9.8

7607 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
804-256-2986

Treated 2020
Dr. Shah for the consult and the follow up, but he didn't perform my HSG or ultrasound. I did feel he took care with my charts, so this didn't seem a disadvantage ... Dr. Shah is professional and friendly and puts us at ease. He is very confident and explains things clearly. I like that he walked us through why he was recommending a certain treatment plan, and that he took the financial aspect seriously.
The lab is located on the floor below so it is easy to schedule the semen analysis. The only weakness [of Shady Grove Fertility] is the hours of operation. There are no extended hours, and most of the procedure appointments are available before noon only. Scheduling was hard. It was difficult for us to navigate our work schedules to complete these appointments. It would have been so much easier even if they had some availability until 5 PM or 6.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Shah is professional and friendly and puts us at ease. He is very confident and explains things clearly. I like that he walked us through why he was recommending a certain treatment plan, and that he took the financial aspect seriously. He went over the standard treatment options and the average success rates of each, and didn't jump immediately to either the most expensive option that we might not need, or the least expensive option that wouldn't give results. He showed us clear data, answered all of our questions, and definitely made us feel more hopeful about getting pregnant! The only thing I wish he did differently would be his approach to genetic testing. He told us it was a requirement for treatment, but we were told by our care coordinator that we had the option to accept or decline testing. Based on our medical histories, genetic testing was the right decision, but I would have preferred that he put the decision in our hands. Overall my spouse and I appreciate his skills and demeanor and are happy with our choice of having him as our doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Shah works at a clinic in partnership with other doctors. They take turns being on call for different procedures, and a lot of those procedures are based on your cycle. If you need a certain procedure on a specific day and Dr. Shah is not on call, another doctor will perform the procedure. I saw Dr. Shah for the consult and the follow up, but he didn't perform my HSG or ultrasound. I did feel he took care with my charts, so this didn't seem a disadvantage, and the doctors who performed the procedures had excellent bedside manner and told me each step of the process as they did it. My care was excellent and this did not seem to impact my standard of care, but it can throw you if you're not expecting to see a different doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Shah was personable and friendly, and made an effort to connect. He explained everything in easy to understand terms and seemed to remember details about us from our initial consult to the follow up.
Describe the protocols Anish Shah used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Shah recommended Clomid with IUI. My test results were all in normal range, and my spouse had low end of normal results for his SA, except for his morphology being at 0. He was prescribed supplements to enhance the quality of the sperm. Dr. explained the data - with minor male factor we have a 4% chance of conceiving on our own. Using Clomid with IUI will increase our chances to 12-14% by creating more opportunity and making the path more direct for conception. Since we are healthy and not yet 30, he recommended this course of treatment as having the best cost-to-chances of success ratio. If that is not successful after a few months we would talk about IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jonessa)
We saw Jonessa after our first consult with Dr. Shah. He was very kind and knowledgeable. My anxiety levels were high, especially trying to process the information we had just learned. I hadn't known what to expect and was overwhelmed at all of the bloodwork and diagnostic procedures we needed to do for our prescreening. Jonessa slowly and clearly explained the timing of each procedure as well as the anticipated cost. She answered all of my questions and was patient when I wasn't sure how to word something. Her demeanor was reassuring and she made sure we knew our rights as patients. After this initial meeting we have been in contact with several staff members and nurses. Everyone has been exceedingly helpful and kind. If they don't know the information I am looking for, they connect me with the person who does. I can always be confident about a quick follow up. When we went for our genetic testing blood draw, my husband got woozy. The nurses got him a pillow and fed him a juice box! Quality treatment. The staff are really what put me at ease so I feel confident going into the clinic.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic environment is pleasant and clean. They have a Keurig in the waiting room, and an encouragement board where you can write notes to others on the same journey. The lab is located on the floor below so it is easy to schedule the semen analysis. The only weakness is the hours of operation. There are no extended hours, and most of the procedure appointments are available before noon only. Scheduling was hard. It was difficult for us to navigate our work schedules to complete these appointments. It would have been so much easier even if they had some availability until 5 PM or 6.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility.
