Medical SchoolAmerican U.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Wexford
9000 Brooktree Rd.
Wexford, PA 15090
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Anthony Wakim to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UPMC Magee to a friend?
He read my chart prior to my follow up visit and was very familiar with my plans and my timeline. He laid out the treatment plan for the next 6 months (provided I do not become pregnant within the timeframe) just so I know what to expect each step of the way instead of waiting until that treatment to lay everything on me...Dr. Wakim took the time to listen to the concerns I had and helped me develop a plan for treatment going forward. With the understanding that we are on a strict timeline, we're taking an aggressive approach
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
I'm on a very strict timeline. I will be turning 40 this year and I had a miscarriage previously and a successful rainbow baby also. My pregnancy was incredibly difficult and I understood that should I become pregnant again, that it would likely be just as difficult. But Dr. Wakim took the time to listen to the concerns I had and helped me develop a plan for treatment going forward. With the understanding that we are on a strict timeline, we're taking an aggressive approach, but it just means more testing and exams for me. A small price to pay for such a large return, in my opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Tell him exactly what you want and what your plans are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Describe the protocols Anthony Wakim used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
I'm undergoing my first treatment right now, and I'm currently taking Letrozole (5mg) for days 3-5 of my cycle. That will be the treatment plan for the next 2 months should this one not work, but then we'll go with IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny. (Assigned nurse: Debbie)
Debbie was very compassionate and encouraging. She has been professional and personable each time I've seen her.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
If you're new to this, go in prepared with any questions you may have. From what meds will I be taking, to how many ultrasounds/blood tests/etc. If you've been through this before, go with expectations and have a plan in mind to discuss with him.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
So far, all of my treatments have been covered by my insurance. I have had to pay my usual co-pay and the prescriptions were also covered under my prescription plan.
Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny
Pittsburgh
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Wakim has years of experience helping women in our area with becoming pregnant. He is hands down the best for difficult cases as mine was (1 tube, 1 ovary, only tube blocked, diminished ovarian reserve). He was thoughtful during consultation and no nonsense during the procedures.... Ask all your questions when you are with him. You speak to the nurses for the rest of the treatment (other than during retrieval and transfer). He is blunt, tells you exactly what is going on, but not harshly. I actually prefer this.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
For the first part of the treatments (consultation, work-ups), he was very kind and listened to everything we had concerns with. Once in treatment, we were only able to speak with the nurses which made us feel more like a number, and very stressful.
Describe the protocols Anthony Wakim used in your cycles at UPMC Magee and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol. We were “going to squeeze out all the eggs we could” as he said. I was on an average dose of Gonal-f, and menopur. I was not on birth control prior as this doesn’t help a sleepy ovary (my ovary was in temporary POF due to a traumatic ovarian rupture from an ovarian ectopic). The dosage was adjusted after no major change in Estrogen level after 5 days. I was maxed out on both and continued to stimulate for another 10 days. We added the holding drug in at day 10. He was successful in getting my ovary to respond with this protocol. The goal was to take an aggressive approach and it worked. We had 8 eggs retrieved (again, only one ovary so this was great for us), 6 fertilized, 4 made it to day 3. Our clinic has a requirement on number of embryos to do a day 5. So we did a 3 day transfer of 2, then held our breath for our other 2. We ended up being able to freeze the remaining 2!!
During the treatment this was the most stressful part. I was never able to speak to dr. Wakim if I had any questions. I was on cancellation notice for the first 7 days due to poor initial response (before it was increased). The nurses were generally cold and straight down to business. There was no flexibility in assisting with medication needs short notice, no compassion for a bad bloodwork, or scan. No suggestions on ways to help my body respond (ended up doing acupuncture to help E2 levels). The phlebotomist team though was AMAZING!
