Medical SchoolUCSF
Los Angeles
1127 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90017
213.975.9990
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Amy Dhesi to a friend?
9.9

9.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente SoCal to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. ... Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Dr. Dhesi treated me for our infertility issues since Jan 2018 - at first, I had a misdiagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve after a blood test showed low AMH levels. This left me absolutely devastated and it took Dr. Dhesi and Kaiser doctors 5 months to realize that my AFC didn't match my AMH, so they re-tested my AMH and it came back normal. My diagnosis was switched to unexplained infertility. I think Dr. Dhesi did her best to be attentive and personable with me, and I believe her treatment for the second IUI was the most personable and thorough - she followed through with all our appointments, and she even sent a kind note after the negative pregnancy test after the 2nd IUI didn't work. However, our first and third IUIs with her were a bit cold and distant, which I attribute to her being extremely overworked and overbooked, and she didn't see us for some of our appointments. She also didn't follow through after our 3rd IUI failed, and when she ordered more tests and bloodwork to determine what other issues might be going on (e.g. endometrial biopsy, sonohysterogram) - she wasn't very forthcoming with information - again, likely due to being stretched too thin and having too many patients and commitments. For example, in a follow up appointment after my failed 3rd IUI, Dr. Dhesi noticed that I had an AFC of 30+ follicles, and she was concerned I might have PCOS - she ordered blood tests and never followed up with me to let me know that I did *not* have PCOS after all. I had to ask her to interpret the lab results and what that meant. Again, I do really like Dr. Dhesi as a person and she is a very knowledgeable doctor and when she has the time, does give proper attention, information and answers all my questions. But because of the way Kaiser operates and is structured, close and personal care at their Infertility clinic is just not possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I would be ready to see multiple doctors during any treatment cycle if you have Kaiser - Dr. Dhesi herself is a wonderful and caring, competent doctor, however, it is unlikely that you will only be seeing her throughout your IUI cycles. I would prepare yourself for dealing with a very very busy and understaffed clinic, and very little one on one attention.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
I believe Dr. Dhesi is a wonderful, attentive and competent doctor, however, the facility of Kaiser isn't conducive for one-on-one patient care. When dealing with infertility, it is hard to deal with a clinic that is overbooked, overwhelmed and understaffed, which is what happened during my care with Kaiser. Dr. Dhesi was as attentive as she could be with me given the circumstances, but in the end, I do not believe I got the best one-on-one care because she was so stretched thin at the Kaiser Sunset clinic and other Kaiser clinics in the city. I felt like a human when Dr. Dhesi saw me, but in general, Kaiser's Infertility clinic operates more like a corporate hospital churning patients in and out of clinics.
Describe the protocols Amy Dhesi used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente SoCal and their degree of success.
I did 3 IUIs with Dr. Dhesi - my case was unique, as I started off with DOR and then ended with many follicles after my 3rd IUI. My first IUI I just did chlomid and insemination, which was terrible on my lining and gave my horrible side effects. I would stay away from chlomid especially if the patient is over 35 years old. The 2nd and 3rd IUIs were injectable medication cycles, and this was much better on my lining, however, I produced too many follicles and they weren't large enough for a successful insemination. For my situation personally, IVF is a better treatment plan than IUI as I tend to over-produce and over-respond to stimulating drugs. Dr. Dhesi did say that she would definitely change the medication dosage so that I don't over-respond, however, I am not willing to go through another IUI cycle and we are moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca Lopez)
I loved Dr. Dhesi's staff and the NPs that worked at the clinic - it was obvious that they all cared for their patients and took the time to answer all my questions, my emails, and phone calls. Similar to Dr. Dhesi, they were extremely overworked and understaffed so any of their shortcomings were due 100% to Kaiser's unwillingness to provide more staff at their Sunset location.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Kaiser Infertility clinic on Sunset has/had many structural shortcomings and oversights. I was almost unable to be seen for a 2nd IUI because they did not have enough staff to cover the baseline appointments. This caused a lot of emotional stress and strain, and I did actually file a grievance with Kaiser - the administration's decision to not provide more funding and hire more staff for the infertility clinic directly affected my ability to receive treatment, along with many other patients. I was eventually able to be seen for my 2nd IUI, but I could see how the infertility department was not given the funds or staffing resources necessary to have it operate at its full potential. The benefit, however, is that I did have all my IUI treatments and medications covered through my Kaiser insurance, which was a huge financial benefit for me and my husband. It does feel that you are just one of hundreds of patients, and it seems like this clinic needs way more resources and funding to help expand it and cater to the needs of their (many) patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
My costs were covered through insurance - the only great thing about Kaiser!
Describe Amy Dhesi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Los Angeles- Sunset

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Dhesi has been an incredible doctor through this process. I always feel comfortable with her and she explains everything to me and my husband very clearly. She doesn't rush and will discusses pro and cons with each procedure...She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
European, Black or African-American, Other
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Dhesi has been a great doctor from the beginning. She has answered EVERY question we have and does not rush through our appointments. She has been very clear with our treatment and I definitely feel as though she cares about me as her patient.
I would say Dr. Dhesi has a very proactive strategy. She laid out all of the options and recommended first steps based on our situation. We were able to follow her recommendation (clomid and IUI) and were pregnant the first cycle. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a MMC. Later we got pregnant on our own and were monitored very closely by Dr. Dhesi. I was diagnosed with a SCH and later had another MMC. She doesn't hesitate to check anything that may be a potential contributing factor and I appreciate that. During our last loss, she suggested next steps and I am comfortable following her recommendations.
Most of the nurses have been awesome. There have been a couple of nurses who were inconsiderate during difficult appointments.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente SoCal.
Very efficient. Most of the time they run on time and are clear with the process of the appointment. I appreciate that I can email to contact the nurse and ask questions. Occasionally, it can be difficult to get through by phone to talk with the appropriate person.
Insurance covers 50% and we pay 50% coinsurance
Los Angeles- Sunset

She [Dr. Amy Dhesi] was very caring and concerned with our situation. I turned 44 during treatment, at which time KP no longer does fertility treatments, and she did everything she could to try to get us to have a successful outcome in the short time we had.... She also recommended several options outside of KP for us to turn to after we were released from her program.... Don't be afraid to ask questions, she's very receptive to answering any concerns you have and open about the process and possible outcomes.
How was your experience with Amy Dhesi at Kaiser Permanente SoCal?
She tried very hard to help us have a successful outcome, and had we not 'aged out' of Kaiser's program, I have every confidence that we would have succeeded. She also recommended several options outside of KP for us to turn to after we were released from her program.
She was very caring and concerned with our situation. I turned 44 during treatment, at which time KP no longer does fertility treatments, and she did everything she could to try to get us to have a successful outcome in the short time we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente SoCal. (Assigned nurse: Salpi)
All of the nurses and staff were amazing. Very friendly and open and caring.
I only had to pay for co-pays for office visits and prescriptions. Both were very reasonable rates.