Shady Grove Fertility

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolDuke
ResidencyDuke
FellowshipDuke
5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Barbara Osborn to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
She [Dr. Osborn] answers every question, is thorough, patient and realistic in explaining all of the data. I also found her follow-up after retrieval to meet that same exceptional care. She stood out from other doctors I saw for my daily monitoring-- leagues above...I found her care and compassion to be top notch. ...I would recommend going to Sibley for your screenings so you have a chance to interact with Dr. Osborn more frequently....I was pretty run of the mill in terms of treatment course.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osborn was recommended to me from a friend doing IVF. I was not in the same situation as a patient, but I found her care and compassion to be top notch. This is such an emotional process and so expensive-- it is imperative to have a doctor who you can trust, who is there to answer all your questions, and who can provide the kind and supportive bedside manner one absolutely requires in the fertility treatment experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend going to Sibley for your screenings so you have a chance to interact with Dr. Osborn more frequently. I chose to go to a closer Shady Grove center, which I would have done differently in hindsight. I would also make sure you ask to have Dr. Osborn do your retrieval procedure if possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osborn is painstaking with her patients. She answers every question, is thorough, patient and realistic in explaining all of the data. I also found her follow-up after retrieval to meet that same exceptional care. She stood out from other doctors I saw for my daily monitoring-- leagues above.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was pretty run of the mill in terms of treatment course. The medicines and dosages were pretty par for the course of friends of mine who have gone through retrieval for IVF. I was happy to see i responded well to the medicines and would up using a sub-cutaneous trigger shot. I wound up having my retrieval a few days earlier than expected, too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Vanessa was newer at the time, which I did not know. I had a very bad experience with a different doctor at the Arlington office, and had called to say I never wanted to be screened by her again. I asked at the time to be assured said doctor would not be doing my retrieval, which the nurse said wouldn't happen. Of course, come morning of my retrieval, the Arlington doctor was my surgeon. I later found out that my concerns and my notes on this other doctor were not expressed to Dr. Osborn. I needed to be more assertive and insistent with my nurse. Lesson learned for any future situations. But beyond that one hiccup, the nurse was responsive to my myriad questions and always kind and supportive.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove runs a tight ship with some of the nicest nurses and physicians. The vast majority are thorough, kind and compassionate-- they know the specialty they are in, and take that very seriously and with care.
I chose to go to a clinic for monitoring closer to my house. Scheduling was easy and on the weekend, it was no problem getting into the K Street clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
The cost options and plans were clearly laid out and discussed with me anytime I had questions. I did not have insurance coverage so I paid directly and was able to handle payment in one installment.
Sibley
Very good listener. Friendly and warm bedside manner. Super flexible in scheduling me around other constraints. Good communicator - provided easy to understand explanations and was super responsive. Following my miscarriage from a naturally conceived pregnancy, she was able to get on the phone with my ob and have the tissue tested the same day without much notice. She was super easy to work with and I'll go back to see her again when we're ready for baby #3.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
With Shady Grove's system, you can go anywhere for monitoring (which is awesome in terms of the flexibility it enables). That said, I'd try to see Dr. Osborn as much as you can which will help you build a relationship with her and get instant answers to questions and next steps.
Very friendly bedside manner. Took account of my baseline knowledge and provided the right level of detail into all explanations. She listened to me and took into account my perspective which informed how we proceeded. She set reasonable expectations at the outset and met or exceeded all of them.
I responded very well to an antagonist protocol which is what we used for both of my retrieval cycles with good success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: She's no longer at Shady Grove)
Overall, I thought everyone I saw across multiple offices was very supportive and professional. They know how to recruit high quality nurses and staff.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
While SG is a high volume practice, I never felt that compromised the care I received. I think their state of the art facilities, the quality of the staff they hire and their success rate are all reasons to use Shady Grove. They were preferred provider for 2 separate insurances I used for treatment given that they are 1 of only 2 local practices to have received a clinical standard of excellence designation.
I always scheduled for 1st thing in the morning and was almost always in and out for monitoring and other appointments in under 15 mins.
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We did PGS so we knew what we were putting back. Given that, Dr. Osborn only recommended transferring a single embryo which is what we wanted. No difference there in opinions on best way to proceed.
