Hadassah Hebrew U.
Yale

Avner Hershlag works at

300 Community Dr.
Manhasset, NY 11030

He [Dr. Avner Hershlag] showed no confidence in us conceiving with our own eggs. We went forward with ivf and never during stimulation he called or adjusted the protocol or explained alternatives. I felt his agenda was to push us to donor eggs. He seems to be a nice person but I am not sure he cares about anything but numbers. I know women who had success with him but don’t know details about their cases.
[Northwell Health is a] Factory! Run as soon as you can. Look for a compassionate climic where they can personalize your treatment. Although I went early morning, there was always a lot of waiting time. You get called loud. No privacy. The waiting room doesn’t have a warm feeling; fear rules - you can see it on everybody’s face.
How was your experience with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
He showed no confidence in us conceiving with our own eggs. We went forward with ivf and never during stimulation he called or adjusted the protocol or explained alternatives. I felt his agenda was to push us to donor eggs. He seems to be a nice person but I am not sure he cares about anything but numbers. I know women who had success with him but don’t know details about their cases. On the day of retrieval we found out that somebody else would to the retrieval, which was never mentioned before as a possibility. We would have appreciated more explanations and given alternatives about protocols. He also never mentioned some women are poor responders and that it is possible for a cycle to be canceled, so when I heard something about canceling during monitoring (nurses talking among themselves but none bothering to explain to me) we lived in fear until the retrieval actually happened. Another thing I didn’t appreciate was Dr H never mentioning acupuncture although we asked him about things that could potentially help. Subsequently I found out he does send other patients to acupuncture. Dr H seems very rigid with ivf approach, ignoring the fact that one protocol doesn’t fit all. I never felt my treatment plan was personalized to my own needs. If you want to see him, you need to schedule an appointment, otherwise only nurses call you back. If you need to reach him during treatment per se, forget about it - there is no direct number or email you can reach him to. After the first ivf cycle we wanted to try another one so called for an appointment. At that time we were told that Dr H is not with Northwell anymore. I am sure he knew he was leaving, but never told us. Months later on we received a letter in the email. Overall very disappointed with his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Don’t waste time; look elsewhere
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
It seems the clinic overall cares only about numbers. All they do is referring to statistics when in fact each of us is a unique case. Donor egg option was mentioned from the very first consultation after knowing the AMH was very low. It was us pushing to try with our own eggs.
Describe the protocols Avner Hershlag used in your cycles at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish) and their degree of success.
Low AMH - Microdose lupron, gonal, menopure. Initially they told me I had 7 follicles that became 4 on the retrieval day and one egg was retrieved, which fertilized and was transferred fresh on day 3.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Don’t remember the name but it’s irrelevant because she went on vacation, never mentioned that to us and then we struggled leaving voicemails hoping to be called back)
The originally assigned nurse went on vacation. We struggled to find others but regardless none of them was easy to get in touch with even with direct contact number. You call, leave a voicemail and maybe get called the following day. Northwell Manhasset is a factory, they are so busy that you never get personalized interaction or feel anything but a number. None of the nurses bothered to explained to me canceling the ivf cycle would be a possibility, everything was so confusing….
Describe your experience with Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Factory! Run as soon as you can. Look for a compassionate climic where they can personalize your treatment. Although I went early morning, there was always a lot of waiting time. You get called loud. No privacy. The waiting room doesn’t have a warm feeling; fear rules - you can see it on everybody’s face. Not encouraging…. You have to pay everything upfront. My second cycle was canceled but was able to received a refund in several weeks. There was nobody available to ask questions after hours. I had communication issues even during working hours - very difficult to get hold of somebody.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Lot of waiting time, they call late with results, not consistently the same time and you are always stressed not knowing when they call back
Describe the costs associated with your care under Avner Hershlag at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
Insurance covered most of it. I had to pay approx 3500 for a cycle excluding meds, which were expensive
Describe Avner Hershlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
We only had one embryo
What specific things went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
When I decided to switch clinics I asked for my medical record. I eventually got something - not the full chart with the protocol though - but it took a lot of interventions and calls. I still don’t have all my info….
Manhasset

