5.1

U of Cincinnati

April Batcheller works at

6565 France Avenue South
Edina, MN 55435

Dr. Batcheller has a record of success, and we are hopeful this round will be successful. She is always friendly and appears knowledgeable. Our last RE indicated, after one failed round of IVF, that our chances of a successful round of IVF would be low. April reviewed our records from that round and made significant adjustments to our protocol.... We had to persist to convince Dr. Batcheller to test us for infertility issues. She recommended we try for a year, though after persisting, testing showed severe male factor infertility that requires IVF.
This clinic [CCRM Minneapolis] clearly has advanced technology and is affiliated with the CCRM headquarters. They don't yet have published outcome data, so it's unclear to me whether their outcomes will mirror those of the Denver site. One major weakness we've experienced is lack of organized and general difficulty scheduling appointments. At the start of our treatment with this clinic, we had difficulty scheduling appointments and received mixed messages
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
Be persistent. We had to persist to convince Dr. Batcheller to test us for infertility issues. She recommended we try for a year, though after persisting, testing showed severe male factor infertility that requires IVF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
This is our second round of treatment. We previously worked with a different clinic. We feel more like a number at this clinic. We also feel our concerns were not taken seriously until we started injections. It feels as though there are more patients than can be adequately managed and that we weren't a priority until injections started.
Describe the protocols April Batcheller used in your cycles at CCRM Minneapolis and their degree of success.
We are coming to April's clinic with a history of one failed round of IVF. She's recommended a number of changes, and we're happy with her ability to adjust course from our last failed round. Priming: Estrogen and progesterone Stimming: Menopur, steroid, human growth hormone; cetrotide; lupron and novarel We'll be doing a frozen transfer after all embryos are genetically tested.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Minneapolis.
The phlebotomists are fantastic - caring, understanding, and great at drawing blood effectively the first time. We've struggled a bit with the nursing staff. We've received mixed messages and have noticed errors in our IVF calendar. At one point, test results were not shared with us which resulted in unexpected testing recommendations.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
This clinic clearly has advanced technology and is affiliated with the CCRM headquarters. They don't yet have published outcome data, so it's unclear to me whether their outcomes will mirror those of the Denver site. One major weakness we've experienced is lack of organized and general difficulty scheduling appointments. At the start of our treatment with this clinic, we had difficulty scheduling appointments and received mixed messages (or inaccurate messages) from nurses. It seems as though the clinic has more patients than they can realistically manage.
Describe the costs associated with your care under April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis.
We haven't completed the process yet. We are 100% out-of-pocket for clinic services.
Describe April Batcheller's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Minneapolis.
April recommends one embryo transfers due to my age and the high risk of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Minneapolis.
Test results weren't shared with us in a timely manner and were then referenced in passing at a follow-up appointment. This particular test required follow-up on my end. I wasn't aware of this, as the results weren't shared with me. I struggled to get testing appointments scheduled because April's schedule was consistently booked. I brought this to the attention of nurses and scheduling staff on three occasions. It wasn't until my husband contacted the nurses that our concerns were addressed. A test was ordered for my husband. As he arrived to complete the test, clinic staff suggested he didn't meet criteria for the test and gave him the option to not continue. We then later learned he did, in fact, meet criteria.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Batcheller, when I saw her which was not often, was kind and patient. She fully explained the procedure and risks and answered all of my questions. My interactions with her have always been pleasant...I was not able to talk to Dr. Batcheller directly at all over the phone and when I asked for an email address to send her an email, I was given a non-functioning email address. When I tried, via the portal, to obtain a working email, I received no response.
$3500 for transfer [at CCRM Minneapolis] plus the cost of medications...This clinic is NOT RESPONSIVE. As someone who is dealing with a highly sensitive and highly precise science, this is a terrible characteristic for the clinic. I was unable to talk to my doctor (Dr. Batcheller). I had no email, no phone number or any other way to communicate with her. I found the clinic to be incompetent and unprofessional... I am not being provided with information or responses to questions. There is no clarity on the process. The medications were not sent to the pharmacy and it generally feels like they are overworked, understaffed, or simply do not care about providing me with adequate service. Doctor Nps
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
More time with each patient and more availability for patients. I was not able to talk to Dr. Batcheller directly at all over the phone and when I asked for an email address to send her an email, I was given a non-functioning email address. When I tried, via the portal, to obtain a working email, I received no response.
My most recent experience with Dr. Batcheller is concerning. I am not being provided with information or responses to questions. There is no clarity on the process. The medications were not sent to the pharmacy and it generally feels like they are overworked, understaffed, or simply do not care about providing me with adequate service.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Minneapolis.
The nurses were unresponsive, uninformed and did not assist in ordering my medications for transfer. Quite frankly, I am not sure what the nursing staff does but every time I tried to talk to them or to reach Dr. Batcheller I was met with resistance. In fact, they gave me a general email address to email Dr. Batcheller with my concerns and the email link was bad. When I requested a new email link, they ignored me.
$3500 for transfer plus the cost of medications
Dr. Batcheller prefers a single embryo transfer for good candidates due to the likelihood of twins.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CCRM Minneapolis.
The clinic did not order my medications. When I called to inquire as to the status of medications, they assured me that they would obtain quotes from two pharmacies and that the pharmacies would call me to provide me with the quote and so that I could order the medications. That did not happen. When I followed up with the clinic, they only contacted one pharmacy and that I would need to contact any additional pharmacies with my medication inventory list (which I did not have and was not provided to me) to obtain any quotes. When I contacted the one pharmacy that they did call, that pharmacy did not have any of my contact information and would not have been able to follow-up with me to actually order the medication. None of this communication was provided by CCRM - I was the one calling on a daily (and sometimes more frequent) basis to understand what was going on. This was about a week before I was supposed to start my medications for transfer.
Edina