2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Osborn is a very good doctor and one of the best in this field. I think that personality-wise, she might be a bit shy and is respectful of your privacy so she is not as nosy about your preferences as other REs might be. But you just need to be very well informed and go into your appointments with her with a lot of questions because she is patient and will answer every last one of them honestly and truthfully. She is forthcoming about why Shady Grove recommends some things (for business/cost reasons vs. strictly medical outcome reasons).
2013 - 2017
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure you are well informed, read the latest findings and studies (i.e., about Ubiquinol/CoQ10 studies) and ask about their applicability to your situation. Shady Grove is a busy practice and Dr. Osborn is not going to spend time with you providing endless amounts of information if she does not think you are interested. But if you ask her specific questions about the latest research, about your situation, etc., she will take the time to answer honestly and thoroughly.
Dr. Osborn has a calm bedside manner and is not particularly chatty. But she was empathetic, listened carefully, and took time to answer all of my questions. She was also available for phone discussions outside of scheduled appointments. Shady Grove has many locations and a lot of staff but I always felt it was key to have a very good nurse coordinator and to schedule as many appointments in the Sibley office as possible so that you build rapport with the staff in that office. The Sibley office is smaller but it is more boutique like than the other locations so the staff does get to know you.
4 fresh IVF cycles with own oocytes, ICSI and assisted hatching. After a failed cycle, Dr. Osborn adjusted the medications and protocol to encourage more eggs to be developed for retrieval. Adjustment in medications led to successful outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cerone)
My nurse coordinator was essential to the success of my treatments. She was organized and communicated with me via phone or email daily or multiple times a day during a cycle. Without her organization and attention to detail, I would have messed things up for myself.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is like Starbucks. But the multiple locations, range of hours for monitoring, and fact that they provided dedicated financial advisors, and on site acupuncture made the process much better than most medical experiences. We also considered going with GW, and the doctors are great there and always gave great insight into our issues, but the staffing and locations were just more limited than what is available thru Shady Grove.
With insurance, IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching was $3500 out of pocket. Medications were approx. $500. After employer dropped IVF coverage from health insurance, IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching was $10,500 and medications were approx. $4,000.
Dr. Osborn actually recommended multiple embryo transfer because of my age but I requested eSET twice because that was what I wanted. On one cycle, where the embryo transfer was not a 5-day blastocyst but 5-day morulas, I agreed with multiple embryo transfer recommendation.
2011 - 2012
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr Osborn] did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
2011 - 2012
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a very knowledgeable doctor. I would describe her as clinical; meaning that she knows a lot but is always thinking about the medical side of things. I did not really feel like I could talk with her about the emotional part of the IVF process. I also didn't feel like I could ask questions about my treatment outside of any appointments we had. She did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
Be assertive during your appointments with her and ask a lot of questions then, because I felt she was hard to talk with otherwise.
She was a good but impersonal doctor. She definitely explained the process fully, but I didn't see her except when there was something major to discuss (like a negative pregnancy test.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was a great nurse - she was extremely attentive and communicative during the process. She was very responsive to any emails I sent and answered all questions quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well-run. It's very organized. It is convenient - there are multiple locations, and I could go to different locations for blood draws or ultrasounds if a certain one was closer (i.e., if I was doing errands on a Saturday in Baltimore, I could go to a MD location and they'd do the work and have the results.) The waiting room is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
It was crowded but organized. There was a sign in sheet and then you were called from it. The waits were not too bad considering the number of people being treated. Everybody was very efficient. They were also nice but not overly chatty or personal. I could get some quick questions answered, but mostly they referred me to my nurse, who was excellent about answering anything, and doing it quickly.
Our insurance covered half of the care. We were told that our negotiated rate with our carrier (Kaiser) was the lowest of the insurance providers who covered fertility treatments. I think our costs were about $10k for the IVF with egg retrieval and about $5k for the second cycle of just the embryo transfer. This included all of my medication (purchase separately) and frozen embryo storage.
Washington DC
[Dr. Barbara Osborn] is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions...As a single woman I was nervous about judgment from the doctor and there was none of that. She takes the individual circumstance and recommends treatment based on that, without judgement. I only see or talk to Dr. Osborn periodically and most communication is with the nurses...Have a lot of questions prepared in advance. She is very patient about answering them but might not provide all the information YOU want unless you ask.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions.