Appointment with Dr. Shah (consult/followup) - $140 Transvaginal Ultrasound - $230 on site Office visit for Ultrasound - $65 HSG procedure - $1170
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility
Stony Point
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr. Shah is very good at what he does, the only setback is how unorganized the clinic is run. If we are only rating Dr. Shah individually and not looking at the entire process, then I think he deserves a high rating. He is very much an expert in his field and also compassionate, the only issue is they are all veryunorganized and this sometimes makes the patient feel as though Dr. Shah isn't quite "on top of things" with the process.
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] is unorganized, I do not think I have ever had an appointment that wasn't moved at the last minute (nearly every single appointment was rescheduled even during a cycle). They are all individually quite good at what they do, but the collective effort is extremely poor and unorganized.... The nursing staff is extremely unorganized and impossible to get a hold of... I had to call 5-6 times to have them order my medicine before cycle
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Be assertive and don't always "trust the process" as the clinic makes mistakes (forget to order meds, lose chart, call you with other patient's info) that you have to point out to them pretty frequently . . .
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
The clinic is extremely unorganized as a whole, which at times make you feel like a number vs. a human. Overall, they all individually have the right intentions, but the collective effort tends to be very unorganized and the patients feel that the most.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
The nursing staff is extremely unorganized and impossible to get a hold of, it's not their fault, the clinic hasn't figured out a process for patient's that makes sense. They are overburdened and inaccessible.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is unorganized, I do not think I have ever had an appointment that wasn't moved at the last minute (nearly every single appointment was rescheduled even during a cycle). They are all individually quite good at what they do, but the collective effort is extremely poor and unorganized. There are serious order of operations/organization issues.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Around 15,000
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
eSET
What specific things went wrong at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Richmond Center for Fertility.
I had to call 5-6 times to have them order my medicine before cycle, every time I would call I would not get to actually talk to someone and would have to leave a VM. The nurse would then return call and tell me I needed to start birth control (I had already been on bcp for months, which should have been noted in my chart as they prescribed it and mapped out plan) and it took a lot of work to get them to order my meds. They are just extremely unorganized.
Richmond Center for Fertility
Richmond
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Shah was very understanding and empathetic during the process. He gave me the responsibility of passing information along to my wife, and kept me involved in the process heavily....Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor who gives the appropriate level of detail to make treatment explanations thorough but also understandable for non-doctors. In addition, he clearly has an evidenced-based ideology which I personally agree with. Facts - and not emotions or impulses - are what drives his decisions. While even he admitted that there were steps that ended up not working during our cycle, I do believe that he gave us the best possible chance for success.
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fert] seemed like an average, "fine" clinic...The nursing staff was very nice in person and made us feel comfortable while in the office, but seemed to forget where we were in the process or lose track of where we were when we called in...It was clean and new feeling, and I had absolutely no issues with it...There were steps that we were not made aware of. As the male, I had to often rush to get sperm samples tested in short order. This was despite the fact that we were constantly asking what I could do next to stay in line with the program schedule.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor and trustworthy person. The main drawbacks remain his office staff service.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Richmond Center for Fertility.
The nursing staff was very nice in person and made us feel comfortable while in the office, but seemed to forget where we were in the process or lose track of where we were when we called in. There were no mistakes made that affected the procedure (to our knowledge, at least) but it is disconcerting to call in and talk to someone who does not seem as organized as you had hoped - especially when considering the cost of the services.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic seemed like an average, "fine" clinic. I have no complaints regarding the clinic, but also had no experiences there that led me to believe it was anything special. It was clean and new feeling, and I had absolutely no issues with it. Having not spent much time in clinics, maybe this does actually make it special.
The costs were high but normal for the procedure.
What specific things went wrong at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Richmond Center for Fertility