Aspire Fertility

Available by cell phone
Doctor personal cell phone
Medical SchoolTexas Tech U.
ResidencyBaylor
FellowshipUCSF
911 W 38th Street
Austin, TX 78705
512-479-7979
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Amanda Skillern to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Aspire Fertility to a friend?
We thought everything was being check with our blood draws and come to find out she [Dr. Skillern] never tested our husband's testosterone levels. We found this out after 2 retrievals and couldn't believe this wasn't done before hand. We wasted two potential cycles and hard earned money as insurance didn't cover IVF. Extremely disappointed.
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
We thought everything was being check with our blood draws and come to find out she never tested our husband's testosterone levels. We found this out after 2 retrievals and couldn't believe this wasn't done before hand. We wasted two potential cycles and hard earned money as insurance didn't cover IVF. Extremely disappointed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
I would seek several other opinions before choosing your doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
She was always so busy with patients, you only get to talk with her if you schedule an appointment after that you only get to email with your nurse and she's busy too. It's such a stressful experience would have hoped they'd be there for you.
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
We had two unsuccessful retrievals when we were trusting in Dr. Skillern to have our best interest at heart. We went to RMA with Male infertility issues and couldn't believe after the two cycles that she never tested my husband's testosterone levels which is a key factor in three success of IVF. We spend over $30,000 without help from insurance and are still trying to work off that debt. A year after we were called by RMA that we owe money for the storage of our abnormal embryos, never once contacted about this until they asked for money. It was resolved but couldn't believe it when we got the invoice. They offered us a discount for a third cycle and never discussed time restraints when when asked. We had some unfortunate medical issues arise and we unable to commit until a year after. Now the discount is no longer available! A few months ago it would of cost $3,000 with insurance covering upto $10,000 and we're being told $17,000+ out of pocket.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
$30,000+ for 2 retrievals
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Skillern is not the most touchy-feely, but she is very honest and pretty easy to talk to. She was completely up-front with us from the get-go, and seemed to communicate with myself and my husband as equals. Also, did every appointment except for blood draws, and was always willing to answer a call or email if I had questions...I always felt like a human, the practice seemed relatively small, never a long wait or crowded waiting room, and the doctors, nurses, and staff were always warm and friendly and answered any questions I had quickly and thoroughly...
The [RMA - Austin] clinic is small and cozy. It is well decorated and relaxing and there was never more than one other person in the waiting room in all my visits. Also I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment and the doctor was never double-booked for an appointment time (unlike other clinics in town we tried). The clinic staff is also well organized and easy to deal with in case of insurance issues or other admin questions...
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
Describe the protocols Amanda Skillern used in your cycles at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas and their degree of success.
I used the antagonist protocol, with a couple weeks of birth control pills before starting stims. Because of my large follicle count, and risk of OHSS, we planned a freeze-all cycle from the beginning. I started off with relatively conservative dosage amounts of Menopur and Follistim and did reduce as we moved forward. Also, since we did a freeze-all, I triggered with Luperon instead of HCG. I started with 24 eggs retrieved, 20 were mature, and 17 fertilized with ICSI. After six days, I had six remaining embryos for transfer. I was able to transfer my next cycle, after a hysteroscopy to double-check my uterus. Because of the grades of my embryos, we transferred one and it was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
I had one primary nurse who took care of my case and scheduling, she was very organized and good at explaining all the steps. She was also very thorough at our IVF class where we discussed my calendar and medications. Also, the rest of the staff including the other nurses and those who took blood and helped out with my retrieval and transfer were great. They make you feel welcome and I remember during my transfer having nearly all the nurses who worked with me while I was being treated in the room keeping my company and wishing me well.
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
The clinic is small and cozy. It is well decorated and relaxing and there was never more than one other person in the waiting room in all my visits. Also I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment and the doctor was never double-booked for an appointment time (unlike other clinics in town we tried). The clinic staff is also well organized and easy to deal with in case of insurance issues or other admin questions.
