Medical SchoolSUNY Stoney Brook
12 Alfred Street
Woburn, MA 01801
758 Eddy St
Providence, RI 02903
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ania Kowalik to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Solutions of New England to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
Even though Dr. Kowalik was "my" doctor, I met all the other doctors too- Dr. Anania once for monitoring, and it was actually Dr. Huang who did my retrieval AND my FET, just for scheduling reasons. I am obviously thrilled with my results, and highly recommend Dr. Kowalik and all the other partners at Fertility Solutions...My workup was negative so it was felt my diagnosis was likely age-related poor egg quality, and she recommended IVF with PGS testing. I ended up with one normal embryo (out of 3 that were tested, from 8 eggs harvested) which we transferred, and I am currently 12w pregnant!...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
I am a success story! I am 40 and had 3 miscarriages in a year, after one previous successful (natural) pregnancy so I came for eval. My workup was negative so it was felt my diagnosis was likely age-related poor egg quality, and she recommended IVF with PGS testing. I ended up with one normal embryo (out of 3 that were tested, from 8 eggs harvested) which we transferred, and I am currently 12w pregnant! I am very very fortunate to have been successful with my first cycle, but it also means my ability to review is more limited than someone who has had multiple cycles. Even though Dr. Kowalik was "my" doctor, I met all the other doctors too- Dr. Anania once for monitoring, and it was actually Dr. Huang who did my retrieval AND my FET, just for scheduling reasons. I am obviously thrilled with my results, and highly recommend Dr. Kowalik and all the other partners at Fertility Solutions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
Sometimes too much information is not a good thing- so try to put your own "reasearch" aside and trust her!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England?
I felt like my treatment protocol was tailored to my specific case and was not just one-size-fits-all
Describe the protocols Ania Kowalik used in your cycles at Fertility Solutions of New England and their degree of success.
Since I am older and at lower risk of OHSS I was on high dose follistim. I don't know the name of the protocol but for my retrieval cycle I started with OCPs then 450 follistim with ganirelix added towards the end, and an HCG trigger. We did ICSI and grew the embryos to day 5/6 before freezing for PGS. After PGS I did a medicated FET cycle (oral estrogen and IM progesterone) and transferred one (the only) normal embryo. I appreciated that I was not on as many meds as it seems a lot of people are (menopur, lupron, antibiotics, steroids...)
I only met nurses briefly at my procedures- most of my contact with them was over the phone and through messages on the portal. Everyone was great- but I don't really know who I dealt with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
My only complaint is that my clinic (providence) was a satellite office, and wasn't as full-featured as the main office in Dedham. I did have to travel to Dedham for procedures and on times (weekends etc) that the satellites weren't open. So it was very convenient to have easier access to a satellite office- but it would have been great to just have everything at Dedham. I'm not sure that I understood at my first appointment that not everything could be done in Providence. This isn't a bad thing- just something to be aware of.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ania Kowalik at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Fortunately my insurance covers IVF- the only thing I had to pay for out of pocket was the PGS testing
None, Other
Dr. Kowalik was wonderful from the first time we sat down with her. She was very kind, empathetic and gave us hope. I had a lot of fear about pursuing fertility treatments, but she made sure we addressed them together before we got started. I appreciated that she took the time to make sure I knew what was happening before we moved forward...I can be a bit hysterical/irrational sometimes and I think Dr. Kowalik sometimes might have thought I was a bit looney, but she was never anything less than empathetic, supportive and kind to me...
None, Other
I can be a bit hysterical/irrational sometimes and I think Dr. Kowalik sometimes might have thought I was a bit looney, but she was never anything less than empathetic, supportive and kind to me. I think she is just a very rational, intelligent, straight-forward person, and thank goodness for it! She is a good mix of empathetic, hopeful and straightforward.
I was pretty upset after having suffered from infertility for a number of years and it was affecting my mental health. I was very afraid to pursue fertility treatments because I knew it could be a long, difficult journey, but I magically had some insurance coverage for it that year and was at my wits end trying it naturally. The first thing Dr. Kowalik did was sit down and go over each and every fear my husband and I had. I was always treated with empathy and respect, from every person I dealt with at the clinic.
