6.5

215.654.1544
930 Town Center Dr
Langhorne, PA 19047
267.852.0780
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)
1151 Old York Rd
Abington, PA 19001
215.938.1515

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Some days I felt unimportant because he [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me...He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He [Dr. Castelbaum] never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage...My only complaint is that there were a few times (twice maybe?) they forgot to call in my medication. This problem was easily rectified by calling the after hours service. The on call doctor would call my prescriptions in for me. Aside from that, the nursing team was my rock. They encouraged me, cheered me on, and always took the extra time to explain everything to me. They have been phenomenal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very smart man. He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask for more information when you need it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
It was kind of neutral. Some days I felt unimportant because he never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It’s very difficult to get in touch with the person you’re looking to talk to. You can’t call directly through to an office - you speak to someone who puts a message in to your office and then they call you back when they can. This isn’t convenient for my line of work because I can’t talk at certain times throughout the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
The cost of an IUI cycle was approximately $1,000 and for an egg retrieval and transfer, it cost just over $10,000.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
I appreciate his conservative approach because the thought of carrying multiples worries me due to the increased health risks for myself and potential babies.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Minor problems - one being they didn’t upload my FET calendar of medication so they had to recreate it. Twice (out of many, many cycles), they forgot to call in my prescriptions.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Castelbaum] is very responsive by email... very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed... If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
The nurses and other staff in the surgery center [at RMA] are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day... They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed. He is very responsive by email, as are the nurses who work at RMA.
Don't shy away from asking questions, even if you are bumping up against the limits of knowledge in the field of Reproductive Endocrinology. If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA staff are busy, but take the time to greet and talk with everyone. This is especially true in the surgery center--the nurses there are truly kind and caring. The office usually runs on time and seems to prioritize getting patients in and out of the office within a reasonable amount of time. If there is something you need, they will put you in touch with the right person to get your questions answered.
My first protocol was a typical antagonist protocol. It went worse than expected, given my age and other lab test results, but still yielded mature eggs that fertilized with ICSI. We decided to have another egg retrieval in order to bank more embryos prior to doing a transfer. Dr. Castelbaum recommended a micro flare protocol, which unfortunately yielded no mature eggs. We are trying again with another antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The RMA nurses are excellent and very communicative. They are also very compassionate and take the time to get to know you as a patient. They are quick to respond to email and phone calls. In any case, it is still important to take the time to keep yourself organized when it comes to your medication supply and dates for upcoming cycles, and notify them quickly if you notice any problems or discrepancies.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA as a clinic is excellent. They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff. The nurses and other staff in the surgery center are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day.
King of Prussia

[RMA of Philidelphia was] Very organized and were able to communicate by email which helped since I can’t always call and talk on my phone during work. Very quick to schedule appointments and answer calls. Any time I had a concern I received a call back right away...Be prepared to hear things in a blunt manner [from Dr. Arthur Castelbaum]...does not treat you like a number, but at times I have found him to be so serious, when I really wanted a doctor who would just tell me it would be ok reassure me. Ultimately his bed side manner is what every woman needs going through fertility. I want facts and I want answers. I want to know that he has a plan and won’t give up. He never did...I only had two frozen embryos and he decided to transfer one at a time... Always has answers and is up front and honest. Doesn’t treat you like a statistic and has a an made just for you. I wouldn’t trust any other doctor as much as a trust him. He also allows you to be your own advocate and takes your computer ferns seriously
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trustworthy and doesn’t give up. Always has answers and is up front and honest. Doesn’t treat you like a statistic and has a an made just for you. I wouldn’t trust any other doctor as much as a trust him. He also allows you to be your own advocate and takes your computer ferns seriously
Be prepared to hear things in a blunt manner but accept that you’re being told the truth. You have to trust your doctor
You have to learn to trust your doctor. Dr. Castelbaum does not treat you like a number, but at times I have found him to be so serious, when I really wanted a doctor who would just tell me it would be ok reassure me. Ultimately his bed side manner is what every woman needs going through fertility. I want facts and I want answers. I want to know that he has a plan and won’t give up. He never did
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I only had two frozen embryos and he decided to transfer one at a time