Duke Fertility Center

Durham
5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Anne Steiner to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Duke Fertility Center to a friend?
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Well of note she is now at Duke and I do not have experience there. I will say Dr. Steiner was great non judgements supportive and even while I did not see her every time I knew she was always on top of my care
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and know she will support you. One of the first and most important moments with Dr Steiner was when I first went in I knew she would say my weight was a factor in my infertility. But to my pleasant surprise she went through everything and never mentioned it. I brought it up and she said “yes every less pound would be helpful but I am assuming from the way you asked you have tried dieting and eating healthy. I told her I had it was just really hard for me in those programs because the weight did not just fall off. She said well it is up to you if you want to try and lose a few more pounds before we do this I will support you but I know you want this baby and I am not going to keep that from happening because of something that has not happened with your effort. My job is to help get you pregnant not judge you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
IUNC fertility was fabulous. They made me feel like I was the only person in their care. Personalized one on one attention and must say Ally the nurse was my saving grace in regards to sanity
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
She did the standard protocol they use but tailored it based on my labs and my pharmacy plan options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Ally was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met. She Celeste’s the successes and reassured me when I was worried
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very efficient but still make you feel like a person not a number. Great scheduling for working people. Had support all the time. Knew they would be there for egg transfer no matter the day even if on a holiday. Support and backing of UNC but feels like a private clinic. Every doctor I saw was fabulous. I knew no matter what doctor I saw they were all on same page and I could trust them. Even though Dr.Steiner is at Duke now I will without a doubt go back to UNC if we forward later with a frozen embryo transfer. Also if side notbthey give you the cutest little gift when you graduate
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
Well efficient machine. Very personalized but they blocked off early morning so you could get labs and or ultrasounds and still make it to work on time. Also open 7 days a week for monitoring appointments and procedures. I could have scheduled later in the day if needed but early morning was great for me and so many others
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
So my husbands insurance luckily has great infertility insurance so our experience was very different
Describe Anne Steiner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
So dr. Steiner only put one egg in based on research. I never pushed the fact because their frozen and fresh egg transfer success ratios are the same. And like she explained it is better to try again with a frozen embryo the chance multiples. Now I will not the decision to only put one was based on my age and embryo quality
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Steiner is very direct and research-driven. The fact that she continues to conduct research on faculty at a major institution is one of the elements that led myself and my husband to seek her care. If you are looking for a super-compassionate, empathetic doctor, she may not be for you. She cares, and will demonstrate that at times, but not during every interaction. She could be short with a response on occasion, but generally gave me the information I was looking for. Dr. Steiner was convinced that ovulation induction was the only treatment we would need, and told us she would comfortably continue that regimen for six or more months. We progressed to IUI only at my request. After four cycles, none of which resulted in a pregnancy or chemical pregnancy, we relocated, and began with a new doctor. Should we have stayed in the area, I may have sought a more aggressive doctor.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll need to assert yourself a little bit, as Dr. Steiner is a very seasoned specialist and will give you a full run-down of your diagnosis and case without pausing.
During our consultation and follow-up appointment, Dr. Steiner took her time with us, explaining treatment and general fertility concepts in a clear manner. She remembered our details at every interaction, and her care felt personalized for the case we presented.
I have a history of irregular or absent periods. Dr. Steiner prescribed 2.5 mgs of letrozole (Femara) on cycle days 3-7, with an ultrasound to check progress on day 13. Each cycle produced one or more mature follicles, and after the ultrasound, we did a trigger shot (Ovidrel) at home that evening. For the first three cycles, we had timed intercourse around the ovulation window. For the fourth and final cycle, we went in for an IUI 36 hours after the trigger shot.