We started with an IUI, with clomid (if I remember correctly). Because I had been trying naturally for 3.5 years and was at my wits end, and because of possible endometriosis we both decided to go ahead with IVF for the next cycle. I was ovulating regularly so I think they started me on a low dose of the fertility meds. I know I was given birth control pills to control/suppress ovulation until they were ready, then used a Gonal-F pen to stimulate egg production, then cetrotide to stall it for a bit (I think?). All the while they were measuring my blood hormones and checking with ultrasound every few days to see the eggs developing in the follicles. Once they were developed and I was almost ready to ovulate, I gave myself a trigger shot, so they knew that the next day they could retrieve the eggs. They got 7 eggs out, 5 were mature and 5 made it to day 5 when I had my embryo transfer where they transferred one which implanted! I had a positive pregnancy test result 10 days later and continued taking endometrium (a progesterone supplement) for a few more weeks.
I was so nervous about my egg retrieval and embryo transfer, but Dr. Huang and the nursing staff at the clinic in Dedham (where these procedures are performed) could not have been kinder or more supportive. They were very patient and made sure I understood exactly what would happen and how to take care of myself afterwards. I am such a hippie and was sad to be needing medical intervention to get pregnant, but they were so great that the process still seemed very personal and meaningful and special - plus it's really cool science and I'm endlessly grateful it exists.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I can tell that Fertility Solutions of New England has put a lot of thought into making fertility treatments as affordable and convenient as possible without sacrificing personal service or quality of care. I was so grateful to be able to visit my local clinic and see my own doctor for most of my visits. I would get blood drawn on my way into work and barely missed any time. The Dedham office where the major procedures are done, was beautiful and calming. There were times I did feel a bit confused about what was expected of me during my IVF cycle, but only because the drugs and treatments were new to me and I tend to get overwhelmed following directions sometimes. But help was always a phone call or message away. They try to make it as easy as possible for you, posting your instructions on the online portal and it wasn't hard to get the hang of things. Again, I was lucky because things worked quickly, but I really can't say enough about how wonderfully I was treated.
I know I am incredibly, incredibly lucky and I feel awful that this isn't the case for more people suffering from infertility, but my care was covered almost 100% by my state employer. I am now getting some bills (months after the procedure as it gets worked out with my insurance) so I think in the end I will end up paying almost $1000.00 total which I know is nothing. I wouldn't have been able to afford treatment otherwise and I can't imagine how awful that feels.
Providence
She's a wonderful dr, intelligent, well-researched, very open-minded, compassionate and warm bedside manner. She [Dr Kowalik] communicates well and is open-minded to less conventional treatments, like immunological treatments. She was on top of the latest research and is thorough with diagnostics. She went above and beyond to help us reach the most success we've had so far.
She's a wonderful dr, intelligent, well-researched, very open-minded, compassionate and warm bedside manner. She communicates well and is open-minded to less conventional treatments, like immunological treatments. She was on top of the latest research and is thorough with diagnostics. She went above and beyond to help us reach the most success we've had so far.
Take advantage of her thorough knowledge on latest research in infertility.
She took time to really listen to patients and address concerns and explain at complicated matters at a level we could understand. She was very compassionate and very much cared about her patients.
She based the protocols on what worked previously and tweaked as necessary from there, but also incorporated findings from latest research into consideration for how to proceed as well. She was open to treatment recommendations from the reproductive immunologist we were also working with and modified our protocol to accommodate them. Between the immunology protocol and a very competent IVF/FET protocol, we were able to get pregnant 3 out of 4 cycles (had almost all negatives at prior clinics) and reached 2nd trimester for the first time in our on-going pregnancy.
Nursing staff was wonderful, prompt to answer questions, send in prescription orders, help with insurance as necessary. They went above and beyond to accommodate extra testing we needed for our reproductive immunologist. They were very compassionate and incredibly supportive.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
The clinic is on the smaller side compared to others in the area, but with very personalized treatment and monitoring is done by doctors, not just ultrasound techs or nurses. Fairly good lab and wonderful treatment from the entire staff.
5 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Kowalik is in charge of the entire clinic, so you can't expect to have any personalized attention...I felt that this doctor was too busy running her clinic to pay any attention to patients. Instead of giving me a new blood test to check my hormones, they used an old test and therefore I ended up doing treatments for a week longer than normal. The doctor also forgot to give me more medication, and then a major snowstorm hit and I had to arrange with a nurse to leave medication out for me on the front stoop of the clinic. I had to drive two hours in a blizzard to pick up medication because no one checked in with me!
