6.3

310-286-2800
10 Congress Street
Pasadena, CA 91105
626-744-3288

He [Dr. Bayrak] would not offer education on the medications and treatment, but would answer questions thoroughly when asked. Despite our attempts to consider male factor, he dismissed it due to my age. We later learned with our second doctor that it is male factor. His bedside manner is somewhat sensitive and I believe he does care for his patients. He just always appears to be in a rush and seems to need either another doctor or to cut back his patient load...The doctor was almost always backing out the door like he was late for his next patient while my husband and I were trying to ask questions...
I don’t feel like anyone in this office [LA IVF] handled our case well. If we didn’t ask, we weren’t going to know. We were very new to this and didn’t know what to ask most of the time. Having now seen an excellent doctor and clinic and knowing now how things should have gone, I’m amazed I made it out safely. Just considering the egg retrieval alone (both times), no one called or followed up the next day to make sure I was ok. No one called the day before to make sure I knew what to expect. A lot of waiting and wondering is what we did. I feel like all we did was waste valuable time and money at this clinic.
How was your experience with Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
Dr. Bayrak uses a cookie cutter approach to his patients, or at least to me. He chose a protocol from the start and stuck with it without considering adjustments along the way to go with my body’s response. He was afraid of one egg being too big and not being viable, so abandoned several other opportunities for other eggs to catch up. I believe I had poor results because of his lack of finesse and hurried approach. He would not offer education on the medications and treatment, but would answer questions thoroughly when asked. Despite our attempts to consider male factor, he dismissed it due to my age. We later learned with our second doctor that it is male factor. His bedside manner is somewhat sensitive and I believe he does care for his patients. He just always appears to be in a rush and seems to need either another doctor or to cut back his patient load.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
Be your own advocate. If the doctor says one thing and the nurse says another, question it and make sure the nurse double checks with the doctor. I was given incorrect instructions more than once.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
I was given results, even devastating results, by email. Several times my appointments were changed at the last minute, even the same appointment multiple times, even though I was working full time and had to make arrangements with my job. The doctor was almost always backing out the door like he was late for his next patient while my husband and I were trying to ask questions.
Describe the protocols Aykut Bayrak used in your cycles at LA IVF and their degree of success.
I did two cycles of IVF. The first cycle he started me on lupron injections and birth control. The second only birth control. He told us this was to help the smaller follicles catch up to the bigger one. We then used Gonal-F and Menopur for a short period. Each cycle, only 2 eggs were retrieved although I had seven follicles with the first cycle. I learned with my second doctor that birth control and lupron are the wrong choices for someone with low AMH since it only suppresses the follicle production. The second doctor got 9 mature eggs. Ultrasound monitoring was very minimal and almost no blood tests during the cycles. He just picked a date for the retrieval and went with it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at LA IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cervantes)
I can’t say enough to describe how terrible it was to work with Amy. She made an already difficult situation even more unbearable. I would get instructions from the doctor, then she would tell me something else. When I would ask for clarification, she would act annoyed, but eventually double check with the doctor and give me updated information. She was never available to speak when I called, but would email me back instead, sometimes while I was leaving a voicemail. All news was given via email. She would give devastating news over email. Absolutely terrible. She emailed me to tell me our embryo did not make it to day 5, said she was available if we had questions, then did not answer the phone five minutes later. I sent 2 emails after that and she never responded. I have not heard from her since that email. She would not send instructions when promised. She was always very short with us, sighed a lot, always seemed put out and annoyed, and overall very rude. It caused me so much anxiety knowing she was the only point person to contact. The day of my egg retrieval, I was in the operating room and she was prepping something while speaking to another person in Spanish (I don’t speak Spanish) and laughing while I was clearly anxious. She did not take time to tell me what was going on or what to expect. It was terrifying. Amy does not belong in healthcare, especially in such a sensitive environment.
Describe your experience with LA IVF.
They all seem annoyed with patients. No one is outwardly helpful or friendly. No one really smiles in this office. Follow-up is not done, except with several phone calls and reminders. The billing person, Linda, saw us once or twice in the beginning, then we never saw or heard from her again. She stopped answering emails and was never available to speak on the phone. Stacey was the most helpful person and the most compassionate. After our second failed cycle she seemed genuinely sorry and hugged me. I don’t know anyone else’s name. No one introduced themself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF.
Dr Bayrak offers “packages”. You pay for everything up front. Even if you don’t make it that far, you’ve paid for it. You get a better “deal” if you pay for two or more cycles up front. It’s like he is planning to fail before he starts.
Describe Aykut Bayrak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at LA IVF.
We had no embryos to transfer, but I believe Dr Bayrak only transfers a single embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at LA IVF.
I don’t feel like anyone in this office handled our case well. If we didn’t ask, we weren’t going to know. We were very new to this and didn’t know what to ask most of the time. Having now seen an excellent doctor and clinic and knowing now how things should have gone, I’m amazed I made it out safely. Just considering the egg retrieval alone (both times), no one called or followed up the next day to make sure I was ok. No one called the day before to make sure I knew what to expect. A lot of waiting and wondering is what we did. I feel like all we did was waste valuable time and money at this clinic.
