5.7

South Portland, ME 04106
Rye
1245 Washington Road
Rye, NH 03870

We did a freeze all cycle [with Dr. Benjanmin Lannon] due to the risk of OHSS based on my AMH. I stimmed for 8 days, Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. My estrogen went sky high and it was recommended that I switch to Lupron trigger - however, at the time this was going to cost me an extra $700 so I pleaded to continue with Ovidrel trigger. (I did end up with OHSS). 24 retrieved, 19 fertilized = 6 embryos.
It's [Boston IVF- Maine] small so you will pretty much only work with your nurse and definitely only with your doctor. Because it's small, they do manage cycles to line up with their OR schedule. I wish there were more services available here like acupuncture, mental health, etc. I don't like working with the financial people - I feel like there should be more compassion in that process because it is VERY expensive. They've also raised their prices in the last year.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is kind, funny, and intelligent. He has responded to my questions nearly immediately which I appreciate. He has validated my feelings throughout the entire process and I truly believe he is committed to our success. I believe he works very hard as sometimes he would share results with us in the evening when I know he isn't at work. This was incredible as the waiting period for results is very stressful. I knew as soon as he had them, we'd have them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Don't be afraid to bring up what you've read/researched. You can really ask all questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon has taken the time to respond to all of my emails, calls, and in person questions/concerns. He was very validating after our first failed transfer and was open to hearing about what I want to explore as next steps but also gave me his expert opinion. The nurses have all been very nice.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Lannon used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
We did a freeze all cycle due to the risk of OHSS based on my AMH. I stimmed for 8 days, Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix. My estrogen went sky high and it was recommended that I switch to Lupron trigger - however, at the time this was going to cost me an extra $700 so I pleaded to continue with Ovidrel trigger. (I did end up with OHSS). 24 retrieved, 19 fertilized = 6 embryos. 4 came back normal (PGS testing) and one indeterminate. First frozen embryo transfer- estrogen patch and pills for three weeks then started endometrin suppositories for 5 days before transfer. Transferred failed unfortunately even though it was a high grade, PGS tested embryo. We are waiting to start a new cycle to transfer again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
I was assigned a nurse but would hear from other nurses often during the transfer cycle. That was fine since they're all nice. Our nurse is nice, professional, and returns calls quickly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It's small so you will pretty much only work with your nurse and definitely only with your doctor. Because it's small, they do manage cycles to line up with their OR schedule. I wish there were more services available here like acupuncture, mental health, etc. I don't like working with the financial people - I feel like there should be more compassion in that process because it is VERY expensive. They've also raised their prices in the last year.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF.
Consultation: $350 , Follow up appointment: $300 Freeze all cycle: $7,750, PGS testing: $3,850, Embryo storage for one year: $1,020, Frozen Embryo Transfer: $4,000. None of this includes medications or blood tests.
Describe Benjamin Lannon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
It was preferred to only transfer one due to high risks of a multiple pregnancy. We agreed so it hasn't been discussed again since.

2014 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Lannon was not only a part of my clomid/letrozole cycles, but he also performed a surgery to correct my septate uterus. The surgery was a great experience and I always knew what to expect and how to deal with it. During my medicated cycles, he treated my cycles as a priority even though we were doing simple hormone treatments. With each of my two miscarriages, he was there for comfort and to explain every detail possible. Every appointment has been a good experience.
Everyone at the clinic [Boston IVF- South Portland] is friendly and comforting at times of joy as well as during the hard times. They are prompt and timely at returning calls and emails. All of the paperwork and info has been sent via email prior to our appointments which makes it easier to review on our own time before talking about it in person.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Ask any questions you may have. No question is too simple and will always be answered.
Dr. Lannon made every effort to make me feel important during every cycle, even though it was simply a clomid or letrozole cycle with no other treatments. Even though I was not doing an IVF cycle, he still made my cycle a priority. I can’t wait to do our IVF cycle with him in a couple of weeks.
The first treatment I had was to correct my uterus. I had a laporoscopy and hysteroscopy to remove a septum in my uterus. After that was corrected, I did clomid cycles. The second cycle worked but ended in m/c at 8 weeks. The very next clomid cycle I did after my first m/c worked but also ended around 8 weeks. After doing a couple more clomid cycles, we switched to letrozole. After 3 letrozole cycles that didn’t work (and a couple years of a break from trying) we were advised to move onto an ivf cycle with pgs testing. We are starting injections for that this month and can’t wait to start the journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany Tifft)
Tiffany has been great at explaining all of the steps for our upcoming ivf cycle. She is also always prompt at responding to emails and calls, as is the rest of the staff.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone at the clinic is friendly and comforting at times of joy as well as during the hard times. They are prompt and timely at returning calls and emails. All of the paperwork and info has been sent via email prior to our appointments which makes it easier to review on our own time before talking about it in person.
I don’t remember exactly
We have not gotten to this point yet but we are very happy that he suggested that we test our embryos with pgs testing before we do a transfer to ensure we are transferring the healthiest and strongest embryos.
South Portland

