6.2

9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188

Treated 2018 - 2019
he [Dr. Sagoskin] is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him...I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility-Rockville] for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office...It was just like I was another number at this clinic and with this doctor. My individual case was not taken into consideration or seriously. My voice and concerns were not heard. When I asked questions or voiced my concerns, I was ignored.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had one office visit with Dr. S and one telephone visit. Each time, it ended with me in tears. It was mostly because of his lack of compassion...if you need that from your fertility doctor, you will not get that from him. My husband was ok with his bluntness and lack of bedside manner, but it just elevated my already sensitive feelings. He made me feel worse than what I was already feeling due to my problems with infertility. He is also quick to jump to IVF which was also a problem for me. He never gave me a diagnosis which also troubled me since he was so quick to “prescribe” IVF. I can’t say it was anything I liked about him because I only had 2 visits with him. And those 2 visits were not pleasant. Nurses and other doctors completed my IUIs and I’m only allowed to communicate with him through his nurse. The nurses are not much better and blow off my questions I asked about non-invasive treatment options.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t look for compassion...he is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. S ordered the “regular” initial treatments for us. Without having a diagnosis for our infertility. He suggested 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid. After the 1 failed IUI with Clomid, when I went for the 2nd IUI, I had developed cysts (detectable via ultrasound). He then advised I skip that cycle and try another IUI cycle the following month. Since I don’t have any fertility diagnosis, I didn’t want to keep taking Clomid since my body was not reacting positively to it, so I asked him if I could do an non-medicated IUI. He complied and I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The first nurse I had was very good (Helanie). However, she left the location and after she was left, the nurse I got was random. Once Helanie left, the nursing experience went down. The replacement did not take time to know my situation or where I was in the process.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance paid 50% and I would have to pay the other 50% at the end of each visit.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The one problem I had when I was a new patient is that they hadn’t called in my prescriptions. It wasn’t a huge deal but I did have to wait at the pharmacy for quite some time to get it worked out.
Treated 2014 - 2016
Strengths [of Dr. Sagoskin]: experienced; knowledgable; offered suggestions for further testing (I wish he would have suggested a few tests must sooner); followed up after negative results and a lose; advocated for me during a miscommunication between my nurse/him/embryology. Weaknesses: disingenuous at times; not proactive at the right times (I offered up tests/procedures I would like to do, etc. and he would say "good idea" -- but shouldn't he have suggested them?); mildly responsive messages.
Strengths [of Shady Grove]: friendly staff, quick response times, great monitoring appointment times, usually minimal wait. Financial Counselors responsive. Weaknesses: Sometimes it feels like a factory, nurses and doctors lack empathy and need to think before they speak. Sensitivity training/refresher would be great for everyone. Recently added many more doctors and nurses and feels less personal, chaotic at times. What a new patient should know: Be realistic and take off the rose colored glasses. Prepare for failure. IVF is not always the answer, sometimes it doesn't work even after multiple attempts with seemingly great outcomes. Advocate for yourself, do your research, question everything, demand respect. Ask for detailed description of an egg retrieval, from talking to anesthesiologist in triage, to walking into operating room and what and who to expect to see. Take all of your pain meds after retrieval, even if you don't think you need them (you will). PGS test and only transfer normals (don't set yourself up for failure and heartbreak if you don't have to).
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Strengths: experienced; knowledgable; offered suggestions for further testing (I wish he would have suggested a few tests must sooner); followed up after negative results and a lose; advocated for me during a miscommunication between my nurse/him/embryology. Weaknesses: disingenuous at times; not proactive at the right times (I offered up tests/procedures I would like to do, etc. and he would say "good idea" -- but shouldn't he have suggested them?); mildly responsive messages.
Advocate for yourself and be aware of all the tests available to you and push for them, even if they are "experimental" or "unproven".