Unfortunately I did not have insurance coverage for IVF. The clinic offers a service that provided a "bundle price" for the procedure plus medications that was lower than the "list price." For all meds, plus IVF, plus a frozen transfer I paid roughly $16,000. The clinic does a good job billing what they can to insurance and they helped me out writing care summaries and letters to insurance to get me a couple claims covered that were originally denied.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Despite being diagnosed with fibroid (which are a KNOWN cause of infertility), she [Dr. Amanda Skillern] wanted us to move forward with IUI or IVF. I asked about surgery to remove them to which she replied, "No, we'll leave them in. That would be a bloody mess." She only wanted money from us and didn't care about the outcome.... She was candid about me having fibroids but completely focused on getting us to move forward with IUI or IVF. She never provided any other alternatives and was just matter of fact in saying that I had "unexplained infertility" -- which was most definitely not the case after a second opinion
They [Aspire/RMA of TX] don't provide you much information, even if you ask for it regarding IUI or IVF pricing and procedures. That's a huge life decision that you don't just jump into blindly. After two weeks of calling every other day, the info they provided was only high level pricing and zero details. They need to get their stuff together!... When seeking a second opinion, a records request was sent 3 weeks in advance. My new doctor never received any records. While sitting in the doctors office, we called them about this and they blatantly lied to us telling us it had been sent, but they'd send it over now. Still to this day, it was never received by the new doctor.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
She was candid about me having fibroids but completely focused on getting us to move forward with IUI or IVF. She never provided any other alternatives and was just matter of fact in saying that I had "unexplained infertility" -- which was most definitely not the case after a second opinion. She's a second rate doctor that should find another profession.
Go somewhere else and don't waste your time with her!! She's awful!!
Despite being diagnosed with fibroid (which are a KNOWN cause of infertility), she wanted us to move forward with IUI or IVF. I asked about surgery to remove them to which she replied, "No, we'll leave them in. That would be a bloody mess." She only wanted money from us and didn't care about the outcome.
They were very nice, but not organized. I got passed off to 3 different nurses for a simple blood draw. VERY weird!!!!!
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
They don't provide you much information, even if you ask for it regarding IUI or IVF pricing and procedures. That's a huge life decision that you don't just jump into blindly. After two weeks of calling every other day, the info they provided was only high level pricing and zero details. They need to get their stuff together!
Initially just copays. But ended up having to pay out of pocket because they fraudulently coded my consultation as "infertility". All I went to them for was diagnostics!!! She never did ANY procedures or treatments on me.
Describe Amanda Skillern's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr Amanda Skillern] was very honest and transparent. No sugar coating. She knew me and my husband and made me feel very comfortable. I never felt like their office was extremely busy and they were getting me in and out. I always had great conversation and she answered all my questions. She even gave me her email address if I needed anything.
I was fortunate enough to have insurance that covered IVF [at RMA of Taxas in Austin]. I only had to pay 20% after my deductible was met. I did pay for CCS services and that was $2,500 I think cash payment of IVF ranged from 10k-25k...All the staff were fantastic! I had a fertility coach who helped guide me with our plan and medications. She was great at helping and always was available to answer questions.
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
Got pregnant on our 1st round of IVF with RMA under her care. She was fantastic and I highly recommend. She always set expectations and was in every appointment besides blood draws. Loved her!
She will be very frank with you and not sugar coat. She does not talk to much about the future and talks about today and the next step. I'm a huge planner, so it took me awhile to adjust to this, but with infertility it was the best for me. You can't plan to far ahead with this. You need to be in the moment and think about today and the next appointment and what needs to be done between then.
He was so great with our care. She was very honest and transparent. No sugar coating. She knew me and my husband and made me feel very comfortable. I never felt like their office was extremely busy and they were getting me in and out. I always had great conversation and she answered all my questions. She even gave me her email address if I needed anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
Great! Clean and modern. Staff was fantastic and felt like home. I was kind of sad to be released to my OB because I had been ther so often.