We loved each and every experience we had with Dr. Lannon. If I were to give any constructive feedback I would say that between starting meds for the retrieval and the actual retrieval we mostly only spoke to his nurses. We completely understand that he is extremely busy, and I know that for every monitoring appointment and blood test he was assessing my results, but hearing from him would have been supportive.
I really enjoyed our clinic [Boston IVF- South Portland]. The support staff was very helpful. I will say that the billing department was extremely disappointing. This is a very sensitive experience for people, and I did not feel like their billing employee gave any empathy, patience, or understanding. I understand that this at the end of the day is a business, we felt like if we didn't completely pay up front that issues would arise, also their was inconsistency in how we were communicated with. Bills that came from the actual Boston, Boston IVF location were almost threatening, notes left at the end of the bill (which I still have for proof) would have comments like "PAYMENT IS SERIOUSLY OVERDUE" which is obviously something we are more than aware of.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Go into an appointment where you will be speaking with Dr. Lannon with structured questions you would like to have answered. I wish we had done that because I sometimes left feeling like I had wished I had written everything down versus trying to remember it all in my head.
Dr. Lannon took extensive time to speak with us in our initial consultation, as well as our consult to begin IVF treatment. Throughout the process he was always reachable, and felt very supported by his staff as well. More importantly, once we found out the transfer had failed. He went out of his way to call us within hours of my blood test results to simply see if my husband and I were okay. Dr. Lannon has truly helped my husband and I to approach the IVF experience with a sense of humor, and know that we are in good hands.
For our egg retrieval we used FSH's such as gonal f, menopur, and cetrotide. After each monitoring Dr. Lannon would tweak my meds based on the ultrasounds and blood tests. We had a pretty "simple' retrieval experience, they got 14 eggs, we did not need ICSI, and 4 made it to Day 5 maturation. He transferred the best graded embryo for a fresh transfer, a 4AA.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara)
Barbara is one of the nurses that supports Dr. Lannons patients and I could not be more thankful for the empathy and sensitivity she showed us each and every day during our retrieval and transfer process.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I really enjoyed our clinic. The support staff was very helpful. I will say that the billing department was extremely disappointing. This is a very sensitive experience for people, and I did not feel like their billing employee gave any empathy, patience, or understanding. I understand that this at the end of the day is a business, we felt like if we didn't completely pay up front that issues would arise, also their was inconsistency in how we were communicated with. Bills that came from the actual Boston, Boston IVF location were almost threatening, notes left at the end of the bill (which I still have for proof) would have comments like "PAYMENT IS SERIOUSLY OVERDUE" which is obviously something we are more than aware of.
So the egg retrieval and transfer were 9,400. Medications for retrieval were 3,000. Testing prior to starting the retrieval (genetic) were 1,100.
As we were set on only transferring one embryo, we are not very sure on what Dr. Lannons stance is on multiple embryos transferred. We do know that he is comfortable transferring two but I am not sure past that amount.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
We felt like a number at times with Boston IVF -everything is scheduled according to the day they do procedures, not according to how my body is responding.... Overall the staff were great. I did not feel that I received all the information I wanted with regard to financial assistance options. It felt like a cookie cutter list was given to us with options that we were then responsible for looking into ourselves.... The clinic was very secretive about our results.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is warm, approachable, and has a sense of humor. He took the time to answer any and all questions we had and he has been very responsive personally to e-mails. We recently asked for a bottom-line honest opinion and feel he delivered on that. I trust Dr. Lannon. I was disappointed at how our pregnancy loss was handled as I felt like we were ushered out of the office quickly due to being upset and then there was no follow-up. We were also not given specific information about our baby's heart rate and we only found out how low the heart rate was after requesting our records some time later. I feel like we would have been better prepared for our follow-up ultrasound if we had been given this information. I received a call from my ob/gyn's office stating that they received our records and wanted to know what our follow-up was for the missed miscarriage and we had none. I did reach out to Boston IVF a while later to discuss my disappointment and they sent my message to Dr. Lannon and we received an e-mail from him personally the same day. He stated that the clinic chooses to give people space after their loss which I don't agree with but felt some relief that we weren't just dropped because we weren't a success. We went abroad for another cycle due to cost and we reached out to Dr. Lannon again a year later since last seeing him and were able to schedule a meeting with him pretty quickly.
Ask for what you need - don't wait for it to be offered. Dr. Lannon is a great doctor and partners with you. I wish that we had been more direct the first time about our questions, our needs, and potential risks.
With Dr. Lannon specifically we always felt like a human - he is very personable and responsive. We felt like a number at times with Boston IVF -everything is scheduled according to the day they do procedures, not according to how my body is responding.
We had no reason based on my blood work to think I would not respond well to stimulation and it was a shock to us and Dr. Lannon when they only retrieved 6 mature eggs. I started with birth control pill and then took Lupron followed by Gonal F 300 mg until the trigger shot (Ovidrel) and Lupron may have been added back in there towards the end. Dr. Lannon did tell us that if we were to do another cycle with him using my eggs, he would consider a lupron antagonist protocol. We ended up with all 6 eggs fertilizing and 2 blastocysts.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
We warmed up to our nurse as we had more interactions with her. Our first meeting where we went over the protocol was overwhelming and felt rushed and confusing and the nurse was not overly warm. The nursing staff in general was great and I felt well cared for during procedures.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Overall the staff were great. I did not feel that I received all the information I wanted with regard to financial assistance options. It felt like a cookie cutter list was given to us with options that we were then responsible for looking into ourselves. There is minimal information given about possible grants and scholarships available or other options other than financing. We requested this information specifically when we were considering whether or not we would be able to afford another cycle and I included what we had already used for options in the past that would no longer be an option and I received a generic e-mail back with the same list given to us the first time. We qualified for a treatment discount based on our income and I was very disappointed to learn that if we used any form of grant or gift money that we would no longer qualify for the discount. There are few grants that provide substantial assistance and unless we received at least a $10k grant, we would end up having to pay more than our first cycle without the discount. The clinic felt like a factory at times and everything is scheduled according to when the clinic does particular procedures rather than specific to how I responded. There was a question about whether or not I would have had more mature eggs if given a couple more days of stimulation but the retrieval was scheduled for 1 day for all patients. My next cycle was at a clinic abroad and they saw me daily towards the end to closely monitor the growth and scheduled the retrieval for the day my body was ready. The clinic was very secretive about our results. For instance, I was doing fertility acupuncture and my acupuncturist wanted me to come with my estrogen level and how many follicles and what size but the clinic would not give me this information and they said they don't give this out.
Fresh IVF cycle using our own eggs and sperm with a discount based on income cost $8,000 and the medications cost about $3,000 with a pharmacy that offers a discount to Boston IVF patients. We recently went for another consult and it is recommended that we move to donor egg which is $18,000 for a single cycle or $42,000 for the assurance program which offers a full refund if you are are not able to have a live birth within 6 cycles.
South Portland

