RMA of New York

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Monterrey
ResidencyReese Hospital
FellowshipMount Sinai
635 Madison Avenue
212-756-5777
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Benjamin Sandler to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New York to a friend?
Dr. Sandler met with me ahead of the IVF and he had reviewed my file. During the cycle, I never saw him nor spoke to him. After a failed IVF, I had to make an appointment and waited two weeks to see him. There was little communication...I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions. I went to him because an acquaintance recommended him, but I would not have chosen him on my own - I should have listened to my gut.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Don't go to him if you're older and have poor egg quality. He is of the philosophy that the more medicine, the better.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
It was very cookie cutter Gonal F and Menopur, with higher and higher doses as my body didn't react well. There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
I had to call continually because nurses often failed to respond before 3pm. Which is stressful if you're doing an IVF the first time. They offered little information. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. I told the nurse it seemed wrong and she dismissed my concerns. There was little personal attention.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call line, but I rarely waited more than 15 minutes. I was one of the first to enter, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered most of the costs, except for a small co-pay.
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Sandler is very frank and honest about his anxieties, which is wonderful but also doesn’t help a patient stay positive when we may already be feeling despondent...When his business office completely miscommunicated what the cost of our experiences would be, he gave us ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband was a PGY1 in the Mount Sinai system and had gotten an MD/PhD at Mount Sinai as I well), generously taking care of basically one frozen transfer cycle. He was adamant that he didn’t want the unclear finances to be the stressor. I will never forget that.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is very frank and honest about his anxieties, which is wonderful but also doesn’t help a patient stay positive when we may already be feeling despondent. However, he knows his stuff and takes very seriously his duty to get women pregnant. I trustes he was doing his best. When his business office completely miscommunicated what the cost of our experiences would be, he gave us ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband was a PGY1 in the Mount Sinai system and had gotten an MD/PhD at Mount Sinai as I well), generously taking care of basically one frozen transfer cycle. He was adamant that he didn’t want the unclear finances to be the stressor. I will never forget that.
Ask questions and ask him to slow down if he is speaking too quickly.
Dr. Sandler was thorough and quite knowledgeable. As he got to know me he certainly warmed up. He spoke quickly and sometimes at length, needing to be redirected to my questions or reason for the visit.
I had good ovarian reserve and was 30, almost 31 years old, so we began with med to make me get a period, then letrozole with monitoeing, a trigger shot and timed intercourse. Because I had previously had a miscarriage at 10.5 weeks, he thought I could get pregnant again on my own. Letrozole was because it has less risk of multiples and less hormonal side effects. I got pregnant on our second round - a blighted ovum that we terminated with cytotec at 8 weeks. Because of this second loss, he suggested we do a immunology work up and we found that I heterozygous for factor v lieden with positive antibodies. I wish he could have recommended a hematologist who took insurance but he couldn’t. I found one and she was fine though didn’t think I needed blood thinners. I appreciated that Dr. Sandler insisted. We did an egg harvest, genetic testing, and FET to control as many variables as possible. I loved that he insisted the progesterone suppositories were just as effective and less stressful, and so I used those and estrace of course. First fet was a chemical positive. Second resulted in our daughter! I used blood thinners the entire pregnancy and will again next time as well. Folgard too!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Most nurses were patient and compassionate on the phone. They have the hardest work, I think, in delivering news of monitoring and successes or failures. They were generally great. The three women who took blood were marvelous. Toward the end of my time there were new women to take blood and they needed more practice but I’m sure would improve quickly given the high volume of the practice. Monitoring hours were first-come, first-served and they were efficent and honest with the time.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Only negative is financial coordinator, Hera or Hema or something like that, was not easy to get in touch with and was quite unclear in her communication. Everyone else was lovely and compassionate, especially nurses who educate you on trigger shots and Kristen, Sandler’s IVF coordinator.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7-8:30am, I believe. They were first-come, first-served. During the week I would arrive at 6:45 and never waited longer than 45 min. Weekends would be a longer wait because I would get there between 7:30-8. I was usually out by 9 or 9:30, though.