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Strengths - long history of treating patients in our area, experience with difficult cases, clean, convenient hours for scans and bloodwork. Weaknesses- after initial appt with doctors, you only see and speak to them for retrieval and transfer. The nursing staff could be a little more compassionate considering where they are working. For out of pocket (we were completely out of pocket), the estimates should be more realistic. We stimmed for a long period of time and spent $15,000 on the medication alone, this was completely underestimated during our earlier appts with finance team, and finally, this clinic doesn’t have adjusted guidelines for patients that have only one ovary. You have to hit a set number of follicles and E2 level or they won’t continue. This can be difficult for patients with DOR or in my case, one ovary.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UPMC Magee.
They offered early morning monitoring appts which while early, worked wonderfully for anyone working long hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee.
Procedure - $11000 (retrieval, transfer, scans, etc) Medications - $15000 Storage - $750
Describe Anthony Wakim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UPMC Magee.
Due to my age at transfer (33), they recommended one but left it up to us. He made sure to explain why they recommend one at my age.
2013 - 2014
Our testing showed perfect fertility for both my husband and I, so his [Dr. Anthony Wakim] recommendation was IUI and clomid with monitoring... he listened to all my questions and concerns, and seriously considered my experiences and knowledge about my body...Dr Wakim was very thoughtful about the process we were taking (mostly diagnostic). He carefully explained the steps ahead of us and encouraged us that our path was going to lead to success. He also performed a needed procedure and was very calm, clear, and helped to lighten the mood while still quickly performing his tasks.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
He isn't always gentle as he communicates results from testing or expected outcomes, but he is very thorough and wishes to see his patients have success. Be patient and know that his experience makes him very good at his job.
The office was very busy, like a revolving door, and I didn't feel personally know. But he listened to all my questions and concerns, and seriously considered my experiences and knowledge about my body.
Our testing showed perfect fertility for both my husband and I, so his recommendation was IUI and clomid with monitoring. This protocol did eventually work though we ended up at a different clinic for the sake of proximity to our home.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UPMC Magee. (Assigned nurse: Alisha)
We loved seeing Alisha! She was supportive, kind and compassionate. She always had a smile and was ready to encourage us on our journey.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic is busy and difficult to schedule with. Plan ahead. They are very used to this process and very organized, which is important since so much fertility care is time sensitive. This can feel impersonal though, which is overwhelming at timees.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee.
Consult - $180; HSG - $700, fertility blood panel - $900, sperm washing test - $300, ultrasound - $600. (Approx). These prices are before insurance; we ultimately paid about $600 total. IUI - $2200 with monitoring.
Magee
We received full diagnostic testing through Dr. Wakim. He did explain what each test was evaluating. However after everything came back as “normal” and we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, we were not explained what to do next. It was like we were done.... experience doesn’t equal showing compassion. After he diagnosed us with unexplained infertility, next steps were never discussed. It was almost like he was saying “your situation isn’t so bad, good luck and just keep trying.”
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
He is older and clearly has experience, but experience doesn’t equal showing compassion. After he diagnosed us with unexplained infertility, next steps were never discussed. It was almost like he was saying “your situation isn’t so bad, good luck and just keep trying.” It really felt like we were kicked out with nothing to look forward to and we didn’t know what to do next.
Be persistent. Be a pest. Don’t be afraid to ask TOO MANY questions.
With the exception of the very first consultation, we were shoved along like cattle. It always felt like we weren’t important - not very personal at all.
Dr. Wakim’s assistant was so fabulous - she showed compassion and understanding. The nursing staff was not very warm, always made you feel like you were bothering them.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Magee is a busy place. New patients should expect to wait because it was always crowded. The clinic itself was nice and the environment was relatively inviting. I would suggest asking to meet with a financial representative before entering into any treatment so that you know what the costs are BEFORE you begin anything.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee.
We had all of the diagnostic tests; no treatment and we paid out of pocket roughly $4,000.00
PCOS, Other
He [Dr. Wakim] is a good at what he does just isnt very personable...Never remembered what we discussed or i guess didnt write down everything, and not very compassionate...And when treatments fail no reassurance of furture treatments working...Just not what i was expecting, wanted more conpassion and understanding.