Doctor Lannon took a great deal of time answering our many questions and creating a fertility plan with us. He was candid and clear with his responses and very funny which helped to keep the mood light, all the while being sensitive to our situation. We feel completely comfortable seeing Dr Lannon. I would have liked him to coach us more on lifestyle changes that could help improve our fertility, but it seems he was sure that our problem might not be improved and our best option is IVF.
The clinic [Boston IVF-S. Portland] is welcoming, private, calm and comforting. I never have to wait long to be seen and rarely encounter others in the wait room. If you are a male and need to provide a sample, you are allowed to do so at home and bring it in within an hour - which is great because there is only one restroom off the reception area. My husband was not interested in attempting to provide a sample in that restroom and walking it to the receptionist. The patient rooms are small and basic, offices are comfortable.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Do your homework ahead of your visit and go informed and armed with questions.
Dr Lannon is down to Earth, has a great sense of humor, and listens well and weighs in on concerns. He spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
So far we have received only diagnostic testing, one cycle of Clomid without treatment, and one cycle of Clomid with unmonitored IUI. We received the Clomid and IUI treatment because we asked for it, not because it was suggested. It has been suggested that we try IVF, but we will request one more round of IUI before considering.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tami Gosselin)
Tami has been wonderful with us. She is kind, answers all of our questions, and makes sure we are well informed. She calls and sends follow up emails so that I have a reference for instructions. She's great!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is welcoming, private, calm and comforting. I never have to wait long to be seen and rarely encounter others in the wait room. If you are a male and need to provide a sample, you are allowed to do so at home and bring it in within an hour - which is great because there is only one restroom off the reception area. My husband was not interested in attempting to provide a sample in that restroom and walking it to the receptionist. The patient rooms are small and basic, offices are comfortable.
We paid $450 for an unmonitored IUI cycle. If I remember correctly, I paid $400 for a sonohysterogram, and about $100 for my husband's semen analysis. We also paid $200 for genetic testing (for me).

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Lannon is a stellar doctor who has always communicated well with me. He's honest but warm, personable, and analytical. His bedside manner is impeccable and he has a good sense of humor. We had mixed results with our embryos and I had some complications throughout my treatment, but I always felt a strong sense of empathy from him and felt like we were in this together...Dr. Lannon was always happy to share his knowledge. He explains things when asked, but he might not offer up information without a prompt.
I only saw one doctor (not including anesthesiologists) at Boston IVF which I really liked. The nurses are quick to call you back. They have floating sonographers so I hardly saw the same person twice for ultrasounds. The receptionist is wonderful, but the backup receptionist is not warm at all. They just redesigned their website, and while it looks nicer, it's too "marketing" and not "caring" enough for me...
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm pretty inquisitive and Dr. Lannon was always happy to share his knowledge. He explains things when asked, but he might not offer up information without a prompt.
Dr. Lannon has always been very personable with me. He's always made me feel very comfortable and like I mattered.
After rounds Clomid and a couple failed IUIs with another doctor, I saw Dr. Lannon for a full round of IVF. He first did a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to ensure my tubes weren't blocked, then we started the IVF cycle. Stimulation: Gonal-F and Lupron. Retrieval: general anesthesia. Transfer: transferred two fresh 5-day embryos and froze three more. Subsequent frozen transfers have consisted of Estradiol pills and patches, and progesterone suppositories (Crinone before the drug price skyrocketed, Endometrin after). Before my final transfer, Dr. Lannon recommended/performed a hysteroscopy on me due to retained placental product which called for general anesthesia.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
It took me a bit to warm to Amy. She covers information quickly and is very frank which can come off as uncaring, but she's great once you get to know her a bit better.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
In 2014, IVF: $8,300 paid in full before process began (included pre-op; follicle monitoring; serum hormone assays during stimulation; egg retrieval; sperm prep; anesthesia; transfer; post-op). My initial meds were $4,000. Embryo freezing: $1,750. ICSI: $2,500. Other fees (we did not incur): $500 anesthesia at transfer; $1,000 assisted hatching. Patients can apply for financial aid and must submit two years of tax returns.
I requested the initial transfer of two embryos and Dr. Lannon obliged. Subsequent transfers have been singles.