Insurance covered most of us so I’m not sure. When they didn’t communicate clearly what our insurance would cover, we went directly to Dr. Sandler who provided us with a one-time ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband is also an MD) because he didn’t want stress over financials to deter us from focusing on the positive of a successful fet.
Given my age and history; Sandler recommended single embryo transfer. I am an identical twin and my mother was in the hospital for months with high blood pressure while pregnant. I 100% was thankful for Sandler’s honesty, thought, and opinion.
NY - Eastside
Dr. Sandler is a wonderful physician who really cares about his patients. I loved that he adjusted my treatment plan and when things weren't working out with one medication, we switched it. Dr. Sandler is proactive, not just reactive, which is extremely important in the course of fertility treatment. Although RMA is very busy and truly runs a large-scale operation, I found them to be extremely sensitive, considerate, and reachable. Dr. Sandler is an amazing physician but he is not exactly "warm and fuzzy," so I would keep that in mind if you are someone who needs a doctor who is more laid back. I found Dr. Sandler to be completely honest about expectations, while also maintaining a level of reassurance to me given my age and medical history.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
If you see that the treatment is not going as planned, schedule a conversation with Dr. Sandler to discuss alternative options.
I cannot sing the praises enough of RMA New York. They are so efficient, professional, and caring. The doctors are extremely busy and have a lot of patients to see, but I always felt like they answered my questions, and if I had follow up questions I would then speak to a nurse. The nurses were beyond responsive, approachable, and extremely sensitive and helpful. Dr. Sandler would tell it to me like it was, he was realistic about expectations, and he did not give me false hope. Dr. Sandler gave me options, he recommended what was best, and it resulted in a viable pregnancy. I will forever be grateful to him and his practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Mitkus & Alyssa Ball )
I found all of the nurses at RMA to be great, but Dr. Sandler's nurses Danielle and Alyssa and beyond fantastic. They always reassured me and helped me through every step of the process. They were approachable, and if I called RMA about something specific, the nurses would call me back ASAP, often within the hour. Based on my prior experience within medical offices, RMA is unparalleled as far as sensitivity, efficiency, compassion, and overall excellence in general. I am so grateful that I was recommended to RMA, and the nurses in particular made the experience as pleasant as possible. I am forever grateful to Danielle and Alyssa for their expertise, kindness, and compassion.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a remarkably well-oiled machine. When you schedule an appointment, they handle everything with care and efficiency and you can get in and out and go about your day. I loved the early morning appointments and knowing that I wasn't going to spend all day in a doctor's office, especially because of the frequency of visits relating to fertility treatments. The waiting room is nice and comfy, and the office becomes, in a way, your home away from home, because you spend so much time there. Although you do not always see the same nurses/doctors, they are transparent with each other about your level of care, so you do not feel like you are just being shuffled from person to person. It is a large clinic, so you will likely be seeing different doctors at different appointments, but all of the doctors are fantastic, so you are in good hands! Although Dr. Sandler was my assigned doctor (and I think he is phenomenal), I also saw Dr. Grunfeld quite frequently (I guess our schedules were more aligned) and he is also a phenomenal physician.
I have excellent insurance, so I usually had a $40 co-pay when I would go to RMA, but otherwise all of the procedures/blood work was covered. For the shots prior to the IUI, they were $60 each month (my insurance covered the bulk of it), and the medication Clomid/Letrozole varied between $5-$10 (my insurance covered most of it)
NY - Eastside
Dr. Sandler was mostly straightforward during my treatment. I did feel that there were times he overexplained things and didn't focus on the details I wanted to hear. However he answered all of my questions as they arose, and I did feel confident he had my best interest in mind. My treatments were a success with Dr. Sandler, and after 2 rounds of IUI and 2 rounds of full IVF, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant...
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
You will not be handheld, and you may have to ask for specifics at some points, but feel confident that he will get the job done.