I was fortunate enough to have insurance that covered IVF. I only had to pay 20% after my deductible was met. I did pay for CCS services and that was $2,500 I think cash payment of IVF ranged from 10k-25k
+ Read more- Read less

She [Dr. Amanda Skillern] is very blunt. I do appreciate this but prefer more compassion than I got from her. She did not do both of my egg retrieval’s which I didn’t appreciate. She set realistic expectations on how many eggs I should expect and viable embryos after testing. I haven’t done the transfer yet so can’t review that process.... She prescribed - Lupron 10 ml while taking birth control pill then I moved on to Follistim 300 IU, menopur , omnitrope 50 ml. Then Pregnyl shot.
[Aspire Fertility/RMA of TX is a] Very nice clinic. All facilities onsite including where you do the egg retrieval. Clean and parking is covered. My husband said the male quarters could be enhanced. Very small room with little frills.... Full IVF $17,000 after slight discount Egg retrieval $11,000. Testing covered under insurance since we are CF carriers.... Since I did two retrieval’s I have worked with two different nurses who were both great!
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
She is very blunt. I do appreciate this but prefer more compassion than I got from her. She did not do both of my egg retrieval’s which I didn’t appreciate. She set realistic expectations on how many eggs I should expect and viable embryos after testing. I haven’t done the transfer yet so can’t review that process.
Don’t expect warm and fuzzies. She is to the point and you won’t have a ton of interaction with her.
The nurses and front desk staff are very attentive. When with Dr. Skillern she seems rushed at times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Charlotte Purdy & Ricky Richardson )
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
She will only do a single embryo transfer. I don’t have many viable embryos so I am ok with this method. If I had more and wasn’t doing PGD and PGS testing I may feel different.

IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Amanda Skillern] is pretty frank in the chances of conception. She does seem to go through a planned script but I imagine that is intentional to be sure all details are in order...Dr. Skillern is not chatty and no nonsense. There is no time for banter. Come prepared...The baseline examinations are very quick. If you have questions during a procedure, be sure to let them know you have questions and they need to be answered.
[The nurses at RMA of Texas] Very thorough in answering of questions and timely in getting back to me during stimulation cycle...the self pay price with genetic testing is about $20,000 + medication...They seem very organized and centrally located...16 eggs produced, 9 fertilized, 2 made to embryo stage, 1 was normal Lupron = 20 units for 10 days / 10 units during stimulation phase Follistim = 150 IU for 11 days Menopur = 150 IU for 11 days Omnitrope = 25 IU for 11 days I had a failed cycle before where the embryo was not normal. Omnitrope was added to the protocol and not covered by insurance.
IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
Be sure to come prepared with any questions you have in advance. The baseline examinations are very quick. If you have questions during a procedure, be sure to let them know you have questions and they need to be answered.
She is pretty frank in the chances of conception. She does seem to go through a planned script but I imagine that is intentional to be sure all details are in order.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Harmon)
Describe your experience with Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas.
They seem very organized and centrally located.
I have insurance so that changes things but the self pay price with genetic testing is about $20,000 + medication
Doctor has strong preference for eSET

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Skillern was great, but at times I felt she was rushed or didn't take time to reassure me in the midst of concerns. She did everything right though, and I'm pregnant now. Compared to experiences I've heard at other clinics, she is a lot more on top of potential complications and preventing them. I didn't mind her blunt personality... My protocols seemed to be fairly standard. They do use birth control to start your cycle at the best time for them to manage office visits, but that actually helped my cycles to go by the book.
[RMA-Austin is] Small, stay on schedule, quick in and out, all services done in house, but they do keep everyone on a similar schedule so it can feel like an assembly line if you let it. I didn't mind it and appreciated that they started on time.... My protocols seemed to be fairly standard. They do use birth control to start your cycle at the best time for them to manage office visits, but that actually helped my cycles to go by the book.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at Aspire Fertility/ RMA of Texas?
Be patient and trust her.
Lots of patients in and out in a short period of time
They were busy so responses were sometimes delayed, but overall they were great.
Covered under work benefits