Very personal attention when I first started seeing Dr. Sagoskin. Loved him and his no nonsense manner. 2+ years later and no success, I feel like I'm being treated more like a number and an inconvenience at times.
I was 38 when I started treatment. Protocol 1: BCPs, Antagonist protocol, lower doses of Gonal F and Menopur, slow & long stim, Ganarelix, Lupron/HGC dual trigger. 20+ follicles, only 2 retrieved, both mature, both fertilized naturally, and 3-day transfer of visually great embryos, BFN. Protocol 2: BCPs, Antagonist, higher doses of Gonal F and Menopur, slow & Ling stim,, Ganarelix, HCG trigger, (I demanded aftee the suggestion of two other REs) double-lumen needle during retrieval, 25 eggs retrieved, at least half mature, all fertilized naturally, 6 high grade blastocysts, eSET, positive beta (but low), doubled two times, then deceased and miscarried at 6 weeks (they say chemical since no heartbeat was seen, I consider a miscarriage). Frozen five 5-day blastocysts. Protocol 3: BCPs, Antagonist, highest doses (yet) of Gonal F, Menopur, Ganarelix, slow stim, HCG trigger, double-lumen retrieval, 25 eggs retrieved, 13 mature, 13 fertilized with ICSI, freeze all with PGS testing, 2 6-day hatching blastocysts biopsied and frozen. Thawed 5 frozen blasts from Protocol 2, lost one in thaw, biopsied 4 for PGS testing and refroze. PGS tested 6 blasts, 2 (1 from protocol 2 and one from protocol 3) tested as PGS normal. FET #1: BCPs, Non-injectable E2 and P4 administered vaginally. eSET PGS normal 6-day blast from Protocol 3, BFN. Before next FET elected to do Endometrial Receptivity Array (ERA) biopsy/testing with BCPs then Injectable E2 and P4 + 5 days. Biopsy returned "non-receptive". Retest ERA with BCP then injectable E2 and P4 + 7 days. Biopsy returned "receptive". Waiting to do transfer of remaining PGS normal 5-day blast from Protocol 2. Will do BCPs, then back to back Endometrial "scratches" (one tests for endometriosis, one may aid with implantation) and then transfer. Waiting for CD1 to start new FET protocol with Injectable E2 and P4 + 7.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Friedman)
Very detailed and thorough. Extremely responsive with email and voicemail. Knowledgeable. Respected. We had a miscommunication that damaged our relationship, but we were able to put that aside. I trust her and would strongly recommend her to others patients.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: friendly staff, quick response times, great monitoring appointment times, usually minimal wait. Financial Counselors responsive. Weaknesses: Sometimes it feels like a factory, nurses and doctors lack empathy and need to think before they speak. Sensitivity training/refresher would be great for everyone. Recently added many more doctors and nurses and feels less personal, chaotic at times. What a new patient should know: Be realistic and take off the rose colored glasses. Prepare for failure. IVF is not always the answer, sometimes it doesn't work even after multiple attempts with seemingly great outcomes. Advocate for yourself, do your research, question everything, demand respect. Ask for detailed description of an egg retrieval, from talking to anesthesiologist in triage, to walking into operating room and what and who to expect to see. Take all of your pain meds after retrieval, even if you don't think you need them (you will). PGS test and only transfer normals (don't set yourself up for failure and heartbreak if you don't have to).
I have some insurance coverage so meds for 2 of 3 cycles was fully covers and paid for one cycle of meds out-of-pocket. Specialist company's for each visit including monitoring. Insurance covered all procedures except for PGS testing (covered biopsy) and RhoGam shot after miscarriage (due to blood type).
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Miscommunication between RE/Nurse/Embryology and was told frozen embryos were thawed, all survived, Biopsied for PFS testing, and sent to genetics lab for testing. 2 weeks later, no results. They were never thawed or biopsied. Once they were we lost one. Embryology said it was REs fault. REcsaid it was Embryologies fault. Nurse communicated erroneously and damaged our relationship for a long time.