The clinic saw a lot of patients, and I always felt like Dr. Sandler had to look at a file to remember my name. But I also felt that the staff upon retrieval and transfer were so kind and helpful, which I believe is when it really mattered most.
We started with 2 IUI rounds on clomid. After no success, my FSH rose to 16 and Dr. Sandler explained it was time to move to IVF and be aggressive. First IVF cycle was the antagonist protocol and I retrieved 8 eggs, 4 were mature, and 3 fertilized. 2 made it to Day 5 and both were transferred, but they appeared to be of abnormal quality. I had a chemical positive that progressed no further. Second IVF cycle, I used the Lupron flare protocol. Dr. Sandler believed that I may have egg quality issues, so I took DHEA supplements on my own after asking him about it for 3.5 months first. Then I started the flare protocol, but only retrieved 5 eggs, and produced 1 embryo. However, that embryo was the "most beautiful embryo the clinic had seen all week" and they thought it to be of high quality. I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
I called numerous times with questions and the nurses were always helpful or quick to return my call.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: Lots of great doctors, great results, knowledgeable staff, helpful with understanding benefits and helping to obtain discounts. Weaknesses: Won't baby you (I don't think this is necessarily a weakness), there are a lot of women there so morning monitoring can definitely feel like a factory.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
First come, first served, from 7--830. There were always tons of women there, but only a couple instances where it wasn't moving efficiently enough.
Fortunately, insurance helped out greatly with my expenses. I still paid several thousand dollars out of pocket (maybe $10K).
NY - Eastside
I'm a science nerd so I appreciated having this information, but he [Dr Sandler] sometimes presented the information just as information giving me little indication as to how this information would affect my husband and I in real life. It seemed like he was using a "flow chart" of sorts where if treatment A didn't work then we move on to treatment B without necessarily considering me, my history or how the previous treatment went.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is incredibly knowledgeable and often explained what was going on in great, scientific detail. I'm a science nerd so I appreciated having this information, but he sometimes presented the information just as information giving me little indication as to how this information would affect my husband and I in real life. It seemed like he was using a "flow chart" of sorts where if treatment A didn't work then we move on to treatment B without necessarily considering me, my history or how the previous treatment went. He was somewhat personable, but I wouldn't say his bedside manner was always great. Sometimes it seemed as if he wanted to succeed with us more to advance his own ego than to give us sometime we want so badly.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy.
RMA is a huge practice. This has its benefits, but for me, it seemed to have more drawbacks. I never spoke directly with Dr. Sandler when I had a question or corner, nor did I have contact information for a specific nurse or assistant. Each time I called I would have to give a brief overview of my history and a different person would contact me. There were times when I was given two different answers to the same question and had to navigate very confusing waters with little direction. Everyone was nice enough, but many times I felt that the person I was dealing with was not looking at me as a human, with very complicated emotions surrounding infertility and the treatments I was going through.