5 Eggs Frozen
I would definitely not recommend this doctor. I only went to this clinic on the recommendation of a friend who had seen a different doctor here. Dr. Kowalik is in charge of the entire clinic, so you can't expect to have any personalized attention. I definitely felt like just a number and a source of income to them, as no one explained anything to me, even when I asked. I have a PhD and can figure things out on my own, but to not answer basic questions when hormones are involved is practically unethical.
There was absolutely no explanation given to me. When it came time to do the injections, I asked if someone could show me how to do them. I was told to watch the videos online! When I went in for my ultrasounds, the doctor (a different one than Dr. Kowalik), introduced herself to me on the third time I had seen her that week. It was terrible care all the way around.
I don't remember the specifics. I do know that the dosage was wrong because they used an old test.
It is a bit fuzzy for me now, but I do remember that the nursing staff was quite nice and helpful but also stretched very thin. The nurses split their time between the clinic and another hospital, which I think is crazy.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I only visited two clinics and worked with this one. I would say that the doctors know their stuff, but they are way too overbooked to give any type of personalized care. I did receive good care during my procedure, but everything leading up to it was a nightmare. No one was willing to take the three minutes to show me how to do injections. I definitely felt like just a number there.
I paid $7000 total.
Describe Ania Kowalik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Solutions of New England.
2012 - 2014
8 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She [Dr. Ania Kowalik] was the first dr we met with that didn't give up on us or make us feel as if a family wasn't going to be in our cards. She worked tirelessly for us, and when we received negative results you could tell they effected her almost as much as they did us. But she never stopped trying and was able to give us the family we longed for...She is extremely compassionate, she listens but doesn't sugar coat. She's always the one to call and give your pregnancy test results good or bad, but the one thing she'll never do is give false hope or give up on you
2012 - 2014
8 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr Kowalik from day one puts you at ease. She was always very up front about what our issues were but was willing to explore alternative treatments and when those didn't work tried something else. She was the first dr we met with that didn't give up on us or make us feel as if a family wasn't going to be in our cards. She worked tirelessly for us, and when we received negative results you could tell they effected her almost as much as they did us. But she never stopped trying and was able to give us the family we longed for
Have faith. She knows what she's doing, it doesn't always happen on the first try but if your willing to put in the work then so is she. She takes great care of her patients and is a very compassionate person
I honestly don't remember- we've done 10 IVF cycles in total, 6 with Dr Kowalik and I don't remember the protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sue)
Everyone aside from the person that deals w your medical insurance is wonderful. From the reception staff to the nurses during and after transfers, we have not had an issues
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Strengths would be physicians, all 3 are very nice and compassionate, the dedham office is very nice and clean, the Woburn office is ok, the staff there is a little all over the place and you can end up waiting quite some time for blood work if they are busy, but for the most part both locations are good (I have never been to the RI location)
Thankfully our insurance covered 100% of the retrieval and transfer we were only responsible for co-pays and a % of the medications I do know that they offer payment plans or financing as options When we chose the donor route, that's when unfortunately there are a lot of out of pocket expense. In that instance we had to pay 5,000 to the donor, 500 to the lawyer to sign the paperwork and 10,000 for the testing etc. The other expense is the storage fees, we still have frozen embryos and it's 100 a month to store them
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr.Kowalik is down to earth. I brought in a huge folder of all my past test and bloodwork my first day meeting her and she sat there and went through each page. Most doctors I've had experiences with would have pushed it aside. She even calls with updsates versus having staff do it. She explaines things in "mechanic terms for my husband so he can understand each process we will embark on.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Lay it all on the table, she is very understanding and doesn't judge .
I felt like a human because Dr.Kowalik was straight to the point. She did not sugar coat what the outcome may be or leave details out. She was very informative and actually reaches out during the process versus previous doctors whom I've only met during the consult.
I will be planning on proceeding with an antagonist cycle with Lupron to prevent ohss since I have pcos. I have started with provera to induce a cycle and will start with a month of birth control.
Very informative and helpful all the way to finding the best pricing on meds (the whole process is out of pocket for us)
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
They are organized respond quickly either on the phone or if you are like me(busy bee with anxiety) you can communicate right through a patient messaging system. As far as weaknesses maybe their site can be a little more informative. As a new patient I would say be ready for an experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't recommend any other practice
Our consult and bloodwork were about a 1000 Ivf cycle is around 9500 And meds around 5000
She explained that if we have healthy embryos then 1 would be ideal. My husband and myself have decided on 2 either way in which she advised us against it but after deliberation we will be signing a form to allow 2
2012 - 2016
Ania Kowalik was open to hearing what treatment we were wanting to pursue and took my health into account. We are carriers of a fatal genetic disease and decided to pursue Embryo Adoption. Dr Kowalik decided to put is on a natural cycle because of no history. The following blood tests and ultrasounds were very easy and accurate. We transfered 2 5 day donor embryos and had a successful transfer.
