Western Fertility Institute

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolEmory
ResidencyEmory
FellowshipUCLA
16260 Ventura Blvd.
Encino, CA 91436
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Ashim Kumar to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Western Fertility Institute to a friend?
Dr. Kumar came highly recommended. His office was always full, but I never felt like I was rushed or left feeling uncertain with unanswered questions. He spoke extremely calmly and carefully.... He just took to the time to make me feel like I was important and my treatment was important. It was catered to me and my needs. He did all of my ultrasounds and gave me all of my results himself.... He diagnosed me with PCOS and explained why things weren't working.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Ashim Kumar at Western Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kumar was one of the best doctors myself and my husband have ever worked with. Our initial consultation was extremely thorough and he spent a great deal of time with us. He did all of my ultrasounds and would explain everything he did as he did it. He diagnosed me with PCOS and explained why things weren't working. I asked lots of questions and he never made me feel like I was bothering him or my questions weren't valid. He genuinely takes the time to reassure his patients. I enjoyed working with him so much that I have contimplated flying back to see him for baby #2 (out of state now) . He is so knowledgeable. He caters his treatment to the individual and not just a general basis. I know several people personally who have had success with Dr. Kumar, myself included. I trust his opinion completely and with full confidence. I never once felt like it was about money. I truly felt like he wanted to help grow our family and that was his only motivation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ashim Kumar at Western Fertility Institute?
He's an extremely sought after doctor with a lot of people to see. You will more than likely not see him at your scheduled time. He does his best and never rushes his patients....so this means a wait. It's always worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ashim Kumar at Western Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kumar came highly recommended. His office was always full, but I never felt like I was rushed or left feeling uncertain with unanswered questions. He spoke extremely calmly and carefully. I never felt like a question I had was the wrong question. He would always ask me if I understood everything before we would move onto something else. If I didn't understand we would go over things again. He just took to the time to make me feel like I was important and my treatment was important. It was catered to me and my needs. He did all of my ultrasounds and gave me all of my results himself.
Describe the protocols Ashim Kumar used in your cycles at Western Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
I was very lucky that my journey with Dr. Kumar wasn't as involved as other women struggling. I started with a round of Clomid and timed intercourse. An initial ultrasound was done to diagnose my PCOS and given my history with no periods/no ovulation he started me on Clomid. Clomid is known to thin the endometrial lining so I was also put on estrogen and progesterone (both taken vaginally). Dr. Kumar explained that he's seen much better absorption and results when the medication was as close to where it needed to be as possible. I took the Clomid for 5 days and then went in for an ultrasound to check my follicle growth, as well as a blood draw for hormone levels. I waited 2 days (per orders) and then gave myself and injection into my abdomen to trigger an ovulation. My husband and I were instructed to have sex on specific days in hopes of catching the egg. After 10 days on the last day of timed intercourse I took a pregnancy test-negative. We tried again with another round of timed intercourse, but instead of Clomid, I used letrozole. Dr. Kumar explained it does the same thing as the Clomid without the major thinning of my lining. I still took estrogen and progesterone. This round worked! I became pregnant with my daughter. My lining was the same thickness level with Clomid and Letrozole, interestingly enough. My stress levels and pressure on myself was way better for my second round.
I was with Dr. Kumar when he was in an office transition and the level of care never changed. Everyone was always extremely helpful and kind. They knew waiting was not ideal, but would come in and give updates.
Describe your experience with Western Fertility Institute.
Honestly, the only downside to the clinic was the waiting, but we we're never rushed once we we're seen. Dr. Kumar took the time to take great ultrasound photos (once pregnant). He always answered our questions and before leaving he would double check to make sure we didn't have any last minute thoughts we wanted to go over. The receptionist/nurses/phlebotomist/billing we're all effective communicators and everything was done with the utmost care and respect.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ashim Kumar at Western Fertility Institute.
My insurance at the time covered 50% but it was still expensive for all ultrasounds/lab work/diagnostic work and then they covered 90% once I was officially pregnant. That being said, I expected to spend anywhere from $200-400 every time I went into the office. The initial consultation was $300 and that included an hour of conversation/history followed by blood work/ultrasound.
Describe Ashim Kumar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Western Fertility Institute.
