Medical SchoolU. of Alabama
ResidencyBaylor
20 Hughes Road,
Madison, AL 35758
256.213.2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Andrew Harper to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Huntsville Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Andrew Harper] can be very technical and some people can be overwhelmed by that. Personally, it suited me quite well.... r. Harper not only helped me get officially diagnosed with an NIH list of rare diseases disorder, but he was there every step helping me find treatment options that worked for me and he never let me feel that I was on my own or that my problems were not important. He may be an adorkable quiet guy with a lot of big words, but he cares about every family that walks in his door and while he's not very openly emotional, his actions will show you how much he cares and that whatever is happening, he will believe you and help you.
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
He can be very technical and some people can be overwhelmed by that. Personally, it suited me quite well. The thing that stands out most to me was that after my children were born, I started having autoimmune symptoms that my ob/gyn did not take seriously. Dr. Harper not only helped me get officially diagnosed with an NIH list of rare diseases disorder, but he was there every step helping me find treatment options that worked for me and he never let me feel that I was on my own or that my problems were not important. He may be an adorkable quiet guy with a lot of big words, but he cares about every family that walks in his door and while he's not very openly emotional, his actions will show you how much he cares and that whatever is happening, he will believe you and help you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. Don't feel intimidated or embarrassed. He's seen it all and he wants to help you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I'm a biochemist. Dr. Harper not only talked to me like a respected patient, but like an educated colleague, too.
Describe the protocols Andrew Harper used in your cycles at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did lupron IVF protocol for 15 eggs, 9 embryos, 3 that were viable at transfer, 2 transferred and the last one did not make it to cryo. I carried twins to 37 weeks. I don't recall all the various drugs and dosages anymore of the things that didn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
Christine was a great personality match for me! She listened to what I had to say and always answered my questions. My kids are in kindergarten now and we're still in touch.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
They're very clear about what your options are financially, options to help when available and I never had any trouble at all with the office. They're great! I only know one nurse that's still there, but I can't see Dr. Harper hiring a bad one. This is a place where they care about their patients, and whether the end result is a pregnancy, or referral for adoption, or finding closure another way, they will go with you for every step.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Approximately $20,000 for two retrievals and associated IVF costs.
Describe Andrew Harper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
They did a great job talking to us about the options. We had three, transferred two and the last one never looked great and didn't make it to cryo. I surprised myself by grieving for that last embryo, and both Dr. Harper and the nursing staff were supportive when I needed it.
Madison
We have met with Dr. Harper 2x and he was thorough. Sometimes he talked above our heads though....Dr. Harper is a very educated man...i wish I would be able to talk personally with Dr. Harper myself instead of making an appt. To see him.He did answer our questions but sometimes used technical terms that we were not familiar with. ...He told us it was on my end because of the laparoscopy results from my gynecologist....I'm a Type 1 diabetic so he said my A1c had to be at a certain number and my endocrinologist had to be the ultimate one to determine if my A1c was at a good level before he would do anything.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Harper is a very educated man but did kinda talk above our understanding. He did answer our questions but sometimes used technical terms that we were not familiar with. Before meeting Dr. Harper we meet with the Nurse practitioner, she was very kind and talked more on our level.
Be open to all possibilities. Have an understanding before you walk in there of what might happen and what will happen. Have your questions ready and prepared so you are not caught off guard by one of his answers or his questions.
We have met with Dr. Harper 2x and he was thorough. Sometimes he talked above our heads though. The nursing staff is excellent and has always made me feel comfortable in an uncomfortable situation and with my last IUI Dr. Harper had left for the day but the 2 nurses that did the IUI had trouble finding my cervix and had to call Dr. Harper. He was an hour away but was helpful in helping them find it. It took longer than any of my other IUIs and caused a little bit of pain. Joan my nurse gave me 3 Tylenol and a glass of water before I left.
He told us it was on my end because of the laparoscopy results from my gynecologist. We would do at least 3 IUIs and if they failed we would have a meeting with him to discuss IVF. We had our meeting after our 3rd IUI and discussed IVF. I'm a Type 1 diabetic so he said my A1c had to be at a certain number and my endocrinologist had to be the ultimate one to determine if my A1c was at a good level before he would do anything. My husband and I were the ones to decide to do the 4th IUI before we went on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Joan or Jennifer )
Every Nurse at Dr. Harper's office is great. They show compassion and are very upbeat and positive. They get back with me in a timely manner and are very prompt. They are informative in person and over the phone.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
They all are very helpful and do what they can to give you good information of what the Dr. had to say. I wish I would be able to talk personally with Dr. Harper myself instead of making an appt. To see him.