Through the course of our IVF treatment, we only met with Dr. Hershlag twice over a period of 5 months. Often it was a struggle to receive timely and accurate information....Dr. Hershlag was not present for a large majority of our process. During the initial consult he did not take the time to thouroughly explain IUI or other options we could look into. We had recently experienced a miscarriage and I felt this was not investigated enough. After testing my sperm and simply telling us they were an “A plus” he looked to set us up on the IVF schedule. He did not perform any of the sonograms or even the egg retrieval, or even once bother to schedule an appointment to check in.
The nursing staff [at North Shore] constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity...The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. ...It was a packed office and a cattle call...review all billing carefully.
Please don’t expect to communicate or see him for almost all or most of the process.
Through the course of our IVF treatment, we only met with Dr. Hershlag twice over a period of 5 months. Often it was a struggle to receive timely and accurate information. The office staff, nurses and doctors are extremely difficult to get on the phone. We experienced wait times of twenty minutes certain days. Furthermore, the nurses did not accurately and efficiently communicate our medication needs to the pharmacy, which cost us additional expenses. There is not enough staff to deal with the volume of patients.
I was sent to a urologist to check my prostatitis, given antiobiotics to treat a minor infection, and not checked before sperm donation again to make sure the infection was gone. We were instructed to use follistim, estradiol, progesterone in oil, and HGC shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
The nursing staff constantly seemed rushed and overworked. We repeatedly had to explain recent medications taken, problems with orders and other issues over and over, due to a lack of continuity.
Terrible communication. No one mentioned the office would be closed for Martin Luther King day, which happened to be a key date for instructions in our process! After investigating this in person I was told someone should have picked up the phone and called you back. No one did. Expect to wait up to two hours if you have a Monday afternoon appointment. Please review all billing carefully.
It was a packed office and a cattle call. In one instance I had to ask a nurse to pull my wife’s chart so they could draw her blood.
PGS testing 300 testing per embryo. They would never give us the exact cost of a cycle. Insurance did cover a decent portion.
One of the biggest struggles was this clinics inability to communicate with CVS special care and give them authorization to ship our medications. My wife and I were constantly on the phone because they called in the wrong doses.
Manhasset

