Medical SchoolJohns Hopkins
FellowshipUCSD
8010 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
858.505.5500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Arlene Morales to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Specialists Medical Group to a friend?
2013 - 2014
She [Dr. Morales] addressed our concerns honestly and while being blunt she still showed compassion to our situation. She was extremely detailed oriented and kindly entertained and answered the page of questions and concerns we had. Throughout the duration of our treatment she spoke to us by name, always made eye contact, asked personal questions that were specific to us and genuinely showed sadness and concern when things didn't look good with our embryos.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales is a straight-to-the-point woman. She does not sugar coat anything, but still has the skill to show compassion. She is detail oriented and as many times as she has met new clients, she still managed to make us feel like we were her only clients. I've heard others say her bedside manner was cold, but I didn't find that to be true at all. My previous doctor treated us like a number and didn't care when our IUIs failed, Dr Morales was honest and kind. We appreciated her bedside manner and found it to be honest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
The only thing I wished I had asked was what her failure rate was. I wouldn't expect her to offer that up, but I wish I had asked. Prior to our experience I had never met anyone who had a failed IVF experience and as we came close to that end I was shocked. A couple of years later when friends of ours underwent IVF and had zero embryos I was in shock again. I had never heard of that happening, but of course should have known better and asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr Morales had reviewed our file before our Consultation and as we discussed our options she was already prepared according to our specific needs and contents of our file. She addressed our concerns honestly and while being blunt she still showed compassion to our situation. She was extremely detailed oriented and kindly entertained and answered the page of questions and concerns we had. Throughout the duration of our treatment she spoke to us by name, always made eye contact, asked personal questions that were specific to us and genuinely showed sadness and concern when things didn't look good with our embryos. After our miracle embryo took she did a happy dance with us in the office to celebrate. She checked in with me during each blood draw and even made a personal call after I was no longer under their care and was transferred to my OBGYN.
Describe the protocols Arlene Morales used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
I began by taking Progesterone + Estrogen/Estrace (2mg) 2x/day prior to and through my cycle. After my cycle ended I took Follistim (300IU) and Micro hCG (10 IU) for one week. After a blood draw at week 1 I took the Antagonist = Ganirelix 1x/day while being monitored. For Egg Retrieval I took HCG (3333 units) as a subcutaneous injection + Dostinex (.5mg) tablet daily for 7 days. Day before egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Morning Day of egg retrieval I had no injections or medications. Evening of egg retrieval I began - Progesterone (400mg) vaginal capsule 2x/day which continued through first week of pregnancy. I also started Doxycycline (100mg) 2x/day for only 5 days + Estrace (2mg) tablet 2x/day + Aspirin (81mg) 1x/day + Dostinex (.5mg) 1x/day After positive pregnancy test I continued the Progesterone for a week.
Top notch doesn't even begin to explain the nursing staff. From the front desk to the phlebotomist, to our nurse at each visit and the nurses in the O.R. they were kind, compassionate, attentive and professional. We were greeted by name by each nurse we interacted with, I had various nurses checking in on my at blood draws, the nurses in the O.R. were EXTREMELY patient when I was emotionally a wreck. The nurse we had at the embryo transfer was a rock for us as we dealt this shocking news. A handful of nurses did a happy dance with us when we got a positive pregnancy test and the nurse who called to tell me about our positive pregnancy test cried with me over the phone. We couldn't have been more impressed with the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The only thing I can think of that wasn't ideal was the wait to get in for a consultation. We waited maybe two months to get an appointment, but once we we decided to move forward we had no issues getting appointments. We both liked that they offered early a.m. appointments as we could go before work. We also appreciated they offered free parking and had a cozy waiting room. But I think we the fact that they were an all encompassing (had their own lab, could do all blood draws on-site, did egg retrievals and embryo transfers under the same room) was incredible. Results came back quickly, the entire staff was on the same page with our record and day-to-day details. We found their costs to be honest, up front, and they even gave us tips on where to get the discounted or less expensive meds. Really no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Clinic Fee $4500 + Surgery/O.R. (egg retrieval & embryo transfer) $6000 both due at start of agreement. Anesthesiologist for egg retrieval $460 and was paid directly to the anesthesiologist on the day of retrieval. We also chose to do an updated blood/hormone panel for me which cost $700. Our insurance helped with some of the over-the-counter medications ($6 for Aspirin & $6 for Estradiol). Injectables, needles, alcohol pads, progesterone, trigger shots, and other medications cost approximately $7000. Our insurance paid half of the cost for the egg retrieval so we were reimbursed roughly $1500 if I remember correctly. Had we need Cryopreservation for embryos it would have been $1100 and embryo storage would have been billed $65 monthly or $600 annually.
