4.4

5704 Fayetteville Road
Durham, NC 27713
919-572-4673

Treated 2017 - 2018
Ally [nurse at UNC Fertility] was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met...[Monitoring appointments are a] Well efficient machine. Very personalized but they blocked off early morning so you could get labs and or ultrasounds and still make it to work on time. Also open 7 days a week for monitoring appointments and procedures. I could have scheduled later in the day if needed but early morning was great for me and so many others
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Well of note she is now at Duke and I do not have experience there. I will say Dr. Steiner was great non judgements supportive and even while I did not see her every time I knew she was always on top of my care
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and know she will support you. One of the first and most important moments with Dr Steiner was when I first went in I knew she would say my weight was a factor in my infertility. But to my pleasant surprise she went through everything and never mentioned it. I brought it up and she said “yes every less pound would be helpful but I am assuming from the way you asked you have tried dieting and eating healthy. I told her I had it was just really hard for me in those programs because the weight did not just fall off. She said well it is up to you if you want to try and lose a few more pounds before we do this I will support you but I know you want this baby and I am not going to keep that from happening because of something that has not happened with your effort. My job is to help get you pregnant not judge you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
IUNC fertility was fabulous. They made me feel like I was the only person in their care. Personalized one on one attention and must say Ally the nurse was my saving grace in regards to sanity
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
She did the standard protocol they use but tailored it based on my labs and my pharmacy plan options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
Ally was the calm in the storm. She goes above and beyond with her patients. She is one of the most compassionate, organizations zed, and calming person I have ever met. She Celeste’s the successes and reassured me when I was worried
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Very efficient but still make you feel like a person not a number. Great scheduling for working people. Had support all the time. Knew they would be there for egg transfer no matter the day even if on a holiday. Support and backing of UNC but feels like a private clinic. Every doctor I saw was fabulous. I knew no matter what doctor I saw they were all on same page and I could trust them. Even though Dr.Steiner is at Duke now I will without a doubt go back to UNC if we forward later with a frozen embryo transfer. Also if side notbthey give you the cutest little gift when you graduate
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UNC Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility.
So my husbands insurance luckily has great infertility insurance so our experience was very different
Describe Anne Steiner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
So dr. Steiner only put one egg in based on research. I never pushed the fact because their frozen and fresh egg transfer success ratios are the same. And like she explained it is better to try again with a frozen embryo the chance multiples. Now I will not the decision to only put one was based on my age and embryo quality
UNC Fertility
Raleigh
Dr. Steiner has such a warm, nurturing personality. She really makes an effort to explain everything in detail and answer all questions. She has called me personally to answer questions and has done routine monitoring scans herself when she is in the office, rather than the sonographer or nurse....When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger.
When I went back to the clinic [Duke Fertility] in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
I started seeing Dr. Steiner after my previous RE retired. I immediately saw the changes she brought not only to my care, but to the way the clinic did things. She has the best bedside manner, she is warm and compassionate, nuturing and really looks out for her patients. She takes the time to make sure all of your questions are answered and that you feel comfortable with every stage of treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Anne Steiner used in your cycles at Duke Fertility Center and their degree of success.
