history and her concern and care feels genuine.
The diagnostic workup is as thorough as one can imagine with no stones unturned; the treatment plan choices are based on individual factors and not a generic hit list. We pursued IUIs and Clomid then Femara fully understanding she recommended IVF as ideal treatment; this was due to fear of what-ifs associated with cost, and our bad experience with a different physician at another facility with janky IVF before ORM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth S.)
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Their costs are a the high end of the spectrum, probably because of the cost of their state of the art facility, and SART success (so they can command a higher fee schedule). The downtown clinic parking lot (you must use for IVF) is barely functional due to size.
IUI cost is mainly related to the number of ultrasounds each cu or required, so a firm figure isn’t helpful.
I’d read different things online, and paradigms change, but currently ORM does a single transfer the first time. A two-embryo transfer is not considered until a first transfer fails.
Portland Downtown
Amanda [Dr. Hurliman] prefers single embryo transfer vs multiple embryo transfer...She took her time to sit down and review my health history...was a good physician. We were honest about our options and financial situation. I was a little upset that she could not make any recommendation on my situation both about my health and financial situation that did not involve IVF treatments or give me names of Doctors I might be able to see due to my situation.
The clinic [ORM Fertility] as a whole seems somewhat uncoordinated. Their scheduling was very limited. Communications at times was difficult. The staff is very nice. Registering through their portal was very easy. It was nice for me to be able to upload my 100+ OB history to the portal...not notified until the day before my appointment that my insurance would not cover my visits. I was not given a reason why the insurance would not cover my visits.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman was a good physician. We were honest about our options and financial situation. I was a little upset that she could not make any recommendation on my situation both about my health and financial situation that did not involve IVF treatments or give me names of Doctors I might be able to see due to my situation.
I would not see Amanda if you are not looking to use IVF.
She took her time to sit down and review my health history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Haley Swanson)
The office looked liked they has a good routine of handling patients. I was not impressed with the financial coordinator that reviewed my insurance. I as not notified until the day before my appointment that my insurance would not cover my visits. I was not given a reason why the insurance would not cover my visits. At times, the staff seemed uncoordinated. I got moved around to several different rooms in one visit and was misguided as to where I needed to go, resulting in almost missing a meeting with the coordinator before leaving an appointment. In one of my exams, the directions as to what I needed to do was unclear, as the nurse was too shy to directly explain what she needed me to do.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic as a whole seems somewhat uncoordinated. Their scheduling was very limited. Communications at times was difficult. The staff is very nice. Registering through their portal was very easy. It was nice for me to be able to upload my 100+ OB history to the portal.
To speak with the doctor for a consultation, blood test and ultrasound, testing and to speak with the doctor about the results it cost me about $1000 out of pocket
Amanda prefers single embryo transfer vs multiple embryo transfer
Treated 2016 - 2019
[Dr.] Amanda [Hurliman] is wonderful and warm. She helped us to conceive our first child and we have been working with her for the past year to conceive another child. We saw her for all but two appointments In that time frame and she always is kind, and warm. She cried with us when we had to terminate a pregnancy and was encouraging at the same time about future success. She’s just wonderful.
I think ORM is one of the best. It’s clean, nice and the staff that you meet in person seem to be very caring. I did feel like the Integrative Medicine Doctor was not always on the same page as my doctor which was confusing but I always referred to my doctor as she was the one managing my care. The atmosphere was always wonderful and welcoming and they were able to be very flexible with appointment times to meet my schedule
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Amanda is wonderful and warm. She helped us to conceive our first child and we have been working with her for the past year to conceive another child. We saw her for all but two appointments In that time frame and she always is kind, and warm. She cried with us when we had to terminate a pregnancy and was encouraging at the same time about future success. She’s just wonderful.
It would be to be patient and ask questions. Fertility is not always an easy process
Amanda was amazing. She was there for us every time there was a disappointing false pregnancy test and cried with us when we had to terminate a pregnancy that she helped us achieve. She always asked how I was and explained everything in the best manner possible.
My first IUI was letrozole 5mg, resulted in pregnancy Second IUI was letrozole 5mg, did not result in pregnancy Third IUI was letrozole 5mg, ovulated on my own as one follicle dominated, did not result in pregnancy. Fourth IUI was letrozole 7.5mg, did not result in pregnancy Fifth IUI, 7.5mg letrozole, resulted in pregnancy that was terminated at 16 weeks due to chromosomal abnormalities. IVF - antagonist good responder protocol. egg retrieval was cancelled on day 3 of meds because dominant ovaries were taking over. Currently on OCP overlap protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison skalbeck)
Our coordinator Allison has been great. She has been very helpful in answering my questions and giving me an idea of what the schedule may be like before it happens so that I can plan work and life.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Our doctor has recommended a single embryo transfer. She said this is her recommendation for most couples
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
I wouldn’t consider this something wrong at all but the Integrative medicine specialist said i needed to have fewer than 2-4 drinks per week in the months leading up treatment and my doctor said if I wanted a beer a day that was fine.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Hurliman’s strengths: she was patient and kind and showed compassion. She was able to explain things clearly and even drew pictures to help explain the process. Weaknesses: this isn’t a weakness of dr. Hurliman specifically but infertility treatment is extremely expensive and she would offer up suggestions on next steps without ever discussing cost (minus saying that the next treatment would be “expensive”). It’s hard to make a decision without having all of the information (including financial info).
The downtown clinic [ORM] feels very cold and run like a bank. Every time you leave the front desk people would ask for money towards your balance (even though there were still claims out to insurance etc.) The south clinic is great. ... I love Elizabeth and Jeri [nursing]. No matter what bad news I was facing that day - they always made me feel warm and welcomed.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Get all the facts before embarking on this journey. It’s time consuming and emotional. Dealing with the cost in addition to the stress can be overwhelming. Write your questions down and take all the time you need
Amanda Hurliman seemed like she really cared about our journey and would ask personal questions to get to know us. I never felt rushed. She patiently answered all of our questions.
I was on an agonist treatment cycle. I used menopur injections and follistim for egg retrieval. First time I had 22 eggs collected but only 4 made it to blastocyst and then only 1 was genetically viable. Transfer prep was progesterone injections (which are painful!) and endometrin suppositories (which are gross). Transfer resulted in a positive pregnancy test, but at 6 weeks it was a blighted ovum and I miscarried. Second attempt was the same protocol with the addition of omnitrope, human growth hormone, which is supposed to help increase quality. 24 eggs were collected and again only 4 made it to blastocyst and none were genetically viable for transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth )
I love Elizabeth and Jeri. No matter what bad news I was facing that day - they always made me feel warm and welcomed.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The downtown clinic feels very cold and run like a bank. Every time you leave the front desk people would ask for money towards your balance (even though there were still claims out to insurance etc.) The south clinic is great.
Each IVF cycle was approximately $13k
Amanda Hurliman seemed to be very conservative and let us know that she would only ever transfer 1 embryo at a time. We only had the 1 so it wasn’t an issue but I would’ve liked to have a choice and assume the risk as the patient (and the one paying for this)
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr. Hurliman has always been very personable. She always makes sure to give us her full attention making sure all of our questions are answered.... Although we haven't gotten our happily ever after yet, Dr. Hurliman has done everything in her power to help us. She has been here every step of the way and continues to try and use the science to meet our specific needs.
The clinic [Oregon Reproductive Med] is very organized and clean. Everyone (billing, genetic counseling, front desk, nursing, etc.) is very friendly and willing to help you in any way. We've never had any issues or disliked any of our interactions with anyone. A dislike would have to be the limited, tight parking lot of the downtown office.... we spent about $32k on our IVF with PDG - this includes medications from an outside pharmacy.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman has always been very nice and informative with us. She answers our questions completely never making us feel like an annoyance (no matter how ridiculous the questions are). Unfortunately we haven't had a successful pregnancy yet, but Dr. Hurliman is there with us every step of the way. She cares about our success just as much as us and isn't in this industry just to make money.
