Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
7603 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
9030 Stony Point Parkway, #450
Richmond, VA 23235
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Anish Shah to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richmond Center for Fertility to a friend?
Male Factor, Other
Dr. Shah is my favorite doctor ever! Aside from God, he is the reason we have a family now and our lives are filled with brightness. He has excellent bedside manner and explains each step of the process. He was accessible 24/7 with any emergent questions or needs... Endometrial patch was used to beef up my lining prior to my successful transfer. Progesterone injections caused painful side effects and he let me switch to injections ever third day, suppositories every day. Baby aspirin daily. Heparin or Lovenox for first and second trimesters.
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is my favorite doctor ever! Aside from God, he is the reason we have a family now and our lives are filled with brightness. He has excellent bedside manner and explains each step of the process. He was accessible 24/7 with any emergent questions or needs. Our road to parenthood was hard and he guided us with his expertise, compassion, and honesty through every step of the way. He was spot on with his percentages and helped us to make the best decisions necessary for our unique needs. I’ve recommended Dr. Shah to everyone I’ve met who is going through infertility. You will be in good hands under his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Listen to all of your options, ask about odds/percentages, and trust in his recommendations. Following two losses, he knew with certainty that our child was among our remaining embryos. It was hard to believe in that due to the loss, but he was right.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
We had a very important appointment scheduled to confirm a heartbeat after a previous loss. At the last minute, our appointment was cancelled and rescheduled to the following day. I told the office I couldn’t emotionally wait another day and would wait all afternoon if needed, or see another doctor. Dr Shah then drove across town from a medical emergency to see us because he knew how important it was to us. We are definitely people to him and he is rooting for us just as badly as we are.
Describe the protocols Anish Shah used in your cycles at Richmond Center for Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
Valerie was very helpful with guiding us through IVF. The other nurses were compassionate. Sometimes the voicemails left were vague and it would be hard to reach her or any nurse, ending up in phone tag.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is the most stressful part of the whole process. I had several appointments cancelled at the last minute. It’s hard enough taking off from work and then having to reschedule to the next day. It was also nearly impossible to reach a person at times. The phones would keep ringing or go to voicemail. I had the office manager’s direct number and that helped immensely! There is now a direct line to the IVF nurse.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility.
We did a shared risk program. With ICSI and using our own eggs/sperm, it was $22,000 + medications. For three transfers, including meds it was around $30k.
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Dr. Shah educated us on all of the complications, financial and medical, related to having multiples. He did not pressure me to transfer more than one embryo at a time. On our third transfer, he did offer to transfer two embryos but respected our decision to use only one.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Shah and his team are very personable and took the time to get to know both myself and my husband and are very patient when answering our questions and concerns. I once had to call him on a weekend and I could hear him taking time away from his own family and kids to help answer my questions...always makes me feel comfortable, answers my questions and never makes me feel like I am in a rush, even though the office is very busy. He always has a positive demeanor and has a great bedside manner, showing compassion each time things don't work out the way we had hoped.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Shah always makes me feel comfortable, answers my questions and never makes me feel like I am in a rush, even though the office is very busy. He always has a positive demeanor and has a great bedside manner, showing compassion each time things don't work out the way we had hoped.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
He's a very compassionate doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
Describe the protocols Anish Shah used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
We are currenty doing Femara + Ovidrel injectsion + timed intercourse, I seem to be responding better and better each month, last month I had 2 healthy folicles (one on each side about the same size) My husband does have sperm issues, the count and motility are fine but the shape are off, so that plus my PCOS makes it challenging. So far we've done this course of treatment 4 times. In the beginning I had such irregular cycles I was on Provera to induce periods, I am now having natural cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: June)
June and the other staff are very helpful, patient and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility Associates.
The clinic is always clean, welcoming and they often have little treats next their coffee machine which is nice on the days when you have to get stuck with needles. Plenty of parking and the clinic that does the sperm is on the floor below so you can do everything in the same place.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates.
So far my insurance is covering most things, I do have to pay for my shot out of pocket, which comes from Mandells and is $107. My other pills (Femara & Provera) have been no more than $10/each, the copay for visits is $40, transvaginal ultrasounds after insurance is about $80.
Richmond
Dr. Shah has great bedside manner. So positive and optimistic. He tailors treatment to each individual. He sees his patient at every visit even for ultrasounds. He is very detail and patient when explaining the IVF process. He also gives each of his patients his cellphone number and answer his phone every single time no matter the day or time... He performed a light scath and a polyp revomal before transforing as he noted a polyp during my mock transfer.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Shah has great bedside manner. So positive and optimistic. He tailors treatment to each individual. He sees his patient at every visit even for ultrasounds. He is very detail and patient when explaining the IVF process. He also gives each of his patients his cellphone number and answer his phone every single time no matter the day or time. BEST DOCTOR EVER!!!