When Dr. Steiner took over my care, I was "on the bench" due to a large ovarian cyst. Previously, we had done one cycle of timed intercourse using 5mg Letrozole plus an Ovidrel trigger and one IUI also using 5mg Letrozole and an Ovidrel trigger. The following 2 cycles I had to sit out due to the cyst. Dr. Steiner recommended birth control pills to help shrink the cyst and they worked! For the 5th cycle, Dr. Steiner recommended increasing the Letrozole to 7.5mg, plus the Ovidrel trigger and another IUI. It was negative unfortunately, but Dr. Steiner encouraged us to keep going and also talked with us about options for the future (ex: doing a HSG, adding in FSH injections or thinking about IVF). We did one more cycle (the 6th) with 7.5mg of Letrozole, the Ovidrel trigger and IUI, which was also negative. At this point, we had a consult with Dr. Steiner to talk about moving on to FSH injections (a min-stim cycle). Dr. Steiner really took the time to explain exactly how it would work and answer all of our questions. She also recommended switching from Letrozole to Clomid. For the 7th cycle, I took 100mg Clomid and 8 days of Gonal F injections (75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 75iu, 150iu, 150iu, 125iu, 125iu). Dr. Steiner made sure to communicate with me throughout the cycle and explained each time the dosage was increased/decreased. At the time of trigger, I had 1 18mm follicle, 2 17mm follicles and 2 16mm follicles. I was very nervous about the high risk of multiples and not sure if I should continue with the IUI. I contacted Dr. Steiner multiple times and she eased my fears. The 7th cycle was successful and I am now expecting my second child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Kemper)
After Dr. Steiner joined the clinic, I could see positive changes in the staff. I've had the best experiences with Dr. Shaia- a fellow at the clinic; Stephanie Kemper, Cathy Gustafson, and Randa Blenden- nurses; and all of the medical assistants and phlebotomists. Everyone is warm and compassionate and goes out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
When I went back to the clinic in February 2018 to try to conceive my second child, it was much different from my experience there in 2015 when I was trying to conceive my first child. In 2015, the doctors and staff were great, I felt like a person and not a number. Fast forward 3 years and that was not the case. My RE was the same as I saw in 2015, but the staff was all different. I did not have a good experience with the fellow that was there at the time, she did not have a good bedside manner or personality. Communication was not good, I did not have blood drawn during many stages of my cycles and I received conflicting information from different staff members. Then my RE retired and Dr. Steiner joined the clinic and took over my case and I could immediately see the positive changes. I was switched to a different fellow, I had blood drawn during every monitoring appointment and communication improved greatly. Dr. Steiner has been a truly positive addition to the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center.
A consultation with Dr. Steiner was $55- my specialist co-pay. All monitoring and bloodwork appointments were fully covered. IUI appointments were $55. Medications: I purchased Letrozole ($5-$10) and Clomid ($15) through Walgreens. I purchased 3 Gonal F redi-pens from Freedom Fertility pharmacy ($330 per 300iu pen) and one from Town Drugstore ($270 per 300iu pen).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
As previously stated, when I first went back to the clinic in February 2018, I did not have a good experience. One time, I showed up for an appointment and it had not been scheduled and I received conflicting information between cycles 1 and 2.
Treated 2016
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor...She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result...Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at UNC Fertility?
I think Anne Steiner is a strong doctor. I feel I have a good gauge of this since both of my parents are in medicine and had experienced infertility. So we always aligned her suggestions and treatment options against their knowledge-base and experiences. She's pragmatic but very compassionate at the same time. She wants to move towards solutions that will get couples out of the "wondering" stage and towards a desired result. She had us all set up for an IUI, but due to delayed ovulation, decided to post-pone the treatment a month. This was a very big blow after 14 months of waiting, but it paid off! Timed intercourse with a trigger shot was all we needed to conceive! I'm now 8 months pregnant with a healthy boy!
Go see her, especially if you're at all like I was--consumed with finding a cause and a cure and highly emotional. I think she's a good fit for us. It also just feels better to put yourself in such experienced hands. I had visited one Dr prior to Anne Steiner who performed a routine procedure on me to make sure my Fallopian tubes were not blocked. By the end of the treatment, he said this was not the cause of my infertility and what did I want to do next? As if I were the expert on next steps? He did not have the bedside manner Dr. Steiner did nor provided an expert opinion so that I had the power to make a great choice. My experience with that office was not great from start to finish and I can confidently say that it was a complete 180 at UNC Fertility...from the welcoming floor of the facility where they have HGTV on all the time (what better to take your mind off of everything) to the staff, who was always very pleasant, to the nurses, who I loved, the great care from Dr. Steiner and her partners and then to the flexible hours on weekends as well as the quick responses on the patient portal. Even the billing was handled much more delicately prior to our first appointment as they ran our insurance and communicated with us what we could expect to pay prior to our arrival. This was huge. Nothing makes you feel worse about infertility than feeling as though you're somehow responsible for costing your family loads of money for treatment. UNC was sensitive to that and my previous experience with CC was not.
Dr. Anne Steiner is pretty brilliant. I had done lots of research prior to my appointment with her as we had been trying for over a year by that point in time. She was very patient with me even though some of my research wasn't really mainstream medicine. I could tell her mind was working to diagnose what could be happening. Regardless, she laid out our options very clearly and gave us her honest opinion on our chances. It enabled us to make a concise choice very quickly on how we wanted to proceed with possible treatments.