If you have questions, just ask! She will answer your questions thoroughly and completely.
We have done just about every treatment out there, so this may take a while... We first starting seeing Dr. Hurliman after our third miscarriage and learning of my unicornuate uterus. During the pre-diagnosis testing, we learned of my husband's chromosomal inversion. With these results, we assumed our miscarriages were a result of the chromosomal inversion so we embarked on IVF with PDG. We ended up with 1 balanced embryo (out of 10 fertilized, 2 made it to day 5 and were tested). We then had a failed FET. Since we didn't get the results we were hoping for, we decided to proceed with IUI with DS. Our first IUI cycle was unsuccessful (using Clomid). The next three months I used Clomid and Letrozole and proceeded to ovulate from my unconnected ovary. Since we were using DS, we didn't not proceed with the IUI those months. On our 5 cycle trying IUI, we used injectable medication to make both of my ovaries respond. This cycle went beautifully and we received a positive pregnancy test. Unfortunately, we miscarried at 7 weeks. Realizing my uterus was not going to be able to sustain a pregnancy, we decided to move forward with IVF with PGD and a GC. We retrieved my eggs, and fertilized half of the eggs with my husband's sperm and half with DS. Out of 13 fertilized embryos, 2 made it to day 5 (1 from husband, 1 from DS). Being able to see and compare the results from embryo with my husband vs. embryos with the DS, we learned that my eggs are vary poor quality. This was a complete shock because all of my other testing came back normal. Although this was a very disappointing discovery, we ended up with 1 balanced embryo and had a successful FET with our GC. Everyone was so happy - Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our excitement. Unfortunately, we lost the pregnancy at 8 weeks. Everyone was devastated - again, Dr. Hurliman and her staff shared our emotions. Right now we are in the process on where to go from here and again, Dr. Hurliman is right here with us. This survey asked if we have received the results we wanted - I put it's too soon to tell because it's a hard question to answer. Technically, Dr. Hurliman has done a brilliant job and we have gotten pregnant twice. But in the end, we don't have a sweet little baby in our arms. Although we haven't gotten our happily ever after yet, Dr. Hurliman has done everything in her power to help us. She has been here every step of the way and continues to try and use the science to meet our specific needs. Although we haven't been able to reach our end goal, I wouldn't consider it to be Dr. Hurliman or her staff's fault - no matter how hard you try, sometimes science can't fix you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy and Heidi)
When we first began at ORM, we had Katy as a nurse. She was amazing, and we loved her. Katy has moved onto other opportunities and Heidi took her place. Heidi is super nice. I do wish she communicated a little more, but in the end, I get the information I need - sometimes I just have to reach out and request it.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The clinic is very organized and clean. Everyone (billing, genetic counseling, front desk, nursing, etc.) is very friendly and willing to help you in any way. We've never had any issues or disliked any of our interactions with anyone. A dislike would have to be the limited, tight parking lot of the downtown office. But I rather have tight parking at a great clinic, than easy parking at a mediocre clinic.
I don't completely remember the costs, but I we spent about $32k on our IVF with PDG - this includes medications from an outside pharmacy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
There were a couple of times in the beginning of going to ORM that they had the incorrect time for our appointment. Normally I would take the blame, but with these couple of appointments, we had specific times that would work for us. It wasn't a big deal and they got it taken care of each time. During our first IUI with DS, the nurse practitioner that performed the procedure instructed us to have intercourse that evening. I ended up calling on our way home to confirm that was correct because we were using DS. When I called, the nurse said that was a mistake and said not to have intercourse.
Portland Westside
Dr Hurliman always gives me the impression that she is dedicated to me as a patient. I've been so impressed with how thorough Dr Hurliman is pre-cycle testing to make sure that I have the best chance possible at having a healthy pregnancy and baby. When I sit with Dr Hurliman in person, I feel that Dr Hurliman is truly fully in the the room with me which means so much!...I was also truly blown away by Dr Hurliman's ability to navigate my cervix and uterus. Dr Hurliman completed a procedure that when I had the same one years earlier, was excruciating. With Dr Hurliman, I did not feel a thing!!
The clinic [Oregon Reproductive Medicine] says it strives to achieve excellent patient care, and I feel that the staff is achieving this. From the receptionist to the medical records team to the financial coordinators...every staff member seems to truly care about me and my success. They perform their jobs with competence and with consistency. The only area where the clinic needs to continue to improve is with having the best nurses available for us. The first nurse that I was assigned to caused emotional hurt to me as a patient, but I can clearly see that the situation was taken very seriously and it is now in the past. I hope that my feedback during that situation resulted in that nurse growing as a provider. That would be my hope!
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I will always remember the first consult that I had with Dr Hurliman. It was by phone, yet she felt so close to me as we talked. I remember her saying, "We are here for you and we are going to support you on this journey to getting your baby." I could feel that her energy was genuine and I immediately felt a connection with her. The first time that I met with Dr Hurliman in person was for an invasive ultrasound procedure. I was touched by how emotionally present Dr Hurliman was - it made me feel so safe! I was also truly blown away by Dr Hurliman's ability to navigate my cervix and uterus. Dr Hurliman completed a procedure that when I had the same one years earlier, was excruciating. With Dr Hurliman, I did not feel a thing!! With Dr Hurliman, I have put myself into her hands 100%. For a woman who does not trust medical doctors very easily, this says a lot about the doctor that she is.
Dr Hurliman is going to ask you to give 100% to this process. She is going to require that you follow her protocols to a T and she's going to require that you complete extensive pre-cycle testing. Remind yourself that the reason she is doing this is because she wants what you want: for you to succeed! Place yourself in her hands and do what she asks. But, you have to be very assertive to make sure that you have Dr Hurliman's time, whatever time you need. Ask for what YOU need and don't worry about what other patients are doing. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and connect.
I am currently in cycle - We are doing an FET with an embryo created via donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Haley Swanson and Andi Hockman)
I am currently under the care of Andi Hockman who is the program coordinator. Andi is meticulous with all aspects of IVF nursing care. She is highly organized, responds promptly to every communication, she is excellent at communication, she is extremely kind/sensitive/patient - Andi has never once acted upset at my many emails and questions. She has taken my concerns seriously and has taken it upon herself to check in with Dr Hurliman with my concerns though I have rarely asked her to. I feel 100% supported by Andi and Dr Hurliman.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Oregon Reproductive Medicine is, imo, the best clinic in the United States. The clinic says it strives to achieve excellent patient care, and I feel that the staff is achieving this. From the receptionist to the medical records team to the financial coordinators...every staff member seems to truly care about me and my success. They perform their jobs with competence and with consistency. The only area where the clinic needs to continue to improve is with having the best nurses available for us. The first nurse that I was assigned to caused emotional hurt to me as a patient, but I can clearly see that the situation was taken very seriously and it is now in the past. I hope that my feedback during that situation resulted in that nurse growing as a provider. That would be my hope!
I don't want to answer this question.
So many women doing IVF want to transfer 2 embryos. Not me! I want a natural birth and I want my pregnancy to go full term. Most of the twin births that I know of were preemie births. The babies were very fragile and the pregnancies were stressful. I agree with Dr Hurliman: transfer one only.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
I've already spoken about it. It was a very short period of time and I am being very well taken care of now! I have zero complaints as I move towards my transfer date. I am receiving 100% superb care from every staff member. No complaints!
Treated 2015 - 2017
Being treated by Dr Hurliman was a great experience. She was very candid about what treatments we needed and why. Going in we were sure we wanted to try IUI first but Dr Hurliman was very up front about how this wasn’t a good option for us and our chances of conceiving would be very thin.... I appreciate candid responses and someone who doesn’t beat around the bush. Dr. Hurliman is a great combination of “giving it to you straight” and compassionate bedside manner.