2013 - 2015, Successful
I appreciated Dr. Lannon's scientific, analytic approach to our conversations...His communication-style seems very adaptable to individual patients, so be sure to tell him what you need (Statistics? Data? A more emotional approach?)
...I felt the nurse was too curt in her explanations or descriptions of protocol, which led to confusion at times, including the failure to start an IVF cycle in February (we had to start in March instead).
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is frank with a dry sense of humour. He was easy to talk to, well-prepared for our appointments, and thoroughly and patiently answered our questions. As a reproductive endocrinologist, he's very much focused on the goal of getting his patients pregnant. I came to him with a long-standing diagnosis of stage four endometriosis and I wanted to discuss treatment of that condition, which was preventing me from becoming pregnant. I felt he was less prepared/open for a conversation about endo, except as it affected our fertility issues.Ultimately, I ended up working with an OB/GYN to address endometriosis treatment, after which I returned to work with Dr. Lannon to continue fertility treatments.
Dr. Lannon is approachable and friendly, but dry. Don't mistake his sense of humour for a lack of caring or lack of bedside manner. His communication-style seems very adaptable to individual patients, so be sure to tell him what you need (Statistics? Data? A more emotional approach?) Don't be afraid to ask questions.
I appreciated Dr. Lannon's scientific, analytic approach to our conversations. I'm an attorney and my husband is an analyst. We both felt Dr. Lannon understood direct communication was important to us. He has a very dry sense of humour, which we also appreciated, but his approach never felt flip or anything less than understanding of the challenges we faced.
Diagnostic: Other than my endometriosis, fertility tests did not reveal any underlying causes for infertility. Dr. Lannon discussed the various treatments available to us and recommended a course of Clomid. However, we put treatment on hold because I needed surgery. When I returned after recovery (approximately 1 year later), the statistical data showed that proceeding directly to IVF was our best approach. Stimulation: I began with nightly injections of Menopur and Bravelle. Every three-four days, I visited the clinic for an ultrasound and blood work. The same day, I would receive a call from the clinic nurse with any adjustments to my injections. This continued until my follicles were large enough (15mm+) to retrieve. At the end of my treatments, I took an additional, single shot of Cetrotide. Trigger: Thirty-six hours before retrieval, I injected myself with a single trigger shot (Ovidrel). Retrieval: I was under general anesthesia for retrieval. Transfer: We had a five-day transfer of two embryos (based on my age, Dr. Lannon recommends two embryo transfer; he will not transfer more than two at a time), followed by a pregnancy test (blood test) two weeks later. Follow up: The final appointment with Dr. Lannon was an eight-week ultrasound after which our care was transferred to our OB/GYN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy McLaughlin)
Amy was friendly, but at times too quick in her explanations regarding treatment or next steps. I appreciated that she was quick to return phone calls.
As of March 2015: IVF $8,900 payment required in full before process began (included pre-op; follicle monitoring; serum hormone assays during stimulation; egg retrieval; sperm prep; anesthesia; transfer; post-op). Meds were not included in the above nor covered by our insurance and cost ~$6,000. Embryo freezing: $1,750. Other fees (we did not incur): $2,500 ICSI; $500 anesthesia at transfer; $1,000 assisted hatching. Cancellation reimbursement: $8,150 pre-stimulation; $6,400 before retrieval; $2,900 before transfer. Boston IVF provides financial aid to qualifying patients based on income (patients are required to submit two years of tax returns for review).
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
The clinic staff was friendly and did a great job at returning calls. As noted previously, at times I felt the nurse was too curt in her explanations or descriptions of protocol, which led to confusion at times, including the failure to start an IVF cycle in February (we had to start in March instead).