Follow his instructions to the letter and you will be successful
His was completely humble and honest. He never did it give me false hopes and provided accurate information at all times. Was kind and always optimistic and personalized his treatment to make me feel like he was always working on my behalf. He gave me options and never made it about money. He always had a warm and welcoming smile and went the extr step to make sure his recommendations were correct.
We started with birth control, after stopping it I started injectables, gonal f, menapur, and cetrotide. Multiple blood work and close monitoring during this time. He adjusted medication during this time to make I did not get OHSS. He also prescribed antibiotics and medication to avoid getting sick after retrieval. He performed a light scath and a polyp revomal before transforing as he noted a polyp during my mock transfer. He allowed my body to heal before transfer and I’m currently waiting on my cycle to start to begin transfer protocol which consist of estradiol pills vaginally, patches and PIO shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
She was the best. Very knowledgeable about everything IVF. She always makes sure that she gives you exactly what you need and tries to save you as much money as she can without cutting any corners or care needed.
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility Associates.
No weaknesses at all. This clinic is great all around. The entire staff is friend and are always willing to work around any issues that might present itself. Patient must come in with a positive mind and attitude. Willing to follow instructions for the best possible outcome. The office has a lot of patients that speak very highly of Dr. Shah and it’s staff. I was recommended by a friend and decided to make an appointment, this was the best decision I have made and so far the best money I have ever paid. I’m will recommend them to anyone and everyone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Virginia Fertility Associates.
Monitoring was great!!! No problems and my doctor was able available and spoke to me during these appointments. To let me know what or what not to expect
About 27k
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility Associates.
No review on this yet
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Shah was very understanding and empathetic during the process. He gave me the responsibility of passing information along to my wife, and kept me involved in the process heavily....Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor who gives the appropriate level of detail to make treatment explanations thorough but also understandable for non-doctors. In addition, he clearly has an evidenced-based ideology which I personally agree with. Facts - and not emotions or impulses - are what drives his decisions. While even he admitted that there were steps that ended up not working during our cycle, I do believe that he gave us the best possible chance for success.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor and trustworthy person. The main drawbacks remain his office staff service.
The nursing staff was very nice in person and made us feel comfortable while in the office, but seemed to forget where we were in the process or lose track of where we were when we called in. There were no mistakes made that affected the procedure (to our knowledge, at least) but it is disconcerting to call in and talk to someone who does not seem as organized as you had hoped - especially when considering the cost of the services.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic seemed like an average, "fine" clinic. I have no complaints regarding the clinic, but also had no experiences there that led me to believe it was anything special. It was clean and new feeling, and I had absolutely no issues with it. Having not spent much time in clinics, maybe this does actually make it special.
The costs were high but normal for the procedure.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Shah lets you know that you are not alone and assures that pregnancy is an option. He has explained the best case scenario for our situation and he makes sure his staff stays on top of scheduling and ultrasound appts....my husband found out he was diabetic, and also has low sperm count. He is currently being treated by a urologist and endocrinologist. He has also had surgery. Dr. Shah suggested for me to be treated for PCOS and recommended a healthy diet. He has recommended me to take Femara for ovulation and be monitored for IUI cycles.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
If I had to give one piece of advice, I would let someone know that Dr. Shah is personable and you can trust him.
Good bedside manner, very busy practice. Feel a little rushed or that I have to ask questions to really know what to expect.
Thus far, Dr. Shah recommended my husband have labs done to make sure he was healthy. He stated that we can't blame the infertility entirely on the female. With that being said, my husband found out he was diabetic, and also has low sperm count. He is currently being treated by a urologist and endocrinologist. He has also had surgery. Dr. Shah suggested for me to be treated for PCOS and recommended a healthy diet. He has recommended me to take Femara for ovulation and be monitored for IUI cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: June)
June is a good communicator. She calls to inform me of medications prescribed and calls them into my pharmacy. She handles my ultrasound appts as well.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
I would rate this clinic as a 10 out of 10. The lobby is warm and inviting, easy to find. The receptionist keeps your information private and wait time has always been top notch. The only weakness I would speak of would be to maybe try doing follow up calls to the patient once a procedure is over such as follow up 15 days after the IUI to see how the patient is doing to see if the next menstraul cycle has began or any positive pregnancy results. You kind of have to call them if you need to know what the next step would be.
My insurance covers my IUI, ultrasounds and medications except injectable meds. My husband has to pay out of pocket for his wash.