As I am a single woman, without any known fertility issues, she started me with two unmedicated IUI cycles. These were unsuccessful so then we talked and I said I wanted to be more aggressive so the next cycle I went did Clomid, Follistim, trigger, and Progesterone. This was also unsuccessful but will try another cycle with the same protocol.
Vanessa is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a business and run like a business but I trust their success rates. There is not a lot of personalization but I have not pushed too much for that either. There are a lot of locations so my main office is near my home for the monitoring and blood work appointments but I go to a further office for the IUI's as that is where they store the donor sperm.
Unmedicated/unmonitored IUI was $295 Medicated IUI with monitoring, blood work, IUI is $1800 - not including medications
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Barbara Osborn] is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done...Ask whatever questions you have. It's difficult to get a hold of her and most other doctors at most clinics by phone. When they do call back, it could be when you're in a meeting or otherwise unavailable. Not many doctors will give out their direct phone number.
European, Latino
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done.
She has a good bedside manner.
I was on heavy doses to build up my uterine lining. I was on injectible lovenox as a blood thinner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye Russell)
In general, most nurses at shady grove were pressed for time, didn't like to answer questions, were not authorized to answer certain questions and weren't compassionate in my opinion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I rate the Nursing staff low. I rate dr Osborn high because of her bedside manner and interest in answering questions. I rate the administrative staff very low. Some are nasty. Most are unfriendly. You have to advocate for what you want/need and sometimes demand it from the administrative staff. In my case, I had to hold Shady Grove accountable for their responsibility in a contract and they were trying not to do it.
About $50,000
One problem I had with shady grove is that they would only do eSet and frowned upon double embryo transfers. I'm not sure if I would have been successful by doing double transfers.
Washington DC
I found her [Dr. Osborn] to be very warm and caring. We wanted a lot of detail and she was happy to provide it. She had an analysis of our results and expected outcome using different treatments. We were going to go forward with IVF with her...She's very warm in individual meetings....Very research / evidence based. Some people don't like that they won't deviate from protocols but from my perspective there's a reason those protocols exists
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I found her to be very warm and caring. We wanted a lot of detail and she was happy to provide it. She had an analysis of our results and expected outcome using different treatments. We were going to go forward with IVF with her but ended up with a spontaneous pregnancy before we shifted to IVF.
She's very warm in individual meetings.
3 rounds of IUI with no success, spontaneous twin pregnancy ending in miscarriage. Decision to move on to IVF but had another spontaneous pregnancy prior to starting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Myasia)
Myasia is very friendly and makes you very comfortable
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very research / evidence based. Some people don't like that they won't deviate from protocols but from my perspective there's a reason those protocols exists and I appreciate their adherence to evidence based medicine.
My insurance covered everything so no comments other than having several billing errors that were cleared up with a phone call.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Surrogacy
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She [Dr Osborn] was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online...Ask lots of questions. Ask her to tell you the numbers. I had to ask a few times to get to the bottom of it - I asked "Based on my numbers, what is the estimated number of cycles it will take to get to a live birth?" Then her answer was 2.6
2012 - 2013
IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online..
Shady Grove is a factory. Good results, but I only saw Dr. Osborn 3 times the whole time I was there
300 Gonal-f, 225 Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Linda Hocker)
I needed to get 1 extra vial for an extra day of meds but could not get it from the pharmacy downstairs and Linda was able to call the office and get me one
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Multiple locations, convenient, runs like a well oiled machine, but also feels like an assembly line
I actually signed up for shared risk program where you pay 2.5 times the cost of one cycle, with money returned if there was no live birth after 6 cycles.
2010 - 2012
Male Factor, Other
Dr. Osborn met with us to understand who we are, our background, etc. She met with us again to review genetics study tesults and explain everthing. She came in to see me during most of my visits, and she followed up after my daughter was born....She took time to get to know my husband and me....I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF....hey know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology.
2010 - 2012
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Use her!!! She is terrific!
She took time to get to know my husband and me.
I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is THE place to go! They know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology. I went to clinics in DC, VA, MD and PA depending on my travel schedule.