We started with three cycles of IUI using the pill Letrozol and Ovidrel for the trigger shot. I was told each time I went for monitoring that I was responding well to the medication, but got a negative result each time. I don't recall having any side effects from the Letrozol. I bruised at the injection site from the Ovidrel (but I bruise easily in general). Then we moved on to a traditional IVF cycle. We used Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel again for the trigger shot. Giving the shots to myself wasn't as bad as I expected. I bruised at the injection sites (which you should try to vary as much as possible to avoid injuring the same spot repeatedly) and was sometimes red and irritated as well. I had a very "full" feeling with the injections (which I was told was normal bloating) and was sometimes uncomfortable for a few minutes after each shot (mostly with the Menopur and Cetrotide). We got 9 eggs from this cycle, and at the time were told this was a good number. Unfortunately, only 4 fertilized with ICSI (my husband had testicular cancer in 2013 so they did this because of his medical history) and by the time day 5 came around for the transfer only one was left (it was not at blastocyst stage yet, but they transferred it because it was all that we had and said there was still a chance that we could get pregnant). We did not, however. When we met with Dr. Sandler for a follow-up we were told that 9 eggs was not really a good number (not sure why we were told at the time that it was) and for someone my age and without any other obvious health issues they would have expected more (a doctor we saw before beginning this whole process brought up the idea of endometriosis but Dr. Sandler felt strongly that he did not need to investigate this further). We were also told that my right and left ovaries produced a different number of eggs during this cycle. Dr. Sandler said he would like to see more egg production and more even production between the two ovaries so he recommended another round of IVF but using what they called a "flare protocol". So for IVF round 2, I went on a birth control pill for about 20 days first (this is supposed to shut the whole system down so that when the injections begin, the system is "flared" up and made to produce more eggs and with evenness between the ovaries). Then I did injections again, but this time using Lupron, Follistim, Menopur and then Ovidrel for the trigger shot. This time 13 eggs were retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI and 3 remained at the time of transfer. Dr. Sandler recommended that we transfer two embryos (this time they made it to the blastocyst stage) so we did. The third was allowed to mature another day and was frozen on day 6. I should also mention that with all rounds I also used Medrol, Endometrin, and Prometrium after the transfers (I also took a single dose of an antibiotic with each round). Again, we got a negative pregnancy test. We met with Dr. Sandler again and were told that the one embryo that was frozen made it to a very good stage (all embryos are given a rating based on their development) and he recommended that we transfer that frozen embryo. So we did. I took Estradiol and then used the same progesterone as with the fresh transfers. Again, a negative pregnancy test. We used all of our available insurance benefits and also paid a lot of money out of pocket with Dr. Sandler. So after many failed attempts we decided to try a different doctor just to have a fresh set of eyes look at our case.
With the exception of one nurse, they were generally very quick to give information and sometimes I felt like I was being rushed off the phone. Some seemed somewhat unhappy to be doing what they were doing. I know we all have bad days and things going on outside of work, but this is a very sensitive field to be working in so one would think they would have been a bit more compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very large, clean, and "doctor office" like. Easy to get to for me which was a plus.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I tried getting to the office before it technically opened since I have to be at work early in the morning (by 8am). Usually there were about 5 people there with me. They generally started seeing patients for monitoring on time. The longest I waited was an hour, but that only happened once.
All three cycles of IUI were covered by our insurance and I do not recall the specific costs. A round if IVF with medications ran well over $10,000. Payment was due on day one of the cycle and in full. The anesthesiologist did not take insurance so each retrieval required at least $750 out of pocket. I spoke with Dr. Sandler at the last follow up appointment about finances and he was able to reduce the cost of the frozen transfer that we did.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
He [Dr. Sandler] is obviously a brilliant dude, but there were times I felt like he spoke down to me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of ART treatments, when in reality I was reading academic journal articles regularly to try to know as much as possible...Don't be afraid to ask questions because he will answer them...Just don't expect to ask questions or get much information during the monitoring ultrasounds because they have to see a million patients in a row before and after you...
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Middle Eastern
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He is obviously a brilliant dude, but there were times I felt like he spoke down to me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of ART treatments, when in reality I was reading academic journal articles regularly to try to know as much as possible.
Don't be afraid to ask questions because he will answer them.
In a way, I thought it was somewhat reassuring to be treated like a number, as long as whoever I was dealing with knew my background, where I was in treatment, and so on. The fact that the clinic ran like a well-oiled machine was very comforting because they really did give you the impression they knew what they were doing. I'm also not a person who needs to feel coddled.
