4.7

Barbara Osborn works at

5215 Loughboro Road, NW, Ste. 410
Washington, DC 20016
202.677.4720

[Dr. Barbara Osborn] is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions...As a single woman I was nervous about judgment from the doctor and there was none of that. She takes the individual circumstance and recommends treatment based on that, without judgement. I only see or talk to Dr. Osborn periodically and most communication is with the nurses...Have a lot of questions prepared in advance. She is very patient about answering them but might not provide all the information YOU want unless you ask.
Vanessa [nurse at Shady Grove] is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours)...There was just one instance where one nurse called and gave me instructions and then an hour later another nurse called and said they talked to another doctor and changed the protocol. I am happy there was more than one doctor involved (my doc was on vacation) but it was confusing and made me question the process a little.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
As I am a single woman, without any known fertility issues, she started me with two unmedicated IUI cycles. These were unsuccessful so then we talked and I said I wanted to be more aggressive so the next cycle I went did Clomid, Follistim, trigger, and Progesterone. This was also unsuccessful but will try another cycle with the same protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Vanessa is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a business and run like a business but I trust their success rates. There is not a lot of personalization but I have not pushed too much for that either. There are a lot of locations so my main office is near my home for the monitoring and blood work appointments but I go to a further office for the IUI's as that is where they store the donor sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
Unmedicated/unmonitored IUI was $295 Medicated IUI with monitoring, blood work, IUI is $1800 - not including medications
2013 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Osborn is a very good doctor and one of the best in this field. I think that personality-wise, she might be a bit shy and is respectful of your privacy so she is not as nosy about your preferences as other REs might be. But you just need to be very well informed and go into your appointments with her with a lot of questions because she is patient and will answer every last one of them honestly and truthfully. She is forthcoming about why Shady Grove recommends some things (for business/cost reasons vs. strictly medical outcome reasons).
Shady Grove is like Starbucks. But the multiple locations, range of hours for monitoring, and fact that they provided dedicated financial advisors, and on site acupuncture made the process much better than most medical experiences.... Shady Grove has many locations and a lot of staff but I always felt it was key to have a very good nurse coordinator and to schedule as many appointments in the Sibley office as possible so that you build rapport with the staff in that office. The Sibley office is smaller but it is more boutique like than the other locations so the staff does get to know you.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure you are well informed, read the latest findings and studies (i.e., about Ubiquinol/CoQ10 studies) and ask about their applicability to your situation. Shady Grove is a busy practice and Dr. Osborn is not going to spend time with you providing endless amounts of information if she does not think you are interested. But if you ask her specific questions about the latest research, about your situation, etc., she will take the time to answer honestly and thoroughly.
Dr. Osborn has a calm bedside manner and is not particularly chatty. But she was empathetic, listened carefully, and took time to answer all of my questions. She was also available for phone discussions outside of scheduled appointments. Shady Grove has many locations and a lot of staff but I always felt it was key to have a very good nurse coordinator and to schedule as many appointments in the Sibley office as possible so that you build rapport with the staff in that office. The Sibley office is smaller but it is more boutique like than the other locations so the staff does get to know you.
4 fresh IVF cycles with own oocytes, ICSI and assisted hatching. After a failed cycle, Dr. Osborn adjusted the medications and protocol to encourage more eggs to be developed for retrieval. Adjustment in medications led to successful outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cerone)
My nurse coordinator was essential to the success of my treatments. She was organized and communicated with me via phone or email daily or multiple times a day during a cycle. Without her organization and attention to detail, I would have messed things up for myself.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is like Starbucks. But the multiple locations, range of hours for monitoring, and fact that they provided dedicated financial advisors, and on site acupuncture made the process much better than most medical experiences. We also considered going with GW, and the doctors are great there and always gave great insight into our issues, but the staffing and locations were just more limited than what is available thru Shady Grove.
With insurance, IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching was $3500 out of pocket. Medications were approx. $500. After employer dropped IVF coverage from health insurance, IVF with ICSI and assisted hatching was $10,500 and medications were approx. $4,000.
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Osborn actually recommended multiple embryo transfer because of my age but I requested eSET twice because that was what I wanted. On one cycle, where the embryo transfer was not a 5-day blastocyst but 5-day morulas, I agreed with multiple embryo transfer recommendation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
During one embryo transfer, the RE doing the procedure informed me that one blastocyst would be available for transfer, and one would be frozen. I had asked for two embryos to be transferred if none could be frozen. But unfortunately, the RE had misinterpreted the grading on the embryo (a perfect blastocyst as she described it) that she said would be frozen and it was actually not good enough to withstand the rigors of freezing and discarded. But had I known that that blastocyst could not survive freezing, I would have decided to have that additional blastocyst implanted as well. This was tremendously upsetting. Dr. Osborn did investigate what happened and apologized for the RE's misunderstanding of the grading and said she spoke to the other RE about it and that they will improve procedures going forward.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Barbara Osborn] is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done...Ask whatever questions you have. It's difficult to get a hold of her and most other doctors at most clinics by phone. When they do call back, it could be when you're in a meeting or otherwise unavailable. Not many doctors will give out their direct phone number.
I rate the Nursing staff low. I rate dr Osborn high because of her bedside manner and interest in answering questions. I rate the administrative staff very low. Some are nasty. Most are unfriendly. You have to advocate for what you want/need and sometimes demand it from the administrative staff. In my case, I had to hold Shady Grove accountable for their responsibility in a contract and they were trying not to do it.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done.
She has a good bedside manner.
I was on heavy doses to build up my uterine lining. I was on injectible lovenox as a blood thinner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye Russell)
In general, most nurses at shady grove were pressed for time, didn't like to answer questions, were not authorized to answer certain questions and weren't compassionate in my opinion.
About $50,000
One problem I had with shady grove is that they would only do eSet and frowned upon double embryo transfers. I'm not sure if I would have been successful by doing double transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On several occasions, it was up to me to call in you find out test results.
Washington DC
I found her [Dr. Osborn] to be very warm and caring. We wanted a lot of detail and she was happy to provide it. She had an analysis of our results and expected outcome using different treatments. We were going to go forward with IVF with her...She's very warm in individual meetings....Very research / evidence based. Some people don't like that they won't deviate from protocols but from my perspective there's a reason those protocols exists
[Shady Grove] Very research / evidence based. Some people don't like that they won't deviate from protocols but from my perspective there's a reason those protocols exists and I appreciate their adherence to evidence based medicine...Myasia is very friendly and makes you very comfortable...My insurance covered everything so no comments other than having several billing errors that were cleared up with a phone call...
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I found her to be very warm and caring. We wanted a lot of detail and she was happy to provide it. She had an analysis of our results and expected outcome using different treatments. We were going to go forward with IVF with her but ended up with a spontaneous pregnancy before we shifted to IVF.
She's very warm in individual meetings.
3 rounds of IUI with no success, spontaneous twin pregnancy ending in miscarriage. Decision to move on to IVF but had another spontaneous pregnancy prior to starting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Myasia)
Myasia is very friendly and makes you very comfortable
2010 - 2013, Successful
They [Shady Grove Fertility] did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments...Wish she [Dr. Osborn] had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her...We planned an IUI. She watched and my eggs took a long time to grow so lots of extra FSH shots. We had success on our first try...always felt like to goal was to just have a baby .. not to find out why I couldn't get pregnant on my own
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Wish she had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her.
Ask why you can't get pregnant on your own... there are other medical issues from infertility
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments..............................
this was back in the day when insurance plans covered things.... I paid almost nothing
No nothing