The second cycle the only thing he [Dr. Hershlag] did differently was stim me for a day longer and lowered my Menopur a little...He was on vacation throughout my first cycle and I have no idea who was in charge of stimming and triggering me...I don’t believe there was a specific strategy... my two egg retrieval’s were basic protocol...He preferred eSET. The first FET was eSET because it was PGS/PGD normal and the second one we put in 2 embryos because 1 didn’t have enough data from the biopsy to be tested and we only had 2 left to transfer anyway. He didn’t want to do this but we insisted. Both FETs were failures and both had at least one PGS tested embryo transferred.
The place [Northwell Health] is a factory and if you want very individualized personal care your not going to get it here... There are times when the nurses and doctors expect you to know what they’re doing and they don’t explain anything. You need to stop them and ask questions. You have to keep on track of the treatment plan as often times the nurses and doctors will ask you... “what are we doing again”. Very reassuring when your paying $17,000 out of pocket for treatment.
Dr. Hershlag seems to have good intentions, however has way too many patients that he can’t remember what he’s doing with everyone. There were several times where I had to remind him what we were doing which was very frustrating. All he had to do was take a look at notes from our previous meeting to prepare himself but he doesn’t. I’m just a number to him. Only really saw him for my embryo transfers. He didn’t do one of my egg retrieval’s and a nurse practitioner did my IUI... never saw him throughout both stim cycles or IUI cycle. I feel like my care was just basic protocol and not geared to me individually. The place is a factory.
Make sure you go into a meeting with him with written down specific questions and take notes of exactly what he says. Don’t let him rush you into a decision. Ask follow up questions. You have to be your own advocate.
The clinic is like a factory. I have barely seen my actual doctor less than half the time I’m there. Dr. Hershlag never reviewed my file prior to meeting with me and forgot everything we discussed and the plan of action we finalized moving forward. The nurses were the only ones who knew everything and treated us like humans.
I don’t believe there was a specific strategy... my two egg retrieval’s were basic protocol. The second cycle the only thing he did differently was stim me for a day longer and lowered my Menopur a little. First cycle we got only 1, 7day old embryo and second cycle 3, 6-7 day old embryos. We had a total of 22 eggs retrieved, both cycles combined. The first egg retrieval I was triggered with only 1,000 units of hcg which is why I think I barely had any mature eggs (4, from 12). The second cycle I was triggered with 10,000 units of hcg and had 6 out of 10 mature eggs. He was on vacation throughout my first cycle and I have no idea who was in charge of stimming and triggering me. Also first egg retrieval was done by a dr I’ve never met from the other clinic location.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Nurses are very sweet and caring. Sometimes it’s difficult to get in touch with the nurse or clinic for that matter when you have an important question. I felt like my nurse was my dr and that I barely had a doctor. She did make one major mistake by sending the wrong requisition form to the PGS lab. This was resolved but created a 2 week setback for my first embryo transfer.
The place is a factory and if you want very individualized personal care your not going to get it here. I’m not sure about the other doctors in this office but with my doctor you just simply didn’t get it. You will be many of the other doctors during your time here and some are better than others. There are times when the nurses and doctors expect you to know what they’re doing and they don’t explain anything. You need to stop them and ask questions. You have to keep on track of the treatment plan as often times the nurses and doctors will ask you... “what are we doing again”. Very reassuring when your paying $17,000 out of pocket for treatment.
It was a factory... come on in between 7-8 am for blood and sono. Some days you would get in and out fast, others you would wait an hour. It’s hit or miss.
Our first ivf cycle was a PGS/PGD cycle that cost us $17,000. Meds are not included and that cost us about $4,000 (which we paid twice because we did two egg retrieval’s). The second egg retrieval was $10,000 because we had some credit from the first cycle. Our lab testing for 4 embryos (PGS/PGD) was $4,600 (coopergenomics). The first FET was included in the price and second FET was $4,000. Anesthesia for each egg retrieval was $500 each time.
There were two times during the two cycles I’ve done where the office just didn’t call me with my stim protocol or leave a message so I had to guess to take the same dosage of medicine from my stim the previous day. They say I will get a call by 5pm but if you don’t then the office is closed and there’s no one to get in touch with for the answer. The clinic also sent the wrong requisition form to the lab for my biopsies. They sent them to be banked and not tested, meanwhile we wanted them tested and were prepping with Estrace for our FET. The clinic told us to call the lab for results and when we called they said they had no results becaue our clinic never told them to test the biopsies. They eventually tested but it set back our transfer for 2 weeks. I was very disappointed with our clinic after this.
Manhasset

I took clomid for a few days and Ovidrel the night before the IUI procedure [with Dr. Hershlag]...I saw the Dr, twice. Once for a consultation and 2nd for my results...After my treatment didn't result in a birth, I never received any feedback or communication from him or the staff on next steps....he doesn't give you additional information unless you ask the right questions and KNOW your stuff!...I never received a clear diagnosis or explaination on what exactly is the reason for my infertility.
The nursing staff [at Northwell Health] seemed nice but over worked and very busy...Infertility drugs are expensive and I wasn't given options to different pharmacies to consider based on my insurance...Their weakness and my recommendation are that doctors and nurses need to spend more time with patients and make sure they explain patients' diagnosis and treatment options. This is sensitive and difficult time for women, in which we are also confused. Having a compassionate team who seems like they want you to win this battle.
After my treatment didn't result in a birth, I never received any feedback or communication from him or the staff on next steps. The clinic seems too busy to give you the attention you deserve and need. I felt more like a number most times. They were one or two nurses that were very nice and compassionate but overall was not enough to make me go back.
Make sure you have all your questions and do your research because he doesn't give you additional information unless you ask the right questions and KNOW your stuff!
The doctor seemed more concerned about the money factor and already mentioning IVF on the 1st appointment/consultation and to be quite honest I never received a clear diagnosis or explaination on what exactly is the reason for my infertility. I saw the Dr, twice. Once for a consultation and 2nd for my results. I did IUI and it didn't result in a birth. I didn't return to the clinic and no one in the clinic called for a follow up either.
I remember I took clomid for a few days and Ovidrel the night before the IUI procedure.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish).
The nursing staff seemed nice but over worked and very busy.
I don't have the best insurance but it was quite expensive and had to pay at least a co-payment for every visit.
Manhasset