I like that they [ORM Fertility] had two clinics. It was very convenient for us. If there was a different doctor covering for Dr Hurliman it was always the same doctor which was nice. They were always well organized and very clean clinics... Our care coordinator was so sweet. She always remembered us and specific details about our treatment. Even the phlebotomist remembered us every time... In total it was about $32,000 out of pocket for egg retrieval and transfer
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Being treated by Dr Hurliman was a great experience. She was very candid about what treatments we needed and why. Going in we were sure we wanted to try IUI first but Dr Hurliman was very up front about how this wasn’t a good option for us and our chances of conceiving would be very thin. You can tell Dr. Hurliman also cares about you having a healthy pregnancy to term even after you leave their clinic. We wanted to transfer two embryos but with the grade of them being so high and the odds of me having multiples would have been very great. With multiples comes great risk, and Dr Hurliman layed our all the risks that could happen with us and made sure we were infirmary, but still let us make the decision on our own. Overall, the experience with Dr Hurliman was amazing and resulted the most perfect son for me and my husband.
Dr. Hurliman and staff were always very helpful, just a phone call away. We drove over 2 hrs every appointment and never felt rushed while talking with the doctor or nurse.
Ours was a pretty standard protocol. Birth control for a week or so, menopur, ganirelix, follistim, dexamethasone all leading up to the egg retrieval. Prior to the transfer it was birth control again for a week or so, then delestrogen twice a week for three weeks, then progesterone in oil started on the third week with Medrol and an antibiotic. After the transfer I continued progesterone in oil and added endometrin suppository.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I like that they had two clinics. It was very convenient for us. If there was a different doctor covering for Dr Hurliman it was always the same doctor which was nice. They were always well organized and very clean clinics
In total it was about $32,000 out of pocket for egg retrieval and transfer
You could tell the goal was to minimize risks during pregnancy while maintaining pregnancy rate. Dr. Hurliman was definitely against transferring more than one embryo because the chances of multiples for me was so high.
Treated 2016 - 2017
When my spouse and I began seeing Dr. Hurliman we were unsure of the future for us in conceiving our own children. She reviewed our records and provided a professional perspective without making us feel discouraged or overwhelmed. Her approach was always to educate and reassure. I never felt that she over promised things, she was very clear on the next steps and what results she thought we might see. By not over promising my spouse and I were never discouraged by results.
Regardless of whether I saw my care coordinator [at Oregon Reproductive Medicine] or not, they seemed to take very good notes so all staff was aware of last visits and conversations. Overall the staff was very helpful and willing to answer questions at any time.... Dr. Hurliman and her staff got to know my staff and I very well. They always referred to us by first name and asked questions about our weekends, family and hobbies.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable; Dr. Hurliman and her staff really don't mind answering your questions.
Diagnosed with tubal blockage on both sides. ORM referred me to a specialist to have surgery. Prior to the surgery we decided to start IVF and freeze the eggs. My IVF cycle included; PM Dexamethasone, Prenatal, Aspirin, Menopur 2, Follistim 150 and Ganirellex. My cycle lasted 7 days. We retrieved 23 eggs and of those 23, 13 lasted past day 7. When met with the sperm we ended up with 7 embryos and after testing 3 were ruled out. Thus, our one cycle rendered 4 viable embryos. After my tubal surgery and recovery we scheduled a time for the embryo transfer. At that time I took Doxycycline twice a day, Endometrin and Medrol after the HCG trigger. First transfer was a success!
Regardless of whether I saw my care coordinator or not, they seemed to take very good notes so all staff was aware of last visits and conversations. Overall the staff was very helpful and willing to answer questions at any time.
Treated 2016 - 2017
The strategy at ORM seems to be strongly quality over quantity. I have no diagnosis outside of unexplained infertility. I was given an Antagonist protocol. I was started with birth control pills and doxycycline. Later I started dexamethasone. After my suppression check I was not quite suppressed enough so they had me do a few days of Cetrotide to get my estrogen levels down. That worked, so I then started all my injectables: Menopur (2) and Gonal F (150). On day 6 they added Cetrotide back. I did 10 days total of injections before I took my trigger shot. My doses were never adjusted, except on the final day when my Gonal-F was reduced to 75. At the egg retrieval, 11 eggs were retrieved and all were mature. 9 of the 11 fertilized. 5 of the 9 made it to day 5 and were biopsied/frozen for CCS testing. All 5 came back as normal.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She is amazing at explaining the process. Whenever we had a sit-down meeting, e.g. to discuss IVF, she drew out the whole process and we were able to take that image/notes with us. She gave us ample time to ask all our questions and never rushed us out, even when we sometimes went over time. It did seem like it took some time to build a more personal rapport with her, but as she got to know us better, I felt like her demeanor was more and more caring and gentle.
Don't be afraid to share the personal side of what this experience means to you, or your hopes and fears. She seems to respond well when a patient opens up a bit, which allows her to have a more personal relationship with you.
I always met with Dr. Hurliman at each appointment, except at weekend appointments. I always received prompt return phone calls/messages whenever I had a question. Dr. Hurliman was always present when with me, well-prepared for the meeting, and felt very authentic in her communication style.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy)
Katy was incredibly kind, happy, and present whenever I met with her. She always responded promptly and thoroughly to my messages. I felt like she was genuinely sad/happy with me through the whole journey. She gave me whatever time I needed to ask every question I could think of.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I can't think of a single thing wrong with ORM. They are very clean, warm, professional, and thorough. The same staff is present all the time (i.e. they aren't too big), so you begin to recognize the same faces over and over. The waiting area is tactful and compassionate (i.e. no signage or environment cues to remind you that you don't have children). I loved that their office is available on weekends for appointments (at the Downtown location). The Westside location was very convenient for us during weekdays. Exam rooms are clean and calming. Meeting rooms/offices are professional but not cold/"sterile." They have an amazing genetic counselor (Serena!). And Westside has an amazing receptionist (Jennifer!). I just loved coming there, despite the reason for it!
For our IVF (egg retrieval and frozen embryo transfer with ICSI and CCS testing), we paid approximately $11,500 out of pocket. I have good health insurance coverage for infertility treatment and medications.
Dr. Hurliman strongly recommended that we transfer 1 embryo, due to my age (31) and the lack of previous miscarriages.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Hurliman was very supportive through every step of this process. She was always very patient and explained in detail everything she was doing and answered any question that came up. She even took the time to personally call me when the results of my pregnancy test came in...When I met with Dr. Hurliman to discuss the results, she was so loving and kind and just normal. She wasn't in doctor mode-- her reactions to everything were the same as my close friends. It felt good to have a real conversation about how hard things were.