you very rarely speak to Dr. Batcheller. All of your correspondence is with the nurses and sometimes you get multiple opinions and information is lost in translation...is not open to using generic medications in her practice or other courses of treatment. She is so very busy that she does not have the time to review her patients records and this sometimes leads to botched transfer attempts.
If you do not have insurance a cycle is about $20K with meds [at CCRM Minneapolis]...My nurse forgot to order one of the trigger medications that’s was needed for my stim cycle. We found out about this tje day I was suppose to trigger. We ended up getting the medication at 10pm and administering it in the car so we met the deadline. Doctor Batcheller did not review my file and ignored my complicated cervix. My first transfer was canceled because she could not get into my uterus. She tried for over an hour because I’m her words “I’ve never met a uterus I couldn’t get in to.”
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
Dr. Batcheller is very arrogant and it’s her way or the high way. Dr.Batcheller is not open to using generic medications in her practice or other courses of treatment. She is so very busy that she does not have the time to review her patients records and this sometimes leads to botched transfer attempts.
Skip CCRM Minneapolis and spend your money elsewhere.
At CCRM Minneapolis you very rarely speak to Dr. Batcheller. All of your correspondence is with the nurses and sometimes you get multiple opinions and information is lost in translation.
I was on protocol five with human growth hormone for my retrieval cycle. We ended up with 3 embryos. She did not include birth control in any of my cycles due to my past history of blood clots while on birth control
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Jill)
Only good nurses at the clinic are Andrea and Margaret.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Do not go to CCRM Minneapolis. Save your money and go elsewhere. You will just be a number at this clinic. If you ask questions regarding your care you will be treated like crap by the nursing staff. There is nothing good about CCRM. You deserve better, go somewhere else
I have insurance. If you do not have insurance a cycle is about $20K with meds
Edina

