6.1

UCSD

Armando Arroyo works at

5792 Widewaters Parkway
Syracuse, NY 13214

Dr. Arroyo is a very kind man and explains things thoroughly. He and his wife also went through infertility, so he understands what we're going through. He is very diplomatic and doesn't have super strong opinions, but does offer occasional advice. I do wish there was more direct communication. I usually have to talk to a nurse, who then talks to him, and then gets back to me.... I actually get to see him during visits unlike my other doctor.
Boston IVF – Syracuse is very clean, and they are usually on time with appointments. It's still a fairly new clinic... The nursing staff is ok. There aren't that many. They are friendly, but they don't really go above and beyond what their job is.... The ultrasound tech and nurse had conflicting info...TWICE on how thick my lining was and how many follicles/size.... It's not super convenient because you have to get bloodwork and ultrasounds before 10 am
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Arroyo is a very kind man and explains things thoroughly. He and his wife also went through infertility, so he understands what we're going through. He is very diplomatic and doesn't have super strong opinions, but does offer occasional advice. I do wish there was more direct communication. I usually have to talk to a nurse, who then talks to him, and then gets back to me. But I think it's that way in a lot of cases.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Dr. Arroyo is very friendly, and I actually get to see him during visits unlike my other doctor.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Albany Center and their degree of success.
2 timed intercourse with Letrozole (no trigger). In the middle of first IUI cycle with Letrozole and trigger. I previously went through 2 IUI cycles and 1 egg retrieval and 4 transfers at a previous clinic. I took some time off, and we're kind of starting over again since my body seems to want to try to work again. So far, I have only gotten negative results, and my luteal phase is shorter on these protocols.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Boston IVF – Syracuse is very clean, and they are usually on time with appointments. It's still a fairly new clinic, so I don't think they have too many patients yet. It's not super convenient because you have to get bloodwork and ultrasounds before 10 am, and they don't have a lot of really early appointments, which makes it difficult with work schedules. I usually see nurses when I go, and rarely the doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
All treatment so far has been covered by insurance (IUI, testing, drugs, etc.)
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF - The Albany Center.
Boston IVF - The Albany Center
Loudonville