ORM runs like a well oiled machine (at least it presents that way!) They respond to you in a timely manner, they are all very helpful and compassionate and they make going through this whole process a whole lot easier...The nursing staff at ORM is the best. They are all very informed on where you are in the process and provide detailed answers for any questions you may have. They are great teachers too...ORM gives you a list of great acupuncturists that specialize in fertility.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I met Dr. Hurliman right at the start of what turned out to be the hardest year of my life. I had been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and still trying to figure out what that even meant. We were having trouble getting pregnant, but we hadn't been trying that long, so I wasn't convinced there was anything wrong. Since I had my MS issues, I thought it would be good just to get checked out. After my first couple appointments, I learned that I had all sorts of fertility issues. I started treatment and in the middle of it, my dad got really sick. I went back to California to help my mom take care of him, while still trying to do my injections and fly back and forth for appointments. I felt like I was calling ORM every day asking them what to do, if I could move an appointment, if I had to have a blood draw, etc. They finally told me it would probably be a good idea to just stop this round of IVF and pick back up when I was in a better place. It was the best thing they could have ever said to me. It was this weird relief and it allowed me to focus completely on my Dad. He was on in-home hospice and we were told he had about a year to live. He ended up passing away 3 weeks later, and I am so incredibly thankful I got to spend those last 3 weeks taking care of him with nothing else on my mind except that. Dr. Hurliman and her team were so compassionate and patient during this time. It was already overwhelming trying to navigate the fertility injections and going through everything with my Dad made it a million times harder. They answered my every phone call with nothing but warmth and it felt like they were going through all this with me. A few weeks later, my Grandma passed away and then my poor mother had a massive heart attack from all the stress of the last month and losing two of the people she loved the most. It was definitely a very sad, stressful time and writing this all out reminds me just how absolutely crazy it was. I started another round of treatment that ended up not working. I felt like it was kind of set up to fail based on the amount of stress and heartache that had happened in the months before. When I met with Dr. Hurliman to discuss the results, she was so loving and kind and just normal. She wasn't in doctor mode-- her reactions to everything were the same as my close friends. It felt good to have a real conversation about how hard things were. After that, she had a new plan to move forward and was confident that we could be successful in the next round...And we were! Fast forward to a few months later, Dr. Hurliman called me herself to tell me that I had a positive pregnancy test. It meant a lot that she took the time to personally call me and I think it shows a lot about what an amazing person she is and how invested she is in her patients I still thank my lucky stars that I got Dr. Hurliman as my Doctor. She is an incredibly smart, caring and compassionate person, and has a very calming presence that puts you at ease. Going through IVF sucks, but the way she handles things makes it so much better.
Dr. Hurliman will create the best path to success for you and you need to trust her and her plan. I would also recommend utilizing the resources ORM has to offer. I think when you find out that you have fertility issues, your first instinct is to become as educated as possible in your condition and the best way to get the results you want. There is SO much information online and in books that it can be overwhelming. Definitely do you research, but also take advantage of people at ORM like Dr. Sgarlata. He helped me refine my vitamin regimen and also provided insight on some lifestyle changes I could make to promote better overall health. It was very helpful. I also highly recommended acupuncture. I think it was one of the defining things I did that helped me to achieve a positive outcome. ORM gives you a list of great acupuncturists that specialize in fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Schmitke)
The nursing staff at ORM is the best. They are all very informed on where you are in the process and provide detailed answers for any questions you may have. They are great teachers too. They go over your calendar (which can seem daunting at first) and how to do your injections in an easy to understand way. I am sure they have to do that a million times a day with each person, but they are always treat you like you're their only patient. Katy and Whitney were my two favorite nurses. They were always so nice and knew who I was. I imagine they deal with a lot of patients throughout the day, so it was always really cool that they knew who I was and were so friendly. Jeri was also an amazing person at ORM and really made this whole process a lot more bearable. She definitely helped me through some tough appointments. Anyone that gets to meet her should consider themselves very lucky.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
ORM runs like a well oiled machine (at least it presents that way!) They respond to you in a timely manner, they are all very helpful and compassionate and they make going through this whole process a whole lot easier. They recently introduced an online portal which makes communicating with them even easier and its nice to be able to access your test results and go back to old emails that may have instructions.
I had two embryos and Dr. Hurliman advised me to transfer one. She went over in detail the success rates of a single transfer vs multiple and we both agreed that a single transfer was best for me.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Hurliman is a compassionate and caring Dr. that you can tell truly cares about her patients. She explained everything to us throughly and I never felt like I was uninformed about what the plan was or what the next step would be. Going through fertility help was one of the most difficult and heart wrenching experiences I've ever gone through and I needed a Dr. like her that was gentle and caring but also didn't give false hope. I felt like I knew what we were up against but I had a team that went beyond my husband and I that was going to do everything in their power to give us our dream of becoming parents...
Katy [nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] was completely on top of it! We absolutely loved her and are so thankful she was our nurse. She was always available to answer questions we had (which were many) and I knew she was always just a call away. She was so incredibly supportive, caring and informative. I honestly can't express enough how much I appreciate her and the rest of the staff...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Go into the experience knowing that if it is possible they will get you there! Expect a caring Dr. that will keep you well informed and wants the best for you.
I felt as though I had a relationship with Dr. Hurliman where I was able to completely trust that she cared about us and truly wanted to see us through as parents. I felt like she truly knew us on a personal level and could tell when I was worried or nervous about something without me even having to say that I was and she took the extra time to explain things to me as well as encourage me without giving false hope.
We were very hesitant to go do ivf and wanted to try several cycles of iui first and use ivf as the absolute last result. Dr. Hurliman let us do 4 or 5 cycles of iui before we went into the ivf process. During that time I was on letrozole and trigger shots and my husband was on clomid. Once we started the ivf process my husband continued the clomid while I started on injections and birth control. I do not remember all the names of the meds during this time or the dosage
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy Shane)
Katy was completely on top of it! We absolutely loved her and are so thankful she was our nurse. She was always available to answer questions we had (which were many) and I knew she was always just a call away. She was so incredibly supportive, caring and informative. I honestly can't express enough how much I appreciate her and the rest of the staff
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I have nothing but positive things to say about this clinic. From the Dr.'s to the receptionist we had nothing but postie experiences with everyone.
It was over $20,000

Treated 2015 - 2016
She [Dr. Hurliman] is very good at adjusting her plan as needed so don't be afraid to talk to her about it...She gets to know you and your family. The treatment is very personalized so they need to know your lifestyle and needs... The initial treatment was very smooth and as we inched closer to ovarian stimulation, we found a cyst which would push back egg retrieval. Though it was very disappointing, Amanda comforted us in the process and explained why it should be postponed and when we could start back up. I saw her several times during this process...
Katy [Nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] is very responsive and a pleasure to have assisting with care. She was always ensuring I was aware of the next steps and would check up on us throughout the process. I could email Katy at any time if I had concerns. She was always willing to work through concerns or issues or share in the joy of procedures that went well. She was definitely a key component to making this process work and I couldn't have imagined it without her.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Amanda is very thorough. She explained everything on the first day to us as if we had no knowledge of the procedures or options. Once we shared that we had done extensive research and knew what we wanted she skipped to details that would matter most to us. We explained we wanted to start as soon as possible so she immediately had us start the preliminary testing. This was very important to us as she was actually listening to what we wanted. The initial treatment was very smooth and as we inched closer to ovarian stimulation, we found a cyst which would push back egg retrieval. Though it was very disappointing, Amanda comforted us in the process and explained why it should be postponed and when we could start back up. I saw her several times during this process. Finally once it was gone, she continued the procedure just as promised. We even experienced an ice storm in the middle of the ovarian simulation process and were unable to get to an appointment the day before egg retrieval. Amanda thoroughly went through our his history and determined that the missed appointment would probably be okay, and it was. Egg retrieval was done the next day with another doctor but this was explained to us prior to it being done. Transfer was done roughly 6 weeks later with Amanda at the NW location which means she needed to leave her office to come to another facility for the procedure. She did a great job with the transfer, it was fast and professional. Amanda is extremely knowledgeable and has proven to be able to handle any situation that comes her way. I saw her most of my cycle with the exception of egg retrieval procedures. She was even willing to have a phone appointment. Thanks to Amanda, we are expecting a beautiful baby girl and baby boy in a few months. Amanda was so involved that we have promised to come see her once they are born!
It is very important to be straight forward with what you want or need. She is very good at adjusting her plan as needed so don't be afraid to talk to her about it.
Amanda and her team are very personable. She gets to know you and your family. The treatment is very personalized so they need to know your lifestyle and needs. It was a great experience.