European, Black or African-American, Native American, Other
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
Just not what i was expecting, wanted more conpassion and understanding. Lack of warmth and how could a man ever underatand the emptiness you feel when youve been told that getting pregnant naturally is not an option. And when treatments fail no reassurance of furture treatments working
He is a good at what he does just isnt very personable
The nurses were why i kept going, they motivated me and hugged me when i left his office in tears. They were so respectful and i wouldnt have made it as far as i did without them. They really are top notch!
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Clinic is great. Sometimes there were emergencies that took priority over scheduled appointment so sometimes making back to school or work aren't always possible. With so many appointments it is hard when you dont get seen in time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee.
Pennsylvania has no insurance coverage for any fertility treatments. The only thing my insurance covered was the office visits.
Magee
Dr. Waking [Dr. Anthony Wakim] was very intelligent and personable. He did give me hope for the first time. My only issue was that he wanted me to do more IUIs than I wanted but was understandable and agreeable when I wanted to proceed to the next step.... With the IUIs, I was on clomid for 5 days without any other meds. For IVF, I was on gonal f, microdose hcg at first. They did need to be increased as my estrogen did not raise quick enough. Once it did I was started on cetrotide and then ovidrel for trigger. I was also on a baby aspirin after transfer up until my 6 week ultrasound.
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
Dr. Waking was very intelligent and personable. He did give me hope for the first time. My only issue was that he wanted me to do more IUIs than I wanted but was understandable and agreeable when I wanted to proceed to the next step.
Do your research. Know what questions to ask and don't be afraid to ask them.
I felt like I saw the same PA several times and she never remembered me. But everyone was overall nice and helpful.
They seemed to be organized and were very helpful in answering questions.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Bad location, cost seems more than other states. Good results though. Was nice to have everything done in the same place. Strengths were the callback system. Left directions so I didn't have to wait for a call.
Around 17,000
Originally was only supposed to be one embryo but due to the quality they decided to transfer 2
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
He was very impersonal all the time and downright unprofessional at several points too. He delivered the news of my diagnosis without an ounce of compassion and didn't even offer me a tissue. I guess if I could sum it up in one word, I would say that the whole experience made me feel small.
He seems knowledgable enough about the ins and outs of fertility but he lacks bedside manner and compassion. If you can deal with this, he may be a good fit.
Even more than a number, I felt like a dollar sign. Throughout the entire process we were never asked how we felt about the recommended treatments. It was just assumed that we would do whatever he said. All of the interactions with everyone in the office, from the receptionist to the doctor himself were very impersonal and the office felt like an assembly line.
I've repressed many of these memories, I think, but the nursing staff as a whole seemed very cold and business-like. I don't know if I saw a single person in that office smile.
3 IUI, IVF
His bedside manner was deplorable. It was like he was God. We drove nearly 2 hours each way to get to appointments and he spent very little time with us. During our last procedure he became very nasty in the OR
3 IUI, IVF
Don’t bother
We were not given a point of contact and had to navigate the process by ourselves.
The clinic did not offer us one point of contact. You go in for meetings and then if you have questions it’s a hassle to get answers. The nurses also did not stick to our plan we created with the dr
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Be sure to ask specific questions when you are with the nurses or doctor. You aren’t really given another chance to do so. Dr Wakim does not do phone conferences so everything is face to face. We were also not told that we could monitor locally. They didn’t really offer insight on anything. Assumed we knew the process
$8,000 IVF, $3,000 embryo transfer. All meds were approximately $4,000 combined
15 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Never felt like they took the time to understand our situation. nor, did they try to make the process any easier for us and in fact we felt like they made it harder.
15 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Anthony Wakim at UPMC Magee?
I never felt like they took the time to understand our situation. nor, did they try to make the process any easier for us and in fact we felt like they made it harder. We felt like we were just a number in a huge baby factory!
during one of my IUI's I was left in the room on the table waiting for my insemination for over 30 mins. when no one came in I had to text my Hubby in the waiting room to see what was going on. he was told they forgot about me. it took them another 20 mins to come in and do the insemination!
The PA was very sweet and tried to make each appointment a positive one.