Medical SchoolU. of Massachusetts
New London
4 SHAWS COVE
New London, CT 06320
(877) 860 8044
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Andrea DiLuigi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) to a friend?
I always felt comfortable [with Dr. Andrea DiLuigi]...Doctor DiLuigi is smart, kind, empathetic, easy to relate to. I never waited long, never felt the office was overbooked, was able to get the time I needed with her. It was a great experience...17 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized normally, 2 fertilized abnormally, 6 made it to day 5, 1 transferred (successfully), 5 frozen - drugs used centrotide, gonal F, HCG trigger, progesterone in oil injections
How was your experience with Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I always felt comfortable. Doctor DiLuigi is smart, kind, empathetic, easy to relate to. I never waited long, never felt the office was overbooked, was able to get the time I needed with her. It was a great experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
Be open, ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
I loved being a patient at CARS. Always felt like every member of the office cared about me and my journey. Every person in the office had empathy and was genuine.
Describe the protocols Andrea DiLuigi used in your cycles at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical) and their degree of success.
Round 1 IUI - 75 mg clomid, another 75mg Round 2 IUI - HSG and 150 mg clomid, trigger Round 3 IUI - 150mg clomid and trigger Round 4 IUI - 150 mg clomid and trigger Round 5 IUI - 150 mg clomid and trigger Month 6 rest Month 7 - IVF, 17 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized normally, 2 fertilized abnormally, 6 made it to day 5, 1 transferred (successfully), 5 frozen - drugs used centrotide, gonal F, HCG trigger, progesterone in oil injections
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Chelsea and Tony)
Chelsea - IUI nurse, amazing. Tony - IVF nurse, even more amazing
Describe your experience with Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Was able to get an appointment fairly quickly. Office was very Organized. All staff was approachable. Everyone was professional. The environment was warm and welcoming. There aren’t any weaknesses I experienced.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Easy and as efficient as possible given there were times when many people would need to be seen. I never waited more than 15 minute and there were times when the waiting room was PACKED.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea DiLuigi at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
Fairly reasonable. My insurance did pay for a portion of the treatments so my out of pocket expenses were not as significant as I thought they would be. Monthly IUIs cost around $200 out of pocket. My IVF cycle cost about $3000 out of pocket & $4000 for meds out of pocket.
Describe Andrea DiLuigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical).
I wanted 2 embryos transferred and Dr. D said no. She was very kind in how she explained that 2 embryos would be risky, and given my age and medical history, she felt 1 was the best course of action. She was right.
Hartford
I was so happy with the support and treatment I received. She [Dr. Andrea DiLuigi] was extremely thorough during the initial appointment and I felt that she had a good plan to help us achieve our goals. She performed surgery to remove polyps in my uterus before we could even start and she always put my anxiety at ease. I trusted in her ability to create a successful outcome (which she did!). I was disappointed that she didn't perform the actual retrieval and transfer, but was equally impressed with her team of doctors and it made sense to ensure the timing worked out.
I was so happy with the support and treatment I received. She was extremely thorough during the initial appointment and I felt that she had a good plan to help us achieve our goals. She performed surgery to remove polyps in my uterus before we could even start and she always put my anxiety at ease. I trusted in her ability to create a successful outcome (which she did!). I was disappointed that she didn't perform the actual retrieval and transfer, but was equally impressed with her team of doctors and it made sense to ensure the timing worked out. I would absolutely recommend Dr. DiLuigi and CARS for anyone undergoing fertility treatment.
I felt that Dr. DiLuigi really cared about me and making it work.
I decided to conduct DNA testing on the embryos before transfer, which I would highly recommend. It's expensive but increases chances dramatically and helps avoid the potential heart break of a miscarriage if the DNA isn't right. Because the eggs had to be frozen to do that, my transfer was done on a natural cycle. Although I had to wait an extra month, it was so worth it and I avoided another round of painful shots since we did it naturally. I just followed the recommendations of the team and it all worked out!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Toni)
Toni was absolutely amazing. She was caring, took her time to explain everything, and was invested in my well-being and success.