We did the Ganirelix Protocol based on my test results. During the process, I took Doxycycline, Lupron, OCPs, Menopur, Ganirelix trigger shot, baby aspirin, daily injections of progesterone and twice a week injections of Estrogen (during and after transfer), suppositories of progesterone 3 times a day (after transfer). These were not all done at the same time. They were spaced as necessary.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane)
Katy is very responsive and a pleasure to have assisting with care. She was always ensuring I was aware of the next steps and would check up on us throughout the process. I could email Katy at any time if I had concerns. She was always willing to work through concerns or issues or share in the joy of procedures that went well. She was definitely a key component to making this process work and I couldn't have imagined it without her.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The Clinic is very professional and has a pleasant feel to it. Staff is very helpful and willing to assist in getting you the care you need especially if the person you need is away. They were willing to work with me when I confused the time of my appointment and worked me in. You will want to keep track of your own payments and charges as sometimes they can't see that you have a credit on your account and ask for payment. Once you mention it, they will resolve it. We didn't get to speak with a financial counselor but it all worked out in the end. So if financial topics are your concern, be sure to request a meeting with your financial coordinator. I never had problems working with the financial staff when I was confused about billings and they were always willing to assist. The phlebotomist at Westside is the best (Geri). She was always pleasant and reassuring when I was there which was often. The office are updated and always extremely clean. There is no doubt they care about you, your care and the environment that you receive it in. Weekend Nurse staffing is excellent and helped put me at ease if I had concerns.
Costs are patient specific. They are broken into pre-treatment testing, phase 1 which will include any exams and egg retrieval procedures, Phase 2 which is your basic transfer charges. ICSI, Genetic Testing and other procedures you opt for will be in addition. The finance team will give you a great breakdown of the costs. Prescriptions are paid to the pharmacy you pick it up at and is not included in the cost estimate. Be aware if your cycle cancels, you will have additional costs due to the increased number of exams and visits. Acupuncture may be recommended so note that will be paid separately as well... but completely worth it. The first deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 1 and the second deposit will cover the basic costs of Phase 2. All RML (laboratory) expenses are paid to ORM and they will coordinate payment to the lab.
Treated 2013 - 2016
Dr. Hurliman was amazing to work with. I always saw her for my appointment except for one IUI transfer out of 6. Although many of our encounters were brief it was usually because I had no questions as she had already answered all of them. However, when needed she spent the time explaining things to us or in reassuring us about how things were going. She was always concerned about how we were doing emotionally as well as physically. I would recommend her to anyone!
Katy [Nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions. She does a great job at communicating but everyone has different questions and there is no way to cover everything for everyone. She is one doctor who will not make you feel stupid or like you are taking up too much of her time if you ask the questions you are wondering about so do it.
Throughout the process she was always checking to see how we were doing emotionally. She also asked how life was going otherwise. Also even after a break from infertility treatments she remembered us.
Initially we tried to IUI with medication and did 6 rounds. We did 6 instead of the standard 4 because of cervical stenosis problems making it unclear whether the first 2 were as successful as they could have been. Due to my age (relatively young) and no other known risk factors or reasons for infertility it was thought it could be secondary to genetic issues either with my eggs or my husband's sperm. For that reason, when we decided to do IVF she recommended (although did not push) that we do CCS. It turns out that was a good idea as we had a low yield of embryos as compared to the number of eggs that were retrieved and of those embryos half had problems genetically. I did have problems with mild ovarian hyperstim but do not remember the specifics regarding the medications.
Katy was wonderful to work with. She checked in periodically and always called with results in a timely manner. She also remembered specifics about my husband and I which I know is hard when there are so many patients. Also the day of my egg retrieval and transfer she sent us emails and left voicemails to wish us luck. She was a joy to have as part of the team.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
It was very easy to check in and check out. The receptionist very early on learned who I was and would check me in without having to wait at the counter. The one issue I had with the clinic was it's billing process. At times it was very confusing - sometimes I would be asked to make a payment after a visit and sometimes I was told I was up to date but then would get a bill later in the mail. The bills were also very confusing regarding dates and what I was being billed for. The only other concern I had was with the scheduling. I would often ask for the earliest or latest appointment on a certain day and would be offered a time but I found if I said anything later or anything earlier? there typically was a later or earlier time available. So for new patient's, don't hesitate to continue asking about certain times if you need them rather than just taking what is offered.
Overall cost for the 6 IUIs was around $8000 including medication, ultrasounds, testing, and visits with Dr. Hurliman. 1 round of IVF with all the fixings =) (ICSI, CCS, medication, egg retrieval and transfer, tests, ultrasounds, visits with Dr. Hurliman, as well as post-transfer monitoring) was around $25,000. Insurance did not cover anything until after I became pregnant.
Treated 2015 - 2016
She [Dr. Hurliman] is smart, thorough, and compassionate. We always knew what to expect next as she is great about compassionately communicating all potential outcomes, good or bad. We never felt as though we were given false hope, realistic expectations were always communicated to us in a very caring way. And we always felt that if we had any questions or concerns outside of our appointments we could reach out to the clinic and Dr. Hurliman would respond in a very reasonable amount of time...
The ORM Westside clinic is fantastic! It is small and provides personalized service, the way it should be. From scheduling to the lab to the nursing staff, everyone knows you. You are not just another number in their system, you are a real live person, with a real live medical history...Both Katy and Heather (Care Coordinators) were AMAZING! It was so nice to have caring, knowledgable Care Coordinators, as they serve as the link between patients and doctors. We always knew we could reach out the Katy or Heather at any time and we would be responded to very quickly. In addition to us being very satisfied with Dr. Hurliman, these two made our experience with ORM very positive. Dr. Hurliman has a great team, and they two ladies are a vital part of making the practice was it is! ...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman is the best of the best! She is smart, thorough, and compassionate. We always knew what to expect next as she is great about compassionately communicating all potential outcomes, good or bad. We never felt as though we were given false hope, realistic expectations were always communicated to us in a very caring way. And we always felt that if we had any questions or concerns outside of our appointments we could reach out to the clinic and Dr. Hurliman would respond in a very reasonable amount of time. We would highly recommend Dr. Hurliman to an couples seeking fertility treatments!
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Hurliman is very knowledgeable when it comes to fertility treatments. She will give you the facts, without building any false expectations. She is an expert at what she does, but know that fertility treatments don't work for everyone. Dr. Hurliman will tailor your treatment plan to you and your needs, which is why open communication is so vital in the process. Ask questions and provide feedback.
ORM's West clinic is small, which allows for very personalized service. Seeking fertility treatment can be a very scary and emotional process, but all of the staff at ORM was very friendly and compassionate throughout our entire treatment process. They knew us and our story, which helped us feel very comfortable and cared for. At ORM you are not just another number or patient, which is why fertility clinics should stay small. Small clinics with personalized service are few and far between when it comes to Western Medicine. Fertility treatments are a very emotional process for patients, keeping care personalized is imperative for successful outcomes. Thanks ORM!
I remember going to our first injection class, and we were the only patients in the class to be on a Good Responder Antagonist protocol. This was our first IVF process, and of course I was thinking there was something wrong with me because all the other patients in the class were on different protocols than I was. I was confused about why so many other patients were on Agonist protocols and I was not. When I asked Dr. Hurliman she explained in great detail why she had chose that protocol for me, giving me a piece of mind that she had chosen a protocol specific to me and my situation. For me, injections were never easy, and Dr. Hurliman knew that about me. So, prior to starting any new medication or injections Dr. Hurliman went over the purpose for each in detail to help us understand the process on both a small and large scale.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katy McShane & Heather Fivas)
Both Katy and Heather (Care Coordinators) were AMAZING! It was so nice to have caring, knowledgable Care Coordinators, as they serve as the link between patients and doctors. We always knew we could reach out the Katy or Heather at any time and we would be responded to very quickly. In addition to us being very satisfied with Dr. Hurliman, these two made our experience with ORM very positive. Dr. Hurliman has a great team, and they two ladies are a vital part of making the practice was it is! They continued to reach out to us to check in throughout our pregnancy. Half way through my pregnancy we needed to changed OBGYN clinics and Heather and Katy were there to assist with referrals. We now see a OBGYN that we are EXTREMELY pleased with. Thank you Katy & Heather!