I feel that a doctor should take the time to follow up with his patients especially after experiencing a loss like we did, by him [Dr. Hershlag] not reaching out it made us feel we were not important to him and had us looking for another clinic...When we reached out we got the runaround and were told to speak with nurses who were not even his direct nurse...Be prepared to be suffled around to various doctors during your office visits and make sure you are ok with taking the lead in your own treatment as he does not do much follow up with his patients, you will usually talk to other doctors/nurses to get the information that you need.
The staff at the front desk [of North Shore] was always helpful and the nurses in the surgery room were so caring however; it was kind of like a factory feel at times because you were never sure what doctor you were seeing and at times they misplaced my paperwork which was a little unsettling...Jenny [nurse] was always willing to answer questions or provide information about my cycle however; there were some mistakes made in having me order medicine I never needed but on the other hand if I ran out of needed medication Jenny did try to help connect me to some extra meds if she had some available
At first we really liked Dr Herslag however after our second failed transfer he never called to follow up with us or to discuss another plan. When we reached out we got the runaround and were told to speak with nurses who were not even his direct nurse. I feel that a doctor should take the time to follow up with his patients especially after experiencing a loss like we did, by him not reaching out it made us feel we were not important to him and had us looking for another clinic.
During my first round with Dr Herslag he seemed really attentive and concerned about our process however; during the second round I feel he did not take an active interest in our case and after our second failed cycle he never even called to follow up or discuss next steps with us. When we reached out to follow up we got the runaround which made us want to consider starting treatment at another clinic
At first we tried 6 cycles of IUI which failed and then we did a frozen transfer cycle which also didn’t take. Dr. Herslag recommended me for uterine surgery to open up a blocked tube and then did another transfer which was unsuccessful
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwell Health (FKA North Shore Long Island Jewish). (Assigned nurse: Jenny )
Jenny was always willing to answer questions or provide information about my cycle however; there were some mistakes made in having me order medicine I never needed but on the other hand if I ran out of needed medication Jenny did try to help connect me to some extra meds if she had some available
The staff at the front desk was always helpful and the nurses in the surgery room were so caring however; it was kind of like a factory feel at times because you were never sure what doctor you were seeing and at times they misplaced my paperwork which was a little unsettling
All the lab fees were out of pocket and insurance only covered 70%
They made me order medicine that I never wound up needing and when I questioned them about this they couldn’t give me an answer as to why this was

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr Hershlag was very cold in his consultation appointments. He didn't seem very compassionate or understanding to me. This was the first fertility doctor I had ever gone to and I expected him to be more positive and sensitive in his approach. I also wasn't given detailed information as to the process of this whole thing. He passed me off to the nurses to give me instructions and even then I was left googling info on my own because this was so new to me and I didn't understand everything involved. I just felt like he never had time for me
Scheduling appointments [at North shore Long Island Jewish] were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
Dr Herslag was very cold in his consultation appointments. He didn't seem very compassionate or understanding to me. This was the first fertility doctor I had ever gone to and I expected him to be more positive and sensitive in his approach. I also wasn't given detailed information as to the process of this whole thing. He passed me off to the nurses to give me instructions and even then I was left googling info on my own because this was so new to me and I didn't understand everything involved. I just felt like he never had time for me
He never runs on time and you can expect to wait up to an hour or more in the waiting room
It was extremely hard to get an appointment that worked with my work schedule. The office was very business like. No one knew your name at the front desk and I would wait anywhere from 1 to 2 hours in the waiting room for my appointment because the doctor was always running late. Dr Herslag did not give me all the information. He would pass me off onto a nurse to give me info. I felt like he was indifferent and cold
We never got that far for real treatments. I saw him about 4 times maybe 5. I did genetic testing blood work with them and the lab list my records after weeks of me calling to find out the results. They even had to take more blood to finish some of the genetic testings. And the lab they sent the blood work to billed my via email and I didn't know it wasn't covered as part of the office visit copay. He also sent me to the hospital to do that test to make sure the Fallopian tubes were clear. And I went to an outside lab for a 3 hour glucose blood work test. After all these testings he wanted to start immediately with IVF but I wanted to try IUI first. He said fine but he won't do more than 2 or 3 IUI treatments. I just didn't feel comfortable at all with him.
It was odd. The nursing staff always seemed busy and running around. They would give me printed paperwork with information rather than sit down and talk to me
Scheduling appointments were terrible. They were never accommodating to your schedule and it didn't matter what appointment time you got you were always waiting a long time before going in. Twice their credit card machine was down and payments wouldn't go through so instead of billing you, they wanted you to call their financial department to arrange payments. It really seemed like every department worked separately
I pretty much had the insurance copay only. I never did an IUI or IVF treatment with dr Herslag's office but it would have been out of pocket expense for me because insurance wasn't covering it
The big thing for me was the genetic lab work. They lost my results and it took them over a month to figure out that the lab requested more blood to finish running tests so I had to go back and give blood. Then this lab billed me through personal email which I don't check often. They never sent a bill in the mail or called. Only sent an email. I didn't even know this lab work wasn't covered under the copay at the doctors office. The doctors office itself was really bad with giving information especially if you were new to all of this. I left confused and unsure of what was happening or what I was supposed to do next. It seemed rushed always when I was with the doctor and nurses.
Mineola