I have not done IVF.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Shah sat patiently with us while explaining our options, allowed us to process the information and ask questions before proceeding. We have had an ongoing dialogue from day one that never felt rushed or inadequate.... I very much have enjoyed working with Dr Shah and while we need to move onto IVF, we plan on staying with Dr Shah through that process. He is open mined, willingly to share professional studies(I'm a nurse and really wanted to know this info) and has always been available for questions or concerns.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Make a list of all your questions prior to your visit in order to maximize the conversation.
This was our 3rd IUI with the practice(the first two were with Dr Tidey-who was fine, I just wanted a fresh set of eyes for round 3). We mutually decided that after round 3 of IUI we would move onto IVF. We are currently preparing for that now with a start date hopefully between now or spring 2019
I am a nurse and hold my fellow colleagues to a high standard. I felt that at times, I was brushed off and have expressed this with the office manager.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
So far, I've been happy(my husband as well) with our experience. The office staff is polite, answers questions(with the exception of a few nurses), and is willing to answer all your questions patiently without rushing you. While it's certainly not expected, I've noticed everyone remembers your name!
For each round of IUI(we did both meds and shots) it was roughly $2-3,000
we haven't gotten to this discussion yet
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Shah is a great doctor very intelligent,great mannerism, he is very compassionate about his job and seems like he would go the extra mile to care for his patients. I felt like when i first seen him that he could most definitely help me get pregnant with just basic treatments however my body had other plans... During my course of treatments with Dr.Shah we tried several rounds of femara and ovidril injections with no conception, I also during those treatments had 3 iuis again with no such luck. He also tried me on Metforming to treat my pre diabetes/pcos
Black or African-American, Other
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
Dr. Shah is a great doctor very intelligent,great mannerism, he is very compassionate about his job and seems like he would go the extra mile to care for his patients. I felt like when i first seen him that he could most definitely help me get pregnant with just basic treatments however my body had other plans and he was unable to do so at that time we have decided to go the next step and start IVF treatments.
Be willing to try different things and never give up.
I felt like a human because Dr. Shah took his time one on one with me, answered any questions that myself or my husband had. I felt more than a patient I didn’t feel like another statistic.
The nursing staff seems very compassionate about their jobs and they love what they do.
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility Associates.
This is overall a great practice there are no complaints in my book. The staff is very friendly, very clean and sterile office. Phone calls are usually answered within a timely manner. They’re very informative and very knowledgeable.
My insurance only covered ultrasounds and office visits my iuis were $300 a piece the femara was about $10-$15 dollars due to a special pharmacy contract and the ovidril was $100 a shot
Richmond
Dr. Shah is very good at what he does, the only setback is how unorganized the clinic is run. If we are only rating Dr. Shah individually and not looking at the entire process, then I think he deserves a high rating. He is very much an expert in his field and also compassionate, the only issue is they are all veryunorganized and this sometimes makes the patient feel as though Dr. Shah isn't quite "on top of things" with the process.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Be assertive and don't always "trust the process" as the clinic makes mistakes (forget to order meds, lose chart, call you with other patient's info) that you have to point out to them pretty frequently . . .
The clinic is extremely unorganized as a whole, which at times make you feel like a number vs. a human. Overall, they all individually have the right intentions, but the collective effort tends to be very unorganized and the patients feel that the most.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
The nursing staff is extremely unorganized and impossible to get a hold of, it's not their fault, the clinic hasn't figured out a process for patient's that makes sense. They are overburdened and inaccessible.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is unorganized, I do not think I have ever had an appointment that wasn't moved at the last minute (nearly every single appointment was rescheduled even during a cycle). They are all individually quite good at what they do, but the collective effort is extremely poor and unorganized. There are serious order of operations/organization issues.
Around 15,000
eSET
Richmond
Dr. Shah was very easy to talk to and always positive. He explained everything I was going through and answered all questions as needed...Don't be nervous! He is a very kind man and is willing to work with you and help you understand your course of treatment.
Dr.Shah was very easy to talk to and always positive. He explained everything I was going through and answered all questions as needed.
I would get an ultrasound at cd3 for every cycle when on injections. Pills -- I got an ultrasound the first round on cd3 to check my lining. Every other round, I'd just pick up the pills and get an ultrasound on cd10. If my body wasn't producing any follicles at cd10 then we would up my dosage of whatever treatment I'm on and come back around cd12-cd16. Most every time I had one or two follicles. The last cycle I did, I had too many follicles mature so we had to cancel it.