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
IVF is expensive, there is no doubt. But, all the costs were stated up front as best as possible. The wildcard in associated costs were what your insurance will and will not cover, specifically related to prescriptions. But, I definitely feel as though all associated costs were stated up front.
Treated 2014 - 2016
...Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment... I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after surgery to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us...
My nurses [at Oregon Repro Med - Port NW] were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out...The clinic is professional and welcoming. They have everything really streamlined compared to the first clinic we went to. There was a clear process for talking with clinic staff about insurance, financial assistance, scheduling, and medical questions...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
After nearly four years of trying to conceive on our own and at other clinics, we made an appointment with Dr. Hurliman on a friend's recommendation, and from the first visit I knew we had come to the right place. She took a lot of time to talk with us and explained our options thoroughly. She did all of my IVF procedures including egg retrieval, a fresh transfer (two embryos), and two frozen transfers (one embryo each transfer). I always felt confident knowing she was orchestrating my treatment. I needed two surgeries while I was in her care, and she connected me with surgical teams that she trusted, which really put my mind at ease. Even though she didn't do my surgeries, she followed up with me about them before and after to see how I was doing. I went through a lot while I was in Dr. H's care, including a twin pregnancy that ended with one blighted ovum (empty gestational sac) and a complicated ectopic pregnancy. It is heartbreaking to lose a pregnancy after years of trying to conceive, and Dr. Hurliman recognized that. She had just the right mix of compassion and professionalism that helped me get through that devastating time. Also, I really like that Dr. Hurliman is part of a larger group at ORM. When my treatment got unexpectedly complicated, she was able to talk with her colleagues, and I felt like I had a team of some of the best doctors in the world recommending next steps for my treatment. I conceived again after our second frozen embryo transfer, and I continued in Dr. Hurliman's care through my first trimester. If she delivered babies, I would have loved to stay in her care through my whole pregnancy!
To the extent that you can, you can stop worrying about the medical aspects of your treatment while you are Dr. Hurliman's care. She has that covered, so you can spend that energy taking care of yourself instead.
Everyone in the office knew my name when I came in, including the receptionist, the nurses, and the phlebotomist. Dr. Hurliman was always professional and extremely knowledgable, and she was also kind. She took the time to ask us about other things in our lives besides infertility. She and the nurses happily answered all of my questions during my visits, and the nurses always responded to my calls and emails quickly. I had two surgeries while I was seeking fertility treatment at ORM, and both times Dr. Hurliman called me before and after survey to check on me even though she didn't do the surgeries. When we found out that my first pregnancy was ectopic, I felt like my whole ORM team mourned the loss with my husband and I. And when we conceived our daughter, the whole office celebrated with us.
We had already been trying to conceive for four years when we started seeing Dr. Hurliman, and we went right to IVF. I received a detailed calendar for each cycle and treatment. It was really easy to follow my calendar, and when I had questions, my nurse always got back to me within a few hours.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather and Katy)
My nurses were amazing! I always felt like they cared about me and my husband. I think it is really important to feel comfortable asking questions during fertility care, and I never hesitated to call the office or email my questions. I always got a response within 24 hours, and usually within a couple hours of reaching out.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
I can't remember the exact cost of our IVF cycle, but we put down a deposit before the cycle started, which was nice because we didn't need to pay for anything during my appointments. The office also did a great job of billing my insurance. And even though IVF wasn't covered, a lot of the office visits and lab work was.
Treated 2016
We had a very candid long discussion at the beginning of my treatment where she [Dr. Amanda Hurliman] laid out all of my various options and discussed with me my ultimate family goals. I was able to direct exactly what I wanted to happen- she was willing to do more IUIs if I wanted, or to go straight to IVF. I felt like she was always very informed about my care, very excited for me, and very involved in my treatment. Immediately after my FET, I remember she came over to me and just rested her hand on my head in a very supportive gesture which was immensely calming- I felt like we were partners in my treatment. When that transfer resulted in pregnancy, Dr. Hurliman and the entire team were so excited for me.
I loved Katy. She was really responsive, always called me within hours of my appointment to go over my results and my protocol. She was really responsive and an absolute sweetheart....ORM was great- I went to the smaller clinic for the majority of my appointments, which had a smaller staff. That means that I saw the same person for blood draws every time, the same nurse, and my same doctor. I'm not sure if this is consistent with the larger downtown location. I also appreciated ORM's IVF orientation sessions (two of them, overview and injection training)- made me feel very confident in moving through the process.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I found Dr. Hurliman to be very thorough in explaining every step along the way and making me feel comfortable as we proceeded though the IVF process. I saw her for every single appointment but the egg retrieval, because ORM has the doctors share duties for egg retrieval. She did every single monitoring appointment and my frozen embryo transfer.
I was very happy with my care at ORM under Dr. Hurliman. We had a very candid long discussion at the beginning of my treatment where she laid out all of my various options and discussed with me my ultimate family goals. I was able to direct exactly what I wanted to happen- she was willing to do more IUIs if I wanted, or to go straight to IVF. I felt like she was always very informed about my care, very excited for me, and very involved in my treatment. Immediately after my FET, I remember she came over to me and just rested her hand on my head in a very supportive gesture which was immensely calming- I felt like we were partners in my treatment. When that transfer resulted in pregnancy, Dr. Hurliman and the entire team were so excited for me.
We started with an IUI while I was doing the basic testing (Clomid Challenge, etc.) Then we moved into stimulation for IVF- I did an antagonist protocol. I can't remember why, but I remember the pros/cons of antagonist vs. one of the lupron protocols were explained to me and I agreed with antagonist. I had 12 days of medication and monitoring because Dr. Hurliman wanted my follicles to develop. I retrieved 21 eggs, 19 of which were mature and 16 of which fertilized with ICSI. I had 8 embryos make it to Day 5, at which time they were biopsied for PGD testing and frozen. I had 7 embryos come back as chromosome-normal. For the frozen embryo transfer, Dr. Hurliman discussed that I could do a "natural" FET or a medicated FET. I chose the medicated because I wanted to make sure that I could control the date of transfer and because I didn't find the injections to be that bad. My single embryo transfer resulted in a pregnancy- I had frequent monitoring with Dr. Hurliman until I was released to my OB-GYN at 10 weeks pregnant. I wish I could have stayed with her for my whole pregnancy because I felt that I got MUCH more individual attention at ORM than at my OB-GYN.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ORM Fertility.
I was able to schedule my monitoring appointments for first thing in the morning, which worked best with my schedule.
I believe that the IVF was approx $16k, PGD testing of up to 9 embryos was approx. $5k, and my frozen embryo transfer was approx. $3k. Medications were approx. $2.5k.
Dr. Hurliman recommended that because I was doing PGD testing I only do a single transfer. We had previously discussed that I didn't want twins so I had never considered transferring more than one. She did go over ORM's statistics of eSET v. multiple embryo transfers for both PGD tested and non-PGD tested embryos.

Treated 2015
She [Dr. Hurliman] explained every step with great details and drawings. I still have them today. She made us feel comfortable. She gave us options while also inserting her opinion. She followed up with me even when not necessary...She tells it like it is. Very matter of fact but also is compassionate....She listened well and you could tell she wanted to help us have a family....IUI with femara only 1 time since I had done this 4 times prior without success. She recommended I do this 6 times total but the last one was cancelled due to a cyst
They [Oregon Repro Med - Port W] were almost always on time. There are so many options when calling that it is hard to get to who you want to talk to without waiting several minutes...There are two locations. I had an appointment at the new clinic downtown and the receptionist wrote the address on my appointment card, when I showed up, they said it was the other location. My signed contract with my husband and I was sent in twice and "received" and then "lost."