2014 - 2015, Successful
When it was time for the retrieval, my hormones were too high because I responded very well to the meds. So Dr. Lannon thought it was best to wait until my body had returned to normal before finishing the cycle. We also had only 4 embryos and he wanted to give us the best chance at a positive result...feels that he wants to give patients the best outcome, and if one embryo sabotages the other embryo you could lose both of them. In our case, it was better that we only do one embryo at a time, as well that it was safer to not have twins if we could avoid it.
The nursing staff [at Boston IVF] were always very professional and compassionate. They always took the best care of us and wanted us to feel calm and we could ask any questions we needed to...We were given a discount based on our income, as well as a discount on the medications. We felt like cost never obstructed our quality of care...The clinic was always inviting, from the receptionist at the front to ultrasound techs or people who drew blood. We never felt rushed or felt like we were bothering anyone. The clinic had no weaknesses. All of the staff are very good at what they do. For a new patient, be patient, try to keep your stress levels down even though it is a very stressful process, and have faith in yourself and the staff.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
From the day we walked through the door, Dr. Lannon treated us like we were important. He listened to our history and what we had been through and then gave us the facts, but delivered them in such a way that we felt like he was honest but not harsh. As a patient, I always felt like he was putting my needs first before financial gain. We never felt like he was after our money, he was generally concerned and cared if we had a child. When we went in for our egg retrieval, my hormone levels were incredibly high. He said we would see how many eggs we got before moving onto the transfer. After, due to difficulties retrieving eggs, we got 7 eggs. Dr. Lannon called us personally a few days later and said that it would have been unsafe to transfer with my hormones being so high. We also only had 4 embryos and he wanted to give us the best chance at a successful cycle. So Dr. Lannon suggested we stop the cycle and do a frozen cycle when my body had calmed down. We trusted him completely and did that. Dr. Lannon was amazing with the amount of care and compassion he conveyed to us.
Be honest and trust him and you will get the best care you will receive. Never give up, even when you feel like there is no hope.
We felt like the tone of the care that we got was exceptional. Dr. Lannon spent extra time with us when we needed it. He explained things further if we needed it. We never felt rushed and he always answered our questions, no matter how silly we thought they were. We always felt welcome and like he care. He told us what we needed to hear, not what we wanted to hear. He was always honest with us and made us feel like he was listening to what we had to say.
We had to use IVF with ICSI and were put on a medication protocol where I was injected every night for 2 weeks and had daily ultrasound and blood work. When it was time for the retrieval, my hormones were too high because I responded very well to the meds. So Dr. Lannon thought it was best to wait until my body had returned to normal before finishing the cycle. We also had only 4 embryos and he wanted to give us the best chance at a positive result. So we froze the embryos we had (ended up with 2) and waited until my body had returned to normal. The first frozen transfer we tried did not work, but the second one we tried did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy and Barbara)
The nursing staff were always very professional and compassionate. They always took the best care of us and wanted us to feel calm and we could ask any questions we needed to.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Dr. Lannon feels that he wants to give patients the best outcome, and if one embryo sabotages the other embryo you could lose both of them. In our case, it was better that we only do one embryo at a time, as well that it was safer to not have twins if we could avoid it.
South Portland

He [Dr. Lannon] is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor. ... He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
The front office staff [At Boston IVF] is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was the second doctor I saw and changing to him made a huge difference. He is extremely available for questions at any time and goes to bat for you to try to make things go as smoothly as possible. He helps you think through all your options and the pros and cons without pressuring you one way or the other. I don't know if I could have keep going with treatment without his support.
Go in to the visit with all your questions written down, he will take the time to go through them all with you.
He is willing to get into the nitty gritty details of the science of treatment, but also the emotional aspects. He takes your whole picture into account. Has a great and appropriate sense of humor.
Still in the middle of treatment.
The nurses were ok, I feel they could have been more responsive and organized. There were multiple miscommunications and mix ups. I did not get much emotional support from them.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The front office staff is not particularly friendly and I had a few very non-compassionate interactions. If you are deviating from their usual protocols things might get messed up and you have to be on top of things for yourself. Timing of monitoring is not flexible but they did always get me in pretty early so I wasn't too late for work. The ultrasound techs rotate in and are not specific to the clinic, so they are very different in what they tell you about what they are seeing which I found stressful.
So far, about $20,000
South Portland

I really felt so lucky to have him since he is sort of the only guy around. He's really personable and easy to talk to, while being extremely measured, direct, and knowledgeable about his job. I also really appreciated his sense of humor, that was helpful when things got rough and I needed a laugh. He wasn't flippant about anything, though, and always knew how important this process was to me...Dr. Lannon is AWESOME but doesn't cover this part of the process.
They're [Boston IVF] fine! They are organized and easy to access care. I had a flexible work schedule, but overall, I think they were able to accommodate. They were compassionate, and showed a lot of compassion...[Nurse Staff] They were on top of it, very knowledgable, and helpful...[Monitoring Appointments] Efficient, well-oiled machine! I was usually in and out within 15 minutes...[Cost Of Treatment] Overall, about $18,000....Dr. Lannon is AWESOME
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I also did a lot of alternative things to support my process--diet, accupuncture, massage, etc. If you have the means to do these things, I would. Dr. Lannon is AWESOME but doesn't cover this part of the process.
He's straight forward with data, but warm and funny at the same time. I really love him.
Don't remember!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Carol? )
They were on top of it, very knowledgable, and helpful.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They're fine! They are organized and easy to access care. I had a flexible work schedule, but overall, I think they were able to accommodate. They were compassionate, and showed a lot of compassion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
Efficient, well-oiled machine! I was usually in and out within 15 minutes.
Overall, about $18,000.
2014, Successful
After trying numerous IUI procedures with a failing result, we attempted the "mini IVF" (no injectables) [with Dr. Benjamin Lannon], just so we could potentially lower the cost before going all the way in. It was discovered that my ovaries were not reacting to the medication and the injectables were needed, so we attempted a full IVF and had success!...He treated me as an individual and determined what was best for me specifically.
Because we qualified for a discount, we paid $5,900 for our full IVF cycle [at Boston IVF] and $3,000 for the medications...Strengths would be the open mindedness of the clinic and the fact that they were willing to let us try other options first before doing the full IVF (such as doing the "mini IVF" to help us save on cost). We were also granted with a discount for our IVF cycle, which was extremely helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a terrific doctor. He is honest and straight to the point, yet very comforting and helpful. He made sure we understood every procedure before anything was performed and was willing to work with us and allow us to try whatever we felt comfortable with.
Keep an open mind!
I was treated really well under Dr. Lannon's care. He treated me as an individual and determined what was best for me specifically.
After trying numerous IUI procedures with a failing result, we attempted the "mini IVF" (no injectables), just so we could potentially lower the cost before going all the way in. It was discovered that my ovaries were not reacting to the medication and the injectables were needed, so we attempted a full IVF and had success!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Because we qualified for a discount, we paid $5,900 for our full IVF cycle and $3,000 for the medications. I cannot remember how much the "mini IVF" was, but it was $400 per IUI cycle.
South Portland