At the point at which I saw Dr. Steiner, we had been a year infertile already. My OB had already run some basic tests on me with thyroid, progesterone levels, etc. to verify everything was working as it should. She even ran me on a few cycles of Clomid and Fermara. So by the time I saw Dr. Steiner, I was pretty frustrated that nothing had worked thus far. Dr. Steiner suggested a procedural plan since we had exhausted the normal avenues and their correlated percentages of success. I felt as though she was more determined to see if the Fermara would work better for me at a higher dosage (something my OB hadn't suggested was an option). So she let us choose what path we wanted to take. We decided we'd start with fermara + IUI which clocked us in at 3x more likely to succeed than if we remained on the fermara alone. The next step was injections + IUI, however, that only got us to 9x likely to succeed, and the next step after that had a 15% success rate. So we decided to start with the 3x, then progress to the 15x for maximum results. We technically never even got to the first stage as the trigger shot + timed intercourse was all we needed to conceive. From this experience, I took away some knowledge that it's possible the cause might've been a hormonal result from the hormones I was already taking as well as poorly timed intercourse. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again with our next attempt, however, now I feel well-informed if it were to happen and how to work better with my body.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at UNC Fertility.
Very caring! The main nurse who responded to me via the patient portal worked around holiday schedules with me and provided me with progesterone samples enough to last me through the holiday closing hours.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Feel I've covered this already. Great strengths...didn't encounter weaknesses.
$600 +
we never discussed this
UNC Fertility
Raleigh

Dr. Steiner is very well educated and knows what she is doing. She is very understanding and cares about her patients. Doesn't force any treatments and listens to what her patients want to do...is a great listener...She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
All of the nurses [at Duke Fertility Center] are amazing and understanding...For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500...I believe the clinic doesnt have any weaknesses. They have everything to accommodate any treatment option. They are open 7 days a week which is how all fertility clinics should operate. They even have an acupuncture treatment person for after ivf...I did 3 monitored clomid cycles. We started with 100mg days 3-7 then moved on to 150mg days 3-7. We triggered at around day 12.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Dr. Steiner is a great listener and she knows what she is doing. She tries to adjust the treatment each time to something good different so she can find out what might work. She seems to know a few good ways to alter the ivf process to get more eggs and to increase r he lining.
Be optimistic and know that the doctors will listen to your concerns.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
All of the nurses are amazing and understanding.
For just a monitored cycle with clomid around $500

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. She's knowledgeable, warm, and kind. I feel like she listens and really cares. I enjoyed working with her. I just think that the clinic is rather overloaded. I wish I'd had more time directly with her...Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault...We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously...there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time...
Cathy [nurse at Duke] has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients...Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume...is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Don't expect much face to face time, but it's not her fault.
Dr. Steiner is very warm and personable. She really cares. I do think Duke is overloaded though, and there's very little face-to-face physician/patient time built into their model.
We did two agonist cycles given success with that approach previously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Duke Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cathy Gustafson)
Cathy has a wonderful heart. She truly cares about her patients. She is knowledgeable about the treatment protocols and will go the extra mile to help patients.
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Duke is a high volume clinic. Lots of patients because people with Duke insurance can only get coverage there. I think they could use more providers and more nurses. There are good people there, though.
It was around $4500 per cycle, not including medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Duke Fertility Center.
Duke isn't the most organized clinic. I think it's due to volume.
Durham
she [Dr. Anne Steiner] thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models...is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine...
Strengths [of the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center] would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized...I was told that my insurance covered the appointments but suddenly I had to pay out of pocket for consultations...I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals...[Dr.] Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home...Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
How was your experience with Anne Steiner at Duke Fertility Center?
Steiner is a down to earth doctor who always answers questions along with making sure we understood before we made our trip back home to Jacksonville NC. Not only did she give me information about my body as a woman I didn’t even know but she also makes sure that I keep my primary doctor in the loop for potential birth defects from my medicine
Ask as many questions as possible. Relax and don’t feel uncomfortable being transparent
A human because she thoroughly went through everything with diagrams and models
I have not did the treatment yet we must pay beforehand.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Duke Fertility Center.
Strengths would be making you feel comfortable. They’re also very informative with places to get fertility loans. Weaknesses id say they’re a little unorganized
Describe your experience with Duke Fertility Center.
Please have insurance and if you don’t make sure you get quoted beforehand. If you can I’d advise getting a plan with fertility included. Also bring a notepad with you to take notes. Keep receipts etc
I know it’s like $16,000 to do 1 cycle with 2 egg retrievals