4.7

5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720

2019, 20 Eggs Frozen
I couldn't get a straight answer from her [Dr. Barbara Osborn] about nutrition/supplements to before/during egg freezing. Overall I sometimes felt like I was talking to a customer service or sales rep instead of a doctor - she just was unable to be personable...bedside manner isn't great, but it's not the worst I've ever seen...Doctor expected ~13 eggs per cycle, of which ~9 would be mature. First cycle was way less successful than expected, so they used the same protocol but increased the dosage significantly.
There were some issues with communication [at Shady Grove Fertility], and one very serious error where Rachel had a trainee nurse call me, and she gave me the wrong instructions for medication changes that night. Luckily I had to contact Rachel for something else that day and I was able to catch the error, but if I hadn't, I likely would have lost that entire cycle...$12,500 for an egg freezing cycle: 20 mature eggs or 4 cycles, whichever came first. For 3 cycle, I paid the pharmacy ~$15K. SGF also tried to bill me for blood tests and a consultation with the doctor in between cycles. I was nickel and dimed.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osborne's bedside manner isn't great, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. Fertility clinics seem to be extremely nervous about getting a patient's hopes up, which means they are so neutral that they veer into actually withholding information, and being obtuse. I found Dr. Osborne to be this way. For example, I couldn't get a straight answer from her about nutrition/supplements to before/during egg freezing. Overall I sometimes felt like I was talking to a customer service or sales rep instead of a doctor - she just was unable to be personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Come prepared with all your questions, and don't be afraid to press further if you don't get a full answer to a question, or one that you understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove as a whole is too large and the way they are set up means less personalized care. Communication should have been better, and errors on the part of the nursing staff would have been less likely with a smaller practice. The financial department has no idea what they are doing and I spend several thousand more than I needed to due to their lack of attention and individual care. SGF is a for-profit business and it shows.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Age: 38, AFC: 18, AMH: 1.58. Doctor expected ~13 eggs per cycle, of which ~9 would be mature. First cycle was way less successful than expected, so they used the same protocol but increased the dosage significantly. Then 3rd cycle they used a different protocol. First 2 cycles: birth control, then antagonist protocol (Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Leuprolide trigger). 3rd cycle, no birth control, estrogen priming instead, then same antagonist protocol, except HCG instead of Leuprolide trigger. 1st cycle: 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature 2nd cycle: 12 eggs retrieved, 8 mature 3rd cycle: 14 eggs retrieved, 9 mature
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Lab)
Overall my nurses were good. I was however disappointed when my primary nurse was promoted to another location and I was abruptly switched to a new nurse with no transition period or explanation beyond, "you're transitioning to a new nurse today." There were some issues with communication, and one very serious error where Rachel had a trainee nurse call me, and she gave me the wrong instructions for medication changes that night. Luckily I had to contact Rachel for something else that day and I was able to catch the error, but if I hadn't, I likely would have lost that entire cycle. I was shocked at how dismissive and non-apologetic Rachel was about the error.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is waaaaaay too big, and people are treated like a number. Read your contract VERY carefully and make sure you understand exactly what is and is not covered. If they ask you to do an additional test or appointment, make sure you check to see if it is included, otherwise you will be stuck with an extra bill. The financial department is also a complete mess. They couldn't have cared less about my questions and they were unresponsive, and sullen on the phone. They didn't do a good job of figuring out my insurance coverage, and I had to make a number of additional calls to my insurer to make sure everything was correct. They also advised me to not bother to check the prices of medications with other pharmacies, since they had a deal with a specific pharmacy. After I had already bought the drugs, I talked to other SGF women who had found drugs from lots of different pharmacies for cheaper. My nurse also did a terrible job of helping me to order the exact right amount of medications for my last cycle, which means I have unusable drugs in my fridge now. They let you donate them back to the clinic, but you can't return them, which is ridiculous. I felt really manipulated and take advantage of by the end of my care at SGF. The care I received from monitoring nurses and retrieval staff was excellent, however.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Sibley

2011 - 2012, Unknown Success
She [Dr Osborn] did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
The waiting room [at Shady Grove on K Street] is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a very knowledgeable doctor. I would describe her as clinical; meaning that she knows a lot but is always thinking about the medical side of things. I did not really feel like I could talk with her about the emotional part of the IVF process. I also didn't feel like I could ask questions about my treatment outside of any appointments we had. She did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
Be assertive during your appointments with her and ask a lot of questions then, because I felt she was hard to talk with otherwise.
She was a good but impersonal doctor. She definitely explained the process fully, but I didn't see her except when there was something major to discuss (like a negative pregnancy test.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was a great nurse - she was extremely attentive and communicative during the process. She was very responsive to any emails I sent and answered all questions quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well-run. It's very organized. It is convenient - there are multiple locations, and I could go to different locations for blood draws or ultrasounds if a certain one was closer (i.e., if I was doing errands on a Saturday in Baltimore, I could go to a MD location and they'd do the work and have the results.) The waiting room is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
It was crowded but organized. There was a sign in sheet and then you were called from it. The waits were not too bad considering the number of people being treated. Everybody was very efficient. They were also nice but not overly chatty or personal. I could get some quick questions answered, but mostly they referred me to my nurse, who was excellent about answering anything, and doing it quickly.
Our insurance covered half of the care. We were told that our negotiated rate with our carrier (Kaiser) was the lowest of the insurance providers who covered fertility treatments. I think our costs were about $10k for the IVF with egg retrieval and about $5k for the second cycle of just the embryo transfer. This included all of my medication (purchase separately) and frozen embryo storage.
Washington DC
2012 - 2013, Successful
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She [Dr Osborn] was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online...Ask lots of questions. Ask her to tell you the numbers. I had to ask a few times to get to the bottom of it - I asked "Based on my numbers, what is the estimated number of cycles it will take to get to a live birth?" Then her answer was 2.6
Shady Grove is a factory. Good results, but I only saw Dr. Osborn 3 times the whole time I was there...Multiple locations, convenient, runs like a well oiled machine, but also feels like an assembly line...I actually signed up for shared risk program where you pay 2.5 times the cost of one cycle, with money returned if there was no live birth after 6 cycles.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online..
300 Gonal-f, 225 Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Linda Hocker)
I needed to get 1 extra vial for an extra day of meds but could not get it from the pharmacy downstairs and Linda was able to call the office and get me one
Washington DC