I never got this far with Dr. Kumar
2008 - 2014
PCOS, Other
2008 - 2014
Latino, Other
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
I can remember my first attempt of IUI and receiving a negative pregnancy test, walking into that office was heart wrenching. As I sat in the exam room with tears in my eyes, Dr. Kumar walked in and immediately sympathized with my feelings and assured me, I would get pregnant and I did 3 cycles later!! His compassion that day meant so much to me. I immediately knew, he was someone I could trust throughout the process. Unfortunately, we tried 4 years later with no success and no more money BUT I know at some point, I'll see Dr. Kumar again and he'll help get me pregnant again.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
Trust him! He will not stir you in the wrong direction!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
He was very caring and sincere throughout the entire process. Not once did he make me feel like a number!
Describe the protocols Ashim Kumar used in your cycles at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California and their degree of success.
Initatially, I started with Clomid but Dr. Kumar immediately recognized this wasn't the best approach so he had me start injections to which we saw progress in what we were achieving. Dr. Kumar monitored my progression and highered/lowered my medication based off of every scan. Clearly he knew best as he got me pregnant.
Great people from what I can remember.
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Pricing! They don't provide general pricing over the phone. Not to mention, they have HUNDREDS of clients, why not lower the cost to make it affordable for ALL people like myself! At the time I received services, my provider didn't have a fertility doctor available so they offered to send me to an outside source which is when I found FSA. I no longer have this insurance carrier and cannot afford treatment as I don't have $20-$30k sitting around!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ashim Kumar at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
Fortunately at that time, it was covered by my insurance carrier. NOW however, the cost is absolutely ridiculous and out right unaffordable unless you are rich! I'm working/middle class and cannot afford $20-$30k for 1 cycle!! Sad because I'm longing for another child and all these doctors see is dollar signs! They take advantage of those who desperately seek a child and it breaks my heart!!
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
When I was able to speak to him [Dr. Ashim Kumar] he was very compassionate and caring. But he would miss phone appointments or would be too busy a lot of the time and I had to go through his nurse who would take a while to get back to me. I was scared to keep bugging them after a while as I thought that could affect my treatment t and care if I became annoying... Difficult to communicate with dr kumar without going through his nurse who didn't give much information
European, South Asian
7 IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
When I was able to speak to him he was very compassionate and caring. But he would miss phone appointments or would be too busy a lot of the time and I had to go through his nurse who would take a while to get back to me. I was scared to keep bugging them after a while as I thought that could affect my treatment t and care if I became annoying
It's not a hand holding clinic
Three week cycle to stim. No embryo glue. He prefers single transfers but will do double. Everything is done through Arlene his nurse. She makes the calendar. Not too many adjustments to the calendar after it's made. I felt I should have had another week of injections to thicken my lining instead of the 3 weeks that resulted in only 7mm upon transfer (of course or failed)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California. (Assigned nurse: Arlene )
Arlene is a woman of few words. Apparently she's very experienced and knows her stuff. She's not warm or fuzzy and very little hand holding. I felt that maybe she didn't like me but maybe she's just super busy
Describe your experience with Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
I hand holding!
Describe Ashim Kumar's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California.
He strongly prefers set due to seeing people mc with multiple
What specific things went wrong at Fertility & Surgical Associates of California?
2014 - 2017
I felt human because we became like family he [Dr. Ashim Kumar] was invested into my journey and cared about us! He was sad when we were and happy when we were... is simply amazing he sits with you as long as needed to discuss and makes sure you understand. His bedside manner is wonderful and you leave feeling accomplished and wonderful about where things are going.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Ashim Kumar at Western Fertility Institute?
Dr. Kumar is simply amazing he sits with you as long as needed to discuss and makes sure you understand. His bedside manner is wonderful and you leave feeling accomplished and wonderful about where things are going.
This office treats their patients like family and you will truly miss them once your parents!
I felt human because we became like family he was invested into my journey and cared about us! He was sad when we were and happy when we were.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Western Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Quiana )
My nurse gave me her cell phone number to call if I needed anything even when she was going out of town! She always made sure I was good and taken care of.
Describe your experience with Western Fertility Institute.
Clean, organized, friendly always saw a range of people all happy. They made sure things were kept private and made sure environment was good! Rosie at the front desk is such a friendly face to see and call each time!
2013 - 2014
2013 - 2014
European, Other
I really liked him. I feel like he was upfront and honest about our options but probably pushed us into IVF when we could have tried other options. I had a complication during egg retrieval and I didn't think he addressed it appropriately afterwards
Be your own advocate
I met primarily with the same nurses and always the doctor. However for being there every day the office staff never knew me by name or at least pretended not to and I felt like Kumar had to stand outside the door and read my chart before he came in.
They were all pleasant but could be rude on the phone or if you asked too many questions. They didn't return calls in a timely manner. The bottom line is the clinic has too many patients