He listens to you and he understand the frustrations women are going through. There was no blame put on me as the person with PCOS. He even scheduled a time to call me and check on me to see how I was feeling/doing. I felt much better after seeing doctor Lannon. ... My nurse [Boston IVF] and doctor both take time to email and call me and explain in detail.
Finding the building was easy, very welcoming when you walk in, gave us small talk to help us relax as a first visit is nerve wracking. Made sure we understood the process before we began. Just an overall great experience! ... My nurse and doctor [Dr. Lannon] both take time to email and call me and explain in detail. They are both extremely patient with me and all my questions.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Be opened minded and trust his instinct.
My nurse and doctor both take time to email and call me and explain in detail. They are both extremely patient with me and all my questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
So far it is reasonable, but we are in the early stages of different medicines to help ovulation.
2013, Successful
Everything explained to me with a very caring staff...I think he [Dr. Benjamin Lannon] was great checked my uterus before treatment began found fibroids and removed them...[Boston IVF] Needs more locations but other than that no complaints
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I think he was great checked my uterus before treatment began found fibroids and removed them
Read about ivf before you go in
Everything explained to me with a very caring staff
The uterine scan was very smart
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Sweet and cheering for me the whole time
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Needs more locations but other than that no complaints
None my insurance paid
Brookline

2015 - 2019, Successful
Dr Lannon would only do eSET for us. He explained his reasoning, which I believe was because I was under 30 and had a healthy uterus as my infertility was caused by PCOS...is a little hard to read on a personality level. It’s not a poor bedside manner, just a little guarded perhaps? He is very smart and matter of fact, which might read as cold. I feel like I saw nursing staff way more often than I saw him, though...
A weakness of this clinic is that it is a satellite of the Boston clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland]. All of the billing coordinators are in Boston and we had a few billing issues. Everything was handled over the phone, but the distance was more of a mental issue for myself and made it seem harder. The OR wasn’t very private and felt a bit like an egg retrieval factory. The office staff, the phlebotomists, the imaging staff, and most of the nurses were all great and sympathetic!
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a little hard to read on a personality level. It’s not a poor bedside manner, just a little guarded perhaps? He is very smart and matter of fact, which might read as cold. I feel like I saw nursing staff way more often than I saw him, though.
Don’t be put off by his personality, he knows what he is doing.
The only time I felt like a number was on retrieval and implantation days. The clinic has about 7 curtained off beds and one OR so you can kind of see the other women getting the same treatments. It’s not super private.
My first IVF cycle was Gonal-F, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel trigger shot. Nine eggs were retrieved, six were fertilized, one was viable, one was transferred. Crinone progesterone used for ten days. Resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Second IVF cycle we changed protocols to the “Lupron protocol,” since my body didn’t respond well to the other. Medications were Gonal-F, HCG, and Lupron. Sixteen eggs retrieved, eleven fertilized, five viable embryos, one transferred and four frozen. Resulting in a singleton birth.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
One particular nurse, Barbara, was incompetent. It was so off-putting. She couldn’t explain the protocol and messed up a few times giving us the wrong information. She was the only “bad” nurse, thankfully!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
A weakness of this clinic is that it is a satellite of the Boston clinic. All of the billing coordinators are in Boston and we had a few billing issues. Everything was handled over the phone, but the distance was more of a mental issue for myself and made it seem harder. The OR wasn’t very private and felt a bit like an egg retrieval factory. The office staff, the phlebotomists, the imaging staff, and most of the nurses were all great and sympathetic!
Each cycle is $9,000 but we were given a 30% discount because our insurance didn’t cover treatment, so we paid $6,300 not including donor sperm or any medications. Medications were about $5,000 per cycle.
South Portland