We saw Dr. Batcheller at our initial consult and a scheduled (and paid for) follow-up. When we had our initial consult, there wasn’t another doctor at the practice. We had a delay before treatment and in that time another was hired. Dr. Batcheller was on vacation for the week of our retrieval. We weren’t notified or given a choice to delay and therefore our monitoring and ultimately retrieval was done by the other doctor (who is no longer at the clinic and was there a curiously short time). Both the monitoring and retrieval were poorly handled. I ovulated early, therefore retrieving only 3 of the 9-10 mature follicles I had. Dr. Batcheller called with the results of the PGS testing but otherwise I saw techs and was told I could call or email the nurses.
I was assigned one primary care coordinator [at CCRM- Minnesota] but it switched and then it wasn’t consistent anyway. They made careless errors such as asking which one of our embryos we wanted to transfer when we only had one and including subject lines in email such as “Infectious Diseases”. If I mentioned an error I was met with defensiveness... I requested my patient files be submitted to a primary care ObGyn clinic. I followed their procedure, filled out their form and I called to ensure that the request was received in a timely manner in order to be to my clinic in time for my upcoming appt. My clinic still has yet to receive my files.
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
If you can get in-person or phone contact with Dr. Batcheller, she is knowledgeable, willing to discuss and answer questions, and provides a sense of understanding. She is kind and approachable. She emphathetically discussed our situation and offered counsel. She is great... when you can see her. For me, during our IVF process we didn’t see her enough and ultimately wonder if we would have had a different outcome if we had.
She is the only doc at her practice currently so you won’t have to confirm if she will be doing your retrieval. My recommendation would be to have Dr. Batcheller/the staff outline the access/contact you will have with Dr. Batcheller during the process you are completing and adjust as you see fit. Either request additional consults or schedule and pay for them.
To my understanding, she has protocols based on intial testing that she will recommend. I didn’t come in armed with knowledge about the many and varied protocols that are out there so I took her recommendation at face value. I responded well to treatment and follicle maturation looked great trending on the 9-10 we anticipated. At our follow-up after our failed transfer Dr. Batcheller confirmed that on examination the 3 eggs retrieved were likely the 3 least mature further indicating that I ovulated early and the retrieval missed the best quality eggs. So... it’s hard to say but considering we had 1 normal embryo from 3 lower quality eggs... I would trust Dr. Batcheller to select my protocol again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis.
I was assigned one primary care coordinator but it switched and then it wasn’t consistent anyway. They made careless errors such as asking which one of our embryos we wanted to transfer when we only had one and including subject lines in email such as “Infectious Diseases”. If I mentioned an error I was met with defensiveness.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Dr. Batcheller and the embryology lab are top notch from our experience and understanding. It’s a matter of navigating the processes and people that causes the discontent. It’s a tough choice in a tough time.
$25k+
She makes a suggestion, but will support a decision of 1 or 2 embryos transferred.
Edina
She [Dr. Batcheller] was very nice when we saw her, but almost all of our communication was through her nurses who often didn't understand what Dr. Batcheller wanted for me. We had a hard time reaching her directly and often felt she failed to explain treatment risks, benefits and rationale to us. In the end, most of my treatment was determined by bringing my own research to her.... High dose of Menopur (8 vials per day) for 13 days for egg retrieval. Break for CCS testing, beta 3 integrin biopsy and ERA biopsy (done only at my request and all showing abnormalities). Two months depot lupron for suspected endometriosis.
Communication was very timely and staff [CCRM Minneapolis] was compassionate, but often with errors, such as being given the wrong medication protocol or told to schedule a certain test on the wrong cycle day.... I was given incomplete medication lists, told to schedule a procedure on the wrong day, told I didn't need certain tests that in fact did show abnormalities, and not contacted when promised with lab results.
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
She was very nice when we saw her, but almost all of our communication was through her nurses who often didn't understand what Dr. Batcheller wanted for me. We had a hard time reaching her directly and often felt she failed to explain treatment risks, benefits and rationale to us. In the end, most of my treatment was determined by bringing my own research to her.
Be assertive about what you need.
I was given standard protocols until I presented my own research and asked for treatment modifications based on my specific issues.
High dose of Menopur (8 vials per day) for 13 days for egg retrieval. Break for CCS testing, beta 3 integrin biopsy and ERA biopsy (done only at my request and all showing abnormalities). Two months depot lupron for suspected endometriosis. Will do FET with a single day 6 normal embryo, with one extra day of progesterone following ERA test. Will do antihistamine protocol and lovenox for possible autoimmune or clotting issues.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Minneapolis.
Communication was very timely and staff was compassionate, but often with errors, such as being given the wrong medication protocol or told to schedule a certain test on the wrong cycle day.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Strengths are the compassion and knowledge/skill. They also have an amazing lab. Weaknesses are significant disorganization and inaccurate communication, likely stemming from having too many patients for a single doctor.
Medications were over $10,000. We spent about $5000 on tests and additional appointments. Retrieval with testing was $16,000 and transfer will be over $4000.
She recommended single embryo transfer due to risks associated with multiples. No further explanation was given.
Edina
Dr. Betcheller is very kind and relatable, and she made me feel heard and understood. However, she is very, very difficult to get a hold of, which is not ideal when going through IVF.... At first, we were really pleased with our interactions with Dr. Batcheller and felt more optimistic and positive than we had with our previous clinic. We felt like she had the expertise and experience to help us, and she has a warm and empathetic personality, which really helped. However, I feel like she was not completely realistic regarding our chances.
CCRM has high success rates, particularly with elective single (euploid) embryo transfer. They have a large network of clinics and do a lot of research. The major downside is that they are very expensive and you literally pay for everything. You cannot talk to the doctor (even on the phone) without paying extra money. We had a few follow up questions (after our regroup appointment) and were charged over $100 for a 10 minute phone call.
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
At first, we were really pleased with our interactions with Dr. Batcheller and felt more optimistic and positive than we had with our previous clinic. We felt like she had the expertise and experience to help us, and she has a warm and empathetic personality, which really helped. However, I feel like she was not completely realistic regarding our chances. She was always more optimistic than I felt. We know that IVF is unpredictable and there are no guarantees. We just wish she had been more realistic with us, as ultimately our cycle was a total fail.
4-week priming cycle with estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, and Lupron, followed by 10 days of stims with Follistim (300 IU), Menopur (4 vials per day), Lupron, growth hormone, and dexamethasone. I had great lab results with this protocol and had eggs retrieved. We had a low fertilization rate (60% fertilized with ICSI) and none made it to blastocyst.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CCRM Minneapolis.
Initially, we were impressed with the nursing staff. There were a couple nurses who met with us more than the others and one in particular (Andrea) was very kind and caring (she had gone through IVF herself). However, as time went on, we had a few interactions that left us feeling like we were just a number--they sometimes seemed out of the loop and overworked (managing too many patients), particularly when the doctor was gone for a couple weeks this past summer. We had a lot of miscommunication regarding the start date for our IVF protocol, and that caused us a lot of unnecessary stress.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Approximately $16,000 (maybe more?) for workup, egg retrieval, anesthesia, embryology fees, and CCS.
Dr. Batcheller was 100% in favor of eSET with a PGS-tested euploid embryo, and we were very much in agreement with her. Unfortunately, we did not have any blastocysts to transfer.
Edina