1 Clomid cycle with IUI, 3 letrozole cycles with IUI, and 1 last letrozole cycle with TI (because I felt that we were headed for IVF anyway and didn't want to waste money on another IUI). Then, IVF/ICSI with PGS on antagonist protocol (preceded by 10-14 days of OCP), using max dosage of stims because -- as it turned out -- I have DOR! This was never verbalized to me until after the first cycle failed. Good thing I read all those journal articles because I had figured that out myself. The next cycle was supposed to be micro dose Lupron flare protocol preceded by OCP again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Kirsten Schlosser)
Everyone on the support staff was amazing. Even the phlebotomists were sweet and super competent. In the end, I think that makes a bigger difference in the experience than how the doctor talks to you, for example.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
You will feel like a number but it's okay -- that just means they know what they're doing. Even on days when you cannot believe how freaking packed the waiting room is, you will be in and out of there before you know it. A lot of people go there and I took that to mean that they were good. I didn't have success with them but that's because my body is wacky.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I covered this earlier -- it is very busy during morning monitoring but they have so many phlebotomists that it takes no time to get blood draws done. Sometimes there is a minor wait to get twanded but I was never there more than an hour. Just don't expect to ask questions or get much information during the monitoring ultrasounds because they have to see a million patients in a row before and after you.
This is important -- they bill your insurance for a complete cycle, so if you don't make it to transfer, it is still billed as a complete cycle. I don't know if it is different for self-pay people. All told, we used up 8750 of our 10K insurance limit, plus another 4500 out of pocket for PGS, freezing (even though there was nothing to freeze), anesthesia, and extra meds beyond what our insurance was willing to cover ( I was on very high doses).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success....he was pushy and didn't listen. he made up his mind early and never made eye contact I never knew what to expect. when i finally got him to actually call me back he rushed me and treated me like i was an idiot. When i ovulated thru the stims he blamed me instead of the fact the monitoring doctor's should have caught the LH spike. A horrible experience.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
change doctors. he's set in his ways and impersonal.
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success. The practice is large and feels like a human farm. I never had the same doctor twice in daily rotation and for that reason they miss the fact that I had ovulated early - thus a cancelled cycle. I should have known on my first day of cycling when they had me down for a beta pregnancy test and not to start my ivf cycle. then the finance coordinator Hira NEVER met with us - declined to show up for a scheduled appointment and never could answer why all of our insurance money was used for a cycle that never got to a retrieval.
he used a standard antagonist high dose with no priming. I have DOR and a low AFC but he never explained his rationale. I couldn't even find out which protocol I was on till a few days before the cycle - there was next to no communication. I only produced three follicles but again he never told me what to expect and i never saw the same doctor twice so being in the dark completely was a horrible feeling during this process.
they were ok but it's a farm there - so many patients and everyone is overworked.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
too busy ,too many patients. they are greedy and just interested in getting money and billing insurance.
my insurance covered a lifetime of 20k. they used all of it and i never got to egg retrieval. a waste.
NY - Eastside
He [Dr. Sandler] is a very smart man, with a lot of experience and knowledge. Very textbook and he's eager to teach you his knowledge of your situation. So you trust you are getting accurate information but the entire time you do feel like a number. Once we agreed to IVF we saw him once during the process, and we were constantly left with questions and no answers after each visit...Be prepared to ask question if/when you have face time with Dr. Sandler. He is impossible to get a hold of and speak to after your initial consultation and meeting.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He is a very smart man, with a lot of experience and knowledge. Very textbook and he's eager to teach you his knowledge of your situation. So you trust you are getting accurate information but the entire time you do feel like a number. Once we agreed to IVF we saw him once during the process, and we were constantly left with questions and no answers after each visit.
Lack of communication, compassion, and time actually spent with the Doctor.
The only know issue is my low ovarian reserve. So we tried 3 cycles of letrozole plus timed IUI followed by a round of IVF on the antagonist protocol.
Our IVF coordinator met with us one time and was unaccessible after that. In fact, on average it would take her over 24 hours to return an phone call or email...which is very frustrating during the IVF process. I was forced to rely on nurses who knew very little about my case.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a well oiled machine. They are open 364 days a year and monitoring hours are easy and quick.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Get there first thing in the morning and you are in and out within 15 minutes. Otherwise be prepared to wait approximately 45 min.
IUI was around $800/round. IVF was $15,600 plus $5,000 in medication.