Describe Arlene Morales's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
My husband and I had decided we only wanted a single embryo transferred and since we had both been diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Dr. Morales fully supported that decision.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Arlene Morales at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Morales] explains things and seems to know what she is talking about and backs up the information with recent research. She speaks very fast and uses medical terms that I don't always understand so a lot of the time I leave feeling confused or overwhelmed. I don't feel she takes patients situations case by case and treats everyone the same as she has her own agenda in mind...very smart and experienced.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Morales is very smart and experienced. She explains things and seems to know what she is talking about and backs up the information with recent research. She speaks very fast and uses medical terms that I don't always understand so a lot of the time I leave feeling confused or overwhelmed. I don't feel she takes patients situations case by case and treats everyone the same as she has her own agenda in mind .
Be prepared with your own questions to ask and do research before hand to know what to ask for.
She and her office are very busy. When I meet with her it is always very rushed. She has very little bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: I was but rarely saw her. Now I have someone new, Kelly )
Every time I go it seems I have a different nurse. For my first cycle I had a care coordinator that I mainly spoke to via phone or email and did not see her often st the office. This cycle I have a new care coordinator and she is new to the office, and seems inexperienced. My last appointment I saw someone different. It makes it difficult when it seems there are so many people involved and no one really knows you or your situation other than what is written in the chart. The clinic I was at before I had one care coordinator and mostly one nurse that I dealt with for all of my care.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
For the most part everyone is nice and friendly . I have never had any problems getting appointments and for most appointments I am seen right at my appointment time. There is a lot of staff which is good, but at the same time makes it confusing as to who is your main point of contact for questions or concerns. With so many people being involved in your care, it can feel at times like you are just a number and no one really knows you or your case.
I did a single embryo ivf transfer with a donor embryo. I think her reasoning behind doing one is because I only had two. The first one failed and I am about to two the second transfer. Hoping for better results.
San Diego

Dr. Morales does not have good bedside manner. She was rushed and rude. She didn't seem to care about our treatment or individual needs. We felt like cattle being herded through the baby making machine.
Pick a different doctor and clinic.
We could tell that Dr. Morales was very busy, and she seemed distracted when we met with her. She spoke very quickly and didn't really give us a chance to speak at all. She seemed to have a rehearsed speech that she gives all new patients. We did not feel good after leaving her office. She also told us to just keep trying on our own and it would happen. We did that for a year after meeting with her. It didn't matter to her that we had already done that for a year. After almost 5 years of trying every fertility option out there we still have not conceived, so clearly she was wrong about that.
We left this doctor before beginning treatment because our experience with her and her staff was so bad.
They were terrible! They were so disorganized. Anytime I called they said they lost my file and would have to call back when they found it. They also told me I'm a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis, and it turned out they were looking at the wrong chart, and I'm NOT a carrier. They also failed to provide us with their binder for IVF procedures, then told us to make sure we understood everything inside it and sign the paperwork that goes with it. When we said we never got the binder, they said we could just sign the papers next time we come in without actually reading through it. This was the last straw for us, and we left the clinic after this.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I was very unhappy with this clinic. We only went there because our insurance referred us there. The clinic seemed to have way more patients than they could effectively manage. Lots of things seemed to fall through the cracks. I would never tell anyone I care about to go to this clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
San Diego

She [Dr. Arlene Morales] did not recommend he see a urologist and when I suggested it could not give any recommendations of who to see. Instead she continued to go on with IUIs and was ready to jump right into IVF when all 3 IUIs failed which we now know would have also been wasted since my husband has some abnormalities that need to be addressed by a male infertility urologist.