With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer...never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc...provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions...I did one egg retrieval with fertilized with frozen sperm and did genetic testing on the embryos. I can't remember the medications or doses. Though I remained on several through 10 weeks of pregnancy.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's [Boston IVF] part...When I was getting treatment, the clinic was newly-established. The clinic itself was mostly easy to navigate. One challenge is that (at least at the time that I was receiving treatment), there wasn't a large enough patient population to support an embryologist on-site. This meant needing to sync up cycles with all patients undergoing retrieval or transfer so that an embryologist could come from Boston and do all the procedures in a single week. This led to a prolonged course of treatment that I hadn't expected.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo provided very few details about his treatment plan, would always speak very vaguely. He never included us in decision-making or made any adjustments to the standard care plan. His bedside manner was awkward and made me uncomfortable on many occasions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Use the nurses to your advantage in communicating with him. Make sure you keep asking questions until you get a satisfactory answer.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
Dr. Arroyo never knew my case prior to our meeting, was constantly re-asking me questions, etc.
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF.
My insurance covered most of my costs with the exception of genetic testing. I had some copays for procedures and office visits.
Describe Armando Arroyo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
With genetic testing, Dr. Arroyo discouraged multiple embryo transfer. I agreed with this decision.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
There were several points where my treatment was delayed or nearly delayed by 4-6 weeks due to poor communication on the clinic's part.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] did my hsg and told me I was fine, then called me in as I was getting ready to leave to tell me my tube was blocked and I needed surgery in order to move forward. I later found out that he wasn’t going to tell me at all and the nurse made him...he had no bedside manner and wasn’t going to tell me something that was extremely important. He also told me I need surgery when every other dr said that would be the most extreme corse of action.
The clinic [CNY Fertility Center] itself is good, and price is way cheaper then around. Communication could be better but the nurses do their best to help and make people feel comfortable. They all acknowledged me by name and would answer all my questions...I had to have my hsg done two times because of his [Dr. Armando Arroyo's] mistake. I refused to pay the second one...He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] did my hsg and told me I was fine, then called me in as I was getting ready to
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center?
He did my hsg and told me I was fine, then called me in as I was getting ready to leave to tell me my tube was blocked and I needed surgery in order to move forward. I later found out that he wasn’t going to tell me at all and the nurse made him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center?
Use someone else, he had no bedside manner and wasn’t going to tell me something that was extremely important. He also told me I need surgery when every other dr said that would be the most extreme corse of action.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Armando Arroyo used in your cycles at CNY Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Hsg. Told me all was clear and it wasn’t.
Describe your experience with CNY Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is good, and price is way cheaper then around. Communication could be better but the nurses do their best to help and make people feel comfortable. They all acknowledged me by name and would answer all my questions
Describe the costs associated with your care under Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center.
I had to have my hsg done two times because of his mistake. I refused to pay the second one.
What specific things went wrong at CNY Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at CNY Fertility Center.
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
I only met with Dr Arroyo a few times. The NP handled everything...He is A very nice man and pretty much told me I would have a baby. It’s been a very long road and I still don’t have a baby. When I came in after my miscarriage he had no answers for me as to what could have went wrong with a PGS tested normal embryo...All of my protocols and treatments were done by the NP Kris Ziegler.
Kris [nurse practitioner at CNY] and all of the nursing staff are fabulous! I was treated with the best care ever...The clinic is beautiful and very relaxing. Does not feel like a Dr office but a spa. I felt that the NP at the Buffalo office had to much on her plate. I thought that the Dr should be doing the monitoring as well. Clinic needs an ultrasound tech...All of my protocols and treatments were done by the NP Kris Ziegler.
See Dr. Kiltz
I only met with Dr Arroyo a few times. The NP handled everything.
All of my protocols and treatments were done by the NP Kris Ziegler.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CNY Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kris Zeigler)
Kris and all of the nursing staff are fabulous! I was treated with the best care ever.
Describe your experience with CNY Fertility Center.
I have spent $100,000 in the last 2 years on treatments and medication.
What specific things went wrong at CNY Fertility Center?
2019, Consult
The doctor [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was... didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done...Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
[Boston IVF- Syracuse Center is] a homey feeling clinic...The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all...I was handed off like a package [by the nurse], one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I was sat down in Dr.Arroyo's office, and told that he would talk with me about everything. He said okay, you have PCOS. Great, your options are get pregnant or get on birth control. That was it. I tried to ask various questions about managing my hormone levels, and he brushed off the questions. I told him what my concerns were and he pretty much didn't care. He told me that it was what he planned or nothing. And didn't want to talk through anything at all. He signed me up for a list of over 30 tests. Most that either I had already had done, or were absolutely un-necessary, as validated by another doctor later. Never once did he ask if I had any questions or concerns. Just "see you in 6 weeks for your follow up" and ushered me into another room to talk to a financial adviser. I have NEVER left a doctor being so confused as to what was going on, and I was in tears. It was AWFUL. If you are a woman, who is looking for help, he is looking for money, he does not care about your well being at all.
RUN AWAY. FAR AWAY. Find another doctor.
The doctor never greeted me. Never asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Nor asked me questions about myself to understand who I was. He wanted to see how much money he could get out of me and that was it.
Dr. Arroyo wanted me to do 30 different blood tests, including genetics, STD (I have never had a positive pap in my life and had just had one done a few weeks earlier), wanted me to come and do about 6 different ultrasounds, and have my husband do a semen test. NONE of these were actually needed ( as told to me by my new doctor).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
I was handed off like a package, one for my weight, one for the 50000 questions they ask you, then one who's job was to talk to me about how I am going to pay for it. She literally said "Well, everything will be billed to insurance, but we don't know what they will cover, and you will have to pay the rest." Which didn't help me at all.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Its a homey feeling clinic. You don't know what you're in for when you walk in. The receptionist didn't know anything, and took 10 minutes to check me in. It is near impossible to find the office as its inside a huge building and when you use your GPS, good luck getting there. and The receptionist when you call for help can't help at all.
I have no idea, because the financial person could not tell me what ANYTHING was going to cost. I thought I would walk away with an idea but nope. She didn't know and had nothing she could tell me, even with what my insurance would cover, even though the whole point of sending my insurance information in early was so that I could have an idea of the costs ahead of time.
Syracuse