My egg retrieval [with Dr. April Batcheller] failed to have any embryos viable for chromosome testing or transfer and she never called me to explain the results... Dr. Batcheller never called to check on me, offer an explanation or talk to me about next steps. I had to call to make a follow up appointment with her. I felt abandoned after the poor retrieval process and didn't feel she cared about me or helping us.
All the nurses at CCRM were great. They also appeared very busy...I remember during the work-up phase she charged for everything. They do not submit to insurance you have to do that yourself...Hours are convenient. Staff seems very knowledgeable...My egg retrieval failed to have any embryos viable for chromosome testing or transfer and she never called me to explain the results.
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
Dr Batcheller seemed very eager to get us started and very optimistic about a successful IVF cycle for us. We had an uneventful stim and had 9 mature eggs at retrieval I was very confident in her Knowledge and experience shared her optimism. However when only 2 fertilized and zero made it to blastocyte she never called me. The embryologist gave me the bad news. Dr. Batcheller never called to check on me, offer an explanation or talk to me about next steps. I had to call to make a follow up appointment with her. I felt abandoned after the poor retrieval process and didn't feel she cared about me or helping us.
She is busy. Her staff is short handed and very busy. This can be a very emotional process with ups downs and confusion. If you are new to IVF treatments you should know you will feel like you are on your own.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Minneapolis. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
All the nurses at CCRM were great. They also appeared very busy.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Hours are convenient. Staff seems very knowledgeable.
Edina

First impression [of Dr. Batcheller is that] she seemed super nice, friendly, and relatable. But then she proceeded to treat us as a number and statistic rather than as people trying to expand their family. She explicitly told us that her top priority was her clinic's success rates...It took multiple phone calls to convince her that we were not willing to transfer more than one embryo due to the risks. Finally she agreed and we did one eSET.
you can't even call the Minnesota location [of CCRM] directly. You get routed to a call center in Colorado, who then leaves a message for someone from MN to call you back. And they rarely do...[nurses are] Horribly unorganized. Also very difficult to get a hold of and get a response from...It was terrible from start to finish. With every interaction, my experience just got worse and worse...Our one cycle was mostly covered by insurance, so the cost seemed reasonable.
How was your experience with April Batcheller at CCRM Minneapolis?
She was very shady. First impression she seemed super nice, friendly, and relatable. But then she proceeded to treat us as a number and statistic rather than as people trying to expand their family. She explicitly told us that her top priority was her clinic's success rates.
Don't go near her
She explicitly told us that her top concern and top priority are her clinic's success rates.
I did an FET, and she had me on birth control pills, then lupron. Then doxycycline, then estrogen and Progesterone in oil.
Describe your experience with CCRM Minneapolis.
Terrible. First of all, you can't even call the Minnesota location directly. You get routed to a call center in Colorado, who then leaves a message for someone from MN to call you back. And they rarely do.
Our one cycle was mostly covered by insurance, so the cost seemed reasonable.
She was very high pressure and told us we could not do a SET since we were using embryos from another clinic and she couldn't verify their quality, so she told us we had to transfer 2. Though she clearly had the quality grading and all of the information from the previous clinic and could obviously have done more research on them. It took multiple phone calls to convince her that we were not willing to transfer more than one embryo due to the risks. Finally she agreed and we did one eSET.