My initial impression was not a good one with her running 90 minutes late for my first assessment. When she finally came in she was very frazzled. Then when I returned for follow up with my husband she was again all over the place and did not even introduce herself or acknowledge him for the first 30 minutes. Those are minor compared to the fact that she gave us inaccurate information on my husband’s SA results that essentially should have made her stop with all of our IUIs and proceed with further testing. She did not recommend he see a urologist and when I suggested it could not give any recommendations of who to see. Instead she continued to go on with IUIs and was ready to jump right into IVF when all 3 IUIs failed which we now know would have also been wasted since my husband has some abnormalities that need to be addressed by a male infertility urologist. We are with a new RE now and still trying to sort out what our best options are to maximize success vs Dr. Morales who was ready to just go through all the motions without considering what would give us the best likelihood for success.
Make sure you ask lots of questions and rationale for why she is doing things. Also, get a second opinion.
The front desk made frequent errors as did the doctor who often would say the wrong medication that I was taking, the wrong cycle day I was on and the wrong IUI cycle we were doing. Even when she was directly looking at the chart.
I was on letrozole 7.5 mg for all 3 IUIs which worked for me produce 1-2 follicles. We had to cancel 1 cycle because my husband had high WBC suddenly. She said this would not be a problem if we were doing IVF which I now know is false. The high WBC damage the DNA so would have been a huge issue if we were doing IVF.
I did not like that there was always a new nurse. I had a difficult time ever getting through to speak with someone. They would send me to their voicemail and it could take days for a response. For our first IUI they wrote the wrong date for the trigger which luckily I caught within hours of almost giving myself the injection too early. The nurses are very nice but both my husband and I had a difficult time with many mistakes by the nurses
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I do think that everyone was nice but in the world of infertility I think that is a bit irrelevant. I liked that I saw the doctor every time but in retrospect I was rushed through and she was so frazzled I was surprised she even know who I was. Knowing what I know now through interaction with our new RE my top complaints are with Dr. Morales not explaining the importance of certain tests or the rationale behind them and that she was not up to date with what to do for male factor problems and did not refer us appropriately to someone who was more knowledgeable on this issue. The front desk was very disorganized with paperwork, billing us too much on several occasions and forgetting to have us sign papers that then required us to return for additional visits just to sign. The nurses were caring but with a new face each time they didn’t really know our situation.
We did have coverage for IUIs so with copays and meds it came out to about $200 per cycle. We had 3 IUIs and 1 cancelled cycle plus one frozen sample for my husband so in total around $1,000
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
San Diego

Dr. Morales made this experience so great for us! I had all the confidence in the world with her and the team. She reassured me on occasions when I was worried, joked with me to lighten the mood and was our biggest cheerleader. She guided us through the process but never pressured us to do any test or procedure etc we did not feel comfortable with. She showed genuine care and compassion to my husband and I and I will be forever grateful for her.
Trust the process. Dr.Morales knows her stuff and is always working with your best interest at heart.
Everyone from the front desk to the ma's to nurses and especially Dr. Morales made us feel so special and loved. We developed a close relationship with a lot of the staff at FSMG!
I was on injectable hormones to stimulate follicles for egg retrieval. Based on tests Morales had me relatively high on dose which we ended up increasing even more over the course of two weeks as my follicles were "sleepy" after egg retrieval we did a FET due to my progesterone being a little too elevated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha)
The ivf coordinator Martha was amazing. She is the first nurse we met and went through lots of the logistics of ivf with. She herself has been through the process so it was very comforting to hear her story. She was so thorough in explaining doses, how to give yourself a shot and what to expect. All of the nurses I came across throughout the process were great and very helpful and caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Very comfortable office. By the time you are released from their care it feels like home!
About 13 grand
For our purposes and only having 4 embroyos we decided one at a time was best for us.