He takes things as a case by case basis. So I did trust his recommendation along the way.
PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Benjamin Sandler] right away told me that with my conditions (mostly PCOS but also unexplained infertility) he suggested we move straight to IVF to increase chances of getting pregnant. He also gave me the option of doing more IUI treatments, but didn't think they would work for me...He showed me different statistics, but also talked about how my personal conditions could influence results. He gave me options, talked about what he thought would work for me and advised on how he thought I should proceed.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He's a great doctor. Even during my initial consultation with him, I felt confident in him as my doctor and knew I could trust him. He showed me different statistics, but also talked about how my personal conditions could influence results. He gave me options, talked about what he thought would work for me and advised on how he thought I should proceed.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible. He's a great doctor!
He was always there to answer questions, he was the one who monitored most of my appointments, he explained everything very well every step along the way, he was compassionate and kind, gave me options, his staff was wonderful.
He right away told me that with my conditions (mostly PCOS but also unexplained infertility) he suggested we move straight to IVF to increase chances of getting pregnant. He also gave me the option of doing more IUI treatments, but didn't think they would work for me. I chose to move on to IVF with him and am happy I did so.
The nurses are wonderful! They always answered all questions and returned my calls promptly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The clinic is very well run. Monitoring appointments are very convenient as the clinic opens up early. If I came by 7 am, I'd be out no later than 8 each time, which gave me plenty of time to get to work.
He suggested to transfer 1 embryo at a time given my age and medical history.
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Sandler is an expert in the field. He is honest and compassionate and kept me informed every step of the way....Dr. Sandler navigates the stress while providing realistic expectations. I did two rounds of IVF and was not successful....I took several months off to regroup and went the egg donor route. He explained the entire process, the statistics and the risks. Dr. Sandler was compassionate and patient with me. He was honest yet comforting.
1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is an expert in the field. He is honest and compassionate and kept me informed every step of the way. It is a very stressful experience as a patient with difficulties trying to conceive. Dr. Sandler navigates the stress while providing realistic expectations.
Dr. Sandler is amazing. Be patient with the size of the practice. He is worth the wait.
Several years ago i froze my eggs. When I was ready to conceive I did two rounds of IVF and was not successful. I then thawed my eggs and that procedure was also unsuccessful. I took several months off to regroup and went the egg donor route. He explained the entire process, the statistics and the risks. I now have a beautiful healthy daughter.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dará berg)
Dará Berg is the specialist for donor egg recipients. She was incredibly responsive, compassionate and well-versed in the process.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strength is that they get results. Weakness is that it is a very busy practice and it is frustrating during the monitoring process. Also when you call, if is quite difficult to speak to the doctor. You always get a nurse first.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The window was convenient but it was terribly busy. Often times I waited an hour or more.
I paid for egg freezing ($10,000), IVF ($10,000 each time). Insurance covered $10,000 of embryo transfer with donor egg (which total cost was $23,000)
dr. Sandler was pretty insistent on implanting a single embryo.
2011 - 2015
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
....from the getgo Dr. Sandler was very honest...He did not want to continue a cycle if it wasn't looking good, and was cognizant of me as a person.
2011 - 2015
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I think Dr. Sandler was a very smart doctor who handled a pretty textbook case of diagnosed infertility very well. I was a VERY nervous patient, and he handled me well, was very honest and practical, and got me to where I needed to be. Sometimes I wanted more compassion, but also understood our goals were aligned, and he was doing everything he could to get me to where I wanted to be,
He is not going to hold your hand, but he will do whatever he can to get the best otucome.