This doctor [Dr. Hershlag] was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.... He is extremely knowledgeable and consise. I think he could improve in the areas of empathy and support post disappointing news. I think he is a great doctor, I personally needed someone with more hand holding skills. It’s a trying time and you need to feel fully supported.... I had experienced 2 miscarriages and over a year of trying prior to seeking treatment for a fertility clinic. We began with Mutilple tests for my husband and I, followed by IUI’s. We suffered two more miscarriages and are now beginning IVF.
The staff [Northwell Health] is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.... The nursing staff is amazing. They always took the time to sit with me and further explain any information we didn’t understand after meeting with the doctors. They’re at times hard to initially contact via phone, but promptly return phone calls the same day.... One time my progesterone prescription was not promptly called in. However this was additionally an insurance issue.
Ask lots of questions.
The clinic is great and I’m continuing my tx there. However I do believe working in this field for many years, staff becomes desensitized to the emotional toll infertility and loss has on humans and couples. This doctor was honest but blunt. He tended to walk away after delivering heart breaking news.
The staff is professional and always friendly. It’s the little things that help you through this journey, from the receptionist just remembering your first name when checking in m, to a nurse taking the time to console you.
Manhasset

Dr. Hershlag was candid about how he felt about my weight. We feel that he diminished the possible male factor infertility possibility. Multiple blood tests were done when i first became a patient, but during treatment, no further tests to find the cause of infertility were performed.... We have done 6 IUIs. First was 100mg clomid and trigger (chemical) next two were 150mg clomid and ovidrel. I expressed a *maybe* concern with my luteal phase and he added crinone for the next 3. One more round of clomid/ovidrel/crinone. Switched to femara 2x a day with trigger and crinone for 2 rounds which resulted in chemicals. I am not sure why the amounts or medicines were decided on, he mentioned PCOS a few times and if i said "oh is that what youve diagnosed me with" he always said no.
Dr. Hershlag [at North Shore Long Island] was candid about how he felt about my weight. We feel that he diminished the possible male factor infertility possibility. Multiple blood tests were done when i first became a patient, but during treatment, no further tests to find the cause of infertility were performed.... We have done 6 IUIs. First was 100mg clomid and trigger (chemical) next two were 150mg clomid and ovidrel. I expressed a *maybe* concern with my luteal phase and he added crinone for the next 3. One more round of clomid/ovidrel/crinone. Switched to femara 2x a day with trigger and crinone for 2 rounds which resulted in chemicals. I am not sure why the amounts or medicines were decided on, he mentioned PCOS a few times and if i said "oh is that what youve diagnosed me with" he always said no.
Dr. Hershlag was candid about how he felt about my weight. We feel that he dinished the possible male factor infertility possibility. Multiple blood tests were done when i first became a patient, but during treatment, no further tests to find the cause of infertility were performed.
I guess be more proactive in advocating for yourself
At times he seemed caring and interested, while others it was just lets get this done. Our expressed concern with the lack of diagnoses seems to be ignored.
Front desk is very nice and accomodating. Billing is always willing to help. Office is clean
Iui out of pocket is 350. Most regular visits are covered under my copay. Not sure about IVF/ICSI yet, but my insurance does not cover it.
A nurse instructed me to start a medicine before a chemical pregnancy level went down to non pregnant state, medicines were called into wrong pharmacies