Pasadena

I was given the option to see the doctor roughly every other visit. I felt that during treatment, questions were answered with appropriate attention. ... My one piece of advice for a prospective patient of Dr. Bayrak is to absolutely not freeze your eggs there [LA IVF], because of what happened to me and the lack of appropriate remedy or honesty.
When I returned to thaw and fertilize my eggs, first, the embryologist [LA IVF] did not have all of the supplies necessary to do the thaw. Next, I was informed that only 2 of 7 eggs survived the thaw and that of the two that fertilized, they failed to progress or develop. I was not communicated with directly and had to call and insist on complete information at the end of the incubation period.
How was your experience with Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
My caution with this office is my perception of the quality of egg freezing and thawing specifically. I froze 7 mature eggs with LA IVF and decided six months later that I wanted to produce embryos with donor sperm. When I returned to thaw and fertilize my eggs, first, the embryologist did not have all of the supplies necessary to do the thaw. Next, I was informed that only 2 of 7 eggs survived the thaw and that of the two that fertilized, they failed to progress or develop. I was not communicated with directly and had to call and insist on complete information at the end of the incubation period. When I made the assertion that perhaps there was a flaw in their freeze/thaw procedure given that this was an unusually high failure rate for thawing, I was told that I had poor egg quality (the first time this was ever said). I do not have poor egg quality. In subsequent rounds (one year later at age 41) with another doctor (who I much preferred), I produced day 5 and day 3 embryos with mature eggs with no problem and all of my eggs fertilized. Because of the results, I felt like LA IVF clinic was dishonest about their egg thawing experience. Further, when I asked for a refund or a replacement cycle, I was told that they would offer a "discount" if I chose to return to them, but was refused a refund or a complimentary replacement cycle. Atrocious treatment from my perspective and I would not counsel anyone that I cared about to go there for any cycle.
My one piece of advice for a prospective patient of Dr. Bayrak is to absolutely not freeze your eggs there, because of what happened to me and the lack of appropriate remedy or honesty. I cannot speak to IVF or other procedures, as I did not return to this clinic after the failed thaw of my eggs and would never return for any procedure under any circumstances.
The clinic was relatively small, like a doctor's office, and I was given the option to see the doctor roughly every other visit. I felt that during treatment, questions were answered with appropriate attention.
I was placed on a Follistim regimen (approx ~2200 total IU) of a daily shot plus Menopur after CD 7 or 8 (approx ~375 total IU). My trigger was HCG and Cetrotide was used at the very end prior to retreival.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at LA IVF.
The nursing staff were compassionate and good to work with.
Describe your experience with LA IVF.
I had a relatively seamless experience of stimulation for egg freezing and an uneventful retrieval. Where this clinic failed miserably was in thawing my eggs, retrieved just after my 40th birthday. These were the only eggs that I had frozen. Six months later, I returned with donor sperm to have the eggs thawed and fertilized. Subsequently, when all but 2 eggs disintegrated in the thaw procedure, they failed to communicate transparently and appropriately about the failure of the thaw procedure. They also failed to offer any type of fair remedy (i.e., a refund or at minimum a complimentary cycle). And refused my request for a refund or a complimentary replacement cycle to replace my banked eggs. They also refused to refund any portion of the money that I paid for the thaw/transfer cycle that resulted in no viable thawed eggs. Instead, they blamed their failure on my egg quality. Ironically, a year later, in a mini-IVF cycle, I produced 8 mature eggs of which, 7 fertilized. I have been subsequently told by another doctor that my egg quality is good.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at LA IVF.
Montioring appointments were comfortable experiences. The nursing staff were very nice and the doctor would usually perform my ultrasound himself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF.
I believe I paid between $8000 - $9000 for egg freezing and somewhere around $2000 for the failed thaw, fertilization, incubation and transfer cycle. No refund was provided for the failed cycle. And no financial accommodations were made to address the financial burden of the complete loss of my only banked eggs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at LA IVF.
I described the failure of this clinic at length in previous answers.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
The doctor [Dr. Bayrak] will rarely see you and all information is conveyed through medical assistants. He does not employ actual nurses...The staff is disgruntled and the overall atmosphere is negative. There is a lot of staff turn over. Absolutely no personalized care, you will only receive cookie cutter treatment. we have since switched to a new RE and the difference is night and day...
The reception staff [at LA IVF - LA] is very rude, and downright mean. The clinic is disorganized and the doctor is stretched too thin. He doesn't care about the patients. Definitely felt like I was part of a money making machine for the doctor...They are very bad about calling with results. They don't call when they promise to call. I had to ask them several times to call in prescriptions. I had to track down the medical assistants to get any information. They were only good about communicating when it came time to pay the bill...