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
She explained every step with great details and drawings. I still have them today. She made us feel comfortable. She gave us options while also inserting her opinion. She followed up with me even when not necessary.
She tells it like it is. Very matter of fact but also is compassionate.
She listened well and you could tell she wanted to help us have a family.
IUI with femara only 1 time since I had done this 4 times prior without success. She recommended I do this 6 times total but the last one was cancelled due to a cyst. Once we moved to IVF I was prepared for a frozen transfer due to the large amount of eggs they were expected to receive since I have PCOS. I did injectables in the abdomen for 10-14 days in early October and then I had my frozen transfer in mid December. I started progesterone and estradiol injections in November, progesterone daily and estradiol twice weekly. This continued until mid February.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
They were almost always on time. There are so many options when calling that it is hard to get to who you want to talk to without waiting several minutes.
Around $25,000 total.
I hear of some clinics where they will only let you transfer one embryo the first time so I wondered why we had the option of 1 or 2. Our goal was to have one baby but so much had failed and I didn't want to go through more injections and another transfer so we chose 2. I ended up having horribly complicated pregnancy because my body/uterus/cervix could not handle two babies but no one could have predicted that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
There are two locations. I had an appointment at the new clinic downtown and the receptionist wrote the address on my appointment card, when I showed up, they said it was the other location. My signed contract with my husband and I was sent in twice and "received" and then "lost." Both copies were then recovered later and they apologized.
Treated 2015
Dr. Hurliman and her team really care about their patients, and I received amazing support during my three IVF cycles...She is a brilliant doctor that listens to her patients, laughed with me on the good days, and offered compassion on the tough days. I always felt like she was on MY team. I wasn’t just a number. She deeply cared about me and kept tweaking my IVF cycles/meds to try and help me succeed in having the baby I desired so deeply. I have tears in my eyes as I’m writing this...
...I did have some issues with billing [at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] that were resolved quickly. I was sent a few bills for misc. things when I had already paid the deposit. I contacted the billing department and they told me to ignore the bills they were an error. After I became pregnant I had to contact billing for a refund of the credit we had with them. This was not an issue, just something to be aware of...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
I did three IVF cycles with Dr. Hurliman, and she was amazing throughout the entire process. I was diagnosed with DOR a few months before my 34th birthday. We were trying for our second child, and the diagnosis totally devastated me. I cried through the entire first few meetings my husband and I had with Dr. Hurliman. She was very kind, but let me know that my chance of success was more in-line with the over 43 year old group (my FSH was very high 21.42). Dr. Hurliman suggested donor eggs would be my best chance of success, but I wasn't ready for that and wanted to try with my own eggs. Dr. Hurliman listened to me, and we came up with a plan to move forward. I never felt that she pushed donor eggs on me, and I greatly appreciated that. However, she did provide realistic expectations - My chance of success using my own eggs was low. My first two cycles were canceled at different stages of the IVF process. My third IVF cycle wasn't looking much better (only 2 mature follicles). Dr. Hurliman gave me the option to cancel that cycle or proceed. I decided I had zero chance of success if I didn't try, so I went forward with the retrieval. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development, but I decided to proceed with the fresh transfer. On the day of the transfer I remember telling my nurse Heather “It’s a beautiful day for a miracle." I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. There were many times during this process that Dr. Hurliman could of gave up on me. With my high FSH she could of refused me service from the time I first walked in her door like many other fertility clinics would of done, but she didn’t. She could of let me know I wasn’t a candidate for IVF using my own eggs, but she didn’t. She could of canceled my third cycle without giving me the option to proceed, but she didn’t. Dr. Hurliman never gave up on me, and I love her for it. I wouldn’t have my miracle baby without her. She is a brilliant doctor that listens to her patients, laughed with me on the good days, and offered compassion on the tough days. I always felt like she was on MY team. I wasn’t just a number. She deeply cared about me and kept tweaking my IVF cycles/meds to try and help me succeed in having the baby I desired so deeply. I have tears in my eyes as I’m writing this. It was a rough year, but we did it Dr. H!!! My baby girl is perfect in every way, and we love her so much. There are no words to express how grateful we are to Dr. Hurliman. I highly recommend her to anyone needing fertility services.
Get as healthy as you can for your fertility treatment(s). I lost 25 lbs., ate only organic foods - lots of fruits and vegetables, followed an alkaline diet, eliminated foods from my diet (sugar, caffeine, wheat, dairy and alcohol), took a bunch of herbal supplements & Chinese herbal tea, walked an hour or more daily, quit my job as a graphic designer to reduce stress in my life, listened to the Circle+Bloom IVF & IUI relaxation and meditation CDs every night, and did acupuncture twice a week (moxa sticks & hot foot baths too!). I'm not sure if any of these things helped or not, but I know it helped me emotionally. Gave me a sense of control in a situation I had no control over. It helped to be working toward something. Dr. Hurliman didn't suggest theses things specifically, so do your own research and try things that make sense to you. Even if it seems crazy - who cares! Dosen't hurt to try things. I know I was desperate for a successful outcome, and now I have my little miracle.
Me = 34 years old; Diagnosis = DOR; AMH = 0.33; FSH = 21.42; Husband = Low sperm count. IVF Cycle 1 = Lupron 40 Flare with Omnitrope protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. We thought we had 4 mature follicles, but ended up just having 3 mature eggs at collection. One egg fertilized, and on day 5 it was a day behind in development so we gave it an extra day. It arrested and the cycle was canceled. IVF Cycle 2 = Antagonist protocol converted to HMG/IUI. Follistim 150. Only 2 mature follicles, so we thought we could do better and canceled the cycle before egg collection. The IUI was unsuccessful. This was the 4th IUI I tried (3 with my OBGYN before I came to ORM - all unsuccessful). IVF Cycle 3 = Estrogen Priming Antagonist protocol. 150 Menopur and 300-425 Follistim. Only two mature follicles, two mature eggs collected, one egg fertilized, and day 5 it was a day behind in development but we went ahead with the fresh transfer on day 5. I now have a perfectly healthy 3 month old baby girl. I am so thankful to my ORM team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Fivas)
I LOVE Heather!!! I always looked forward to seeing her at all my appointments. Sitting and talking with her was like talking to a lifelong friend. She cares so much about her patients, and would do anything to help me during this very difficult process. I truly don't know what I would of done with out her. She made a huge difference in my treatment. My husband was out of town a lot for work during my IVF cycles, so I had to administer all the shots to myself. I kept messing up my doses, and Heather would always laugh with me and show me what I was doing wrong. She even drew a bullseye on my rear end for the progesterone shots. One cycle I did 8 shots a day, the other two I did six. It was such a stressful time, and I wanted to make sure I did everything correctly. A few times I cried in frustration to Heather, and she always did anything she could to help. I had difficulty with one med in particular, and for my last cycle she even put all the doses in syringes for me so I didn't have to worry about getting it right. After I got pregnant, and I would come in for my scans to make sure everything was alright, I remember her waiting outside my door with tears in her eyes hoping for good news. Heather was rooting for me every step of the way. She will forever have a friend in me. She went above and beyond her role at ORM, and I will forever be grateful to her. Love that girl!!!
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Very pleased with Dr. Hurliman, nurse Heather Fivas, and the rest of their staff. I did have some issues with billing that were resolved quickly. I was sent a few bills for misc. things when I had already paid the deposit. I contacted the billing department and they told me to ignore the bills they were an error. After I became pregnant I had to contact billing for a refund of the credit we had with them. This was not an issue, just something to be aware of. It's not automatically refunded after a successful pregnancy. Also, when we first became patients at ORM my husband went in to provide a sperm sample for freezing, and he was told he needed to take a few tests before he could leave his sample. He didn't realize that ORM hadn't received our medical records from Kaiser yet, and he had already taken the tests - $500 wasted. Make sure ORM has received your medical records before leaving sperm samples!