He [Dr. Benjamin Lannon] has a great way of describing what you'll go through while describing things professionally but also understand that you are a person. He has a way of being your doctor but also a confident. He knew how to explain things both to my husband and to myself...I have a balanced translocation so my eggs have all been bad, as well as a diminished ovarian reserve. So given these, I was on a high medication protocol. He followed me closely and tried to obtain as many eggs as possible to increase my chances of a good egg. He was open to my ideas as well.
The lab work is assigned a time which is difficult but the staff is amazing [at Boston IVF]. If you need something different, they will try as hard as they can to obtain that for you. They know how to motivate you and to keep you optimistic...[the nurses] are wonderful!!!...I never had a good embryo to transfer...I have a balanced translocation so my eggs have all been bad, as well as a diminished ovarian reserve. So given these, I was on a high medication protocol. He followed me closely and tried to obtain as many eggs as possible to increase my chances of a good egg. He was open to my ideas as well.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He has a great way of describing what you'll go through while describing things professionally but also understand that you are a person. He has a way of being your doctor but also a confident. He knew how to explain things both to my husband and to myself.
I am sorry you have to go through this but one day, you will create a family
He has a great way of discussing difficult issues with couples
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany Tiff)
These are wonderful!!!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The lab work is assigned a time which is difficult but the staff is amazing. If you need something different, they will try as hard as they can to obtain that for you. They know how to motivate you and to keep you optimistic.
I never had a good embryo to transfer
South Portland

During my treatments time I actually spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and he even emailed me! He was not the one performing the IUI’s so I didn’t see him in person a whole lot but being able to talk to him directly was nice and I was able to ask questions that he could answer direct without going through the nurse. THe communication with him is superb and I really appreciate it.... Dr Lannon definitely didn’t sugar coat anything especially since lab work had shown I had indications of DOR.
I love the Portland office [Boston IVF]! The waiting room is always very quiet and seemed less busy than the Bedford NH office I originally went to. I liked feeling like I was the only one there. The receptionist is very nice. The offices are updated nicely and modern. The phlebotomists are also the best! it seems like there is a rotation of staff and you don’t see the same people each time (different phlebotomist, different US tech) I was fine with this but I know other people really like to have a more personal core group of care providers.
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
I transferred care from a different clinic to Dr Lannon and I am so glad I did. The previous doctor we just didn’t jive with. She was cold, and jumped to conclusions and I felt judgement from her. Dr Lannon definitely didn’t sugar coat anything especially since lab work had shown I had indications of DOR. But he set realistic expectations and made sure I knew exactly what that could mean. However when he tested me that cycle I was within the normal range for all hormone levels and he called immediately to let me know. I had only left the clinic 30 minutes earlier. That cycle I took clomid and did an IUI and ended up with a chemical pregnancy. Dr lannon called me on the phone to review the cycle and I just really appreciate the way he talks to patients. Not overly sensitive but just realistic. Since then I have done another clomid IUI and another cycle with just clomid and have not gotten pregnant. During this time I actually spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and he even emailed me! THe communication with him is superb and I really appreciate it. My previous doctor had done lab work on me (which didn’t look good) and then never even called about it. I just saw the numbers on the portal. Dr lannon was very knowledgeable when I went in for my original consult and it was obvious he had reviewed my file and was up to date with where we were at. While we are headed towards IVF I’m happy I have found Boston IVF and I feel confident working with Dr Lannon will result in a pregnancy. He always communicated with me by phone and even email. It seemed like he was taking time to talk to ME and that I was a real person not just another patient. He is on the “dry” side but I think I like that about him.
If you are looking for a super sensitive doctor filled with humor and sappy stories- he probably isn’t your guy. But if you appreciate having realistic expectations with some positivity thrown in, look no further.
During my treatments time I actually spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and he even emailed me! He was not the one performing the IUI’s so I didn’t see him in person a whole lot but being able to talk to him directly was nice and I was able to ask questions that he could answer direct without going through the nurse. THe communication with him is superb and I really appreciate it. My previous doctor had done lab work on me (which didn’t look good) and then never even called about it. I just saw the numbers on the portal. Dr lannon was very knowledgeable when I went in for my original consult and it was obvious he had reviewed my file and was up to date with where we were at. While we are headed towards IVF I’m happy I have found Boston IVF and I feel confident working with Dr Lannon will result in a pregnancy. He always communicated with me by phone and even email. It seemed like he was taking time to talk to ME and that I was a real person now just another patient.
Clomid 100mg CD 3-7. Monitoring on CD 12, trigger shot, and IUI on CD 14. Both times I had 4 measured follicles. First one resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Second was negative. Third cycle of clomid I had one large follicle and proceeded with trigger shot on CD 12 and times inter course over the next few days which did not result in pregnancy. I responded perfectly well to this protocol but did not end up getting the results we wanted (a baby)!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Gosselin)
Tammy is a fast talker so you better listen up! I only met with her once but spoke to her on the phone several times to review my cycles and such. She seemed like she really cared but she also seemed quite busy. During one of our chats she even recommended a place to visit while we were planning a vacation and told me where I was going was one of her favorite places to visit! At times there was another nurse helping Tammy make calls and this nurse was always very compassionate (spoke to her getting negative pregnancy test results). While the nursing care isn’t super personal I was fine with that. One thing that is difficult is I would have to leave messages each call as no one was available to pick up the phone. However, I would receive a call back within an hour or two. I think the nurses are just very busy.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I love the Portland office! The waiting room is always very quiet and seemed less busy than the Bedford NH office I originally went to. I liked feeling like I was the only one there. The receptionist is very nice. The offices are updated nicely and modern. The phlebotomists are also the best! it seems like there is a rotation of staff and you don’t see the same people each time (different phlebotomist, different US tech) I was fine with this but I know other people really like to have a more personal core group of care providers. Results from labs and US are updated to a portal very timely and I never had to wait very long or to call to get results. Overall I am very happy with my choice of Boston IVF Portland.
My insurance covers IUI but I think it would have been around $1600 for one IUI cycle. Not cheap!