I didn't have much interaction with the nurses, as I wasn't doing IVF. In general, they were pleasant, and responsive via portal messages.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There are a few aspects of the clinic I wish I had known about before beginning treatment. UNC is a teaching clinic. It will most likely be fellows (students in their fellowship years) who perform most of your ultrasounds. At times, this was (literally) uncomfortable. I have a retroverted uterus, and the first fellow to do a transvaginal ultrasound on me had a lot of difficulty finding her way around. Unlike many teaching hospitals/clinics, the practice's physicians will not ask your permission beforehand to have the fellow observe or even perform the ultrasound. After the uncomfortable ultrasound, I preemptively requested a practice physician when checking in for my next one. Later, at another ultrasound, an unsupervised fellow gave me misinformation and tried to cancel our IUI (she was under the impression that the clinic only did IUI cycles with multiple follicles, while Dr. Steiner was aiming for me to have one mature follicle). The method of communication, at least as a patient of Dr. Steiner's, is strictly through portal messaging. I was never able to speak on the phone with Dr. Steiner, and 90% of the time, responses on the portal came from a nurse. This I imagine is typical for correspondence having to do with refills, etc., but when I wanted to pass on some information regarding my short period, I was told to book a follow-up appointment, which seemed unnecessary. I would also add that nurses perform the IUIs. This may not be uncommon, but took me by surprise.
For ovulation induction, medication was about $110 per cycle, and each cycle required one monitoring ultrasound which cost about $270. The IUI was about $700. My HSG was about $400. The initial consultation was about $400, and the follow-up with Dr. Steiner was about $340. Insurance did not cover anything, but gave us discounts because the clinic was in-network.
Raleigh
Dr. Steiner took time to sit with us and answer our questions. She presented the information in an easy to understand way, showing diagrams and charts as well as statistics. She always responds quickly via email and return phone calls.... Dr. Steiner is medically professional. She explains things in layman's terms. The only thing I didn't care for was she did not do all of my ultrasounds. I feel like she did not explain the percentages with IUI versus IVF.
European, Other
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Take a notebook to write things down because she goes over a lot of information in the first couple appointments.
Dr Steiner used Follistim 375 units per night for 8 nights. I went in every other day for blood work and vaginal ultrasounds. One day, because my veins roll, they stuck me at least 10 times and still could not get blood. I wonder if results would have been obtained that day if it would have changed the outcome for me.I did not get to my Ovidrel trigger shot because my estrogen lowered and progesterone went up so they did not allow me to do that. Other doctors performed my vaginal ultrasounds since Dr. Steiner was not in the office.
All of the nurses were very friendly and attentive to my needs as a patient. They were easy to communicate with, would reply in a timely manner to emails and had compassion for the situation.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
Not sure since we are using insurance and are having some issues in that department. From what insurance has told us , we have used $13k so far.
Raleigh
I feel like the doctor [Anne Steiner] went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other office also found fibroids that were missed or that I was never told about. Luckily, the fibroids are small and not in an area that affects fertility. I still feel like I should have been told about them...if they even found them in the first place. The other issue is that I am over 40 and Dr. Steiner went into my care with an expectation of failure despite the fact that my AMH number is good for my age. I had to request this test myself, by the way. I now have guidance from a gynecologist who found that although my thyroid is within normal range it could be better for fertility. This was never even discussed at UNC. News flash: more and more women are having babies in their 40s. Although more difficult, it is not impossible.
Find another doctor.
I feel like the doctor went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance.
I was put on Clomid to increase my chances due to my age. I took an Ovidrel trigger two cycles. I ovulate regularly but an OPK missed it one month so it was decided this was a good way to go. I had 3 IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
My nurse was fantastic. She had a wonderful bedside manner and was very caring.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The difference between the ultrasounds I had here versus at my new gynecologist's office were night and day. The doctors at UNC missed the mature dermoid and often had trouble finding my left ovary which meant the ultrasounds were often very uncomfortable. The nurse at the new office found everything easily and walked me through the whole process. The procedure was not at all uncomfortable and she explained what she found and answered all of my questions. Huge difference. I hated going to this clinic because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey.
My insurance covered 3 IUIs, but the clinic hits you with additional costs that are not covered. Examples of some of these costs is a $100 administrative fee and a sperm thawing fee. I was not told about either of these beforehand which I don't feel is too much to ask. Just let me know about all the out-of-pocket costs upfront. I do feel the administrative fee is just a way for them to get around the contracted insurance rate, however.
Raleigh
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor...She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result...Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor. I feel I have a good gauge of this since both of my parents are in medicine and had experienced infertility. So we always aligned her suggestions and treatment options against their knowledge-base and experiences. She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result. She had us all set up for an IUI, but due to delayed ovulation, decided to post-pone the treatment a month. This was a very big blow after 14 months of waiting, but it paid off! Timed intercourse with a trigger shot was all we needed to conceive! I'm now 8 months pregnant with a healthy boy!