San Diego

Dr. Morales was very professional. She explained everything, in a fast almost ‘over your head’ kind of way because all the infertility lingo & process is new but also because she was probably rushed as her clinic is very busy. But she made she sure she answered all of your questions. During her consultation she asks you what you expect & how many kids you want & I truly believe she tries to make that happen....She will see you at all your visits & makes sure your questions are answered but she will not hold your hand through the visits & process.
East Asian, Latino
I really liked Dr. Morales but she was always so rushed & busy. I’m glad her clinic is booming but I would have liked for her to not be so rushed in my appointments. She did get straight to the point during our time together & even had time for small talk. She is very smart women, but very text book smart. I guess in this field, you have to go with statistics & data. I stimulated pretty quickly on my meds & brought that up to Dr. Morales, but insisted to ‘see what happens’ & continue on course rather. I think if she took a minute longer to think about how I stimulated quickly & possibly think about a different course of action, we may have had more ‘normal’ Day 5 embryos. Overall I did like Dr. Morales & would see her again for baby #2 only because I already had 1 successful pregnancy even though I would have to go through IVF all over again.
Her clinic is busy, so be prepared to have a limited time with Dr. Morales. She will see you at all your visits & makes sure your questions are answered but she will not hold your hand through the visits & process.
Dr. Morales was very professional. She explained everything, in a fast almost ‘over your head’ kind of way because all the infertility lingo & process is new but also because she was probably rushed as her clinic is very busy. But she made she sure she answered all of your questions. During her consultation she asks you what you expect & how many kids you want & I truly believe she tries to make that happen. I like her upfront, real attitude.
I don’t remember exactly what meds I was on for stimulation, but I did a 5 day embryos transfer & I miscarried. It was devastating. Dr. Morales recommended I do a uterine receptivity which tested if my uterus lining was ready for the embryo to transfer & implant on the current protocol I was on. I was hesitant because it would cost an additional $1k & push back my protocol for one month. The results revealed that if I was on progesterone for 6-12hrs longer than when I did my first 5 day transfer, my implantation rate was 90% more successful & it worked!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Martha, RN)
The nursing staff is amazing!!! They were always pleasant & nice. Returned calls, remembered what they talked about you during your last visit (even if it’s personal & not related to ivf).
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strength: For the most every time I needed to speak to someone, I always got a call back back within a day. The clinic was attentive. Weakness: you can tell the clinic was busy. They never made you feel rushed or hurried but Dr. Morales was always on the move. She was the only person that you would have to wait on. You wouldn’t wait long.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Monitoring was fairly easy. I work full time but only 4 days a week, so some times I sacrificed sleep to go in for monitoring but for the most part, I was able to fit it in when it was convenient.
My insurance covered 50% of IVF (which I included monitoring, ultrasounds, & blood draws): $10k Anesthesia for egg retrieval (must be a written check: $1500 (honestly I forgot) PGS: I was able to qualify for a study so it was free but so think it’s $2500 Uterine receptivity test: $1000 2nd 5 day embryo transfer (because of 1st embryo transfer miscarriage): $2500 I paid the low end of stimulation meds because I stimulated quickly: $2500
Since I had my eggs PGS tested, Dr. Morales recommends that we do a single embryo transfer. She said she was willing to do a multiple transfer if the first transfer wasn’t successful.
San Diego

Although it is clear Dr. Morales has many patients (the clinic was typically pretty busy when we were there), I saw her every single visit... for every ultrasound, every procedure, every consult, and never felt rushed or brushed aside...I felt that Dr. Morales took the time to make sure I understood all of the treatments and reasons behind each treatment decision. The entire staff was always warm, remembered my name (and my husband's name) and truly become good friends.
Dr. Morales was always very honest about my diagnosis and treatment options- something I valued. In a process that can be very frustrating and leave you feeling out of control, it is nice to have a clear plan of action! Although it is clear Dr. Morales has many patients (the clinic was typically pretty busy when we were there), I saw her every single visit... for every ultrasound, every procedure, every consult, and never felt rushed or brushed aside.
It is scary.... but go to that first consult, listen to what the doctors have to say, and ask lots of questions! We cancelled our initial consult a couple of times because we were so nervous to hear bad news. But the more we learned- the better we felt!