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr Lannon is a thoughtful, caring and compassionate. He is understanding of the struggles patients undergo. He is thoughtful in his approach and adjusts treatment courses as necessary using the most up to date research available ... He takes time to review results and get them to you as quickly as possible ... He presents you with all the options but ultimately you have to make the decisions that are best for you
I was told my lining was thick enough to move forward for embryo transfer when it was not by a nurse who was not my primary. I was given a lab slip and follow up instructions before an embryo transfer that were another patients ... If my [Boston IVF] primary nurse is unavailable sometimes I feel like I’m getting juggled around. After hours help has been difficult on a few occasions to receive. I was given insensitive information by a doctor that wasn’t my own when I called concerned with pregnancy symptoms ...
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr Lannon is compassionate and caring. He takes time to review results and get them to you as quickly as possible
Antagonist protocol
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
If my primary nurse is unavailable sometimes I feel like I’m getting juggled around. After hours help has been difficult on a few occasions to receive. I was given insensitive information by a doctor that wasn’t my own when I called concerned with pregnancy symptoms
$7750 IVF, $3850 PGS, $2500 icsi
eSET used in both cases
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
South Portland
Dr. Lannon is a great doctor, who has helped my husband and I through some really hard times with IVF. ... IVF procedure because it was th best outcome for us given my history or adolescent cancer . ... He has always had the best for us giving us different ways of doing procedures and giving hope. I am thankful for Dr. Lannon for never giving up on me and always reassuring me that there is always hope in IVF. ... He was kind and had our best interest at heart for every cycle we went through even though we have had numerous losses
Very organized, friendly and compassionate. Always returning your phone call in a timely fashion. The [Boston IVF] reception area was welcoming. Always asking how you are doing as a person and accepting of where you are at that moment. ... [Nursing Staff] Amazing!! So nice and compassionate and always willing to answer any questions you have! ... [Cost of Treatment] 7,000 ...
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
Dr. Lannon is a great doctor, who has helped my husband and I through some really hard times with IVF. He has always had the best for us giving us different ways of doing procedures and giving hope. I am thankful for Dr. Lannon for never giving up on me and always reassuring me that there is always hope in IVF.
Be open and honest.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Very organized, friendly and compassionate. Always returning your phone call in a timely fashion. The reception area was welcoming. Always asking how you are doing as a person and accepting of where you are at that moment.

2013 - 2014, Successful
He [Dr. Lannon] was phenomenal. Made us feel so much at ease. We actually named our son Benjamin. He went above and beyond and really connected with us. Well worth the four and a half hour drive. Never left a doctor appointment feeling sad Or sorry, always hopeful ... He is by far the most genuine doctor we ever saw. He gave us hope ...
Super friendly staff [Boston IVF], many locations, nice office. Understanding of needs and wants, works hard to provide quality care and getting patients in in a timely manner. The whole office is extremely understanding and kind, felt like they really took the time to get to know us ... I believe IUI ran about $1300.00 per. IVF was 8300 plus medications. ... The entire staff was amazing. They worked with us and our long commute. Communicated regularly with us and so helpful
How was your experience with Benjamin Lannon at Boston IVF?
He was phenomenal. Made us feel so much at ease. We actually named our son Benjamin. He went above and beyond and really connected with us. Well worth the four and a half hour drive. Never left a doctor appointment feeling sad Or sorry, always hopeful
Call sooner than later, don’t wait. He can help
He is by far the most genuine doctor we ever saw. He gave us hope
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Super friendly staff, many locations, nice office. Understanding of needs and wants, works hard to provide quality care and getting patients in in a timely manner. The whole office is extremely understanding and kind, felt like they really took the time to get to know us
I believe IUI ran about $1300.00 per. IVF was 8300 plus medications.
2018, Consult
He [Dr. Lannon] was very informative and really took the time to listen ti what i had to say and my concerns. ... He was verg nice. Only had him for a consultation so far. But i am looking forward to moving onword if I can manage to get the funds to proceed with my surgery. I cannot waite. He listened to everything I had to say. ...
They [Boston IVF] were all very friendly. They all took the time to make sure I was comfortable and to make sure that all of my Questions were answered. They wanted to make sure I had the best experience possible. And hopefully i will get to have my surgery with ben if god forbid i get the money too. ... am looking forward to moving onword if I can manage to get the funds to proceed with my surgery.
Just be your self
He was very informative and really took the time to listen ti what i had to say and my concerns.
Idk
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
They were all very friendly. They all took the time to make sure I was comfortable and to make sure that all of my Questions were answered. They wanted to make sure I had the best experience possible. And hopefully i will get to have my surgery with ben if god forbid i get the money too.
Expensive