4.4

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Steiner took time to sit with us and answer our questions. She presented the information in an easy to understand way, showing diagrams and charts as well as statistics. She always responds quickly via email and return phone calls.... Dr. Steiner is medically professional. She explains things in layman's terms. The only thing I didn't care for was she did not do all of my ultrasounds. I feel like she did not explain the percentages with IUI versus IVF.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they [UNC Fertility] are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Take a notebook to write things down because she goes over a lot of information in the first couple appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Steiner used Follistim 375 units per night for 8 nights. I went in every other day for blood work and vaginal ultrasounds. One day, because my veins roll, they stuck me at least 10 times and still could not get blood. I wonder if results would have been obtained that day if it would have changed the outcome for me.I did not get to my Ovidrel trigger shot because my estrogen lowered and progesterone went up so they did not allow me to do that. Other doctors performed my vaginal ultrasounds since Dr. Steiner was not in the office.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
All of the nurses were very friendly and attentive to my needs as a patient. They were easy to communicate with, would reply in a timely manner to emails and had compassion for the situation.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The one weakness to me is that I did not see the same doctor for each ultrasound appointment. I felt that it could have been beneficial to have the same doctor do each ultrasound for consistency. The strengths are they are friendly, compassionate, organized and easy to work with. The hours are convenient as is location. Their website has a patient portal and they do use it effectively. The financial and billing staff are excellent as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
Not sure since we are using insurance and are having some issues in that department. From what insurance has told us , we have used $13k so far.
Describe Anne Steiner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Dr. Steiner is very direct and research-driven. The fact that she continues to conduct research on faculty at a major institution is one of the elements that led myself and my husband to seek her care. If you are looking for a super-compassionate, empathetic doctor, she may not be for you. She cares, and will demonstrate that at times, but not during every interaction. She could be short with a response on occasion, but generally gave me the information I was looking for. Dr. Steiner was convinced that ovulation induction was the only treatment we would need, and told us she would comfortably continue that regimen for six or more months. We progressed to IUI only at my request. After four cycles, none of which resulted in a pregnancy or chemical pregnancy, we relocated, and began with a new doctor. Should we have stayed in the area, I may have sought a more aggressive doctor.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll need to assert yourself a little bit, as Dr. Steiner is a very seasoned specialist and will give you a full run-down of your diagnosis and case without pausing.
During our consultation and follow-up appointment, Dr. Steiner took her time with us, explaining treatment and general fertility concepts in a clear manner. She remembered our details at every interaction, and her care felt personalized for the case we presented.
I have a history of irregular or absent periods. Dr. Steiner prescribed 2.5 mgs of letrozole (Femara) on cycle days 3-7, with an ultrasound to check progress on day 13. Each cycle produced one or more mature follicles, and after the ultrasound, we did a trigger shot (Ovidrel) at home that evening. For the first three cycles, we had timed intercourse around the ovulation window. For the fourth and final cycle, we went in for an IUI 36 hours after the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
I didn't have much interaction with the nurses, as I wasn't doing IVF. In general, they were pleasant, and responsive via portal messages.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
There are a few aspects of the clinic I wish I had known about before beginning treatment. UNC is a teaching clinic. It will most likely be fellows (students in their fellowship years) who perform most of your ultrasounds. At times, this was (literally) uncomfortable. I have a retroverted uterus, and the first fellow to do a transvaginal ultrasound on me had a lot of difficulty finding her way around. Unlike many teaching hospitals/clinics, the practice's physicians will not ask your permission beforehand to have the fellow observe or even perform the ultrasound. After the uncomfortable ultrasound, I preemptively requested a practice physician when checking in for my next one. Later, at another ultrasound, an unsupervised fellow gave me misinformation and tried to cancel our IUI (she was under the impression that the clinic only did IUI cycles with multiple follicles, while Dr. Steiner was aiming for me to have one mature follicle). The method of communication, at least as a patient of Dr. Steiner's, is strictly through portal messaging. I was never able to speak on the phone with Dr. Steiner, and 90% of the time, responses on the portal came from a nurse. This I imagine is typical for correspondence having to do with refills, etc., but when I wanted to pass on some information regarding my short period, I was told to book a follow-up appointment, which seemed unnecessary. I would also add that nurses perform the IUIs. This may not be uncommon, but took me by surprise.
For ovulation induction, medication was about $110 per cycle, and each cycle required one monitoring ultrasound which cost about $270. The IUI was about $700. My HSG was about $400. The initial consultation was about $400, and the follow-up with Dr. Steiner was about $340. Insurance did not cover anything, but gave us discounts because the clinic was in-network.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
The clinic incorrectly washed my husband's semen sample for our IUI. When a nurse initially started to take us back to a room for the procedure, she was caught by another nurse, who told her it was not time yet. We were then sent back to the waiting area, where we sat in terrible suspense for about an hour. Finally, about two hours after the scheduled procedure time, Dr. Steiner came out, and told us that she was not happy with the sample's numbers after the lab first sent it back, and had them "re-wash" it, to boost numbers. My husband has no male fertility issues, so she knew the low numbers were the result of a poor job. I don't know enough about "washing" to understand how this re-washing could work, but best-case scenario, it put us through a bit of emotional turmoil. In the worst-case scenario, my appointment was two hours after the time we booked to coincide with 36 hours after a trigger shot, so ovulation timing was off, and the sample may have not been as... perky as we'd like.
Treated 2015 - 2017
Our full analysis was not done and could not he done the day of sample. We had previously discussed this with the doctor [Dr. Anne Steiner] but it was not anywhere on our charts. We were not able to find morphology due to this reason and that was one of our troubles we knew...Follistim and ovadrel for an iui procedure. Had 3 eggs and 7.5mil sperm. Major confusion on analysis after...Very up front and honest.
Saw many different doctors in clinic [UNC Fertility-Raleigh] but everyone was usually upbeat...It's a teaching clinic...[the nurse] Was not up to date on our plans always...We had scheduled a full analysis for part of the iui. They did not due this and we were not told until after the fact...Iui prices were reasonable...
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Very up front and honest. Paid out percentages and suggestions in a way previous doctor had not. Did get impression that I would not be a good candidate for their of program tho. Was very gentle and explained new staff with her each time
It's a teaching clinic
Very kind. Saw many different doctors in clinic but everyone was usually upbeat. Check out was always a breeze and didn't feel like just there to slide your card
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Was not up to date on our plans always
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Had programs but were not attainable for ivf. Iui prices were reasonable
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UNC Fertility.
Our full analysis was not done and could not he done the day of sample. We had previously discussed this with the doctor but it was not anywhere on our charts. We were not able to find morphology due to this reason and that was one of our troubles we knew
Raleigh
Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Rotating doctors at UNC. Nurses do the IUI, but doctors do monitoring. Each time I scheduled consults it was a different doctor which was frustrating. Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions...Waiting on results that were delivered a week ago. The results can affect current cycle so I need to know them.
Strengths: knowledge, research, good doctors and nurses, one of the best in the area SART-wise Weaknesses: rotating doctors, advocating for certain tests is hard, I wish I was assigned one doctor from start to finish...IUI w/ monitoring $888 + drugs IUI w/o monitoring $688 + drugs Attain 2 retrieval package $19,000 + drugs...Rotating doctors at UNC. Nurses do the IUI, but doctors do monitoring. Each time I scheduled consults it was a different doctor which was frustrating. Dr Steiner and others were kind and spent time answering my questions.