He [Dr. Armando Arroyo] never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him...He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different...We were doing a few rounds of letrozole and trigger shots with relations then going to IUI.
once I tried to pay [at Boston IVF- THe Syracuse Center] and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money...Some [nurses] were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at Boston IVF?
I only met him twice but it took up a lot of my time for him to hold the same meeting with us two times to discuss the same thing. He seemed like a nice enough guy and did explain things to us but he should have had a nurse in the office when he was explaining the plan to us because once we got outside his office everything was different.
Go to CNY fertility instead.
He never knew our names and had the same exact meeting with us TWO times and didn't know it until my husband reminded him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were very nice, some literally never spoke to me when doing 10+ minute ultrasounds. One nurse checked me in as the wrong patient and started a procedure on me as said patient!! I only found out because the doctor called me the wrong name!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clean office but they only care about money, not patients. You're COD which is fine but once I tried to pay and they told me I had no balance. When I left the office they called/emailed me IMMEDIATELY asking me to clear up my balance that didn't exist a few minutes earlier. If only they called with MEDICAL information as quickly as they called to collect money.
Monitoring and bloodwork was $450/visit.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Mentioned the payment issues and incorrect patient issue on previous slides.
Syracuse
He [Dr. Arroyo] was very friendly the few times I saw him. He was however quick about visits which was unfortunate because I didn’t feel like I could always ask the questions I wanted. I also felt like he gave false hope in the very beginning stating it would be very easy for me to become pregnant ... Initially we started with timed intercourse, without meds. ... He was personable but also quick in the room
They [CNY Fertility] are a large practice which is good and bad. ... The Buffalo office is great - nurses and NP’s are fabulous. ... I feel they have a good reputation for success but sometimes you feel like a number. ... It’s also great to have access to the Patient Portal to review labs and message the staff. ... [nursing staff] Very friendly ...
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center?
He was very friendly the few times I saw him. He was however quick about visits which was unfortunate because I didn’t feel like I could always ask the questions I wanted. I also felt like he gave false hope in the very beginning stating it would be very easy for me to become pregnant and after a year with the clinic I became pregnant once which unfortunately resulted in miscarriage.
He is actually not a provider of CNY any longer, he has moved out of state.
He was personable but also quick in the room
Initially we started with timed intercourse, without meds. Both my husband and my lab work looked good. We had monitored cycles then as follicles grew to the right size I would trigger and we would have intercourse during a certain timeframe. After one cycle of that we decided to start meds. We did Femera, triggered and timed intercourse for 2-3 cycles. At this point in my time with CNY Dr Arroyo left the practice. Since then I moved on to IUI, first continuing with oral meds and the changing to injections.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at CNY Fertility Center.
Very friendly
Describe your experience with CNY Fertility Center.
They are a large practice which is good and bad. I feel they have a good reputation for success but sometimes you feel like a number. The Buffalo office is great - nurses and NP’s are fabulous. It’s also great to have access to the Patient Portal to review labs and message the staff.
Spent a little over $6,000 in 2018 from March-November
Hamburg (closed)

He [Dr. Arroyo] was good in the hospital & surgery setting, not so compassionate at the office. The clinical team seemed to be the support not the doctor. Sometimes he's blunt. Maybe giving more time with patients.... I was giving pill form hormones the first few cycles, along with a steroid, multi, levothyroxine & shots to stop ovulation. One negative cycle, second positive cycle. Pregnancy ended in a misscarrage.... With my insurance we are slowing paying off about $2,000 so far.
Most appointments run ontime. Nurses and PAs [CNY Fertility] seem vested & care. Answer any question in a timely matter. Once you contact the team someone response and helps with any concerns. Clinical team is helpful and a team that works well together.... With my insurance we are slowing paying off about $2,000 so far. Also with the medications we spend about $300 -$400.... Good listers & good follow through
How was your experience with Armando Arroyo at CNY Fertility Center?
He was good in the hospital & surgery setting, not so compassionate at the office. The clinical team seemed to be the support not the doctor. Sometimes he's blunt. Maybe giving more time with patients.
Ask questions
Personal care with the PAs
Good listers & good follow through
Describe your experience with CNY Fertility Center.
Most appointments run ontime. Nurses and PAs seem vested & care. Answer any question in a timely matter. Once you contact the team someone response and helps with any concerns. Clinical team is helpful and a team that works well together.
Describe Armando Arroyo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CNY Fertility Center.
Na