I felt like from the getgo Dr. Sandler was very honest- never giving me false hope, but making me believe he would do anything he could to ensure I was successful. He spent over an hour with me at our first meeting, and was always patient, honest, and practical. He did not want to continue a cycle if it wasn't looking good, and was cognizant of me as a person. He is not what I would describe as "warm and fuzzy" but inspired confidence in me as a patient that he would do whatever he could to ensure the best out come.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Keri Bergin)
Keri was the nurse I worked with primarily in between my first series of IVF when I had twins and when I went back for a singleton embryo transfer. She was unbelievable. She left for med school which was very sad for me, but she made me feel empowered, confident, comfortable and supported. I adored her
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Horrible. Very long waits unless there right when the doors opened. VERY long
NY - Eastside
Dr. Sandler made himself accessible for questions and to discuss changes in course of treatment, but did not present option other than injectables. Also, there was no sense of urgency in how I was treated or real discussion about the effects of time and delay...Be proactive and push communication...Standard IVF with injectable medication because of age and ovarian reserve. One cycle was converted to an IUI due to minimal response to medication and overall coverage limitations of insurance.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Be proactive and push communication
RMA is a mill, the standard answer to questions about tailored treatment is "every cycle is different," and as a patient I was pushed to keep doing IVF cycles
As a patient, I did not form any personal relationship with the nursing staff nor was any nurse educated about my specific case.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a mill, and I believe their approach is one that will only work for easy cases. The general refrain was "every cycle is different," without specifically addressing the individual patient. An assessment of my partner and us as a couple would also have been helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were a zoo
approximately $25,000
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Sandler is very experienced. Because he sees so many patients for procedures, if you don't talk with him about everything you know and understand, he will start at the beginning to describe your issues. He tries to be realistic, yet hopeful, that you will get pregnant, but will also explain when there are problems... Communicate often with the nurse coordinators because they are the ones who will answer your questions directly. If you're not getting the answers you want to hear, you'll have to press hard to speak with the doctor. Or else make an appointment to see him for a face to face consultation.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara)
The coordinators do cc: others with your care so that one of them will email back.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Because RMA is such a large practice, you have to trust in the process. But make sure you double check your insurance coverage, co-pays, etc. I had difficulty getting them to fight the insurance company for pharmacy benefits - something about them using fertility codes rather than gynecological codes - for meds for my treatment.
RMA-NY Shared Donor Oocytes with Cryo of embryos, including ICSI and embryology biopsy fee = $23,880. Additional $2000 for PGD/PGS lab screening. Subsequent FET cycle = $3450 ea. Medications extra.
2003 - 2010
8 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr Sandler is very direct, has an incredible human kindness never found in other infertility specialists; some times I did not like what I hear but he kept focusing me in the right direction we even decided to take a six month break that gave us the chance to come back with a successful treatment. he even gave me his cell number to make sure I could call whenever I wanted...He is very direct, and may not hold your hand as others, being a foreign physician (he was born out of the country) may have a different cultural background but showed genuine concern and has been known for not taking money out of people who have no chance to get pregnant.
2003 - 2010
8 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
dr Sandler is very direct, has an incredible human kindness never found in other infertility specialists; some times I did not like what I hear but he kept focusing me in the right direction we even decided to take a six month break that gave us the chance to come back with a successful treatment. he even gave me his cell number to make sure I could call whenever I wanted
He was very kind explained every step clearly and interrupted one cycle when he saw my ovaries were not responding accordingly
he used a Pergonal Protocol, and then HCG on the day of ovulation, followed by retrieval and transfer
Very efficient, we arrived at 6:15 am and they were incredibly empathetic of our situation
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Being an out of town patient, they were in the middle of Manhattan which provided easy access, lots of traffic during working hours but easy to access
dont remember but considered fair and successful
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
[Dr. Benjamin Sandler is] very scientific he gives you his opinion and what he chooses for you...He gave me a hope that we have age on my side I will def get pregnant. But then I didnt get pregnant and then had a chemical.he told me the changes that will happen in a new cycle.he had alot of information...I had antagonist protocol I had 300 gonal f n 3 powders of menupor and then centrotide and my trigger was ovidrel my cycle lasted 11 day
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Hes very scientific he gives you his opinion and what he chooses for you.