How was your experience with Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
It felt like he left many decisions to his medical assistants (not nurses). He does not care about the patients and sees us only as dollar signs. I did not feel like he thought about various ways to treat me, but only used the same protocol over and over even after we had bad results. We were locked in to three cycles with him which we pre-paid (and no refunds are permitted). We otherwise would have changed clinics after the first cycle. His office gave us the run around in terms of scheduling procedures which resulted in delays over a month. The delays were due to his schedule because he is the only doctor for three clinics. He is stretched way too thin. He batches his patients so that your egg retrieval will take place when it works for his schedule and not necessarily when your body is ready.
Please stay away.
The doctor will rarely see you and all information is conveyed through medical assistants. He does not employ actual nurses. The doctor only cares about making a profit off of the patients and treated us like a commodity. The care is cold and the emphasis on making payment. The staff is disgruntled and the overall atmosphere is negative. There is a lot of staff turn over. Absolutely no personalized care, you will only receive cookie cutter treatment. we have since switched to a new RE and the difference is night and day.
Bad results for all three cycles. He did not appear to have a rational for the protocol he used other than it was convenient. We started with long lupron for my first cycle which resulted in zero embryos. He said he would switch protocols for my second cycle, but when I received my injection calendar it was exactly the same. All contact was through his medical assistants so when I spoke with her she told me she just copy and pasted my last protocol. His only strategy appears to be making his patients' cycles fit his schedule. He is one doctor across three locations. He does all inseminations and retrievals over one weekend a month. It's impossible that all his patients would be ready on that one day.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at LA IVF.
There is no nursing staff. This clinic only employs medical assistants. They are over worked and disgruntled. They do not communicate well. For example, my first cycle resulted in zero embryos. The medical assistant called and told me we got nothing. That's it. It was devastating news made worse by the cold way it was communicated. A second example: we did two freeze all cycles which resulted in zero normal embryos. This meant we had nothing to transfer after three cycles. Again, the news was very coldly communicated by a medical assistant. They are under-trained and over worked and clearly hate their job. I did not feel they were qualified for the work they were made to do.
Describe your experience with LA IVF.
Zero strengths. The reception staff is very rude, and downright mean. The clinic is disorganized and the doctor is stretched too thin. He doesn't care about the patients. Definitely felt like I was part of a money making machine for the doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF.
$30k+ for three cycles (excluding medicine, anesthesia, and surgery center costs)

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Bayrak decided because I have PCOS he would prescribe me a "baby dose" of medication. This resulted in fewer eggs for retrieval, and most of those that were retrieved were not mature....After our cycle failed, he wanted to try again and do a cycle with half donor sperm and half my husband's sperm. He thought this would narrow down who had issues with quality (either my eggs or his sperm). He made IVF seem like a guessing game instead of a science. Our experience with him felt very impersonal. He talked in a lot of generalities and never seemed to see us as people or our case as unique. When asking questions, we received canned responses or answers, sometimes which were irrelevant to our case. He explained the process of IVF minimally.
The staff at Dr. Bayrak's office is cold and lacking empathy. They are continually seeking to expand their practice with three locations. It feels more like a business than a doctor's office. They reported all our information to us late or incorrectly. The waits at the office were longer than reasonable (frequently 45+ minutes after the appointment time before even being seen)...Sylvia reported our cycle incorrectly. At the end of our cycle, she said we had more embryos than we really did. Later, we were told she made a mistake. This was a difficult thing for us to reconcile.
How was your experience with Aykut Bayrak at LA IVF?
For starters, we received a lecture about the way babies are made with our initial consult, it seemed rather misplaced in a fertility clinic setting. Dr. Bayrak was unable to diagnose the cause of our infertility, so he referred us to a specialist for a diagnosis. Dr. Bayrak prescribed an insufficient dosage of medication to me, as someone with PCOS. He feared hyperstimulation, but overcompensated by making doses too small. This resulted in lots of immature eggs, which ultimately caused our cycle to fail. Dr. Bayrak acted like we were a science experiment. After our cycle failed, he wanted to try again and do a cycle with half donor sperm and half my husband's sperm. He thought this would narrow down who had issues with quality (either my eggs or his sperm). He made IVF seem like a guessing game instead of a science. Our experience with him felt very impersonal. He talked in a lot of generalities and never seemed to see us as people or our case as unique. When asking questions, we received canned responses or answers, sometimes which were irrelevant to our case. He explained the process of IVF minimally. We had to research most of our questions on the internet, and did not feel he had adequate time to spend with us.
Go somewhere else!
Describe your experience with your nurse at LA IVF. (Assigned nurse: Sylvia)
Describe your experience with LA IVF.
Strengths: always seen by the same doctor. Weaknesses: staff is unempathetic, overworked, and too busy to handle patient flow. Clinic itself feels small and lacking in cleanliness.
Dr. Bayrak prefers eSET, but he was only able to get us one embryo so it didn't make a difference in our case.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at LA IVF.
We often had to remind the nursing staff to tell us of our dosages, results, and changed in protocol. They often forgot to follow up with us. We also had to remind them to send in prescriptions for us. Worst of all, they misreported our cycle results. It was devastating.