2012 - 2016
She is warm and friendly, a calm personality. She showed compassion for me and why I was there. She didn't try to waste my time or try to suggest treatments that wouldn't be what we needed. She was open with me and explaining what we needed to do and what to expect. She is available to talk to and happily takes the time to do so.
Take the time to meet with her, you won't regret it
They know me by make and they know our story, what we are seeking Fertility treatments and they really care about it being successful for us not for statistics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Susan Tilden)
Our primary nurse is so helpful, compassionate, honest, knowledgeable and professional. I couldn't do any of this process with out her. She is very timely with getting necessary information to me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
It was very easy to get in for my initial consult, phone calls are returned in a timely manor, and everyone on staff is very attentive and supportive.
She based this on the grading of the embryos and decided to do a double embryo transfer.
Dedham
At every visit she [Dr. Ania Kowalik] seemed very knowledgeable and up to date with current research. However, overall way too cautious and not aggressive enough treatment wise. I chose to forego IUI and jump right to IVF. I think (and now know) I was very poorly stimulated. I think if you have any other issues other than unexplained than this clinic is not for you. Too scared to treat appropriately
I was recommended a different doctor in this clinic by my OBGYN. Since there was a longer wait and I wanted to be seen sooner I chose to see Dr. Kowalik. At every visit she seemed very knowledgeable and up to date with current research. However, overall way too cautious and not aggressive enough treatment wise. I chose to forego IUI and jump right to IVF. I think (and now know) I was very poorly stimulated. I think if you have any other issues other than unexplained than this clinic is not for you. Too scared to treat appropriately
Get other opinions first!
I was on an antagonist protocol of gonal f and ganirelix. Again dose extremely too low given my age and AMH.
The nurses were very quick to respond with any Qs. However I hardly ever met any in real life. The issue with this clinic is there is zero teaching! Most of the people I have heard about are required to get education on med injections or go over their protocols etc. none done here. For being such a small office it's kind of a joke
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Biggest strength would be the doctors do all of the ultrasounds so there are no techs doing it you can kind of get answers immediately. Weakness is as I mentioned the clinic is way too reserved in their treatment/care. Also their billing dept is an absolute nightmare!
Luckily living in MA insurance covered most of the treatment.
I only transferred one I did not ask about doing two
2013 - 2016
I think as I saw her [Ania Kowalik] more often she became warmer and had better beside manner, she was more invested in me. I think she is extremely well informed and I feel like I am in good hands as her patient... She was always on the more cautious side, she doesn't believe in putting two embryos in unless there is a medical reason for it. she monitors everything very closely
2013 - 2016
I think as I saw her more often she became warmer and had better beside manner, she was more invested in me. I think she is extremely well informed and I feel like I am in good hands as her patient.
develop a relationship, ask questions and let her feel invested in you as a patient
The whole team there as been extremely helpful with answering questions and walking me through every step of the way. They are extremely invested in me as a patient and trying to get the results I desire. When the tests have been negative or when I had my miscarriage I felt like she showed empathy and cared about me as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sandra and or Sue )
Always good communication and answered all my questions. Even shared some of their own fertility struggles with me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
All the procedures take place in Dedham, it is hard living in the northshore. i didn't realize before selecting a clinic that I would have to travel so far far away.
it was covered by my insurance and I had to pay around $1300 for medication
2009 - 2012
1 IUI, IVF
It was a long and hard experience but Dr. Kowalik remained attentive and supportive throughout.
2009 - 2012
1 IUI, IVF
I got pregnant in my first round with my older daughter and loved my care with Dr. Kowalik so I followed her to fertility solutions for my second child. This time I got pregnant immediately but miscarried twins. Dr. Kowalik was so caring and supportive. She was always available and always had time to answer every question from whether I should change my diet to the intricate details of how Ivf works. She is bright and quick and straightforward so I always felt I was in good hands, but she also cares a lot. Having my second child took a number of rounds and it was a long and hard experience but Dr. Kowalik remained attentive and supportive throughout. I am so grateful to her for my two daughters.
Don't hold back. She will never make you feel silly for asking even the most inane questions. If you are wondering about something, just ask.
