RMA of Texas

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolTexas Tech U.
ResidencyBaylor
FellowshipUCSF
911 W. 38th St
Austin, TX 78705
512.479.7979
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Amanda Skillern to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Texas to a friend?
Dr. Skillern is not the most touchy-feely, but she is very honest and pretty easy to talk to. She was completely up-front with us from the get-go, and seemed to communicate with myself and my husband as equals. Also, did every appointment except for blood draws, and was always willing to answer a call or email if I had questions...I always felt like a human, the practice seemed relatively small, never a long wait or crowded waiting room, and the doctors, nurses, and staff were always warm and friendly and answered any questions I had quickly and thoroughly...
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
Describe the protocols Amanda Skillern used in your cycles at RMA of Texas and their degree of success.
I used the antagonist protocol, with a couple weeks of birth control pills before starting stims. Because of my large follicle count, and risk of OHSS, we planned a freeze-all cycle from the beginning. I started off with relatively conservative dosage amounts of Menopur and Follistim and did reduce as we moved forward. Also, since we did a freeze-all, I triggered with Luperon instead of HCG. I started with 24 eggs retrieved, 20 were mature, and 17 fertilized with ICSI. After six days, I had six remaining embryos for transfer. I was able to transfer my next cycle, after a hysteroscopy to double-check my uterus. Because of the grades of my embryos, we transferred one and it was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas.
I had one primary nurse who took care of my case and scheduling, she was very organized and good at explaining all the steps. She was also very thorough at our IVF class where we discussed my calendar and medications. Also, the rest of the staff including the other nurses and those who took blood and helped out with my retrieval and transfer were great. They make you feel welcome and I remember during my transfer having nearly all the nurses who worked with me while I was being treated in the room keeping my company and wishing me well.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
The clinic is small and cozy. It is well decorated and relaxing and there was never more than one other person in the waiting room in all my visits. Also I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment and the doctor was never double-booked for an appointment time (unlike other clinics in town we tried). The clinic staff is also well organized and easy to deal with in case of insurance issues or other admin questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas.
Unfortunately I did not have insurance coverage for IVF. The clinic offers a service that provided a "bundle price" for the procedure plus medications that was lower than the "list price." For all meds, plus IVF, plus a frozen transfer I paid roughly $16,000. The clinic does a good job billing what they can to insurance and they helped me out writing care summaries and letters to insurance to get me a couple claims covered that were originally denied.
Austin
She [Dr Amanda Skillern] was very honest and transparent. No sugar coating. She knew me and my husband and made me feel very comfortable. I never felt like their office was extremely busy and they were getting me in and out. I always had great conversation and she answered all my questions. She even gave me her email address if I needed anything.
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
Got pregnant on our 1st round of IVF with RMA under her care. She was fantastic and I highly recommend. She always set expectations and was in every appointment besides blood draws. Loved her!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
She will be very frank with you and not sugar coat. She does not talk to much about the future and talks about today and the next step. I'm a huge planner, so it took me awhile to adjust to this, but with infertility it was the best for me. You can't plan to far ahead with this. You need to be in the moment and think about today and the next appointment and what needs to be done between then.
He was so great with our care. She was very honest and transparent. No sugar coating. She knew me and my husband and made me feel very comfortable. I never felt like their office was extremely busy and they were getting me in and out. I always had great conversation and she answered all my questions. She even gave me her email address if I needed anything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas.
All the staff were fantastic! I had a fertility coach who helped guide me with our plan and medications. She was great at helping and always was available to answer questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Great! Clean and modern. Staff was fantastic and felt like home. I was kind of sad to be released to my OB because I had been ther so often.
I was fortunate enough to have insurance that covered IVF. I only had to pay 20% after my deductible was met. I did pay for CCS services and that was $2,500 I think cash payment of IVF ranged from 10k-25k
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Texas?
IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Amanda Skillern] is pretty frank in the chances of conception. She does seem to go through a planned script but I imagine that is intentional to be sure all details are in order...Dr. Skillern is not chatty and no nonsense. There is no time for banter. Come prepared...The baseline examinations are very quick. If you have questions during a procedure, be sure to let them know you have questions and they need to be answered.
IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
Be sure to come prepared with any questions you have in advance. The baseline examinations are very quick. If you have questions during a procedure, be sure to let them know you have questions and they need to be answered.
She is pretty frank in the chances of conception. She does seem to go through a planned script but I imagine that is intentional to be sure all details are in order.
16 eggs produced, 9 fertilized, 2 made to embryo stage, 1 was normal Lupron = 20 units for 10 days / 10 units during stimulation phase Follistim = 150 IU for 11 days Menopur = 150 IU for 11 days Omnitrope = 25 IU for 11 days I had a failed cycle before where the embryo was not normal. Omnitrope was added to the protocol and not covered by insurance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Texas. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Harmon)
Very thorough in answering of questions and timely in getting back to me during stimulation cycle.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
They seem very organized and centrally located.
I have insurance so that changes things but the self pay price with genetic testing is about $20,000 + medication
Describe Amanda Skillern's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Texas.
Doctor has strong preference for eSET
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Skillern was great, but at times I felt she was rushed or didn't take time to reassure me in the midst of concerns. She did everything right though, and I'm pregnant now. Compared to experiences I've heard at other clinics, she is a lot more on top of potential complications and preventing them. I didn't mind her blunt personality... My protocols seemed to be fairly standard. They do use birth control to start your cycle at the best time for them to manage office visits, but that actually helped my cycles to go by the book.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Amanda Skillern at RMA of Texas?
Be patient and trust her.
Lots of patients in and out in a short period of time
They were busy so responses were sometimes delayed, but overall they were great.
Describe your experience with RMA of Texas.
Small, stay on schedule, quick in and out, all services done in house, but they do keep everyone on a similar schedule so it can feel like an assembly line if you let it. I didn't mind it and appreciated that they started on time.
Covered under work benefits
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Texas?