The nursing staff was great! They answered all of our questions, even calls and emails quickly (emails we especially valued). They are also wonderful patient advocates - always looking for the best value on medications, making sure if anything could be covered by insurance that it was, etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Although a bit tricky to find the first time, the clinic is great. Very nice, clean, and inviting. The front desk staff (who will remember your name after your first visit - it's amazing!) always has a smile on their face and is ready to greet you. Great coffee in the waiting room too!
I was pleasantly surprised to see the doctor (not a nurse or medical assistant) for every monitoring appointment. It was also nice they started them so early in the morning (7:00 AM)
San Diego
Dr. Morales talked to us like we are smart people. She was straightforward and told us what she knew we wanted to know...I've been very pleased with Dr. Morales as a patient. She is clear, kind, and thorough. She is very knowledgeable. She makes you feel that you can trust her and the information she is giving you. She understands the concerns and is willing to slow down to explain things as much as needed.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, or to ask Dr. Morales to explain something again until you understand. There is a lot that is confusing, and she is willing to explain it if you ask.
I'm still in the process of being treated by Dr. Morales. We have not gotten to the treatment phase yet.
Dr. Morales' nurse who worked with us was very kind and explained things thoroughly.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The financial manager is very good and the best person to talk to about the finance portion of things. Come with questions. Be prepared to listen and learn. Recognize that you will likely leave with even more questions, but rest assured you will get them answered! Be on top of your insurance coverage and payments! Keep copies.
50% of our diagnostic procedures were covered by insurance; the rest of the costs were paid out of pocket. 50% of treatments are also covered by insurance.
I have not experienced this yet.

2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
I trust her competence with all the decisions we've made and procedures we've had done. She has also let meetings go long after we've had failures. All that said, this is a busy practice and she is on the move.
2013 - 2015
3 IUI, 3 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. Morales seems up to date on the newest practices, especially when it comes to genetic screening and various genetic diagnostic procedures -- this is one of the reasons we chose to go to her. I trust her competence with all the decisions we've made and procedures we've had done. She has also let meetings go long after we've had failures and are going over results and next steps. All that said, this is a busy practice and she is on the move. When you come in for an ultrasound, it is friendly but quick and in small talk Dr. Morales may mix up a few personal details (not important to treatment -- but things like "How was your trip to Europe?" and I'm like "What trip?"). If you are looking for a doctor to ponder the meaning of life with at each appointment, you might prefer a different practice.
I consider the practice as a whole to be run extremely well. From the receptionists to the MAs to the nurses, I feel that everyone there quickly got to know me as a person and it was actually very pleasant being around the office/clinic and interacting with them. Dr. Morales' manner is a little scattered, though she very clearly cares about our outcome. I would consider that the practice as a whole is very well staffed and personable.
I have worked with several of the nurses and they all knew our case extremely well, were easy to get in touch with, happy to answer questions, good at explaining things and very personable.
San Diego

She [Dr. Arlene Morales] really took the time to cover everything with you, really listened when she asked about how you responded to medications. She really wants to get to help you expand your family. She will also tell you exactly what will happen (if you do IUI/ IVF treatments and what to expect after them.... She took the time to get to know us, answered any and all of our concerns, and would explain everything in details. Plus she has a great sense of humor!
She really took the time to cover everything with you, really listened when she asked about how you responded to medications. She really wants to get to help you expand your family. She will also tell you exactly what will happen (if you do IUI/ IVF treatments and what to expect after them.
She will tell you the truth. She wants to help you achieve your dreams.
She recommend IVF to begin with (due to the length of time we've been trying); we wanted to start with IuIs first. She did as we asked, and would look at one cycle vs the next to see how the numbers would change (follicle size/ how many developed and on which side). She also asked about side affects from the medications clomid vs. letrezule.
All of the nurses are fantastic. They cheer with you when you succeed (if you lost some weight); helped you when the tests were negative. Very caring.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Make sure to bring your new patient forms filled out before hand-they are very long and it's easier to have them completed beforehand.
Insurance did not pay for any treatment. They always made you aware of the costs upfront.