Each IUI cost me $295 out of pocket because my insurance covers NOTHING!! My IVF cost with meds and procedure $12K
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Harper is kind & quiet. He has been forthcoming about the obstacles at hand, but has always delivered the truth eloquently. I do not see Dr. Harper at every visit. I do not feel that it would be necessary to do so. Dr. Harper has always been willing to meet with my husband and I to discuss any change in treatment, medication, or concerns.... He conveys his concern for our wellbeing and is always happy to meet with us if we have concerns.
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I feel like a human, because I truely feel that they long for my husband and I to have a successful pregnancy just as we do. He conveys his concern for our wellbeing and is always happy to meet with us if we have concerns.
I began treament with oral Femera. After 3 failed cycles, we began IUI. The first IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy and the 3 following resulted in 3 negative pregnancy tests. I had a exploratory lap after the 3rd failed IUI. Dr. Harper found mild endometriosis and confirmed a unicornuate uterus. After the 4th failed IUI, we decided to began IVF. I have had 1 egg retrieval resulting in 7 eggs retrieved. 3 eggs survived. We transferred 1 embryo 5 days after the retrieval, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I have had 2 frozen transfers, both of which resulted in negative pregnancy tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
I can't say enough about how wonderful Dr. Harper's nursing staff is. Chelsea is organized & prompt. I truely feel that I can approach her with any concern. She has become a friend during this process. I believe my experience at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine has been so positive largely in part due to the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
The billing and front desk would be my only complaint. I have experienced unnecessary stress due to billing at this office. Every instance was a mistake made by the billing department. The front desk person is often unfriendly.
Our insurance only covers up until diagnosis. It does not cover any type of treatment. The IUI procedure cost was approximately $300, not including medication costs. We opted for a shared risk IVF program. We paid approximately $16,000, not including medication, for treatment over the next 3 years or 6 fresh cycles.
Dr. Harper has recommended single embryo transfers at this time due to the nature of my uterus (very small, limited room).
2014 - 2017
[With Dr. Andrew Harper] My husband had Hodgkins Lymphoma and the chemotherapy caused him to have a low sperm count and low motility. Our treatment plan was that we'd have only a 1% chance to get pregnant naturally and a 3% with IUI and 70-80% chance with IVF. We began with 3 IUI treatments using ovadril and one time we used clomid. All of the IUIs failed so we saved up our money to do IVF. We did an Fresh IVF transfer cycle. During retrieval we got 23 eggs, 4 fertilized, one didn't make it to day 5 and initially we transferred 2.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Strengths are that he is very knowledgeable about fertility actions and treatments. Weaknesses are that he talks over patients heads. I'm a nurse so I knew most of what he was talking about but my husband isn't medical and didn't understand everything. We did wish that we would have seen Dr. Harper more often but after our miscarriage and failed IVF and transfers he did call us and was more involved with our case.
Be prepared with questions and you may have to ask the nurses to explain things to you to better understand.
I felt like Dr.Harper knew our case and wanted to do whatever to help us make our plans come true. Even though we weren't successful in our treatments.
So our fertility issues are male factor. My husband had Hodgkins Lymphoma and the chemotherapy caused him to have a low sperm count and low motility. Our treatment plan was that we'd have only a 1% chance to get pregnant naturally and a 3% with IUI and 70-80% chance with IVF. We began with 3 IUI treatments using ovadril and one time we used clomid. All of the IUIs failed so we saved up our money to do IVF. We did an Fresh IVF transfer cycle. During retrieval we got 23 eggs, 4 fertilized, one didn't make it to day 5 and initially we transferred 2. We miscarried early on with the twins. Then we proceeded with a possible frozen transfer with our one embryo left. I took lupron and estrogen. However the week before I was to do the transfer I started bleeding like a period and we could no longer do the transfer. So we took a break saved up money and did another trial at the frozen transfer. We transferred the embryo and two weeks later we found out that it did not work. Our next choice is to do another round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea Evans)
The nursing staff was amazing. Chelsea always made sure I understood the treatment coarse. She emailed and called me with updates. She was compassionate and empathetic. She was with me every step of the way with hugs and encouragement. She was the shoulder I need to cry on when things didn't go well and she always was pulling for us.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk was a weakness they have a high turn over rate and one secretary wasn't very friendly and that's something you need when you are struggling. Strengths are that they were quick at finding appointment times and very informative when asking questions.