ORM 3 rounds of IVF (2 rounds canceled at different stages) = $28,551.00 Medications = $16,256.67 Acupuncture = $3,600 Oregon Anesthesiology = $1,134 Labs/IUI's outside of ORM = $1,458.33 TOTAL COST = $51,000 Kaiser only covered the IUI's we did with them - Not our IVF treatments. The itemized info above was 100% out of pocket. Worth every penny!!!

Treated 2015 - 2018
I feel like Dr. Hurliman is very invested in our case. She has been very supportive and I feel she is truly rooting for us to have success.... My wife and I have had many struggles throughout this process. Dr. Hurliman has always been able to give us hope that the next step will work. Each step of this process is difficult to cope with and process. Dr. Hurliman has been able to aid us through the hurt of not yet having success and instilling hope for the next attempt. Each time we have a set back Dr. Hurliman has been able to adjust our process to give us the best chance for success.
The transition between the two locations [Oregon Repro Med] is both convenient and difficult. It's nice to have a consistent location where you go every time, but I enjoy the fresh change meeting at a different location. The rotation of doctors conducting the procedures can seem daunting but there are several sets of eyes on your case.... Every member of the team is very supportive. I feel that they are invested in our success and have felt the disappointment with the lack there of.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Be patient. This process doesn't just happen over night, and it is easy to get caught up in the instant gratification environment of today. Dr. Hurliman takes time for your relationship to build but with patience it is a rewarding one. She is. Invested in her patience.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at ORM Fertility.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The transition between the two locations is both convenient and difficult. It's nice to have a consistent location where you go every time, but I enjoy the fresh change meeting at a different location. The rotation of doctors conducting the procedures can seem daunting but there are several sets of eyes on your case.
Treated 2017 - 2018
She [Dr. Hurliman] always took the time to sit down and listen to our concerns and questions. She recognizes the financial and emotional burden this takes on all of us... We started with letrozole for close to a year and after 2 miscarriages she felt like ivf with genetic testing was our best shot since it would give us the most info re egg quality.... While she is incredibly intelligent and nearly everything she predicted to happen,
Expensive. I think more than other clinics. And sometimes hard to get an appt. [at Oregon Reproductive Med] I’ve learned that I have had to make some appts a couple of months our just to make sure it worked with my work schedule... There was one instance when one of their nurses failed to reach me despite bei instructed to call me at work. Which resulted in a 2 month delay of the cycle... Elizabeth is the best. She anticipated everything Dr Hurliman will order or next steps.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
While she is incredibly intelligent and nearly everything she predicted to happen, did. However our we have had a possibly major hiccup with our ivf process, which I wish I would have known was a possibility prior to egg retrieval.
Ask lots and lots of questions especially if you have recurrent pregnancy loss.
She always took the time to sit down and listen to our concerns and questions. She recognizes the financial and emotional burden this takes on all of us
Elizabeth is the best. She anticipated everything Dr Hurliman will order or next steps. She is incredibly organized and a great communicator. I never felt like she forgot about me or I was left in the dark
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
Expensive. I think more than other clinics. And sometimes hard to get an appt. I’ve learned that I have had to make some appts a couple of months our just to make sure it worked with my work schedule
So far we’ve spent about 25k
She left it up to us
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr. Hurliman is a great communicator who doesn't beat around the bush, but shows compassion. She is an expert in her field, but is not cocky and is easy to talk to. She was always willing to take extra time to answer any questions we had...Don't be afraid to ask questions. No matter how stupid you might think the question is, Dr. Hurliman will always give you an honest answer and never make you feel dumb for asking...
Whitney [nurse at Oregon Repro Med - Port W] was who I talked to when I called in with questions or frustrations. She was absolutely amazing! She was always so patient and never rushed me off the phone. More than once I called crying and confused, and she took the time to comfort me and calm me down. She is filled with hope, but also very realistic. Any question she didn't immediately know the answer to, she would ask Heather and get an answer. Everybody at the clinic was awesome!...
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr. Hurliman and all the staff knew myself and my partner by name.
First, we did three unmedicated cycles of iui. The final three rounds I was on Clomid. The fourth iui resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I am 10 weeks pregnant from the 6th iui. For the first few cycles they did a baseline ultra sound. For all the cycles they did a mid cycle ultrasound.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Whitney )
Whitney was who I talked to when I called in with questions or frustrations. She was absolutely amazing! She was always so patient and never rushed me off the phone. More than once I called crying and confused, and she took the time to comfort me and calm me down. She is filled with hope, but also very realistic. Any question she didn't immediately know the answer to, she would ask Heather and get an answer. Everybody at the clinic was awesome!
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The staff at the clinic was very easy to reach and communicate with.
Portland Westside

Dr Hurliman is quite personal and cared about our LGBT family plan...is very thoughtful and direct. She was empathetic and compassionate as well. Much of the communication is through her assistant, but the questions get answered efficiently. She made Time For hone and video visits and our on site evaluation was planned flawlessly with her spending a lot of time getting to know us and our plan and making sure we were satisfied with our questions being answered...Ask questions, she will answer candidly about anything you need or are worried about...IVF with donor egg. ICSI insemination
[ORM Fertility has] Great teams of staff and doctors. We did find a donor through the list they have, but the list of donors was limited and not incredibly diverse with regards to race. This is representative of Portland, however. The team worked well with us, including the lab and embryology team. There was some turnover in finance, which was difficult because we were in the midst of paying and timing things...[nurse was] Caring compassionate and very friendly. She was instrumental in organizing our visit...Cycle with donor fee and medication was about $45000...IVF with donor egg. ICSI insemination
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Dr Hurliman is very thoughtful and direct. She was empathetic and compassionate as well. Much of the communication is through her assistant, but the questions get answered efficiently. She made Time For hone and video visits and our on site evaluation was planned flawlessly with her spending a lot of time getting to know us and our plan and making sure we were satisfied with our questions being answered.
Dr Hurliman is quite personal and cared about our LGBT family plan
IVF with donor egg. ICSI insemination
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Haley)
Cycle with donor fee and medication was about $45000
Single transfer is absolutely the recommendation of Dr Hurliman
Treated 2015
[Dr. Amanda Hurliman was] Caring and took the time to talk with and check in...She very thoroughly explained with pictures what was happening with my ovaries, pcos. Helpful for me to understand how hormones were working. Was gentle with encouragement to lower bmi but didn't say I couldn't pursue treatment. Did have some issues after using trigger shots a few months in a row, decided to check uterus by more than just ultrasound and found polyp.
The waiting area is small, at peterkort [Oregon Reproductive Medicine]. Not completely private if discussing anything near waiting room or front desk. There are rooms for meeting and of course exam rooms. Artwork in waiting area was dark...People [nurses] took the time to put me at ease. Showed me how to do a trigger shot. Compassionate when we didn't have success...She [Dr. Hurliman] very thoroughly explained with pictures what was happening with my ovaries, pcos. Helpful for me to understand how hormones were working. Was gentle with encouragement to lower bmi but didn't say I couldn't pursue treatment. Did have some issues after using trigger shots a few months in a row, decided to check uterus by more than just ultrasound and found polyp.
How was your experience with Amanda Hurliman at ORM Fertility?
Be open. Ask questions. Discuss expectations. Dr. Hurliman will have a conversation with you and help walk you through.
Caring and took the time to talk with and check in.
Letrozole with trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ORM Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
People took the time to put me at ease. Showed me how to do a trigger shot. Compassionate when we didn't have success.
Describe your experience with ORM Fertility.
The waiting area is small, at peterkort. Not completely private if discussing anything near waiting room or front desk. There are rooms for meeting and of course exam rooms. Artwork in waiting area was dark.
Labs, medications, visits, tests, ultrasounds. All out of pocket.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at ORM Fertility.
If I remember correctly I think that I had received some information/instructions that differed from conversation at appointment and needed further clarification.