He explained everything
Awesome they answered all questions and very promptly
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
If you dont get pregnant the first time dont think of it as the doctors fault it's only the first time and they have to find out what works but the second time around things should work in your favor
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was fast your get in btwn 7 and 8 am and would do bloods then get placed in a room for ultrasound
I had a grant
2011 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
2011 - 2016
IVF, Donor Eggs
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I only saw him twice, once to know him and then at transfer, they prepared my cycle in Mexico (because I liver there) they have this great doctors Martha Luna and Enrique Cervantes they prepare you end then when you are ready yo go tu NYC to do the transfer. The doctors that really treated me and where in contact with me where Martha and Enrique in Mexico. Sandler was nice and he explained everything very well, even though we had no luck in both our treatments with him (one miscarriage and one negative test with donors eggs), I really really like the structure/administration they have at the clinic, they say they will call at 5 with results and the really do. They work by the book and i like that very much.
I think he is very good at what he does, he is very busy and has a lot of patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I think that as a weakness they have too many patients. Strengths, they know what they are doing.
Shared donnor egg : 21,000 usd Not shared donor egg: 35,000 usd Plus medication and testing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
I met with Dr Sandler after a natural miscarriage, at first he did a sonogram, didn't suspect any issues there, ordered me a HSG and day 3 blood work and said since I am young he's pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. after my day 3 bloodwork he had a nurse tell me that I have diminished ovarian reserve and shes so sorry. i had to wait 3 weeks until he would see me to discuss options. at 28 he basically said my body is a 40+ year old woman and it would be difficult to get me pregnant, but no big deal, i could use donor eggs. No compassion. As i sat there crying he kept saying donor eggs are a great option.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
he was going to do a long antagonist protocol. i didnt move forward with him.
the nurse showed compassion. I really didnt deal with them much since i switched clinics after the diagnosis.
NY - Eastside
Dr. Sandler was very knowledgeable and kind. In the beginning he explained everything to us almost like a high school health class, making sure we undertood everything. The doctors at RMA work as a team and we liked all of them...Both Dr. Sandler and my ivf coordinator always spoke to us as kindly and explained everything clearly and kindly...Nurse] Keri was amazing. She was so friendly and clear and made us feel safe. She was great at giving bad news and clearly took pleasure in giving good news. It really felt like she cared...They are very organized and everyone is kind and helpful. We did not have any complaints.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Know that you will be working with the whole team of doctors and you won't know who will be doing what procedure.
We were lucky to have insurance cover 1 cycle
2009 - 2012
Dr Sandler was very personable and remembered previous discussions and was very honest...The entire staff [at RMA of New York] is great, but I wouldn't recommend this facility if the male partner is the problem.
2009 - 2012
European, Black or African-American, Native American
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
The entire staff is great, but I wouldn't recommend this facility if the male partner is the problem
Be patient
Corteous, professional and thorough
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's like a factory during monitoring hours, otherwise it's clean and the staff is friendly and competent
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a factory; get there as early as possible or you could be there for a long time
Between 9,000-10,000 a cycle and about 300-350 in medication co-pays
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
He’s very thorough. During the consolation Dr. Sandler goes over the whole reproductive process, your chances of conceiving and the full overview of what to expect. I was just hesitant going to a for profit place. But I’m on to my 3rd doctor and feel that I have to give RMA a fair chance too. The nurses seem to be there to support you along the way. I will say the nurses who draw blood aren’t as good as Columbia but I’m sure I can get over that. I felt that other places were too conservative and didn’t understand my rush even though I’m 36.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Go in with all of your previous blood work and a list of questions. He’s very knowledgeable so ask him anything.
I can ask them anything and they will get back to me ASAP.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The waiting time isn’t as bad as others - is Columbia. They have the process down well and know what you are in for when you arrive. The nurses who draw blood aren’t the best though. The office seems clean enough but it isn’t updated at all.
The total cost will probably be around $20k. We did an IUI with them that is still going through insurance. They will go over the cost of the meds and retrieval for you before you start and set up a payment plan. They have to look into your insurance first anyway to get approval.