Go see her, especially if you're at all like I was--consumed with finding a cause and a cure and highly emotional. I think she's a good fit for us. It also just feels better to put yourself in such experienced hands. I had visited one Dr prior to Anne Steiner who performed a routine procedure on me to make sure my Fallopian tubes were not blocked. By the end of the treatment, he said this was not the cause of my infertility and what did I want to do next? As if I were the expert on next steps? He did not have the bedside manner Dr. Steiner did nor provided an expert opinion so that I had the power to make a great choice. My experience with that office was not great from start to finish and I can confidently say that it was a complete 180 at UNC Fertility...from the welcoming floor of the facility where they have HGTV on all the time (what better to take your mind off of everything) to the staff, who was always very pleasant, to the nurses, who I loved, the great care from Dr. Steiner and her partners and then to the flexible hours on weekends as well as the quick responses on the patient portal. Even the billing was handled much more delicately prior to our first appointment as they ran our insurance and communicated with us what we could expect to pay prior to our arrival. This was huge. Nothing makes you feel worse about infertility than feeling as though you're somehow responsible for costing your family loads of money for treatment. UNC was sensitive to that and my previous experience with CC was not.
Dr. Anne Steiner is pretty brilliant. I had done lots of research prior to my appointment with her as we had been trying for over a year by that point in time. She was very patient with me even though some of my research wasn't really mainstream medicine. I could tell her mind was working to diagnose what could be happening. Regardless, she laid out our options very clearly and gave us her honest opinion on our chances. It enabled us to make a concise choice very quickly on how we wanted to proceed with possible treatments.
At the point at which I saw Dr. Steiner, we had been a year infertile already. My OB had already run some basic tests on me with thyroid, progesterone levels, etc. to verify everything was working as it should. She even ran me on a few cycles of Clomid and Fermara. So by the time I saw Dr. Steiner, I was pretty frustrated that nothing had worked thus far. Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take. We decided we'd start with fermara + IUI which clocked us in at 3x more likely to succeed than if we remained on the fermara alone. The next step was injections + IUI, however, that only got us to 9x likely to succeed, and the next step after that had a 15% success rate. So we decided to start with the 3x, then progress to the 15x for maximum results. We technically never even got to the first stage as the trigger shot + timed intercourse was all we needed to conceive. From this experience, I took away some knowledge that it's possible the cause might've been a hormonal result from the hormones I was already taking as well as poorly timed intercourse. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again with our next attempt, however, now I feel well-informed if it were to happen and how to work better with my body.
Very caring! The main nurse who responded to me via the patient portal worked around holiday schedules with me and provided me with progesterone samples enough to last me through the holiday closing hours.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Feel I've covered this already. Great strengths...didn't encounter weaknesses.
$600 +
we never discussed this
Raleigh
Our full analysis was not done and could not he done the day of sample. We had previously discussed this with the doctor [Dr. Anne Steiner] but it was not anywhere on our charts. We were not able to find morphology due to this reason and that was one of our troubles we knew...Follistim and ovadrel for an iui procedure. Had 3 eggs and 7.5mil sperm. Major confusion on analysis after...Very up front and honest.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Very up front and honest. Paid out percentages and suggestions in a way previous doctor had not. Did get impression that I would not be a good candidate for their of program tho. Was very gentle and explained new staff with her each time
It's a teaching clinic
Very kind. Saw many different doctors in clinic but everyone was usually upbeat. Check out was always a breeze and didn't feel like just there to slide your card
Was not up to date on our plans always
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
We had scheduled a full analysis for part of the iui. They did not due this and we were not told until after the fact
Had programs but were not attainable for ivf. Iui prices were reasonable
Raleigh
Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Rotating doctors at UNC. Nurses do the IUI, but doctors do monitoring. Each time I scheduled consults it was a different doctor which was frustrating. Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Waiting on results that were delivered a week ago. The results can affect current cycle so I need to know them.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths: knowledge, research, good doctors and nurses, one of the best in the area SART-wise Weaknesses: rotating doctors, advocating for certain tests is hard, I wish I was assigned one doctor from start to finish
IUI w/ monitoring $888 + drugs IUI w/o monitoring $688 + drugs Attain 2 retrieval package $19,000 + drugs