I was very happy overall. The only drawback was driving to Farmington instead of Hartford for bloodwork/ultrasounds needed on weekends. Otherwise, they were very efficient and made the process very easy.
It was pretty efficient. There were a couple days that were very busy and took up to an hour to complete bloodwork, but for the most part I was done within 10 minutes.
Amanda
The doctor recommended I do a single transfer and DNA testing since at my age she would have had to transfer 2 if I didn't do the test. We wanted to avoid multiples and increase chances of success, so that was the right decision for us.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
While it's not always easy to get an appointment with Dr. DiLuigi, when I do speak with her in person or on the phone, she always takes as much time as I need to understand everything and ask questions. She has a positive attitude without over-promising.
I had/have a good relationship with Dr. DiLuigi; while it's not always easy to get an appointment, when I do meet with her in person or on the phone, she takes as much time as we need to go over everything in as much detail as I want and answer any questions. She assumes a level of intelligence and has always confirmed that I know what I'm talking about when I come to her with questions/requests based on my own research. She has a positive attitude without over-promising. I enjoy interacting with her more than a couple others on the clinic's staff (both doctors and support staff). (Though I have no MAJOR complaints about them either.)
I've tried IVF cycles with 4 different protocols so far: Lupron/birth control pills/microflare (+ injectables), Clomid (+ injectables), Femara (+ injectables), and estrogen patch (+ injectables). I'm a "poor responder" so I've only gotten one embryo so far (and it failed PGS). Still trying.
My IVF nurse has spent a ton of time on phone calls with me and calling me back, so in that regard she's amazing and I don't know how she does it. That said, she doesn't have quite the level of knowledge that the doctor has, so it's difficult to try to communicate with the doctor through her as an intermediary sometimes, when I'd prefer to just speak with my doctor.
This clinic is the only one I've been too, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. So far I've been going there almost a year and I haven't made it to an egg transfer yet, but I'm assume that's because of my own low ovarian reserve and poor response to stimulation. But other than some significant snags with understanding my insurance coverage that actually did effect my treatment plans (they have a financial dept dedicated to being a liaison with your insurance company, but it's not foolproof), my experience with the clinic has been good. Egg retrievals are pretty much a breeze. HSG, which is supposed to be potentially really painful, was fine and just merely uncomfortable--and Dr. DiLuigi was super understanding about my anxiety and coddled me through the whole thing:)
It's a well-oiled cattle call:) There are morning hours for cycling bloodwork/ulstrasound (so everyone cycling that week has to come in between 7:30 and 9 am, about every other day, and it's first come, first served). There's a long wait sometimes, but it generally works pretty smoothly. I'm an hour away from the clinic though, so I do lose a lot of sleep during those weeks trying to get there at the crack of dawn. It's also important to note: The clinic has a New London location, however its main office is in Farmington. So only very rarely can you do your cycling blood work and ultrasounds in New London; it's a very bare-bones office with only one nurse who is not always available (and there's no doctor there). So if you're in southern CT and think this clinic is nearby you...it's not really. You'll be going to Farmington or Hartford most of the time.
If you're not covered by insurance, they offer a "discounted" self-pay plan. I think it's about $19K for IVF (not including meds) and $500 for the most basic IUI (including meds). My insurance does cover my services, however because of a high deductible and some optional meds I chose (growth hormone, DHEA, CoQ10), I've still ended up paying about $9-12K/year out of pocket.
They offer ESET but my insurance doesn't have a policy on it, so technically I'm not using it. (Though I'm only transferring a single embryo anyway.)
What specific things went wrong at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical)?
New London
Dr. DiLuigi was extremely kind and encouraging. As a patient she made me feel very comfortable. I always felt like I could ask her anything, and would get an honest response. I felt that there were times where she definitely went above and beyond for me...Dr. Diluigi and her team were kind, easy to talk to, encouraging, and set realistic expectations. They acknowledged all of my fears and concerns and made the most challenging year of my life a little more bearable.