Cost of IUI's were between 300-600 each. Then IVF cycle was $9000 and transfer was about $1000
Our dr told us to only transfer one embryo however we decided to transfer two initially of the three that we had.
Madison
We did a total of 3 cycles and protocol was never adjusted whatsoever. Just kept plugging away and doing the same thing each time with the same negative result.... was very impressed with Dr. Harper at our initial visit. He very thoroughly explained our course of action and for the most part answered our questions. He did however dismiss a particular concern I had and essentially told us there was no way that was a problem for us. I
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I was very impressed with Dr. Harper at our initial visit. He very thoroughly explained our course of action and for the most part answered our questions. He did however dismiss a particular concern I had and essentially told us there was no way that was a problem for us. I only saw him 2 other times, once at my first scan appointment and again after a laparoscopy for maybe 30 seconds. He is very awkward and if you are looking for warm and fuzzy from your doctor go elsewhere. We did a total of 3 cycles and protocol was never adjusted whatsoever. Just kept plugging away and doing the same thing each time with the same negative result.
I believe Dr. Harper is a good doctor and if you're interested in IVF then he's your guy.
The nurses were great but Dr. Harper is very robotic and does not seem comfortable interacting with people.
3 cycles with Letrazole days 3-7 and an ovidrel trigger 2 days before IUI. monitoring on CD 3 and 10 and then again later if not close on day 10. No other blood work or monitoring after IUI just call with period or positive test.
Nursing staff was amazing and honestly why we stayed as long as we did. I didn't love not knowing which of the 3 I would have. Felt the most comfortable with Chelsea and Jennifer.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
The front office staff leaves something to be desired. During the course of one of our IUIs we literally had to reschedule my husband's collection 4 times. I finally informed them the last time they called to reschedule it that we would not be changing it again. The billing information is not very well conveyed to the patients so sometimes there are some surprises.
No charge for office visits unless the doctor was present which was never. IUI was $300.
Madison
Clomid, clomid, and more clomid [protocol with Dr. Andrew Harper]. Increase the dosage and if that doesn't work, increase it more. Then injectables and when that didn't work, they just kept increasing the dosage. 3 failed IUIs because they would do them at the wrong time. They never saw anyone on the weekend...I felt like a number because I NEVER saw Dr. Harper except for my initial visit which was a meeting with him. He did not examine me. He asked me questions and that was it.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I saw him for my first visit which was simply a meeting. He did not examine me, he only asked questions about my history. I was in his office twice a month for blood work and exams, I NEVER saw him at those visits. I saw him after one year and I had to request to see him. Upon my request, it took a week for me to schedule a time. I was told I am not priority since I'm already a patient and his nurses handle patient concerns and then relay messages to him. When I finally met with him, he did not conduct an examination, we met in his office to discuss my concerns which was 3 failed IUIs and never seeing him. He told me he doesn't have time to go to every patient exam and his nurses update him.
Drive out of Huntsville and see someone who actually cares about you.
I felt like a number because I NEVER saw Dr. Harper except for my initial visit which was a meeting with him. He did not examine me. He asked me questions and that was it. His office staff never knew who I was, I was assigned a nurse but that nurse changed with each visit.
Clomid, clomid, and more clomid. Increase the dosage and if that doesn't work, increase it more. Then injectables and when that didn't work, they just kept increasing the dosage. 3 failed IUIs because they would do them at the wrong time. They never saw anyone on the weekend.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
My assigned nurse rarely saw me. Some of my appointments were scheduled during times she couldn't be there. So I saw someone different every time.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Office staff never engaged in conversation, they never knew my name unless they were looking at my paperwork, and only interacted with me when I needed to sign the bill. They cared about their money. They did not care about their patients or what we were going through.
Madison
Dr Harper has been a big help in our journey. I know he can't work miracles and get us all pregnant, but he remains hopeful that he will get us there with our remaining embryos. I have felt every disappointment there has been with each negative cycle. He has been there to explain my options, what to expect, the different outcomes.... We have tried oral meds, injectables with iui.Our Ivf cycle we went with 150 gonal F adjusted thru cycle along with Menopur. They were able to retrieve 21 eggs
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
He Will listen to all of your concerns.