There were only 2 that I met. They are both kind women but one is more personable than the other. Although, they are both helpful if you need anything or have questions.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
For a weakness, it's kind of a small practice so you will be in the waiting room forever. On the positive side of being a small practice , the doctors and nurses will get to know you and vice versa so that it doesn't necessarily feel like doctor's visits each time. You also always see the same doctor every time which I think is a plus.
It really depends on your insurance so it's hard to say what other people will be paying. Each cycle I took pills, I paid $1. For injections, I paid $24 per injection pen. Each cycle I also needed a trigger shot and that was an additional, $20.
Richmond
My experience with Dr. Shah has been great so far! He tries to get to know his patients on a deeper level than just their medical journey. He has great communication skills and is quick to respond. He is encouraging and does not sugar coat anything. I have not had a negative experience yet!... There was a situation that my husband experienced. He was given negative results from a nurse or employee in the lab instead of the doctor.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
To listen to him and believe that he is making the right decision for you.
I feel like I was treated more like a human than a number with Dr. Shah by his honesty and his personal time he spend after working hours.
The nursing staff has welcomed me but not any different than any other general office visit. There was one negative experience where a nurse didn't know how to use the scale to weigh me which is a sensitive subject for me as most people are towards their weight however I am not positive if this was an actual nurse or someone else helping out.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is very pretty, clean and comfortable. Dr. Shah's office is spacious and it is nice to sit at eye level with the doctor. The lab is conveniently right underneath. We have not had any negative experiences so far.
They have a money back guarantee program but it costs more than single cycle around $30,000 including medications and genetic testing.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He’s [Dr. Shah] a great doctor — very caring, answers all my questions, and calls to check up on me after procedures and when we get results back.... We did ivf because we had a special morphology problem. We were advised of the chances of success due to age. We did a retrieval and ended up with 5 embryos, which when tested were all genetically abnormal. We did a second round with the same results. Advice now is to do donor eggs.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
This far, I see no weaknesses. We did not achieve the result we wanted due to egg problems. He’s a great doctor — very caring, answers all my questions, and calls to check up on me after procedures and when we get results back.
Know all your risks, do your own research and be prepared to ask questions— he’ll answer everything thoroughly.
He’s very caring, explains things well and has a great bedside manner. He called me to check on me multiple times
They are always caring, answer questions, and available to talk via phone.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic just merged with another in richmond and they now have double the doctors. New facilities are wonderful and all the doctor’s are great. The lab and place they do the procedures is in the same building and just downstairs, so it’s super convenient.
Ivf multicye- $18000 initial payment. Once all meds and other fees were paid- approx $28000
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Dr. Shah explained that he likes to start with single embryo transfers first, especially when genetic testing was performed, as a pregnancy with multiples could lead to a higher risk for complications.... I always felt like I could trust him to be honest with me, even with hard news. I had to uterus surgeries done by Dr. Shah and he put me at ease and treated me with respect. Our IUIs were not successful, but Dr. Shah didn't give us false hope - he was honest with us that they would likely not result in a pregnancy
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
We had a lot of obstacles to overcome, but I always felt like I could trust him to be honest with me, even with hard news. I had to uterus surgeries done by Dr. Shah and he put me at ease and treated me with respect. Our IUIs were not successful, but Dr. Shah didn't give us false hope - he was honest with us that they would likely not result in a pregnancy. That honesty helped us with the process, because we could keep our expectations realistic. When we finally conceived after our second embryo transfer, Dr. Shah and his staff were genuinely happy for us.
Be ready for a difficult journey - but trust that he will guide you through it.
Dr. Shah was so compassionate and always made me feel informed.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Really nice facility, and very clean. Comfortable waiting room. Very rarely had to wait long to see my doctor. Sometimes hard with getting phone calls returned or paperwork filled out (for things like short term disability after my surgeries).
Costs were high. The lab used for IVF was not covered by our insurance, even though Dr. Shah was in-network.
Richmond
he [Dr. Shah] is wonderful. he really cares about you as a patient and tries to keep yo uinformed. his bedside manner is excellent and gives you hope as a patient! I really wished I had started with him....He is fabulous and always keeps me informed. he communicates with me after hours and has even provided me with his personal cell phone number. he also makes sure I know all the risks involved so I can make an educated decision.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Virginia Fertility Associates?
he is really busy and has lots of patience so you have to have patience when seeing him.
he is wonderful. he really cares about you as a patient and tries to keep yo uinformed. his bedside manner is excellent and gives you hope as a patient! I really wished I had started with him.
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility Associates.
The clinic is a great clinic. the staff are very friendly. they definitely try to make you feel as a comfortable as possible. I do advise to be your own advocate and to ask as many questions as possible.
$25,000 - IVF and genetic testing
What specific things went wrong at Virginia Fertility Associates?