Be blunt and don't be afraid to ask questions. She will answer them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Toni Sullivan )
Dr. DiLuigi's nursing staff is top notch! I looked forward to my daily calls with Toni and truly felt she was whole heartedly routing for me throughout my journey. She was profession and kind while making sure I felt like a human and not a number.
Strengths: Early Hours, open almost everyday of the year, great staff and physicians Weaknesses: They list the New London location as a office location without any caveats, however the hours and capabilities are very limited in New London and the doctors are only in the office their twice a month. This means that a patient like me who lives in South Eastern, CT has to drive an hour each way to Hartford or Farmington for 90% of appointments, including cycle monitoring appointments. This makes it extremely difficult for patients who work full time and are trying to juggle the stress of a job, with the stress of an IVF cycle.
Monitoring appointments were on a first come, first serve basis. Often patients (myself included) would get there long before the doors open to stand in line in order to get in and out as quickly as possible and get to work on time.
Our one full IVF cycle with meds, monitoring, retrieval, ICSI, labs. anesthesia, etc. cost about $20,000. IUI without meds was about $450
Dr. DiLuigi made it clear that as a practice they prefer to do eSET, however every patient and case is different and in my experience she felt comfortable (as long as we were completely OK with the prospect of multiples) with transferring 2 embryos on Day 3.
Hartford
While I didn't usually see Dr. DiLuigi directly, when I did see her she was also kind and completely up to date on our treatment plan...Dr. DiLuigi diagnosed me with PCOS at our initial consultation after giving me an ultrasound. We used injectable medication (Follistim) and a trigger shot (Ovidrel) for all of our cycles. The first cycles we did timed intercourse, and the other three included IUI. We were on the calendar to start IVF, but our final IUI was successful!
I selected Dr. DiLuigi because she was the only female doctor at the Center. She was always pleasant, compassionate, and honest about our treatment options. At first I was bothered by the fact that I didn't see her often (during one of our four cycles I didn't see her at all). When I did see her, however, she was completely aware of our treatment status, and this made me feel good about the fact that she was following our journey even when she didn't see us at appointments.
Don't expect to see her all the time. She is available for meetings and consultations, and you will see her occasionally for monitoring or procedures, but understand that you will often see her support staff or other clinicians.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Marie Heslin)
Marie was amazing! She is the person who I saw most often at the clinic, and after four cycles I really felt like I got to know her and she me. She is compassionate, straightforward, and just a pleasure to be around. She made difficult appointments tolerable and was always available to answer questions. She ALWAYS returned phone calls, even if she couldn't get back to you until 6pm.
The Center has numerous locations. While I usually went to Hartford, I went to the Farmington location on weekends or occasionally during the week. The support staff is all great to work with, and the locations are clean and as inviting as such a place can be. There are numerous doctors in the practice, so you will not always see your main doctor. While this can be seen as a drawback, it also means that monitoring goes more quickly as there are often multiple doctors and nurses working at a given time.
Our insurance covered the majority of our fertility care. The office offered different payment options for those without insurance, but I am not familiar with those.
4 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
Uconn refused to work with my husband and i after doing 6 IVF cycles due to no pregnancy result. Dr. DiLuigi does not follow up after failed cycles. She had very limited contact with me unless I scheduled to meet with her or had a compliant.
4 IUI, 9 IVF, Donor Eggs
No sucess yet!!!!! Uconn refused to work with my husband and i after doing 6 ivf cycles due to no pregnancy result. Dr. DiLuigi does not follow up after failed cycles. She had very limited contact with me unless I scheduled to meet with her or had a compliant.
Go to her husband, Dr. Schmidt
I have done all the protocols
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Advanced Reproductive Services (UCONN Medical). (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Very responsive and sweet