He always takes the time to sit and explain where we are In the cycle, what to expect, and thoroughly answer any questions I have.
Chelsea has been amazing. Whether I came in on a great mood or absolutely horrible mood she always takes time to chit chat about how I'm feeling,how things are going outside of Infertility
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
I have yet to experience any flaws in the office.other than there was a mix up of trying to charge me my insurance deductible up front,but my insurance company spoke with them and got it all straightened out.
All labs,ultrasounds,visits were covered by insurance. Insurance covers no oil or ivf. We paid $295/iui's. We did 7 iui's. 1 ivf cycle was around 8500.we pd out of pocket plus around $1000 for the meds
Madison
Dr. Harper explains all things very clinically but is very open to the questions that we had. I did have to ask for further explanation from his nursing staff in a way that broke it down step by step but he is very good.... 3 months of Clomid. 3 months of letrazole. Ovidrel shots until I began to ovulate on my own!! 6 you procedures.
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Be patient. Lets face it the nurses are the one who handle all medical care during any type of medical visit. They always say the nurses wont kill you thats the doctor's job. So while Dr. Harper may be in on it the nurses are thr hands on ones who are gonna knock you up.
He explained everything thoroughly and was sympathetic to my plight.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Lynne and Joan)
Lynne is who I started with and she was awesome. Very patient and very communicative. Ive been with Joan the last few times and what a blessing she is!!! So sensitive and feels like such a friend through the whole thing!!!
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
Some front office staff are wonderful. Some are miserable at their job. I feel front office staff in a facility for fertility should have some compassion and patience.. Dr. Harper is wonderful on thr clinical side anf his nursing staff is incredible!!!
My insurance covers 80% plus most of my meds so my cost wasn't too bad.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Harper seems extremely knowledgeable about his field of medicine. He took me as a patient when my other dr left the clinic. The durst time I meet dr. Harper, he knew everything about my situation. He had studied my chart well. I am confident in him at this point...The dr and staff are very accessible. They answer all questions. Very friendly and knowledgeable...He stumbles over his words sometimes. It just seems that he has so much that he wants to share with you, that it takes a while to get to the point
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Be patient. He stumbles over his words sometimes. It just seems that he has so much that he wants to share with you, that it takes a while to get to the point
Dr. Harper took over my case in the middle of my last cycle. He performed my 2nd IUI. Now we are getting ready for our 1st IVF.he has prescribed 225 units of gonal-f, 75 units of menopur and 81mg baby aspirin to start with. I will be adding cetrotide into the mix eventually.
Chelsea has seen me through every step of the process. She brought me into the office for a very detailed injectables training session. She is friendly and comforting.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
It is very easy to find. It's very clean and well maintained. Their equipment is new and we'll kept.
Iui is $295. IVF is $7995
My husband and I want to transfer 2 embryos, and Dr harper said that is ok so long as we don't have an aversion to twins, which we don't.
Madison
I saw him [Dr. Harper] the very first day I had an appointment. I was more comfortable with the nurse practitioner than I was with him. I actually know more about her than I do him. She did my IUI not him...Ask more questions and know what your options are before going into the appointment because you will never seen him, just the nurses...
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
I saw him the very first day I had an appointment. I was more comfortable with the nurse practitioner than I was with him. I actually know more about her than I do him. She did my IUI not him.
The nurses are very kind and helpful but I have only seen the doctor once. So to me I feel like more of a number because he won't tell me what's going on just the nurses
They are wonderful and understanding. They learn your name and make conversation with you so you don't feel uncomfortable
My blood work and ultrasounds were about 200$ for about 2 of them.
2011 - 2015
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Harper was very knowledgeable in his field. He consulted with us in an understandable way. We saw him several times throughout the process. We loved his clinic. ... The clinic can schedule blood work as early as 7 AM which was great for me because I could go before work and still be on time. They had the results back before mid day and called with instructions on what to do next. They were very flexible and easy to contact when needed.
2011 - 2015
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Andrew Harper at Huntsville Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Harper was very knowledgeable in his field. He consulted with us in an understandable way. We saw him several times throughout the process. We loved his clinic. Both transfers we did resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Huntsville Reproductive Medicine.
He recommend one embryo because of our our age.