4.4

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2015 - 2016
I feel like the doctor [Anne Steiner] went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which
I hated going to this clinic [UNC Fertility] because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey....In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
In the course of at least 5 ultrasounds she and the other doctors who performed them missed a mature teratoma/dermoid on my left ovary. They even missed it two different times when they knew to look for it because it had been seen on a CT scan when I had a kidney stone. I went to a gynecologist who found it easily and did not understand how it was missed and suggested I go to a new fertility clinic. The new doctor discovered that I also have an elevated CA125 marker which means the mass has to come out along with my ovary. I think it is outrageous that this was missed numerous times due to the health risk and the money wasted on fertility treatments. The other office also found fibroids that were missed or that I was never told about. Luckily, the fibroids are small and not in an area that affects fertility. I still feel like I should have been told about them...if they even found them in the first place. The other issue is that I am over 40 and Dr. Steiner went into my care with an expectation of failure despite the fact that my AMH number is good for my age. I had to request this test myself, by the way. I now have guidance from a gynecologist who found that although my thyroid is within normal range it could be better for fertility. This was never even discussed at UNC. News flash: more and more women are having babies in their 40s. Although more difficult, it is not impossible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Find another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
I feel like the doctor went in with an expectation of failure due to my age. I had to ask for every test I received. Nothing was ever explained to me. I received no guidance.
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
I was put on Clomid to increase my chances due to my age. I took an Ovidrel trigger two cycles. I ovulate regularly but an OPK missed it one month so it was decided this was a good way to go. I had 3 IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy)
My nurse was fantastic. She had a wonderful bedside manner and was very caring.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The difference between the ultrasounds I had here versus at my new gynecologist's office were night and day. The doctors at UNC missed the mature dermoid and often had trouble finding my left ovary which meant the ultrasounds were often very uncomfortable. The nurse at the new office found everything easily and walked me through the whole process. The procedure was not at all uncomfortable and she explained what she found and answered all of my questions. Huge difference. I hated going to this clinic because of the attitude of the doctor and the lack of guidance. The overall energy was just very negative. They were also not upfront about all of the associated costs so I feel like I was constantly being nickeled and dimed. I feel like I wasted time and money during something that is already a tough emotional journey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
My insurance covered 3 IUIs, but the clinic hits you with additional costs that are not covered. Examples of some of these costs is a $100 administrative fee and a sperm thawing fee. I was not told about either of these beforehand which I don't feel is too much to ask. Just let me know about all the out-of-pocket costs upfront. I do feel the administrative fee is just a way for them to get around the contracted insurance rate, however.
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
UNC Fertility
Raleigh
She [Dr. Steiner] was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded... She was kind but we didn't have much contact with her apart from during consultations. All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff [UNC Fertility]. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.... All procedures were performed by technicians or other doctors and all communication was through her nurse. At times it seemed that she was unfamiliar with the details of our case and needed to be reminded.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Request that she explain all options at your meeting because she did not offer to speak on the phone or through mychart, she always requested that we come in for a consult, which for us cost a 60 dollar copay.
She was compassionate with us, but sometimes seemed like she was unfamiliar with our particular case and needed to be reminded
We had 12 vials of frozen sperm from my husband because he is undergoing chemotherapy right now. We chose to use 3-6 vials for IUI and save the rest for possible IVF. We tried two IUI and both were unsuccessful. We are currently deciding whether to stay with Dr. Steiner or try a different clinic for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cathy G)
Fast communication, sometimes not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Fast appointment scheduling, kind front desk staff. Difficult to find out financial information and payment process was not clearly laid out before IUI treatment. We found that on the day of the insemination we were asked to pay $750 upfront.
750 per IUI, IVF apparently 22,000.
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Doctor didn't order some preliminary tests, including vit.D.
UNC Fertility
Raleigh
Treated 2020
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange...I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
[The staff at Duke Fertility was] disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible...Based on my experience I would never recommend.The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice...Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Someone referred me to Dr Steiner to get a second opinion regarding treatment options for endometriosis, so this was a consult. I asked about a test to check for a hormonal imbalance and she told me she has never heard of a test that checks for hormone imbalance. I asked twice to make sure I understood correctly with the same answer. I nearly fell out of my chair. I assume she just didn't want to give me the test since I'm not trying to get pregnant....but don't lie and say --as a fertility specialist--that you have never heard of a test for hormones. Whether it was a complete lack of concern, or a poor knowledge base, I would never recommender to anyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
If a patient is not there for fertility, you should still be honest with them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
My experience with Dr Steiner was very strange. She seemed very personable and sweet, but gave me information I know was false.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Very disorganized, but I would l likely attribute that too covid. The nurse who brought me into the office was very nice.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
disorganized and didn't know I had already taken care of my copay online. They had asked me to fill out a form online, but it wasn't accessible. This could be attributed to covid-19; maybe they are not always this unorganized. Based on my experience I would never recommend.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center.
I have no idea until I get the bill.
What specific things went wrong at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As I already mentioned, Dr Steiner told me there were no tests available for hormonal assessment.
Duke Fertility Center