Dr. Low alike is talented and also open, caring, and willing to answer endless technical questions from my husband. I felt like she was totally invested in my success. She is caring and smart.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Kowalik is an exceptional doctor, with a true understanding of just how emotional and scary the process of infertility can be. She never gave up on my dream to become a mother, even when I was having doubts, she knew we should push on. Her sensitivity to my needs as a patient were incomparable to any other doctors I've seen.... In an effort to see if my uterus lining progressed with my cycle as it should, Dr. Kowalik did 3 mock cycles with me, which she would build up my lining then take a sample to see if it was measuring as it should be at a specific point in time.
2013 - 2016
She will truly take care of you and strive for success in your journey to become a parent!
She never had to look back to review my file and remember who I was, she was truly invested in finding a cause for my infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sue and Sandra)
Absolute compassion and transparency in the process/results.
Clean and comfortable
Dr. Kowalik prefers to limit the number of embryos transferred to 2 at a time. However, after my many unsuccessful attempts, she agreed to let me transfer my 3 remaining embryos at once during my last cycle.
Woburn
She [Dr. Kowalik] was always very attentive with our care and we received calls from her regarding results, next steps, etc. She was always understanding and helpful. I always felt like she cared and was listening to our needs...She called us with results. She was always available to discuss questions/concerns we had. Very knowledgeable and thorough in our pre tests and throughout our cycles. She always went through the various options we had and the pros and cons of those...
She was always attentive. She called us with results. She was always available to discuss questions/concerns we had. Very knowledgeable and thorough in our pre tests and throughout our cycles. She always went through the various options we had and the pros and cons of those.
Not just Dr. Kowalik. Any fertility clinic, be informed. Make sure you are as informed as the doctor on the procedure or the protocol so you can ask the right questions. Dr. Kowalik was always good about getting us all the information we needed/wanted and helping us through any questions.
She was always very attentive with our care and we received calls from her regarding results, next steps, etc. She was always understanding and helpful. I always felt like she cared and was listening to our needs.
Cambridge
She [Dr. Anua Kowalik] gave us blunt, honest answers and reviewed things as many times as we needed. She made us feel important and like individuals not just a number. She personally called me with my hcg numbers and I truly felt in my heart and gut that she cared and was there for us. I can say with 100% honesty that she is the reason we have our miracle today.
Dr Kowalik is the greatest dr and we are so grateful to have her. Not only did she spend a long time going over my history and clarifying information, she gave us blunt, honest answers and reviewed things as many times as we needed. She made us feel important and like individuals not just a number. She personally called me with my hcg numbers and I truly felt in my heart and gut that she cared and was there for us. I can say wth 100% honesty that she is the reason we have our miracle today. She is THE BEST!
You are so lucky. She is honest and blunt so if you need sugar coating then she might be a bit blunt for you. But I appreciate that about her
She was honest, blunt, and answered all our questions as many times as we needed. She is the greatest
All were amazing. So caring and kind
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
Clean, kind, great communication and organized. The only negative was that they don't open until 7:30.
2012 - 2013
Other, Unexplained
She [Dr Kowalik] was great and very responsive but I felt like fertility treatment was more trial and error than science. I liked her as a person and could imagine being friends but I feel like the industry lacks appropriate approaches for someone with fragile eggs...Know your options and ask for what you need or want. She will listen and try.
2012 - 2013
Other, Unexplained
She was great and very responsive but I felt like fertility treatment was more trial and error than science. I liked her as a person and could imagine being friends but I feel like the industry lacks appropriate approaches for someone with fragile eggs.
Know your options and ask for what you need or want. She will listen and try.
They were all very kind and dr kowolik is a great person.
Many
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Solutions of New England. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
They were kind and organized. No complaints
Describe your experience with Fertility Solutions of New England.
I liked them but I had multiple pregnancies and multiple losses which just stinked.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Solutions of New England.
Fine
Lots. Most was covered by insurance but one round there was communication problems with my insurance company that resulted in insurance not paying.
2010
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Just listen to her, she is extremely smart and knows what she is doing.
2010
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I can just tell you I would highly recommend her to anyone, we feel she is just the best around for too many reasons to mention.
Just listen to her, she is extremely smart and knows what she is doing.
She just made us feel comfortable and asked many questions of us to make sure we were comfortable with all decisions made at all times. Her nurse Sue always was the best as well!
Just how she cared what was going on with us each call and visit and showed compassion.
They were scheduled around my work schedule and these people were very caring as well